Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,108 members, 7,828,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:00 PM

Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. - Computers (247) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (1274308 Views)

22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) ... (1223) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by stephenponti(m): 5:23pm On Jan 16, 2013
deji2009:

How to perform an ATX reset:

Disconnect the power from your computer.
If possible remove the battery and external devices.
Hold the power button for about 15 seconds
Put the battery back in the computer
Reconnect the power
Press the power button to turn on your computer

If this does not solve the power issue it
may be the hardware its self which is
faulty and will need repairing or replacing.

If no joy the laptop memory ram may need checking
pls do this only if you're competent to do so or
take it to a computer repairer. If still no joy
try connecting it to an external monitor using a vga
cable pls note you may need to press fn and f5 or f6 something
like that.each laptop is different so check yours is a monitor
on the f keys on the top row.if no joy it need repairing

deji2009:

Genuine Windows Vista® Business 32
Genuine Windows Vista® Business
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic 32
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 32

What actually happens...

check your cd is not RTM
version or grub/linux loader
is it an original cd not fake ?

This laptop originally
came with the above OS

You then decided to upgrade
to Windows 7 either using a
genuine DVD install or a free
Iso torrent from the internet.
You now need product key to get
genuine so that you can get rid of
the msg and the black screen.You
then continue with the crack installation
that caused the master boot record to be altered.

Okay is an Hp machine and we are unlucky that
the recovery partition has been erased,
it would have come to our rescue.

If there's data on your machine restart
this may be another option (if it has a recovery partition)
by pressing click>> <F11> key which should start the
recovery process with an option to to backup the user
files before beginning the recovery otherwise all unsaved
/notbacked-up files will be lost.

If no date lets proceed to repair the master boot record and
]please be very careful with it[/b]. pop the disk in and
boot pressing f10 and follow my prev colleague andante advised

And when you select the language and installation path i.e. c drive

If you don't have a Windows 7 installation DVD, you can download
it from http://downloads.pcauthority.com.au/?act
Make sure you get the one that matches your current system.
Alternatively, you can download a Windows Repair disc image
from http://lair360.co.uk/blog/1053/windows-7
Use ImgBurn from http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=dow… to burn the image to CD or DVD.

If you don't have an up to date backup and need to get your documents copied onto an
external hard drive, you'll need an alternate operating system.
I'd recommend you download an Ubuntu Linux image, burn it to a CD
or DVD, and boot the live OS from that.
This will enable you to copy your files with a fairly easy
to use and somewhat familiar interface.
Download Ubuntu from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/do

adetwin:

Contact ADETWIN IT CONCEPT ENT. for lasting solution ......................

@all thank you 4 your contributions, I decided to just buy new disk and removed the old one from the system instaled vista and it works just fine now. i bought disk case for the old disk and copied my files back. it ll now serve as an external storage for backups grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by onyekabe(m): 8:35pm On Jan 16, 2013
[quote author=onyekabe]Why have all my files
become Windows
Media Player
shortcuts?:
When I open a file, it
opens Windows Media
Player. I don’t know
what happened fellow please help me on how to stop media player from opening all my programme here is the model of the pc toshiba equium A100-549
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by great063(m): 9:30pm On Jan 16, 2013
wolebaba:

Various reasons could be the cause:

- low RAM (wat is the size of the RAM)
- Virus (do you have an AV installed, if yes; wat type and is it updated regularly?)
- Too many applications or quite "heavy" apps running).how many apps are installed, and determine if there are those of them that can take up a significant part of your system resources.
- Low Hard Disk space.

We need to ascertain which of the options is really the issue, b4 a solution can be proffered.
Provide the above answers and the cause of the wahala will be made manifest.
No anti-virus currently runs on my laptop,its a 4GB RAM.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by great063(m): 9:36pm On Jan 16, 2013
deji2009:

Citation

Help yourself at http://www.stayupdate.com/tips-tricks/32-useful-tips-to-improve-laptop-performance/167

The above is not my own work.

