Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,083 members, 7,849,394 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 08:19 PM

Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. - Computers (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (1283412 Views)

22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (1224) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 12:07am On Mar 26, 2010
Roland Pet:

Thanks God for his journey mercy on you deji2009.

Pls deji and all the guru's in the house,im into selling fairly used laptops and recently i was receiving a lot of laptop for repair from some clients which i normally send to some system Engineers around to fix.

But now i have decided to get a clean knowledge in system maintenance which i have started the training for the past three months now.

Pls im founding it difficult in getting a material that will brush me up on MOTHERBOARD TROUBLESHOOTING,ITS FLOW CHART DIAGONISING,pls if you can help me with some materials,i will appreciate,both in software and hardware.

I will also like us to talk (Deji).but is not what i will tell you here.

Pls my email address is

ilonu@yahoo.com.

Thanks.

You cant go wrong with http://www.fonerbooks.com/pcrepair.htm

My personal definition of computer is the process of elimination.

Thanks for enquiring
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 12:11am On Mar 26, 2010
octus2008:

rating - 1.0
processor-AMD TURION(TM)X2 DUAL-CORE MOBILE
RM-74 2.20 GHZ
MEMORY(RAM)3070
SYSTEM TYPE 32 BIT OPERATING SYSTEM
HP LAPTOP
BOUGHT FROM GERMANY AS A RESULT OF LANGUAGE,DECIDED TO REFORMAT WID ANOTHER VISTA ENGLIS VERSION BUT LOST MOST OF MY FUNTIONALITY WHEN I REFORMATTED IT,MY WEB CAM AINT WORKIN AND COUPLE OF OTHER COMPONENT PROGRAMMES
PLS I NEED HELP WHAT DO I DO

Dear octus2008,

Thanks for the above enquiry and do appreciate your explanations. for us to start diagnosing, we would like to
know your operating system type. e.g[b]. XP VIsta or windows 7[/b]. meanwhile click start > run >devmgmt.msc >press enter
you will see a screen similar to below. Good luck !

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 12:18am On Mar 26, 2010
is this common with hp compaq laptops? whenu plug your power pack it says "plugged in, not charging" then after a while it begin to charge by itself, i happens to my laptop n dat of my friend. we have the same laptop but bought it in different countries.

please help,

Dear xtremeidea,

Thanks for the above enquiry and do appreciate your explanations. for us to verify if is a hardware or
software problem, here's your diagnostics. if vista click start and 2cm below you"ll see a white box
type in battery and look for hp battery test press enter if available. if not then simply do this.

www2.hp.com/techcenter/battery/battery_ts.htm">http://h20239.www2.hp.com/techcenter/battery/battery_ts.htm

www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00625471&product=18703">http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00625471&product=18703

Good luck
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 12:29am On Mar 26, 2010
Got a lappie in July'2009,  still has good warranty on it so I guess I'll bring it in if I cant fix it myself. Only trouble is the store is sorta far so, am hoping someone is able to help me.
When I turn it on, i get a message that says:
"The SMART hard disk check has detected an immintent failure. To ensure no data loss, please back up the content immediately and run the hard disk test and system diagnostics". Okay, so I go ahead, windows opens (takes its time to open) but then it gets soooooo slow! Every letter I type takes about 3 minutes each to come up on the screen, and it freezes alot.
I've tried runing scans through Norton, which works till it shuts down and I get a message that says:
"Boot device not found. Please install an operating system on your hard disk, "
I go to run system diagnostics, start-up test as well as run-in test. They all fail. I get  message that says "hard disk does not exist"
PLEASE does anyone know how to fix this problem and what in God's name could be wrong? I tried system-restore but it always fails too!

Keep in mind that when I do open this lappie on safe mode, it works perfectly but of course, in safe mode some features dont work (e.g audio, which is a big issue because  I love youtube! lol). Please help! (less your heart)

Hello AqRiUs Ag,

Thank you for the above enquiry and do appreciate your explanations. I take it is HP or packard bell laptop ?

