Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,040 members, 7,818,085 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:22 AM

Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. - Computers (246) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (1268841 Views)

22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) ... (1222) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by wolebaba(m): 4:54pm On Jan 12, 2013
Lisamscott: Hi thanks so much for your help I have my computer working now thanks
But now have another problem I have got a new camera and my file format is nef but I need jpeg to see my photoe how do I
Change them from nef files to jpeg
Thanks lisa

There are 2 things U can do:

-Get a file format converter. I have one I can spare if U r in Lag. I have also researched a free software that can do same. You can download it here: http://www.neftojpg.com/
- get a photo viewer that can view that file format.I think Win 7 & 8 can view the format by default.

Regards,
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by wolebaba(m): 5:02pm On Jan 12, 2013
deji2009:

@wolebaba welldone for your continuous professionalism.
I read all your posts with delights here in England.

Oga Deji......my head don dey swell!!!!thanx

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jan 12, 2013
wolebaba:

As always I recommend a paid software. This gives U much more options and functionality. That's not to say that d free AV is not gud enuf. U also need to know that no AV will give U a 100% protection. So you best protection against virus is U.

It is all abt the way U use the computer. Be careful wit wat sites U go to and wat drives U allow to be used on it.

Plz buy any of the following that I have used and trusted over the years:

- BitDefender
- Kaspersky
- Norton
- Avira(free but U need to keep it regularly updated)

If you take my advice I can bet U will never have a virus issue anymore.
thank you sir your advice have been noted.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by great063(m): 12:36am On Jan 13, 2013
My laptop HP dv6 pavilion becomes pretty slow few minutes after log on.What could be the problem?I will be immensely grateful if you can help me solve this problem.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by wolebaba(m): 3:00am On Jan 13, 2013
great063: My laptop HP dv6 pavilion becomes pretty slow few minutes after log on.What could be the problem?I will be immensely grateful if you can help me solve this problem.

Various reasons could be the cause:

- low RAM (wat is the size of the RAM)
- Virus (do you have an AV installed, if yes; wat type and is it updated regularly?)
- Too many applications or quite "heavy" apps running).how many apps are installed, and determine if there are those of them that can take up a significant part of your system resources.
- Low Hard Disk space.

We need to ascertain which of the options is really the issue, b4 a solution can be proffered.
Provide the above answers and the cause of the wahala will be made manifest.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by onyekabe(m): 9:52am On Jan 13, 2013
Why have all my files
become Windows
Media Player
shortcuts?:
When I open a file, it
opens Windows Media
Player. I don’t know
what happened.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 11:01am On Jan 13, 2013
great063: My laptop HP dv6 pavilion becomes pretty slow few minutes after log on.What could be the problem?I will be immensely grateful if you can help me solve this problem.

Citation

Help yourself at http://www.stayupdate.com/tips-tricks/32-useful-tips-to-improve-laptop-performance/167

The above is not my own work.

What your ram memeory size
start, computer system properties and
check e.g. 2 gb or 3gb

do you have norton installed ?

how many antivirus do you have installed ?

has the laptop fan been cleaned before ?

is it nvidia grahics type.

on system properties is it service pakc 1 or 2

Run a atest

Plug the AC Adapter into the computer if it is not already connected.
Turn off the computer and wait 5 seconds.
Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press
the F10 key to enter the BIOS Setup menu.
Use the Right Arrow or Left Arrow keys to navigate
through the menu selection to find the Primary Hard Drive
Self Test option. Depending on your BIOS, this may be found below Diagnostics or Tools .
Select Primary Hard Drive Self Test , and then press the Enter key to start the test.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 11:05am On Jan 13, 2013
onyekabe: Why have all my files
become Windows
Media Player
shortcuts?:
When I open a file, it
opens Windows Media
Player. I don’t know
what happened.

wolebaba could u please assist this user
with your previous fixes with Emzybrown
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by onyekabe(m): 12:43pm On Jan 13, 2013
onyekabe: Why have all my files
become Windows
Media Player
shortcuts?:
When I open a file, it
opens Windows Media
Player. I don’t know
what happened.
I willBe grateful to get help on how to fix this problem
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 9:59pm On Jan 13, 2013
onyekabe: I willBe grateful to get help on how to fix this problem

Since you did not mentioned your laptop make and model i.e.,
dell 1545 windows vista. go to google and find out how to
change your file extension on your laptop. for example if
your .doc file is been opned by windows media player
change it from.wma .mp4 .mp3 to .doc and see what happens
try this first with anything that is not important just
to see if it works if it does then you can try it for others

Yes you could be infected. If you didn't change things something did.
Here is a couple of things you could do.
Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes
Anti-Malware is a
free download that removes
viruses and
malware from your computer

These will scan and look for
bad things. They are both free.
Update before scanning.