What your ram memeory size
start, computer system properties and
check e.g. 2 gb or 3gb

do you have norton installed ?

how many antivirus do you have installed ?

has the laptop fan been cleaned before ?

is it nvidia grahics type.

on system properties is it service pakc 1 or 2

Run a atest

Plug the AC Adapter into the computer if it is not already connected.
Turn off the computer and wait 5 seconds.
Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press
the F10 key to enter the BIOS Setup menu.
Use the Right Arrow or Left Arrow keys to navigate
through the menu selection to find the Primary Hard Drive
Self Test option. Depending on your BIOS, this may be found below Diagnostics or Tools .
Select Primary Hard Drive Self Test , and then press the Enter key to start the test.
RAM-4GB,Norton has expired,no anti-virus installed/running. The laptops fan hasn't been cleaned.Service Pack 1...After running the Primary Hard Disk Self Test,it came up with this-HARD DISK 1 FULL. Do I need to create more partitions or something else?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by emmaugoh1: 10:28pm On Jan 16, 2013
pls users online,i have this windows 8 evaluation preview copy running but since I can get a product key to activate it,i activated it, but now after 3 months or so,yesterday it came with a message that if I don't get the windows 8 pro is going to be going off in an hour and will work for two hours,pls do anyone have a clue for this,since I don't have 40 dollars to to buy d pro.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by wolebaba(m): 10:52pm On Jan 16, 2013
great063: RAM-4GB,Norton has expired,no anti-virus installed/running. The laptops fan hasn't been cleaned.Service Pack 1...After running the Primary Hard Disk Self Test,it came up with this-HARD DISK 1 FULL. Do I need to create more partitions or something else?

There is the reason for the slowness. How many partitions do U have? Just free the C: a little let your PC breathe.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by wolebaba(m): 10:55pm On Jan 16, 2013
emma ugoh: pls users online,i have this windows 8 evaluation preview copy running but since I can get a product key to activate it,i activated it, but now after 3 months or so,yesterday it came with a message that if I don't get the windows 8 pro is going to be going off in an hour and will work for two hours,pls do anyone have a clue for this,since I don't have 40 dollars to to buy d pro.

U have to buy the Original. No two ways to this or downgrade back to what you were using b4.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by flama(m): 9:01am On Jan 17, 2013
Gurus in the house kindly help with this problem, my hp pavilion dv3, is writing: no bootable device, insert a boot disc and press any. How can solve this problem plsss.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Djmos2: 10:03am On Jan 17, 2013
THIS PAGE IS GIVING AWAY FREE SANDWICH VPN VOUCHER CODE HERE. HURRY NOW TO GET YOUR

LINK:- https://www.facebook.com/SandwichVpn
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by steve20114ril(m): 11:32am On Jan 17, 2013
helo gurus in da house, a hapi new year to u al. Plz i nid ur hlp on ma dell inspiron m5040 dat suddenly refused to on again after i borowd it to a frnd. What causd it i dnt knw even d battery does not charge nd a technician told me dat i wld have to change d motherboard but some how i fil i wld find a solution here plz hlp me.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by xtus(m): 11:59am On Jan 17, 2013
@all, plz i need help in resolving this problem with my hp laptop....... it keep showing me: Windows 7 Build 7600 this copy of windows is not genuine

wht can i do....... thanks all
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jan 17, 2013
flama: Gurus in the house kindly help with this problem, my hp pavilion dv3, is writing: no bootable device, insert a boot disc and press any. How can solve this problem plsss.

Your hard disk has totaled or may be you moved the laptop around too much and the hard disk has shifted.

Try opening the back cover and locating the hard disk if you can or simply take it to an engineer to help you check it. If it is the hard disk that has stopped working then you need to get a new one else if it's that the hard disk has shifted from the slot then all you need to do is to slot it back well and try and hold it in place.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jan 17, 2013
steve20114ril: helo gurus in da house, a hapi new year to u al. Plz i nid ur hlp on ma dell inspiron m5040 dat suddenly refused to on again after i borowd it to a frnd. What causd it i dnt knw even d battery does not charge nd a technician told me dat i wld have to change d motherboard but some how i fil i wld find a solution here plz hlp me.