This can either be a software or a hardware problem. until we can prove the hard drive is faulty am not satisfy
to pass it as a hardware fault. Here's your diagnostics, make sure charger is plugged in then >>>>>>>>>>>>

1st turn off > press f10 > Main and see if hard drive is detected

Turn it off > keep pressing f10 until you see a bios setup utility

use your arrow key to go to diagnostics >primary hard drive self test

>press enter and wait for the result. Good luck !
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by just4just: 8:08am On Mar 26, 2010
pls help i can view any video from the net and i download flash player
but can t work. each time it said a plug in is missing the system is new. window xp. also the picture from the system is blurrell it is not clear enough. what can i do?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Tjad: 8:30am On Mar 26, 2010
Deji & other people in d house pls help me out. When i put on my computer, it boots and then show me the desktop. After some few minutes. It shows a blue screen and then trips off. After that nothing would even show on my monitor again, meanwhille the cpu is still on. What could be the problem. Am completely frustrated.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 9:56am On Mar 26, 2010
just4just:

pls help i can  view any video from the net and i download flash player
but can t work.  each time it said a plug in  is missing the system is new. window xp.  also the picture from the system is blurrell it is not clear enough.  what can i do?

Dear just4just,

RE :Video issues

Thanks for the above enquiry. here's your diagnostics:
Click on the following link to view flash FAQ'S.
This a know issue make sure you follow the steps
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html

Pictures issues

Open up IE > locate tools > internet options > advance
and scroll down to multimedia to make sure picture is ticked

Good luck !
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 10:07am On Mar 26, 2010
Tjad:

Deji & other people in d house pls help me out. When i put on my computer, it boots and then show me the desktop. After some few minutes. It shows a blue screen and then trips off. After that nothing would even show on my monitor again, meanwhille the cpu is still on. What could be the problem. Am completely frustrated.

Dear Tjad,

Level=Intermediate

Thanks for the above enquiry. here's your diagnostics:

Turn off/on your machine > Repeatedly pressing F8 > Advance option >

Last know good configuration > press enter then test>

If no joy then we need to carry out more diagnostics.

F8 like before advance option > safe mode > then > press
enter then wait. if in safe mode click start > run > rstrui > press
enter and select a date when everything was working fine > then test

If no joy, We are going to force the computer to display the blue screen
in making sure we know what the error message is.

F8 as usual disable automatic restart on system failure
then test or restart by pressing ctrl+alt+ delete if no joy then

safe mode > Level= Advance

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

Click the Advanced tab.

Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

Restart your computer for the settings to take effect then test.

Good luck !

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by horseballs(m): 11:05am On Mar 26, 2010
i cannot download and open excel email attachments, it keeps giving me the error: "command cannot be specified" pls i need urgent help asap as i really want to open an important attachment. thanks
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Akerekoroabijawara(m): 11:52am On Mar 26, 2010
@ Deji2009,I formatted my Acer dualcore desktop.After the installation the sound refuse to work.Somebody told me that i need to install the sound driver software.Pls can u post a link where i can download it.the pc is ACER veriton M264(window xp)
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by horseballs(m): 12:01pm On Mar 26, 2010
am quite sure i posted this earlier,
anyways here it comes again,
am having problem opening excel email attachment on my system
it keeps giving me an error: "command cannot be specified"
that is after excel must have opened and yet the attached document wont open.
please office gurus in the house kindly assist me to solve this issue.
thanks.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by beInsipred: 1:56pm On Mar 26, 2010
Hi Dear! Please, I got these several black and white horizontal lines running across my LAPTOP LCD (Del Inspiron 1525). Do you have any clue what can be done to get rid off of it or have you idea where I can buy the replacement and what the price looks like?

Thanks so kindly

beInspired
aspireafrique@yahoo.ca
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Internetcash1(f): 3:12pm On Mar 26, 2010
How can I browse free off charge on my system
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 5:44pm On Mar 26, 2010
horseballs:

i cannot download and open excel email attachments, it keeps giving me the error: "command cannot be specified" pls i need urgent help asap as i really want to open an important attachment. thanks

Hi horseball,

what make is your computer ?

