Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,988 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:50 AM

Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? (25799 Views)

Should I Quit My 30k Job Or Continue And Hope For A Better Days / Second Class Upper At 26 Years of age, any hope securing a graduate trainee job. / My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by pocohantas(f): 11:26pm On Jul 25, 2022
I saw THIS THREAD on the frontpage and I must say the points there were very educational.

Tensazangetsu20 (I always read your username as Tetanus, lol!) and Dr Levi, I enjoyed reading your arguments.

I am curious and I gave this a good thought yesterday. Whenever we mention remote work, people only think TECH and everything that revolves around it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love tech and I remain intrigued by people in tech. They are doing something I can’t do and that is genius.

I remember when I first considered remote work, I asked a friend and he said I should go learn PROGRAMMING. I hate computers. I believe we all know our capabilities, so I was quite sure it wasn’t for me.

Some people would never be tech. I have seen people struggle with it for years. The whole tech craze reminds me of how every Nigerian in America wants to be a caregiver. Whereas there are other sectors that may not pay as high, but would pay good enough.

MY QUESTIONS ARE;

1)WHAT IS OUT THERE FOR NON-TECH PEOPLE?

2) WHAT IS A GOOD REMOTE PAY PER MONTH?

Cc: Lalasticlala
Mynd44

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:34pm On Jul 25, 2022
There's a lot. You could be a Salesforce admin. You could do marketing automation with tools like Salesforce marketing cloud or pardot. Their certifications are very highly valued. An entry level job in those fields will pay you more than even some senior devs in Nigeria sef and there's so much demand out there's it's so crazy. Research on tech platforms and no code tools there's always an administrative side to it which absolutely no programmer wants to use and touch and get good at those administrative tasks. Get insanely good and extremely dangerous and watch your fortunes change.

100 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by 2buffagain(m): 11:36pm On Jul 25, 2022
A few things,

Nigerians have a culture of overly taking advantage of everything to excess so it will be tough.

Also a lot of business processes in Naija are still fairly analogue.

Also the uncertainty of infrastructure means you can't trust your good employee won't run into NEPA or data problem in the middle of an important meeting which they would have to resolve with their own personal resources. The only way to control such scenarios is to have them come in to a space where you are already actively paying to take care of and control those environmental factors.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by VeryWickedMan: 11:37pm On Jul 25, 2022
There are many non-tech remote jobs like customer care reps, sales executives, product managers/owners, software testers etc.

Pay is by experience level. $1k-$1.5k for beginners, $2k-$3.5k for mid and $5k+ for experienced roles depending on your field. Bear in mind that you have an 80% chance of being shortchanged if you have a Nigerian supervisor who will slash your pay and give you like 50% or less of these figures.

I supervise some African devs and I slash their salaries by more than 60% sometimes and divert it for myself. $500 is already big salary in Nigeria so any of them that complains gets kicked out at the next appraisal and replaced ASAP with someone who's willing to accept even less.

29 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by 2buffagain(m): 11:48pm On Jul 25, 2022
VeryWickedMan:
There are many non-tech remote jobs like customer care reps, sales executives, product managers/owners, software testers etc.

Pay is by experience level. $1k-$1.5k for beginners, $2k-$3.5k for mid and $5k+ for experienced roles depending on your field. Bear in mind that you have an 80% chance of being shortchanged if you have a Nigerian supervisor who will slash your pay and give you like 50% or less of these figures.

I supervise some African devs and I slash their salaries by more than 60% sometimes and divert it for myself. $500 is already big salary in Nigeria so any of them that complains gets kicked out at the next appraisal and replaced ASAP with someone who's willing to accept even less.

