Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,559 members, 7,812,814 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:45 PM

Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears (53846 Views)

Car Badge Acronyms You Probably Never Knew The Meaning Of / 2018 Lexus RX L Released With Third Row Seat (photos) / Knowing The Meaning Of The Colour Of Your Dashboard Warning Light Is A Lifesaver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by IAmTobore(m): 7:31pm On Mar 22, 2016
Cutehector:
u think u can drive? undecided

Wait until u r being given a very hot chase!
Nice one! I am proud to be an adrenaline dude!
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by IAmTobore(m): 7:46pm On Mar 22, 2016
nickxtra:
In other words, do mean cars run faster in D2 than in the ordinary D? And at what point should it be relevant to On Overdrive or Off Overdrive?
When to use OD, is when you want to act like those actors in fast & furious.
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by IAmTobore(m): 7:49pm On Mar 22, 2016
barcaboi:
OD always confuses me....I'm gonna start using it since it helps Fuel consumption ......informative; there are lots of others like Cruise
Don't use OD if you have fear of speed.
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by IAmTobore(m): 7:52pm On Mar 22, 2016
moscobabs:

thanks for this bro. my dashboard showed O/D last week I was confused cos I didn't know the meaning .But bro why did the OD light blink automatically ?
and pls what's the important of 'Cruise'?
Cruise makes you move at an average speed. No matter how you accelerate, it wont go beyond that.
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by Mazdaenginepart: 7:58pm On Mar 22, 2016
Are you looking for a grade car engine to buy for your car or to buy and sell wholsale. I sell car engine and can also help you find the ones i do not have so please kind email me ositaunachuker@gmail.com
or call or whatsapp 08139084701
NO PAYMENT ONLINE YOU WILL SEE BEFRE YOU PAY THANKS
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by piagetskinner(m): 8:18pm On Mar 22, 2016
Gloriouspa:

They are sound system volume controls.

No not that one... I sabi that one na.... This one looks like a lever. One on the right and another one on the left
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by GreatManBee: 9:08pm On Mar 22, 2016
AceLove:
I have always wondered what the signs 'P','R','N','D','2','L' on automatic gear transmission systems represent and decided to google it. And so I share this info hoping it may be of help to someone somewhere.

So here we go:

• P (PARK) - the gear selector should be in this position when the car is parked as it typically locks the transmission so that the car cannot move. In conjunction with this, the parking brake (hand brake) may also be applied. On most cars, the engine cannot be started unless the lever is in this (or 'N') position.

• R (REVERSE) - selecting this position allows the vehicle to be driven in the reverse (backwards) direction.

• N (NEUTRAL) - in this position, the engine is disconnected from the drive train (gears) and the vehicle will not be propelled in either direction when the gas (accelerator) pedal is pressed. The wheels are not locked and the vehicle will be able to roll downhill if the brake pedal is not pressed.

• D (DRIVE) - this is the position that is typically used when the vehicle is being driven. As the vehicle increases (or decreases) in speed, the automatic gear box will select the correct gear for both speed and road conditions.

• 2 (GEAR 2) - typically, automatic gear boxes have 3 of 4 forward gears, so some vehicles may have both 2 and 3 marked on the hear selector. By using this position, the driver 'locks' the transmission in a lower gear so that the engine will run with increased revolutions. This is useful when rapid acceleration is desired. It should be noted that maintaining high revolutions in lower gears will increase the fuel consumption of the vehicle and also the stresses on the vehicle and passengers. It should therefore be used for short periods only.

• L (LOW) - (may be indicated by '1') this is the lowest gear (or 1st gear) available. This position is useful when the vehicle needs to negotiate difficult terrain (such as a steep incline with a poor surface). For downward slopes, the LOW gear provides additional braking through the engine.

• OD (OVERDRIVE) - for vehicles fitted with this option, an extra gear is provided that has a lower ratio than the normal top gear. The power output delivered by this gear is low in comparison to the normal gears and is used for high speed cruising (on interstates / motorways etc). Engine revolutions are reduced, as are noise levels. Fuel consumption is improved
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by Nobody: 11:03pm On Mar 22, 2016
AceLove:
I have always wondered what the signs 'P','R','N','D','2','L' on automatic gear transmission systems represent and decided to google it. And so I share this info hoping it may be of help to someone somewhere.