WIndows XP, VISTA or Windows 7 ?

Do you have office installed and not a trial version ?

Were you sent the attachment by someone else ?

type of email been use. e.g. hotmail.com, gmail, outlook etc ?

Microsoft office type 2003, 2007 or works ?

To rule out which is  causing the problem, try opening the
attachment from another computer. Good luck !
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 5:46pm On Mar 26, 2010
Internet cash:

How can I off charge on my system

How do you mean Internet cash ?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 5:48pm On Mar 26, 2010
deji2009:

How do you mean Internet cash ?

Deji, I know you're good with laptops and what not.

What should I be looking for if I'm looking for a good quality laptop?

I'm not a compu person lol and I wanna buy a laptop that I know will last long and have good memory, good stuff like that.

P.S: No apples. I hate apples.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 5:52pm On Mar 26, 2010
FL Gators:

Deji, I know you're good with laptops and what not.

What should I be looking for if I'm looking for a good quality laptop?

I'm not a compu person lol and I wanna buy a laptop that I know will last long and have good memory, good stuff like that.

P.S: No apples. I hate apples.

This will help http://www.vouchercodes.co.uk/articles/what-to-look-for-when-buying-a-laptop.html

Thanks for enquiring
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 5:54pm On Mar 26, 2010
deji2009:

This will help http://www.vouchercodes.co.uk/articles/what-to-look-for-when-buying-a-laptop.html

Thanks for enquiring
No, thank [i]you [/i]for helping smiley
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 5:59pm On Mar 26, 2010
FL Gators:

No, thank [i]you [/i]for helping smiley

When buying ask for the one with built in recovery partition e.g. Advent, HP or Packard bell. so if were to have a virus or
a software problem you can always reformat by pressing some buttons instead of buying another windows disk.
A woman like yourself don't want to stress too much. do you ? we are here anyway.  lol
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 6:01pm On Mar 26, 2010
lol no I dnt want to stress.
Most of my work are done and turned in through the internet. Right now my compu is bleeping up real bad.

I heard that HP computers are just pretty, tht they break down easily. True?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 6:07pm On Mar 26, 2010
beInsipred:

Hi Dear! Please, I got these several black and white horizontal lines running across my LAPTOP LCD (Del Inspiron 1525). Do you have any clue what can be done to get rid off of it or have you idea where I can buy the replacement and what the price looks like?

Thanks so kindly

beInspired
aspireafrique@yahoo.ca

Dear beInsipred ,

Thank you for the above enquiry and do appreciate your explanations.

For us to verify if is a hardware or a software problem. Here's your diagnostics.

Swap test the laptop with a monitor and see if you"ll have lines

secondly turn off the laptop and back on again and keep pressing f2 or
f1 or delete and see if you have the same lines.

try moving the close lid backward and forward/apply small pressure to see
if will make any difference as this could be a connection problem.

apply small pressure next to the power button and see if we make any difference

check the manufacturer website for graphics or bios update

take your time and follow the diagnostics given and get back to us.

what make is your laptop xp or vista ?

Good luck
to gain access to the bios
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 6:11pm On Mar 26, 2010
FL Gators:

lol no I dnt want to stress.
Most of my work are done and turned in through the internet. Right now my compu is bleeping up real bad.

I heard that HP computers are just pretty, tht they break down easily. True?