Is the data on a memory stick or
on your comp...if on your compu...
you can do system restore to
put it back to a time it works
use google to findout how to system restore
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Debokan: 9:04am On Jan 14, 2013
Debokan: Good day guys. I have a Toshiba e-STUDIO 151 photocopier. I've searched online for the driver so I can use it as a scanner/printer also but cant find any reliable one. I'll be very grateful if someone helps me out here. Thanks.
wolebaba:
Have U searched the Toshiba website? I am not a Toshiba fan because of their lack of proper service centre. Well I will look it out for you in the morning.

What OS are you using?
deji2009:

A good question was just asked by wolebaba
and also please provide the answer to the below.
I take it that you're installing
from http://business.toshiba.com/support/index.jsp

OS type XP/Vista/windows 7/Linux
Browser type chome/firefox/explorer
Printer most likely 10yrs old ?

Connection type USB cable ?
Apart from toshiba website, which
other site have you tried ?

It maybe you're using Win 7 and
the drivers you downloaded is
not compatible with the printer.
Have you tried running the printer
drivers in compatible mode

You might have to install xp virtual
mode/machine from microsoft website and
then you can use it conecting it with xp virtural mode
and install the drivers just before connectin it is
always a good idea.

Good night

Thanks for offering to help out.

I use both Windows 7 and XP, on different systems sha.
Browser type = Chrome
Printer most likely 10yrs old? = Yes
Connection type USB cable? = Yes

I've searched Toshiba website but couldn't find anything useful. I've checked other sites, the one I downloaded that looks like it did not work. I even checked Yahoo downloads, nothing!
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 9:33am On Jan 14, 2013
Debokan:

Thanks for offering to help out.

I use both Windows 7 and XP, on different systems sha.
Browser type = Chrome
Printer most likely 10yrs old? = Yes
Connection type USB cable? = Yes

I've searched Toshiba website but couldn't find anything useful. I've checked other sites, the one I downloaded that looks like it did not work. I even checked Yahoo downloads, nothing!

32 bit or 64 Win 7 pls check for us

Run the Program Compatibility Wizard

Open the Program Compatibility Wizard by clicking the Start button ,
clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking
Use an older program with this version of Windows.

Follow the instructions in the wizard.

If you cannot install a program, insert the installation disc for
the program and, using the wizard, browse to the program's setup
file, usually called Setup.exe, Install.exe, or something similar.
The wizard is not designed to work on programs that have an .msi file name extension.

To change compatibility settings manually for a program, right-click the ico

n for the program, click Properties, and then click the Compatibility tab.

I also recommend that you contact the maker of that software
program and inquire about future support for Windows 7.

why cant you just time by installing on your xp rather than WIN 7 since this
printer is 10yrs old i doubts it would work by give it a go
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Vijon(m): 12:20pm On Jan 14, 2013
plz wht could be d prob wit my keyboard,i find out dat a button wil stop workin well and afta sometime becomes normal while anoda one starts mal-functioning.
xterday it was d G buton,2day its d numba 6 button.i need ur help
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by 3RNEST(m): 12:28pm On Jan 14, 2013
Vijon: plz wht could be d prob wit my keyboard,i find out dat a button wil stop workin well and afta sometime becomes normal while anoda one starts mal-functioning.
xterday it was d G buton,2day its d numba 6 button.i need ur help
i have xperience such problem with a friend TOSHIBA laptop, guy i advice dat guy to buy another keyboard! so i conclude that the keyboard is suffering for keymalaria,...lol. grin grin
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jan 14, 2013
my lappy wont boot. I am aware ite the processor. Need to know where i can get new one and price range in lagos. Its amd Turion X2.. Thinking of upgrading to a paster processor that would reach 2.5ghz. Any sugesstions?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by wolebaba(m): 10:07pm On Jan 14, 2013
andante: my lappy wont boot. I am aware ite the processor. Need to know where i can get new one and price range in lagos. Its amd Turion X2.. Thinking of upgrading to a paster processor that would reach 2.5ghz. Any sugesstions?

How did you dat its d processor causing it not to boot.

