Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:32 PM

Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look (40821 Views)

Puff Puff Recipe / **** Oyinbo Princess Makes Puff Puff**** / Recipe For Chin-chin And Puff-puff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Georgettes(f): 8:26am On Jul 24, 2009
I'm doing everything right but my puff puff still remains flat. pls what is wrong? anybody help? would appreciate.
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Fhemmmy: 3:58pm On Jul 24, 2009
I will ask my Mom and post her answer.
But i love puff puff, especially the ghana people own, but have to soak the oil out of it sha, cos i cant eat with the oil.
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Georgettes(f): 5:51pm On Jul 24, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I will ask my Mom and post her answer.
But i love puff puff, especially the ghana people own, but have to soak the oil out of it sha, cos i cant eat with the oil.

Pls do smiley for the first time I decided to try myself, did everything right but just can't get that ball shape.
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by chiogo(f): 6:42pm On Jul 24, 2009
The yeast matters oo. . . .you shouldn't put a lot but yeasts make em rise so I guess you're not putting enough.
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Georgettes(f): 6:46pm On Jul 24, 2009
chiogo:

The yeast matters oo. . . .you shouldn't put a lot but yeasts make em rise so I guess you're not putting enough.

i'm sure i put a lot or at least enough. i'll try the warm water though but im really wasting a lot of flour trying just because i want to get it right sad smiley
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by JeSoul(f): 8:05pm On Jul 24, 2009
Yeah the warm water matters but the quantity also matters too.

Try varying the amounts of water you add and see what it looks like after you fry it. It may take some trial & error before you get it right. Also watch that your oil is hot enough and the mixture 'floats' and not just sinks & stays at the bottom.

Happy PuffPuffing!  smiley
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Fhemmmy: 8:55pm On Jul 24, 2009
Georgette$:

Pls do smiley for the first time I decided to try myself, did everything right but just can't get that ball shape.

U already have enuf help, so good luck.
Remember to come serve us some oh when it turns out well
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Georgettes(f): 9:39pm On Jul 24, 2009
Thanks all, i'm trying it again right now. I packed all the yeast  inside and made the mixing as thick as possible, now let me see if this would work angry sad i'm really wasting a lot of flour and ingredients because i really need to get this right smiley

JeSoul:

Happy PuffPuffing! smiley

grin not yet but i wish, let's see
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Fhemmmy: 11:33pm On Jul 24, 2009
Georgette$:

Thanks all, i'm trying it again right now. I packed all the yeast  inside and made the mixing as thick as possible, now let me see if this would work angry sad i'm really wasting a lot of flour and ingredients because i really need to get this right smiley

grin not yet but i wish, let's see

some pix would be nice too grin
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by MrCrackles(m): 11:36pm On Jul 24, 2009
Poster

Oh dear. . . .U r prolly not cut for the kitchen! cool
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jul 24, 2009
Georgette$:

I'm doing everything right but my puff puff still remains flat. pls what is wrong? anybody help? would appreciate.
Did you add yeast?
That's the key ingredient

And when you mixed them all, did you leave the mixture for a while?
Usually, I oven warm it for like 6 hours before frying
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jul 25, 2009
you have to give it time to rise. If it doesnt, then check the yeast.
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Georgettes(f): 5:47pm On Jul 25, 2009
FL Gators:

Did you add yeast?
That's the key ingredient

And when you mixed them all, did you leave the mixture for a while?
Usually, I oven warm it for like 6 hours before frying

tpia.:

you have to give it time to rise. If it doesnt, then check the yeast.

I added a lot of yeast don't really know how much more to add. Should i add like a lot a lot, almost covering the flour?

Also i left it for a while as they said 2 and a half hours. I didn't know u can leave it for 6 hours. i'm almost giving up in trying, it was ok but not the same usual taste or real ball like shape.

@fhemmy
I would have taken the pictures of d ones i made but couldn't find my camera

@mr crackles, maybe until u taste my jollof rice and other foods, u would b singing a different tune cheesy

P.S Has any of you tried it at home and got the real puff puff? wonder what exactly i'm doing so wrong.
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 25, 2009
I havent made puffpuff for a long time, but maybe I will soon.