There are many things that can affect your system not coming up again. ..is it that it powers on the fan rolls but its just not coming up or it is totally dead. Also ask you friend if he any way tampered with the system i.e. maybe there was was an electric surge or something of that nature.

Also smell near the vent at the back to see if it smells like burnt electric appliance... return these answers and we can proceed from there.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jan 17, 2013
xtus: @all, plz i need help in resolving this problem with my hp laptop....... it keep showing me: Windows 7 Build 7600 this copy of windows is not genuine

wht can i do....... thanks all

obviously ur win 7 is a pirated version. Best option is to purchase a genuine window 7 software. Read thru d tread on this page, a link for where to download genuine win7 was posted.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jan 17, 2013
andante:

obviously ur win 7 is a pirated version. Best option is to purchase a genuine window 7 software. Read thru d tread on this page, a link for where to download genuine win7 was posted.

In Nigeria?...hmm ., almost all win7 are pirated except you got a factory installed lapi with win 7 installed or you coughed out $180 to buy the original..
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by steve20114ril(m): 1:33pm On Jan 17, 2013
@ mdsocks, tanx for ur response. D fan does not come on n dia is no smell in d vent. Plz continue
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jan 17, 2013
steve20114ril: @ mdsocks, tanx for ur response. D fan does not come on n dia is no smell in d vent. Plz continue

ok...then there are two options left.

1. There's no power feeding the system. Try removing the battery and connecting the ac adapter only. If it does not power on. Maybe the power button connector has a fault(but wait does it give the led indcator showing it's charging when you connect the charger) if none of these

2. Then maybe the charger is bad,try to get a similar dell charger and see if it works. If all these don;t work then i will go with the repairer then...

3. Am sorry to announce,your motherboard is fried.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 11:32pm On Jan 17, 2013
great063: RAM-4GB,Norton has expired,no anti-virus installed/running. The laptops fan hasn't been cleaned.Service Pack 1...After running the Primary Hard Disk Self Test,it came up with this-HARD DISK 1 FULL. Do I need to create more partitions or something else?

1st
In practice we usually remove norton
by[b] norton removal tool[/b]. if you had used
the add remove program to remove it, norton
will still there even though is gone.
some files are left behind.

Hp test usually give an error code
i.e., Hard Disk 1 Full (305) whta's yours

Click start, computer, can you see D Recovery/Hp recovery ?

Did you ran the short or long hard drive test ? only if that option was
available at the time. pls remind us what's the full model number of your laptop ?
e.g. hp 530 windows vista home premium.
If you are able to backup your data in
recovery mode via f11 hp recovery manager
backup data using a bigger external
hard drive let say GB depending on
how much data you've got. its advisable
to have a backup of your data just in-case
the unexpected happens. depending on
your reply we would be able to
conclude this for you.

You also have to remember that
we can only do our best here on nairaland.
however you can call this people if need be.
I am not related to them so don't worry.
I tend to recommed because of their popularity on this forum

Contact ADETWIN IT CONCEPT ENT.
We are into all kinds of IT SUPPORT Mobile:
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jan 17, 2013
onyekabe: Why have all my files
become Windows
Media Player
shortcuts?:
When I open a file, it
opens Windows Media
Player. I don’t know
what happened fellow please help me on how to stop media player from opening all my programme here is the model of the pc toshiba equium A100-549
Check this link : http://all4naija..com/2012/08/all-desktop-shortcut-icons-changed-to.html
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 11:49pm On Jan 17, 2013
flama: Gurus in the house kindly help with this problem, my hp pavilion dv3, is writing: no bootable device, insert a boot disc and press any. How can solve this problem plsss.

Turn off the computer
and wait five seconds.
Turn on the computer
and immediately press
the F10 key repeatedly
until a BIOS Setup
screen opens.