HP are very good laptop. stay away from HP DV series 4000 and 6000

Patriot 1 to 6 series and dell small netbooks
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 6:14pm On Mar 26, 2010
Writing this down. Thanks wink
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 6:16pm On Mar 26, 2010
horseballs:

am quite sure i posted this earlier,
anyways here it comes again,
am having problem opening excel email attachment on my system
it keeps giving me an error: "command cannot be specified"
that is after excel must have opened and yet the attached document wont open.
please office gurus in the house kindly assist me to solve this issue.
thanks.

when the error message comes up press prtsc
                                                                  sysrq
on your keyboard to caption a screen shot and
attach it on your next reply. this will make life easier for
for you and ourselves. cheers
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 6:24pm On Mar 26, 2010
Akerekoroabijawara:

@ Deji2009,I formatted my Acer dualcore desktop.After the installation the sound refuse to work.Somebody told me that i need to install the sound driver software.Pls can u post a link where i can download it.the pc is ACER veriton M264(window xp)

Dear Akerekoroabijawara,

Thank you for the above enquiry. Below is a link to download your drivers

http://www.acer.co.uk/acer/service.do?LanguageISOCtxParam=en&miu10einu24.current.attN2B2F2EEF=3734&sp=page15e&ctx2.c2att1=17&miu10ekcond13.attN2B2F2EEF=3734&CountryISOCtxParam=UK&ctx1g.c2att92=122&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=2980211862

Good luck
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Tjad: 3:50am On Mar 27, 2010
Deji, thxs alot. I have formated the system. I installed a new os- win xp 2002- pls am i safe with this version of os.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 5:34am On Mar 27, 2010
@OlaDeji

I looked up the site you gave me plus the side info, but am still a bit confused lol.

1. What is the best precessor out there. What's the difference between these processors:

#Intel Core 2 Duo
# Intel Atom
# Intel Pentium Dual Core
# Intel Core i7
# Intel Core i5
# Intel Core i3
# AMD Turion dual core

2. What is a "RAM Size" and why is that important?

3. Hard drive size. . . .

P.S: I thought I couldnt care less about this qualities until my current laptop fccuked up. . . . I need to educate myself before buying a new one
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by unikazzy(m): 8:24am On Mar 27, 2010
pls, i just format my laptop, if i click the local disk (Esmiley it will ask if i want to format it. what happen there pls
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by octus2008(m): 6:41pm On Mar 27, 2010
i have a dell vostro laptop,last week a fault developed which i hope u can help me out
when i connect the power cord it charges but the screen goes off(becomes dim) as if i disconnected the charger,when i disconect it it becomes bright,its supposed to be the other way round pls help the lap top is just a few months old wid me plssssssssssssssss
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by hedmond(m): 11:06pm On Mar 27, 2010
Hi deji and other gurus, I installed PES2010 on my new dv6.an error comes up each time I try to open it saying, I didn't Hv the system requirement video card of VRAM 128M. The one I have is VRAM 64M,can it meet up with the 128M when I do windows update or what can I do?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 7:37am On Mar 28, 2010
Tjad:

Deji, thxs alot. I have formated the system. I installed a new os- win xp 2002- pls am i safe with this version of os.

certainly you're safe.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 7:45am On Mar 28, 2010
FL Gators:

@OlaDeji

I looked up the site you gave me plus the side info, but am still a bit confused lol.

1. What is the best precessor out there. What's the difference between these processors:

#Intel Core 2 Duo
                     # Intel Atom
                    # Intel Pentium Dual Core
                   # Intel Core i7
                  # Intel Core i5
                 # Intel Core i3
                # AMD Turion dual core

2.  What is a "RAM Size" and why is that important?

3. Hard drive size. . . .

P.S: I thought I couldnt care less about this qualities until my current laptop fccuked up. . . . I need to educate myself before buying a new one

To make life easier and for the sake of simplicity, I would suggest googling up the difference.

Core 2 Duo-means two processors.

Atom- This can be found on small netbooks such as
Dell mini series. They are  small and energy efficient.

RAM-means Ramdom Access Memory- The bigger  the better in terms of
efficiency, performance and reliability.
Minimum requirement for Windows Vista/7 is 2GB, XP 512 Or 1GB

Hard drive- is a storage device where your operating system are stored.
The bigger the better in terms of storage. e.g. document, pictures and programmes.
Hard drive size of 80-150 GB will be enough.

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (1224) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.