Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,675 members, 7,816,773 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

New Story : Afraid To Love - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / New Story : Afraid To Love (32904 Views)

I Hate To Love Him / The New Story Of Harry Potter And The Cursed Child / New Story: 'anini Reloaded' By Ayis Eliboy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Oyinprince(m): 9:07pm On May 08, 2016
episode 11

By Patience Ahworegba

“Go on. Carry out your threat.” she insisted. Deep within her, she was quivering.

He inhaled deeply. “Are you alone?”

She smiled. “Yeah.”

Quickly, he lowered the gun, dipped it at the back of his trousers, probably at the waist. He reached out for her hand and started dragging her.

She hit his hand hard.

He immediately stopped and looked thunderously at her. “What is the meaning of what you just did?”

She returned his glare with cold eyes. “Let me go!” She almost screamed.

He tightened his hold on her, flung her to his side and placed his left palm over her mouth. “You realize we are in front of someone’s house?” he rhetorically asked in a harsh tone. “Don’t forget I have a deadly weapon here and will be forced to use it if I want to.” He warned her.

She fought within his grip. Trying to prove stubborn.

He released her mouth.

She gasped. “Who are you? Let me go!”

Ernest only chuckled. He buried his left hand at the back of his trousers and pulled something out. He placed the object on her hips.

She stiffened feeling the gun on her.

“Ready to cooperate?”

Her head moved up and down.

He smiled wickedly. “That’s it girl. Move.”

Tricia obediently moved. She wasn’t ready to die yet. Her legs moved till she was at his car.

“Get in!” he commanded.

“What?” She asked.

“Don’t let me use this on you!” his eyes were filled with fury.

She’d had enough. If he wants to shoot her, he’d better do it. Who was he to order her around? It angered her a lot. Was this how Jeremy felt when she ordered him? This wasn’t the time to think about him, he dumped her. It was time to deal with this intimidating man. “I am not going to do that! I have my own car, in fact I drove it down here. I will ride it back home. Not going anywhere with you.” she protested fiercely.

His eyes darkened. “Don’t try my patience.” He pointed the gun at her. “I’m going to sho-”

“Shoot me already!” She yelled, cutting in. “I’m tired of waiting for that. Do it!”

This was one tough woman. She had given him the permission to kill her, what was he waiting for? He silently laughed. He wasn’t gonna kill her, he just used the pistol to threaten her, get her do as he says. Too bad, she wasn’t a lady one could control. She bravely opened up her feelings. Direct contrast of his Melisa. He smiled. “Alright, dear. You got me. Please get in. I’m not going to murder you. We’ll come for your car, later.”
Purity sank into her bed. She let go of the notepad. It fell to the ground. Why now? Why? Not when she was beginning to feel happy, love her parents more and to love a non-member of her family. Things had began to fall into place. She placed her hands on her face and rolled.

Why did he have to come back? How did this happen? He was surely going to disturb her relationship with Jeremy. That night, he had told her he’d never forget her. Wasn’t he drunk? Oh my, God! I’m in trouble, she mused. Darn it! Jeremy would definitely stop trusting her. What if he finds out? She didn’t think he would, besides he never knew Jeremy. She’d deal with him her own way. No one was going to find out.

This time, she was gonna do the right thing. She wasn’t gonna make a fool out of herself. She wasn’t gonna let her parents, Edwin nd Jeremy down. She slowly closed her eyes

The cops quickly climbed out of their car and went over to Jeremy’s. Jeremy surrendered to them. He unlocked the doors of the car. When they officers got to Jeremy’s one of them flung the door open.
“Can we see your licence?” One of them questioned. He was hefty. A very bushy mustache hung above his lips. He had little eyes. He wasn’t smiling.

Jeremy opened the glove compartment, took out his licence and handed it over to the cop that asked for it. He rested on his seat and placed his hand on his head. Edwin Broderick worried him. Why should he do something like this? He kept it from his only son. Who does that? Why carry a burden, an overwhelming problem alone? Why? Why? He loved that man so much? After his mum had passed away, his father had always been there for him. He reminded him of his mother- whom he’d never forget. They were still healing and this happens? Life’s so unfair. It couldn’t even think about him, how he’d feel and handle the situation. God!

Jeremy was so engrossed in his thoughts and the challenges he was going to face. He didn’t realize that he had been dismissed. The first cop tapped him lightly. Jeremy was startled. He almost jumped out if the vehicle. The officers held on to him. They settled him in.

“I can see you’re not okay.” the small officer observed.

The other hefty one returned his licence to him. “Don’t drive when you’re not okay, Mr. Broderick. Where are you headed?”

Jeremy pointed to his house. “I’m there already.”

“Good. Next time, listen to orders from the cops and don’t break the law. You might not get so fortunate next time.”

“Thank you.” Jeremy was delighted. He had never done what he just did and didn’t want to spend even a night in a cell. He really appreciated the fact that he was set free.

The officers nodded and moved back to their police car. Soon enough, the road was cleared for Jeremy. He started the car and safely drove to his father’s gate. On getting to the gate, he honked and it opened on its own. When he drove into the compound, he stopped the vehicle few inches away from the huge iron gate. He pushed the door open and jumped down.
“James!” he called the guard.

A young man of about thirty came, running out. He was dressed in a blue uniform and boots. He caught the key Jeremy threw in is direction. What to do with it, he knew it well.

Jeremy stomped out of his presence towards the mansion. On getting in, he briskly climbed the stairs. He met his father sitting on the arm chair and his eyes glued to the television in front of him. Jeremy walked over and stood, facing his father, obstructing his view.

Edwin scanned Jeremy. The look on his face was sad and filled with anger at the same time. The last time he saw his son that way was when Emily passed away. What had happened this time around? Who was going to die or dead already? Was it Purity? He got off immediately. “Son, what is the matter?” He hoped he was totally wrong.

Jeremy stared at him. He could not make a sound. This man was still going to die. He was going to leave him soon.

Now, Edwin was starting to worry. His brows furrowed. “Talk to me, son.” he insisted Jeremy tell him what the problem was.

His fists clenched. “Father,” he decided he was going to take things slowly. “What are you hiding from me?”

“What? Hiding from you?” Edwin was confused.

Jeremy wasn’t gonna fall for that.
“You are keeping something serious and very important from me.” He took a step forward. “Why did you have a heart attack? Why were you looking so sad today? I need answers!” he demanded firmly.

Jeremy? Was this the Jeremy he knew? His son? Why was he acting this way? Talking to his father that way? “Will you stop that? What is wrong with you? Are you drunk?” he shook his head. “I can see that you are not yourself. Go to bed, we’ll talk tomorrow.”
He began walking out of the living room.

Jeremy turned to watch his father. “Heart disease?” he blurted out.

Edwin froze where he stood. His mouth dropped.

“Cardiovascular disease? Your heart has a permanent damage? It could lead to stroke and then death?”

Still where he was, tears slid down his cheeks. How did he find out? He wasn’t gonna let him know till he was married to Purity. He had plans, he wanted to reveal it to him, himself. Edwin slowly turned to face his son. He didn’t know where to start from.

Jeremy was panting. His blazing, tear eyes locked to his father’s. “You kept this from me,” he accused.

“I’m sorry, son. So sorry. I’ve wronged you.” Edwin gave him a look of contrition and hurried to be close with him. Edwin opened his arms wide, Jeremy welcomed the embrace. “My boy, I’m so sorry. Please forgive me.”

Jeremy sniffed, he tears fell down, freely. “Papa, why did you not tell me?” he felt betrayed. “No secrets between us. Why?”

Edwin patted his son. “Shhh. My boy. Its okay. I’ll tell you everything.” He clung to him, never wanting to let go. He regretted not telling him.

After several minutes, Edwin let go of his son. “Lets sit.” He took him by the hand and led him to the sofa. They both sat. Edwin looked his son in the eye. “How did you get to know? Who told you?”

Jeremy dried his tears with the back of his hand. “Dr. Allan. I forced him to vomit all he knew about your situation. It was quite difficult. But after I told him you wanted to know, he finally confessed. You swore him to secrecy? Even from your own son?” He was still having a hard time to come to terms with that.

Edwin looked sorry. “I didn’t want that. I could have shared my heath condition with you, but I didn’t knw how you’d take it. We lost your mum not too long ago and now, you’d be losing me. I couldn’t bring myself to hurt you by telling you the worst news ever- that you’d soon be all by yourself in the world- an orphan.”

His heart was pierced by the painful words that came out of his father’s mouth. He felt remorse for doubting his sick father, not trusting him. He felt guilty. “How did it begin? When did you get to know?” Jeremy wanted the whole truth. It was his right. He had to be involved.

Edwin looked away, painfully. “Two years ago.”

“Two years! How-”

“After Emily’s death,” Edwin cut him off. “You know I wasn’t able to cope after she left us. I resorted to taking alcohol to be free from my pains. Little did I know that I was ruining my heath. I had the first attack while you were away, to seal some business deals. It became more frequent. Then Dr. Allan carried out some tests on me. It was then revealed there’s a permanent damage there. It was all too late. Nothing could be done about it.” He took a deep breath.

Jeremy squeezed his fingers tenderly, prompting him to go on.

“I instructed him not to let you know only till I give him the permission to do so. I think that’s why he told you. I didn’t want you to feel miserable. After losing your mum, you’d lose your dad. I want that not to happen. Only if I could.”

Jeremy’s vision was blurred. “Father, I’m going to be all alone in this world? Don’t leave me. I’m very sorry about your health condition. But please, don’t leave me. We could have a heart transplant, a surgery.” He suggested.

Edwin waved his head sideways. “Then someone would have to die. Its soul for soul. A person dies and I live? I can’t do that.” he explained.

“d--n! So what do we do? I can’t be without you! You want to join her? Where are you two going? I’m gonna go with you two!” He was visibly shaking.

Edwin Broderick chuckled. “My son. Its parts of life. No one wishes to die, but its inevitable. We just have to wait till it comes.” He held Jeremy by the shoulder. He tried to cheer him up. “Come on. I’m not dead yet. I’ve still got few years to live. Lets not spend it in mourning, make it the happiest years of my life. Just as we did with your mother.”

Jeremy heaved a sigh. “And when you leave?”

“Purity and her parents will be here for you. That’s why I so much want this marriage. With her and her family, you’d have kids bu then, you’d never miss me. You would see a reason to live, to go on. Your life would have hope and meaning. Just do this for me.”

It was all about him? He was this loved by his father? He loved him very much. If he was going to be born in a next life, he’d ask God to give him the same father. He was really going to miss him. Already missing him. He was determined to put smiles on the face of his father during the years he had to live. He wasn’t gonna fail him.

“Father, I promise to do as you wish. Will make you happy.” Jeremy solemnly vowed.

Edwin smiled and nodded in appreciation.

“I Love You, father.”

“Love you too, my boy.”

... To be continued

1 Like

Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Oyinprince(m): 8:34am On May 09, 2016
Afraid to love - Episode 12
By Patience Ahworegba

Ernest drove this strange lady to his favourite bar-the bar he had met Melisa the first time. Why was he taking her there? He only took special women there. This woman had been stalking his Melisa. He caught her doing so. He didn’t know how long she had been stalking her, but he was gonna find out the reason why. He was going to coax her into spilling the bean. Protecting Melisa was his aim. He was determined to do so.

“Why did you bring me here?” Tricia enquired, eyes the strange man intently.

He ignored her question and cold eyes. Taking her by the hand, he pushed her through the door and they were finally inside the bar. There was loud music booming. The loud sound of the rock ‘n’ roll music almost got him deaf. He watched her as she made to cover her ear with her free hand. The lights were dim and they flickered. It wasn’t quite easy to see clearly the face of the people in there. Sensing this, he let go of her hand and forcefully took her by the waist and drew her closer to him.

She frowned at his rough behaviour.

Ernest didn’t really care.
The bar was rowdy. People on the dance floor, dancing to the rhythm of the music. All kinds of immoral acts were going on there-men to women, men to men and women to women. It had grown worse from what it used to be. He still wondered why a girl like Melisa would visit a place like thus. He was sure she still hid things from him. He pushed those thoughts aside. It was a blessing she did, she now belonged to him. Thank goodness he found her.

His grip on this woman’s waist tightened. They both moved to an empty chair and table together. As they got there, he released the woman, granting her the permission to settle in one of the chairs. His eyes were firmly fixed on her, he wouldn’t let her escape. He had to admit-she was something, really attractive. Probably he could be with her till he got his Melisa. She could be of help too. He chuckled wickedly.
He had already settled in his chair. Watching her send him dangerous looks, he smiled in satisfaction. He loved her kind of women. Dangerous and deadly.
Nathan had kept his eye on this man. He’d not returned after he was kicked out. Who had he brought with him now? Was that the woman he had been searching for? She was beautiful and could turn a man on. He didn’t want any trouble and was still gonna act like a man. The man he was. He left the counter and strolled to meet this regular customer. He gave him a half hearted smile as his gaze met his.
“Would you like to order something?” Nathan enquired innocently.

Ernest sent him deadly snare. He hadn’t forgotten what had transpired that morning. He had returned so they’d know he wasn’t afraid of them.
“Just get us any drink you have. No alcoholic one.” Ernest ordered.

“Coming right away.” Nathan assured them and turned to leave.

“Who are you? Why did you bring me me here? Why didn’t you kept me go? Do I look like a criminal? Have I done any wrong?” Tricia fired several questions at him. She was tired of being treated like a prisoner. She loved her freedom. It was so precious to her. She didn’t like anyone getting on her way and trampling on it.

Ernest wrinkled his nose. “What were you doing there?” he returned her questions with a question.

That really angered her. She looked at him with disgust. “Like you weren’t watching her too.”

He had to be tough on her. “Listen lady, you’ve go to answer my questions. Why were you out there, hiding among the flowers? Who is she to you?”

She smiled mockingly. “Are you the FBI or something? Is this an interview? I can’t see any cameras or-”

“Here they are.” Nathan announced, interrupting Tricia. He laid the drinks and glasses on the table. He looked at Tricia and then at Ernest. “Is this the woman you wanted to kill me over? I don’t know her.”

“Move away from us!” Ernest snarled. This b-----d. He’s never spare him when he gets the chance to wring his neck again.

“What woman is he talking about? Do I know you? Or you know me?” Tricia was perplexed. What the hell was going on? Now she regretted her actions. She’d have stayed home or got herself a new man. She couldn’t resist the temptation of wanting to see the pure virgin that had stolen her Jeremy

She had first been to a restaurant to have dinner all by herself. She’d seen Jeremy and the so-called Purity Theodore. What did Jeremy see in her? She was so green with envy. How could Jeremy be so happy with another woman? And she, she’d been crying over him. The anger she felt pushed her to follow Purity, as she trailed behind, a vehicle was ahead of her’s, it went the same direction as Purity’s. And it belonged to this man who wouldn’t let her go. He too had followed Purity, hadn’t he?

He poured the non-alcoholic drink into the two glasses. He pushed one forward. For the lady sitting before him. Nathan had left already.
“Lets take things slowly. First things first. I’m Ernest. Ernest Turner. And you are?”

She scoffed.

“Listen, I’m not going to harm you. If I was going to, I’d have one that a long time ago. Just be sincere and free with me.” Ernest assured her.

Hmm. There could be no harm talking with this guy, she reasoned.
“Well, I’m Tricia.”

He broadly smiled. “Nice to meet you.”

“We didn’t meet under normal circumstances. What do you want me for.” She was trying to be at ease with him.

He took a very deep breath which lasted for several seconds. “What is your relationship with that woman?”

What was his business with that? Is he a cop or something? “I don’t know her. Simple.”

“I don’t believe you. You were spying on her. Its possible you wanted to harm her.” All he needed at that moment was patience.

She folded her arms. “I was there for a reason.”

“I want that ‘reason’!”

Tricia wasn’t stupid. She was not going to let a complete stranger know that jealousy drove her there. That the woman is engaged to her ex boyfriend whom she loves dearly. It’ll make her feel rejected. “Don’t want to talk about it.”

