Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,199 members, 7,818,664 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari (21174 Views)

Hembe, Sacked Lawmaker, Appointed Board Chairman By Buhari / Jigawa Residents Receive N5000 Promised By Buhari During 2015 Campaign / Okorocha Celebrates General Rogers Nicholas, Promoted By Buhari(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Nobody: 7:44am On Mar 25, 2016
Marvin67:
The economist doesnt need to write all these grammer, even the old woman selling pepper down the road can explain that things aren't working and times are hard. Companies are releasing employees, cost of the day to day good has increased, there's no fuel to run around, everything is tight , simply because one baba would not listen.
If only this president would listen, if only he'd seek advice from those who know.
Anyway, we re waiting for him around the corner in 2019. His party says "no vacancy in aso rock" we'd show them that with our votes we decide who stays in aso rock and who leaves aso rock.

Let's even start now, click like if you want Buhari out of aso rock , for a better Nigeria. Click share if you believe Buhari should remain in aso rock to fix Nigeria

Bruh, your vote is useless... APC has destroyed Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by anonimi: 7:48am On Mar 25, 2016
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Ndolarr: 7:55am On Mar 25, 2016
Insha Allah, the same Economist will write another piece very soon recommending Nigeria's forex management model to other struggling, underdeveloped, plundered and mono cultural economies in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Any mistake to officially devalue the naira now will spell total doom for Nigeria which has nothing apart from oil to export. All those investors running away from Nigeria now will soon come back as Nigerian market is too attractive to ignore! Indeed, where were the 'noisemakers' including the Economist when Jonathan was spending raw dollars like confetti during the 2015 election and when fuel subsidy scammers had a field day? Buhari has our total support to restructure the economy. Noisemakers can continue having high blood pressure!!

3 Likes

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Nobody: 7:56am On Mar 25, 2016
I am not particularly a huge fan of Buhari but fuvk economist on this.
Nigeria will grind out this pain and figure out what is more important for the growth of our country than just buying #foriegnMamaPut when we can cook at home.

3 Likes

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by ideylaff: 8:00am On Mar 25, 2016
vingeophysicist:
oga the problem is that he implement policy and he don't create necessary environment to promote it. my guy before you think of improvement in local production their must be power.But Buhari is not following the right direction, people will just suffer.

Thank you my brother or sister, they are just running blindly, shouting local production as if it works in isolation , even the one that does not need local production , poultry chicken in Nigeria is more expensive than chicken brought in from outside because they have added costs of running the business to the output.

I have never seen a bunch of promising team like this fail even from the starting blocks.

Osinbajo is a lawyer whether we like it or not he's never ran a business before as much as the constitution says he's the chairman of the economic team that is so flawed, half of them include the same Governors and assistants sitting round a table for two days drinking five alive and eating puff puff while they fly rented jets to Abuja to determine the direction of our own Economy.

The same set of people who cannot generate IGR for their states now are experts on the economy