Also, did you notice if the dough rose or not, after you left it for two1/2 hours?

and did you beat or stir it again after it rose? You're not supposed to do so, because that lets all the air out and it loses the puffy shape.

Try "molding" the balls by hand or if you're using a ladle, dip it in water after each one.

Its like the technology behind dumplings, really, except puffpuff is fried instead of boiled.
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by spikedcylinder: 6:50pm On Jul 25, 2009
When I saw this in "recent posts", I couldn't help chuckling at the title. cheesy
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Georgettes(f): 8:27pm On Jul 25, 2009
tpia.:

I havent made puffpuff for a long time, but maybe I will soon.

Also, did you notice if the dough rose or not, after you left it for two1/2 hours?

and did you beat or stir it again after it rose? You're not supposed to do so, because that lets all the air out and it loses the puffy shape.

Try "molding" the balls by hand or if you're using a ladle, dip it in water after each one.

Its like the technology behind dumplings, really, except puffpuff is fried instead of boiled.

Yes it rose but i dont know how much it ought to rise or how high?

i didn't stir it again

In other words, if u suggest me molding it by hand, i'm assuming i have to make it very very thick. i guess i would have 2 make it sooooooooooooooo thick so i could try moulding it by hand. i seriously want 2 get this right sad

spikedcylinder:

When I saw this in "recent posts", I couldn't help chuckling at the title. cheesy

bad girl wat were u thinking grin
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by rubi(f): 9:27pm On Jul 25, 2009
Use deep frying pan and enough oil. If you use shallow frying pan and small oil it will be flat
Also don't put to much water but enough egg/magarine as risng and binding agent
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jul 25, 2009
rubi:

Use deep frying pan and enough oil. If you use shallow frying pan and small oil it will be flat
When is oil enough?

Georgette$:

I added a lot of yeast don't really know how much more to add. Should i add like a lot a lot, almost covering the flour?

Also i left it for a while as they said 2 and a half hours. I didn't know u can leave it for 6 hours. i'm almost giving up in trying, it was ok but not the same usual taste or real ball like shape.

Yes, you can leave it for 6 hours. Mix it after midnight or the night before, leave it in the oven to rise, then fry it the next morning.

I think 2 packets of yeast should be enough, add carnation milk and maybe 2 eggs. Warm water, not cold water.

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412A2CST2RL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-18,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg[/img]
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by xoxoxo(f): 6:22am On Jul 26, 2009
Hi

Not sure of your recipe ingredients.  While there are many reasons your dough won't rise, here are a few

Proofing: - Heat kill yeast. The dough has to be in a warm place, not a hot place.
Yeast and water: -Warm water is fine, about the same as body temp, if the water is too hot it will kill the yeast
Sugar and yeast go hand in hand (help yeast to grow faster). Maybe the measurement of the sugar does not match the yeast measurement
use the 'fresh yeast", to me it's the best (see pic)

Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Georgettes(f): 8:39am On Jul 27, 2009
rubi:

FL Gators:

When is oil enough?
Yes, you can leave it for 6 hours. Mix it after midnight or the night before, leave it in the oven to rise, then fry it the next morning.

I think 2 packets of yeast should be enough, add carnation milk and maybe 2 eggs. Warm water, not cold water.

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412A2CST2RL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-18,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg[/img]
xoxoxo:

Hi

Not sure of your recipe ingredients. While there are many reasons your dough won't rise, here are a few

Proofing: - Heat kill yeast. The dough has to be in a warm place, not a hot place.
Yeast and water: -Warm water is fine, about the same as body temp, if the water is too hot it will kill the yeast
Sugar and yeast go hand in hand (help yeast to grow faster). Maybe the measurement of the sugar does not match the yeast measurement
use the 'fresh yeast", to me it's the best (see pic)

I didn't know they add eggs in puff puff and milk but this time, i added egg, no milk and a lot of sugar. also made it a little thick. i
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Georgettes(f): 8:42am On Jul 27, 2009
If this one i'm trying again doesn't work out, i'm thinking my next option would be to make it so thick and mould it with hand into the ball shape and put in the oil.

Also i got a little confuse here, so many different recipes for this puff puff i don't really know what to use.

@FL Gator
wat does the milk do for the puff puff? also do i also have to add butter?

