Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,647 members, 7,809,443 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever (23123 Views)

Top 15 Things We Used To Do In 80's/90's We Do No More / Growing Up In Nigeria: This Is How Life Was In The 90’s Vs. How Life Is Today / If You Were Born In The 90's Good But If You Weren't... (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Eeroh95(m): 4:56pm On Mar 28, 2016
Not a good time to post this kind of things nah..... You don make me lose appetite for this amala and ewedu now
Isakaba sha......nah dere 9ja confuse me for their films last
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by onyxo76(m): 4:57pm On Mar 28, 2016
Very on point but let's drag in 1988 to 1990 as well. Pacesetters novels hardly chase etc were in vogue, punk haircut with multiple waves, the music was hype and mehn the house parties were something else. Going to misic studios to record Dr dre etc. The movies nko? Juice, jasons lyrics, mission impossible etc, even the chick's were well behaved with their multi colored dresses... that was da baddest decade man.
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by sunday2012(m): 5:07pm On Mar 28, 2016
siegfried99:
As in ehn grin
power supply was on point. I remeber having crocker fish in the freezer for weeks instead of oku eko or alaran (titus) fish that as now turn to rich men fish. All sort of things in the freezer bc u are sure of having light to preserve them. I love 9os
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by ezelos(m): 5:54pm On Mar 28, 2016
The unforgettable experience of the 90s is not complete without the evergreen cartoons:Voltron, G-force, Thundersub, superted, Danger Mouse, Tarsan, Fraggle Rock, Muppet babies, muppet show,etc. And others like Robin of Sherwood, Vision on, Doctor who, Sesame street, Depsey and makepeace, Night rider, hawai five o, footstep, etc. I damn miss the 90s!
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by kanaleke(m): 6:30pm On Mar 28, 2016
good memories
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Nobody: 6:52pm On Mar 28, 2016
Fiwasayo:

My dear,forget suya sef,just write letter and await your response grin
Baby Fiwasayo, ur the swetiest and pretiest thing I've seen this month.
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by GreatManBee: 7:53pm On Mar 28, 2016
UrennaNkoli:
I was opportuned to have a taste of the 80's and 90's and I must confess the 90's still remains the best ever. In fact, anytime I remember the 90's , I feel nostalgic and wish I could roll back the hands of time grin. Many will argue that the 80's was the best decade ever, some will tell you its the 70's, some will go for the 60's, some the 50's some will even go for the 2000's grin. For me , the 90's beats these decades hands down and here goes my reasons...

THE MUSIC
The 90's was no doubt the era of good and splendid music. From hiphop to rap to soul and even rock. Just have a look at foreign masterpiece like Snoop Dogg's who am I (Whats my name), The notorious BIG Juicy, Dr dre's (Still dre), Lauryn Hill's Doo Woop ( That thang) . These were classic songs I still even listen to till today. Even coming back home to songs like Seyi Sodunmu's Love me jeje, to the Fela Kuti's, Iyogogo and many more. Unlike the crap kids listen to today grin.. I mean the davido's wizkid or wizboy whatever his name his , sean tizzle, olamide who sings like nothing but a danfo thug... Music is honestly what it ought to be and what it used to be.

The politics
Oh this was a great era of politics both home and abroad. You turn on your transistor only to hear of a coup attempted by Major Gideon Orka, or one by Gen Sani Abacha, or the MKO Abiola saga and lots more. Newspaper were more fun to read then, any beer palour you go then, it was 90% sure it will be politics they are arguing about grin. Unlike today, all we read on the news is about an accident that happened on and expressway or Buhari travelling to china for one meeting grin, Obasanjo this, yar' adua that. Politics is going down the drain in today's Nigeria. Even crossing boarders and going foreign, you hear of the Rodney King verdict and L.A. riots tear the nation apart, OJ Simpson chase, Bill Clinton, and thousands more. Comm'on , this was an era that can never be rivaled .