Very wicked man indeed grin

172 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by Nobody: 12:15am On Jul 26, 2022
WHAT IS OUT THERE FOR NON-TECH PEOPLE?
Striaght answer:
virtual assistant,
writing
voice over,
tech helpdesk,
translation,
3d art,
Animation,
music/beats.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot here which you can find if you visit the home page of any freelance site.

but the fact is all these have always been there. In fact only tech roles just recently opened up since covid and suddenly everyone seems to act like there haven't been people offering services outside programming for years as freelancers right from their homes to foreigners since forever
tech is the trend now and everyone want to be a developers. I blame twitter tech bros, na them cause this thing

The fact is, even the tech roles are not even there. Forget the hype on twitter, you'll understand when you get enough experience to apply for a job. Its hard to get, very hard.

WHAT IS A GOOD REMOTE PAY PER MONTH?
Collect whatever you see. With the exchange rate, you'd still leave a good life. There's no "good" salary and you should remove that thought from your mind. You should try to do good work and build trust, professionalism and reputation instead. You can charge whatever you want when your have years to experience to back your skill.

56 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by chatinent: 2:06am On Jul 26, 2022
I go use pidgin. No vex.

True true, time go reach when administrative work go disappear unto say AI go take over. The takeover is already in place.

Tech is the future.

And e dey easy to learn now because na the basics. Soon, it will be expensive because of the demands.

But what I think?
It will always look difficult if we keep calling it technology. Technology is actually that skill everyone has. My dummy thoughts tho.

Did a voice over as an amateur for an Indian couple and they were wanting more. And I am like..with this my yeye voice? Hehe.

Tried virtual assistance..with a faster speed rate of delivering 10k words in a day. Employer asked how I did it. I no tell am. That's my secret...pay me.

Opened a website for a man running a candy shop in 20minutes, designed and functional. Dude was all surprised. First guy charged him $4000 for 3 weeks. I charged $2k for few minutes. You can guess the rest. No bi say I sabi pass the first person, no. But I only learn things with AI these days...it just makes works easier.

For instance, there's a tool to do everything you do in an office for a week in minutes. What's really the need visiting? You snap the paper, it converts to Word. It computes..provides options for charts and many more. Then why do humans suffer?

So I used to draw when I was lil. Like I draw well. But later, I found one tool where you put the original picture and it paints it like hand drawn. What I do, I freelanced with it. You can hardly tell... My secret? Simple tool! Faster delivery!

Everybody has a skill. Try doing the lil graphic design you know...it's money.

Even if na only pidgin you sabi translate to, visit sites and offer to translate their webpages to Nigerian pidgin. They may not pay you at first...yeah, work as an intern. They will add you to translation team. Na CV bi that for next paying jobs.

I'm proud to say I am a contributor and developer at Google. Oya ask me what I did. Na just to do survey and review. Offered to translate too. grin No bi say I kuma do anything self. But that batch that year, I was enlisted as a contributor. But you needed to see how I boosted with “Developer at Google” during my Fiverr days.

Same with Wikipedia. I helped edited some profile. My name enter team from Nigeria that year. grin It was in my freelance CV, trust me.

I'm sorry but I like money... genuine money tho.

Just do it right and yes, boast about it in your CV.

Everyone has a skill.

I know of a dude online who says he has no skill..but he sends potatoes as love notes to emotionally depressed folks. Dude is a freaking millionaire.

I believe every skill is technical. You just need to know to apply it to meet the audience.

So many ways to make money..but it requires consistency.

Did I forget? I think the analogue age hasn't really passed so far we remain a developing country.

So cashing out it easy until tomorrow.

I no dey too do webinar again..cos I have personal businesses to manage...pay me N100k make I dedicate one week put skill into you. Trust me, e no go affect your normal jobs.

No caps.

179 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by jesmond3945: 3:43am On Jul 26, 2022
pocohantas:
I saw THIS THREAD on the frontpage and I must say the points there were very educational.

oyibo company would always prioritize their people over you. They will only offer you positions were there are shortages. So tech and health are areas were there are shortages.

12 Likes

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by SavageBoy: 5:02am On Jul 26, 2022
Tech still remains the best for whoever that wants a remote work.