“Come on. I could really use your help. I need to know.” he pleaded, his eyes joined the plea.

She smiled in contentment. Now, this was the kind of attention she loved. For men to keep begging her, like she owned their lives. Jeremy never begged her. She was the one that always went back to him. She only told him what to do. Now that she had it, she should enjoy it. Enjoy it while it lasts. She unfolded her arms and placed them on the table. “I’m going to help you in one condition.”

He shot up a brow. This was good. She was ready to talk. “And that is?”

“You tell me your own side of the story. I saw that you followed her too. You are as guilty as I am. Then, you threatened me with a gun. What was all that for?” She was getting the upper hand.

He had to surrender. He didn’t even know who she really was. “We have met before. ‘Twas a long time ago. I followed to see if she could recognize me. I don’t think she did.”

“Where did you meet her? And how long was it?”

“This very place we are. Nine years ago.”

Her eyes dilated with shock. “What? At a bar?” She looked at her surrounding with a treacherous smirk on her face. The virgin visits a bar like this? Yet she was acting so holy. Jeremy was gonna hear this. Her interest had intensified. She wanted to know more. “At a bar.” She repeated herself. “Nine years. What do you care? She’d have forgotten you by now. Unless you two shared something?” She was grinning now. Yeah, yeah. She wasn’t a virgin, but she was definitely not a liar.

“Its your turn.” He tried his possible best to ignore her rude question. He knew they almost shared something till she…. He frowned, didn’t like remembering that. “I’ve told you all I know.” That was a lie. A miserable one at that.

“Okay.” She was going to answer him truthfully and find out more about this virgin. It’d so much interest Jeremy. “Like I said before, I don’t know her. I only got to hear about her when my boyfriend broke up with me just to marry her. They are engaged. Curiosity plus anger made me trail her, just to know more about the b---h who had stolen what is mine.”

Not a single word did he believe. His Melisa engaged? That wasn’t possible. Had she changed that much? Nine years was enough to do that. Was it the man he was with her? Did she love him? NO! He had to stop that. She belongs only to him.
“What is her name?”

This man must be crazy. “How do you not know her name? You two -”
She hated the way he glared at her. She sighed. “Purity Theodore.”

The shock she felt when she met with Ernest a second time hadn’t gone. She still felt it. She recalled everything. Ernest Turner. Her night wasn’t so good. She’d bad dreams of both Ernest and Jeremy. Both of them fighting over her. Jeremy had lost, Ernest won. She hated that dream so much. She’d choose Jeremy over Ernest. Ernest wasn’t her dream man, he never was. Jeremy was the kind of man she wanted, she wasn’t sure, but he could take care of her. Ernest couldn’t. He was a drunk. A really bad one. He played a significant role in getting her drunk that night. Why did she do it? She felt remorse over that. It wasn’t gonna repeat itself. She hoped that one mistake wouldn’t ruin her life.

The ringing of the telephone on her desk jolted her back to reality. She swore as she picked it up. “What!” d--n! Her mood was something else.

“You have a visitor, ma’am.”

No. She didn’t want to talk with anybody. She wanted to be all by herself. Talking would do no good. Also, she didn’t look presentable. She was all weary. “Tell the person to come another day. I’m not taking in any visitors.”

“He’s insisting. I don’t have the strength to fight with any man. Please.”

Oh, God. What was Jeremy doing here? He’s got more important things to do. It wasn’t a bad idea all together. She might get to tell him the truth. She let out a breath. “All right, Heather. Let him in.”

There was a clanking sound as she dropped the receiver. She relaxed on the chair and swivelled it to the back door. She faced the window. He could come in any moment. He had to. She was expecting him. The few seconds it took seemed like forever. Then the door creaked. She smiled.
“Jeremy, why not call when you want to come see me. I don’t want another scene with Heather.” At last. She was delighted.

“What a pleasant way of receiving your guest.”

The smile on her face melted into a shock. That wasn’t Jeremy’s voice! It was…. It belonged to…. She turned the chair to face him and she was him again. The third time.
“What are you doing here?” She sounded tense and angry. She got up from the chair.

He grimly smiled at her. “You didn’t invite me to sit. I’d invite myself. Please, sit its your office.”

This was serious. No jokes. No lies. No games. “Get out of my office! Leave at once?” She ordered. Her eyes were blazing.

“I came to ask about Melisa.” she had guts.

She placed both hands on her desk and met his gaze. “I do not know who Melisa is. It was just last night you asked about her and I do not know her.”

“Will you stop pretending and speak the truth? I hate lies.” Could she be the Melisa? She was so different in character. The woman glaring at him was full of herself. His Melisa wouldn’t do that. Nevertheless, the resemblance was there. Her eyes, lips, voice-all similar with Melisa. It had to be her.

“So do I. I do not know her. Wait a minute. How did you even get here? How do you know I work here?” If he had found things about her, she needed to know. Things must not get out of hand. She had to handle him.

“Who hasn’t heard of the all mighty Purity Theodore-”

She had lost it. “My name! How-” She was short of words. Oh, man! What has the past come back? She felt frightened.

He laughed loudly. “‘I don’t give my name to strangers.’ The same statement you made after I told you mine at that bar, nine years ago. It was your prom night.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about!” she denied furiously. “I will contact you when I find your Melisa.”

Great liar. The best. “How nice of you to give me a fake name, Melisa. I love that name and I’m sticking to it. You never loved that name, ‘Purity’, you wanted something sexy, that will endear men to you.” His eyes danced with laughter.

Purity was trying to hold herself. This man was tempting her, making her lose her mind. He should quit trying to make her recall the past she’d forgotten and buried. She wanted to have nothing to do with it. She had to deny it. “Stop this rubbish. Stop this nonsense. Stop-”

“We drank alcohol together. We danced so romantically. You were all over me. You didn’t want to let me go. You clung on to me. We almost made lo-”

This was it. All her manners were sent to hell. “Will you shut up! You lying, disgusting b-----d. Who gave you the right to bring up my past? Who gave you the right to judge me? I want you out of my office and life for good!”

... To be continued

1 Like

Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Oyinprince(m): 8:36am On May 09, 2016
Afraid to love - Episode 13
By Patience Ahworegba

He hauled himself off the chair. “You promised to come back.”

“I was drunk for crying out loud! I didn’t do those things on purpose. You know I never wanted to do that. I was so naive. You got me drunk and attempted to kiss me. You started those nonsense. I hate you for that!”

His eyes were now cold and blank. “Who wouldn’t want to? What man would have that opportunity and not want to try to have something with you? That’s the past. I have come for you. Been searching for you for nine years. Be my wife.”

She snickered. “You are too late for that. I am engaged to be married.” she proudly informed him.

“I don’t see an engagement ring on your finger,” he remarked, staring at her let hand.

Oops! She didn’t see that coming. “You’re gonna see it soon. Accept defeat, you have lost.”
The sad look on his face told her something. He was disappointed. He must be surprised at the change. She was no more sixteen; she was twenty-five and could maker her decisions. Right now, she decided to marry Jeremy for him and not because of his father or anything. “I’m done with you. Walk away or I’d call security.”

“Do you know who I am?” he asked, he too had wealth and power.

She tossed her head, right and left. “Nope. I don’t care to know. Its my property you’re standing on and I have every right to kick you off it. I will find great pleasure doing so.”

d--n! She was extremely rude. What happened to her? Was it the alcohol that changed her that day? If he’d met her like this, he wouldn’t be crazy for her. It was too late now. He’d already given his heart to her and she must accept it. “You think the man you’ve chosen is good enough for you? He’s a man, like the rest. We all want the same thing-your body. Come with me. I’m gonna take care of you. I’m honest. He’s just lying.”

She smiled. “He’s different and much more better than you.”

“You hate them.”

“And I hate you too.”

“Do you love him?” A very stupid question to ask. She mustn’t love any man.

“You just said I hate him, all men.”

“You aren’t scared of him? Not scared of loving him? You are not afraid?”

Her feelings really didn’t matter. Dealing with this man was more important. “The hate I feel for him is not as much as what I feel for you and other men. I love him.” She was shocked at the revelation herself. Was she in love with Jeremy? How come she said it? It really felt good saying it. This man must feel really, really bad.

It was late. Just too late. She’d given her heart to another man. Just who was this man? He had to find out more about him; he definitely would. Melisa belonged to him. That marriage wasn’t gonna work out as long as he was still alive. He still had points to prove. “He knows about your prom night? You gave him every detail?” It was his turn to make her feel bad.

Oh, no! He shouldn’t be going there! He shouldn’t. God!

“I can just imagine how hurt he’d feel when he hears what happened that very night.”

He really got her this time. He was gonna tell Jeremy? Had he seen his the previous night? She had to act fast, really fast.
“I don’t keep secrets from him. We love eachother that much.” She ruffled her hair. “Besides that, you don’t even know him.”

He smiled mockingly. Love indeed. “I found you, didn’t I?” he asked rhetorically and stormed out of her office.

Great! A single, stupid, foolish mistake could ruin one’s life in a moment. This man wasn’t gonna ruin her life. She’d have to get to Jeremy first. No b-----d was gonna come between them. Especially not one like Ernest. He deserved to be in jail. She hated him more and more.

Her cell phone buzzed in her purse. She dug around her purse for the cell phone. She found it. Jeremy was calling.
“Hi, Jeremy.” She tried to sound as cool as she could be.

“Purity, could we have dinner tonight?” his husky voice said over the phone.

Phew! Ever since she’d met him, every night had been a dinner date. She couldn’t refuse. She could tell him all about Ernest tonight. It wasn’t a bad idea. “Alright. The address?”

“Thanks. I’ll text it to you, later.”

He didn’t sound his normal self. “Are you okay?”

