Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

Path To Industrializing Nigeria (The Forced Growth Model) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Path To Industrializing Nigeria (The Forced Growth Model) (2939 Views)

Coalition For Nigeria – The Urgency Of Now! By Donald Duke / Under Jonathan, Dora Akunyili Was Forced To Work While Dying- Lauretta Onochie / Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Path To Industrializing Nigeria (The Forced Growth Model) by mikolo80: 12:20am On Mar 31, 2016
1andonly:
Hey guys nice comments but my problem is that we do a lot of pontification myself included.

That was why I needed a model. When we have a plan then we can try to force the matter. My plan generically speaking is to forcefully industrialize and re-educate Nigeria. I have many plans I need other ideologues but not just utopian ideas.

Who says we can't cause the revolution that would set Nigeria on the right path. The youths will support us for sure and most importantly we will have a plan that we will be willing to put our heads on the block for. Does APC have a plan? I daresay no! PDP? a resounding no.

Enough of being arm chair analysts and complaining till the cows come home. I say we do something about it! In Nigeria it doesn't take much to become a legend. There is way too many wrongs in the country. Right one or two and there you go.

We can moan all we want but the status quo will perpetuate if we don't do anything. Nigeria should be flying high. We should be competing with China and the rest of the world. We have the talent, the resources the resilence.

I just can't sit back and watch anymore. I have grown tired. I can't wait for them to go. They never will! The will ruin our collective future. They have no plan. Those that do will never get in.

There must be someone reading this and saying to himself this is exactly my feeling. Yes we need to rally ourselves. Have a plan and take it from there.

Says Lincoln: "The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country."

Cheers!!!
Oya mowu form coop slash political Caucus and takeover
Re: Path To Industrializing Nigeria (The Forced Growth Model) by 1andonly: 1:03pm On Mar 31, 2016
Education is very key in this model.

Snippets of policies to revamp the educational system:

Create a pool of graduates who will teach English, Math, Physics and Further Math in all Federal Secondary Schools. This will be an elite crop with high standard and a very competitive salary on a renewable 2 year contract. The minister of Education will be the best performing Secondary School Principal in a Federal Government school and not a career politician who doesn't know jack about the system.

A concerted effort will be made to reverse the meteoric decline in at least 6 Federal Universities in the 6 geo political zones.

We have to plans to create a silicon valley in Nigeria by massively teaching street urchins smiley aged 12 -16 how to program Java, Javascript, C++ etc

Remember this is a FORCED GROWTH MODEL
Re: Path To Industrializing Nigeria (The Forced Growth Model) by Nobody: 1:49pm On Mar 31, 2016
I have said it before on this forum and I will say it again... we don't need any model, what we need is enabling laws to encourage and force a 'buy made in Nigeria'.

Like I said then, let's take the textile industry for example. It's been moribund in years and remember it was the highest employer of labour in the North at a time. Now what if there is a law mandating ALL government civil/public servants aside lawyer, doctors, engineers (those professions that require specific uniforms) to buy and wear made in Nigeria fabrics? What happens is that the textile industry bounces back, jobs for tailor, cotton fields are back and they can even export our fabrics.

The large forex being wasted on importation of foreign wears will be reduced.

Now talking about entertainment, imagine if there is a revival of our local league? Imagine over 50, 000 people watching a match between kano pillars and ifeanyi uba fc? Well it's feasible an possible. Imagine the money that will be accrued to federal and state government? Imagine the millions from TV rights? I have a well articulated road map for that to happen

1 Like

Re: Path To Industrializing Nigeria (The Forced Growth Model) by 1andonly: 2:19pm On Mar 31, 2016
tobimillar:
I have said it before on this forum and I will say it again... we don't need any model, what we need is enabling laws to encourage and force a 'buy made in Nigeria'.

Like I said then, let's take the textile industry for example. It's been moribund in years and remember it was the highest employer of labour in the North at a time. Now what if there is a law mandating ALL government civil/public servants aside lawyer, doctors, engineers (those professions that require specific uniforms) to buy and wear made in Nigeria fabrics? What happens is that the textile industry bounces back, jobs for tailor, cotton fields are back and they can even export our fabrics.

The large forex being wasted on importation of foreign wears will be reduced.

Now talking about entertainment, imagine if there is a revival of our local league? Imagine over 50, 000 people watching a match between kano pillars and ifeanyi uba fc? Well it's feasible an possible. Imagine the money that will be accrued to federal and state government? Imagine the millions from TV rights? I have a well articulated road map for that to happen

I find it difficult comprehending why you have an issue with the word 'model'. A dictionary would be quite handy you know or just maybe you are the scatter gun type in which case I can understand.

Why does a country like Nigeria not need a well articulated guideline for growth, do tell sir?!

