Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,922 members, 7,817,697 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta (2048 Views)

Ebonyi Youths Charter 911 For Relocation Of Fulanis That Arrived At Mid Night / Kano Igbos Meet Ganduje, Reject Call For Relocation Of Fulani From South (Pics) / Fani-kayode Reacts To Call For Relocation Of Herdsmen From Southern Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 07, 2017
The decision taken the the House of Representative to reject the decision to force oil companies to relocate their headquarters the Niger Delta was the right decision.
From an insider that was born and has lived in Warri most of my life, this are the following reasons:
1)Extortion by youths demanding "development fees" when embarking on any project and demanding jobs they don't have the qualifications for.
2) Kidnapping of oil workers.My father was kidnapped for a week and his closest friend has been kidnapped twice by youths demanding ransom from oil companies.My father resigned and left Warri after he was released by the kidnappers.Said he will never set foot in the Niger Delta again.
3)Communual crisis between Ijaw,Itsekiri and Urhobo.
4)Inadequate infrastructure despite 13% derivation
5)Goverment officials and traditional rulers strong arming oil companies to give them contracts with the threat of disruption of their operations if they don't comply and after been handed the contracts embezzle most of the money and do a shoddy job.

Warri used to have many oil companies such as Shell,Chevron,NNPC,Schlumberger and Halliburton in the 90's and early 2000's with operational and administrative offices but due to the restive nature of the militant youths they divested most of their investment and moved most of their operations out of Warri and other Niger Delta States.

Businesses need a conducive enviroment to thrive and this latest threats by the IYC ,only reinforces their arguments,objections and show the Niger Delta youths have not changed their old habits. The Ijaw Youth Congress is the group mostly responsible for mass exodus,due to their constant extortion of money and threats against oil companies.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by Iamwrath: 6:27pm On May 07, 2017
This is one thread i agree with

Relocation of Oil companies to Niger Delta is a mistake

They all know it , wailers and liepobs , but they are blinded by hate

Soon, there'll be stories of kidnaps all over again

But it's not my business

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by tempest01(m): 6:35pm On May 07, 2017
Who are you?
Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by Nobody: 6:51pm On May 07, 2017
tempest01:
Who are you?
I am Dutch brah
Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by wirinet(m): 6:54pm On May 07, 2017
IAMDUTCHBRAH:
The decision taken the the House of Representative to reject the decision to force oil companies to relocate their headquarters the Niger Delta was the right decision.
From an insider that was born and has lived in Warri most of his life, this are the following reason:
1)Extortion by youths demanding various payments even though they didn't perform any contracts to warrant payments and demanding jobs they did'nt have the qualifications for.
2) Kidnapping of oil workers.My father was kidnapped for a week and his closest friend has been kidnapped twice by youths demanding ransom from oil companies.My father resigned and left Warri after he was released by the kidnappers.Said he will never set foot in Niger Delta.
3)Communual crisis between Ijaw,Itsekiri and Uhrobo.
4)Inadeqaute infrastructure
5)Goverment officials and traditional rulers strong arming forcing oil companies to give them contracts with the threat of disruption if they didn't comply and after been handed the contracts embezzled most of the money and did a shoddy job.
Warri used to have so many companies such as Shell,Chevron,NNPC,Schlumber and Halliburton in the 90's and early 2000's but due to the restive nature of the militants youths they divested their investements and moved most of their operations out of Warri.
Businesses need a conducive enviroment to thrive and this latest threats by the IYC will not convince companies to relocate. The Ijaw Youth Congress is the group mostly responsible for mass exodus,due their extortions and threats against oil companies.