It's such a huge joke

2 Likes

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by obge: 8:08am On Mar 25, 2016
IT IS NOT BUHARI'S REFUSAL TO DEVALUE THAT IS HURTING THE ECONOMY IT IS HIS REFUSAL TO ENCOURAGE DIVERSIFICATION. All buhari has done so far is pay lip service to diversification! No real policy to encourage local manufacturing Since he came on board. His budget allocated more funds to lai Mohammed than agriculture! Yet he tells us he wants to diversify to agriculture. one of his first actions when he came on board was to lift the ban of rice importation via land borders. A policy that was put in place to discourage smuggling and encourage local production of rice. Even though the policy was recently reversed, the harm has already been done.no serious investor will invest his money in rice production now when he knows that all it takes for the govt to reverse itself again is a 'change of weather'! As to the forex restrictions - buhari has just superintended the biggest scam of the century - and he knows it.that is why beyond lip service, he has done nothing to investigate the looting that is taking place in the way preferential forex is being allocated. Here are a few reasons why I reached this conclusion- buhari tells us he does not give forex to toothpick importers but he still gives official forex to companies like emborg to import margarine and cheese. Pls are margarine and cheese necessities or are they raw materials? Secondly, buhari tells us that he will not give official forex for school fees yet school fees still dominates the weekly forex utilization publications done by banks in the papers! Thirdly, buhari tells us that he is trying to attract foreign investors yet he has made it easy for the investors that are already in Nigeria to repatriate their capital and offload their investments at official rate! The huge exodus of investors out of Nigeria was caused by buhari's pronouncements and the govt 's knee jerk forex policy! Anybody can pick up the newspapers and go through the forex utilization publications by banks and you will see that invisible transactions like school fees, repatriation of capital, pta, bta dominate them.yet buhari is shouting no devaluation while refusing to diversify! Anybody that knows a bit about the forex trade will know that selling pta and bta by cash are the easiest way to divert official forex because they can use fake documents for returns and the money cannot be traced! IT IS VEY DISHEARTENING THAT BUHARI HAS DEMONSTRATED OBVIOUS INCOMPETENCE IN HANDLING THE ECONOMY. EVEN ON THE ANTI CORRUPTION FRONT- APART FROM ENTERTAINING US WITH SPURIOUS ARRESTS, HE HAS DONE NOTHING TO PLUG THE LOOPHOLES THAT ALLOWED THE STEALING TAKE PLACE IN THE FIRST PLACE! IN OTHER WORDS THE STEALING CONTINUES PEOPLE ARE JUST MORE CAREFUL TO COVER THEIR TRACKS! Sadly, if a buhari ( the only mai gaskiya of Nigeria) cannot do it then Nigeria is truly doomed!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Melkizedek(m): 8:11am On Mar 25, 2016
adanny01:

Dont you find it strange that Nigeria depends on import for food and without forex, we have food shortage? Is it not a disgrace.

You think a president like Mogabe ia all bad, because he let them suffer instead of openning the borders for every Tom, Jack and Harry to dump anything he wants and the people would just accept.

Nigrians have devrloped too much of a tase for foreign products that we killed local production making us entirely dependent in forex. If you think you know economics, you show know that its better to produce at home. Since we dont want to do it ourselves, the president took a stand. Fix ourselves or die.
Is that the true story? That the local manufacturers closed shop because Nigerians "developed too much taste for foreign products".... When the government couldn't give them power for over 40 years, when the price of petrol kept soaring up...and you turned around to blame the victim? Who do you think you are deceiving? Only the two gullibles that gave you a 'like'

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by menxer: 8:13am On Mar 25, 2016
So the west and owners/publishers of the economist love Nigeria more than Nigerians?

The same people that ill-advised us not to complete Ajoakuta steel, that importing everything is better for us, not to save in those years of abundance are the same people advising us to devalue, how can that be in our best interest?

Our problem is we refuse(d) to think as a nation and want foreigners to do that for us.

Tough time calls for tough decisions, and PMB/CBN have done just that in the best interest of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by ideylaff: 8:16am On Mar 25, 2016
ideylaff:

What really do we want.

If you had keep your home tidy and financially stable with no capital flight of our money will the West we keep blaming/the economist
have a controlling or overbearing say in our situation ?

We blame the West, We don't want their ideas or suggestions yet Buhari has spent all his foreign travel begging and literally asking the west for help. Does that not sound foolish . It's more like a Christian asking for an Imams daughter in marriage and you now want to reject the brides father requesting you marry his daughter in a mosque.

[b]What do we want , some of the west or all of the west?

Even if they mean bad, do we ourselves mean well for ourselves when we steal our own money, oppress our own people and now move the money outside . Are we not the bigger fools?

