Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,642 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari (21173 Views)

Hembe, Sacked Lawmaker, Appointed Board Chairman By Buhari / Jigawa Residents Receive N5000 Promised By Buhari During 2015 Campaign / Okorocha Celebrates General Rogers Nicholas, Promoted By Buhari(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Ik09: 6:42am On Mar 25, 2016
tuale4u:
devaluation will only make import easy for importers. d current system will promote local production in d long run. All d people asking for official devaluation is to make import of luxury and import of products we want to make locally cheaper. This will kill local production. We are currently importing luxury and other non essential product at 320 naira to a dollar. If we devalue to say 250 and free forex, we start importing them at 250 naira to a dollar. This will kill d motivation 4 local production.

we must bear dis initial difficulties to achieve local production.

i support PMB rigidity on this. Any attempt tp go flexible we will return to where we have been and Nigeria wont progress.

How so? Has the power situation improved? Did banks reduce interest rates for business loans? Are there any signs that the government intends to improve the road infrastructure to facilitate trade?

Nigeria is an import-dependent nation because in most cases, it's cheaper to import goods than make them locally.

With the worsening economy local production is more likely to reduce, as companies dependent on imported raw materials go out of business. Definitely a few manufacturers can be able to source locally, but it's unrealistic to expect local production to completely replace importation.

No country can produce all the goods it needs!

2 Likes

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Realdeals(m): 6:45am On Mar 25, 2016
Most of these economist article writers are portfolio managers. I read an article by a portfolio manager who manages a $13billion fund calling for devaluation so that they could come and invest in the forex market and boost our import.
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Nobody: 6:45am On Mar 25, 2016
Why can't we kuku devalue to N400/$ once and for all, since everybody is shouting devaluation now... In fact,, if devaluation is that beautiful bride so detested by bubu I think we should even go a little bit mor ...say $600/$
tuale4u:
devaluation will only make import easy for importers. d current system will promote local production in d long run. All d people asking for official devaluation is to make import of luxury and import of products we want to make locally cheaper. This will kill local production. We are currently importing luxury and other non essential product at 320 naira to a dollar. If we devalue to say 250 and free forex, we start importing them at 250 naira to a dollar. This will kill d motivation 4 local production.

i support PMB rigidity on this. Any attempt tp go flexible we will return to where we have been and Nigeria wont progress.

1 Like

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by bloodykiller: 6:45am On Mar 25, 2016
ellechrystal:
And some zombies who know nothing about Economics will come here n type trash, God help us o. This kind president , his policies r killing his citizens,
N he is so non challant about it.
I blame the people who were chanting "CHAINS"
It's not about being victorious after the elections, the real thing is how to maintain the victory
JONATHAN, I no go lie, we miss u
I guess even in defeat, Jonathan is the victor here
can you be my wife undecided
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by ICEFLAME419ja(m): 6:46am On Mar 25, 2016
Dahveydson:
Listen to the economists at your own peril.

PMB refuses to devalue, if you like write a whole bible on it. A policy that is still in motion have been concluded not working already.

Sigh

We've had countless threads from intelligent Nigerians on here, and the conclusion have been devaluation is a no no. Plz go and pay your nepa bill first,,, owww i forgot your dad still pays the bill not you.... Next time when the bill comes around plz take it to your dad n say Daddy plz go and pay the bill b4 you're being disconnected MAKE HIM TEAR U CHANGE FOR FACE.

Wailers and their likes said naira will go up to N500 to $1 if we don't devalue, we haven't devalued, and it's still N320 on the black market.

We will continue to hold the forte..

I SAY NO TO DEVALUATION
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by ICEFLAME419ja(m): 6:48am On Mar 25, 2016
Plz go and pay your nepa bill first,,, owww i forgot your dad still pays the bill not you.... Next time when the bill comes around plz take it to your dad n say Daddy plz go and pay the bill b4 you're being disconnected MAKE HIM TEAR U CHANGE FOR FACE.
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by adanny01(m): 6:50am On Mar 25, 2016
ellechrystal:
And some zombies who know nothing about Economics will come here n type trash, God help us o. This kind president , his policies r killing his citizens,
It's not about being victorious after the elections, the real thing is how to maintain the victory

Dont you find it strange that Nigeria depends on import for food and without forex, we have food shortage? Is it not a disgrace.