The Movies
Titanic, The good fellas, The lion king, con air, brave heart, dumb and dumber, My own private Idaho, white men can't jump, Billie Madison... Time can't just permit me to mention them all. Even Nigerian movies were classical then. I still have collection of movies like living in bondage, Nneka the pretty serpent, blood money, issakaba, domitila and lots more. Today, I am extremely ashamed of Nollywood as it can be very embarrassing to watch. All they do now is knockbusters with little funds with the aim of making useless profit. You see films in Nollywood of today like spidergirl[img]http://2.bp..com/-l6Hz7fw876c/VcnOFXAU0QI/AAAAAAAAAP4/0t007qTIN8Q/s320/spider%2Bgirl.jpg[/img] grin,. I recently saw a movie one day titled ''I Want To Suck Your Blood''. I really laughed out loud. Nollywood is going down the drain.

The Fashion
Nothing just beats the fashion of the 90's. From the Alexander McQueen spring of 1997 to the Azzedine Alaïa shows of 1991 to calvin klein spring 1994 to the Balenciaga spring. The afro hair styles people carry about just blended with the atmosphere. Even here in Nigeria, fashion was at its peak and its best. People like Miss Sade Thomas, the great fashion designer were awesome .

The Education
You can't argue with me that the quality of education of this era wasn't at its best. Although I must confess this started from era beyond. Today, we see young Nigerians wriggling their way through the university just to earn a degree. Many parents don't even care about their children's future anymore. They rather prefer to see them in the streets hawking pepper and okra and make money for them .

The Technology
The 90's really was an era of technology that really changed our lives for good. These technologies really layed the platform for today's technology From the walkman, to the nintendo's gameboy, to kids cruising around in barbie jeeps to pagers (I honestly prefer this to cell phones grin) also, who will ever forget the ever green play station 1, Apples Imac G3 Comm' on,

The Sports
The 90's was obviously an era of great sport moments. From basketball, to cricket, to boxing , athletics etc Who will ever forget the '94 olympics where Nigeria clinched gold, soccer for example also saw the establishment of many great players like Gheorghe Hagi, Rivaldo, Ze roberto, Van Basten, lotar Mathaus, Baggio, Ronaldo, Figo, Romario and lots more. Even on our home turf, we had the likes of yekini, Kanu George Finidi and co. They made football ore fun to watch unlike the Mikels, Iwobi's of today

The Slang
The 90's was an er of slangs. I just can mention them all.... grin 'Sup, b Bangin'/Slammin Crib ,Bama ,Ghetto, Shiznit, Whassup...Time just can't permit me to mention them all.

I tasted both the 80's and 90's and I must confess its just the best decade ever. Far better than the 80's, 70's 60's 50's and beyond. Even better than the 2000's for our newer generation of kids grin

Feel free to add yours.

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Pdizzle(m): 8:05pm On Mar 28, 2016
90's was bang, remember going to play football after school and my whole peeps be looking for me. Those bros in the uni be like lords to us, rocking everywhere with mad aluta. Damn.
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Veektoria(f): 8:13pm On Mar 28, 2016
chai.. Good old days! Why didn't I come a lil earlier sef embarassed

Well, I'm here now, I'll tell the stories of 2k later cheesy
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by jayriginal: 9:39pm On Mar 28, 2016
UrennaNkoli:
I was opportuned to have a taste of the 80's and 90's and I must confess the 90's still remains the best ever. In fact, anytime I remember the 90's , I feel nostalgic and wish I could roll back the hands of time grin. Many will argue that the 80's was the best decade ever, some will tell you its the 70's, some will go for the 60's, some the 50's some will even go for the 2000's grin. For me , the 90's beats these decades hands down and here goes my reasons...

THE MUSIC
The 90's was no doubt the era of good and splendid music. From hiphop to rap to soul and even rock. Just have a look at foreign masterpiece like Snoop Dogg's who am I (Whats my name), The notorious BIG Juicy, Dr dre's (Still dre), Lauryn Hill's Doo Woop ( That thang) . These were classic songs I still even listen to till today. Even coming back home to songs like Seyi Sodunmu's Love me jeje, to the Fela Kuti's, Iyogogo and many more. Unlike the crap kids listen to today grin.. I mean the davido's wizkid or wizboy whatever his name his , sean tizzle, olamide who sings like nothing but a danfo thug... Music is honestly what it ought to be and what it used to be.