Have any of you tried it?? and did it work out fine?? pls tell me.
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Nobody: 8:44am On Jul 27, 2009
add half a can of carnation milk next time.

Yes, its gotta be very thick

Georgette$:

@FL Gator
wat does the milk do for the puff puff? also do i also have to add butter?

Have any of you tried it?? and did it work out fine?? pls tell me.
I don't add butter, I add carnation milk. I don't exactly know what the milk does, but it work for me.

I help cook puff puff for some Nigerian parties.
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by mohawkchic(f): 3:02am On Jul 28, 2009
~Baking Powder gave my experimental "Akara" a well round puff  grin that was after a couple i fried came out flat! I was well pleased w/ myself  cheesy

~I'm learning a lot about your food,the different names we call similar or same food. . i find it quite intriguing

~The Black Eye Beans fritters you folks call "Akara" my folks say  "Binch Akara"

~Banana fritters is "Akara" am yet to learn what you call yours  undecided I dont suppose you all do fritters w/ banana?

~Puff Puff . . Erm am trying to think whats its called but its a blank for now. . i thought my "Akara" was what you called "Puff Puff" but the ingredients arent the same. . .

Sierra Leone Akara

~Flour
~Sugar
~Nutmeg
~Baking Powder
~Over-ripe Banana

1 Like

Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jul 28, 2009
Banana fritters is "Akara" am yet to learn what you call yours   I dont suppose you all do fritters w/ banana

akara is only the fried bean paste, in Nigeria.

There's a version of plantain fritters made some parts of Nigeria but I dont know the recipe. Its really thick and peppery. Called dodo Ikire.

Puffpuff is like big fried dumplings/dough with yeast added. Quite sweet and tasty.
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Fhemmmy: 5:33pm On Jul 28, 2009
This woman never show us the pix of the puff puff oh

1 Like

Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by mohawkchic(f): 7:25pm On Jul 28, 2009
tpia.:

akara is only the fried bean paste, in Nigeria.

There's a version of plantain fritters made some parts of Nigeria but I dont know the recipe. Its really thick and peppery. Called dodo Ikire.

Puffpuff is like big fried dumplings/dough with yeast added. Quite sweet and tasty.

~Aaah Okies,Ta.

~The Plantain Cake Fritters was mentioned in "What To Do With Over-ripe Plantain" thread. . .

~Would i be right to think folks dont actually use "Banana" but Plantain in fritters?

~Here's a pic of my "Akara",i had to strangle squeeze the oil off of it tho,not really keen on how oily mine came out. . . cheesy

Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jul 28, 2009
mohawkchic:

~Aaah Okies,Ta.

~The Plantain Cake Fritters was mentioned in "What To Do With Over-ripe Plantain" thread. . .

~Would i be right to think folks dont actually use "Banana" but Plantain in fritters?

~Here's a pic of my "Akara",i had to strangle squeeze the oil off of it tho,not really keen on how oily mine came out. . . cheesy

yes, the Nigerian version uses plantain, not bananas.

Your photo looks like a smaller version of akara or puffpuff. The oil is normally drained off, like you said. The akara balls arent squeezed though. grin

no pun intended. cheesy wink
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by oyinda3(f): 9:16pm On Jul 28, 2009
i thought akaras were flatter not spher-ish
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jul 28, 2009
oyinda.:

i thought akaras were flatter not spher-ish

they could be flat, round or spherish depending on the thickness, oil temperature and shape of fryer.

If you make them with a frying pan, they'll be flat. But if you use a deep pot or fryer, they'll come out round as long as the oil is thoroughly heated.

I fit open akara business sef
Re: Pls Help My Puff Puff Is Always Flat Not The Ball Like Shape It Is Meant To Look by Hauwa1: 10:05pm On Jul 28, 2009
me too i fit open akara business with fried yam wink

i must have yaji or pepper ready for my akara business.

puff puff ummm, the oil put me off. the puff puff i tasted at nig parties here too hard (na buns). puff puff should be very soft inside.
there was this puff i tasted in nig made with adigbo, grin abi kini be the name sef

(1) (2) (Reply)

Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) / Alomo Bitters Aka Casapreco: Whats The Big Deal? / Food: Whose Place Would You Visit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.