Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,903 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:02 PM

34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered (20438 Views)

FG Uncovers 60,000 Ghost Workers, Says Osinbajo / After Eliminating 40,000 Ghost Workers We Saved N8billion Monthly – presidency / 43,000 ‘ghost Workers’ Uncovered In Nigerian Security Agencies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by Islie: 9:10am On Mar 21, 2016
•500 fake bank accounts opened in one day

•EFCC summons bank MDs, top civil servants

• I’m not aware – Spokesman

By Adetutu Folasade- Koyi

INDICATIONS emerged at the weekend that in the course of investigating how 34,000 ghost workers got on the federal payroll, a three-ring syndicate has been uncovered.
Last month, Finance Minister, Mrs Kemi Adeosun blew open 23,000 ghost workers on the payroll.

She said in the aftermath of deploying the Bank Verification Number (BVN), 23,000 ghost workers were discovered, saving the Federal Government lost N2.29 billion per month.

Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, disclosed this to State House correspondents on Wednesday at the end of a meeting of the Federal Executive Council presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari. Less than three weeks after that, another 11,000 ghost workers were also discovered on government’s payroll.

The 23,000 ghost workers, Daily Sun gathered at the weekend, were run by a three-ring syndicate of top civil servants in federal ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs), bankers and some “big people outside the federal civil service.”

It was also learnt yesterday that some of the civil servants implicated in perpetrating the fraud of the initial 23,000 ghost workers here been picked up by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Some of them, it was learnt, reported at the anti-graft agency’s office in Abuja, last week, to explain their roles in the scam.

A source at the anti-corruption agency said yesterday that, “the EFCC has started picking some of them. In the course of writing their statements we discovered that it was a three-ring syndicate running the scam.

“From documents available, we saw how 500 salary accounts were opened in the names of civil servants. In most cases, some of the accounts bear just one name while the common thread which bound them was that they were opened in just one day at the branch of a generation bank.”
With that discovery, the second stage of the investigation will start today, it was gathered.

Another source disclosed that the second leg of the investigation, starting today, will be to invite top managers of banks where some of the fictitious accounts were opened as well as those outside the civil service whose names were mentioned in the course of the initial investigation.

When contacted, EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren said he was not aware of the investigation and also added that even if the investigation had started, it was not possible to put sensitive information in the public domain until it was necessary to do so.

Media Adviser to the Finance minister, Festus Akanbi did not pick calls to his line. But, a source in the ministry said “some of the banks where the salary accounts were opened are cooperating with us and the EFCC. Some of our ogas were invited for questioning and we learnt that some of them will be reporting at the EFCC this week.”

On March 9, Adeosun told State House Correspondents, after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting that her ministry was using what she called computer techniques to investigate the fresh 11,000 affected cases.

She said as soon as investigations are concluded, “Nigerians would be informed of the amount saved and the number of names removed again from the payroll.
“Again, we are using computer techniques to identify those who we need to investigate…”

http://sunnewsonline.com/34000-ghost-workers-syndicate-uncovered/

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by madridguy(m): 9:15am On Mar 21, 2016
Capital punishment seem to be the only way to stop this nonsense. I hope Nigeria will adopt some Chinese law especially when its comes to government fraud.

35 Likes

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by tsephanyah(f): 9:30am On Mar 21, 2016
Awesome.......corruption is the bedrock of Nigeria, the government should patronize it asap

5 Likes

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by demarc001: 9:45am On Mar 21, 2016
As usuall, Jonathan sef!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by favouredseed(f): 9:48am On Mar 21, 2016
NOI (Ngozi Okonjo Iweala) ,thanks for introducing BVN,IPPIS and TSA. Nigeria will never forget the guru you are.
@ Kemi Adeosun, well done for the continuity, say no to Change ,but continue the policies dear.

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by DaBullIT(m): 11:04am On Mar 21, 2016
They thrive on corruption

Last two weeks , i read somewhere that an 8 year or was it 8 month old kid was collecting salary as a civil servant inside this obodo nigeria

Which way are we going ?

Lalasticlala

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by MisterGrace: 11:29am On Mar 21, 2016
When contacted, EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren said he was not aware of the investigation and also added that even if the investigation had started, it was not possible to put sensitive information in the public domain until it was necessary to do so.

I don't know why some people can't keep somethings classified until all the necessary conclusions are made.

4 Likes

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by 4nobody4every1: 1:33pm On Mar 21, 2016
Too many ghost workers in Nigeria, why are they waking up from their graves to collect salary?.....are ghost not suppose to rest in peace with the dead, Oya Obasanjo what do you have to say sad

6 Likes

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by masterplan303(m): 1:34pm On Mar 21, 2016
Nawa ooo...young graduates are looking for job everywhere and these ones are busy employing their dead and unborn children and receiving their salaries big time.
Naija which way nah?