The politics
Oh this was a great era of politics both home and abroad. You turn on your transistor only to hear of a coup attempted by Major Gideon Orka, or one by Gen Sani Abacha, or the MKO Abiola saga and lots more. Newspaper were more fun to read then, any beer palour you go then, it was 90% sure it will be politics they are arguing about grin. Unlike today, all we read on the news is about an accident that happened on and expressway or Buhari travelling to china for one meeting grin, Obasanjo this, yar' adua that. Politics is going down the drain in today's Nigeria. Even crossing boarders and going foreign, you hear of the Rodney King verdict and L.A. riots tear the nation apart, OJ Simpson chase, Bill Clinton, and thousands more. Comm'on , this was an era that can never be rivaled .

The Movies
Titanic, The good fellas, The lion king, con air, brave heart, dumb and dumber, My own private Idaho, white men can't jump, Billie Madison... Time can't just permit me to mention them all. Even Nigerian movies were classical then. I still have collection of movies like living in bondage, Nneka the pretty serpent, blood money, issakaba, domitila and lots more. Today, I am extremely ashamed of Nollywood as it can be very embarrassing to watch. All they do now is knockbusters with little funds with the aim of making useless profit. You see films in Nollywood of today like spidergirl[img]http://2.bp..com/-l6Hz7fw876c/VcnOFXAU0QI/AAAAAAAAAP4/0t007qTIN8Q/s320/spider%2Bgirl.jpg[/img] grin,. I recently saw a movie one day titled ''I Want To Suck Your Blood''. I really laughed out loud. Nollywood is going down the drain.

The Fashion
Nothing just beats the fashion of the 90's. From the Alexander McQueen spring of 1997 to the Azzedine Alaïa shows of 1991 to calvin klein spring 1994 to the Balenciaga spring. The afro hair styles people carry about just blended with the atmosphere. Even here in Nigeria, fashion was at its peak and its best. People like Miss Sade Thomas, the great fashion designer were awesome .

The Education
You can't argue with me that the quality of education of this era wasn't at its best. Although I must confess this started from era beyond. Today, we see young Nigerians wriggling their way through the university just to earn a degree. Many parents don't even care about their children's future anymore. They rather prefer to see them in the streets hawking pepper and okra and make money for them .

The Technology
The 90's really was an era of technology that really changed our lives for good. These technologies really layed the platform for today's technology From the walkman, to the nintendo's gameboy, to kids cruising around in barbie jeeps to pagers (I honestly prefer this to cell phones grin) also, who will ever forget the ever green play station 1, Apples Imac G3 Comm' on,

The Sports
The 90's was obviously an era of great sport moments. From basketball, to cricket, to boxing , athletics etc Who will ever forget the '94 olympics where Nigeria clinched gold, soccer for example also saw the establishment of many great players like Gheorghe Hagi, Rivaldo, Ze roberto, Van Basten, lotar Mathaus, Baggio, Ronaldo, Figo, Romario and lots more. Even on our home turf, we had the likes of yekini, Kanu George Finidi and co. They made football ore fun to watch unlike the Mikels, Iwobi's of today

The Slang
The 90's was an er of slangs. I just can mention them all.... grin 'Sup, b Bangin'/Slammin Crib ,Bama ,Ghetto, Shiznit, Whassup...Time just can't permit me to mention them all.

I tasted both the 80's and 90's and I must confess its just the best decade ever. Far better than the 80's, 70's 60's 50's and beyond. Even better than the 2000's for our newer generation of kids grin

Feel free to add yours.

Nostalgia!

