Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,781 members, 7,817,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday (16797 Views)

Palm Sunday: Ugandans Hired A White Man To Play Jesus For Them / VIOLENT. The Kingdom Of Heaven Suffers Violence. The Misinterpretation . / My Favourite Bible Passage: The Palm Tree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by Frontier2: 10:17am On Mar 20, 2016
I woke up this morning and then decided to read through different social media platform with my phantom 5 about what people interpret about palm Sunday but I feel truth must be told so I decided to just write little i think we should know about palm Sunday.

Palm Sunday is the Sunday before Easter and begins Passion Week. It is the day that Christians celebrate Jesus' "triumphal entry" into Jerusalem, an event recorded in Matthew 21:1-11 , Mark 11:1-11 , Luke 19:28-44 , and John 12:12-19 . On that day, as Jesus and His disciples travelled toward Jerusalem, Jesus sent two disciples ahead to locate a donkey. They returned with the donkey and spread their cloaks on it, and then Jesus rode into Jerusalem on the donkey. When He did, crowds gathered, spreading their clothes and branches (John specifies palm branches) on the ground and shouting, "Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord, even the King of Israel!" (John 12:13 ). "Hosanna" is a term of praise that also carries with it a cry for salvation or help. Making a path with garments or branches was a customary way of honoring a person (2 Kings 9:13 ), similar to laying out a red carpet in modern times.

Palm branches were seen as symbolic of victory. Interestingly, in ancient Egypt palm branches were used in funeral processions to represent eternal life. In Eastern tradition a donkey symbolizes coming in peace; it is used in place of a war horse to make the distinction. In essence, the people were praising Jesus and asking Him to be their Messiah, though likely in a political context rather than in a spiritual context. Sadly, less than a week later, the same people shouting "Hosanna" would shout "Crucify him" (John 19:6 ).

Today, many churches celebrate Palm Sunday with reenactments of the triumphal entry. Catholic churches often bless palm branches with holy water and then distribute them to congregants. These palm branches are then saved for use the following Ash Wednesday. In regions where palm branches are not readily available, branches of other trees are used.
Please read and think about this... make use of your smartphones to know more about God as am doing with my Tecno phantom 5 not just using it to Facebook alone. Thanks.. Happy palm Sunday.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by Fr33born(m): 10:22am On Mar 20, 2016
Frontier2:
I woke up this morning and then decided to read through different social media platform with my phantom 5 about what people interpret about palm Sunday but I feel truth must be told so I decided to just write little i think we should know about palm Sunday.

Palm Sunday is the Sunday before Easter and begins Passion Week. It is the day that Christians celebrate Jesus' "triumphal entry" into Jerusalem, an event recorded in Matthew 21:1-11 , Mark 11:1-11 , Luke 19:28-44 , and John 12:12-19 . On that day, as Jesus and His disciples travelled toward Jerusalem, Jesus sent two disciples ahead to locate a donkey. They returned with the donkey and spread their cloaks on it, and then Jesus rode into Jerusalem on the donkey. When He did, crowds gathered, spreading their clothes and branches (John specifies palm branches) on the ground and shouting, "Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord, even the King of Israel!" (John 12:13 ). "Hosanna" is a term of praise that also carries with it a cry for salvation or help. Making a path with garments or branches was a customary way of honoring a person (2 Kings 9:13 ), similar to laying out a red carpet in modern times.

Palm branches were seen as symbolic of victory. Interestingly, in ancient Egypt palm branches were used in funeral processions to represent eternal life. In Eastern tradition a donkey symbolizes coming in peace; it is used in place of a war horse to make the distinction. In essence, the people were praising Jesus and asking Him to be their Messiah, though likely in a political context rather than in a spiritual context. Sadly, less than a week later, the same people shouting "Hosanna" would shout "Crucify him" (John 19:6 ).

Today, many churches celebrate Palm Sunday with reenactments of the triumphal entry. Catholic churches often bless palm branches with holy water and then distribute them to congregants. These palm branches are then saved for use the following Ash Wednesday. In regions where palm branches are not readily available, branches of other trees are used.
Please read and think about this... make use of your smartphones to know more about God as am doing with my Tecno phantom 5 not just using it to Facebook alone. Thanks.. Happy palm Sunday.

well, i just read this with my Nokia C1.
....Alliswell.

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by Anuoluwapo23(f): 10:27am On Mar 20, 2016
Cc:lalasticlala obinoscopy ishilove this is a good post Wow!!! Truth must be told really is not everybody that know this.. This should make Frontpage
FTC....