But if you don't wanna go through that route, then you can follow tensa's suggestion; salesforce admin. The pay is quite huge, though some are of the notion that salesforce admin roles are being taken by salesforce developers, but I still believe one can get a job solely as a salesforce admin. Just understand the salesforce platform well, write the salesforce cert exam, and start looking for remote job opportunities.

If you're good with words, you could try freelance writing(with good SEO skills). Though it seems saturated, but a lot of folks jumping into writing are really mediocre writers. Sometime last year,around December ending or so, a particular fb friend of mine, Chima mmeje made a post that she was $2K short of earning her first 6-figure income in dollars as a writer based in Nigeria. Though she left Nigeria to the UK few months ago, she's still a testimony that some really good writers earn really well even here in Nigeria.

You could also try product design, that too is nice and affords you lot of opportunity to work remitely. Some people say virtual assistant is good too, I don't have much idea about it.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by The5DME(m): 6:07am On Jul 26, 2022
It is well.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by folake4u(f): 7:37am On Jul 26, 2022
Great thread.

I dey find Remote work wey them go pay my Japa visa and I go land for obodo oyibo. cheesy

Please point us to that type of work biko. I'm certain I speak the minds of many people viewing this thread abi? wink

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by Myzubby(m): 8:47am On Jul 26, 2022
chatinent:
I go use pidgin. No vex.

True true, time go reach when administrative work go disappear unto say AI go take over. The takeover is already in place.

Tech is the future.

And e dey easy to learn now because na the basics. Soon, it will be expensive because of the demands.

But what I think?
It will always look difficult if we keep calling it technology. Technology is actually that skill everyone has. My dummy thoughts tho.

Did a voice over as an amateur for an Indian couple and they were wanting more. And I am like..with this my yeye voice? Hehe.

Tried virtual assistance..with a faster speed rate of delivering 10k words in a day. Employer asked how I did it. I no tell am. That's my secret...pay me.

Opened a website for a man running a candy shop in 20minutes, designed and functional. Dude was all surprised. First guy charged him $4000 for 3 weeks. I charged $2k for few minutes. You can guess the rest. No bi say I sabi pass the first person, no. But I only learn things with AI these days...it just makes works easier.

For instance, there's a tool to do everything you do in an office for a week in minutes. What's really the need visiting? You snap the paper, it converts to Word. It computes..provides options for charts and many more. When why do humans suffer?

So I used to draw when I was lil. Like I draw well. But later, I found one took where you put the picture and it paints it like hand drawn. What I do, I freelanced with it. You can hardly tell... My secret? Simple tool! Faster delivery!

Everybody has a skill. Try doing the lil graphic design you know...it's money.

Even if na only pidgin you sabi translate to, visit sites and offer to translate their webpages to Nigerian pidgin. They may not pay you at first...yeah, work as an intern. They will add you to translation team. Na CV bi that for next paying jobs.

Everyone has a skill.

I know of a dude online who says he has no skill..but he sends potatoes as love notes to emotionally depressed folks. Dude is a freaking millionaire.

I believe every skill is technical. You just need to know to apply it to meet the audience.

So many ways to make money..but it requires consistency.

Did I forget? I think the analogue age hasn't really passed so far we remain a developing country.

So cashing out it easy until tomorrow.
Baba you suppose to dey run some tutorials for younger guys o. Even if it is paid tutorials. My thoughts though

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by chatinent: 9:34am On Jul 26, 2022
Myzubby:
Baba you suppose to dey run some tutorials for younger guys o. Even if it is paid tutorials. My thoughts though

Anything wey I wan talk na from $150. As I no kuma wan stress myself doing awuff.
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by pocohantas(f): 9:55am On Jul 26, 2022
Thanks for all your responses so far. It would guide many Nairalanders.

There is something that I would love to address - this talk of manual roles phasing out. Years ago when banks rolled out ATMs, people said cashiers would phase out, but this is 2022 and we have more cashiers than other roles. Manual roles would never phase out. Not in our time at least.

No matter how technology inclined you are, you would most likely REFUSE to sit in a self-driving car. WHY?