My brother, it is mainly IPOB youths and their supporters who have never seen a drop of crude oil in their life that scream 'our oil" all over the place. We the real indigenes of the oil producing areas ( especially the concerned ones) understand the real problems of the nigerdelta.
I once formed a formidable group here in Lagos to try and tackle the huge poverty and developmental challenges in my village. We wrote a petition to shell to stop giving cash to our community youths and elders but instead use the money to provide basic infrastructures like sandfilling the village ( during rainy season the whole village is waterlogged), providing portable drinking water and building some decent habitable houses. We meet so much hatred and resistance from my community leaders that we were afraid to go home. At the end of the day we let sleeping dogs lie.
I have so much more to tell of my experience in going to carry out some construction jobs in warri, and I am an indigene ( although they see me as Lagos boy). Imagine what non indigenes and foreigners face working in the nigerdelta - both oil and non oil workers.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by Nobody: 7:01pm On May 07, 2017
wirinet:

I once formed a formidable group here in Lagos to try and tackle the huge poverty and developmental challenges in my village. We wrote a petition to shell to stop giving cash to our community youths and elders but instead use the money to provide basic infrastructures like sandfilling the village ( during rainy season the whole village is waterlogged), providing portable drinking water and building some decent habitable houses. We meet so much hatred and resistance from my community leaders that we were afraid to go home. At the end of the day we let sleeping dogs lie.
I have so much more to tell of my experience in going to carry out some construction jobs in warri, and I am an indigene ( although they see me as Lagos boy). Imagine what non indigenes and foreigners face working in the nigerdelta - both oil and non oil workers.
The oil companies wanted to provide the basic amenities such as schools,portable water,recreational centers and hospitals. However,the elders of the communities were always insistent that they wanted only cash paid to them,which they ended up sharing with some of the youth loyal to them.
The Niger Delta youths should hold their corrupt Governors,Local Goverment Chairman and traditional elders responsible for lack of basic amenities . The only thing they are interested is extortion and sharing money,they are not interested in the provision of any infrastructure.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by mightyhaze: 7:01pm On May 07, 2017
Well,what have the nigerdeltans on this forum have to say about this?,....and I don't mean the impostors from west side ,cos we all know the drill cool

Cc tonyebarcanista ikechu1

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:11pm On May 07, 2017
1. Extortion happens everywhere, including Lagos. People that do business in Lagos will testify.

2. Kidnapping and insecurity is everywhere AND not limited to ND or SS. Not just kidnapping, there is also armed robbery and other social vices.

It is the job of the FG and security agencies to provide security for ALL. Protection of life and properties is the PRIMARY responsibility of government.

3. Communal clashes is 70% caused by Oil companies through their evil divide and rule. They will see that a land is under dispute yet they will take money to give one side and that will cause clash. Warri crises was caused by Oil coys.

Ijaw, Urhobo and Itsekiri have been cohabiting for years peacefully until the coming of petrodollar.

ogoni problem is caused by Shell

4. Who is to provide infrastructure? Is it the community that is impoverished and raped by both the government and oil coys? Is it not the responsibility of both the FG and the Oil coys to provide their infrastructure? This is silly...

5. The oil coys know that CSR is their responsibility, yet they cut corners by bribing community Chiefs and government officials so as not to carry out their responsibility. Instead of spending $1 billion on CSR they will bribe village chiefs and government officials with $300 million and pocket the rest. nonsense.

My ONLY argument is that our people should shun militancy and embrace other form of agitation. However, the ND is not less secured than Lagos state.

Nothing justify the refusal to move HQ of Oil Coys and NNPC to ND.

If they are safe to perform operations, they will be safe to live. It's even cheaper for them BTW.

9 Likes

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by Demolaeby: 7:13pm On May 07, 2017
Is it your oil? Why not develop a thread on how to reactivate Ajeokuta steel industry and other sector of the economy. Why the hope of an average Nigerian man is on oil? Can you think another thing apart from oil in Niger delta region

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by Nobody: 7:20pm On May 07, 2017
Demolaeby:
Is it your oil? Why not develop a thread on how to reactivate Ajeokuta steel industry and other sector of the economy. Why the hope of an average Nigerian man is on oil? Can you think another thing apart from oil in Niger delta region
I never claimed it was my oil,but just explained why Warri which had major companies like Shell,Chevron,Schlumberger and Halliburton in the 90's and 2000's divested and left due to the extortion and militant nature of the youths.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by wirinet(m): 7:20pm On May 07, 2017
mightyhaze:
Well,what have the nigerdeltans on this forum have to say about this?,....and I don't mean the impostors from west side ,cos we all know the drill cool