Charity begins at home, practice what you preach, have EmefIOLE of CBN, The VP and President Buhari started to wear made in Nigeria shoes before they start to pontificate all over using toothpick and cons an excuse while their cronies who sponsored their election to power are busy taking advantage of the FOREX situation to round trip dollars made available to them at the expense of starving others

We know what is going on and we are not fools. Their conscience will forever prick them on what they are using to punish the people while they smile for pictures daily in Aso Rock and their silly round table meetings that have no agenda or game plan

Yes i voted for them but I admit they have let me down

They now have an attitude and have the nerves to tell us "i am not a magician , I cannot make oil queues dissappesr over night"

While they give allocation to import to cronies and swap oil like water for us [/b]

You want to do away with the west and you keep travelling to beg them for help such a foolish way to make ourselves look

You think local production that relies solely on imported AGO and PMS supplied by their own cronies in power will suddenly become cheap overnight?

Such a joke of a policy, they are doing trial and error among themselves while people starve daily and they use Jonathan as an excuse to hide behind.

Has the Aso Rock budget reduced, have they stopped using the FG jets for private function travel? No

So who is the mugs here?

2nd base please So far I've wasted my vote

Such a crying shame for our expectation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by TeddyPendergrass(m): 8:17am On Mar 25, 2016
ellechrystal:
And some zombies who know nothing about Economics will come here n type trash, God help us o. This kind president , his policies r killing his citizens,
N he is so non challant about it.
I blame the people who were chanting "CHAINS"
It's not about being victorious after the elections, the real thing is how to maintain the victory
JONATHAN, I no go lie, we miss u
I guess even in defeat, Jonathan is the victor here

it's funny when people like you just jump on the band wagon and slam the president for everything.

the whole idea of what Buhari is doing is this: the CBN has now reduced the amount of greenbacks they sell to allow for import of only absolutely essential comodities thereby making the unavailability of greenbacks for those importing "toothpick" cause them to source for these comodities locally.

however the CBN policy of strong arming the exchange rate at a constant N199 is what is killing us presently.

if the force an exchange rate you always have a downward spiral in the parallel market.

research about that
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by dotun365: 8:22am On Mar 25, 2016
Dahveydson:
Listen to the economists at your own peril.

PMB refuses to devalue, if you like write a whole bible on it. A policy that is still in motion have been concluded not working already.

Sigh

We've had countless threads from intelligent Nigerians on here, and the conclusion have been devaluation is a no no.

Wailers and their likes said naira will go up to N500 to $1 if we don't devalue, we haven't devalued, and it's still N320 on the black market.

We will continue to hold the forte..

I SAY NO TO DEVALUATION
finally someone around here with brain. People want it sharp sharp which is not possible.

2 Likes

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Horlufemi(m): 8:23am On Mar 25, 2016
listen to these wailers at your own peril.

Things are hard now shey? by the time bubu devalues the naira things will get even harder. they will now say bubu is incompetent and use is against him.

the funny thing is that NOI has be saying Nigerians should brace for tough times. If Jonathan had won I'm sure things would be way worse than it should.

A lots of people here are claiming economist. did the past admin give power to enhance local production? no it didn't. let's give this administration a chance to set things right. leave your sentiment

devaluation has more disadvantages than its advantages.

one funny thing about economics is that it is not instant noodles. the effects of policies are seen years later. the same way this recession didn't start last year.

4 Likes

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by menxer: 8:29am On Mar 25, 2016
Melkizedek:

Is that the true story? That the local manufacturers closed shop because Nigerians "developed too much taste for foreign products".... When the government couldn't give them power for over 40 years, when the price of petrol kept soaring up...and you turned around to blame the victim? Who do you think you are deceiving? Only the two gullibles that gave you a 'like'

Your comment begs the question: who is the Government?

Is "he" the man from the moon? No!

We are the Government, and if government has so far failed in "its" responsibilities to do those things you mentioned, it means we have failed as a people.