There are many reason y a PC won't boot.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Akell(m): 10:09pm On Jan 14, 2013
Hello peeps, pls i need to knw the function of the sim card slot on my Dell Inspiron 1525. What is the use of a sim card on a laptop device? Thanx for ur swift response
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by utchken(m): 10:56pm On Jan 14, 2013
how can i get an IDM with crack
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jan 14, 2013
@wolebaba and deji,is there any app or software that can be use to increase lappy battery time,my compaq battery last for 1hour.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 2:19am On Jan 15, 2013
Emzybrown: @wolebaba and deji,is there any app or software that can be use to increase lappy battery time,my compaq battery last for 1hour.

No Laptop battery is
designed to last longer.
its all marketing gimmicks.
Its purely how you use it.
make sure there's NEPA or
electricity light and We'd
like you to run this test.

connect charger to laptop

o use HP Battery Check, follow the steps below.
Click Start and select HP Support Assistant .
On the HP Support Assistant window, select Troubleshoot ,
and then select Power, Thermal, and Mechanical .

or check hp support assistant on start , all programm...

Click Battery Check to examine your battery and
display the results of your battery status check

The current state of the battery (charging or discharging) is displayed.
If no battrey check google hp battery test and download to test your battery

compaq and hp are the same
and tell us the result
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by alpontif(m): 9:11am On Jan 15, 2013
Hello, please i think i am in deep shit, a virus has infected all my files, and added extensions to them, these include Microsoft documents, pdf documents, autocad files...every file i have got except .exe files or jpg files. the virus has added extra extensions to these files, an example of a normal file is this: Cost estimate.doc

this file has now been changed to: Cost estimate.doc.DONATEAFRICA@YEAH.NET_SOS1285

this is the phrase that has affected all my files and made them unreadable and inaccessible, please i need your help. how do i get my normal files back..?

....more has happened, the virus has shutdown my pc, its not booting into windows anymore, and its displaying a message, in four languages, the content of the message is that they are a clique of zimbabwean pirates who have taken over my computer, and i have been given three days to pay them before i will get them back, else my data will be lost forever, it says that my files have been encrypted.

it has also encrypted all the files on my external hard disk. i need help.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 1:20pm On Jan 15, 2013
alpontif: Hello, please i think i am in deep shit, a virus has infected all my files, and added extensions to them, these include Microsoft documents, pdf documents, autocad files...every file i have got except .exe files or jpg files. the virus has added extra extensions to these files, an example of a normal file is this: Cost estimate.doc

this file has now been changed to: Cost estimate.doc.DONATEAFRICA@YEAH.NET_SOS1285

this is the phrase that has affected all my files and made them unreadable and inaccessible, please i need your help. how do i get my normal files back..?

....more has happened, the virus has shutdown my pc, its not booting into windows anymore, and its displaying a message, in four languages, the content of the message is that they are a clique of zimbabwean pirates who have taken over my computer, and i have been given three days to pay them before i will get them back, else my data will be lost forever, it says that my files have been encrypted.

If not able to boot into windows call adtwin IT people they'd be able to help you. On this forum look for
Adetwin and call them.IF the compu..not booting into windows is hard to do anything. you need some
physical to check it for you. it is compliccated to be asking you to use a live disk to search for
virus. Go the safe way and you have to remember, we are here to provide support and where we
cant due to one reason or the other we advice you to take it to a profession. call Adetwin on
07082998586,08133018196. i dont know adtwin but can vouch for them as a good compu repairer.
call them first or look for wolebaba on this forum
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Askedi(m): 5:11pm On Jan 15, 2013
Please my hp compaq nc6000, remains blank when switched on, any help will be greatly appreciated.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by stephenponti(m): 6:35am On Jan 16, 2013
Hello house please i need help, my pc hp 550 window 7, was saying window not genuine, my jnr bro took it to edit a document on the process tried to install a crack to make the window 7 genuine. Now the pc can't boot displays this message each time I chose any of the options on the red screen to boot. " windows 7 chainloader/bootmgr error 13 invalid or unsupported executable format "

Pls somebody help me I tried to run the repair cd, the pc couldn't boot from the cd, what else should I do?

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 8:52am On Jan 16, 2013
alpontif: Hello, please i think i am in deep shit, a virus has infected all my files, and added extensions to them, these include Microsoft documents, pdf documents, autocad files...every file i have got except .exe files or jpg files. the virus has added extra extensions to these files, an example of a normal file is this: Cost estimate.doc

basterds, i have seen this in the uk before. You allowed a stranger to use for laptop to browse right, the person quickly goes to their site and downloads the software into your laptop and it does just this crap to ur files. Had to pay 100quid to restore the laptop. Whoever used ur laptop before it started is responsible, or you r one of those pipl who just click on links in mails or sites anyhow. I feel ur pain bro...
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 9:02am On Jan 16, 2013
stephenponti: Hello house please i need help, my pc hp 550 window 7, was saying window not genuine, my jnr bro took it to edit a document on the process tried to install a crack to make the window 7 genuine. Now the pc can't boot displays this message each time I chose any of the options on the red screen to boot. " windows 7 chainloader/bootmgr error 13 invalid or unsupported executable format "

Pls somebody help me I tried to run the repair cd, the pc couldn't boot from the cd, what else should I do?

first go sheck your system bios, in the boot sequence, make sure cd/rom is above hard disk.