1 Like

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by flokii: 1:35pm On Mar 21, 2016
Bubu will sanitize this country..

Nigeria will be great again

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by macaranta(m): 1:36pm On Mar 21, 2016
Corruption battle will be longer than WWIII

2 Likes

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by Kingspin(m): 1:36pm On Mar 21, 2016
Na today, it has been like that since 1960. Ghost workers even ghost government, power, policies, budget, agric, road, ghost president, politicians, ghost promises, ministers. Infact, ghost everywhere you go. Who will genuinely catch this ghost of failure for this country?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by truthspeaks: 1:37pm On Mar 21, 2016
Nawa ooo. Dis country shaa.

1 Like

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by shamecurls(m): 1:38pm On Mar 21, 2016
What Ngozi Okonjo Iweala could not see for 6 years, Kemi Adeosun can see it in less than a year

Change is a gradual process

36 Likes

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by dammytosh: 1:38pm On Mar 21, 2016
madridguy:
Capital punishment seem to be the only way to stop this nonsense. I hope Nigeria will adopt some Chinese law especially when its comes to government fraud.

I support you.

The only time i will admit Buhari failed is if Corruption persist even after this tenure and no sanity is restored.

Corruption is the major problem we have in this country.

People will steal money and go and die to become Governor so they can be covered with immunity.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by dellye: 1:39pm On Mar 21, 2016
hmmmmmm
Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by HAH: 1:39pm On Mar 21, 2016
This is mind boggling, TSA, BVN and IPPIS doing the magic, technology is the way out

Weldone GEJ for the idea, Weldone PMB for implementing them

12 Likes

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by biggz82: 1:39pm On Mar 21, 2016
34000 na wa, see how ppl wicked, dem jux chop money wen go better other life by dem self

1 Like

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by tooman: 1:39pm On Mar 21, 2016
do the needful Nd replace them nah no much noise
Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by Nobody: 1:39pm On Mar 21, 2016
I blame Buhari lipsrsealed
Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by shamecurls(m): 1:40pm On Mar 21, 2016
[size=3pt][s]
favouredseed:
NOI (Ngozi Okonjo Iweala) ,thanks for introducing BVN,IPPIS and TSA. Nigeria will never forget the guru you are.
@ Kemi Adeosun, well done for the continuity, say no to Change ,but continue the policies dear.
[/s]
[/size]

11 Likes

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by greatiyk4u(m): 1:41pm On Mar 21, 2016
Wind of change is blowing fast across all sectors
Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by Siberia101: 1:42pm On Mar 21, 2016
favouredseed:

Exactly I love the way the Finance Minister is following the trend of past administration...

Jonathan/NOI brought all these lovely ideas it was the will to strike Jonathan delayed/Lacked sincerely... I pray it all goes on well

6 Likes

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by ThatNova(m): 1:43pm On Mar 21, 2016
thats alot oo

i wonder if some people get conscience at all. i can only imagine some other unknown embezzlements that these greedy people at the top have carried out.
Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by networkrecharg: 1:43pm On Mar 21, 2016
[size=15pt]ONE CORRUPT MAN DETECTED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool shocked shocked shocked shocked[/size]

favouredseed:

3 Likes

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by networkrecharg: 1:45pm On Mar 21, 2016
GEJ N HIS WIVES BROUGHT NO IDEA....

DO U KNOW HOW MANY IDEAS THAT GO THROUGH MEN DAILY

Siberia101:

Exactly I love the way the Finance Minister is following the trend of past administration...

Jonathan/NOI brought all these lovely ideas it was the will to strike Jonathan delayed/Lacked sincerely... I pray it all goes on well

4 Likes

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by 9jatatafo(m): 1:45pm On Mar 21, 2016
What baffles me most in this country is how well placed individuals carry out wicked fraud as if that is the only thing they know how to do. Imagine people who are gainfully employed scamming this country.
Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by Samscofield: 1:47pm On Mar 21, 2016
And out here, we have so many genuine jobless graduates gallavanting the streets, while ghosts have already taken all the available jobs. God save this Nation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by adedam007(m): 1:48pm On Mar 21, 2016
Re: 34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered by Rexnegro(m): 1:49pm On Mar 21, 2016
madridguy:
I over agree with You bro... not until there's a capital punishment, some Nigerians won't be scared of doing such fraud against the state. For me the following shld attract capital punishment ;
pension fraud
looting of our commonwealth (at all tiers of govt)
murder
kidnapping
police bribe (both the giver And The taker)
Abduction
and every other massive anti-social vices.
some Nigerians are too extremely wicked without conscience in doing fraud/scam...when I tink of 2.1B dollar arm money alone how one person Sidon dey share am The tin dey pain me ehn.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Amaechi Was Governor When 32 People Were Killed In Omoku - Wike Replies APC / Herdsmen Crisis: Why Labelling Attackers Fulani Is Wrong - Atiku / Court Remands Abdulrasheed Maina In Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.