1 Like

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Mordyb: 8:30am On Mar 25, 2016
tuale4u:
devaluation will only make import easy for importers. d current system will promote local production in d long run. All d people asking for official devaluation is to make import of luxury and import of products we want to make locally cheaper. This will kill local production. We are currently importing luxury and other non essential product at 320 naira to a dollar. If we devalue to say 250 and free forex, we start importing them at 250 naira to a dollar. This will kill d motivation 4 local production.

we must bear dis initial difficulties to achieve local production.

i support PMB rigidity on this. Any attempt tp go flexible we will return to where we have been and Nigeria wont progress.
please this luxury goods we speak of right now do we even have capacity to make a quarter of this products and please how can we when we don't have capital while interest rates is even demonic to look at or even. BOI Where it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of the needle than for you to get a loan

how can a young graduate be expected to get collateral three times the value he is asking for when he is not a thief

Buhari as far as reasonable people are concerned he has failed on the economic front he doesn't even understands simple supply and demand
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by SirAweezy(m): 8:30am On Mar 25, 2016
Seriously... I stop taking the Economist seriously during the gay or no gay issue in Nigeria... imagine them writing and warning me, because I didn't support the poll...

"Economist" has always been a Pressure Tool by the west. Take them serious at your own peril.
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Nobody: 8:31am On Mar 25, 2016
LMAO

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by ajepako(f): 8:32am On Mar 25, 2016
lt's so sad a foreign media would hit our problem.so hard, in fact harder than our media..

But what am l even ranting about our comatose economy for?

lsnt PMB at the helm of affairs?

lt isnt suprising : remember F9 in Economics?
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by obge: 8:33am On Mar 25, 2016
tuale4u:
devaluation will only make import easy for importers. d current system will promote local production in d long run. All d people asking for official devaluation is to make import of luxury and import of products we want to make locally cheaper. This will kill local production. We are currently importing luxury and other non essential product at 320 naira to a dollar. If we devalue to say 250 and free forex, we start importing them at 250 naira to a dollar. This will kill d motivation 4 local production.

we must bear dis initial difficulties to achieve local production.

i support PMB rigidity on this. Any attempt tp go flexible we will return to where we have been and Nigeria wont progress.

My friend all the current forex regime has done is create abnormal profits for the very few importers who have access to fx at official rate. They import at 199 and sell at 320. You might be basing your argument on the wrong assumption that official forex is allocated mainly to importers of raw materials unfortunately the reverse is the case most of d official fx is allocated to invisible non productive transactions like school fees, pta and repatriation of capital! Up till now there is no real action from govt to encourage manufacturing! Insecurity is rife, multiple taxation is common place, rule of law has gone to the dogs, land prices are exorbitant, lending rate has gone over the roof! Same with the wage rate! So please explain how buhari is encouraging local production!

1 Like

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by sweetilicious(f): 8:35am On Mar 25, 2016
Tiskified:
DISCLAIMER: This post is a my reflection on a currency devaluation. It is not meant to be a defense of or a rejection of a decision to devalue. Note also that this post is not political in nature. Just my thoughts.

Where a country operates a fixed exchange rate syatem like we do in Nigeria, devaluation as a monetary policy would involve reducing the value of the Naira with respect to those goods, services or other monetary units with which the naira can be exchanged. When we devalue our currency, we officially lower its value versus other currencies in a fixed exchange rate system that is the monetary authority (the CBN) formally sets a new fixed rate with respect to a foreign reference currency (in this case the dollar)

A devaluation means that the value of the Naira falls. Nigerians will find imports and foreign travel more expensive. However domestic exports will benefit from their exports becoming cheaper.

Herein lies the crux of the matter.

A weakened currency is only valuable if we EXPORT!

Advantages of devaluation

1. Exports become cheaper and more competitive to foreign buyers. This provides a boost for domestic demand and could lead to job creation in the export sector.
2. Higher level of exports should in theory lead to an improvement in the current account deficit. This is important if the country has a large current account deficit due to a lack of competitiveness.

3. Higher exports and aggregate demand (AD) can lead to higher rates of economic growth.

Disadvantages of devaluation

1. Is likely to cause inflation because:

Imports more expensive (any imported good or raw material will increase in price)

Aggregate Demand increases causing demand pull inflation.

Firms / exporters have less incentive to cut costs because they can rely on the devaluation to improve competitiveness. The concern is in the long-term devaluation may lead to lower productivity because of the decline in incentives.

2. Reduces the purchasing power of citizens abroad. e.g. more expensive to go on holiday abroad.

3. A large and rapid devaluation may scare off international investors. It makes investors less willing to hold government debt because it is effectively reducing the value of their holdings.

