Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,044 members, 7,818,140 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:48 AM

Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors (25796 Views)

Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. / Thread For Aspiring Lecturers / Thread For Teachers, Educators, Academicians, Lecturers And Educationists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by Tolakay: 7:42pm On Apr 02, 2016
Adesiji77:

cheesy

Do you have any professional accounting qualification? Qualifications?
Nope, but currently a student member/ACA (In View) skills stage
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by MzDeeb(f): 8:00pm On Apr 02, 2016
optimusmind:

I guess you are one of the few that distinguished themselves during their school days.
Keep soaring, I wish you the best.

Hahaha.. *iffa hear*.

Thanks anyways.

May i know you as well?
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by Nobody: 8:19pm On Apr 02, 2016
MzDeeb:

Hahaha.. *iffa hear*.

Thanks anyways.

May i know you as well?

Currently studying Accounting at () and also writing my professional exams (ATSIII-ICAN).
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by zezebabyxoxo: 11:52pm On Apr 02, 2016
Ok
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by Perpetual459: 10:15am On Apr 03, 2016
Perpetual459:
a friend of mine just resigned from oil coy so he wants to be paying his tax based on self assessment, pls how does he go about. though when he was in d coy a monthly tax deduction was made from his salary but no tax no was given to him.
this is d 2nd question I will ask on this thread but no answer,hope d thread is for accounting professional?
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by froxykiss(m): 6:15pm On Apr 03, 2016
Am fresh graduate, currently serving in audit dept...
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by labiola: 6:21pm On Apr 03, 2016
Perpetual459:

this is d 2nd question I will ask on this thread but no answer,hope d thread is for accounting professional?

Bros sorry about the delay in response to your question. As for your friend's tax issue, you need to give more info. Is your friend now operating his own company? If yes, is the coy Limited or business name? If business name he will be assessed to tax through direct assessment to the state Board of internal revenue he resides. If limited, let him prepare financial statement and pay his tax accordingly to FIRS.
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by Nobody: 6:45pm On Apr 03, 2016
at last.... a thread for people like me.... sad
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by Perpetual459: 9:12pm On Apr 03, 2016
labiola:

Bros sorry about the delay in response to your question. As for your friend's tax issue, you need to give more info. Is your friend now operating his own company? If yes, is the coy Limited or business name? If business name he will be assessed to tax through direct assessment to the state Board of internal revenue he resides. If limited, let him prepare financial statement and pay his tax accordingly to FIRS.
Thanks for the response. He is planning to start his own biz next month but he just want to be paying something as tax b4 he start biz.Though I told him to start biz first b4 paying bt he insisted.
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by Talkingboy: 9:57pm On Apr 03, 2016
froxykiss:
Am fresh graduate, currently serving in audit dept...

Hello brother .

What state nd which company, ?
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by Nobody: 7:07am On Apr 04, 2016
Perpetual459:

Thanks for the response. He is planning to start his own biz next month but he just want to be paying something as tax b4 he start biz.Though I told him to start biz first b4 paying bt he insisted.
He should start his business first.
ASSESMENT OF BUSINESS INCOME
In the assessment of business income, there are two types of expenses,
A. Taxable or non-allowable expenses
This are expenses that when paid for would be added back when the relevant tax authority wants to determine his taxable income.
They include
I. Depreciation
Ii. General provision for bad debt
Iii. Personal drawings
Iv. Donation to churches, political parties
V. Donation above 10% of total profit.
Vi. Capital expenses such as that connected to the purchase of assets
( there are more, download ICAN Taxation study pack and read up assessment of business income)

B. Non-taxable or allowable expenses
This are expenses which are lessed from the net profit when the relevant authority wants to determine income liable to tax. They include
I. Specific provision for bad debt
Ii. Donation to approved charity Organization
Iii. Profit on disposal of assets

There's more.... Maybe he should consult a small accounting firm. It would be affordable
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by labiola: 7:58am On Apr 04, 2016
Perpetual459:

Bros, it is not right for him to pay tax if his not earning income. But if he chose to pay tax, let him get paye ID and pay to the govt account.
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by Perpetual459: 10:55am On Apr 04, 2016
labiola:

Bros, it is not right for him to pay tax if his not earning income. But if he chose to pay tax, let him get paye ID and pay to the govt account.
Thank u so much.
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by Perpetual459: 10:56am On Apr 04, 2016
optimusmind:

He should start his business first.
ASSESMENT OF BUSINESS INCOME
In the assessment of business income, there are two types of expenses,
A. Taxable or non-allowable expenses
This are expenses that when paid for would be added back when the relevant tax authority wants to determine his taxable income.
They include
I. Depreciation
Ii. General provision for bad debt
Iii. Personal drawings
Iv. Donation to churches, political parties
V. Donation above 10% of total profit.
Vi. Capital expenses such as that connected to the purchase of assets
( there are more, download ICAN Taxation study pack and read up assessment of business income)