Still Dre wasn't 90's though.
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by fio(m): 9:41pm On Mar 28, 2016
Today marks another era in the history of our civilization. Born in nigeria, kwara state i have designed the one and only teleporter; can travel through space and time. Guess who is here with me..... "stephen hawking", we will emback on the journey to discouver deep mystries of our universe. And on my way back to the beginning i will warn bush not to invade iraq, prevent our civil war, advice awolowo, bello and azik to work for collective interest, warn the world to attack hitler before 1939....and of course enjoy a nice moment in the 90s.
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by jayriginal: 9:44pm On Mar 28, 2016
MakeQuickCash:
I smell FP from lalasticlala..
The girls... in the 80's and 90's you could get any girl of your choice with just a handful of suya. In todays 2000's, if you never carry her go KFC, cinema, beach or buy beta phone or ride for her she nor go gree grin.. The music, fashion tech , nightlife of the 90's was so on point..

Omo, when I go school if you get 14 inch TV and a three loader, you will drown in püssy.
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by mamawin(f): 10:04pm On Mar 28, 2016
Btruth:
1993. A year to remember for me.
abegi yan me tory

1 Like

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by HomeOfMe(f): 10:15pm On Mar 28, 2016
There was no terrorism,no pervasion,no boko haram;pls bring back the 90s
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by xperia626: 11:03pm On Mar 28, 2016
may God bless u bro. 4 dis luvly put/ryt up...90s re greats nd sweets
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Drabrah(m): 11:07pm On Mar 28, 2016
Op, '94 was not an Olympic yr. Twas (Atlanta) '96 where we won gold wt d "dream team" of d likes of Kanu.
'94 was a World cup yr wt d classical Rashidi Yekini goal cum celebration.
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by HCF(m): 11:08pm On Mar 28, 2016
@OP... What about the Nigerian TV Series of those days (from the 80s),such as 'cockrow at dawn', Behind the clouds, to the 90s, Checkmate, Ripples ... Village headmaster,..and the TV adverts?..wow!!, OMO advert, JOY Girl,for Joy Soap, (hardly would u see naked bodies,yet the messages would be clear), Thermocool refrigerators advert nko?, (The man go dey use stick increase size of refrigerators like magic grin , Panadol nko?, "if e no be panadol e no fit be like Panadol",... All of this would make u stay glued to the TV...and the only TV station airing most of these programmes was NTA, which would start transmission by 4pm.... grin

And the Foreign artistes of those days, Barry white,M.J, Whitney Houston (of blessed memory), Tina Turner, Tracy Chapman,Phil collins, Mark Morrison, the groups; Foreigner, Smokie, Boy-2-Men, Boyzone, Backstreet Boys, etc...rocked into the 90s...and in Nigeria, Evy Edna Ogholi, Funmi Adams, Lagbaja, Obey, KSA, Oliver de Coque, Bright chimezie, Dan Maraya, Jos... etc made the 80s to mid-nineties one to always cherish.. wink
...Before i forget, the best Political jingle of all time, MKO Abiola's SDP jingle was like d National anthem in 1993...'MKO is our man o..'......Hmmmm...how time flies.....
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 11:45pm On Mar 28, 2016
90s sweet ooo.... I could remember the way Rashidi Yekini celebrated his first goal as well as scoring Nigeria's first goal in world cup and the way Amokachi danced when he scored his first goal. That time they were the talk of the town kids wanted to be like them.
During USA 94, we are always eager to watch the match despite playing in the midnight, Nigerian time.

You forgot to add telenovelas like secret of the sand, the rich also cry our own checkmate (starring RMD, Segun Arinze, Ego boyo, Bimbo Manuel and so on).

TV programs like speak out, Bournvita brain match, Telematch, Voltron the defender of the universe and many more.

Musicians like, KSA, Orits Williki, Ras kimono, Ebenezer Obey, Ayinde Barrister, Wasiu Ayinde, Junior and Pretty, Daniel Wilson, Stella Monye, the late Tina, Dr Alba representing Nigeria in Diaspora, Majek Fashek, Femi Kuti, Zaaki Adze and many more. They sing good songs be it love songs or Protestant songs.

Games like Sega, Nintendo 64, family com, brick games, gameboy(coloured and white &black) were in vogue back then.

