Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,722 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. (8338 Views)

Share Your Experiences As A Younger Senior Management Staff / Did You Recently Quit Your Job For Another One? Let Us Share Experiences / Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Meldrick(m): 4:19pm On Mar 18, 2010
I just decided to start this thread because I feel it's necessary we relate ugly experiences we have in our offices and learn how to avoid them.

I was attending to my clients today when vouchers were given to me for processing but due to the pressure from my clients, i decided to finsh with the client I had on hand before taking the voucher to my boss. Sincerely I forgot and later remembered when the lady in finance (who gave me the voucher reminded me). I took these vouchers to my boss and he signed them.

The big surprise was when i went later to see my boss. I saw one of my female colleagues (who sits two seats away from me) talking with my boss and the man instantly reacted angrily with me for bringing the vouchers late to him. I couldn't understand why this lady went to report me to him because she has no involvement with the vouchers. We laugh together and I never had a problem with her. I just saw the shock in her when I came in like she was never expecting me that time. I kept wondering why did this lady do this or what does she stand to gain from this. Iam really surprised.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by iice(f): 5:57pm On Mar 25, 2010
hmmm
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Nobody: 2:09am On Mar 29, 2010
its called office politics. its done just to buy favour.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by omega25red(m): 2:54am On Mar 29, 2010
the people you laugh with at work are the ones you really have to be careful about because they are usually the snitches and back stabbers at work. Be careful and pay more attention so you dont seem like you are incompotent at work
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by swintec: 4:16am On Mar 29, 2010
aguiyi:

its called office politics. its done just to buy favour.

@ aguiyi, your reaction suggest that you indulge in this kind of cheap popularity. Trying to bring someone down is not the best way to rise. Everyone can falter. Although some do it too often to be pardoned. Yet, gossiping is not to be encouraged. If someone dose something wrong, show him love by correcting him in private. Though, there are times you can report, and that is when the action of another is possible of affecting your own credibility or is threatening the corporate existence of your source of livelihood. However, the bottom line is:

You don't have to snuff out someones candle to make your own shine brighter
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by hollandis(f): 6:07am On Mar 29, 2010
If my boss happens to shout /insults me in the presence of a colleague or client,i will say ''I am sorry sir'' afterall no one is an island of knowledge,and mistakes make us human.However if ,he decides to take the case too serious,and shouting and barking like a dog,i wont give a damn ,there will be so much arrogance expression on my face.If he decides to the the worst (sack me?) then that is his business .I always prepare for the worst in any estalishment i work.

As for the 'eye service' co worker(i am sure you are surprised I didnt mention him/her all along).I am going to warn him /her never to poke nose into my work affair.

I usually have fun at work,because no one dares crosses my path,except if my supervisors sees any mistakes in my routine .Though i aint no angel ,but i reduce mistakes to the bearest minimum.call me arrogant ?who cares

One of the questions that has helped in the past is ''what is the worst my boss can do to me''.FIRE ME''.If he does that he has succeeded in sacking a great asset to his establishment.As for me, i will be shoping for another job,but not to worry,my CV is a darling to many organisation.Even if i dnt get a job,i have saved previously,i am unmarried(who gives a f--k about marriage) and i will retire in 4 years time so wtf? kiss grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Nobody: 6:11am On Mar 29, 2010
hollandis, 4 years? Damn, how old are you?
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by godinser: 7:15am On Mar 29, 2010
Sychophancy reigns supreme in my office, hypocricy is the in thing and unfortunately, my bosses reward these sychophants without reading between the line. It sucks
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by AjanleKoko: 7:36am On Mar 29, 2010
The Nigerian corporate environment is a beehive of sycophancy, profligacy, and other vices.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by gbubs: 8:10am On Mar 29, 2010
I have had several bad experiences but wont be mentioning them here'cause my colleaques frequent this forum, but my advice to anyone is never ever make friends at work, apart from official stuff, no one should even know the name of your mother, that way you wont be burnt and also be very good at what you do because that was what saved me and is still working for me, i was supposedly suspended for 5days due to my being set-up but because of my contribution to the company it was reduced to 2days, infact it was almost cancelled until the very person i went to for help advised the management to make sure i sit at home for some days. After that experience i have been like an island, some call me hermit, some snub, I don't care what they call me all I know is if they don't know you they cant hurt you, nobody but my boss even has my mobile number, if i discover the number has leaked, I change it, for all they know I may be an undercover agent, the trick is MAKE THEM AFRAID OF YOU, but exclude your boss form this list and all will be well plus never ever try these crazy politics or eye-service that is going on in most offices now, bad karma for you,
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Nobody: 8:27am On Mar 29, 2010
The Nigerian corporate environment is a beehive of sycophancy, profligacy, and other vices.