I can’t think of one job from the past that isn’t still available. Highest is that they upgraded their processes. Carpenters are now furniture makers and tailors are now fashion designers. So the most important thing is to upskill and familiarise yourself with modern tools and softwares in your niche. This would at least ensure you are not the one doing the dirty work - because the dirty work must be there.

Generally “whites” shy away from the hardwork and Nigerians are not even tapping into this as much as Indians are. If you go to foreign schools, you would see way more Indians who have been sponsored by any and everyone including their government to go learn tech.

I have seen tax consultants and accountants making good pay. It is easier to see a Nigerian in healthcare and tech abroad, than to see one in EY, pwc and the likes. Yet these people are not disturbing us all over social media. They are even short-staffed currently because everyone wants to be in tech and healthcare.

Small and medium businesses would remain and they need remote staff too. Not splurging thousands of $ on technology that they do not understand. Lol

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by GloriousGbola: 10:01am On Jul 26, 2022
jesmond3945:
oyibo company would always prioritize their people over you. They will only offer you positions were there are shortages. So tech and health are areas were there are shortages.

Oyibos who championed outsourcing which is profits over people?

Why do you think most of western manufacturing is now in China? Why are help desk functions in India?

7 Likes

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by pocohantas(f): 10:01am On Jul 26, 2022
jesmond3945:

We are talking of remote roles, Sir. Are they going to employ you as a remote doctor? Because the highest I have seen for people in healthcare is management of shifts and medical writing.

That said, I have seen Nigerians prioritize Nigerians. I worked with a Nigerian on Upwork who employs 97% Nigerians. I am sure you would applaud him for that. cheesy

20 Likes

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by pocohantas(f): 10:07am On Jul 26, 2022
GloriousGbola:

Why do you think most of western manufacturing is now in China? Why are help desk functions in India?

Well said. Another thing that comes into play is tenacity. Nigerians are very tenacious on the average. My predecessor was a Brit, yet he ran away. My boss decided to try an “African”, because we don’t break easily.

Which oyibo person would do the kid of work Chinese and Vietnamese people are doing to make production happen?

For Nigeria here, ordinary backyard farm wey we Southerners get, we go dey sweat. But Northerners are farming hectares like it is nothing.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by pocohantas(f): 10:47am On Jul 26, 2022
DrLevi:

but the fact is all these have always been there. In fact only tech roles just recently opened up since covid and suddenly everyone seems to act like there haven't been people offering services outside programming for years as freelancers right from their homes to foreigners since forever

tech is the trend now and everyone want to be a developers. I blame twitter tech bros, na them cause this thing.

The fact is, even the tech roles are not even there. Forget the hype on twitter, you'll understand when you get enough experience to apply for a job. Its hard to get, very hard.

They talk way too much. Chochocho every time. The next thing they have pushed one youngling to go put head for wetin pass am.

Once upon a time, doctors and lawyers were everything. Then bankers and accountants had their own run too. Shebi they done calm down? Tech bros would calm down too. Na just time e need. lipsrsealed

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by izzou(m): 10:52am On Jul 26, 2022
folake4u:
Great thread.

I dey find Remote work wey them go pay my Japa visa and I go land for obodo oyibo. cheesy

Please point us to that type of work biko. I'm certain I speak the minds of many people viewing this thread abi? wink

Ride on, prophetess of the Most High.

You speak my mind

5 Likes

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by folake4u(f): 10:58am On Jul 26, 2022
izzou:

Ride on, prophetess of the Most High.

You speak my mind

I know right. cheesy

Come patronize my ministry oh. grin

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by folake4u(f): 11:02am On Jul 26, 2022
pocohantas:

They talk way too much. Chochocho every time. The next thing they have pushed one youngling to go put head for wetin pass am.

Once upon a time, doctors and lawyers were everything. Then bankers and accountants had their own run too. Shebi they done calm down? Tech bros would calm down too. Na just time e need. lipsrsealed

Even some Lawyers, Accountants and Doctors are transitioning into Tech because it is what is trending now.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by izzou(m): 11:03am On Jul 26, 2022
folake4u:

I know right. cheesy

Come patronize my ministry oh. grin

Drop address naa..

