Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,479 members, 7,816,131 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans (8334 Views)

Maritime Workers Union Of Nigeria Threatens Shutdown Of Seaports / FG Set To Sack 3,500 Staff / My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by freeze001(f): 8:07am On Mar 23, 2016

By DANIEL ETEGHE

The Aviation union under the auspices of the National Union of Air Transport Employees (NUATE), on Monday, kicked against plans by foreign airlines to sack about two thousand (2,000) workers in the aviation industry in a bid to cut cost.

In a letter addressed to the Minister of State for Aviation, Senator Hadi Sirika and made available to newsmen, Acting General Secretary of NUATE, Comrade Olayinka Abioye stressed that the plan was posing a great threat to the affected workers, adding that the Federal Government should wade in and prevent the huge job loss.

Comrade Abioye said that information had filtered into the aviation industry of the massive reduction in the numbers of its employees to the tune of about 2,000 workers. “The reason being adduced for this danger is that their earnings in the past year is under lock with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), as they are unable to transfer these earnings to their respective home countries to meet operational costs in accordance with international rules.”
“Following concerns raised recently by leaders of these workers and other stakeholders and in appreciation of the good intent of the government’s fiscal policy, we humbly make this clarion call for your intervention to grant foreign airlines concession to repatriate their proceeds to their home countries,” he said.

Comrade Abioye pointed out that should the foreign airlines go ahead with the sacking of the workers in the aviation industry, it would not be in the interest of the aviation sector and Nigeria as a whole. “We hasten to place on the front burner an emerging threat confronting over 2, 000 private sector aviation workers in Nigeria which requires your intervention to forestall imminent loss of jobs of these number of workers,” said Abioye.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/union-kicks-plans-foreign-airlines-sack-2000-workers/
Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by luvinhubby(m): 8:10am On Mar 23, 2016
So the airlines should retain their workers amidst dwindling revenue caused by Buhari's clueless economic policies?

I sympathise with the affected workers but the airlines are not to be blamed.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by EldaTimba(m): 8:10am On Mar 23, 2016
If only our eyes can see that only God can save, revive our economy. I hope pastor Osinbajo is performing his duty as the priest of the Nation.
In all, may God meet those who've been sacked, those who would be sacked, and the unemployed at every point of their needs in this period surplus.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by otokx(m): 8:13am On Mar 23, 2016
CBN should release the money for onward movement out of Nigeria. It is a pity our local airlines refuse to exploit this international market then the dollars will have remained in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by Nobody: 8:27am On Mar 23, 2016
It's not really the fault of the foreign airlines.

You may want to blame Buhari/CBN economic policy for this but this is a very very big opportunity for Nigerian airlines.
Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by Adesiji77: 12:26pm On Mar 23, 2016
FX palaver...

@Activa: A big opportunity for them if they are ready to "up" their game.

Cc: lalasticlala, dominique, Mynd44
Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by Nobody: 2:24pm On Mar 23, 2016
Private business.
Its a normal and expected thing to do.
Only in Nigeria that people still think unionism works in private venture.
Ask any of the workers if those companies happened to be theirs if they will prefer bloated work force at their expense

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by DankemzI(m): 2:24pm On Mar 23, 2016
Recession

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by callmeSwit(m): 2:25pm On Mar 23, 2016
mtchewwwwww
Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by Kingspin(m): 2:26pm On Mar 23, 2016
Our leaders has always refuse to do the right things. To build road, power, etc is politics all the way for our public holders rather than genuine concern/interest to develop the country and empower the citizens . Look at how this country is been move left and right. When are we getting the real development not politics?

1 Like

Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by Goke7: 2:26pm On Mar 23, 2016
Activa:
It's not really the fault of the foreign airlines.

You may want to blame Buhari/CBN economic policy for this but this is a very very big opportunity for Nigerian airlines.

Exactly, people readily blame but fail to see the opportunity
Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by ChappyChase: 2:28pm On Mar 23, 2016
I never begin enter aeroplane so no need for me to read and comment
Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by Abugab(m): 2:29pm On Mar 23, 2016
Our unions are always kicking against sack and never kicking against ineffectual govt and their poor management which has made Nigerians become slaves in the hands of foreign companies.

These union guys are always in the act of collecting monies from the foreign companies to perpetually enslave Nigerians.
Do they want the foreign airlines to keep paying for unwanted excesses because they have employed Nigerians?

Where were they when Nigeria Airways went down?
They should channel their energies to the right things joor.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by onatisi(m): 2:29pm On Mar 23, 2016
EldaTimba:
If only our eyes can see that only God can save, revive our economy. I hope pastor Osinbajo is performing his duty as the priest of the Nation.
In all, may God meet those who've been sacked, those who would be sacked, and the unemployed at every point of their needs in this period surplus.
Nigerians like shifting their responsibilities to God . Instead of us doing the right things at the right time ,we deliberately make mistakes then ask God to pull us out

10 Likes

Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by Beehshorp(m): 2:30pm On Mar 23, 2016
Buhari's change is a SCAM.... That's all I know

1 Like

Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by RedCapChief(m): 2:31pm On Mar 23, 2016
Buhari, allow the foreign airlines to take their money o!!!