I have written this before but I will reiterate: your suggestion is passive if you are not willing to push for its implementation. Laws, laws and laws. How convenient for you to sit and wait for someone to pass the law for you. No they will pass the social media bill! For the records, folks don't even abide by the existing ones. Let's even assume the senate does not stonewall your bill how do you intend to sell such a law in a democratic country- btw all these questions brings up a process, a train of thought this is what a model is my dear friend.

Though I don't think what you suggest is feasible and it is equally not right to tell people what to wear.

In my model, coughs, we can implement this kind of policy with tariffs. So you are not passing any law or telling people what to wear but you leave them with no choice.

Savvy?
Re: Path To Industrializing Nigeria (The Forced Growth Model) by 1andonly: 9:53pm On Mar 31, 2016
From the early feelers I get, the budget remains largely unchanged.

Let me give a little background. I first studied fiscal policy in the year 2009. I took a look at the budget which to be honest does not need one to study fiscal policy to interpret but alas it was filled with dross. I was literally crying.

Fast forward 7 years and I am a better analyst, having undergone some arcane if not unnecessary training in Fiscal policy. I take another look since its a new government though I had my reservations but that budget was eerily similar to what I saw as an undergraduate.

There was an uproar, the president said it was padded and they made some adjustments but even though I have not seen the appropriation bill, I hear it is largely unchanged. I do not need to go through the details of the budget as some better analysts than myself have done that but what pains me is that there is no vision or hope in that budget. How can you not only borrow to fund recurrent expenditure but your capital projects are full of crap.

We need our own country. I'd give you a free advise Nigeria cannot industrialize the way we are going. The budget that this model advocates has 80% allocated to serious capital project which you can logically borrow for.

For my friend who does not like models, in Economics, there are many growth models. Like mentioned before these are arcane and only for Western class room experience and academic papers. There is the Swan and Solow Model (Neo Classical Growth model very popular presently), there is the Harrod Domar model and there is the Keynesian Growth Model but all these are unnecessary and cannot be applied to a real economy-may the US comes close but for Nigeria it is a big no.

We have to get out of this mess. Me and you. We need a clear and defined path to growth. To be frank as an agrarian economy, there is little room for expansive growth. You need capital. My model is basically a time path for vigorous capital accumulation to take Nigeria away from subsistence agriculture to real industrialization. This in my opinion as a pragmatic Macroeconomist should be theme of debate by our politicians.

This was why I was interested in neither Buhari nor Jonathan.

Look at this way, corruption is endemic in the Nigerian society. A person votes for Buhari on Saturday and on Monday goes to pick up his international passport that he paid upwards of 27,000 as against the 12,000 real price. The anti-corruption fight was dead on arrival! I interview a few citizens and I daresay this view will most likely be shared by most reading this and they think a government that does some work can steal. Oh my word! What a loopsided view. A governor tares the road and we sing to high heaven. Dasuki is charged and we clap and nothing comes off it afterwards.

The budget fiasco has come and gone and no one is protesting any more yet it was hardly changed. You think this is a winning team? I think not. You think this will take us to glory days? I think not. We need to become a producing nation.

Even though my professors might think my model is a poor man's imitation of what Keynes will do they will readily admit we need to aggressively accumulate capital.

As I am constrained for time I will sign off with this:

"The sense of obligation to continue is present in all of us. A duty to strive is the duty of us all. I felt a call to that duty”- A. Lincoln

Remember this is a FORCED GROWTH MODEL.
Re: Path To Industrializing Nigeria (The Forced Growth Model) by 1andonly: 10:28pm On Mar 31, 2016
Do you hear the people sing?
Singing the song of angry men?
It is the music of the people
Who will not be slaves again!
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes.

Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with me?
Beyond the barricade
Is there a world you long to see?

Then join in the fight
That will give you the right to be free!

Will you give all you can give
So that our banner may advance
Some will fall and some will live
Will you stand up and take your chance?
The blood of the martyrs
Will water the meadows of Nigeria!

Do you hear the people sing
Lost in the valley of the night?
It is the music of a people
Who are climbing to the light.

For the wretched of the earth
There is a flame that never dies.
Even the darkest night will end
And the sun will rise.

They will live again in freedom
In the garden of the Lord.
They will walk behind the plough-share,
They will put away the sword.
The chain will be broken
And all men will have their reward.

Somewhere beyond the barricade
Say, do you hear the distant drums?
It is the future that they bring
When tomorrow comes!

Somewhere beyond the barricade
Say, do you hear the distant drums?
It is the future that they bring
When tomorrow comes...
Tomorrow comes!

Les miserables...
Re: Path To Industrializing Nigeria (The Forced Growth Model) by 1andonly: 11:29am On Apr 01, 2016
Hi all,

I have some articles and papers for anyone interested in the above discourse to read.

We must industrialize Nigeria. In doing so we will copy from what happened in South East Asia.

