Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,265 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:33 AM

Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff (1436 Views)

Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster / Nigeria Picks Kogi, Akwa Ibom For Nuclear Power Plants / Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by femiakinbully(m): 3:15pm On Mar 18, 2016
Punch reports that the government has announced that it will be generating an initial 1,000MW, and 4,000MW using nuclear energy.
Reports say this formed part of the discussions between President Muhammadu Buhari and the Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Mr. Yukiya Amano, during a meeting at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.

Nuclear power is the use of nuclear reactions that release nuclear energy[5] to generate heat, which most frequently is then used in steam turbines to produce electricity in a nuclear power station. The term includes nuclear fission, nuclear decay and nuclear fusion. Presently, the nuclear fission of elements in the actinide series of the periodic table produce the vast majority of nuclear energy in the direct service of humankind, with nuclear decay processes, primarily in the form of geothermal energy, and radioisotope thermoelectric generators, in niche uses making up the rest.
In 2011 nuclear power provided 10% of the world's electricity[6] In 2007, the IAEA reported there were 439 nuclear power reactors in operation in the world,[7] operating in 31 countries.[8] In Japan many reactors ceased operation in the wake of the Fukushima nuclear disaster while they are assessed for safety. In 2011 worldwide nuclear output fell by 4.3%, the largest decline on record, on the back of sharp declines in Japan (-44.3%) and Germany (-23.2%)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power

Personally I don’t think and believe Nigeria is ready for this kind of Installation as it requires extreme professionalism and precaution for which I say our public sector isn’t ready for.
Kindly observe or Maintenance cultures with our (Publicly owned) Refineries, Railway, Airlines, Hospitals, and Telecoms etc. i.e. if some are still existing.
I thank God that our Climate doesn’t have extreme weather cases like the hurricanes, earthquakes and all ,but we do have a few very greedy few who would rather divert money meant for the Upliftment of the Nation for their personal benefits .
God forbid salaries are not paid and the workers at the proposed Nuclear station refuse to show up for work or some insane extremist decide to detonate a bomb just to make a statement.
A disaster that can emanate from this negligence/chaos can be compared to any Hurricane, Earthquake that occurs in other parts of the world.

Our Great Nation is blessed with Rivers,*Coal and Gas Presence already, I’ll solicit that we build with what is available to us Hydro Power Stations,*Coal & Gas Plants *

Kindly note that these are my personal views and may differ from yours.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by baralatie(m): 3:33pm On Mar 18, 2016
It is called misplaced priorities!
If coal is 40%.I would rather stick with coal or gas than push for what is not ffeasible.

1 Like

Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by hardewaley04(m): 3:33pm On Mar 18, 2016
solar option nko ? .... with this sun whey dey fire us ...lalasticlala wink

2 Likes

Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by daveP(m): 3:50pm On Mar 18, 2016
they can't maintain ordinary infrastructure na nuclear they wan come start. even nig combat sef is enough reason for us to realize that
Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by suyamasta(m): 3:55pm On Mar 18, 2016
@op i strongly agree with you! The mambilla was said to have capacity of nothing less than 10,000 Mega watts yet the contract has been highly politicised
Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by Nobody: 4:03pm On Mar 18, 2016
This topic was discussed with all minute detail and scenarios covered in 2006 or so. Seeing it posted again means it would only get watered down to rubbish since the general IQ on this forum dropped after those early years.

OP, if you're looking for proper answers, do a search of the forum.

1 Like

Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by vicado74: 4:07pm On Mar 18, 2016
tired of this country self ..... angry
Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by alabiphorlarsha: 4:24pm On Mar 18, 2016
we can't handle nuclear ... its so obvious
Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by mrvitalis(m): 5:20pm On Mar 18, 2016
Am sorry op.. . U really do think have any idea on power generation.. . 15% uranium enriched power plants are very safe please
Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by Rooneyboy(m): 5:51pm On Mar 18, 2016
charix:
This topic was discussed with all minute detail and scenarios covered in 2006 or so. Seeing it posted again means it would only get watered down to rubbish since the general IQ on this forum dropped after those early years.

BOSS , where in the world have u been

have u checked out our latest prices @ 1k
Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by femiakinbully(m): 6:05pm On Mar 18, 2016
If I'm getting you right, you're saying I don't have the right to my opinion because a similar post was published a decade ago? Wow

charix:

Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by baralatie(m): 6:59pm On Mar 18, 2016
mrvitalis:
Am sorry op.. . U really do think have any idea on power generation.. . 15% uranium enriched power plants are very safe please
Explain the nuclear thermal failures in England,Japan
Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by drss(m): 7:02pm On Mar 18, 2016
d first neclear power plant should be build in katsina.

1 Like

Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by DaFlash: 7:02pm On Mar 18, 2016
I pity Nigeria

It seems they don't know about CHERNOBYL

Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by Nobody: 7:24pm On Mar 18, 2016
Rooneyboy:

BOSS , where in the world have u been

have u checked out our latest prices @ 1k
I would in the near future. For now still enjoying the 1gig I purchased recently.
Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by Nobody: 7:27pm On Mar 18, 2016
femiakinbully:
If I'm getting you right, you're saying I don't have the right to my opinion because a similar post was published a decade ago? Wow

No. I believe you should've checked the thread from decades ago. The responses you'd see there make more sense than what you'd receive now. I believe you should've posted your opinion there rather than opening a thread.
Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by mrvitalis(m): 8:31pm On Mar 18, 2016
baralatie:

Explain the nuclear thermal failures in England,Japan
What's the % of failure to other plant systems??
Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by baralatie(m): 8:50pm On Mar 18, 2016
mrvitalis:

What's the % of failure to other plant systems??
Then we bring in the environmental impact assessment of the failures of coal,gas and nuclear(which would be the greater evil)
Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by mikolo80: 11:35pm On Mar 18, 2016
baralatie:
It is called misplaced priorities!
If coal is 40%.I would rather stick with coal or gas than push for what is not ffeasible.
global warming and pollution nko
Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by naijaking1: 1:59am On Mar 19, 2016
Just shows you the mind set of our barely educated leaders. The culture, dedication, education, and security consciousness of the average Nigerians are not there to sustain a nuclear reactor safely now and probably in the next 20 years.
Re: Why The Nigerian Nuclear Project Should Not Takeoff by chinchum(m): 5:15am On Mar 19, 2016
Anything to guarantee improved power supply, we must think out of the box, if it would mean they import workers that will run the plant, so be it.

(1) (Reply)

Army Captures Leader Of Niger Delta avengers / banning Fulani Herdsmen will lead to other big things – Ango Abdullahi / Hilarious: Edo State APC Governorship Aspirant Campaign Poster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.