1 Like

Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by saturnjay(m): 2:31pm On Mar 23, 2016
luvinhubby:
So the airlines should retain their workers amidst dwindling revenue caused by Buhari's clueless economic policies?

The dwindling revenue is caused by the oil price crash, it has nothing to do with Buhari policies, his policies was to tighten and prevent capital loss upon the dwindling revenue caused by oil crash, Russia and Saudi Arabia are feeling the heat more than us, Saudis lost over $300 Billion because of the oil crash, so save your insult for Buhari
Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by hrworld: 2:35pm On Mar 23, 2016
In Nigerian, Labour Union is a serious joke.
Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by MadCow1: 2:38pm On Mar 23, 2016
MTCHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW
Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by iyatrustee(f): 2:38pm On Mar 23, 2016
Unionism in this part of the world is done upside down.
Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by tonychristopher: 2:41pm On Mar 23, 2016
this is what we get to see when a bunch of illiterate and desperadoes are ruling.

I am back from sabbatical ...
freeze001:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/union-kicks-plans-foreign-airlines-sack-2000-workers/
Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by kpeteman(m): 2:42pm On Mar 23, 2016
useless government
Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by BE811APP: 2:43pm On Mar 23, 2016
Sacking is d order for d day
Bad exchange rate
Bad Leadership
Poor economy
No one wants to remain here excepts south africans

The thing just got serious...

But have we asked ourselves... Will things really get better
Since I was born.. we have been hoping for the better but things keep getting out of hand..

They wont give us d youth with visions to lead..

I was born when buhari was in power during military regime..
Now am married with Kids d same man is leading dis country...

Haba!!

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by onoja12: 2:44pm On Mar 23, 2016
Rubbish,any airline that sacks its Nigerian workers,we should ban that airline from flying into Nigeria simple.as for the policy of packing all our dollar out in the name of airline.that must stop.if you make the money here then you must spend that larger percentage here simple.

freeze001:

1 Like

Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by Kingspin(m): 2:52pm On Mar 23, 2016
saturnjay:

The dwindling revenue is caused by the oil price crash, it has nothing to do with Buhari policies, his policies was to tighten and prevent capital loss upon the dwindling revenue caused by oil crash, Russia and Saudi Arabia are feeling the heat more than us, Saudis lost over $300 Billion because of the oil crash, so save your insult for Buhari
We know is not Buhari fault but he can become another Mandela for Nigeria, Africa and the world, if he wish.
Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by Siberia101: 2:54pm On Mar 23, 2016
2000 workers?
Nigeria and Statistics self

1 Like

Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by freeze001(f): 2:59pm On Mar 23, 2016
onoja12:
Rubbish,any airline that sacks its Nigerian workers,we should ban that airline from flying into Nigeria simple.as for the policy of packing all our dollar out in the name of airline.that must stop.if you make the money here then you must spend that larger percentage here simple.

Shuo! Am I the airline that is sacking workers? See as u quote me dey vex...lol.

I understand though, the major problem is that we have never protected the rights of workers as regards employment by foreign agencies. That is why after all said and done, a few dollars or thousands of naira exchanged will settle the issue always to the detriment of the Nigerian workers.

These foreign investors always come with the bottom line of making profit by all means. Once you have a government like ours as has always been the case where regulatory policies are not firm and easily twisted in favour of the investor, you have things like this and they mostly get away with no sanctions at all. Our Labour laws leave a lot to be desired and unfortunately, enforcement of what we have on ground is practically nil.
Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by manie(m): 3:04pm On Mar 23, 2016
luvinhubby:

The workers MUST not be sacked, they should be asked to work for free.
Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by sankky: 3:14pm On Mar 23, 2016
Sack here, sack there , since this regime began! Why cant the airlines just sack BUHARI make we rest sef?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by Pidggin(f): 3:20pm On Mar 23, 2016
Buhari is our biggest problem in this country

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by onoja12: 3:29pm On Mar 23, 2016
The workers like suffering and smiling,if the union do not represent you,then kick them out or withdraw from the union after all you make them not them make you,if the minister doesn't represent you block the airport and protest,it is done by all airline workers round the world,then the President must come in .people can only do what you allow them do to you

freeze001:

Shuo! Am I the airline that is sacking workers? See as u quote me dey vex...lol.

I understand though, the major problem is that we have never protected the rights of workers as regards employment by foreign agencies. That is why after all said and done, a few dollars or thousands of naira exchanged will settle the issue always to the detriment of the Nigerian workers.

These foreign investors always come with the bottom line of making profit by all means. Once you have a government like ours as has always been the case where regulatory policies are not firm and easily twisted in favour of the investor, you have things like this and they mostly get away with no sanctions at all. Our Labour laws leave a lot to be desired unfortunately and enforcement of what we have on ground is practically nil.
Re: Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans by basingstoke: 3:29pm On Mar 23, 2016
Please how can a doctor get a job in saudi arabia or UAE.ANY LINK ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

8 Awesomely Wise Tips To Being a Successful Caterer In Nigeria. / Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. / Nigeria Army Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.