Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,445 members, 7,823,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills (2700 Views)

Not Sure Of Your Writing Skills? Post Here And We Can Help Each Other Improve / Putting My Writing Skills To Test / How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jul 25, 2009
Writing is not öne of my strongest points but I  have often admired great writers and wondered how they do it so effortlessly. I dread writing because I always suffer from creative block and usually my ideas doesn't seem to add up. is there a way to get around this? Something tells me that a lot of people have similar problem and would love to overcome it.
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by egreen: 11:14pm On Jul 28, 2009
BBC has a good interactive online resource titled: "How to write".
Here's the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/arts/features/howtowrite/
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by ademanutd(m): 10:07am On Jul 29, 2009
the best way for you to develop your writing skill is to look in depth at your ability, know what you are good in, like which aspect of writing are you good at. then try to develop it by writing down whatever comes into your mind
also impose questions to yourself about a particular field, then try answering them yourself. think as if you are in a examination hall with you solving question papers then try solving those questions in your mind. for instance you can think on HOW CAN I IMPROVE MY WRITING SKILLS as a question. you make research, ask from people, look at the internet then put down as many as possible words you can put down. it is also advisable to write when less busy or at morning. you must also know it takes time for you to become a great writer.
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jul 30, 2009
@e-green & ade:
thanks for ur help
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by canuck(m): 5:31am On Jul 31, 2009
One of the best ways to improve your writing skills is to read, read, and read. Did I mention you have to read?

Reading exposes you to superior thoughts, structure, grammar, prose, delivery and impact.

You crave an admirable skill that will set you apart from the general population.

All the best!
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by Editiva: 12:21am On Aug 04, 2009
Hello Crystal25,

Every writer I've ever come across complains of this same problem. So it should be re-assuring to know you are not in this alone.

However, I want to quickly point out to you that we are created with different abilities. So if writing is still proving a difficult obstacle to surmount for you despite my re-assurances, then maybe what you need is a little brush up of your manuscripts.

Editiva can help you concerning this. I hope this helps.
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by kunleerin: 5:42pm On Aug 04, 2009
Writing requires you being a good thinker. Writing deals with impression- what you look at the longest stares back at you the strongest. Writing also requires you being a good listener, meditator, observer,
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by kunleerin: 5:42pm On Aug 04, 2009
Writing requires you being a good thinker. Writing deals with impression- what you look at the longest stares back at you the strongest. Writing also requires you being a good listener, meditator, observer,
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by kunleerin: 5:43pm On Aug 04, 2009
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by kunleerin: 5:43pm On Aug 04, 2009
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by kunleerin: 5:44pm On Aug 04, 2009
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by kunleerin: 5:52pm On Aug 04, 2009
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by obimbisi: 9:27pm On Aug 10, 2009
I was seeking for help and your out-cry seemed to be my cry too. Thanks. The replies so far have endeared me as I post this, to know that there is hope for all who are is your (our) kind of dilemma. Thanks to all who have responded and given the way forward.
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by Nobody: 2:55pm On Aug 11, 2009
@obimbisi
Gud to kw that I'm not alone in this.
@ all
thanks for ur contribution, pls keep them coming.
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 11, 2009
@obimbisi
Gud to kw that I'm not alone in this.
@ all
thanks for ur contribution, pls keep them coming.
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by oritameta(m): 9:54am On Aug 16, 2009
If you want to improve your writing skills, simply keep writing.

Choose an area that you are passionate about. pour your heart out when you write.
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by AccoPen(m): 5:59pm On Aug 17, 2009
oritameta:

If you want to improve your writing skills, simply keep writing.

Choose an area that you are passionate about. pour your heart out when you write.

The above said it all. You learn how to swim by swimming; how to drive by driving; how to walk by walking. The principle is not different with writing.

Don't let go your pen because you have not been able to put a word on paper after thinking for 2 hours. It's always difficult to start. When you start, you'll find it difficult to stop. One thing you have to take out of this is, don't let go the pen. Use it. Even if it means writting and rewriting English alphabets. We are all writing because we are still learning how to write.