You think a president like Mogabe ia all bad, because he let them suffer instead of openning the borders for every Tom, Jack and Harry to dump anything he wants and the people would just accept.

Nigrians have devrloped too much of a tase for foreign products that we killed local production making us entirely dependent in forex. If you think you know economics, you show know that its better to produce at home. Since we dont want to do it ourselves, the president took a stand. Fix ourselves or die.

6 Likes

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Stanbeto: 6:50am On Mar 25, 2016
Only God can help Nigeria
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Nobody: 6:52am On Mar 25, 2016
Importers of raw material that cannot be locally sourced I think can have access to CBN rate... I think this is exactly the purpose the official/black market dichotomy? Bubu no even dey stay country to know if the bankers are taking advantage of the no devaluation policy... I don't k ow why banks will exchange dollar they got @199 form CBN only to exchange for people in

diaspora @320
Ik09:

How so? Has the power situation improved? Did banks reduce interest rates for business loans? Are there any signs that the government intends to improve the road infrastructure to facilitate trade?

Nigeria is an import-dependent nation because in most cases, it's cheaper to import goods than make them locally.

With the worsening economy local production is more likely to reduce, as companies dependent on imported raw materials go out of business. Definitely a few manufacturers can be able to source locally, but it's unrealistic to expect local production to completely replace importation.

No country can produce all the goods it needs!
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by lexxylalas2(m): 6:53am On Mar 25, 2016
Marvin67:
The economist doesnt need to write all these grammer, even the old woman selling pepper down the road can explain that things aren't working and times are hard. Companies are releasing employees, cost of the day to day good has increased, there's no fuel to run around, everything is tight , simply because one baba would not listen.
If only this president would listen, if only he'd seek advice from those who know.
Anyway, we re waiting for him around the corner in 2019. His party says "no vacancy in aso rock" we'd show them that with our votes we decide who stays in aso rock and who leaves aso rock.

Let's even start now, click like if you want Buhari out of aso rock , for a better Nigeria. Click share if you believe Buhari should remain in aso rock to fix Nigeria

Now you guys are clicking like and share abi..we said before now that buhari would be worse than GEJ.una don vote for am so deal with the situation ur facing. angry
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by tuniski: 6:59am On Mar 25, 2016
DankemzI:

And this same Party said there's no vacancy in 2019.
I would like to know the kind of propaganda they'll use then grin grin
Old Tinubu fooling himself, instead of bringing a prof. "Osibanjo" to rule.
He brought a brain-dead illiterate smh

Anyone but buhari, u won't see 500k votes from kano let alone 1.9m. It has to be d demigod buhari even as clueless as he has always proven to be. 2019 nigerians including the zombies will angrily send him outt of Aso rock.
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Nobody: 7:02am On Mar 25, 2016
Tiskified:
DISCLAIMER: This post is a my reflection on a currency devaluation. It is not meant to be a defense of or a rejection of a decision to devalue. Note also that this post is not political in nature. Just my thoughts.

Where a country operates a fixed exchange rate syatem like we do in Nigeria, devaluation as a monetary policy would involve reducing the value of the Naira with respect to those goods, services or other monetary units with which the naira can be exchanged. When we devalue our currency, we officially lower its value versus other currencies in a fixed exchange rate system that is the monetary authority (the CBN) formally sets a new fixed rate with respect to a foreign reference currency (in this case the dollar)

A devaluation means that the value of the Naira falls. Nigerians will find imports and foreign travel more expensive. However domestic exports will benefit from their exports becoming cheaper.

Herein lies the crux of the matter.

A weakened currency is only valuable if we EXPORT!

Advantages of devaluation

1. Exports become cheaper and more competitive to foreign buyers. This provides a boost for domestic demand and could lead to job creation in the export sector.
2. Higher level of exports should in theory lead to an improvement in the current account deficit. This is important if the country has a large current account deficit due to a lack of competitiveness.

3. Higher exports and aggregate demand (AD) can lead to higher rates of economic growth.

Disadvantages of devaluation

1. Is likely to cause inflation because:

Imports more expensive (any imported good or raw material will increase in price)

Aggregate Demand increases causing demand pull inflation.