Cc tonyebarcanista ikechu1
I am an original Warri boy, born in the village. My uncles and cousins hold strong positions in both the youth elders communities. My father was very close to the murdered Festus Okotieboh. Tonyebarcanista is not more Nigerdeltan than I.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by vantage001: 7:23pm On May 07, 2017
wirinet:

My brother, it is mainly IPOB youths and their supporters who have never seen a drop of crude oil in their life that scream 'our oil" all over the place. We the real indigenes of the oil producing areas ( especially the concerned ones) understand the real problems of the nigerdelta.
Look at this yoruba infidel.
I no blame you sha. Niger-deltans mumu no be small.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:26pm On May 07, 2017
vantage001:
Look at this *** infidel. I no blame you sha. Niger-deltans mumu no be small.
I think his problem is self hatred
Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:27pm On May 07, 2017
mightyhaze:
Well,what have the nigerdeltans on this forum have to say about this?,....and I don't mean the impostors from **** ,cos we all know the drill cool

Cc tonyebarca.nista
Done
Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by wirinet(m): 7:44pm On May 07, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

I think his problem is self hatred
Are you telling me that you cannot identify with what I am saying?
Please explain what you mean by self hatred. Maybe i see things differently because I am not a politician and do not rely on handouts from politicians to survive. I have done contract jobs all over southern Nigeria, the areas I had the biggest problem was the warri itself and my most pleasurable experience was Ugwashi-Uku.

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by Nobody: 7:46pm On May 07, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
1. Extortion happens everywhere, including Lagos. People that do business in Lagos will testify.

2. Kidnapping and insecurity is everywhere AND not limited to ND or SS. Not just kidnapping, there is also armed robbery and other social vices.

It is the job of the FG and security agencies to provide security for ALL. Protection of life and properties is the PRIMARY responsibility of government.

3. Communal clashes is 70% caused by Oil companies through their evil divide and rule. They will see that a land is under dispute yet they will take money to give one side and that will cause clash. Warri crises was caused by Oil coys.

Ijaw, Urhobo and Itsekiri have been cohabiting for years peacefully until the coming of petrodollar.

4. Who is to provide infrastructure? Is it the community that is impoverished and raped by both the government and oil coys? Is it not the responsibility of both the FG and the Oil coys to provide their infrastructure? This is silly...

5. The oil coys know that CSR is their responsibility, yet they cut corners by bribing community Chiefs and government officials so as not to carry out their responsibility. Instead of spending $1 billion on CSR they will bribe village chiefs and government officials with $300 million and pocket the rest. nonsense.

My ONLY argument is that our people should shun militancy and embrace other form of agitation. However, the ND is not less secured than Lagos state.

If they are safe to perform operations, they will be safe to live. It's even cheaper for them BTW.

1)Extortion against major businesses doesn't happen on the scale that is prevalent in Niger Delta. Go and ask Shell,ExxonMobil,Chevron,NNPC and AGIP how many times youths have come to extort money from them in Lagos or Abuja and threatened fire and brimstone if they did'nt comply
2)Kidnapping in Niger Delta is different because they target is mostly oil workers. The United States and UK and other western countries have issued warning against their nationals travelling to Niger Delta. They issued no such warning for Lagos or Abuja
3) The majority of the communual clashes were over traditional land ownership,but most were instigated due to greed of one tribe wanting to corner the land so as to receive payments from the oil companies. Yes,the oil companies were complicit in some cases,but majority of the clashes,the oil companies were not responsible.
4)The oil companies budget at least $50 million dollars for corporate social responsibility annually to provide hospitals,roads,electricity but the elders and youths insist they only want the money paid to their accounts and use to proceeds to build mansion and buy exotic cars in the major cities of the Niger Delta.Come to Warri and see the small boys in their 20's and early 30's building mansion and buying the most expensive cars.I can show you Tompolo mansion in my estate.
5)The oil companies want peace and to maximise their profits, so they do their part in CSR.It is not their fault Chiefs in oil producing communities insists on collecting cash,instead of having hospitals and schools built for them.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by Justiceleague1: 7:48pm On May 07, 2017
wirinet:

What has ipob got to do with the issue on the floor? Can you be sincere and tell us who,among the 6 geo political zones and individuals of the country,are the main beneficiaries of the crude? Who owns most oli bloc,i bet its the ipob! I pity you.
Again,you want the companies to stop dishing monies to ur leaders and instead,channel such fund to infrastructural development,doesnt that negates the 1st point the op gave for oil firms not to relocate to the niger delta? And are the oil firms now ur govt,to be providing infrastructures? I am from Edo and i hate seeing ppl like u typing thrash.
Op,with the right structures,infrastructures,amenities,security agencies,etc,in place,the oil firms got no problem relocating back to the niger delta. Youths' restiveness there can only be blamed on the fg's negligent and selfish,greedy and tribal attitude towards putting the right structures in place in the niger delta,the goose laying the golden eggs..all these resulted in the proliferation of militants and criminal elements in that zone...i know some cone heads will land here and scream the usual "what have they done with all the derivation money" bulchhit.

5 Likes

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by Justiceleague1: 7:55pm On May 07, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by Nobody: 8:00pm On May 07, 2017
Justiceleague1:

Op,with the right structures,infrastructures,amenities,security agencies,etc,in place,the oil firms got no problem relocating back to the niger delta. Youths' restiveness there can only be blamed on the fg's negligent and selfish,greedy and tribal attitude towards putting the right structures in place in the niger delta,the goose laying the golden eggs..all these resulted in the proliferation of militants and criminal elements in that zone...i know some cone heads will land here and scream the usual "what have they done with all the derivation money" bulchhit.
The Amenities are supposed to be provided by the Niger Delta Governors and local goverment Chairman. Look at the roll call of the Niger Delta leaders Odili,Ibori,Alameishegha,Igbenideion,Sylva,Akpabio,Attah,Uduaghan and Amaechi some of the biggest looters on the planet.

Is it the Federal goverment fault that Niger Delta leaders choose to loot billions of dollars to buy private jets,mansions in Dubai,London and buy exotic cars instead of developing oil producing communities.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by Agumbankembu: 8:02pm On May 07, 2017
Pls when will Oduo miscreants stop shouting Owo mi nda or whatever. Odui miscreants extorting business people in Oduo for Christ sake.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:04pm On May 07, 2017
wirinet:
Are you telling me that you cannot identify with what I am saying?
Please explain what you mean by self hatred. Maybe i see things differently because I am not a politician and do not rely on handouts from politicians to survive. I have done contract jobs all over southern Nigeria, the areas I had the biggest problem was the warri itself and my most pleasurable experience was Ugwashi-Uku.
If you are a typical Delta pikin you will not agree with the refusal to relocate HQ to ND.

If you are honest you will understand that it is these Oil Coys that throw money to village champions and refused to carry out proper CSR because it is cheaper to bribe than to do CSR.

I can relate with your story but it is not different in any part of Nigeria, especially the South.

The coys have the duty of ensuring the proper thing is done.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by Nobody: 8:17pm On May 07, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
If you are a typical Delta pikin you will not agree with the refusal to relocate HQ to ND.

If you are honest you will understand that it is these Oil Coys that throw money to village champions and refused to carry out proper CSR because it is cheaper to bribe than to do CSR.

I can relate with your story but it is not different in any part of Nigeria, especially the South.

The coys have the duty of ensuring the proper thing is done.
You're not a insider and have no idea what is on ground.Why do oil company workers resign when they are posted to Niger Delta or leave due to being victims of kidnappings.
Niger Delta youths are too restive!You build your house there and they will be coming to your house saying to you have to pay "devy'. The only thing they know is extortion.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by Nobody: 8:42pm On May 07, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
1. However, the ND is not less secured than Lagos state.

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by tinkinjow: 8:44pm On May 07, 2017
What hypocrisy! Isn't it interesting that the region is safe enough to drill for oil but not safe for siting their HQ.
What safety? All those havens they have created for themselves from qua iboe to bonny to escravos aren't safe enough for them?
Enough of this safety rants already! This country will reach a stage the region will be begged to accept unity for relocation of those HQs but they will refuse cos it ll be too late. Then some people always playing politics with every issue would realise that Nigeria's unity is not cast in iron.