4. If consumers have debts, e.g. mortgages in foreign currency – after a devaluation they will see a sharp rise in the cost of their debt repayments. This occurred in Hungary when many had taken out a mortgage in foreign currency.

In summary devaluation of a currency is not a task to be taken lightly. If we stimulate exports properly then it MAY be beneficial in the long run. But just devaluing for the sake of having the dollar more readily available is a reckless economic endeavour.
In my opinion, your analysis is accepted. Nigeria has just been a country existing without a tangible means for long. Nothing to export and can't even produce much for her comfort. The system has never worked. Part of the reasons i wanted the country to be divided. Although, the country could benefit so much if together, there are no plans for development. In contest to the your comment, i do not support the devaluation of naira because it is not a long term plan for development. The only problem i have is that improving local production might not even work in 10 years time because of our leaders non challant attitude towards improved development. Maybe the so called change might be positive. if so, it is welcomed. The country might not really produce everything but shouldn't import everything. Even the imported goods were over priced and our pricing commission could not revert it because imported goods still incurs much expenses in terms of duties. We have been paying more for some substandard goods. If we devalue, things will be officially more expensive for an average Nigerian.If this country truely wants to change things for the future, local production should be encouraged, quality goods should be produced, our pricing system should live up to its role, by this, employment will be created for the growing population, we will be able to export some goods to atleast African countries and watching our goods being craved for from other continents. If the country truely wishes to grow o. If not, i will wish for Biafra the more.
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Stycon(m): 8:35am On Mar 25, 2016
That's the "The Economist" doing their job! ~ they never disappoint~ always throwing blows grin

Nigeria no doubt is in a very tight corner; there are many policy options but each with its loopholes. It is true that the current forex policy has lots of flaws and creates avenues for some illegal practices.

However, devaluation is not the best alternative policy direction that will solve the current dilemma.

There are certain conditions that must hold if devaluation will serve us right. Nigeria is far from satisfying these necessary conditions and as such devaluation will only end up worsening our deficit position, though it may seem appealing to foreign portfolio investors but trust me it is not the panacea!

What we need is a combination of different policies that will address the concerns of all the stakeholders and not just devaluation which may not serve the need of the domestic economy!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by parisbookaddict(f): 8:43am On Mar 25, 2016
As much as I disagree wiTh buhari on several of his actions eg silence on condemning the killings in the east(IPOB), in benue, the shias, etc and false claims on defeating BH, the growing fulani cattle herder problem, poor choice of ministerial nominees, ignoring court order to release kalu and the shia leader, the growing election malpractices and violence etc all problems growing under his watch...very disturbing precedences as well as some old problems.

However, he makes sense by refusing to devalue the naira. I agree with him on that. Venezuela has been devaluing theirs but it hasn't stopped the near collapse of their economy. He must stand firm against western interest that don't benefit us. Yes Nigeria is poorer by far now as a result of the years of ignoring other sources of export revenue, comatose manufacturing sector, corruption by past governments but he needs to send a clear massage that will not continue. What can he do to help the naira and economy pick up again. ??

1. Urge the senate to pass bills that will expedite seizing assets of corrupt individuals
2. Stop the alleged corruption in the CBN with regards to Forex sales
3. Dedicate huge FOREX to the 3 most important needs for nigerians , a.Manufacturers in Nigeria who need Forex for raw material ,
b. Students abroad c. Medical needs
4. Reform the courts
5. Hire investigators to determine how much of our public funds were taken abroad by the filthy political class
6.Focus on Ben Bruce's brilliant call to grow naira by buying nigerian products. This includes encouraging nigerian business and the federal government to first consider local sellers before foreign ones eg in procuring cars we have IVM, kia Nigeria, peugout etc,

He can do so much more than he is doing now, also he needs to spend more time in Nigeria and focus on putting his country in order.