end of story.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by seyenko(m): 8:32am On Mar 29, 2010
AjanleKoko:

It is not just in Nigeria oh ! it is all over the world, every company i contracted for in Britain, some one some where wants to discuss the boss and a group of other people they called 'wankers' with me. They just wanted to know my black minority opinion, but i have learnt they just want to get me into trouble so i simply smile and play along but never did i pass a comment on anybody.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by aieromon(m): 8:38am On Mar 29, 2010
I always avoid confrontation.Don't be caught in office gossip.Listen,but never comment.Always keep your views to a barest minimum.
There is always someone in that office waiting to use you as his/her steppin' stone for career enhancement.
I can't be touched.
. . .And yea,always respect the golden rule - Do your job the right way at the right time.This opens doors quicker than kissin' your bosses' a$$.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Nobody: 8:43am On Mar 29, 2010
^^^^

myb where u work. . .
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by AjanleKoko: 8:46am On Mar 29, 2010
aieromon:

I always avoid confrontation.Don't be caught in office gossip.Listen,but never comment.Always keep your views to a barest minimum.
There is always someone in that office waiting to use you as his/her steppin' stone for career enhancement.
I can't be touched.
. . .And yea,always respect the golden rule - Do your job the right way at the right time.This opens doors quicker than kissin' your bosses' a$$.

This is spot on. In the long run, this is what always works. Maybe not in the short run though.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Friestone(m): 8:49am On Mar 29, 2010
Hmm strange things are happening cool
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by switch411(m): 8:54am On Mar 29, 2010
None!! before i Formed my own company and became the CEO of my own firm, i never had any stress at work, trust the 48 49 laws of power obeyed to the letter!!
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Meldrick(m): 9:04am On Mar 29, 2010
I have a boss who acts on the first reports he gets. He doesn't wait for any explanation and he never forgets wrongs that have been done to him. Iam learning how to avoid him and my colleagues but painfully these are the people you spend all the day with.

When my friend was telling me of his own ordeal in the office, I got more scared of the office environment but I wonder what any one gains when his/her colleague is sacked and thrown to the streets. Some people really have stony hearts, No conscience.
I have just learnt to mind my business in my office and make less comments because according to my friend'' The same people you laugh with in the office are the same people who testify falsely against you''.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by eduaustin(m): 9:15am On Mar 29, 2010
gbubs:

I have had several bad experiences but wont be mentioning them here'cause my colleaques frequent this forum, [i][size=8pt]but my advice to anyone is never ever make friends at work, apart from official stuf[/size][/i]f, no one should even know the name of your mother, that way you wont be burnt and also be very good at what you do because that was what saved me and is still working for me, i was supposedly suspended for 5days due to my being set-up but because of my contribution to the company it was reduced to 2days, infact it was almost cancelled until the very person i went to for help advised the management to make sure i sit at home for some days. After that experience i have been like an island, some call me hermit, some snub, I don't care what they call me all I know is if they don't know you they cant hurt you, nobody but my boss even has my mobile number, if i discover the number has leaked, I change it,  for all they know I may be an undercover agent, the trick is MAKE THEM AFRAID OF YOU, but exclude your boss form this list and all will be well plus never ever try these crazy politics or eye-service that is going on in most offices now, bad karma for you,

END OF STORY!!!
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by mayboy81(m): 9:40am On Mar 29, 2010
Just go to the banking environment, that's where you'll receive the shock of your life.  that thing can be very very frustrating but you just have to keep your head straight and act like they never bother you. its part of life anyways.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by fizzybaba(m): 9:55am On Mar 29, 2010
My office is the worst.

can you imagine. Politics in my office share a semblance with the Nigerian political climate. There is a cabal headed by a top official (highly regarded by the MD)
Being a one man business, The Md trust the head of the cabal to high heavens. if he doesnt like you, you are on ur way out.

its happening cuz its a one man business. we often joke that we have two parties.AC and PDP. we, outside of the cabal, are AC!

I almost lost my job in the first week of this year when he made a damning report about me.