“We’ll see tonight.”
~~~

She had dressed her best. She faced the perfect reflection of herself in the mirror staring back at her. A silver, heeled sandals adorned her feet. Bright red, sparkling sleevless gown decorated her body. From the front view, it stopped few inches above her knee. Viewing in from the back, it was a floor length. It revealed all her unique features and curves.

Adorning her neck was a beautiful diamond neck-lace. Her ears, dangling diamond ear-rings. This time she went for a pink lip stick. Black eye shadow and a mild blush on both cheeks. Just a bracelet adorned her left wrist. Her hair was parted deeply by the some. It fell past her shoulders.

She took a deep breath. She was going to tell Jeremy the secret she’d kept to herself for nine whole years. It was going to be so difficult, however, she had to do it. It would be left to him to carry on with the marriage or not. She got to admit that she was going to be so heartbroken if he ended their courtship. She hadn’t lied to him. Only that she kept things from him-her private life, her business.

Turning to her bed, she took her purse and went out of the room. She locked the door with her keys.

“Melisa.” Prudence called, she was excited.

Purity froze on hearing that name. That was the last name she wanted to be called by. It was already bringing her troubles. Only thing is that ’twas her mama that called her.
“Don’t you call me that again!” she scolded her mum, turning to face her.

The surprise of Prudence’s face was clear as crystal. “You love that name, don’t you?”

Purity disagreed. “Not anymore. I am fine with ‘Purity.’ Call me that.”

She had started again. Prudence had to please her if she wanted peace. “Alright, darling. Purity. You are looking good.”

Purity smiled at the compliment. She was instantly sorry for yelling at her mother. It wasn’t the woman’s fault that the name-Melisa was giving her troubles. It wasn’t even the name; it was her. “Thank you. Mum, I’m sorry for shouting at you that way.”

Prudence nodded. She understood her daughter. “Its okay, dear. Your father and I wish you a very happy evening. Enjoy it to the full. We love you.”

“And I love you both, too.” Purity replied and plodded out of the house. She left her mother astounded. She grinned to herself knowing that her mother must be thinking if she was the Purity they knew. She had begun to change. She needed to fix her life, before it was all too late. She arrived at the garage, unlocked her car and got into it. Silently, she cruise out of her father’s compound. Slowly, she joined the highway off to the address Jeremy had texted her.

She arrived safely at ‘Golden foods eatery’ down Dowing street. The eatery was perfectly lit. There was no single soul. That place was deserted. She heard no sound either. She was scared to get off her car. She brought her phone out of her purse and scrolled through her messages, she tapped the one Jeremy sent and read it again. It was the venue. She was there. Why is he not here? Her vehicle was the only car there. She was starting to worry. She dialed Jeremy’s number.
“I’m at Golden foods eatery. There’s no one here.” She complained as he answered.

Purity could hear him laugh over the phone. Was he mocking her?

“Just go inside. I’ll meet you there. Please don’t be scared.”

Those words assured her. “Okay.”

She hung up and got down from her car. After making sure her vehicle was securely locked, she moved towards the entrance to the eatery. The door easily. She had thought she’d struggle with it. She stepped in and closed the door behind her. The place was elegant. Different rows of dinner tables, two chairs clustered each of these tables, a servet and glasses turned upside down were on the tables too. The curtains were crisp cream color, adding beauty to the eatery. The floor was tiled. The whole place glittered. Yet, there was no sign of anybody. Jeremy had advised her to go in, which she obeyed. He also told her he’d meet her. Does that mean he hadn’t reached? She stood at the doorway without moving an inch. She had to wait for Jeremy.

A faint sound from inside distracted her. She couldn’t discern where exactly it came from, but she had to check it out. Jeremy wouldn’t put her in any danger. He wasn’t evil. Bracing herself, she took an unsteady step forward.
~~

Taking a handkerchief from her purse, she mopped the perspiration forming on her forehead. She folded the handkerchief in her right hand and moved. A gentle step at a time, she found herself at a doorway. Carefully, she turned round to be sure is she was the only one there. Seeing no one, she proceeded to open the door. Slowly, the door creaked open. She entered and closed it. She hesitated before turning to see what was in the room. When she finally turned her back to the door, she gasped in amazement. Her left hand covered her slightly opened mouth.

Everything about this room was so magnificent. The tiled floor glowed. The walls were painted orange. The cream curtains were transparent, they billowed on the walls. Right in the middle of the room stood a round, majestic dinner table. A lovely silver material ran all over it. On it were different bottles of wine and lots of delicacies. From where she stood, she could see baked lemon sole with lemon and caper paste, flambed chicken with asparagus, one-pan duck with savor cabbage. The aroma filled her nose and made her mouth water. And there was Jeremy, settled on one of the two dining chairs that stood opposite eachother. He smiled gleefully on seeing her. He left his chair and walked over to meet her.

Purity’s heartbeat increased as he took each step to where she stood. Jeremy was looking so good. He was a very attractive man. He was dressed in a black tuxedo and his foot wear was a classic sneakers. His smile melted her heart. For a moment, her breath was taken away. She kept staring in awe till he approached her. Then, he did the unimaginable.

As he was very close to her, he took her by the hand, and flung her into his arms. He embraced her. Purity was startled beyond all reasonable doubts. Gradually, she settled in his embrace. This had never happened. She held on to him. The scent of his cologne and after shave filled her nostrils. He really had good taste. The scent was nice. She smiled as she rested her head on his shoulder.

Jeremy was pleased to see her. Very pleased. Her dressed was so sexy, he so much loved it. She looked very gorgeous. Feeling her soft feminine body on him got him excited. She was really something. He was glad she didn’t resist him.
“Thank you for coming,” he whispered.

She didn’t respond.

He released her from his arms. “Lets have dinner.”

He walked her to a dining chair and settled her in. He want back to his and got in.
“Do you like it?” he was grinning.

She smiled back. “I love it. You went through all these trouble for me.”

“You deserve it because you are special. Lets eat.”

She blushed.
“Why did you call me here?” Tricia queried.

“I want you to tell me everything about your ex!” he demanded.

She sniggered. “What for? I guess, Purity doesn’t want to come back to you. She is in love with him. Every woman falls head over heels in love with him.”

The thought of his Melisa in love with another man infuriated him. This woman was making him imagine what he never wanted to imagine. He could drain the life out of her if she made one more sound. “Hold it! Melisa won’t ever love him. She belongs to me. She can never love a man.”

That intrigued her. “You seem to know much about this Melisa. Is she the same as Purity?” She thought for a while. “Oh, I’m beginning to get it. The name she gave you wasn’t her real name. That’s why you asked for her name last night.”

He nodded in agreement. This woman got brains.

“What do you intend to do?”

“Make her mine. Ruin that relationship.”

She smiled devilish. “I want him too.”
“You sounded worried when you called this morning. What was the problem?” She was concerned about him.

He wiped his mouth and held her gaze. “Its nothing. I’m a lot more better now.” he smiled reassuringly.

“Okay.” She tapped the table. “I-I have something important to tell you.” her heart began thudding, again.

Was she going to break his heart. Tell him that she couldn’t marry him again? She was not interested in being with someone she didn’t love? He had so many doubts. The previous night, he had vowed to his father to make Purity his wife forever. He had never taken aother woman seriously- not even Tricia. He was going to make her love him and he’d love her to. What she wanted to tell him must wait. “I have something more important.”

She waved her head. “This is more urgent. Its-”

“Will you marry me?” he proposed, unequivocally.

...to be continued
Read more episodes on www.youngicee.com

1 Like

Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Browndipson(m): 12:06pm On May 10, 2016
nice story
Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Browndipson(m): 12:08pm On May 10, 2016
Abeg come update o
Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Oyinprince(m): 2:01pm On May 10, 2016
Afraid to love - Episode 14

By Patience Ahworegba

What is he talking about? Of course, she had agreed to marry him and that’s why she had to reveal everything to him. He had to know the truth. “Yes, Jeremy. I will marry you and that’s why I need to -”

Purity felt a hand, brushing her hair. Her body shook in surprise. Behold! It was Jeremy’s hand. She’d been so busy trying to explain to him what she needed to say. She hadn’t realized that he had left his chair to hers and he had apparently touched her hair. No man does that. She was still thinking of the right words total say to him when he lifted her off the chair. Her hands were firmly trapped in his. Electric sensations ran all over her body. What was Jeremy about to do? She couldn’t think much, for she was overwhelmed by those feelings.

He stared right into her silver eyes. “Why did you say yes? Why do you want to marry me?” He was too close. His emotions were beginning to cloud his brain. Purity, Purity. Only she could do this to him.

She couldn’t understand why he was asking that question. Was he ending things with her? He knew the reason. “I don’t understand you,” she tried not to stammer. “Why the question?”

“Please, answer.”

Purity heaved a sigh. “Fine. We agreed to be friends. To help your papa, he’s sick. And…and…” she trailed off.

“And what?” Jeremy’s heart danced with excitement. Was she gonna say she liked him?

She hung her head. “My parents wants us to be together. My father, especially believes you are the right man for me. The only man who could tame me. He believes you are just like him. It would break their hearts if we let them down.” She paused, then quickly added. “I believe he is right.” she raised her head and held his gaze.

He smiled at her. It didn’t hurt that much. She had come to terms that he is the right man for her. “What is my father wasn’t ill and our parents let us pick our mates and we met, you’d still like me?”

Purity smiled faintly. She knew were he was heading. “Maybe.”

“Do you know why I want you to be my wife?”

“Yes. Probably the same reason.”

He shook his head. “No. Its…. Its because…… because……” he scratched his head. Why isn’t this d--n word coming out? “Um…”

She laughed at his stuttering. “Cat caught your tongue, right?”

“I like you.” They finally came out. He watched her closely for her reaction. Seeing that she was too astonished to speak, he continued. “I want you to marry me not because of our parents. They had played some part in it, but its not just them. Its about us. I want you. Need you. To get to know you more and then spend eternity with you.” He was sure that amazement was killing her. He grinned, left her hand and dropped a knee to the ground. Searching his pocket, he brought out a tiny black box.

Purity watched him with her mouth open and her eyes, dilated.

He opened the box slowly. There was a tiny jewelry in it. He took it out- it was a diamond ring. Taking hold of her hand, he slipped the ring on her third finger. It fitted perfectly.

“Jeremy,” she gasped.

He titled his head upwards. “Now, you are mine.”
He got on his feet. “It fits well. Do you like it?” he beamed.

What just happened? Her brain was still processing what just token place. Jeremy said he likes her? Not marrying her because of his papa? He had given her an engagement ring symbolising their union? She never imagined this would happen so soon. She liked him too. She was very happy. She hid her excitement.
“Oh, Jeremy, this is lovely. How did you know my size?” her eyes were admiring the beautiful ring on her third finger. It sparkled. And it matched her neck-lace and ear-rings.

“Well, I didn’t know your size, I just got it and figured it’ll fit your tiny finger.”

She laughed gleefully. “Its beautiful.”

“Are you happy?” She was supposed to be. He could see it in her eyes. Thank God it went well. There should be no regrets.

Purity nodded. “Yes, I am happy. Thank you.”

He beckoned her to sit, which she did. He rested on the table. “You had something important to tell me?”

“I did?” Purity asked, she was trying to recall.

“Yes. You don’t remember?”

Uh-oh! About her past. She didn’t want to anymore. “Its just that, I… I….”

“Yes?”

`~~

She could read the expression on his face. He was so excited, very happy and keen to hear what she was about to tell him. She wasn’t going to ruin it with an ugly past.
“I…. I love you.” What had she just done? That wasn’t what she was to say. d--n!

“You what?” Jeremy felt he didn’t hear right. She said ‘I love you?’ He felt good and confused at the same time. She was looking at him in amazement. Maybe she didn’t mean it. Before he knew it, she fell, crashing on the floor. He rushed to her and carried her in his arms. “Purity! Purity!” he called, no response. He felt her pulse, she was still alive. Thank goodness! He hastily dashed out of the eatery with her in his arms. He got to his car which he parked few meters away from the eatery. He successfully got her in, settled her at the back seat, sat at the front and drove off to the hospital. What just happened? She wasn’t sick, was she? How could she just faint like that? Oh, God. Let nothing bad happen to her. My life’s gonna be a mess. Please, save her, protect her, Jeremy prayed in his head.
Purity opened her eyes the third time. She did so slowly. Seeing only the doctor in, she opened them fully.

The doctor looked down on her and smiled. “Ah, you’re awake now. Welcome.”

Of course, she’d been awake all through. She hadn’t really fainted, she faked it. The thing was that, she couldn’t bring herself to tell Jeremy the truth. That was an exciting moment, filed with joy and happiness. Why should she ruin it by telling him of an unpleasant memory? Her heart couldn’t let her make him sad. She thought of what would make him smile and then she said ‘I love you’. Those words were a mistake. That was the first time she said it to a man. She was doing the opposite of what she said she’d never do-tell a man her feelings. And she had landed herself in a hospital. Jeremy would never have to find out. The charming doctor still had his eyes on her and his smile was still intact. She smiled back. “Thank you.”
She tried sitting.

“No, no. Lie down. You are weak.” the doctor advised.

She pursed her lips, then stubbornly disobeyed the doctor’s warning. “I’m fine.”

The doctor gave her a puzzled look. “You were unconscious when you were brought in here.”

Purity shook her head. “I wasn’t.”

The doctor pretended to be surprised. “My records said so. My friend brought you here. What are you talking about?”

d--n this doctor. He should know everything. “Sir-”

“Allan.”

“Dr. Allan. I didn’t actually faint,” Purity began her explanation. “It wasn’t real.”

He folded his arms. “Hmm. No wonder. I’ve carried out some tests on you and you are perfectly fine. Why did you do it?”

“Uh. No reason.” she hung her head.

“Then, I’ll let Jeremy know.” he threatened.

“Okay. Fine. I was in a situation that I didn’t know how I got myself into. This was my only option.”

“Did he try sleeping with you?” Allan was grinning.

She didn’t expect that. “No, he wasn’t! He’d never do that. Please, don’t tell him.” She prayed he’ll cooperate.

Dr. Allan sighed and nodded. “Alright. Don’t do it next time.”

She smiled in appreciation. “Thanks.”

The door swung open. Jeremy stepped in. He was so happy to see Purity awake. He had been so worried and made sure Allan gives her the best medication possible. He wouldn’t want anything happening to her. “Purity!” He ran to the bed and gave her a hug. “How are you doing? Are you okay? Any pains?”

“I’m out.” Allan announced and left the ward.

Purity clung on to Jeremy. She felt so special. This was what it felt like to be loved? For someone to care so deeply about you? It wasn’t all about s-x. Thank God she found Jeremy. He was the only man that made her think about love. She hoped to love him back. But how?
“I’m fine. Just a little headache.”

They left eachother.

“I was so mad. So worried. I felt I caused it.”

She didn’t reply. She only stared back, smiling at him. Thinking about so many things.

A beat of silence. They were still close to eachother. Jeremy drew his head closer to hers. “I want to kiss you, Purity.”
Without waiting for a response, his mouth found hers.

The passionate kiss took them both to heaven.
`~
“Do you want this engagement party or not?” Jeremy asked his father. He had been arguing with his father for over twenty minutes. He wanted the party while his father did not. Edwin Broderick might have brought them together, but the decision was his to make. It was him engaged and getting married, not his father.

“You’ve given her the ring, what more do you want?” Edwin asked, he was getting tired.

Jeremy whooshed in a breath and scratched his head. “I have already answered that question.”

“I think I forgot the reply you have given me.”

Jeremy was beginning to get impatient. This man was playing games with him. “I don’t want to keep this engagement a secret. I want the virtually the whole world to know. Want them to know the unique angel that had captured my heart and making me her prisoner for life.” He was smiling.

Edwin smiled too. “Fine. Do it.” He was really glad his son agreed to wed Purity. She too had accepted. What more could he have asked for? Emily’s last wish was now getting done. He just had to wait till they take the wedding vows. They couldn’t disappoint him. He was gonna die a happy man.

“Thank you, father.” Jeremy couldn’t hide his joy. He embraced his father. “I’d see you when I get back.”

“Your cousin is in town. Invite him.”

“What cousin? I have a cousin?” Jeremy was surprised at that. He had another relative he never knew of? How was that possible? Jeremy shot his father a questioning look.

“Alright, alright.” Edwin understood his look. “My sister’s son. I didn’t to you to him and her family for they were out of town. Now, they are back. You’ll get to meet them soon.”

A family reunion? How was he gonna accept them? His father had never mentioned it. However, his engagement party to Purity mattered to him. To think about an unknown cousin, aunt and the rest wasn’t what he was going to do. But he had to know them.
“Give me a name.” he demanded.

“Em…….um………”

His cell phone rang. It was his P.A calling.
“Yes, Adam.”

“Something’s not right, please come over.”

What could go wrong? “I’ll be right there.” He threw the phone into his pocket and faced his father who was having a hard time remembering the name of his cousin. Jeremy felt pity for the old man. “Father, its okay. You can remember it later. Please get some rest and take your medication. The servants will watch over you. I need to get to the office, will come back for you when I’m done.”

