Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,168 members, 7,811,397 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears (53825 Views)

Car Badge Acronyms You Probably Never Knew The Meaning Of / 2018 Lexus RX L Released With Third Row Seat (photos) / Knowing The Meaning Of The Colour Of Your Dashboard Warning Light Is A Lifesaver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by AceLove: 10:34am On Mar 22, 2016
I have always wondered what the signs 'P','R','N','D','2','L' on automatic gear transmission systems represent and decided to google it. And so I share this info hoping it may be of help to someone somewhere.

So here we go:

• P (PARK) - the gear selector should be in this position when the car is parked as it typically locks the transmission so that the car cannot move. In conjunction with this, the parking brake (hand brake) may also be applied. On most cars, the engine cannot be started unless the lever is in this (or 'N') position.

• R (REVERSE) - selecting this position allows the vehicle to be driven in the reverse (backwards) direction.

• N (NEUTRAL) - in this position, the engine is disconnected from the drive train (gears) and the vehicle will not be propelled in either direction when the gas (accelerator) pedal is pressed. The wheels are not locked and the vehicle will be able to roll downhill if the brake pedal is not pressed.

• D (DRIVE) - this is the position that is typically used when the vehicle is being driven. As the vehicle increases (or decreases) in speed, the automatic gear box will select the correct gear for both speed and road conditions.

• 2 (GEAR 2) - typically, automatic gear boxes have 3 of 4 forward gears, so some vehicles may have both 2 and 3 marked on the hear selector. By using this position, the driver 'locks' the transmission in a lower gear so that the engine will run with increased revolutions. This is useful when rapid acceleration is desired. It should be noted that maintaining high revolutions in lower gears will increase the fuel consumption of the vehicle and also the stresses on the vehicle and passengers. It should therefore be used for short periods only.

• L (LOW) - (may be indicated by '1') this is the lowest gear (or 1st gear) available. This position is useful when the vehicle needs to negotiate difficult terrain (such as a steep incline with a poor surface). For downward slopes, the LOW gear provides additional braking through the engine.

• OD (OVERDRIVE) - for vehicles fitted with this option, an extra gear is provided that has a lower ratio than the normal top gear. The power output delivered by this gear is low in comparison to the normal gears and is used for high speed cruising (on interstates / motorways etc). Engine revolutions are reduced, as are noise levels. Fuel consumption is improved

84 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by LordIsaac(m): 10:53am On Mar 22, 2016
Good

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by Cutehector(m): 11:03am On Mar 22, 2016
Some people still will be fearing to drive car cheesy

Mind my english cheesy

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by afolayangs(m): 1:02pm On Mar 22, 2016
good one

1 Like

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by DrSage(m): 1:29pm On Mar 22, 2016
Informative!
Front page material smiley

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by timidapsin(m): 1:29pm On Mar 22, 2016
[size=14pt]Even my younger bro know's this... Every good driver/ Gamer should know this[/size] undecided

16 Likes

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by BIGTinfotech: 1:29pm On Mar 22, 2016
Nice!

It would amaze you that some 'drivers' don't know this.

3 Likes

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by NaijaFutbol: 1:30pm On Mar 22, 2016
Learner gear
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by Temmytea70(m): 1:30pm On Mar 22, 2016
Nice
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by tooman: 1:30pm On Mar 22, 2016
copied and pasted

nice one OP

1 Like

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by gerrardomendes(m): 1:30pm On Mar 22, 2016
B
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by rawtouch: 1:31pm On Mar 22, 2016
Ok
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by Ada9103(f): 1:33pm On Mar 22, 2016
Really?
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by Etizz: 1:33pm On Mar 22, 2016
D=drive
R=revise
P=park
N=neutral
2=it simply means the gear will not be more than gear 2, that means it will not enter gear 3 or 4

Na where I know reach be dat oh.... Beside I never drive car with OD oh...... Wish kind motor dey get dat type?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by Nobody: 1:33pm On Mar 22, 2016
Please explain how manual gear works too.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by pyyxxaro: 1:33pm On Mar 22, 2016
Wetin be this

Na Bulldozer and excavator I de drive go church

1 Like

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by Bibors(m): 1:34pm On Mar 22, 2016
While I agree this information is very educative, I have always wondered how mods choose topics that should make front page.
I am a learner on nairaland but I have seen comments from users who wonder why snakes and stuff like that make FP while matters of importance miss front page.
Pls Seun and moderators I am not against you but I will love to be educated on how threads make FP so that myself and the likes of me Dont ask such questions anymore.