Firms / exporters have less incentive to cut costs because they can rely on the devaluation to improve competitiveness. The concern is in the long-term devaluation may lead to lower productivity because of the decline in incentives.

2. Reduces the purchasing power of citizens abroad. e.g. more expensive to go on holiday abroad.

3. A large and rapid devaluation may scare off international investors. It makes investors less willing to hold government debt because it is effectively reducing the value of their holdings.

4. If consumers have debts, e.g. mortgages in foreign currency – after a devaluation they will see a sharp rise in the cost of their debt repayments. This occurred in Hungary when many had taken out a mortgage in foreign currency.

In summary devaluation of a currency is not a task to be taken lightly. If we stimulate exports properly then it MAY be beneficial in the long run. But just devaluing for the sake of having the dollar more readily available is a reckless economic endeavour.
Finally, someone making some sense

1 Like

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by alt3r3g0: 7:07am On Mar 25, 2016
Corruption in Nigeria needs to go.

Every policy meant for good always ends up derailed by corruption.
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by InvertedHammer: 7:07am On Mar 25, 2016
/
The author sounds ridiculous and ignorant.

He said that Nigeria exports oil and imports almost everything else. Yet the solution he is proferring is the devaluation of naira. Incredible!

Nigeria needs to revamp her manufacturing base to rely less on import. Now that is a solution. It is not a rocket science. If you fail to tell your story, someone would do their best to tell it. This has been the bane of the unprofessional Nigeria media that allows foreign media to tell their stories because the local media is highly compromised to be credible.

There you have it.
/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by blackpanda: 7:08am On Mar 25, 2016
DankemzI:

And this same Party said there's no vacancy in 2019.
I would like to know the kind of propaganda they'll use then grin grin
Old Tinubu fooling himself, instead of bringing a prof. "Osibanjo" to rule.
He brought a brain-dead illiterate smh

Yes like the typical wailer, all you do is insult and abuse. You have no appreciation for the situation we are in, except that to you anything buhari must be bad. Which is a shame, because nigerians are supposed to be one od the most intelligent breed on the planet. But of cos there are exceptions to this.

Ask yourself, in the entire article u read by the economist can u point out any single advantage of devaluing Apart from boosting imports for which we dont have the dollars and therby improving the economy of the west at our own peril.

1 Like

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by plaetton: 7:12am On Mar 25, 2016
tuale4u:

Hilarious.

Your reasoning is upside down sir.

I don't know what strong drink you been having, but read your post again and see if it makes any sense.

A weeker currency makes IMPORTS MORE EXPENSIVE and EXPORTS CHEAPER.
Secondary school Commerce 101.
Daahhhh !!

Therefore, a weeker currency would be a way to discourage imports and encourage local industries and EXPORTS.

If, according to you, we are importing luxury goods at N320 per $1 right now, then By what logic would we be importing same at N250 per $1 when our currency is devalued ?

This convoluted logic suggests to me that they didn't teach you well at all in APC propaganda school.
Blame your teacher.
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Nbote(m): 7:16am On Mar 25, 2016
Whether d naira is devalued or not, d harsh realities are very obvious as d price of essential commodities have skyrocketed because of policies which tend to still serve the elites. What's the difference between the dual exchange rate and devaluation sef. D President really needs to go back to d drawing board cos from his own admission at their recent meeting, his cabinet have really disappointed with some irrational and ill-advised policies. There's no shame in seeking advice and help from other renown experts. Let the APC put aside it's political differences, swallow it's pride and invite some of the economic policy makers from the previous administration to brainstorm and compare notes. Even if dey have to hid and do it justice to salvage the economy.
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by walanter(m): 7:25am On Mar 25, 2016
Marvin67:
The economist doesnt need to write all these grammer, even the old woman selling pepper down the road can explain that things aren't working and times are hard. Companies are releasing employees, cost of the day to day good has increased, there's no fuel to run around, everything is tight , simply because one baba would not listen.
If only this president would listen, if only he'd seek advice from those who know.
Anyway, we re waiting for him around the corner in 2019. His party says "no vacancy in aso rock" we'd show them that with our votes we decide who stays in aso rock and who leaves aso rock.