I no dey attend Online church
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by folake4u(f): 11:07am On Jul 26, 2022
izzou:

Drop address naa..

I no dey attend Online church

Na Abuja e dey oh @ No. 5 Chivita Street, Good Life Way, Abuja.
You fit come? cheesy
Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by pocohantas(f): 11:08am On Jul 26, 2022
folake4u:

Even some Lawyers, Accountants and Doctors are transitioning into Tech because it is what is trending now.

Make I bend if I transition.

I no go even make am. So no need. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by folake4u(f): 11:10am On Jul 26, 2022
pocohantas:

Make I bend if I transition.

I no go even make am. So no need. cheesy

You and your phobia for computers though. grin

But yeah, the main Tech (programming et al) isn't easy. I tried learning how to code, I knew it wasn't for me. I kuku get Thin patience.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by Nobody: 11:14am On Jul 26, 2022
folake4u:
Great thread.

Relocation is very hard. Even developers hardly get it.

With all I have gathered, just remove your mind from here

3 Likes

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by pocohantas(f): 11:14am On Jul 26, 2022
folake4u:

You and your phobia for computers though. grin

But yeah, the main Tech (programming et al) isn't easy. I tried learning how to code, I knew it wasn't for me. I kuku get Thin patience.

Ah! Nairaland doesn’t capture how much I fear computer o. Me wey my friends dey use do illustration? They’ll be like “I have a friend, this girl doesn’t even know how to change her laptop’s wallpaper, but she is working remotely and making $xyz”.

I say toor! So na me una dey use motivate olodos? As senior olodo na. grin

25 Likes

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by Nobody: 11:20am On Jul 26, 2022
pocohantas:

The damage would be done by then. An entire generation of tech bros and every other profession would suffer for it.

Unlike medicine and law, petroleum etc.. There were gates to the amount of people that those courses accepted. Tech is a free for all

Its sad seeing people with near zero interest in anything tech spend months and years of their lives in it just to because its the next big thing

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by folake4u(f): 11:29am On Jul 26, 2022
pocohantas:

Ah! Nairaland doesn’t capture how much I fear computer o. Me wey my friends dey use do illustration? They’ll be like “I have a friend, this girl doesn’t even know how to change her laptop’s wallpaper, but she is working remotely and making $xyz”.

I say toor! So na me una dey use motivate olodos? As senior olodo na. grin

Chai. It will be fun watching you struggle with computers. I would laugh ehn. grin grin

At least you dey make money from am despite your computer-challenge. tongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by izzou(m): 11:29am On Jul 26, 2022
folake4u:

Na Abuja e dey oh @ No. 5 Chivita Street, Good Life Way, Abuja.
You fit come? cheesy

Customers no dey Abuja naa..

Come Lagos, make we find one small shop for mainland.

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by jesmond3945: 11:34am On Jul 26, 2022
DrLevi:

The damage would be done by then. An entire generation of tech bros and every other profession would suffer for it.

Unlike medicine and law, petroleum etc.. There were gates to the amount of people that those courses accepted. Tech is a free for all

Its sad seeing people with near zero interest in anything tech spend months and years of their lives in it just to because its the next big thing
which damage? Tech enhances and promotes other fields. Without tech most of these fields would be stagnant. No innovation.

9 Likes

Re: Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? by jesmond3945: 11:37am On Jul 26, 2022
GloriousGbola:

India and China have made their mark as the tech hub of the world. Go and look at IEEE conferences and jobs dominated by them. Nigerians we are not known at all. They only know as oil and gas hub. So if you want to break in ICT is the sure way.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Do I Handle My Female Colleague? / The Cripple Cobbler Gets A New Wheel-chair (photos) / A Female Nigeria Painter Showcase Her Skills Prove That She Is Not Lazy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.