Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,724 members, 7,813,395 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:46 AM

Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society (3460 Views)

Nigerians React To Martin Onovo's Interview On Channels Today - Video / Inspector General Of Police Declares Christmas Crime-Free / Jonathan Assures Of Stable Power Supply Mid 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by blacksta(m): 5:54am On Jul 25, 2009
ACTING Inspector General of Police, Ogbonna Onovo, has assured Nigerians of his commitment to a crime-free society and urged them to pray for him to achieve this feat.

Speaking at the force headquarters on Friday during the handing and talking over ceremony from his predecessor, Mike Okiro, Onovo said that the support of his officers and men, over the years, had been overwhelming and that the confidence Nigerians reposed in him will not be in vain.

Onovo commended his predecessor for his leadership style and pledged to continue from where he stopped in fighting crime.

“Tell Nigerians that I will not disappoint them or fail them. I thank the president immensely for the confidence reposed in me by this appointment and I will not disappoint him and Nigerians,” he said

http://www.tribune.com.ng/25072009/news/news12.html
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by blacksta(m): 5:54am On Jul 25, 2009
One point I danger.
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by sley4life(m): 6:36am On Jul 25, 2009
thats how they start. They make empty promises. Lets see where this will lead us to
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by blacksta(m): 6:42am On Jul 25, 2009
Crime free society   where you have mass poverty, no schools, no jobs  the list is just endless- he better take yar adua' s job
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by puskin: 9:15am On Jul 25, 2009
So many IG's have made that comment.
Am waiting
4 a more realistic one.
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by Recognise: 10:04am On Jul 25, 2009
[size=16pt]Yar’adua appoints Onovo IGP [/size]

DIG Ogbonna Onovo
Deputy Inspector General of Police Mr. Ogbonaya Onovo will today take over as the Acting Inspector General of Police, following his appointment by President Umaru Yar’adua.

Onovo, 56, will hold the position in acting capacity pending the confirmation of his appointment by the Nigeria Police Council.

He will take over from Mr. Mike Okiro, who retires today after attaining 60 years mandatory retirement age.

Onovo’s appointment was announced in a statement last night by the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the President, Mr. Olusegun Adeniyi.

Born in Enugu, Enugu State on February 7, 1953, Onovo graduated from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in 1976 with a Bsc. Degree in Political Science and began his career as an Assistant Superintendent of Police on August 1, 1977.

He rose through the ranks to become a Deputy Inspector General of Police on March 14, 2002 and has held several career positions in the Police.

Onovo was also the Chairman/CEO of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) between 1998 and 2000.

The retiring Okiro, who was the 13th indigenous Inspector General of Police, was appointed on June 1, 2007 and enlisted into the force on August 1, 1977

for SOURCE: Click here
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by oladayo042: 10:21am On Jul 25, 2009
blacksta:

ACTING Inspector General of Police, Ogbonna Onovo, has assured Nigerians of his commitment to a crime-free society and urged them to pray for him to achieve this feat.

Speaking at the force headquarters on Friday during the handing and talking over ceremony from his predecessor, Mike Okiro, Onovo said that the support of his officers and men, over the years, had been overwhelming and that the confidence Nigerians reposed in him will not be in vain.

Onovo commended his predecessor for his leadership style and pledged to continue from where he stopped in fighting crime.

“Tell Nigerians that I will not disappoint them or fail them. I thank the president immensely for the confidence reposed in me by this appointment and I will not disappoint him and Nigerians,” he said

http://www.tribune.com.ng/25072009/news/news12.html

LOL grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by SamMilla1(m): 10:28am On Jul 25, 2009
ACTING? I thought he is the IG now
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by Akanniade(m): 11:49am On Jul 25, 2009
Sam Milla:

ACTING? I thought he is the IG now

Yes pending oath of personal allegiance to Y'dua et al
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by banom(m): 12:56pm On Jul 25, 2009
A crime free society in Nigeria is a nightmare, though i believe it is a political statement.
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by Izunwa(m): 1:40pm On Jul 25, 2009
Ehee! Robbers, kidnappers, yahoo guys una don hear am, A new Sherriff is in town. E no go easy o.
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by dinggle: 2:08pm On Jul 25, 2009
na today?, this wan don come again abeg make dem check all the failed banks, cos its no new thing that police officers are now contractors. Yeye man, wetin e wan take ensure crime free society abi na the half back police men wen the only language dem dey hear for road block na N20 naira