If nothing happens,
press the F1 key repeatedly.

Go to either boot sequence/boot order
and look for hdd its self explanatory
you shouldn't have a problem. use the
key on the screen to move the hard drive
so that the hard drive is 1st, cd/dvd 2nd the rest
doesn't matter. press f10 to save and exit then see.

If no joy make sure no camera, ipod,
iphone, usb or any other device
attached to your laptop.
if there is remove it please and see.

If no joy restart again pressing f8 go for
repair your computer and follow instructions

If after following the instr...still no joy

If you bought the laptop new, I blamed you that
you didn't create a set of rescue recovery DVD for the
unexpected
Your Hp laptop comes with a built in recovery
to bail out.however this option is a last resort. if thats the
case we are smiling. all you need is an external hard drive
say 50gb depending on how much data you have.though we cannot
boot to the computer but hp laptops do offer data backup before
we use the inbuilt recovery to remaster the laptop to factory settings.
Recvoery is the last resort to the problem.if you can hold of boot disk
that can match your O/S say Win 7,Vista etc then we can run some automatic repairs.

If still no joy make sure yuou have enough
battery power or just connect charger and
restart go back to bios f10 and go to
diagnostics and run either the short or long
hard drive test, preferably I would like you
to run the long one if the option is available.
fif not just run the one it got and should report
failed or pass

At anytime pls get back to us one of my colleague would
be able to take over incase am offline
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 12:04am On Jan 18, 2013
all4naija: Check this link : http://all4naija..com/2012/08/all-desktop-shortcut-icons-changed-to.html

That should get the job done.
Nice one all4naija. I have
been using it for sometime now and
is okay. nice1
wink
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 12:10am On Jan 18, 2013
mdsocks:

There are many things that can affect your system not coming up again. ..is it that it powers on the fan rolls but its just not coming up or it is totally dead. Also ask you friend if he any way tampered with the system i.e. maybe there was was an electric surge or something of that nature.

Also smell near the vent at the back to see if it smells like burnt electric appliance... return these answers and we can proceed from there.

What an excellent piece of advice.

@poster In the meanwhile you can try

this. How to perform an ATX reset:

Disconnect the power from
your computer.If possible remove
the battery and external devices.
Hold the power button
for about 15 seconds
Put the battery back
in the computer.Reconnect the
power Press the power
button to turn on your computer

Also, the Enr. said is a motherb..problem
he is more accurate because he can see the
laptops but we cant so don't doubts him
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 12:20am On Jan 18, 2013
deji2009:

That should get the job done.
Nice one all4naija. I have
been using it for sometime now and
is okay. nice1
wink
Thank you, Deji! Nice job you're doing here. I really appreciate your effort in finding solutions to people's system troubles.

Meanwhile, how are you doing?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 1:01am On Jan 18, 2013
all4naija: Thank you, Deji! Nice job you're doing here. I really appreciate your effort in finding solutions to people's system troubles.

Meanwhile, how are you doing?

I'm fine.What about you ?
Been a while ! Lets see
and read more from you
from time to time.Gdnight
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 8:50am On Jan 18, 2013
deji2009:

Please continue with the good job
you 're doing here. We do not offer remove
WGA or cracks.Please abide by this rule at all time.
We can join hands together and make
a difference. Also I would like to see
more of you. your post for this past few
days is been brilliant.

Thank you and good night !

wink

ok deji..i thought as much...but since the guy was crying here for help..

Maybe i need to go through the section rules again and understand every bit..

But, Thumbs up to you guys. You are doing a nice job here and would drop in once in a while to post my lil. thoughts

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by fasho4all: 11:58am On Jan 18, 2013
Many people have different pads that are merely decoration, because they can’t move documents around from between their laptops and their pads, and because they can’t use the same applications on both devices. There is a big market for an effective pad, that has capacity to substitute your laptop, substitute your phone, give you access to your email and social media sites, and also be used for presentations, entertainment and more. This welcomes you to Verizon Tab.