Politics: MKO Abiola was the man if the people, I could remembe the logo of his party SDP, the logo of the party was Nigerian map and a horse was inside the map. People went out in mass to support him. But I was locked at home.
In 1995 about 5 parties were created like CNC, GDM and co during Abacha's regime. I could remember when late Abacha hosted Pope John Paul II in Nigeria. The pontiff pleaded that Abacha should release people he detained in prison.

Thank God am still alive
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 12:20am On Mar 29, 2016
possibilita:
I have to admit,the 90s was great,I might have been a kid then but I still have memory of the ice cream tied in nylon and I also remember when boys wud set their antena to catch the station or movie the next door neighbor are watching,I remember my neighbor that usually plays the super mario game and won't let us in so all we had to do was position our antena and watch it all.I remember Papa Ajasco,grt comedy one is thursday night ppl troop into their houses to watch d programme,gone are d days when superstory(we are nothing but pencil in the hand of the creator) was a programme to watch now they just pick any nollywood movie and rename it superstory,I remember so many thingS that. Can't mention,I even remember when anybody that does makeup is knwn as a prostitute.KUDDOS TO THE 90s.and don't forget when Kerosine was N40,I had to hawk it through Rainbow town lol.
Haha.... Chairman, that is sender. Anything your neighbour watches on TV you would watch it in your own room. Did you remember this TV station, Cabletel (Family channel) that station do show us good movies and broadcast CNN news live. Is only rich people that could afford DSTV back then.
Time flies
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by alex406(m): 1:44am On Mar 29, 2016
So on point. 1998 When God slapped life off our dictator and ushered in democracy. Click like if you know what I'm talking about.

1 Like

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by tomsingun4(m): 4:44am On Mar 29, 2016
Jazz,kenny G
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Culiarme(f): 8:27am On Mar 29, 2016
Truth, nothing beats the 90's. Best decade
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by maestrodavy(m): 8:28am On Mar 29, 2016
well said op...ih waz great den....waz born late 90s tho n didn't xperience all dis..buh I do hear stories abt dem...ur pointz are correct d fashion sense den was great...ladies look cool....music den were agreeable 2 d ear buh I can tell u..we also ave good music nw..Asa is a good example...buh as 4 technolgy 90s is no way beta...
.abi gameboi fe ku danu....wey psp dey.............adios!!!
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by Btruth: 5:57pm On Mar 29, 2016
mamawin:
abegi yan me tory
lol. Remember SDP, NRC and stepping aside thing? or rather, June 12th?
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by mamawin(f): 5:16pm On Apr 07, 2016
Btruth:
lol. Remember SDP, NRC and stepping aside thing? or rather, June 12th?
I remember very well. I came to Oshogbo from Yabatech, just to vote. it was my first election. all that happened after still fresh in my memory.

1 Like

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by dfrost: 7:42am On Apr 09, 2016
ezelos:
The unforgettable experience of the 90s is not complete without the evergreen cartoons:Voltron, G-force, Thundersub, superted, Danger Mouse, Tarsan, Fraggle Rock, Muppet babies, muppet show,etc. And others like Robin of Sherwood, Vision on, Doctor who, Sesame street, Depsey and makepeace, Night rider, hawai five o, footstep, etc. I damn miss the 90s!

Don't forget Moonlighting, The Thing (Big ring do your thing)
Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by dfrost: 7:45am On Apr 09, 2016
HCF:

...Before i forget, the best Political jingle of all time, MKO Abiola's SDP jingle was like d National anthem in 1993...'MKO is our man o..'......Hmmmm...how time flies.....

MKO, MKO, MKO, action
Abiola, Abiola, Abiola, progress

grin

1 Like

Re: Why The 90's Is The Best Decade Ever by ezelos(m): 2:56pm On Apr 09, 2016
dfrost:

Don't forget Moonlighting, The Thing (Big ring do your thing)
. Yeah, I still listen to the theme songs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Anja Ringgren Loven Honored In Denmark / Man Sleeping Inside The Boot Of A Moving Car / Is Being Quiet A Sign Of Weakness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.