B. Non-taxable or allowable expenses
This are expenses which are lessed from the net profit when the relevant authority wants to determine income liable to tax. They include
I. Specific provision for bad debt
Ii. Donation to approved charity Organization
Iii. Profit on disposal of assets

There's more.... Maybe he should consult a small accounting firm. It would be affordable
Thanks,God bless u
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by Nobody: 12:05pm On Apr 04, 2016
Perpetual459:

Thanks,God bless u
You are welcome.
To add a little, the reason why he would start his business is tax is based on what you earn, so how can he pay tax when he hasn't earned?
There are also provisions for treatment of Loss( loss relief) in case he makes loss.
So my advice;
A. Start his business
B. Keep very accurate records
C. Consult a firm to help him properly design is books of record.
D. Work hard smiley
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by stanliano(m): 2:15pm On Apr 04, 2016
Pls can anyone advice on the text books to use on ICAN Skill level
for FINANCIAL REPORTING, PUBLIC SECTOR ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE, MANAGEMENT, GOVERNANCE AND ETHICS AND Performance Management (PM)
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by Perpetual459: 3:35pm On Apr 04, 2016
optimusmind:

You are welcome.
To add a little, the reason why he would start his business is tax is based on what you earn, so how can he pay tax when he hasn't earned?
There are also provisions for treatment of Loss( loss relief) in case he makes loss.
So my advice;
A. Start his business
B. Keep very accurate records
C. Consult a firm to help him properly design is books of record.
D. Work hard smiley

Your write- up is quite explanatory,i ll talk to him then,once again God bless u
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by Nobody: 3:41pm On Apr 04, 2016
Perpetual459:

Your write- up is quite explanatory,i ll talk to him then,once again God bless u
Amen et Gracias
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by ziezy(m): 8:20am On Apr 05, 2016
Go get ACCA past questions and answers pack. (except for PSAF).
stanliano:
Pls can anyone advice on the text books to use on ICAN Skill level
for FINANCIAL REPORTING, PUBLIC SECTOR ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE, MANAGEMENT, GOVERNANCE AND ETHICS AND Performance Management (PM)
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by phykel(m): 9:54am On Apr 05, 2016
Pls I need your Advice Auditors in the house.
I recently finished from scul with a Degree in Comp-Sci with Economics.I also have a Professional Certification in ITIL v3.Howeve,I will like to specialize in Digital Forensics.I have laid my hands on some books on Forensics.I'm currently reading for my CISA (Certified Information System Auditor) exam later this year.
1.What is the prospects of getting Job with the Big four with my CISA?
2.I won't mind any meeting any CISA guy here
3. Digital Forensics any prospect in Nigeria?
4.I heared about Certified Fraud examiner to.shed more light
Thanks for your anticipated response
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by Nobody: 10:46am On Apr 05, 2016
phykel:
Pls I need your Advice Auditors in the house.
I recently finished from scul with a Degree in Comp-Sci with Economics.I also have a Professional Certification in ITIL v3.Howeve,I will like to specialize in Digital Forensics.I have laid my hands on some books on Forensics.I'm currently reading for my CISA (Certified Information System Auditor) exam later this year.
1.What is the prospects of getting Job with the Big four with my CISA?
2.I won't mind any meeting any CISA guy here
3. Digital Forensics any prospect in Nigeria?
4.I heared about Certified Fraud examiner to.shed more light
Thanks for your anticipated response

So long as u are below 26, made a second call upper, and 5 credits in waec in one sitting, then you can apply for the big four. Your getting in I believe is highly contingent on you passing their aptitude tests, only after that would they look at any other professional qualifications you have.
Unless you going in as an experienced hire
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by Rubyventures: 3:06pm On Apr 06, 2016
ncpat:

I will answer this question to the best of my knowledge without conducting any research. First and foremost this question is made up of two questions, that is minimum and realistic. The government approved minimum wage in Nigeria is N18,000 but this does not apply to private companies, that means private companies can only pay as they wish but remember that your payment with private companies are always spelt out in their letter of terms or letter of contract also known as appointment letter and you are required to reply if you accept the offer. The realistic part is that the minimum any small company can pay or should pay for such position as mentioned above is N60,000 above . I hope I have answer you but if not, please feel free to ask again.

Thanks for your answer . Maybe what I meant to say is that what is the minimum you can pay to get a good accountant/bookkeeper for a small start up company? I want a good accounts person but right now the funds are not there to pay full market rate, if the profits of the company improve then so will the wages.
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by Rubyventures: 3:12pm On Apr 06, 2016
lovedbyall1992:

Depending on your revenue. You should know how much to pay. Since we're talking S.P, N75k+ seems reasonable for newly qualified accountant.