His son was understanding. For a minute, he thought he was going to go crazy trying to remember his sister’s name and that of her son. Was he that old? It wasn’t his fault. They hadn’t contacted eachother for years till she had rung him three days ago, she wanted their children to meet. He had no idea why.
“Now, I feel like a baby.”

Jeremy laughed. “An old baby. See ya, later.”
“Mummy, I’m so happy!” Purity shrieked in excitement, throwing her hands round her mother.

Prudence tried very hard not to stumble, she held her daughter firmly. “Honey, I’m happy for you too.” Prudence was full of smiles. But her daughter was pushing her. She couldn’t carry her up, she had put on weight and was not a little baby anymore. “If you continue like this, I’d fall to the ground and I won’t take it easy on you.” Prudence cautioned, feigning anger.

Purity laughed. “I’m sorry, mama. I won’t let you fall.”

Aaron Theodore stood at the doorway, watching his wife and daughter. His joy knew no bounds. He couldn’t believe it! His purity was giggling and having fun with the mother. What was making her so happy? Its been ages since he last saw his daughter that way. He was glad he lived to see this moment. All the praise goes to God that he didn’t give up on his daughter. Their complete happiness had just begin.
He cleared his throat loudly.

Both mother and daughter turned simultaneously to the direction the sound came from. Prudence grinned on seeing her husband, while Purity turned away from his piercing eyes, shyly.

“What are you two celebrating?” Aaron enquired, marching to join them.

They didn’t answer, they giggled.

Aaron got to the sofa and sat with them. “You’re not telling me?” he frowned.

“Purity, tell your father,” Prudence whispered.

...to be continued

1 Like

Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Oyinprince(m): 2:02pm On May 10, 2016
Afraid to Love - Episode 15

By Patience Ahworegba

“Do you want this engagement party or not?” Jeremy asked his father. He had been arguing with his father for over twenty minutes. He wanted the party while his father did not. Edwin Broderick might have brought them together, but the decision was his to make. It was him engaged and getting married, not his father.

“You’ve given her the ring, what more do you want?” Edwin asked, he was getting tired.

Jeremy whooshed in a breath and scratched his head. “I have already answered that question.”

“I think I forgot the reply you have given me.”

Jeremy was beginning to get impatient. This man was playing games with him. “I don’t want to keep this engagement a secret. I want the virtually the whole world to know. Want them to know the unique angel that had captured my heart and making me her prisoner for life.” He was smiling.

Edwin smiled too. “Fine. Do it.” He was really glad his son agreed to wed Purity. She too had accepted. What more could he have asked for? Emily’s last wish was now getting done. He just had to wait till they take the wedding vows. They couldn’t disappoint him. He was gonna die a happy man.

“Thank you, father.” Jeremy couldn’t hide his joy. He embraced his father. “I’d see you when I get back.”

“Your cousin is in town. Invite him.”

“What cousin? I have a cousin?” Jeremy was surprised at that. He had another relative he never knew of? How was that possible? Jeremy shot his father a questioning look.

“Alright, alright.” Edwin understood his look. “My sister’s son. I didn’t to you to him and her family for they were out of town. Now, they are back. You’ll get to meet them soon.”

A family reunion? How was he gonna accept them? His father had never mentioned it. However, his engagement party to Purity mattered to him. To think about an unknown cousin, aunt and the rest wasn’t what he was going to do. But he had to know them.
“Give me a name.” he demanded.

“Em…….um………”

His cell phone rang. It was his P.A calling.
“Yes, Adam.”

“Something’s not right, please come over.”

What could go wrong? “I’ll be right there.” He threw the phone into his pocket and faced his father who was having a hard time remembering the name of his cousin. Jeremy felt pity for the old man. “Father, its okay. You can remember it later. Please get some rest and take your medication. The servants will watch over you. I need to get to the office, will come back for you when I’m done.”

His son was understanding. For a minute, he thought he was going to go crazy trying to remember his sister’s name and that of her son. Was he that old? It wasn’t his fault. They hadn’t contacted eachother for years till she had rung him three days ago, she wanted their children to meet. He had no idea why.
“Now, I feel like a baby.”

Jeremy laughed. “An old baby. See ya, later.”
“Mummy, I’m so happy!” Purity shrieked in excitement, throwing her hands round her mother.

Prudence tried very hard not to stumble, she held her daughter firmly. “Honey, I’m happy for you too.” Prudence was full of smiles. But her daughter was pushing her. She couldn’t carry her up, she had put on weight and was not a little baby anymore. “If you continue like this, I’d fall to the ground and I won’t take it easy on you.” Prudence cautioned, feigning anger.

Purity laughed. “I’m sorry, mama. I won’t let you fall.”

Aaron Theodore stood at the doorway, watching his wife and daughter. His joy knew no bounds. He couldn’t believe it! His purity was giggling and having fun with the mother. What was making her so happy? Its been ages since he last saw his daughter that way. He was glad he lived to see this moment. All the praise goes to God that he didn’t give up on his daughter. Their complete happiness had just begin.
He cleared his throat loudly.

Both mother and daughter turned simultaneously to the direction the sound came from. Prudence grinned on seeing her husband, while Purity turned away from his piercing eyes, shyly.

“What are you two celebrating?” Aaron enquired, marching to join them.

They didn’t answer, they giggled.

Aaron got to the sofa and sat with them. “You’re not telling me?” he frowned.

“Purity, tell your father,” Prudence whispered.

Purity shook her head. “No, you tell him,” she whispered back.

Aaron was bewildered. “When did this start happening? My wife and daughter keeping a secret?”

“Like you don’t keep secrets from us.” Purity shot at him.

Prudence frowned, she didn’t like that comment.

Aaron raised a brow. “I don’t hide things from you two,” he denied. “What am I missing out on?” he really wanted to know.

Sensing her husband’s inquisitiveness, Prudence shoved Purity’s left had to him forcefully.

Aaron caught a glimpse of the glittering ring on her finger before she drew her hand back. “Oh, my God!” he exclaimed delightedly. “My boy proposed! He finally did it! I’m so proud of him. Congratulations, my daughter.” He stood up, pushed Purity to her feet and gave her a hug.

“Thank you daddy.” She couldn’t remember the last time she was in her father’s arms. She held him tightly and smiled. It felt nice.

“I’m beginning to feel jealous,” Prudence cooed. “I’m left out.” She feigned envy.

Father and daughter laughed.

Aaron used a hand to lift Prudence off the couch. “Come and join us, sweetheart.”

Prudence joined the embrace delightfully.

“Thank you, papa, thank you, mama.” Purity couldn’t help thanking them. They made the right decision for her. The best parents ever!

“You don’t need to thank us, dear.” Prudence remarked.

“Yeah,” Aaron agreed. “Its our duty. I can’t believe this is happening.” He grinned at them. “We’re one happy family.”

Purity disagreed. “We’re not complete, my brothers.”

Prudence laughed. “She’s right.”

“Yeah. I better call them.” He let go of them. “Edwin first, why didn’t he tell me? First things first, lets celebrate.”
“What’s going on?” Jeremy asked Adam as he stepped into his office.

Adam turned to face his boss. “Its an emergency board meeting. I don’t know why its happening.”

“What do you mean you don’t know?” Jeremy threw at him, sarcastically.

“Sir, I honestly don’t know. Its concerning the new company, JP-”

“Alright, alright. Lets move to the conference room.” Jeremy concluded.

He got to his mohagony desk and grabbed files concerning Theodore’s Enterprise and the Broderick’s, he also took a fountain pen. “Adam, go to your office and take whatever you need. We’ll meet at the door.”

Adam obeyed.

Before stepping out to the meeting, Jeremy made sure he was composed. He wasn’t used to emergency meetings and hated them. He had to be ready. He prayed that things will go well. He took a deep breath. As he opened the door, he saw Tricia in front of his office, she had wanted to knock. Seeing him, she dropped her hand.

“Hi Jeremy,” she showed all her teeth.

What does this woman want? He has a meeting to attend to and trouble just found its way to him. “What do you want?”

“I’m not a vemenous snake, at least answer my greeting.” The big grin was beginning to disappear.

Jeremy wasn’t ready for an argument. He made to leave.

“Don’t go. Well,” she paused.

“Yes?” He was getting impatient.

“I’m here for a job. I want to work for you.” she offered.

Jeremy sighed and rolled his eyes. “If you need a job, you know the whole process. And besides, you can’t work here. Your dad can get you a job with the forces. Isn’t that what you read at school?” He closed the door behind him. “I’ve got work to do.”

Tricia ran after him. “I don’t want a job with the forces. I want to work with you.” She insisted.

Who put this idea in her head? “I’m sorry, its not going to be possible. Visit other companies, they can offer you a job there, but not here. We don’t even have vacancy.”

“I don’t care about that. I need this job. I really need to surprise my father. Please.” Her big green eyes, pleaded.

Jeremy sighed and thought for a while. “I’m sorry. I am not going to fall for that. If you think working here would make us get back together, you are mistaken. Its absurd to work with my ex. My private life do not mix with my business. Got that? Please leave.” He turned his back to her and headed to the conference room.

Tricia was filled with anger and bitterness. Just who does he think he is? She had begged him, but he wasn’t coming back. She hated Purity more. Her cell phone rang.

“How did it go?” A voice asked.

She gave a depressed sigh. “Badly. Didn’t work.”
She could hear the breaking of glasses. She dropped the call. “Jeremy Broderick, you’ll regret this. I promise.”

THREE WEEKS LATER

The engagement party between Jeremy Broderick and Purity Theodore has just come to an end. Edwin Broderick’s mansion served as the venue for the party. Few guests were invited. It was a family, private gathering. It was a successful event.

At a corner of the magnificent ballroom, Aaron and Prudence Theodore could be seen with Edwin Broderick chatting animatedly. Their happiness and joy could be seen from a distance. They all wanted this and finally, it came to pass. Just one person who had desired this was missing-Emily Broderick.

Purity Theodore stood out among the women- both old and young- in that room. She was dressed in a strapless gown. The fabric that flowed was elegant. If words could describe perfection, this would be it. It was her symbol of elegance. The lustrous, pearl beaded fabric of her dress glinted, light reflecting from the ball room glow. It fit flawlessly, the dress molded her torso beautifully, complimenting her feminine shape. The gown draped past her spectacular emerald heels, slightly drifting from her legs. It was the color of green. Its strapless style revealed her precious collar bones, warped in smooth, luring skin. There was a silk band at the top, lining around the top bust. The spotlight above beaming directly on her and the darker cream, intricate, floral design was glittering.

Her hair was tied in a bun. A sparkling hair pin designed it. Her posture was perfect, her shoulders pulled back and her hands in front of her. Her eyes were roving around the room, searching for her prince charming. She’d accidentally spilled juice on his tuxedo, due to her nervousness. He’d excused himself and went in to change. Now, she couldn’t find him. He’s taking too long, she mused. She bit her soft, thin lips coated with red lipstick in worry. She tossed her head to the left, then she saw him.

The suit was grey, sharp-looking and well fitted. Exactly the sort of thing she’d have picked for him-after all, he was her man. That was something that made her a bit nervous. Still, it fit well, it made him look very handsome, and when her smiled, it was a little bit magical. It was perfect for his suave manners.

He radiated an air of quiet confidence. The three button suit was tailored to precisely match the contours of his body, giving him a lithe-some appearance; yet there was nothing effeminate in his bearing. His hair cut was amazing-a hair she was tempted to touch, to feel whenever he was close to her. As he walked confidently to her direction, her heart fluttered.

He finally got to her. A smile flittered across his face. “Been searching for me?”

She returned his smile sweetly. “People must be wondering why the couple celebrating aren’t together.” she replied, escaping his question.

Jeremy smiled mischievously. “I’m sorry, my love. Did I take too long?” He spread his arms wide. “I must be looking magnificent. I took my time just for you.” He winked at her.

Purity frowned. “You must be full of yourself. I wish you could see your face.” She smiled devilishly. “You are so ugly.”

He couldn’t help it but laugh out loud. “Women are attracted to pretty men, aren’t they? Those women are drooling over me.” he pointed to a group of women.

Purity’s eyes followed his finger to were he pointed. “Where are they?”

Jeremy smirked. “Oh, she’s jealous.” He encircled his left arms round her slender waist. “Lets go chat with your brothers. I want to meet them.”

Purity never expected him to her waist, nevertheless, she welcomed it. It felt good to have a strong arm on her body, protecting her.

He didn’t wait for her reply. He moved and she followed. They steadily walked together till they got to where her brothers were having fun.

Rodney caught sight of the couple. He grinned. “Hey, brother-in-law. Come join us.”

Jeremy was pleased. “Thank you. Jeremy would be okay.”

Ronald smiled. “Jeremy, you finally captured our baby sister’s heart. Who’d have thought she’d ever get married?”

Rodney nodded in agreement. They all laughed.

“I’m not a baby!” Purity protested. “And its not a wedding, an engagement party.” Now, she had to bear her brothers mocking her. They always did.

“Congratulations.” A strange voice greeted.

Purity froze on hearing that voice. It shouldn’t be.

They all turned to face the person who had just spoken. Then Jeremy recalled something. “Thank you.” He turned to Purity. “I want you to meet my cousin-Ernest. Ernest Turner.”

... To be continued

Read up to Chapter 25 @ www.youngicee.com

1 Like

Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Missmossy(f): 6:19pm On May 10, 2016
What!! So they are cousins, interesting cheesy
Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Bose253(f): 7:21am On May 11, 2016
smiley

1 Like

Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Coolval22com: 7:33am On May 11, 2016

1 Like

Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by emsco(m): 9:02am On May 11, 2016
Lovely story but you can turn your script into movies and let everyone see it. Am a film maker/cinematographer with experience team. We are affordable,reach me on 08131501631
Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Nobody: 9:03am On May 11, 2016
I hope we don't start begging for updates like other nl writers as the story progresses
Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Oyinprince(m): 9:08am On May 11, 2016
By Patience Ahworegba

Purity hadn’t turned to looked at the person. Now she had to. Slowly, she turned around. That face-the face she never wanted to see faced her, smiling.

She could feel her heart ripping out of her chest. What was going on? Jeremy had a cousin and he never told her about it until now? And this cousin turns out to be her worst night mare-Ernest. He life was definitely going to come to an end, it had all crumbled. What was she going to do? How could she not have seen this coming? If Ernest tells Jeremy? She’d been involved with Ernest in the past and now, Jeremy? What would he think of her? Ugly and embarrassing picture evoked her mind. She just wished the ground would open and swallow her up. Her legs were planted to the ground. She still couldn’t move.

“Purity? Are you okay?” Jeremy asked. He couldn’t understand her attitude. Didn’t know why she became still. Was she about to faint again? He firmly held her hand and gently shook her.

Feeling Jeremy’s hand on hers, she was startled, almost jumped out of her skin. “Jeremy….why? Um….” She lost the courage to speak, four questioning eyes were boldly staring at her. It was her bad. The shock of seeing Ernest at her party and knowing he was her fiance’s cousin still overwhelmed her. She couldn’t bring herself down, yet. She had to act like she didn’t know him.
She gave a nervous laugh. “I’m sorry. Was just…..you know…..lost in the world of fantasy.”

Jeremy heaved a sigh of relief. He was glad she was alright. Nothing should go wrong on this special night. “Care to share with us this fantasy of yours?”

“She just met me. Maybe it was about me.” Ernest chuckled.

Purity glared furiously at him. “Sorry to burst your bubble. It was about my darling, Jeremy.” She smiled coyly at Jeremy. And held her hand for a handshake. “Nice to meet you, Ernest.”

Ernest shook her hand firmly and refused letting go. He deeply admired her and loved the touch of her palm. “I must confess, my cousin has great taste. You’re fabulous.” At that, he let her hand drop.

“Of course,” Ronald chipped in. “Our baby sister is charming. Jeremy is one lucky guy. He’s bewitched her.”

Purity was beginning to feel better. She wasn’t going to let anyone ruin her night. “For now, I agree I am a baby. I’ve got to many men on my side, who’d give their lives for me.” A smiled played on her lips. That statement was directly for Ernest. It worked. She saw flashes of anger in his eyes. She smiled confidently. “Excuse me, I need to use the restroom.”

“Can I come with you?” Jeremy winked at her.

She blushed furiously. “In your dreams.”

“Purity’s one hell of a girl,”Jeremy muttered as she was out of ear shot.

Rodney and Ronald laughed.

“That’s our sister, but she’s precious to us,” Rodney told him.

“How did she even fall for you?” Ronald questioned. “She has always hated men. Melisa, ah….she’s a no go area.”

“Excuse me? Melisa? Who is Melisa?” Jeremy asked, confused.

The twin brothers exchanged glances. “She hasn’t told you?” they asked in unison.

Jeremy shook his head.

“Melisa is Purity. In fact, its her favourite name.” Ronald informed him.

“Oh,” Jeremy smiled. “She loves ‘Purity.’ And I’ll go by that.”

“You wish.”

“I’ll take good care of your sister. I do love her, very much. You don’t need to worry.”

“We don’t doubt that. But how come? She loves yu too?”

Jeremy chuckled. “Its a long story.”
Purity, in the wash room. She raised her head to face the mirror. She was trying to be brave, to face Ernest and then tell Jeremy the truth. She heard the door creak open, she turned to it, but couldn’t see anyone. Sighing, she faced the mirror again. Then, she felt a hand on her waist. A strong masculine hand. He eyes widened with horror.

“I have come, to make you mine.”