1 Like

Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by manmustwac(m): 6:05pm On Aug 17, 2009
am also trying to improve my writing skills myself. You have to read plenty of different newspapers and books and practice writing everyday about 3 times a day.
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by cisse7575(m): 11:35pm On Aug 17, 2009
Crystal25,

You have come to right channel. And everyone here had told you the gospel truth. Being a creative writer require a lot of work. There is clear difference between A novel and a very good Novel. You want to be a writer Eh Be a reader first. Read anything that comes your way. Read anytime, anywhere. In fact, you have to read like mad. YES!!! READ LIKE MAD FIRST!!!

Then you may start writing by dividing your writing into 5 minutes writing segments. As you explore your personal creative writing path, one of the most important and interesting things that you’ll learn is that the writing world is a lot bigger than you ever thought. Indeed, most people can probably only name 3 or 4 different genres of writing; probably remembering, as best as they can, a recent trip to the bookstore. Yet the world of writing warmly embraces hundreds of different genres and sub-genres; and each one has its own theme, environment, and culture. It can take years for a creative writer to even explore a portion of this vast territory.

For some creative writers, the fact that there are so many different writing styles is somewhat daunting. For you, however, it should be inspiring. You should thrill at the thought of exploring different styles of writing, experimenting with them, playing in them, and carving out your own unique universe of words and ideas. Without doubt, some of the most creative works of creative writing have come from the fusion or synergy of different genres of writing.

What you should never feel is stuck inside your creative writing niche. For example, if you’re toiling away writing short stories and feel no life, and no energy in what you’re doing, then this is your wake-up call to investigate new genres and styles. Go to the bookstore and enter a section that you’ve never been in before; perhaps it will be historical fiction, or maybe romance. Explore these worlds to see how they’re landscaped, and how you can take from, or add to, the world that you see and feel.

All great creative writers are lifelong students of the craft; and this means knowing more than just about adjectives and dangling participles (which, indeed, some creative writers deliberately ignore). Great creative writers appreciate and respect all forms of writing, even if they concentrate on one or two to earn their living.

So make it your habit, as of today, to become a student of other creative writing styles. By doing this, you’ll not only add depth to your writing; you’ll add depth to yourself. And in a sense, that’s what creative writing is all about: going deeper.

There is a good link for you to get motivated and be a good creative writer. go to www.writeyournovel.biz.ly I bought the package at a very VERY and VERY cheap price for myself as well, and it has turned me into a writing machine. lolsmiley
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by ladman(m): 4:11pm On Aug 18, 2009
i think u should find a style you are comfortable with , and find out how to get better with that style. no matter what, do not stop writing, that is the first rule if u must improve.
you can also  check out for writing blogs online , they are very helpful.
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by xdawn(m): 6:34am On Sep 21, 2016
I really wanna learn so fast. I believe there is hope in insight
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by Nobody: 12:49pm On Mar 28, 2019
I would recommend you this site https://persuasivepapers.com/ to improve your writing skill.
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by Tajio5: 5:38pm On Dec 21, 2021
If you like to buy an essay writing service or custom writing then you can visit here and https://bestproductlists.com/best-essay-writing-service-review-getting-top-quality-essays amazing option which will fulfill your all the requirements whichever you might have it though.
Re: Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills by Lany1: 10:05pm On Dec 22, 2021
Jerry Jenkins, a writer who has written almost 200 books said, "Writers are readers. Good writers are good readers. Great writers are great readers."

Aside from that, the best way to build your writing skills is by writing consistently.

But... You shouldn't just write, you need to learn the basics of writing. I can recommend some courses for you if you would like...

The two foundations to building your writing skills are reading and writing.

Some writers argue that you should read more and write less.

I would say, read more and write more.

Never stop the two.

Reading teaches you how to write; writing teaches you how to write better.

But don't forget, take a basic writing course, it is important.

Cheers to your success✌

Paul Wealth

You can connect with me on Whatsapp:

(1) (Reply)

~the Game~ / Writers Make Money, Readers Too..get In Here / Looking For Passport Of Mallam Ilia Epub Or Pdf

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.