10 Likes

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by Ekeeyhandsome(m): 1:35pm On Mar 22, 2016
Inform me wenever u'v gear lessons on "jets"..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by muller101(m): 1:35pm On Mar 22, 2016
NaijaFutbol:
Learner gear
says who
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by calabaman(m): 1:36pm On Mar 22, 2016
Truth is OP this should be basic knowledge for any fair driver.

What i would like to know is what does D3 stand for in some auto transmissions?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by ShakurM(m): 1:36pm On Mar 22, 2016
GTA grin
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by jericco1(m): 1:36pm On Mar 22, 2016
nice piece
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by ryanfletcher: 1:36pm On Mar 22, 2016
lol,not to sound cruel but op is wasting his time,even people wey never get ride done know all these things
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by Nobody: 1:36pm On Mar 22, 2016
AceLove:
I have always wondered what the signs 'P','R','N','D','2','L' on automatic gear transmission systems represent and decided to google it. And so I share this info hoping it may be of help to someone somewhere.

So here we go:

• P (PARK) - the gear selector should be in this position when the car is parked as it typically locks the transmission so that the car cannot move. In conjunction with this, the parking brake (hand brake) may also be applied. On most cars, the engine cannot be started unless the lever is in this (or 'N') position.

• R (REVERSE) - selecting this position allows the vehicle to be driven in the reverse (backwards) direction.

• N (NEUTRAL) - in this position, the engine is disconnected from the drive train (gears) and the vehicle will not be propelled in either direction when the gas (accelerator) pedal is pressed. The wheels are not locked and the vehicle will be able to roll downhill if the brake pedal is not pressed.

• D (DRIVE) - this is the position that is typically used when the vehicle is being driven. As the vehicle increases (or decreases) in speed, the automatic gear box will select the correct gear for both speed and road conditions.

• 2 (GEAR 2) - typically, automatic gear boxes have 3 of 4 forward gears, so some vehicles may have both 2 and 3 marked on the hear selector. By using this position, the driver 'locks' the transmission in a lower gear so that the engine will run with increased revolutions. This is useful when rapid acceleration is desired. It should be noted that maintaining high revolutions in lower gears will increase the fuel consumption of the vehicle and also the stresses on the vehicle and passengers. It should therefore be used for short periods only.

• L (LOW) - (may be indicated by '1') this is the lowest gear (or 1st gear) available. This position is useful when the vehicle needs to negotiate difficult terrain (such as a steep incline with a poor surface). For downward slopes, the LOW gear provides additional braking through the engine.

• OD (OVERDRIVE) - for vehicles fitted with this option, an extra gear is provided that has a lower ratio than the normal top gear. The power output delivered by this gear is low in comparison to the normal gears and is used for high speed cruising (on interstates / motorways etc). Engine revolutions are reduced, as are noise levels. Fuel consumption is improved
pls Mr researcher, help with dis, OANDO & BUA

1 Like

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by swagdopey: 1:38pm On Mar 22, 2016
K
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by cremedelacreme: 1:38pm On Mar 22, 2016
Na only P,R and D i de use ooo. I use N ocassionally when the car needs a little push. All these L,2 and O/D no be for me oooo grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by FTBOY: 1:39pm On Mar 22, 2016
my own is just to set it on D and move until i find somewhere to park (P) and then pull up the handbrakes... undecided

14 Likes

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by Nobody: 1:40pm On Mar 22, 2016
which position can one shift a handbrake to?
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by FTBOY: 1:41pm On Mar 22, 2016
Etizz:
D=drive
R=revise
P=park
N=neutral
2=it simply means the gear will not be more than gear 2, that means it will not enter gear 3 or 4

Na where I know reach be dat oh.... Beside I never drive car with OD oh...... Wish kind motor dey get dat type?
v6 cars for higher speed....(it's usually marked on O/D on your dashboard) but na your fuel go suffer am
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by Adedoks(m): 1:41pm On Mar 22, 2016
Thanks op. I just got a car n Av never used the L or 2.. Am always on D when driving. Thanks for the insight will put this into practice.

3 Likes

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by Xxpress(m): 1:41pm On Mar 22, 2016
Nice one OP. Even with my many years of experience find dis educative.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lady Shows Off The N35m Gwagon Her Parents Bought For Her (Photos) / The 7 Most Expensive Cars In The World (Photos) / Reason Why Is Important To Vacuum A System Before Refilling Of Gas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.