Purity trembled on hearing that voice. Did she even share a thing with this Ernest? Why was he bent on ruining her life? No man could ever manipulate her like that, she wasn’t going to give him any pleasure of him troubling her. She was gonna deal with him. Let him know no man controls her life or tells her what to do. He wasn’t Jeremy or her father.
“Let go!” She ordered. Her two hands gripped the sink tightly.

Ernest hardened his hold on her waist. He gently sniffed in her scent. “Oh, how much I’ve longed for this touch. To feel you, to want you again. Oh, my Melisa. I’ve missed you so much. Why don’t you come back to me? I know how to treat you. Please.”

A word Ernest uttered didn’t move her. She was used to men pleading with her-even Aaron Theodore-so why should this one make any sense? She only met him once and it was one night. So why should she become his wife or be indebted to him forever? That was the biggest mistake of her life. He should be asking for forgiveness not asking to be with her again. He doesn’t feel guilty?
“Let me go! If you don’t release me right away, I’m gonna scream. What is a man doing in the ladies room?” She rhetorically asked. “Let go!”

He couldn’t risk being caught. Not by any woman or man. He had to admit it – he’d prefer it if Jeremy walked in find them that way. It’d please him to watch the young couple fight especially when he’s the reason for it.

Satisfied with the sent of her, he freed and forcefully turned her to face him. He was much more powerful.

Purity did all she could to fight him. She was scared at that moment, she thought he was gonna rape her. She never wanted to be a victim of rape. She’d rather die a virgin. “What are you trying to do?” She asked immediately Ernest turned her to face him. He was very close to her. She perceived his cologne which brought ugly images to her head. They reminded her of a past she’d forgotten. d--n this man! She hated him so much.

Ernest chuckled wickedly. “Darling, we can’t take here. I’m taking you out.”

Purity was slightly relieved hearing her didn’t want to rape her. He was taking her out? But to where? Maybe he was scared. Didn’t want any woman to meet him there. “You find it dangerous if you’re caught here with a woman against her will?” She laughed nervously.

“Shut up!” Ernest took hold of her right hand and made to drag her out of the rest room.

She violently resisted his hold. “Where are you taking me?” her eyes blazing with anger.

“Keep your voice down. I want us to go out and talk in a more conducive environment.”

Purity stubbornly shook her head. “I’m not going anywhere with you. This is my engagement party. My fiance and brothers are waiting for me. I have to go join them.”

Hearing her call his cousin her fiance got him upset. He wanted to be her man, her everything and not that d--n Jeremy. How could they even be related? “I hope he comes and finds us this way.”

She glared at him.

“Where do we go to talk?” he demanded fiercely.

Purity sighed. She too didn’t want Jeremy or anyone to find them that way. “Lets go out, through the back door. We can stay under the trees close to the pool.”

Ernest smiled triumphantly. “Lets move, my princess. We need to be extra careful, so as not to be seen by anybody.”

“What is it you want to talk about?” Purity threw at him as soon as they were safe and out of earshot under the trees. It wasn’t easy getting out there. The many servants, they had to escape them all. Well, they made it. “And please, make it snappy.” She added. All she needed was to be with Jeremy and not an idiot.

Ernest stared at her with love written in his eyes. “Can’t you see I can’t forget you? You have always been in my head since that night. In my heart, you’ve always remained.”

“We never had a relationship. We never did anything. I want myself that night. I was drunk. All that happened, I regret deeply. Its a wound that has healed. I don’t want to remember it anymore. You can’t have me. Its not possible.” Purity felt nothing but pity for him, but she wasn’t going to let her feelings control her.

“Do you really mean that?” Ernest was crushed.

Purity shifted her gaze from his. “Yes, I mean it.”

“What now makes my cousin different from me?” He wasn’t letting go easily.

She smiled on hearing that question. “Everything about him is different. The way he talks, walks, eats. The manner he treats me is so much romantic.”

Ernest frowned deeply. “You are just fantasizing about those things. He might be kind to you now, for a reason. Who know he might change after having you on his bed?”

“What is your problem? Why do you want to make Jeremy a devil to me?”

“‘Cause we men are all the same. We have different tactics of getting the woman we want. Jeremy is just lying and I’m telling you the truth.”

“You’re a big liar. Jeremy would never do that.”

“He’s a womanizer. Different women has slept with him. Why do you think he’ll change for you?”
Jeremy glanced at his gold chain wrist watch for the fifth time. A frown creased his forehead. Where the hell is Purity? His eyes searched the entire ball room as he half heartedly listened to what the brothers were saying. His mind was all about Purity. He really wanted to be with her. They were the couple celebrating and had to be together. Where did she disappear to? Had the restroom swallowed her or what? Its been over twenty minutes. He prayed she hadn’t fainted again. She should be fine. He inhaled deeply.

Rodney noticed his anxiety. “Hey, Jeremy what’s wrong?”

“Have you been listening to my story?” Ronald enquired, he saw the lines formed on Jeremy’s face.

Jeremy sighed. “Honestly, I’ve not and I’m not fine. Purity, she’s taking too long.”

The twins laughed.

“She’s gonna come soon. Are you scared she’s gonna disappear?”

Jeremy stared at Ronald with eyes full of pity, as if he was going to cry.

“Come on, she’ll be back soon. Don’t cry.”

It was Jeremy’s turn to laugh. “Thank you so much? It was nice meeting you two.” He briefly shook hands with them. “I’ve got to find her. I should have followed her.”

“All the best.”

Jeremy nodded and left them.

“What’s wrong with him?”

“He’s in love with our Purity.”

Ronald smiled. “I’m glad she found someone like him. They deserve eachother.”

“Come, lets go chat with dad and mum, I’ve missed them.”

“So have I.” Rodney led the way.
Jeremy walked briskly towards the ladies restroom. He so much needed to find Purity. He had never been in one before, but he would just because of his Purity. He’s missing her and wants to see her, to gaze into those lovely eyes. That stubborn woman, where could she have disappeared to? He finally got to the door. As he reached out for the door knob, a voice stopped him.

“If I were you, I wouldn’t do that.”

He dropped his hand. He knew that voice.
“Tricia, what are you doing here?”

She smiled. “I should be asking you that. What were you about to do? Go into the ladies room?”

Jeremy scratched his head.

That, she admired.

“I mean in my house. This party, what are you doing here?”

She rolled her eyes and bit her lips seductively. “I came with an invited guest. I’m his date. Ernest.”

“Ernest? My cousin?” What was Ernest doing with Tricia-his ex. Does he even know that?

“Whoa!” Tricia exclaimed. “He’s your cousin?” She was glad.

“Yes.” He had to focus on his aim. “I’m searching for my fiancee, did you by any chance see her? Is she in there?” he pointed at the door of the restroom.

Tricia chuckled. “I did, I think I saw her come out with someone.”

“Do you know where she is?”

She smiled and licked her lips. “I do. Can take you there if you want.”

Jeremy nodded.

Seconds later, they were up at the balcony. From there, its possible to see the entire vicinity. Tricia paced, as if searching for something. Her eyes lit up in joy as she saw what she had been looking for.

“What are we doing up here?” Jeremy was confused and disturbed at the same time.

“You’ve got to see this.”

Jeremy walked up to Tricia and saw what she asked him to see.

She hid her smile. “That’s the virgin you left me for. Look what she’s doing.”
... To be continued

1 Like

Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Oyinprince(m): 9:14am On May 11, 2016
Afraid to love - Episode 17

By Patience Ahworegba

Files piled up on his desk and Adam his P.A kept bringing in more and more files. They all needed his signature. He wished Adam could sign just like him so he’d get to sign on those papers. Jeremy was in no mood to work. He still couldn’t get over the shock he felt last night. Seeing Purity in the arms of his cousin got him crazy. It was appaling. He never imagined Purity doing that. But Tricia took him there and she had told him she was with Ernest. Could it be that they plotted that? Ernest just arrived, how was that even possible? Purity bothered him more, he had to know what she was doing with that man. She was pure? Had she been lying to him? There were so many douts, he just didn’t know what to think anymore.

The door of his office opened, Adam walked in, carrying a pile of files. Jeremy stared at him motionless.

“Sir?” Adam was worried about his boss. He has entered his office up to three times and his boss had just sat down without saying a word to him. He wasn’t his normal cheerful self. Something was wrong. He had to be happy, only last night he had his engagement part, why is he now sulky? Adam couldn’t bear to see his boss that way. He had to help him. He so much wanted to.
“Sir?” he called again.

Jeremy didn’t respond.

Adam gently squeezed his shoulder.

Jeremy shuddered on fright, feeling a hand on his shoulder. When he got to see that it was Adam, he tried calming his nerves.

“Don’t be scared, boss. Its me, Adam.” he tried to pacify him. Seeing his reaction, he knew that all was not well. “I don’t think you are fine.”

Jeremy groaned and relaxed back on the chair. He raked a hand through his hair. “Is my fiancee here?” She was still his, no matter how angry he was at her.

“You mean Purity Theodore?” Adam was relieved that his boss had spoken.

He nodded in affirmation.

“No. No one’s here.”

Jeremy glanced at his wrist watch. What’s keeping her? She should be here by now. “If she comes, please let her in.”

“Alright. Are you okay?”

That question was unexpected. “I am fine.”

“I don’t think you are. There is so much work to do and you’ve not done any.” He drew his attention to the piled up files on his desk. “Not only that, you haven’t said a word to me this morning until now. You are not yourself. If you are not okay, you should rest. All these can wait.”

Jeremy was impressed. There was someone who cared about him besides his family. He felt loved, like any brother would have for him. He smiled in appreciation. “Thanks Adam. I’ll just wait here in my office for Purity and rest at the same time.”

Adam was happy. “That will be better. I’m sure Miss Theodore can help you feel better. I’m off.”

Inwardly, Jeremy hoped that Purity would make him feel better. She just had to. The way he felt, only she had made him that way. He had never been that angry at any woman before, neither had he been jealous. It was good he could keep is feelings in check. It would have been too bad for his cousin if he didn’t know how. He’d have strangled him.

He raised his head and was stunned to see a female figure sitting comfortably on a chair opposite him. There was a lovely smile on her face which he considered disgusting. Her appearance was only going to add to his troubles. If Purity comes and find them together? He had to get rid of her.
“How did you get in here without my knowledge?”

She smiled broadly. “When I got here, you were deep in thoughts. So, I preferred sitting here and waiting till you got back from the world of fantasy.”

Darn it! Was he that absorbed in those thoughts? “Did you even knock?”

“I don’t need to knock. I’m already familiar with this company.”

A slight frown of disapproval appeared on Jeremy’s face. Arguing with her wasn’t on his menu, the little strength he had, he had to reserve it for Purity-that would be hell.
“Tell me what you came for?”

“You are looking weary, are you good?” She bluntly ignored his statement.

“If you don’t have anything doing here, get out.” He was rude, but that didn’t bother him.

Tricia wrinkled her nose. “I know you’re still hurt and getting over what you saw last night. I’m here to help.”

Her statement troubled him more. “What do you mean by that? Help me with what? I don’t remember texting you or calling you to come help me out.”

She rolled her eyes. “Relax, I know you didn’t ask for my help. As a good friend that I’ve always been, I figured out you need it.”

Jeremy scratched his head. “What kind of help are you here to offer?”

She grinned. “You are heartbroken. You are in need of a company.”

He gave a mocking laugh. “Who told you I’m heartbroken?”

“I said, I just figured out you could be.” She shifted uncomfortably on the chair.

He shook his head in amusement. “Now, your help isn’t needed. Please, leave.”

Tricia pursed her lips. Now, that didn’t work out. Something else has to. “Why do you hate my presence this much? Jeremy, we’ve been friends, more than friends for close to four years now. Suddenly, you begin disliking me? What did I do wrong? Any time I come to visit, its either you throw me out or walk out on me.” She stood up and paced around his office.

Jeremy silently examined her.

“Today, I came to render assistance,” She turned to face him. “I know you are not okay after seeing what you saw last night. I came to help you get better and now you ask me to leave? I’m heartbroken too.”

He instantly felt sorry for her. Maybe she truly wanted to help him. “Tricia, sit down. I’m sorry for reacting the way I did. Honestly, I am not fine.”

She smiled to herself and resumed her seat. “What is bothering you?”

He placed his left elbow on his desk and rested his head on that arm. “I just don’t get it. What were they doing out there all alone in the dark? That was Purity’s engagement party. How could she? What does she even have with Ernest?”

“I’m as confused as you are. Don’t know why Ernest broke my heart this way,” she muttered sadly.

Jeremy stared at her. “What’s with you? Weeks before that party, you were all over me and even wanted to work with me. Now you say you’re heartbroken, how is that even possible?”

That question hit her hard. “You want me to keep mourning you? I dare not. I’ve got other things to do.”

He kept looking at her in askance. “I really hope that’s true.” He was sure she wasn’t saying the truth. He could read her like a book. “Have you heard from Ernest? What did he tell you?”

She shook her head. “Nothing. Have you?”

“I don’t even like him. There’s something sinister about him. Need to talk to Purity before anyone else. He might tell lies about her.”

“Talk to him first. Your virgin might be the one lying. You never can tell.”

“You sound so convinced, like you know a lot about her. Tell me what you know.”

“I don’t know anything.” She denied.

Jeremy wasn’t buying that. “Out with it.”

She sighed. “Okay. Don’t tell anyone about this. Ernest mentioned to me that they had met years back and kind of dated.”

Jeremy couldn’t believe what he just heard. Dated? Dated? Purity had told him she had never dated any guy. He was the person who had stolen her first kiss. What was this devil trying to do? Split them apart? He was suddenly crazed with anger. “Who gave you the guts to say such lies about my fiancee to my face?” he hauled himself off the swivel chair.

Tricia was scared. “Its… Its..the…..truth.”

“The truth? What do you hope to gain if you put us apart? Purity was in Ernest arms last night. You took me up and showed them to me. How did you even know they were there, together? You two most have planned it. I don’t even get how Ernest is involved but you, you’re no exception.”

Tricia was ashamed of herself. She had to cover it up. “How dare you accuse me of that? Yes, I was in love with you, but I no longer do. I…. I only told you what he told me. I’m hurt as well. The second time by two cousins. Jeremy, I’m hurt.”

“Get out!” he barked at her.

She didn’t know what demon had possessed Jeremy. She hadn’t seen him that way before. He trusted Purity so much and protected her. We’ll see if that trust remains after what he saw and what she just told him. Let’s see if he can protect her from this, she thought silently to herself. Receiving one more blank look from Jeremy, she scurried away.

Ronald beamed with joy as he caught sight of his brother-in-law at the front door. “Welcome, Jeremy.”

Jeremy stepped into the well furnished living room. He had his hopes up.

Ronald closed the door behind him. “Take a sit.”

“Don’t bother, I’ll stand. Where’s Purity?” He didn’t want to spend time there, just to get Purity and move to a quiet place where they would talk. He hadn’t seen her after the previous night and was so worried about her. He badly wanted to see her. He knew it was going to be really difficult talking to her after what he’d seen that night. The anger was there, however, he still wanted to be with her, he craved for her. Now he was the one going after her- it was women that usually come after him. It was very different with Purity, he didn’t mind at all. Love could really change people.

“Purity’s not home.” Ronald flatly told hm, dragging him from his reverie.

Ronald’s words hadn’t sank into Jeremy’s head. He waited for few seconds to let the words sink in. “She’s not home?”

“I just said that.”

Jeremy was beginning to get angry. It was her fault, all her fault. They were to meet. She was the one to come to his office, but she hadn’t; he was at her home for her only to be informed that she wasn’t there. Purity Theodore, what is wrong with you?
“Where can I find her?”

“Um,” Ronald was confused. He had no idea what was going on between Jeremy and his sister. Purity was worse, she was acting strange and going back to her former self. “Should be at the company.”

“Thanks.” He could have gone there first. He turned his back to Ronald and went straight to the door.

“Wait.”

Jeremy stopped walking and turned to face Ronald. He sent him a questioning look.

“What’s up with you two? Purity is weird.”

He smirked. It had to happen. “Normal crisis in a relationship. We’ll get it fixed. Bye.”

Jeremy found his way out of the house before he be interrogated by Ronald. Those inquisitive eyes and his puzzled look. Jeremy knew that if he started answering his questions, he’d never leave and his pending conversation with Purity would be post-poned and that would make matters even worse. Thank God he escaped. It’d be up to the brothers to figure out the whole thing for themselves. If they really wanted to know.

Hastily, he slid into his car and drove out of the Theodore’s duplex, going straight to the Theodore’s Enterprise. Purity, Purity, Purity. This woman was making him go crazy. He left his work just for her. How many women make him do this?
“Good afternoon, sir.” Heather greeted Jeremy.

Jeremy smiled in return. He took his time to examine Purity’s secretary. He remembered the first day he was there, it was really an ugly scene between them both. He hadn’t seen her since then. She was pretty and well mannered. He felt sorry for her, knowing she was putting up with Purity and all her crazy acts. Maybe the secretary wasn’t all that bad, but her big mouth was what made Purity treat her that way. His smile turned into a grin as he recalled that day’s event.
“How are you doing?”

“I’m fine, sir.” She replied, looking down.

Jeremy observed this, “Are you scared of me?”

She looked up at him and held his gaze. “Of course, not. Why should I be?”

He laughed loud. “You still remember what happened the first day I was here?”