Let's even start now, click like if you want Buhari out of aso rock , for a better Nigeria. Click share if you believe Buhari should remain in aso rock to fix Nigeria
all my lif 'this is the most stupid post i av seen.

1 Like

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Nobody: 7:26am On Mar 25, 2016
plaetton:

Hilarious.

Your reasoning is upside down sir.

I don't know what strong drink you been having, but read your post again and see if it makes any sense.

A weeker currency makes IMPORTS MORE EXPENSIVE and EXPORTS CHEAPER.

You are right..

However

1.Your above scenario works ONLY if we were exporting products whose prices we could control.Nigeria exports oil whose price we cannot control....and a cheaper oil price would only make things worse.

2.Imports would become more expensive....which also affects what is left of our manufacturing sector....as most of our industries rely on imported raw materials....making even local products expensive.

Also...it won't increase our forex holdings....it would only deplete them....as we spend more to import.

3.Your scenario is not without merit....if expensive imports= developing our local industries, based on local raw materials.(Which we MUST do even if oil shoots back up to 130 dollars per barrel.).

3 Likes

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Nobody: 7:27am On Mar 25, 2016
ellechrystal:

Am not in support of devaluing d naira man.
Like I rightly stated, his policies r killing the economy, thank yoi

Is there an alternative?
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by anonimi: 7:27am On Mar 25, 2016
Stanbeto:
Only God can help Nigeria

HOW exactly do you think He will do that?
How do you think He helped our oyinbo "superiors" in the past even though we are EQUALLY intelligent as they are
I hope that you can respond.
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by walanter(m): 7:30am On Mar 25, 2016
ellechrystal:
thought been a f would mak someone hav a better insight...... Though
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Ahmed3rdjuly: 7:32am On Mar 25, 2016
Marvin67:

Evil people praying for things to remain like this till 2019 so they can have flumpsy excuses to vote out Buhari, by God's grace your fears would consume you all before 2019.
For us, we are working hard to reverse the negativity of the past decades and with God on our side we shall overcome.
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by anonimi: 7:35am On Mar 25, 2016
InvertedHammer:
/
The author sounds ridiculous and ignorant.

He said that Nigeria exports oil and imports almost everything else. Yet the solution he is proferring is the devaluation of naira. Incredible!

Nigeria needs to revamp her manufacturing base to rely less on import. Now that is a solution. It is not a rocket science. If you fail to tell your story, someone would do their best to tell it. This has been the bane of the unprofessional Nigeria media that allows foreign media to tell their stories because the local media is highly compromised to be credible.

There you have it.
/

How will you revive a non-existing manufacturing base?
Do we have the COMPETENT engineers, mathematicians, technicians, administrators, accountants, teachers, drivers, mechanics, bricklayers, etc?
No!
Do we even have the raw materials to run the old machines?
No!
Is it not by creating the environment for FOREIGN investors and ensuring that ALL our children are EDUCATED to have a pool of SKILLED labour at different levels?
Now, tell us which stupid foreign investor will bring in her money at N199 but can only repatriate the profit at N325
Do you see how Buhari's confusion simply makes a bad situation to be WORSE

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by plaetton: 7:37am On Mar 25, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

You are right..

However

1.Your above scenario works ONLY if we were exporting products whose prices we could control.Nigeria exports oil whose price we cannot control....and a cheaper oil price would only make things worse.

2.Imports would become more expensive....which also affects what is left of our manufacturing sector....as most of our industries rely on imported raw materials....making even local products expensive.

Also...it won't increase our forex holdings....it would only deplete them....as we spend more to import.

3.Your scenario is not without merit....if expensive imports= developing our local industries, based on local raw materials.(Which we MUST do even if oil shoots back up to 130 dollars per barrel.).

Fair enough.
But we have seen in Nigeria and other developing countries, that the more expensive imports get, the more inwards the consumers and manufacturers look.
Necessity is the mother of invention.
We would never look inwards unless we are compelled to do so.

For example, clothing.
It's shocking how just much we spend to import used clothing, when local fabric and clothing industries can create at least few million jobs in the economy.

I was in Benin Republic a few months ago, and it struck me that nearly everyone was wearing native attires of different styles and shades.

Only economic necessity would compel Nigerians to stop importing used trash and settle for local fabrics.

