Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,783 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? (21665 Views)

I Caught My Boss Pants Down With The Organization's Secretary / Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? / I Got This For Asking My Boss My February Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by ajayiopy: 3:45pm On Mar 25, 2016
My office is just like political secretariat and am still able to manage all the critics, my secret is God ,I am not afraid, always positive minded , have open mind to receive constructive criticisms, read books on people management and emotional intelligence. 48 laws of power is the book to read . finally present your accuser before God even as you live a holy life

2 Likes

Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by evansjeff(m): 3:48pm On Mar 25, 2016
IYADARA:
I have been enduring all manners of insult from my boss for over 2years now... But this time around, I don't think I can stand it any more

Just yesterday, he said to me *you are not adding any value to my firm* hummmmm I am seriously lost and confuse right now

I don't want to wait till he sacks me, I have no plan *b* and am thinking of dropping my resignation letter before he sacks me.

Please I need sincere advise on what to do,... If u have ever been there, what did u do?

I will appreciate ur response

Thanks........
had a similar issue just last year, though my case was that I was always rebuking the management for wrong policies and command, for example having an nce holder earning more than a bsc holder, it was a missionary establishment so their parishioners were seen as saints and all others sinners and so on, though I was highly valued for so many reasons. I resigned immediately I got the feelings of imminent sack but I had a plan anyway cos I already applied for my masters program, long story short...sack them before they sack you.

2 Likes

Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by IAmTobore(m): 3:48pm On Mar 25, 2016
IYADARA:
I have been enduring all manners of insult from my boss for over 2years now... But this time around, I don't think I can stand it any more

Just yesterday, he said to me *you are not adding any value to my firm* hummmmm I am seriously lost and confuse right now

I don't want to wait till he sacks me, I have no plan *b* and am thinking of dropping my resignation letter before he sacks me.

Please I need sincere advise on what to do,... If u have ever been there, what did u do?

Thanks........
YOU ARE A WORKER! NOT A SLAVE!
Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Mar 25, 2016
marsoden:

Can you work under that circumstance where you are blamed for what you did and what you didn't do, even for faults that he the boss caused?
the story is becoming clearer.
Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by nonjebose(m): 3:50pm On Mar 25, 2016
I am a boss myself, and I know what it means when a staff is lagging behind in her duties. Good enough you know what the problem is. Due diligence in going through the work to discover any mistake made by the boss or any other staff is important. Your boss sees you as the final proof reader. It does not matter who made the error as long as you print without detecting. This pressure will serve you well later in life

1 Like

Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by GboyegaD(m): 3:52pm On Mar 25, 2016
Is it a one man firm or a company owned by shareholders? If it is the latter, take the issue of abuse up with HR. They should be able to sort things out provided you meet the company's expectations for your job.
Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by IYADARA(f): 3:55pm On Mar 25, 2016
Revolva:
U n ur oga na fool
do u have a life at all?

1 Like

Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by Pinkieblue(f): 3:59pm On Mar 25, 2016
IYADARA:

I am an architect ...he blames me for every little mistakes in all designs, even the one he commits, he will always ask me why I wud print designs with mistake, adesigns that someone else worked on, anytime he tells me to print and he sees mistake, the blame my brother still comes to me..... I am always the bad person,...... When client complains, even without asking who worked on the design, he assumes I am responsible,.......

He finds every little opportunity to insult me..... He makes me feel the salary he is paying me isn't worth my productivity.....

With what u just wrote here there is no need to sit down with ur boss to discuss anything....

What u should do now is improve on all these complains that come from ur boss....

The first step u should take is to make sure there is no mistake in what ever work u are handling either the one u worked on urself or the one ur boss worked on (trust me every boss will appreciate u when u give them an excellent job because it saves them a lot of stress and headache.... they employed u so that u can handle office responsibility)

Secondly.... make sure u say apologise anytime he spots a mistake.... it won't cost u anything to say I am sorry sir/ma

Thirdly always make sure u do your work quickly and accurately.... always take into account of everything he tells u to do

And finally at the moment there is no work in nigeria..... so try to improve on all ur flaws in the office and see if u have impressed your boss.... before u quit

I am not saying it's your fault..... but the fact is sometimes we are the architects of our problems

2 Likes

Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by GboyegaD(m): 4:00pm On Mar 25, 2016
Drabeey:

There is no place that doesnt happen. At times it is a call to do better.