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by adegunwa4real(m): 11:09am On Mar 20, 2016
Anuoluwapo23:
Cc:lalasticlala obinoscopy ishilove this is a good post Wow!!! Truth must be told really is not everybody that know this.. This should make Frontpage
FTC....

FTC ke? Eiyahh...look up princess cry u just wasted all ur energy to call the whole NL mods tongue tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by eli23456(f): 11:32am On Mar 20, 2016
Yes that's true people only use their phones to browse unnecessary things instead of reading the word of God.. Happy palm Sunday.

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by Glory12345(f): 11:34am On Mar 20, 2016
Happy palm Sunday

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by Anuoluwapo23(f): 11:37am On Mar 20, 2016
adegunwa4real:

FTC ke? Eiyahh...look up princess cry u just wasted all ur energy to call the whole NL mods tongue tongue
ooo ooo!!!! Hmmm!!! I didn't know nau thought am the first to comment.. Whatever..
Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by Whizkeey(m): 12:04pm On Mar 20, 2016
Hosanna !
Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by dapyd1(m): 12:04pm On Mar 20, 2016
Your post is very educative but you kept mentioning your Phantom 5.
I read the post twice and the mention of the phone does not in anyway add anything meaningful to the post.

I'm not castigating you, just saying the mention of the phone makes you look pompous especially when you are describing a Person and situation so humble

30 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by winner01(m): 12:05pm On Mar 20, 2016
God bless you all
Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by macino1(m): 12:05pm On Mar 20, 2016
Noted. . .but the concentration is more on the phone than the palm Sunday write up

14 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by adegunwa4real(m): 12:06pm On Mar 20, 2016
Anuoluwapo23:
ooo ooo!!!! Hmmm!!! I didn't know nau thought am the first to comment.. Whatever..

tongue tongue tongue
Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by Pineapp: 12:06pm On Mar 20, 2016
Good.
My mum used to hang it on the door undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by nurez305(m): 12:06pm On Mar 20, 2016
Ok

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by FineBro(m): 12:07pm On Mar 20, 2016
Phantom 5 undecided

2 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by DonEffiong(m): 12:07pm On Mar 20, 2016
welldone chairman

Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by vonn(f): 12:07pm On Mar 20, 2016
But must you emphasize on the phone model?
Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 12:07pm On Mar 20, 2016
Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord.
Happy palm sunday

2 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by stevendolly(m): 12:08pm On Mar 20, 2016
Fr33born:

I just read it with my phantom z too. Lol.#Dolly.
Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by powerfulsettingz: 12:08pm On Mar 20, 2016
In my church nothing like palm Sunday?
Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by Amiano(m): 12:09pm On Mar 20, 2016
Hossana Hossana Hossana

Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by Nobody: 12:09pm On Mar 20, 2016
I saw your topic on Nairaland with my Nokia 1100. undecided

I am commenting with my Sendo phone.

So you can see I am using my smart phones for something good.

Yeye undecided grin

2 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by Gbaba1: 12:10pm On Mar 20, 2016
Happy palm sunday
Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by megareal: 12:10pm On Mar 20, 2016
I thought you were going to list different ways palm Sunday is misinterpreted by the modern church, but you only quoted scriptures and mentioned the Catholic church. Is that all? Is it the Catholic practice that is wrong or all other practices? Maybe I'm not seeing too well or don't understand.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by Adonis3: 12:12pm On Mar 20, 2016
Frontier2:
I woke up this morning and then decided to read through different social media platform with my phantom 5

seriously??shocked

I didn't know ooo

Oya meet lalasticlala to give you your medalundecided

Iranu!

#Adonis3HasSopken
Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by ernesty20(m): 12:12pm On Mar 20, 2016
Buhari sef
Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by joygrace168: 12:12pm On Mar 20, 2016
Anuoluwapo23:
FTC....
Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by ItzTun3chi(m): 12:14pm On Mar 20, 2016
undecided is there anything we don't misinterprete in 9ja grin grin grin happy palm sunday sha

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by jideprof: 12:14pm On Mar 20, 2016
phantom 5 grin
Re: The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday by omgismholly(f): 12:16pm On Mar 20, 2016
Amiano:
Hossana Hossana Hossana
Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord
hossana in d highest smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Reasons To Accept The Resurrection Of Jesus As An Historical Fact / A Trip Down Memory Lane: My Book Of Bible Stories / Cash Crunch: Tithes, Offerings Drop In Churches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.