Then try d recovery cd again. And do system restore to a much previous time.
Lets know how it goes.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 9:07am On Jan 16, 2013
wolebaba:

How did you dat its d processor causing it not to boot.

There are many reason y a PC won't boot.

true. But this is a processor problem. So any links.... If u hv a trusted person in comp villa that sels original stuff, lemme know
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 10:44am On Jan 16, 2013
stephenponti: Hello house please i need help, my pc hp 550 window 7, was saying window not genuine, my jnr bro took it to edit a document on the process tried to install a crack to make the window 7 genuine. Now the pc can't boot displays this message each time I chose any of the options on the red screen to boot. " windows 7 chainloader/bootmgr error 13 invalid or unsupported executable format "

Level=Advanced

Genuine Windows Vista® Business 32
Genuine Windows Vista® Business
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic 32
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 32

What actually happens...

check your cd is not RTM
version or grub/linux loader
is it an original cd not fake ?

This laptop originally
came with the above OS

You then decided to upgrade
to Windows 7 either using a
genuine DVD install or a free
Iso torrent from the internet.
You now need product key to get
genuine so that you can get rid of
the msg and the black screen.You
then continue with the crack installation
that caused the master boot record to be altered.

Okay is an Hp machine and we are unlucky that
the recovery partition has been erased,
it would have come to our rescue.

If there's data on your machine restart
this may be another option (if it has a recovery partition)
by pressing click>> <F11> key which should start the
recovery process with an option to to backup the user
files before beginning the recovery otherwise all unsaved
/notbacked-up files will be lost.

If no date lets proceed to repair the master boot record and
]please be very careful with it[/b]. pop the disk in and
boot pressing f10 and follow my prev colleague andante advised

And when you select the language and installation path i.e. c drive

If you don't have a Windows 7 installation DVD, you can download
it from http://downloads.pcauthority.com.au/?act
Make sure you get the one that matches your current system.
Alternatively, you can download a Windows Repair disc image
from http://lair360.co.uk/blog/1053/windows-7
Use ImgBurn from http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=dow… to burn the image to CD or DVD.

If you don't have an up to date backup and need to get your documents copied onto an
external hard drive, you'll need an alternate operating system.
I'd recommend you download an Ubuntu Linux image, burn it to a CD
or DVD, and boot the live OS from that.
This will enable you to copy your files with a fairly easy
to use and somewhat familiar interface.
Download Ubuntu from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/do
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 11:07am On Jan 16, 2013
Askedi: Please my hp compaq nc6000, remains blank when switched on, any help will be greatly appreciated.

How to perform an ATX reset:

Disconnect the power from your computer.
If possible remove the battery and external devices.
Hold the power button for about 15 seconds
Put the battery back in the computer
Reconnect the power
Press the power button to turn on your computer

If this does not solve the power issue it
may be the hardware its self which is
faulty and will need repairing or replacing.

If no joy the laptop memory ram may need checking
pls do this only if you're competent to do so or
take it to a computer repairer. If still no joy
try connecting it to an external monitor using a vga
cable pls note you may need to press fn and f5 or f6 something
like that.each laptop is different so check yours is a monitor
on the f keys on the top row.if no joy it need repairing
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 11:16am On Jan 16, 2013
andante:

true. But this is a processor problem. So any links.... If u hv a trusted person in comp villa that sels original stuff, lemme know
which post are you guys referring to ?
Out of 10 chance is the ram, mobo or cpu
ram 2/10
mobo 7/10
cpu 1/10
no boot couldbe anything

cd in drive
peripherals
hdd not sat in
ram not in
laptop dropped
liquid damage
invertetr backlight
screen backlight switch
fn and f5 been pressed
corrupted bios
etc....
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 11:22am On Jan 16, 2013
utchken: how can i get an IDM with crack

We do not offer cracks
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by adetwin(m): 1:19pm On Jan 16, 2013

Contact ADETWIN IT CONCEPT ENT. for lasting solution ......................

(1) (2) (3) ... (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) ... (1222) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.