Heather cursed that day. It was a very embarrassing day for her. She hated to remember it.^”Sir, why are you here?” Heather didn’t want to discuss that day.

Jeremy understood. “To see my fiancee of course.”

That statement surprised her. “But sir, she’s not here.”

“What do you mean by that? Didn’t she come to work this morning?”

Heather nodded. “She did. But left thirty minutes after she arrived. She was acting awkward.”

Oh, no. This can’t be happening. “Did she tell you were she was going?”

“She didn’t.”

“Holy s--t!” he exclaimed, enraged. “What is wrong with her?” He couldn’t quite place his fingers on it. Something was wrong with that woman.

Still enraged, he went into her office. The door was unlocked. The room was neat and in order, as if she never came in. But the desk was disorganized. Seems she left in a hurry, as if running away from something, he thought to himself. He got to the desk and laid his hands on it. He saw a piece of paper in her writing and read it. “Country house?”

... To be continued

1 Like

Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by theconcealed: 9:22am On May 11, 2016
Interesting story. More oil to your brain OP.
Please I need a soft or hard copy of these books:. Ireke Onibudo and Ogboju Ode Ninu Igbo Irumole .I read them when I was really young and I've been longing to read them again. Looking forward to positive responses. Thanks
Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by jerrymej(m): 9:25am On May 11, 2016
This Bluetooth can't konnect with me!!!
Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Oyinprince(m): 9:28am On May 11, 2016
Afraid to Love - Episode 18

By Patience Ahworegba

“What do you mean you’ve come to take me ‘to where I belong?'” Purity tried her possible best to hide her excitement. She was filled with joy. Jeremy had come to take her, not to fight with her. Her heart leapt with joy.

“You belong to me, with me. You are my wife, Purity.” Jeremy was very happy to see her. If he had not seen her, he might have died. The anger was there, but when he saw her, it all vanished. He really loved her.

“I’m not your wife. It was just want engagement party.” She grinned.

“And that means we’ll get married. Wait a minute,” he gave her a puzzled look. “Are you thinking of changing your mind?”

She made a face.^”I never said that.”

He heaved a sigh of relief and scanned her intently. “You’re crying. Why have you been crying?”

Hadn’t she wiped away all the tears? Oh, he had been watching her, silently. “Its nothing.” She became moody.

“Are you feeling guilty? You feel bad?”

Purity rolled her eyes. “Please don’t remind me of that. I deeply regret it.”

His heart went out to her. He really had to hear her out. He moved closer to her and took her hand. “You want to talk about it?”

She bit her lips hard and the tears fell. “Jeremy, please give me a hug.”

Jeremy took her into his arms and held her tight. He cuddled her like a baby. He wanted to protect her and make her his forever. She was so vulnerable. He was sure no man had ever seen her like that. He felt good being the first. “Sweetie, you don’t need to ask,” he whispered.

She didn’t reply. Her hold on him tightened. She felt warmth, inner peace and comfort in his arms. This was her place, where she belonged and where she wanted to stay forever. She smiled to herself.

“How are you feeling now?” he affectionately ruffled her hair.

She sighed deeply. She loved the feel of his hand on her hair. “Much more better. Thank you.”

“Aha! My princess has learned to say thank you.” His eyes twinkled. “What is this place?”

“It belongs to my father. Haven’t been here in years.”

He let her go. “Are you running from something?”

“I need to tell you something. Its important.”

He nodded. “I’m sure it is. Lets go in, then you can tell me all about it.”

Purity agreed with him. She guided him as they walked into the country house.

Jeremy admired what he saw. “Its beautiful in here.” He found himself a seat.

She sat beside him. “I’m glad you like it.”

“What you have to tell me, is it about what I saw last night?”

“Yes, it is. And a lot more.” She sighed.

Jeremy carefully squeezed her hand. “Honey, you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to. Its really troubling you. Tell me when you’re ready. Please.”

She faced him and let her fingers run under his. “I’m ready. If I’m not able to tell you now, I don’t think I’ll ever do it again.”

A smile formed on Jeremy’s face. He really wanted to hear her story. “I’m willing to hear it. But first, lets drink something, I’m thirsty.”
“What are you planning to do next?” Tricia questioned Ernest. She could not wait anymore. Jeremy, she wanted him on her side, she would forgive him for all the pain and embarrassment he had caused her or he would pay.

Ernest snickered. “Something I can’t disclose to you or anyone yet.”

“You can’t even give me a clue, an idea?”

“Nope. That’s not possible.” he wasn’t willing to risk a thing. He didn’t trust Tricia that much. She was obsessed with his cousin.

“Well, is it dangerous?” She had to get something out of him. She wanted to be involved.

He chuckled wickedly within himself. “I’m not telling you a thing,” he insisted.

She tossed her head this way and that. “Its obvious you don’t even trust me. I don’t blame you, but you have to. They are both experiencing a tough time and we did it together. We could trust eachother.” She sounded persuasive.

“Alright, fine. Its a little bit dangerous.”

She frowned. “Hope its not going to take lives, especially that of Jeremy. I won’t let anyone hurt him.”

“I have to go.” He walked out on her.
“Here is your drink.” She handed him a glass of white wine.

“Thank you.”

She closed her eyes and heaved a deep sigh. “This is my story.”

Jeremy lovingly patted her shoulder, urging her to carry on.

She hesitated for few seconds. A lot of things were running through her mind. She was about to share her dark secret with someone, a man. It was something she had to do. She couldn’t lose Jeremy now or let their parents down. Her rules and promises no longer mattered, carrying out Emily’s last wish did.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” Jeremy was already disappointed. She had always hated him. She’d never trust him. Why didn’t he remember that? His feelings just took control over him.

“It was my prom night.” Those memories came back to her, gradually. One piece ar a time. “My two best friends and I planned to be alone that night. While the rest had their dates and would be dancing, the three of us would be together.

“Before then, I had never had a date. Never had anything to do with boys. My two friends had and they were used, the boys they had relationships with toyed with their feelings. They were badly hurt-took them a great deal of time to recover. I didn’t want to feel that way. Never wanted to be heartbroken, so vulnerable and lost. That being the case, I ruled boys and men out of my life.

“On that night, I dressed beautifully. I was so gorgeous that men asked me out that night. I snubbed them all. I got to our school hall feeling confident and very happy. My aim was to make those other girls jealous of my friends and I. I got to the hall to meet the greatest shook of my life. My two friends betrayed me. Each of them had a date that night and they arranged a guy for me. They hurt my feelings so much. The reason they gave me was that I behaved like an old fashioned girl; a man could change my life and make me normal like other girls.”

A tear slid down her cheek. She really didn’t have to, didn’t need to, but she wanted to. She could bear the pains for now, soon it’d be all over. She dried the tear and continued.

“I really felt bad that my friends considered me abnormal because I refused having anything to do with boys. They went ahead and brought one for me. It hurt me so much. I felt betrayed, deceived and enraged at them. I was bitter, bitter at boys because they caused the rift between my friends and I. I poured out my feelings to them, how hurt I was. But still, they chose the guys over me.”

Purity’s voice was beginning to shake. The hurt and betrayal, she was feeling them again. The healed wound was opened and she let the tears fall freely.

“Stop. I don’t like seeing you cry.” Jeremy pleaded with her. He couldn’t take it anymore. A woman’s tears was what he could not stand. He felt her pain, it cut him deep.

“No,” she whimpered. “I have to tell you.” Nothing was going to stop her. “Infuriated, I stomped out of the hall. I got into my car and drove. I was very angry, I didn’t know where I was driving to. I was weeping bitterly as I drove. Then, I passed a bar. I reversed and went back to it. I smiled on seeing it. I wiped away my tears and applied more make up. My lips were coated with red lipstick-signaling danger.

“I grinned and went in. I was going to show those girls that I wasn’t old fashioned, I wasn’t gonna let a man hurt me, I’d be the one to break his heart. I began hating men more, for they were the reasons my friends left me. It was noisy, the music was very loud. Men and woman were on the dance floor enjoying themselves. It was disgusting to me. All forms of immoral acts were going on. My feeling of anger restrained me from leaving. I got to the counter and asked for drinks. I started drinking. I drank up to four bottles and was beginning to feel tipsy. That was when your cousin came to me.”
FLASHBACK.
It was her fifth bottle. The feelings of despair was beginning to disappear. She was starting to feel normal, but in a different way.

Slightly drunk, but still knew what was going around her. She abandoned her drink on the counter to face the men and women. Silently, she searched for a victim, she was to break his heart.

“Hello pretty,” a masculine voice greeted her.

Sixteen year old Purity was excited. That was the first time she was called pretty by a guy besides her family members. Others referred to her as hot or sexy. She smiled broadly and invited him to join her. “What’s up, handsome?”

He gracefully took a seat beside her. “I’m here for you, baby.” He leaned closer to her. “Hmm. You smell nice.”

Purity giggled. “You like me already?” She believed she was in full control of herself. Acting like she’s desperate was going to be fun. The fun was going to increase when she’d break his heart. Hurt him real bad.

“I do.” He was curious about this girl. This bar, he’d always visited and knew almost all the customers there. But this face, he had never seen before. She looked pure and innocent, why was she here? Her look was in direct contrast with the way she spoke. “Are you alone?”

“Yes, I’m all alone.” She emphasized. Making progress in her plan; she turned to face her drink. “Would you like some?”

He smiled. “I’d love to. I can never refuse such a pretty angel.”

“Bring more drinks!” She said to the waiter. “Since he’s taking his time, lets share mine. Please, come closer.” She folded her right palm and let only her index finger stand. She moved it front and back, urging him to move closer to her. She gave an innocent smile and giggled.

That was a bold step. How many girls are this outspoken? She wasn’t shy, she told him wat she wanted and didn’t feel guilty about it. Very different from her angelic look. Maybe she was, or the influence of alcohol? She doesn’t look like one drunk. Without much contemplation, he pulled his seat close to hers. “Its my turn to drink.” He took hold of the bottle and swallowed its content in one gulp.

Purity was impressed. “That was good. Very good.” She leaned to him and inhaled his cologne. Their faces were inches apart.

He wanted to taste her lips. He already had a little taste of it from the bottle. Those red lips. He loved danger. His pushed his head forward. To his utter dismay, she pulled hers back.

“No, no,” she used her fingers to caution him. “Its too early for that. Lets drink away our sorrows and unhappiness.” She handed him a bottle.

Sorrow. Then, she was sad, he mused. That’s the reason she’s here. He was going to know why and try to help her. “What’s your name? I’m Ernest, Ernest Turner.”

“I don’t give my name to strangers.” Purity chuckled. “That name- Ernest sounds nice. Hope you are earnest?” She asked rhetorically.

He held her hand and kissed it tenderly. He was glad she didn’t object. “I’m no stranger to you. We’re friends already.” He moved his fingers over her arm and loved her soft, smooth skin.

Purity didn’t flinch. She enjoyed every bit of it. A smile touched the corners of her mouth. “What name sounds so sweet that men would love to hear?” She never intended to give him her real name.

He continued touching her hand. “I don’t know. Um….. Something like Kaylee would do the trick.”

“Nope. Call me Melisa.” She took her hand back from him.

“Melisa. What are you doing in a place like this? What brought you here?” his curiosity had not dwindled.

“Forget about that. Lets enjoy ourselves.” She held up a bottle and took a sip. Deep within her, she didn’t want to take another drink. It was enough, all okay for her to carry out her mischievous plan. She always had her way and it should work well for her this time. She pretended to be emptying her bottles.

Ernest wasn’t smart enough to notice that. He really wanted this girl at all cost and was ready to do anything she asked. He drank and enjoyed watching the people dance.

They kept drinking- of course, Purity was faking it. Suddenly, Ernest grabbed her and pressed his body against her. “Melisa, I want you to kiss me, now.”

She wasn’t impressed, didn’t like that. “Hey! Let go!” She ordered. “That’s not how to treat a lady.” She frowned.

He instantly released her. “I’m sorry. How are you feeling?”

“Bad.” She confessed.

“I know what will make you feel good.”

That made her alive again. “I want to know.”

“Good.” Ernest requested for more drinks and placed them before her. “All these would make you feel better.”

Purity shrugged. “I don’t want to.”

“You have to.” he persuaded her. “Let me feed you.” He gave a grin.

She agreed and opened her much for him. It really felt good as the chilled drink slid down her throat. He was right.

“How does it feel?”

She closed her eyes and smiled. “Sweet.”

“Have more, my Melisa.” he smirked.

... To be continued

Read more here : http://www.youngicee.com/2016/03/afraid-to-love-all-posts.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Nobody: 12:44pm On May 11, 2016
only chapter 1-27 on your blog,will be back when it's finished
Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Twinkle004(f): 2:49pm On May 11, 2016
Thumbs up...keep it rolling
Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by usomine007(m): 4:36pm On May 11, 2016
Waiting patiently for the continuation.Lovely story line.thumbs up to you.
Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by ojuolu(m): 5:03pm On May 11, 2016
you too my whole day with this story. waiting for the next update.
Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by iampistis(f): 11:32pm On May 11, 2016
Wow...nice story grin
Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by mamawin(f): 10:06am On May 12, 2016
this is quite interesting. pls we need d update, asap
Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Oyinprince(m): 11:05pm On May 12, 2016
By Patience Ahworegba

Ernest fed her till she was drunk, really drunk. Purity didn’t know what she was doing anymore. She felt her head spinning, she was unable to think clearly, she felt dizzy as well. She had no idea what was happening to her or around her. She had stopped taking in more drinks from Ernest. She kept to herself and was muttering incoherent words.

Smiling to himself, Ernest decided to take advantage of the situation. “Why are you here?”

She belched loudly and continued talking to herself. “They left me, they betrayed me. They made me feel bad. All because of guys. What’s with them? They come to play with my friends feelings and they’ve separated us.” She had a worried expression on her face. “Papa is not like that. He loves mama a lot. But he’s so controlling,” She scoffed, “He never lets me do what I want. And my brothers, so, so crazy, always making me feel like a child. I’m-”

“Melisa,” Ernest called sweetly interrupting her. He turned her face to him. “What are you saying? Stop talking to yourself, share it with me.”

Purity looked at him in disgust. A whitish substance flew from her mouth and landed on his face, his left eye. “I hate you. Just leave me alone!”

He couldn’t understand what she just did. “Why did you spit on me? And you hate me? Its not possible. What wrong have I done?” He wiped it off his eye.

“You and all your kind. You are all manipulative. You mock people, control their lives and take their feelings for granted. I hate you all. Males, boys, men – you all take advantage of women. You ruin their lives.”

He understood it all. She was opening up, telling him what made her come to drink. Someone hurt her and now, she doesn’t want to have anything to do with men. He had to know more. “I agree with you. They’re heartless.”

Now, that surprised her. He took her side or what? Her head, she wasn’t thinking straight. “I don’t have friends. They took my friends from me. They don’t have respect for me. They are stupid.”

“Come on, Melisa. Forget about them, hate them, never want to be with any of them. But always remember me. I will take care of you. Will be your friend, respect you and your feelings.” She could be innocent. She was drowning away her misery in alcohol. He was gonna help her do that.

“You won’t,” her voice had changed. The alcohol had taken its effect. It sank deep into her. Her eyes became watery and the tears freely fell. “Its all lies -”

“Stop it.” He took a bottle. “Have more, you won’t feel a pain. You will feel very good. They won’t hurt you anymore. I’m here.”

Purity took the bottle from him and drank it all. It seemed to take all her problems away. She grinned from ear to ear.

The music had changed. It was hip-hop and the lights grew dim. The dance floor was flooded with people- men and women, boys and girls. It was a fun night, Ernest really wanted to join them. “Melisa, lets dance away our pains.” He jumped off his seat and helped her down.

She staggered as he pulled her to the dance floor. The music was hitting her ear drums, driving her crazy. The entire place twirled in her eyes, the world was dancing. It excited her. She wanted to join them. She wanted fun. She isn’t abnormal nor old fashioned.

Her feet went off the ground and landed, it continued that way at intervals. She raised her hands to the ceiling and waved her head. Her body shook, her hips swayed this way and that. She was flowing with the music, following the crowd, feeling good. It was pleasurable.

Ernest joined and followed her dance steps. Soon enough, they were exhausted. Ernest tried planting a kiss on her lips again. He missed, she gave him her right cheek. He kissed, licked and s----d it. He went for her neck and playfully bit her.

She moaned roughly.

He so much loved that sound. He took her to a corner and continued playing with her body. He wanted to sleep with her. And have her forever. In her drunken state, she’d not have the power to resist him. He gave an evil grin.
“Yes, he tried to sleep with me. He almost had his way because I was so drunk. But then, he raised my gown and touched me, touched where he’s never supposed to touch. I don’t know what came over me, I felt pleasure and pain. I pushed him immediately and headed back to the counter. He came after me and wanted to know why I stopped him. I muttered words I can’t remember. He smiled on hearing those words and came closer to me. He tried kissing me, again. I emptied a bottle on his head.