Try to read these documents so you can understand my points. My motivation was built from the below policies.

http://www.icapitaleducation.biz/index.php?section=5&sub=15k

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ian-fletcher/japan-the-forgotten-prote_b_850269.html

http://www.mmtimes.com/index.php/business/11458-tackling-the-infant-industry-debate.html

If Japan did it, South Korea did it and China has done it, then we can do it.

PS I have been trying without success to upload this file https://www.academia.edu/3727668/Roles_of_export-led_policies_in_developing_automobile_industry_in_South_Korea.

You might want to register and download it yourself. It is an interesting read.
Re: Path To Industrializing Nigeria (The Forced Growth Model) by 1andonly: 8:55pm On Apr 01, 2016
UPDATE:

The first 100 days into office, the primary targets amongst other things include

1) mapping out a proper rail network in Nigeria (upgrade on the existing rail network) with the help of the Chinese who are now masters in rail and train technology. You know one thing I find funny? When Caucasians conquered any land, one of the first things they did was network that area properly by rail. Unfortunately, the present rail network in Nigeria was constructed by them and has had no update. For me 80% of the current challenges we have on our roads is because of over usage. The rail network will knock off 60% of the pressure on the roads and will be efficient such that most people will prefer to travel by rail and also transport their goods by rail.

2) Focus on Ajaokuta steel company. We will start mining that deposit in Ajaokuta for real.

3) We will look at coal as an alternative source of energy. This is an unclean source I know but who cares for now?

4) Education. We roll out our graduate employment scheme in education and invest heavily in Research and Development institutes.

1 Like

Re: Path To Industrializing Nigeria (The Forced Growth Model) by 1andonly: 10:08pm On Apr 04, 2016
Hey folks,

It's been quiet here. I don't want to make further updates.

I need someone/people to counter my views logically. Suggest better ways we can improve on things or on the above suggestions. Let us dream!

I don't want bland suggestions like pass this and that bill for example because that is clearly not working.

Example you can tell me why the present rail infrastructure or stakeholders will prevent us from building a robust railway system in 100 days. So we can tweak what we need to do to tackle it. Someone told me people like Dangote and the intercity transporters will oppose it and my suggestion was that the government will give them a 10 year lease to handle these coaches once completed.

I am a bit perturbed by something. Is it that we just love complaining and fighting ethnic wars than contributing to something even if for intellectual gratification?

Let's reason together. Let's make our country work. I am not proud to be a Nigeria with chronic issues and I don't have the patience to wait. They say patience without hope makes the mind sick. I don't know what I should hope on that is. My school of thought does not believe fighting corruption is enough in this country least of all without setting up independent institutions.
Re: Path To Industrializing Nigeria (The Forced Growth Model) by mikolo80: 4:07pm On May 14, 2016
trillville:

Lol
Have you ever heard of WTO? there is a limit to which the Nigerian government can implement protectionists policies.

we opt out of raw deal. e no kuma pay us

What makes you believe that the Chinese company that makes generator sets will set up a factory in Nigeria simply because we impose tariffs on imported sets? What if the company is Chinese government owned and its main purpose is to create jobs for Chinese people?
look for small private company
Even if the company were not government run and chooses to set up a factory here, the company will have to import almost all the parts it would need to assemble the sets, making the final price of the sets much higher than it is today. Although I am not am economist, I do know that a higher price leads to a decrease in the quantity demanded of a given good. So you are asking a Chinese company to set up shop here to make less profits than it is currently making.
imported parts and imported finished products. which will be cheaper plus very cheap labour here (tis all about job creation and tech transfer)
Nigeria has a great economic model, Capitalism. Capitalism has proven over the years to be the surest path to prosperity and sustenance of that prosperity. Nigeria is also a federal democratic state, which is also a good political model. What prevents Nigeria from super growth is simply lack of political will to do what must be done, reduce excessive waste in our system.
when we suffer enough we will arrange ourself
Most countries have no income from natural resources such as crude oil. These countries rely solely on taxes finance infrastructure that support industrialization such as power plants and roads. Nigeria collects taxes from its citizens and at the same time gets revenue from oil sales, yet we lack basic infrastructure like pipe borne water because over 80 percent of governments revenue is spent on paying salaries and allowances.
see above
The oil revenue is meant to benefit all Nigerians- alive, dead, yet to be born-, all Nigerians equally, and not a fraction called public and civil servants. This goal can only be achieved through mass infrastructure development. This is the fight, the youths must fight. This is the course you should be battling for.
I doubt we have suffered enough
Nigeria doesn't need any country's money or technical skills. The first power plant built in Nigeria was in the 1920's. The U.S. started mass development of power plants in the 20's. Today, we struggle to produce 4000 megawatts and America is moving head on into the digital age.

we never suffer reach

(1) (2) (Reply)

Folly!!! Ijaw Goes With Igbo To Israel. / BREAKING: Malam Ibrahim Shekarau Officially Defects From PDP To APC / Kwara State Will Never Bow To Tinubu, Saraki Vows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.