Package Inclusions
The Verizon Tab
Folder and Stylus
HDMI Cable
Ear Piece
USB Adaptor
Direct to Laptop connector
Children Education Materials and Games
Business pack :Business Tracking Centre, Personalized Website, Online marketing tools

call Ayodele-08152696271,08028447564

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by DAVE5(m): 3:06pm On Jan 18, 2013
pls house i need help
my mini is misbehavin, if i connect d charger while d battery is inserted d system shuts down after some time, but if i remove d battery and connect d charger it would stay on,but d battery charges if i put d charger while it is off, i dont know what seems to be d problem

so if u can help i would rili appreciate it greatly
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by adewasco2k(m): 5:44pm On Jan 18, 2013
D.A.V.E:
pls house i need help
my mini is misbehavin, if i connect d charger while d battery is inserted d system shuts down after some time, but if i remove d battery and connect d charger it would stay on,but d battery charges if i put d charger while it is off, i dont know what seems to be d problem

so if u can help i would rili appreciate it greatly
now if i get you well, your AC adapter and battery are not compatible? first!!! is that the original battery and charger that came with your PC? Mind you! you might be damaging your motherboard if the power adapter is outputting incorrect voltage, so your PC shuts down to prevent damages.
so try this.
1. Try using a known working power adapter, you can borrow one to troubleshoot, but make sure its same voltage with yours.
2. Try a known working battery on it to.
3. Try to reduce the performance and brightness of your PC or probably disable the graphic card and see.
If problem persist, i suspect a board problem.

Wait for my colleagues to comment @Deji2009 @Adetwin @all4naija and co
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by mekky316: 5:51pm On Jan 18, 2013
Please i want to install windows XP or windows vista on my laptop which is currently running Windows 7. I want to install the XP or Vista without uninstalling Win7 so i can have a dual boot system. Plz how would i go about this. Thanks!
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by adewasco2k(m): 6:22pm On Jan 18, 2013
mekky316: Please i want to install windows XP or windows vista on my laptop which is currently running Windows 7. I want to install the XP or Vista without uninstalling Win7 so i can have a dual boot system. Plz how would i go about this. Thanks!
i will give you a shallow guide believe you are savvy enough to catch...in case of any further question, just come back here.

1. Create a New Partition from the Windows 7 Hard Disk Drive (you will shrink your hard disk from disk management, then create new partition)but i will advice you read up windows XP and 7 minimum requirements, you will not have problem if you have enough disk space.

2. After creating a partition take note of the name, then install windows XP on that partition with a genuine CD (you will be asked to select a partition to install it to in the process)

3. After installation you wouldn't be able to logon to windows 7 just yet, so on your newly installed windows XP install the .NET Framework 2.0 and the you need a program to repair the boot file of your windows 7 its called EasyBCD its a freeware which can be downloaded here
install the .NET Framework first to be able to download the EasyBCD, so run the EasyBCD that will help to repair the Windows 7 boot file and add XP to the Windows Boot Manager list.

4. On the EasyBCD On the left side, click on the Add New Entry button,
-In the top section under Operating Systems, click on the Windows tab
-To the right of Type, select Windows NT/2k/XP/2k3 from the drop down menu.
-To the right of Name, you can leave the default Microsoft Windows XP as the name to be displayed in the Windows Boot Manager, or you can type whatever name you would like to have instead.
-Click on the Add Entry button
-On the left side of EasyBCD, click on the BCD Deployment button, select (dot) the Install the Windows Vista/7 bootloader to the MBR option, and click on the Write MBR button.

5. restart and you will have option to select which OS to boot into

Okay i know you might be scared of the steps, its easy when you are on it that as stated.

I hope some other gurus in the house can help drop a simpler step to follow, this are the steps i also follow when doing that and i have never stumble on any problem so far.

NB for the EasyBCD software, at the bottom of the site you will see registration for free users (non-commercial purpose)

(1) (2) (3) ... (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) ... (1223) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.