You mist not uit, if you do, that shows how much u can handle pressure. If you cant handle your boss now, how can u handle stubborn customers even if you open your own firm? Hmmm
Okay, maybe you want yo go into a new work, what about your new boss, do u know how wicked he might be too?

Obviosly, you need to learn how to live with saddist bad people and what have you.

It will help u in life.
Dont leave your job, persevere. You will enjoy it later.

Disrespecting subordinates is not part of the job function of a leader thus, there is a great need to purge our mind that our bosses are gods.
Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by bencobenz(m): 4:00pm On Mar 25, 2016
yungbeef:
this happened to me 3weeks ago. mine is I received insults for a year, I was one of the longest serving staff as I endured the most insults; and when I mean insults I mean degrading insults that reduces your self esteem. salaries are also cut arbitrarily without reason and explanation. I can vividly remember one where my boss said if I didn't book her ticket right she will kill me. I left 3weeks ago without a PLAN B and my life has been bliss. determination will get me another place soonest but sometimes some MD will frustrate you and if you continue enduring without setting your own "red line" then you will be treated worse than a dog. my MD was abusing me her usual way and I just walked out and went home. period. sent my resignation letter the next day. not easy since then as I am still applying, but it is WORTH WORTH it.

Spot on!

I am not there yet, but if I can get this far, I'll surely get there! Sometimes we allowed bosses to bring down our self esteem. Two places I've worked and the MD will abuse me as if they are doing me a favour by allowing me to work for them. In fact the last one will talk to you as if you are not human, he does that to everyone but the day he tried that with me, I let him realized I was living before I joined his firm and will continue to survive when I leave his company. The following day I dropped my resignation letter, no plan B! He was shocked cos he never expected that decision from me. A week after I resigned from my first job, I got another one that pays 4times what I was earning there. Most times, another door may not open if the existing one does not close. The economy is bad no doubt, but for how long will you allow yourself to be downgraded before you do the right thing? If you feel the heat is getting too much, then get out of the kitchen!

4 Likes

Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by sunnyeinstein(m): 4:06pm On Mar 25, 2016
sonssyo:

can u run a microbial test and culture? can u be a pioneer microbiologist in our lab, capable of recommending all d required equipment and handling it.if yes den pm me

I am but i'd recommend someone who is also good and he's got a researcher's mind, let adioolayi contact you if you won't mind to discuss it. I told him already. What say you sir?
Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by GboyegaD(m): 4:07pm On Mar 25, 2016
IYADARA:

I am an architect ...he blames me for every little mistakes in all designs, even the one he commits, he will always ask me why I wud print designs with mistake, adesigns that someone else worked on, anytime he tells me to print and he sees mistake, the blame my brother still comes to me..... I am always the bad person,...... When client complains, even without asking who worked on the design, he assumes I am responsible,.......

He finds every little opportunity to insult me..... He makes me feel the salary he is paying me isn't worth my productivity.....

If this is the case, you might want to be a little more proactive to see if there are very obvious mistakes in designs before you print them. Also, try have a chat with him to let him understand he cannot be blaming you for dinner other architect's mistakes provided you are not their tram lead our supervisor.
Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by Shos19(m): 4:12pm On Mar 25, 2016
Pls just endure!!!!!! Do u knw ΨђåƮ d other work u wld have will offer? Just endure. Tough period doesn't last, only Tough pple do.

1 Like

Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by bakingsoda: 4:17pm On Mar 25, 2016
You have endured the insults for TWO YEARS. You are either very thick-skinned or you must have lost all your self-esteem by now. It is better to work late, take on difficult assignments, than to be insulted by a boss.

I would advise you resign, but not now, because I doubt you would still have any self confidence to get a new job or start your own business at the moment - not after two years of insult. ( and you don't even have a plan b, which would not have been necessary; but it seems important to you).

For now, try discover yourself, ask yourself questions, find answers, develop yourself in the areas your boss complains of most, make sure you are confident, then you can move on.