Thanks
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by Sylver247: 3:53pm On Apr 07, 2016
labiola:

Am looking at it from the point of Internal Auditor not as a consultant in a firm. I presently work as Internal Auditor with over 7yrs working experience. I can tell you is boring. I also have over 4yrs experience as an external Auditor, I trained with one of the oldest local firm in Nigeria. When I left practice to pick a job offer in a company as internal Auditor, after 3 weeks on my new desk, I wanted to resign and return to my firm.Have been used to going from one client to another. Though IA is interesting when you work in environment where the tone from the top is strong. It is also dangerous when you work in environment that is full of thief and you are not ready to compromise your integrity and value.

Hello sir.
Please I received an interview invite for an Internal auditor position in a hospitality company.
I don't really have any experience in auditing so am a bit confused on the functions and how to present myself to them at the interview. Though am experienced in admin and sales.

Please can u just give me clues as to the functions and how I can sell myself at the interview.
Thanks.
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by Sylver247: 4:10pm On Apr 07, 2016
MzDeeb:

You need to understand this very well.

Internal Auditors evaluates and provides reasonable assurance that
the control in place are working effectively.

What we have are processes n procedures that process owners do
work with which is called the [SOP].

Which we then test to know if they are following it or if it needs review etc

Hello ma
pls I am going for an interview for the post of an IA.
pls what do i need to know? Am not experienced in this field yet and am a bit scared.
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by jessysparkles(f): 10:01pm On Apr 09, 2016
MzDeeb:

I totally agree with you that External Auditing is statutory.

However, i have my reservations on you last statement - *bombarding *accountant like you* with duties*? I'm quite sure you really do not understand the job duties of an Internal auditor else you would not have made that statement.

However, having tasted the two[ both external n Internal] . I prefer Internal Auditing any time any day because Internal Auditors have numerous opportunities for professional advancement due to their exposure to various business processes and sectors of the economy.

In the course of their engagements, Internal auditors gain domain and subject matter expertise while reviewing various business processes in line with best practices.

Combine this with business knowledge and you have professionals with the potential to function as better administrators than their operational
counterparts when the opportunity arrives.

In summary, this means that in future, i can fit into any adepartment and do exceptionally well as a result of my knowledge and expertise gained from various engagements.

There are so many advantages of being an external auditor as well. Which i enjoyed when i was one.

However, i would appreciate it if we auditors stop distinguishing one as being superior. We all are auditors. We are one.

#Peace#
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by ziezy(m): 5:14am On Apr 10, 2016
Hello Everyone.

Pls I'll like to know about d possibilities of moving from 'smaller' firm to d big 4 . Pros n Cons .. How does it work ... Anyone with ds kinda transition

cc optimusmind
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by Nobody: 5:48am On Apr 10, 2016
ziezy:
Hello Everyone.

Pls I'll like to know about d possibilities of moving from 'smaller' firm to d big 4 . Pros n Cons .. How does it work ... Anyone with ds kinda transition

cc optimusmind

Experienced hire or Graduate Trainee?
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by ziezy(m): 6:19am On Apr 10, 2016
optimusmind:

Experienced hire or Graduate Trainee?

As experienced hire ... worked in d small firm for say one or two years to get d basics and some certifications

I'd love to know how it works for graduate trainee too though.

but since getting into d big 4 is kinda a "big deal" ..I'm thinking going for smaller firms to get d basics n moving to big 4 can be a great plan

what's ur opinion n what would u advise
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by tboycares: 11:36am On Apr 10, 2016
hello....I am still a student of Unilag pt accounting but I am in my final year. I need an audit training. I wish to start my career as an auditor. can anyone on this trend help in securing that? I will be so grateful . thanks
Re: Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors by Nobody: 11:55am On Apr 10, 2016
ziezy:

As experienced hire ... worked in d small firm for say one or two years to get d basics and some certifications

I'd love to know how it works for graduate trainee too though.

but since getting into d big 4 is kinda a "big deal" ..I'm thinking going for smaller firms to get d basics n moving to big 4 can be a great plan

what's ur opinion n what would u advise
To the best of my knowledge and information on their website
Graduate Trainees are expected to;
1. Have a minimum of second class upper in their first degree.
2. Below 26 years of age.
3. Must have completed NYSC
4. Pass an aptitude Test and interview assessment.
5. Passed WAEC in one sitting including English and Maths.

Experiend hire are expected to;
1.A minimum of second class upper in any discipline at the bachelor's degree
Below 32 years of age.
2. At least five credits in one sitting, including Mathematics and English Language, at the O' Levels.
3. A minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience.
4. Pass an aptitude test and panel interview.

I believe getting in is not a big deal. Preparation is the key.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sportbetting Is About To Ruin My Career / Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? / The Cripple Cobbler Gets A New Wheel-chair (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.