3 Likes

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by maasoap(m): 8:44am On Mar 25, 2016
Right now, official rate is N199 to $1 and parallel market is N320 to $1. People are complaining of high prices of commodities.
My question is what happens to the prices of commodities if Mr president should agree to devaluation of naira to N500 to $1? But anyway, I get it, wailers must wail.
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by sweetgala(m): 8:45am On Mar 25, 2016
millionaireman:
According to Economist: In Buhsri's Nigeria, Milk getting scarce, Rice more expensive, Sugar scarce, I add, biscuits getting out of reach for children.

What do these suggest?

Are Nigerians going back to queue for Essential Commodities as was during Buhari the military dictator?

Forget the economist they are a PR extension of the IMF and world bank and would do anything to create sceptism in Nigeria. Devaluation would not do us any good, unfortunately it's also not a trial and error route, once you devalue it's a done deal.

We are not an exporting nation in terms of value added services to raw materials etc for us to benefit from it.

We are going through hard times and even Margaret Thatcher now loved in UK once denied school children milk cause the state couldn't afford it, how she went to war with the unions.

Nigerians have always been fooled by government patronage they don't know how to go through trying times

5 Likes

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by maasoap(m): 8:48am On Mar 25, 2016
parisbookaddict:
As much as I disagree wiTh buhari on several of his actions eg silence on condemning the killings in the east(IPOB), in benue, the shias, etc and false claims on defeating BH, the growing fulani cattle herder problem, poor choice of ministerial nominees, ignoring court order to release kalu and the shia leader, the growing election malpractices and violence etc all problems growing under his watch...very disturbing precedences as well as some old problems.

However, he makes sense by refusing to devalue the naira. I agree with him on that. Venezuela has been devaluing theirs but it hasn't stopped the near collapse of their economy. He must stand firm against western interest that don't benefit us. Yes Nigeria is poorer by far now as a result of the years of ignoring other sources of export revenue, comatose manufacturing sector, corruption by past governments but he needs to send a clear massage that will not continue. What can he do to help the naira and economy pick up again. ??

1. Urge the senate to pass bills that will expedite seizing assets of corrupt individuals
2. Stop the alleged corruption in the CBN with regards to Forex sales
3. Dedicate huge FOREX to the 3 most important needs for nigerians , a.Manufacturers in Nigeria who need Forex for raw material ,
b. Students abroad c. Medical needs
4. Reform the courts
5. Hire investigators to determine how much of our public funds were taken abroad by the filthy political class
6.Focus on Ben Bruce's brilliant call to grow naira by buying nigerian products. This includes encouraging nigerian business and the federal government to first consider local sellers before foreign ones eg in procuring cars we have IVM, kia Nigeria, peugout etc,

He can do so much more than he is doing now, also he needs to spend more time in Nigeria and focus on putting his country in order.
I don't think Mr president enjoys travelling for travelling sake at the age of 72 years. It must have been necessary and I believe that by second year in office, he would have traveled to all the important and necessary countries.

2 Likes

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by jamesbanjo(m): 8:59am On Mar 25, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Highvotage: 9:04am On Mar 25, 2016
engrsoma:
Someone must be somewhere giving him a bad advice, Even I an undergraduate don't know much about financial economics talk less of a man without certificate.

One thing I remember for economics in secondary school is comparative advantage, and then we had examples using groundnut etc, but Nigeria is a monoeconomy naa.

I don't know the kind of undergraduate you called yourself, you realized that Nigeria is a "mono economy" according to your post and you in your school was thought that it is good for such country to devalue their currency?
Haa! It is a pity.

3 Likes

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by Nobody: 9:36am On Mar 25, 2016
Firstly, it is important for African countries to know that foreign media are used as tools of neo colonialism and mounting pressure. Imf boss was here, we refused to devalue anf they choose to use media. Yes, things may not be right but its a matter of time. Nothing good can come out of the west and all they are concerned about is what they can get from you. This crisis is also affecting them because it has also reduced imports from their countries.

People supporting devaluation should go and read more on it. It only helps countries that have sth to export not countries that are heavily reliant on import.