” ‘I have to go,’ I told him. I gradually became conscious but I was still drunk. I don’t know what he gave me to drink.

” ‘Stay, we were just having fun,’ he tried persuading me. He was smiling and pulled me closer. ‘You don’t want to let me kiss you. You soiled my hair, I will forgive you for that, but please kiss me.’ He tilted his head forward. I pushed him back.

” ‘I will kiss you tomorrow night. I will be here,’ I promised him.

“That made him smile. ‘Promise?’

” ‘I promise,’ I repeated. ‘Ernest….’ I laughed hysterically and turned to leave. He caught my hand and pushed me closer to him. He smelt my hair. ‘I will never forget you, Melisa. Don’t fail me.’ He planted a kiss on my forehead. ‘You are beautiful.’

“I nodded and walked out. I still staggered. I didn’t know what was happening to me. I was feeling upset within me and very strange. Then, I felt something rushing out of my stomach and I puked. It was irritating and disgusting. I did that for about five minutes. I got to my car, but I couldn’t open it. It was all very confusing. I was acting like a crazy girl. I was sure it was past midnight, but I still wanted to go home.

“Someone came to me and offered to drive me home. I didn’t say no. He helped me into the can and he got in. My phone rang, he answered it and explained everything to my mum. He to me home. My parents thanked him, paid him money and instructed him never to say a word to anybody.

“They let me sleep that night. The following day, I woke up with a very severe headache. It was as if a bell was ringing in my head. It wasn’t easy to make it stop. I took some pills. I was able to recall all that had happened the previous night. I cried over it and wrote the details down. I regret it so much and felt like killing that Ernest. He hurt me, added to my pain. I felt very stupid. How ironical, I went there with the aim of hurting a guy and I was the one hurt in return. All my life, I’ve lived with that guilt and tried to erase it from my memory, but its still there. I couldn’t trust humans, I became my own world. That’s why I chose this life, to be all by myself. Don’t want to go through any phase of betrayal, hurt and pain all over.” She smiled weakly and looked him in the eye. “That’s what really changed me. My story.”

“Come here,” Jeremy opened his arms and let Purity in. He cuddled her and kissed her hair, forehead and nose. “It must have been really hard to go through all that alone. I’m sorry for all the pains he caused you and your friends turning their backs on you. I’m sorry I kinda misjudged and mistrusted you.”

All the sympathetic words of Jeremy gave her an unusual comfort and calm in her heart. Sharing her secret with him was okay. It felt like a burden had been lifted off her chest. It was really nice. His reaction made her relax more. She didn’t fear that he was going to reveal the secret to any person to hurt her or force her to be him- very unlike his cousin. Jeremy didn’t judge her or condemn her, he felt sorry for her, sorry that she had gone through a lot. It brought her peace. She had thought he wouldn’t understand, he’d hate her, but she feels he loves her more. “Thank you.”

“Darling, you are brave, you are a strong woman. You were able to escape him even when you were drunk, I believe he is after you again and you’ll put him in his place.”

She smiled. “If you support me.”

“Of course, I will.” He could see reasons why she put men out of her life. It was his d--n cousin! He felt remorse over the bad things he had thought about her. It was her past and all gone. This was the present and he was gonna do his utmost to protect her from his cousin. She was his and nothing was putting them apart. He had won her full trust and confidence. No woman had ever confided in him as she did and his love for her intensified, he admired her. “No one’s going to hurt you, again. I’ll always be here for you.” He smiled reassuringly.

Purity loved that smile of his as it set her heart on fire. It was warm, filled with calmness and love. Something she never felt for any man. How did Jeremy manage to win her heart? It was always cold and filled with hate towards men. Jeremy broke the walls she had built around it. It would be him and only him. “I appreciate your understanding. Its really comforting to me. Thanks for finding me. I might have done something horrible to myself.” She inhaled deeply, took his right hand and placed her lips on it. “I care about you too.”

Jeremy felt those electric sensations run over him. His heartbeat accelerated the moment she kissed his hand. He gave a big grin as the words she said to him sank into his head. This was the woman for him, he was totally sure, the woman he wanted to spend eternity with. “I should punish you for last night.” A smile flittered across his face.

“Punish?” Purity repeated. Those were not the words she wanted to hear and they were coming from Jeremy. She left his arms and faced him. Staring deep into his beautiful, hazel eyes. “I just said I care about you and you are thinking of punishing me? Please.”

The smile was replaced by an expressionless gaze. He tried his possible best not to laugh and not make any sign that’d make her notice. Deep within him, he felt like laughing at her. She took him seriously. He was gonna pay later on, he knew that.

“Jeremy, please,” Purity didn’t know why Jeremy was bringing punishment into this. What if the punishment was to call off the engagement? But he could never do that. Those eyes were unreadable, his gaze was stern. “OK. I’ll explain. He forcefully took me out there, then he said bad things about you. I was angry at him so, I slapped him on the face. He hurt me when he pressed his body against mine. It was frightening. He really-”

It was happening again. She had been stopped from talking. His lips were all over hers. Sucking out every bit of moisture from it. Loving the taste of them, the kiss was being deepened with passion, she in turn, responded. He pulled her closer, she clung to him, holding his neck.
“Dammit! Ernest!” Tricia furiously screamed into her phone.

“Will you stop screaming?” Ernest impatiently answered. “What is the problem?”

“You ask me what the problem is?” She retorted, flaring up. “We were discussing something really important and you walked out on me. Who does that? A sane person?” She angrily folded an arm.

Ernest dragged in a breath before replying. “It was urgent. If I did not get it done today, I was going to lose it.”

She snorted. “And what is more important than me?”

“It had to do with my business.” His voice was calm.

“Your business? Was that difficult to say before leaving?” She shook her head miserably. If she didn’t take things easy, she might end ip in a psychiatric hospital. She already felt like she was going insane. “Jeremy is still out there with Purity. I can feel it. What’s your plan? I can’t wait anymore. Really can’t. Don’t want your virgin girl to have any more of him, I want him back!”

“Please, calm down and take things easy. I can’t disclose any of that to you on phone. We’ll meet up tomorrow and discuss in details.”

Tomorrow sounded like seven years. It was too far, just too far. “No! Tomorrow’s not convenient for me. Lets meet now! I’m sure you are done with that business of yours. Meet me at that bar!” She demanded like she was his mother.

“Who are young give me orders? Gosh,” he sounded so irritated. “I can see why my cousin broke up with you, s--t!”

The line went dead.

“How dare you! Hello? Hello?” She pulled the phone from her ear. She looked at it and saw that the call had already been disconnected. “b-----d!” She slammed her cell against the wall.

“Tricia, darling,” David Cayson called. “Hasn’t Jeremy Broderick arrived?”

“No, father,” She tried to be calm. “Just called him, office duties. He’ll be here as soon as he’s done.”

“That’s great!” David replied excitedly. “Can’t wait to meet your fiance.”

Tricia groaned.
“Did you like your punishment?” Jeremy drawled, excitedly.

Purity gazed at him dumbfounded. “You mean the kiss was the, my punishment?”

“Mmm-hmm.” He cackled with laughter.

“Jeremy! You scared me. You just wanted to tease me, right? Seriously?”

“You should have seen your face. You were about to cry. I should have taken a picture.” He was full of smiles.

“Is that so? You didn’t even listen to a word I said.” She thought of what to do.

He continued laughing.

She grabbed the glass she had earlier handed him and spilled the remaining content on his shirt. “Serves you right.” She got off the chair and ran off.

“I’m coming for you,” he called after her

... To be continued
Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Oyinprince(m): 11:11pm On May 12, 2016
Afraid to love - Episode 20
By Patience Ahworegba

FEW DAYS LATER

“Ma’am, so you’d be resigning after your marriage to Mr. Broderick?” Heather asked with inquisitive eyes.

Purity laughed softly. “Yes. The distractions would be too much for me and I can’t work under him.”

“Distractions?” Heather repeated. “I don’t understand.” With squinted eyes, Purity scanNed Heather intently. “Who are you planning to share this with?”

Heather frowned and made a face. “I can keep secrets. I’ve learnt.”

“Really?” Purity was surprised. “Hmm,” She smiled. “You’ll wanna keep this one. Um, why can’t you concentrate when a man is around, you’re always carried away?”

“Because you love that man? Wait,” Heather thought silently for a while. “Oh,” She smiled in a silly way. “You are in love with Mr. Broderick and that’s why you don’t want to work under him.” She replied.

“Brilliant answer.” She liked that.

Heather immediately became shy. “Thank you, ma’am.”

Purity nodded and continued going over the paper work on Heather’s desk with a grim smile on her face. Ah, Jeremy. He was always on her mind.

“Are you really going to leave?” Heather blurted out. It hurt her to know she’d no more be the secretary of Miss Purity Theodore. Yes, she enjoyed certain privileges working with her, but that was not it. She had gotten used to her boss and was gonna miss her a lot. She was hurt at times, but she knew how Miss Theodore treated people. She wasn’t a bad person.

PUrity held Heather’s gaze. “Yes, I am. Are you sad?”

She nodded. “I’ll miss you.”

PUrity was touched, deeply. She had no idea Heather had become so fond of her. She was thinking she was tired of her. “I’ll miss you, very much.”

Purity dropped the papers and beckoned Heather to move closer to her. “Lets share a hug.”

Heather was startled. “A-”

Before she could make any more sound, Purity pulled her close and embraced her. “Thank you. Thanks for putting up with all my crazy acts. I’m sorry for that.”

Heather hesitated to hold Purity. After Purity had thanked her and apologised, she found the will to put her hands around her. “Thank you too, ma’am. You didn’t fire me.”

Purity laughed. “You’re funny. Papa never gave me that right to do that. I just used it to….you know….” She broke off, laughing.

Heather joined too.

They left eachother.

Then, the door opened and Ernest walked in, confidently. He had a smile on his face.

Purity met his gaze and returned his smile. She had nothing to be cared of. Ernest had lost and he was never gonna blackmail her anymore. “Heather, I’ve got to talk with this man.”

“Alright, ma’am. Be careful.” Heather didn’t like Mr. Turner a bit.

“This way, Mr. Turner,” Purity gestured and flashed him a mocking smile.

Ernest pretended not to have noticed that and walked towards the door leading to her office. What’s making her so bold?

“One more thing,” Purity said to Heather as she got near her door. She turned to face her, “How about taking a break and being my maid of honour?” She didn’t wait for a response, she turned and walked into her office. She left Heather staring at her back and then at her closed door, Heather’s eyes were dilated and her mouth, agape.
Purity plodded to her swivel chair after closing the door behind her. She sat down and crossed her legs. She faced the already seated Ernest. “What can I do for you?”

“You know why I’m here.”Ernest replied, flatly.

She tapped the fountain pen she had taken from the pen holder on her desk. “I don’t think I do. Please, let me know.” Purity didn’t care about time and she was willing to spend it playing games with him. Jeremy could come in and find them that way, it did not matter. She was at peace with him and he knew everything.

Ernest sighed deeply. “I have come to give you another chance to become mine or-”

“Or what?” She stopped him from talking. “What are you going to do?”

“I’m going to tell him what transpired between us nine years ago.” he threatened.

“Is that so?” She laughed sardonically. “What makes you think he’ll believe you? That was years ago. I’m a saint.” She rolled her eyes.

This is going to be tough, he reasoned silently. What happened to her? His brows furrowed. “You are not a saint. I know of someone else who is aware of the entire details.”

He thought it’d hit her hard. He’d soon have her in his cage and control her.

Someone else knew? Who could that be? Or he was trying to make a fool out of her? That would never happen. “I’m wondering why you and the person haven’t made any move. Are you scared of Jeremy, that he won’t believe you two?”

“Its for your own good. So, it won’t make you a bad person in his eyes. Can’t you see I care about you and your reputation?”

“Aren’t you already a bad person in my eyes? What you did that night was bad, really bad? I’m not stupid or naive anymore. I’m not sixteen anymore, I’m twenty-five and engaged to be married.” She stood up abruptly from the chair. “This would be the last time you’d walk into my office to tell me this trash, the next time you do so, I will not hesitate to walk you out. Please leave. Never come back to this place.”

He never expected her to talk to him that way. She was to be calm and try to reason out things with him. She had to beg him, plead with him and here she is, acting like his authority, telling him what not to do. He had to act fast. “You shouldn’t be talking to me like this. I only helped you that night. Wasn’t that what you wanted, to drown away your pains and that was exactly what I did. You should thank me that I agreed to be your only friend and confidant, I took your side, I didn’t disagree with you. What I did, was to make you happy.”

“Happy? Make me happy?” She was furious. “An unhappy teenager walks into a bar to get drunk, it isn’t the right thing to do, but she has to because she is driven by many emotions. The right thing you could have done like any other respossible man should is to stop me from drinking and take me home.” She paced around her office. “But did you do that? No, you didn’t, you wanted s-x that night? You really disgust me.”

He stood up to defend himself. “I wanted what every other man would want from you. You are very attractive. You know what courage I had to gather before I approached you?” He paused.

She was staring at him with blazing eyes. He ignored that. “I was really happy you even liked me and I wanted to know you more and have you forever.”

“You know why I was there, why I had pretended to like you? Was to break your hear, tear it in pieces and hurt you like you’ve never been hurt.” She shook her head sadly, “That didn’t happen. I was the one hurt in return. You hurt me and made me hate all me more and more.” A smile touched the corners of her mouth. “I’m happy I’m hurting you now, giving you all that you deserve. You deserve more than this, you b-----d!”

“You’ll give me all I deserve when you finally give yourself to me.” His voice was stern and firm. His eyes never left hers.

She started at him, startled for a few seconds. “You’re insane. You are sick!”

He went closer to her. “Sick with love, I really need you.”

She folded her arms and scoffed. She prayed, prayed that he’d come, come now at the right time and rescue her. She didn’t want to have anymore discussions with Ernest. His fearless approach only deepened the hatred she felt for him. He deserved to suffer, in jail and not confessing a stupid, unreasonable feeling – lust.

“I’m sorry I hurt you in the past. I’m here to make amends. Please forgive, me. I’ll understand you better. I’ll, please.” His brown eyes, pleaded.

She was determined not to agree to anything. “I’ll personally invite you to my wedding.”

“You’ll marry any man other than me over my dead body.”

She nodded and grinned. “My wedding,” she pointed to herself, “to your cousin, Jeremy is underway. We are still getting married. My being with you on my engagement night won’t stop us.”

He couldn’t believe that. “Impossible.”

“How would you feel if I told you that Jeremy already defiled me?”

“You are a liar. And if he did, he used you. He’ll definitely divorce you after a year.”

“Divorce? Divorce? What do you mean?”

Her heartbeat accelerated. She froze. For few seconds, she was dazed. Thinking clearly was not an option. The seven letter word – divorce, kept echoing in her head. Divorce. Divorce. Her brain went blank. Divorce? What does that mean? Was she hearing it for the first time?

“Too shocked to speak?” Ernest taunted. “You don’t know what you’ve got yourself into. He doesn’t love you. He will definitely end things with you. You are still the naive girl I met, still naive, you didn’t even notice that.” He took a step closer. He was sure his idea would not fail him. Research had done him a lot of good. Finding out so many things, he was going to make Melisa his or make her regret choosing Jeremy over him. He had nothing against his cousin, he just wanted Melisa and nothing more. He was going to fight for her till the very end. His Melisa. He took another step.

“Don’t come any closer,” she heard herself utter. She still hadn’t got him. What does divorce mean? Divorce. Jeremy was going to break their marriage after a year? She sighed deeply. This had to be another lie. Yes, it had to be a lie. Jeremy would never think of doing that, not when his mother’s last wish was that they get married. It couldn’t be true. Jeremy didn’t know anything about the wish, but he couldn’t be a liar. He tells the truth. d--n! She was too confused to think further, too confused. Her head was spinning.

“Melisa,” Ernest whispered, “I’d never lie or hurt you. I promised never to forget you and yes, I keep my promises. My whole life crumbled when you never returned. I visited that bar daily, hoping you’d come back, keep your promise, but you didn’t. I never stopped thinking about you or wanting you. I loved you and still do. I never stopped searching for you. I really want you, need you. Please, come to me.”

He heart went out to him. She couldn’t stop feeling pity for him. His words had an effect on her. She really couldn’t understand him. The first cold words he had spoken and his attitude cut her deeply and these last words were making her feel sorry for him. It was all puzzling. Her head began thudding. It hurt really bad. She wished he’d just disappear and take away those feelings with him. She took a deep breath and opened her mouth to speak.

Before any sound could come out, the door swung open and a male figure walked in. The look on his face was troubled. His eyes were piercing deep into hers. Each step he took forward only made her heartbeat increase. He wasn’t smiling, he wasn’t happy. His look was simply troubling. Yes, she had earlier wished him to appear and save her, but now she didn’t want him appearing yet. She had to know what Ernest meant by a divorce. Jeremy divorcing her after marrying her. It wasn’t a simple joke, it was serious. But what could she do, he had already come. She quickly closed her opened mouth.