So here we go:

• P (PARK) - the gear selector should be in this position when the car is parked as it typically locks the transmission so that the car cannot move. In conjunction with this, the parking brake (hand brake) may also be applied. On most cars, the engine cannot be started unless the lever is in this (or 'N') position.

• R (REVERSE) - selecting this position allows the vehicle to be driven in the reverse (backwards) direction.

• N (NEUTRAL) - in this position, the engine is disconnected from the drive train (gears) and the vehicle will not be propelled in either direction when the gas (accelerator) pedal is pressed. The wheels are not locked and the vehicle will be able to roll downhill if the brake pedal is not pressed.

• D (DRIVE) - this is the position that is typically used when the vehicle is being driven. As the vehicle increases (or decreases) in speed, the automatic gear box will select the correct gear for both speed and road conditions.

• 2 (GEAR 2) - typically, automatic gear boxes have 3 of 4 forward gears, so some vehicles may have both 2 and 3 marked on the hear selector. By using this position, the driver 'locks' the transmission in a lower gear so that the engine will run with increased revolutions. This is useful when rapid acceleration is desired. It should be noted that maintaining high revolutions in lower gears will increase the fuel consumption of the vehicle and also the stresses on the vehicle and passengers. It should therefore be used for short periods only.

• L (LOW) - (may be indicated by '1') this is the lowest gear (or 1st gear) available. This position is useful when the vehicle needs to negotiate difficult terrain (such as a steep incline with a poor surface). For downward slopes, the LOW gear provides additional braking through the engine.

• OD (OVERDRIVE) - for vehicles fitted with this option, an extra gear is provided that has a lower ratio than the normal top gear. The power output delivered by this gear is low in comparison to the normal gears and is used for high speed cruising (on interstates / motorways etc). Engine revolutions are reduced, as are noise levels. Fuel consumption is improved
Good job I drive auto too and I always notice a small tiny button under the gear handle apart from the main gear button; I mean just under the head on the gear rod of auto cars. Its in mainly nissan cars. What is it used for? See below -the arrow in d pic

Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by ChristineC: 11:09pm On Mar 22, 2016
RadicallyBlunt:

Good job I drive auto too and I always notice a small tiny button under the gear handle apart from the main gear button; I mean just under the head on the gear rod of auto cars. Its in mainly nissan cars. What is it used for? See below -the arrow in d pic
"OD"
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by Nobody: 11:12pm On Mar 22, 2016
ChristineC:

"OD"
Used for what?
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by AceLove: 10:05am On Mar 24, 2016
yea
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by 9jatatafo(m): 1:36pm On Mar 24, 2016
AceLove:

So here we go:

Thanks OP. I want to know if you can shift the gear stick from D to 2 or 3 on motion?
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by Nobody: 5:25pm On Mar 24, 2016
CFCman:

Lol. I used to loathe driving SUVs until recently. But I now enjoy driving mini vans and SUVs more than sedans; though I've never driven on cruise control

wait first, make I ask you question. Are you same with Cfc-fan?
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by Nobody: 5:35pm On Mar 24, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

wait first, make I ask you question. Are you same with Cfc-fan?
Yes
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by Nobody: 5:37pm On Mar 24, 2016
CFCman:

Yes
oh, how I missed you.
Even sent you a mail following your disappearance, did you receive it? Hope you're good?
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by Nobody: 5:50pm On Mar 24, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

oh, how I missed you.
Even sent you a mail following your disappearance, did you receive it? Hope you're good?
I'm good dear. Work and school have been hectic
Re: Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears by holluphemydavid(m): 12:07pm On Nov 18, 2019
@holluphemydavid

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The 7 Most Expensive Cars In The World (Photos) / Reason Why Is Important To Vacuum A System Before Refilling Of Gas / Have You Ever Seen A Range Rover Pickup Before? Dope Or Not?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.