But you try sha o. TWO YEARS OF INSULT!! shocked
Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by princehilly: 4:19pm On Mar 25, 2016
undecided My Advice...I will suggest, you hang on. All ur boss wants is an Upgrade..n daz wat life is all about..neva give up besides, from wat u said, he comments on ur mistakes n blame u for d mistakes of others daz because he wants d best out of u...so perfect in ur profession to become an expertriate.(Watch "Drumline"wink

1 Like

Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by whyman(m): 4:37pm On Mar 25, 2016
Please, do a self and work analysis. It would help a lot. If you are suffering psychologically it is not worth it but if not leave.
I worked in a company for about 1 yr and then the MD started abusing me, even for a fault not my own, he will pay others but don't pay me. I will sit down at home and if they need me will call me and ask why I was at home. I'll tell the secretary that I don't have money for trans sport, he will pay and I will return, but after the third time I put in my resignation since I know my worth, being poor doesn't mean I don't have dignity or self esteem. After two month, he called me to come and receive my pay and gave me one of the used laptop. Though there are other he owed up to 5 months and do come to work without pay. I got another job after 3 months but he do call me for PP from which I got more money.

What's important is your self esteem, always keep your head straight and stand tall

Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by Jamexjulius(m): 4:39pm On Mar 25, 2016
IYADARA:

Thanks........
Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by Chiderad(m): 4:47pm On Mar 25, 2016
Don't resign yet.

Look for an online forum where architects hang out and post questions related to your field and let the experts advise
you on what to do.

Moreso, always do your own home work. Be sure you know your onions.

You've got to be bold and the only way boldness can come is when you are really grounded on the job and therefrom your boss
begins to see you as a strong addition to the team.

Don't exercise any fear whatsoever regardless whenever you are in his presence. He's a human being.

Go the extra mile. Is there anything you think your boss is not infusing into his work that you can learn quickly and become the Go-To
guy? Then, learn it sharp, sharp[b][/b].

Wish you all the best.

Regards.

1 Like

Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by mildflame: 4:59pm On Mar 25, 2016
IYADARA:

Thanks........

NEVER YOU RESIGN n NEVER YOU LET HIM TALK U DOWN or PUT UNNECESSARY BLAME ON YOU.... Let him FIRE U for holding to ur DIGNITY
Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by seaga: 5:02pm On Mar 25, 2016
IYADARA:

Well you can't rule out the possibility, he is attracted to you, sexually
Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by aoshi: 5:07pm On Mar 25, 2016
IYADARA:

honestly speaking, I rarely comment on nairaland but after reading this quoted post I can make out that
1.) your boss admires your work and will of course look for ways to run you down so as not to ''burst your head" hence he criticises you for mistakes not from your end.
2.) he wants to deflate you so you dare not question his decisions.( one-man business mentality)
I would suggest you endure, learn and of course have an escape strategy.
cheers
Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by David4best(m): 5:16pm On Mar 25, 2016
I experienced something worse than this in Edo State Civil Service(ministry of transport) by a retired Military man named Major Oloye whom governor Adams Oshiomole illegally installed as a permanent secretary(a position met 4 level 15/16 & a master or ph.d holder in civil service), where I was working as a level 8 step 3 for 3yr in d civil service. Within two months d man was posted to our ministry, he forced us out of d office to be controlling traffic on d road from 8am-4pm daily. No shifting or resting. I was issued two queries & one warning in a week(one for putting hands in my pocked which was not true, second for leaving my duty post to urinate & eat, & warning 4 no reason). At times, d man will issue 12 or 8 people queries per day for no genuine reason. I escaped accident twice at ring road when I was controlling traffic. I applied to get d job as Higher Technical Officer, not traffic control. I am a Mechanical Engineer. I got d job as a graduate, but d man & his aids said they have no regard 4 graduates since many graduates in Nigeria are without job or receiving peanut(10 -15k per month). D man employed two agbero(motor park tauts) to head us in controlling traffic. I tendered my letter of resignation after receiving my salary 4 that month(November 2015) without plan B. I have rest of mind now.

