Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,950 members, 7,817,789 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

Meet The Worlds Poorest President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meet The Worlds Poorest President (2019 Views)

Pic Of The World Poorest President / Nigeria One Of The Poorest Countries In The World, Over 80m Living Below Poverty / Meet The World Poorest President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Worlds Poorest President by noeloge82(m): 6:03am On Mar 19, 2016
He lives on a farm, and his official car is a 1987 Volkswagen Beetle. He donates 90% of his monthly salary to charity. President of Uruguay, Jose Mujica, is not your average president.

It is commonplace to see some presidents of countries living lavish lifestyles, and in some extreme cases, looting their countries’ finances for personal gain. But not Mujica.

He is commonly known as the world’s “poorest” president because of his austere lifestyle.

Mujica rejected the luxurious presidential residence the government provided for him and instead opted to live on his wife’s farm located on a dirt road outside the country’s capital. They have no domestic workers – they do all the farm work by themselves. The only staff they have are two police officers.

In 2010, his annual personal wealth declaration – mandatory for officials in Uruguay – was $1,800, the value of his Beetle.

In an interview with BBC, he said:
“I’ve lived like this most of my life, I can live well with what I have

I’m called ‘the poorest president’, but I don’t feel poor. Poor people are those who only work to try to keep an expensive lifestyle, and always want more and more

This is a matter of freedom. If you don’t have many possessions then you don’t need to work all your life like a slave to sustain them, and therefore you have more time for yourself…”

Mujica also has unique views about poverty alleviation. In the 2012 Rio+20 summit he stated:
But what are we thinking? Do we want the model of development and consumption of the rich countries? I ask you now: what would happen to this planet if Indians would have the same proportion of cars per household than Germans? How much oxygen would we have left?

“Does this planet have enough resources so seven or eight billion can have the same level of consumption and waste that today is seen in rich societies? It is this level of hyper-consumption that is harming our planet.

An Arab sheikh recently offered him $1 million for his Beetle. Mujica is currently considering the offer, and says that if he does sell it, he will donate the money to charity.

Source;http://bbcafricanews..nl/2015/06/meet-worlds-poorest-president-who-lives.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by martinchinedu(m): 6:05am On Mar 19, 2016
Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by McCarlito(m): 6:09am On Mar 19, 2016

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by noeloge82(m): 6:09am On Mar 19, 2016
Walks alone most times

1 Like

Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by delishpot: 6:10am On Mar 19, 2016
Buhari no carry that tittle?

1 Like

Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by Goldencollins: 6:12am On Mar 19, 2016
Buhari na world cattle rarer President.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by HungerBAD: 6:14am On Mar 19, 2016
Very old News.
Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by Pennsylvania: 6:15am On Mar 19, 2016
This is an old news na, saw it early last year

4 Likes

Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by delishpot: 6:19am On Mar 19, 2016
Pennsylvania:
This is an old news na, saw it early last year

Guessed as much. There is a new sheriff in town
Buhari took over
Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by Johnny19: 6:24am On Mar 19, 2016
I'd be so glad if we can have this man as a president.... Today is my buyday abeg help me celebrate cool

4 Likes

Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by Pennsylvania: 6:27am On Mar 19, 2016
delishpot:
Guessed as much. There is a new sheriff in town Buhari took over

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by noeloge82(m): 6:42am On Mar 19, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin
delishpot:

Guessed as much. There is a new sheriff in town
Buhari took over

1 Like

Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by Gracito(f): 6:45am On Mar 19, 2016
B
Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by Ayoemrys(m): 6:47am On Mar 19, 2016
uhm what an outstanding man,this is the tru merit of a leader,it remind of the saviour,jesus christ,u can not recognize him among His disciples,why?becouse,He was so humble,He always sit with His disciples,He eat wat they eat,He walketh on foot with them even though He has autority to summon horse,He even watch His disciples legs,what a good example for the reasonable leader,but unfortunatly our todays leader do the opposite,they forgot that they are suppose to act as a sarvant to us not as a boss,they are to serve us not to kill us,not to exploit us,not to embazle our money,not to treat us like a slave,GOD is watching,i respect you sir mr president more greese to your elbow sir,

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by Bishop4bella(m): 6:48am On Mar 19, 2016
Only people with pure heart can do that unlike some of his counterparts who have soiled their hands.

God give me a pure heart to know that I came into this world with nothing and nothing I shall return. Only my deed will speak for here on earth and there in heaven.

3 Likes

Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by michiyke2003(m): 6:49am On Mar 19, 2016
Try that in nigeria,kidnappers will use u to shine
Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by McCarlito(m): 6:52am On Mar 19, 2016
delishpot:
Guessed as much.
There is a new sheriff in town
Buhari took over
Babe see Buhari for ur back
Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by delishpot: 6:59am On Mar 19, 2016
McCarlito:

Babe see Buhari for ur back

Na my god father na. You no see my name for CBN backyard employment list?
Na who you think say help me enter that level? I no fear to see him for my back. Inshort he dey for my back gidigbam like Aso rock stand for Abuja.
Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by McCarlito(m): 7:13am On Mar 19, 2016
delishpot:

Na my god father na. You no see my name for CBN backyard employment list?
Na who you think say help me enter that level? I no fear to see him for my back. Inshort he dey for my back gidigbam like Aso rock stand for Abuja.
Babe... Ur head dey there.....
Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by divinehand2003(m): 7:19am On Mar 19, 2016
Buhari is a changed man. His Innocent intentions are being corrupted by the devils in Aso Rock. A look at his padded budget will tell you all you need to know about Buhari.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by DBossNG(m): 7:39am On Mar 19, 2016
Unbelievable

1 Like

Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by Sunky200: 7:55am On Mar 19, 2016
that is an examplary selfless leader
may happiness never depart from his households

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by banio: 9:07am On Mar 19, 2016
Poor people are those that work endlessly to satisfy an expensive lifestyle.

Jose M (Uruguay President)

1 Like

Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by wins18(m): 12:03pm On Mar 19, 2016
Just wow!!!
Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by wins18(m): 12:10pm On Mar 19, 2016
michiyke2003:

That shows that Africans are still wayward... I am still waiting for the time that we start minding our business and let others be
Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by noeloge82(m): 10:06pm On Mar 19, 2016
This kiDnapping thing started recently in Nigeria as a matter of fact it was around 2002 that we started hearing of kidnappers and I believe with time Nigeria will overcome it
michiyke2003:
Re: Meet The Worlds Poorest President by Godjone(m): 10:49pm On Mar 19, 2016
That Buhari pics wey dey up sha grin

(1) (Reply)

See What Happened At Agbado Area Of Ogun Today After The Storm (pic) / 9 Funny Names Nigerians Call President Buhari / Caption This Picture Of Akpabio And Justice Inyang Okoro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.