My HOD, an A/C member, who was present in the meeting discarded the report emphatically.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by dbigrod(m): 10:08am On Mar 29, 2010
[size=16pt]the truth is, if u have a very nice cv,then u dont need to be afraid of being fired.most ogas think dat they own the lives of their workers.u have to be a brave man even though d boss pays d  salary.always save for bad times and for eventualities.if my boss insults me unnecessarily,i would react rudely to him.if he fires me,it wont take me  2 months 2 get another one.i cant go to school,finish with good grades,equip myself with on- the- job skills and experiences only to be treated like a mechanic apprentice. i am too volatile 2 take such shit[/size]
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Fancier(f): 10:37am On Mar 29, 2010
It is not funny when you start getting some funny statement that are not sutable and they take it jokingly just know that there are talks going behind you,

I had some issues 3-4 weeks back when i got some silly comments and snubs all in the name of jealosy that am a female and can do the job better and smatter than the male folks in my fieldso they fill treaten including the so called female admin we have, till date i dont know who brought up the gossip but i did what i know how to do best, SHOWING DEAF EARS AND BLIND SIGHT OF THEM,DO MY JOB AND STILL SHOW MY SWEET SMILES, no comment to any gist, even when am asked for oppinium. I just do my things but guess what they are all seeking for my attention now but i just dnt want that . Like a poster said the less your coleagues know a bout you, the Better.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by graphical2: 10:40am On Mar 29, 2010
Had lots of sad experiences, but the most painful, and still painful sad was when I had to resign unwilling, because my direct boss got a job in a rival company.  

Though I eventually got employed by my boss in the new company, I feel sad because, I have more chances of moving up the managerial ladder in the former.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by hollandis(f): 11:07am On Mar 29, 2010
FL Gators:

hollandis, 4 years? Damn, how old are you?
FL,I am papa o.I will be like a sugar daddy to you
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by brideman: 11:13am On Mar 29, 2010
For the past 13 years i've being a victim of office politics,
and i have discovered things that are very very important,
you must be honest and courageous. and make sure u are
good in what u are doing in your office, dont 4get to plan for for the future.
I work in a public office (A PARASTATAL),
i want to tell u that the politics in a public office is far more than
that of private establishment.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Nobody: 11:20am On Mar 29, 2010
Hmmmn, office politics!

My office doesn't really have that a lot, we are ruled by a dictator! Sowe learnt early to go in a pack and watch out for each other undecided
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by brideman: 11:40am On Mar 29, 2010
Hmmmn, office politics!

My office doesn't really have that a lot, we are ruled by a dictator! Sowe learnt early to go in a pack and watch out for each other

Thank God 4 ur office, but watchout very well, watch as a pack and as a person, from the pack watch comes the politicians. shocked shocked shocked
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Gettolove(m): 12:15pm On Mar 29, 2010
my office, is no waiting !!!!! no stopping !!!!! no loittering !!!!! no BRT lane!!!!! no facebook !!!!!!! tyrant GMD !!!!!!!
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by Toppiano(m): 12:20pm On Mar 29, 2010
Office politics is everywhere, be it private of public office. The rule is this.
Listen but never comment
Assume everyday is your last in that office.
Prepare for rainy days
Be good in what you do.
Be brave
And finally, take a big loan as soon as u are eligible. Even if u don't need it, keep it.
They will be afraid to sack you because they don't want to lose their money. shocked grin
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by v3: 12:35pm On Mar 29, 2010
It happened just last week where i work, there's this lady (in IT, a corper) i helped configure her phone to surf the net,i also helped the I.T staff to manage/administer the network (I just happen to know these Windows Server things).

I NEVER knew they'd spent about 3 mill on some sort of security/firewall stuff that'll NOT allow staffs use Facebook n Twitter while at work, I was Tweeting on my laptop and the SAME girl i helped saw me and called the I.T guys cry cry , My boss was like "Kev, you just breached a firewall we spent 3million to implement". I passed out when i heard the amount, I was like "Where do i start from?"

The thing is, since then. . I've limited the work-place chat-ups & distance myself from the I.T dept.
Re: Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. by jidobaba(m): 12:38pm On Mar 29, 2010
Toppiano:

And finally, take a  big loan as soon as u are eligible. Even if u don't need it, keep it.
They will be afraid to sack you because they don't want to lose their money. shocked grin

An Office Politician ,
but most oga's are wise to this now. They just give you the loans at  such high interests rates, make sure that there are always outstanding sums owed you( last months salary, leave allowance, 13th month, staff co-operative, etc) ,

when the scale tilts in their favour, then you'll know who's boss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

8 Awesomely Wise Tips To Being a Successful Caterer In Nigeria. / Nigeria Army Career / Needs Guide On How To Lodge A Formal Complaint

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.