To ensure a crime free society the naija police force needs to be completely overhauled, minimum requirement to join police force should be upgraded to OND, we cant have graduates roaming the street and primary 6 holders will be in the force. State policing must be encourage so that lagos can set the pace and other states can come and learn from the ideas of fashola, highest ranking police officer in the state should be a democratic appointment and select by the vote of the people in the community and not by the president or IG who are so far away and dont even know the happenings of the community. So that anyone with good ideas on how to perfect the police force and solve crime can come on board and be voted in. As done in U.S.A!
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by macIB(m): 2:12pm On Jul 25, 2009
Simply put, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE
and in nigeria with this statement, CRIME WILL ESCALATE committed both by policemen and robbers.
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by dominique(f): 2:29pm On Jul 25, 2009
the man looks even more sinister than okiro IMO undecided tongue. i dont know much about him, but i dont think he's the one to eliminate crime. if anything he's prolly going to escalate it.
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by Tudor6(f): 2:33pm On Jul 25, 2009
Fast forward a few years and we'll be discussing this old fool and the bags of cash found in his office. . . .sad but inevitable. . .
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by Tudor6(f): 2:34pm On Jul 25, 2009
Fast forward a few years and we'll be discussing this old fool and the bags of cash found in his office. . . .sad but inevitable. . .
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by Marlboro1: 3:48pm On Jul 25, 2009
Talk is cheap. Haven't we heard these rhetorics from alll his predecessors before? And haven't we continued to get worse as a society fighting crimes while just about every single former IG of P become multi-millionaire while in office and after leaving office?

Make we hear something, jare!
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by remoranger(m): 3:55pm On Jul 25, 2009
Have heard this tune before. It gets really old
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jul 25, 2009
dinggle:

na today?, this wan don come again abeg make dem check all the failed banks, cos its no new thing that police officers are now contractors. Yeye man, wetin e wan take ensure crime free society abi na the half back police men wen the only language dem dey hear for road block na N20 naira

sorry but the rates have gone up. Traffic stopping fare goes for a minimum of N50 where i am, and thats just for tokunbo vehicles. The higher the vehicle specs the more money you drop.

Can you imagine after giving one N50 he started grumbling that i wasnt reflecting the car i was driving. He even tried to delay me, but i quickly took off.

Tudór:

Can't help but to agree.
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 25, 2009
the man looks even more sinister than okiro IMO

gbam.

However, if he says he'll deliver a crime free society, then I'll assume he has the means and "connections" to make it happen.

So we'll wait and see.
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by Recognise: 5:41pm On Jul 25, 2009
Tudór:

Fast forward a few years

and we'll be discussing this old fool and the bags of cash found in his office . . .

Sad but inevitable . . .

@Tudór

- Tudór

If not that . . .

hopefully not about a 5 figure millions of naira loan his wife took and not repaying

which contributed to the collapse of the bank . . . smiley
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by McKren(m): 5:53pm On Jul 25, 2009
Nigerian journalist need to learn gramma

did he pledge a crime free society or assure of one?

no country has achieved that yet, Nigeria may be first.
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jul 25, 2009
I doubt any criticism of him will be tolerated.

Neither will his detractors be allowed free rein, like with other politicians. No free airtime for amebo journalists.

get with the game, people.

That's showbiz.
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by AloyEmeka9: 6:17pm On Jul 25, 2009
It's an unfair statement to say another human being looks sinister. If such statement came from a white person, you guys will call him racist.

has a striking resemblance with late Dr Michael Okpara
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by Recognise: 6:28pm On Jul 25, 2009
McKren:

Nigerian journalist need to learn gramma

did he pledge a crime free society or assure of one?

no country has achieved that yet, Nigeria may be first.

Original post:

Onovo commended his predecessor for his leadership style a[b]nd pledged to continue from where he stopped in fighting crime.[/b]

@McKren

- McKren

Where in the above excerpt did he pledge a crime free society?

He pledged to continue from where his predecessor stopped fighting crime

Yeah right, grin from where his predecessor stopped

and turned a blind eye after his wife absconded with the bank's millions of naira grin

. . . and by the way McKren, you too need to concentrate on your spellings

or use spell check to pick up "gramma" . . .
Joke wink
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by redsun(m): 7:29pm On Jul 25, 2009
Yeye man,how is he going to do it as the head of one of the most corrupt,barbaric and ruthless institution in nigeria?They are nothing short of brazilian death police squad.
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by cabali(m): 8:19pm On Jul 25, 2009
Dont they all promise crime-free society?

Lets see how this one will fail
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by redsun(m): 8:27pm On Jul 25, 2009
Crime free my black yansh,when the supose institutions are the criminals,from the presidency to even yellow fiver(traffic wardens)
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by Remii(m): 8:31pm On Jul 25, 2009
According to Zebrudaya Okorigbogro alias 4:30,  the only person that can promise to stop all crimes is the man who would confirm that he is the Chairman of the criminals and that they held a meeting where agree to stop crimes. any other person in just ranting.
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by walakolobo: 8:38pm On Jul 25, 2009
The IG has promised more armed robbery in the country, more crimes, more rapes, more 419, more yahoo, yahoo, in fact, he has promised more police brutality.

Does the above statement sound better than the one made by Mr Onovo? you fools.
Re: Onovo Assures Of Crime-free Society by redsun(m): 8:45pm On Jul 25, 2009
Can anything good come out of nazareth?Only a stupid person puts a new wine into old wineskin.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

El Rufai Says Buhari Is Perpetually Unelectable / Fg To Build Petro-chemical Plant In Anambra / Njc Probe: How Salami, Acn Chieftains Exchanged Calls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.