1 Like

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by stevecantrell: 9:40am On Mar 25, 2016
ojuolu:
And you think the Economist with this TRASH is right? If we devalue our naira, what do we have to export apart from oil to justify this devaluation? Dear, don't be fooled by every nonsense these self serving neo colonists vomit out. A weaker naira with nothing to export apart from oil with falling price means we gonna import inflation into the country. IMF, World Bank, etc are agents of the imperial neo colonists.

Right !
Devaluation is simply telling the world and the investors of the world "Nigeria is Officially fuckd and ready to be fuckd some more."
Buhari has been in this game before and he is simply refusing to give these globalists and neo-cons the satisfaction.
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by obailala(m): 9:42am On Mar 25, 2016
monopoly3072:

my guy don't mislead pple wit ur analysis...consult ur elementary economics wella before putting up a write-up
There is nothing elementary about Nigerias economy and economics. No textbook explanation or theorem can explain the Nigerian situation, we need Nigerian economists who understand the Nigerian situation to sit down, brainstorm and formulate a model which can work in the current Nigerian situation.

Nigeria has devalued its currency countless times since 1985 to date, but it might interest you to note that devaluing has NEVER worked in the Nigerian situation and it only leads to higher inflation; the simple textbook benefits of devaluation has never been applicable in Nigeria since the last 30 years. This is just food for thought.

1 Like

Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by duni04(m): 9:55am On Mar 25, 2016
Dahveydson:
Listen to the economists at your own peril.

PMB refuses to devalue, if you like write a whole bible on it. A policy that is still in motion have been concluded not working already.

Sigh

We've had countless threads from intelligent Nigerians on here, and the conclusion have been devaluation is a no no.

Wailers and their likes said naira will go up to N500 to $1 if we don't devalue, we haven't devalued, and it's still N320 on the black market.

We will continue to hold the forte..

I SAY NO TO DEVALUATION
Bitter truth is that devaluation is the way to go now. Since we've already pushed all "non-essential" imports to the black market, the black market importers have already transferred the 60% differential between the official and unofficial market to the consumer. The inflation that we're trying to avoid with devaluation has already crept in by pushing everyone to the parallel market. Not devaluing is encouraging round tripping on a massive scale as people can buy at N199 from the CBN and sell at N320 on the parallel market, a 37% gain. The only people enjoying this non devaluation now are the round trippers not ordinary Nigerians. The cost of the unofficial devaluation has already been passed to ordinary Nigerians.
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by duni04(m): 10:03am On Mar 25, 2016
stevecantrell:

Right !
Devaluation is simply telling the world and the investors of the world "Nigeria is Officially fuckd and ready to be fuckd some more."
Buhari has been in this game before and he is simply refusing to give these globalists and neo-cons the satisfaction.
Not true. If we devalue, foreign portfolio investors will stop selling their equities enmass like they're doing now. As things stand now, any entrant into the Nigerian investment space will purchase Naira at maybe N220 to a dollar. If he wants to take his profits out of Nigeria, the CBN will sell to him at N199 to a dollar, a loss of 10.5%. No sensible investor will make that kind of loss. As it stands now the only people gaining from devaluation are the round trippers. Nobody else is gaining!
Re: The Economist-How To Make A Hard Currency Crisis Worse By Buhari by uridadole: 10:04am On Mar 25, 2016
ellechrystal:

Am not in support of devaluing d naira man.
Like I rightly stated, his policies r killing the economy, thank yoi
His polices are not killing the economy. The economy was already dying with drastically falling oil price, a monoproduct, before he came on board.
Intention was outright ban of frivolous imports but for WTO treaties. The only way to discourage massive imports and look inward to help our selves is to discourage forex manipulation. Official rate is to help in imports of essential factors. Roundtripping is the only fear in this policy. Farmers are now willing to expand with govt support. The pressure is not going to last in my opinion.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

President Buhari Meets CAN Members At The State House, Abuja / Buhari Confirms Folasade Yemi-Esan As Head Of Civil Service (Pic) / 2023: Presidency Will Elude Ndigbo – Primate Ayodele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.