2 Likes

Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Mar 25, 2016
see, all you guys saying endure is admirable. I endured for a long while until I realised enduring opens doors for more insults. It exposes you in ways that are demeaning and gives you a personality of a peasant. during the period of my enduring, I was made to come to work on sat and sometimes on sun. officially 6pm is the closing time, but I can never remember the time I closed lower than 9pm and I stay in ejigbo all the way from VI. I was abused like a child with no future and even started doing some things that were not related to my job description like picking up my MD food, paying her utilities bill...... all because of endurance and I want to keep my job. see, there is a red line... let them know once its passed you out of the door. if not, when they see how important you need this job and can't survive without it, you will be treated worse than a slave.
I don't need to also tell you how it affected my relationship with people and the psychological damage I encountered. still recuperating tho.
Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by adex4u2000(m): 5:45pm On Mar 25, 2016
If U̶̲̥̅̊я plan "B" Iڪ ΘºƙªƔ Ƒσя Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̲̅ pls go ahead with U̶̲̥̅̊я plan. God will help us.
Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by callmeJOY(f): 5:59pm On Mar 25, 2016
sonssyo:

wetin u study for school, if na microbiology pm me
I'm a graduate of microbiology
Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by Sammyramires(m): 6:02pm On Mar 25, 2016
I read this with a keen interest and at the same time with some level of sadness... Same thing the OP opined about her work in the hands of saddist called MD and GM is what I'm presently experiencing in the hands of my Bosses. They have reduced me to rags, and I need not to be told that working with them has reduced my communication prowess and confidence. I work from Monday to Monday with few hours of rest. There was never a time blame will not be apportioned. When he calls, you'd immediately develop a secondary hypertension because of the level of fear they have planted in us.

My co-worker once told me that 7 persons has managed my position in One year before my arrival. There was even one that never collected his First salary before resignation. I only have this month to spend with them and that makes it my 3rd Month of assumption of Office.

I am convinced of my potentials and I can no longer sacrifice my future for monthly salary.

#Some Bosses are mistakes

2 Likes

Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by wxyz1: 6:06pm On Mar 25, 2016
what did you do that lead to the insult
Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by adetola77(m): 6:13pm On Mar 25, 2016
sonssyo:

wetin u study for school, if na microbiology pm me
I sturdy microbiology pls can u help me.
Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by Princewell2012(m): 6:18pm On Mar 25, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

Now I will advise you on some things!!

1) Verify before printing: if after he designs and ask you to print, lookout for mistakes and don't be scared to notify him, even though you might be wrong @ times, don't be scared to point out possible mistakes!!

2) Stand your ground: if accidentally, an error occurs, and it is not ur fault, don't be scared to tell him in the face...."I am not responsible for that mistake"!!

3) Never be a "Yes sir" person!!

Constructively criticize every design, drawing and so on and so forth!!

It will make him see you in another light!!

NB: all these earned me the little thing I am today!!

Never be scared! Let the worse happen!!

I concour with you sir, you must be an Intelligent person.
Atleast i have been going trough your comments.

Mmmmm, you see, working as an architect, it is a job that needs a very good consetration, designing work is a very fragile one, any little mistake you makes, renders the whole work useless.

This man might be lossen a lots of money because of those error, and there is no way he will be happy with you.

She should crosschecked everything severally in other to avoid mistake before printing, in these way her boss will see another person in her.

Thank you so much.
Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by AfroKnight: 6:24pm On Mar 25, 2016
IYADARA:

An architect saying she doesn't have plan B? That's strange. Madam, you architects are of the few professionals who always have opportunities. Surely, you must be getting small small pp. You can start a business from that.

Creative minds should not work in hostile environments. It is counter productive. I know some architects who have ventured into other branches of art and design and they are always bringing fresh ideas which in turn bring money. It's a hustle though, but it is worth it.
Re: Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Mar 25, 2016
I haven't watched Drumline but if it's more apt than "Whiplash", I might have to give it a try. I rarely watch movies but I just watched Whiplash this afternoon and it was so so in line with this thread.

princehilly:
undecided My Advice...I will suggest, you hang on. All ur boss wants is an Upgrade..n daz wat life is all about..neva give up besides, from wat u said, he comments on ur mistakes n blame u for d mistakes of others daz because he wants d best out of u...so perfect in ur profession to become an expertriate.(Watch "Drumline"wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Supervisor Uses Juju On Our Boss / Maritime Workers Threaten Strike Over Arrest Of 20 Dockworkers In Rivers / Pall Bearers: How ‘Fearless’ Men Are Making Brisk Business From The Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.