One thing is only certain in life: where social justice fails natural justice eventually prevails. Mk una kontinu.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by wirinet(m): 8:54pm On May 07, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

I do business in Lagos and I can testify that the level of extortion in Lagos is infinitesimal compared to what is obtained in the Nigerdelta. I have done renovation jobs in Lagos island ( the extortion capital of Lagos), once I agreed with the chairman of the Omoniles on the sum to pay and I paid up, I did not have any problem again for the 2 months I was on site. I also did a job in warri ( Effie to be exact) and it was extortions from different groups.
I live in an industrial area of Lagos, surrounded by huge Indian and Chinese companies, I have never heard of youths coming to disrupt their business.

We are not talking about armed robbery and other social vices which happens everywhere in the world, we are talking about kidnapping of foreigners for ransom, that happens only in the nigerdelta. It discourages foreigners and foreign companies from coming.

Agree 100%

How are the oil companies to know who owns lands under dispute. Most lands in warri is under dispute.
This is what I hate to hear about nigerdelta issues, it is always about sharing of money. Why can't you ask the companies to put lasting infrastructures in place that can be enjoyed by everyone.

Will our kings, politicians, community elders and youths allow oil companies to build infrastructures. These people will rather collect the raw cash than allow the companies to use the money to build infrastructures.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by Nobody: 9:02pm On May 07, 2017
wirinet:

I do business in Lagos and I can testify that the level of extortion in Lagos is infinitesimal compared to what is obtained in the Nigerdelta. I have done renovation jobs in Lagos island ( the extortion capital of Lagos), once I agreed with the chairman of the Omoniles on the sum to pay and I paid up, I did not have any problem again for the 2 months I was on site. I also did a job in warri ( Effie to be exact) and it was extortions from different groups.
I live in an industrial area of Lagos, surrounded by huge Indian and Chinese companies, I have never heard of youths coming to disrupt their business.

The Kings,community leaders and Youths need to change their mentality. If you want to do any construction in Niger Delta you have to pay "developmental fee" to the Ijaw ,Itsekiri and urhobo youths before you can even begin construction or they will threaten to destroy all you materials and equipment.
You tell the youths you want to build roads,schools,hospital for them and they will refuse this basic amenities. They tell will tell you pay it into their account instead. They have a really demented mentality and will will be crying victimisation.

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by Nobody: 9:17pm On May 07, 2017
Justiceleague1:

What has ipob got to do with the issue on the floor? Can you be sincere and tell us who,among the 6 geo political zones and individuals of the country,are the main beneficiaries of the crude? Who owns most oli bloc,i bet its the ipob! I pity you.
Fact check,80% of the oil blocks are owned by Northerners who were awarded the oil blocks during the Babagida and Abacha regimes.I agree we should'nt blame Ipod youths.
Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by mightyhaze: 9:54pm On May 07, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Done
Not so bad,solo cool
Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by Nobody: 10:00pm On May 07, 2017
mightyhaze:
warreva. Just yan for or against this ur 'brother' stand!

Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by Nobody: 10:04pm On May 07, 2017
I agree with op. In warri at least once in two month you would see youth restiveness
Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by Nobody: 10:09pm On May 07, 2017
asuustrike2009:
I agree with op. In warri at least once in two month you would see youth restiveness
For some reason the youths in the Niger Delta region have a rebellious spirit that even the relocation of the oil companies will not cure.
Re: Why I Am Against The Forced Relocation Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta by Nobody: 10:13pm On May 07, 2017
IAMDUTCHBRAH:

For some reason the youths in the Niger Delta region have a rebellious spirit that even the relocation of the oil companies will not cure.
Yeah. Warri youth hasn't changed till date even other parts of delta don't behave that way. I don't know about other parts of Niger delta because we shouldn't use warri as a yardstick

(1) (2) (Reply)

(MUST READ) Open Letter To President Buhari By An Igbo Muslim / Buhari Media Centre Issued Fake Statement On Behalf Of IBB - See Proof. / Alhaji Abbas Egwu Asks Igbos For Help To Propagate Islam In SE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.