We need to be forced to change.

A currency shock would tend to do that.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by plaetton: 7:37am On Mar 25, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

You are right..

However

Fair enough, but we have seen in Nigeria and other developing countries, that more expensive imports get, the more inwards the consumers and manufacturers look.
Necessity is the mother of invention.
We would never look inwards unless we are compelled to do so.

For example, clothing.
It's shocking how much we spend to import used clothing, when local fabric and clothing industries can create at least few million jobs in the economy.

I was in Benin Republic a few months ago, and it struck me that nearly everyone was wearing native attires of different styles and shades.

Only economic necessity would compel Nigerians to stop importing used trash and settle for local fabric.

We need to forced to change.

A currency shock would tend to do that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Nobody: 7:39am On Mar 25, 2016

Yet President Muhammadu Buhari refuses to allow the naira to devalue, fretting that this would fuel inflation. Economists point out that a weaker currency would simply reflect that Nigeria is poorer now than it was when oil was above $100 a barrel. He ignores them. 

Since Mr Buhari came to power in May, the central bank has kept the official exchange rate artificially strong and restricted the supply of dollars. It refuses to release any for imports of a range of goods including meat, margarine and toothpicks. The policy is not working: inflation hit 11.4% in February and growth has fallen to 2.1%. 

1 Like

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by cardoctor(m): 7:41am On Mar 25, 2016
Patience is a virtue.

SURU LERE
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Theflint1(m): 7:42am On Mar 25, 2016
Garri don turn cassava flour?
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by ideylaff: 7:43am On Mar 25, 2016
Teewhy2:
The economist will promote poll that will best suit the world power and the rest not actually that they have the interest of ordinary Nigerians at heart. I feel this policy at the long run if properly implemented will reduce importation and encourages us to look inwards and develop our country. Countries like India were in this situation before banning all importation, and this makes the citizens looks inward and now they produce nearly all that is needed in the country.

What really do we want.

If you had keep your home tidy and financially stable with no capital flight of our money will the West we keep blaming/the economist
have a controlling or overbearing say in our situation ?

We blame the West, We don't want their ideas or suggestions yet Buhari has spent all his foreign travel begging and literally asking the west for help. Does that not sound foolish . It's more like a Christian asking for an Imams daughter in marriage and you now want to reject the brides father requesting you marry his daughter in a mosque.

[b]What do we want , some of the west or all of the west?

Even if they mean bad, do we ourselves mean well for ourselves when we steal our own money, oppress our own people and now move the money outside . Are we not the bigger fools?

Charity begins at home, practice what you preach, have EmefIOLE of CBN, The VP and President Buhari started to wear made in Nigeria shoes before they start to pontificate all over using toothpick and cons an excuse while their cronies who sponsored their election to power are busy taking advantage of the FOREX situation to round trip dollars made available to them at the expense of starving others

We know what is going on and we are not fools. Their conscience will forever prick them on what they are using to punish the people while they smile for pictures daily in Aso Rock and their silly round table meetings that have no agenda or game plan

Yes i voted for them but I admit they have let me down

They now have an attitude and have the nerves to tell us "i am not a magician , I cannot make oil queues dissappesr over night"

While they give allocation to import to cronies and swap oil like water for us [/b]

1 Like

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by BayLord01(m): 7:44am On Mar 25, 2016
Marvin67:

Why not like for Buhari and share for anti Buhari... who get the time to de share comment.
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Nobody: 7:44am On Mar 25, 2016
Teewhy2:
The economist will promote poll that will best suit the world power and the rest not actually that they have the interest of ordinary Nigerians at heart. I feel this policy at the long run if properly implemented will reduce importation and encourages us to look inwards and develop our country. Countries like India were in this situation before banning all importation, and this makes the citizens looks inward and now they produce nearly all that is needed in the country.
oga the problem is that he implement policy and he don't create necessary environment to promote it. my guy before you think of improvement in local production their must be power.But Buhari is not following the right direction, people will just suffer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Reno Omokri Reacts To Efcc's Arrest Of Innoson Motors Boss, Innocent Chukwuma / Edo APC Crisis: Obaseki Rejects Ganduje Committee, Backs Buhari's Reconciliation / APC Slams Peter Obi, Calls Him Ignorant Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.