Jeremy calmly took a step further. He was anxious. Something was really bothering him. Purity. He had to sort out some things with her. Meeting her with his cousin added to his worries. He knew Ernest would still bother her, but it was at a wrong time, he wasn’t composed, his feelings wasn’t in check. How the hell was he going to react? Arguing or fighting wasn’t an option. He had to keep calm.

His feet got planted to the ground when he had quite reached a considerable distance between them. He whooshed in a breath. Take things easy. “Ernest, what a surprise. I didn’t hope to find you here. How are you?” He smiled faintly. Those words were well constructed. That was good.

Anger. Envy. Bitterness. Hatred. Disappointment. All those emotions rushed through his blood. He clenched his fists. His teeth, gritted. He had gotten her attention, her sympathy. His plan had almost worked out. She was soon going to be his. How dare him show up? This wasn’t the right time. d--n him! He was breathing heavily. Ernest was very furious because of Melisa! She was staring at him with dreamy eyes. The way she did that, she was to look at him that way and not his cousin. He couldn’t answer Jeremy’s greeting. He simply turned to walk away.

“Don’t go yet,” Jeremy ordered.

Ernest stopped his tracks.

Purity stood, watching the two men crazy over her. She prayed Jeremy would control himself, she never trusted Ernest.

... To be continued

Read more episodes here: www.youngicee.com

1 Like

Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Oyinprince(m): 8:57am On May 14, 2016
Afraid to love - Episode 21
By Patience Ahworegba

“What did you come here for?” Jeremy questioned. His back faced Ernest’s back. Purity was directly facing him.

“To greet my in-law. Your wife,” Ernest replied through gritted teeth.

Jeremy smiled. “Why is that difficult for you to answer? You didn’t tell me you’ll stop by.”

His feelings were about to flare up. “How is that of concern to you?” he still faced the door.

“She is my wife, just as you said. And she belongs only to me. Please, stay away from her. I’m not going to go easy on you, next time.” He wasn’t harsh or hostile, he was calm and peaceful.

“Well, congratulations,” Ernest maliciously responded. He resumed his tracks. On getting to the door, he stopped angrily. “And, its great. She’s deflowered.” He stomped out of the office and slammed the door behind him.

The atmosphere between Jeremy and Purity was tense and extremely quiet. Their eyes were trying to read eachother. Purity stared at him hazel eyes, trying to read the expression on it. His eyes were narrowed to hers. ‘You hurt me again? I am disappointed in you. You are breaking my heart,’ was all she could read in those penetrating eyes. She doubted her accuracy, however, it was something close. Those eyes kept her on her feet. They weren’t moving, neither was her whole body. Only her brain functioned, reading Jeremy’s eyes.

“You don’t want to say hi to me?” he finally broke the silence, placing both hands in his pockets.

She opened her mouth, nothing could be heard. Her voice was lost. She still found it difficult to speak. What was happening? Her voice. Her voice. It was gone, Ernest!

“Have you lost your voice?” he asked in a strained voice. Sending Ernest out of her office wasn’t an easy task. He felt satisfied that it didn’t cause him much worry. Now, his head was thumping seriously. Purity was refusing to talk or she had lost the will to speak. An urgent issue was at hand and the last word Ernest mentioned put him on edge. Everything was just mixed up. The throbbing increased. “I really can’t talk here, lets go somewhere else.”

Purity nodded mechanically and edged nervously past Jeremy to the door.
The breeze gently caressed her face. Feeling it on her, brought her delight. She found herself thinking about Jeremy. She took a glance at him, then out of the window. His demeanor was unique. It really impressed her. The thought that he’d fight with his cousin or use unkind words at him filled her head when he had barged into her office. She was proven wrong. Jeremy had a great personality, it attracted her to him more and more. He was cool, really cool – just like her father. He must have inherited that nice attitude from his mother. She wished to have met and known her. It wasn’t a bad idea marrying Jeremy. Mr. and Mrs. Aaron Theodore made the right decision in choosing him for her. She smiled to herself. But was she right for him?

“Feeling good already?” Jeremy asked, breaking into her daydream. That radiating smile on her face lit up his heart. He had felt she was too sad to even smile and too angry to speak with him. He smile was sufficient enough for him, even though she hadn’t spoken. Her sadness was beginning to wear off. “Shall we go to the country house?” He hoped for a response.

She sighed and rested her back on the seat. She gestured with her hands, meaning that she had no worry if they went there or not.

Jeremy slowed down his vehicle. “Please, talk to me. Just make a sound. Please.” He frowned in a babyish way. It always worked on his mum, it had to work on Purity.

She cackled with kaughter. Aww, poor Jeremy. She was going to speak. She was going to make a sound. She was going to laugh much more – all to make him happy. “My lips just refused to open. They went on vacation.”

“Are they back yet? Or they’ll still go back?” Jeremy replied, laughing.

“You enjoy teasing me. Not fair.” She feigned anger and frowned.

“I’m glad you are back to your normal self and talking to me.” he turned to face her and flashed a wholehearted smile. “But before we have fun, there’s something urgent that we need to discuss.” He brought the vehicle to a stop, right in front of the Theodore’s country house.

“Jeremy, you are scaring me,” Purity confessed her feelings as they walked into the quiet house. “What is this important issue we have to talk about?”

Jeremy remained unusually quiet. He had decided not to let her know a single thing till they were settled and ready for it all. He guessed it was going to blow her mind. Why did he still doubt her? Her feelings towards him. She had just mentioned she loved him only once. Was then even sincere, ’cause she fainted after that confession. Did she really care about him? Would she actually prove that she does? He continued pondering over Purity and her feelings and kept asking himself questions that only she could provide the answers to. This relationship’s really difficult. Why are things this way? Not when he had found the right person. At times, life could be unfair, he thought to himself.

Jeremy felt a slender arm holding his hand, forcefully turning him to faced the person. It was Purity’s arm. She was enraged as well as bewildered at him bizarre behaviour. “What is wrong?” she yelled, “Are you trying to tease me again? Why are we here? Why aren’t you talking to me? What in the name of God are we here to talk about?” Her eyes kept searching his face. A clue was all she needed. She couldn’t understand what was going on.

“You really want to know why we are here?” he asked in a mild way.

Purity rolled her eyes and sighed. She placed both hands on her waist. “Of course! Yes, I want to know.”

“There are some things I found that interested me,” he paused and stared deep into her eyes. He searched for the truth in them.

Her entire body shivered under the gaze of his overwhelming eyes. She battled to hold his stare. She felt nervous and uncomfortable. Had she done something wrong again?

“Why….why,” the words seemed to get stick in her throat, she had to force them out. “Would…….please stop giving me that kind of look, I don’t like it.”

He ignored her statement. “Go over to the round table, you’ll find what really got my attention.”

Purity dropped her hands unconsciously and gawked at Jeremy. She was unsure of what do do. Either she scold him for not getting to the point or obey his command. After hesitating for a few seconds, she gave a weary sigh, shook her head and trudged towards the table.
BANG! It was the third vase he shattered in pieces. His anger had risen, up to a level that no one will be able to calm him down, not even himself. He had managed to get a hold of himself while driving home. Right now, he had lost it. He poured dejectedness on the poor, innocent vases in his living room. There was no way he could stop himself from being violent. To well with Jeremy Broderick! Who was he to give him orders? The slowpoke had instructed him to stay away from Purity. Melisa. Who on earth gave him that right? Now, he regretted regarding his Melisa as the wife of his cousin. He regretted that so much. Melisa belonged to him and no one else. He’d forgive her, forgive her for letting Jeremy bed her, just once. But for the years to follow, she’d just be his and his alone. He had to act fast. He could feel her slipping off his fingers. That wouldn’t happen. No! It wouldn’t.

Furious, he smashed another vase against the wall. Panting, he collapsed on a couch. “Melisa!” he called out, painfully.
“Have you been drinking?” Tricia questioned the devastated Ernest who held the door open and blocked the doorway. His appearance was unpleasant and irritated her.

Ernest stood motionless, gazing at Tricia. He couldn’t find the will to make a sound. He had spent few minutes weeping over his Melisa and drinking. He had never wept for a lady, this made him determined more than ever to make Melisa want him, need him, crave for him, desire him more than anything else. The good dreams he had after dozing for five minutes made him at peace.

Tricia was annoyed at his unreasonable silence. She hissed angrily, “If you are not going to reply me, at least move away so I can enter. If I’m not needed, I can head back to my apartment.”

He cooperated. He moved aside and let her pass through. When she was inside, he shut the door and went to join her in the sitting room.

“What happened in here?” It was a mess.

The living room was a complete mess. Broken pieces of glass littered the whole room. Empty bottles clustered in a spot and filled bottles and glasses lined up on the table. The sofas were disarranged and an arm chair was upside down. An unpleasant smell filled her nostrils as she walked around the room. That made her cough. It was vomit. They sight of it almost made her puke too. She controlled herself and turned her eyes away immediately. She faced Ernest with a serious look on her face. “Was there a fight in here? What happened?”

“He took her away from me,” he responded sadly.

She couldn’t get it. “Who took who away from you? How does it have to do with the state of your house?”

He shook his head miserably. “I don’t expect you to understand. You can never understand. I think I’ve lost her, she’s left me for now. She’s with my cousin. It really hurt me.”

Tricia rolled her eyes. “You vented your anger on your valuables at home? You broke them in pieces and got yourself drunk? What good have it done you, huh?” She folded her arms.

He threw himself on a couch. “The anger and pain, I no longer feel. I’m gonna get her back.”

“And how do you plan on doing that? In your drunken state? I doubt that.”

“You’re mistaken. I’m not drunk. I’m perfectly fine.”

“I can see that,” she sneered. “Listen, I’m not comfortable here. I can’t stand the smell neither can I stand stepping on broken bottles. If you want to talk to me, get dressed and lets go somewhere else, I’ll be waiting outside.”
“Where did you get these from?” Purity asked. This was unbelievable. Only her had access to these letters that were written years ago. How did Jeremy come to have seen them? Who let him have them? It wasn’t possible.

“Surprised, my princess?” Jeremy remarked, standing above Purity.

“Just give me an answer! Where did you get these d--n letters from?” She was already raising her voice. This was of serious concern to her and Jeremy seemed less concerned about it. It wasn’t fun.

He had imagined her getting paranoid. “Calm down. You don’t have to yell at me.” He smiled grimly and joined her in squatting. His eyes caught a note on the table. He picked it up. “Here, I love this one. It says, ‘Last night, I hugged my pillow and dreamt of you…….. I wish that someday, I’d dream about my pillow and I’d be hugging you- Divine.’ Its really cute, don’t you think so?”

Purity bit her lips hard. The letters she held fell off her hands. She dug her right palm into her left palm and tried gulping down her tears. All this, she had forgotten. She was done with them. Why resurface? It was good as dead. “Jeremy, please stop,” she nervously whispered.

“This one’s also captivating,” he picked up another note, “‘I wrote your name on the sand, but the waves washed it away. I wrote your name on my hand, but it washed the next day. I wrote your name on a paper, but I accidentally threw it away. I wrote your name on my heart and forever it will stay.'” He s----d in a breath. “I’m beginning to feel jealous, wishing I’m Gerald. That feeling must be really nice and refreshing.”

Purity met his gaze. She saw flashes of anger and pain in them. This was why he had that troubled look on his face. Things were just getting complicated. She felt as if she was not meant to be in any relationship. She wished to stop hurting him with her poor decisions and poor memory. It would be better if she were still single. She’d not hurt anyone emotionally. “You are misunderstanding the whole thing. Its not what you think. Please, listen to me.”

“Why did you lie to me?”

The question cut her deeply. Lie to Jeremy? She had never lied to anyone. She hated lying, she detested the act so much. Why would she do that to someone she cared about so much? This was going too far. “Lie to you? I never lied to you. What did i lie about?”

“You’re still asking me questions when the answers are right in front of you? You wrote several love notes to different guys while you were still in high school. You had high school sweethearts.”

“No! That’s not it. I wrote these letters but not to anyone in particular. Did you not hear my story?”

“I did. And that’s why I said you lied.”

Tears formed in her eyes. “I did not lie to you. All these are in my past and you said the past is gone, please let it go.”

He took a deep breath. “If it were only in the past, I’d not be bothering you. But it includes the present. You recently contacted Gerald and you two are seeing eachother.”

... To be continued

1 Like

Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Oyinprince(m): 8:59am On May 14, 2016
Afraid to love - Episode 22
By Patience Ahworegba

Jeremy’s last sentence struck her. It felt like she was stabbed with a very sharp dagger. She’d have preferred the physical pain to the emotional pain. It really hurt bad. At that moment, she wondered who was lying to who – she or Jeremy? Nothing of what he said was the truth. Who could have done this? Who wanted to hurt her this much? Whoever it was, was really getting what he wanted. And what pained her more, was the fact that Jeremy had seen the lies as truth and accused her of them – what she hated so much.

“I do not know any Gerald. I don’t know what you are talking about.”

She had the audacity to tell another lie to his face? She had been caught, she ought to speak the truth and ask to be forgiven. But she’s trying to defend a lie. He knew he was blunt and hard on her, but that was they only way he thought the truth would come out. He really had to know. He disliked lies and those who deceive people. “Cut that crap. You know exactly what I’m talking about. Why did you do this to me? You threw dust on my eye and expected me not to find out? Purity, I trusted you with all my heart.” He stood up.

“Oh, no you didn’t trust me,” she fired back. “Please, get me outta here, I got to get back to the office.” She got on her feet.

Her response angered him. “You are not running away from this! I demand an explanation.”

She gave a strained laugh. “I don’t think so. You don’t deserve any explanations since you’ve already made up your mind and have drawn conclusions about me. Let me go!”

“Oh, yes. I have made my conclusions already, just prove me wrong. You gave me no other choice. I’ve always had to put up with your past. When will all these end?”

“You’re not sounding like the Jeremy I know. When have my past become an issue? I thought you didn’t care about it. That you wouldn’t judge me. Its gone and gone forever.” Her vision was blurred. “I have never imagined you’d stoop so low to believe all this.” She used the back of her hands to dry her tears.

He was hurting her, but still he had to get to the point and make her confess. “I’m sorry I’m making you feel bad. Yes, I don’t care about your past, but you keep lying to me, you d-”

“I did not lie to you!” She was not going to choose her words this time. She’d say whatever she feels like. “You saw all these and believed I had high school sweethearts? And you accuse me of being in contact with one? What proof do you have, where did you get it from?”

“Tell me you didn’t write them.”

“I’m not a liar. I did, I wrote them. I want never involved in a relationship with any guy at school because I didn’t want to get hurt. I was afraid of giving my heart to anyone. And yes, I got jealous seeing my friends have fun with their boyfriends. So I created imaginary boyfriends for myself. I had fantasies. I made up names and wrote letters. It was a secret I shared between my friends and I. It made me feel loved, loved with no sadness. That’s why I made these notes to my imaginary lovers!”

“I don’t believe you. What kind of dirty game is that?” A part of him believed her, the other part did not. He was divided.

Purity flared up. “Who are you to question my past decision? You are claiming to be a saint. Aren’t you planning to divorce me a year after our marriage? You just want to use and dump me! Because I’m a virgin? I hate you for this, Jeremy.”

“I am not planning on divorcing you. Yes, I had wanted to. It was what my dad used in cajoling me to court you.”

“You’re a jerk! A d--n liar. I’m out of here.” She turned her back on him.

He caught her hand and turned her to him. “Tell me the truth. Why did you agree to this marriage? You want me among the list of men you’ve broken their hearts? Just like my cousin, right?”

“I would never have agreed to this. I did it for your mother.”

“My mother, what do you mean?”

“It was her last wish that I marry you!”

“No, no,” he whispered. It can’t be. He left her staring at the wall. He got outside trying to get a hold of himself. His mother had wanted him to be with Purity? Why hadn’t he known? His mother never mentioned her and his father never did till that very day. Why was this kept from him?

A loud scream caught his attention. He had left Purity all alone! He ran back into the house, he couldn’t hear her scream anymore. She wasn’t there. “Purity! Purity! My love, where are you?”
There was no response. He heard muffled cries. He was sure it was her. He was so confused and couldn’t think clearly. He searched the entire living room for her. There was no trace of her. He felt as if a part of him had been stolen. He dug his hands into his pocket and brought out his cell phone and tried dialling 911. The next thing, a bottle was smashed on his head, he fell to the ground, hitting his head hard on the floor and everything went blank. BLACK OUT!

He couldn’t see anything. Darkness overwhelmed him. His entire body was weak. He could feel pain all over, especially in his head. It was throbbing badly. He groaned in pain. His eye lids fluttered and opened. They bright light that greeted his eyes made him close them immediately. Seconds later, he gradually opened them, he saw the ceiling clearly and noticed he was lying down on a bed covered in white cloth. That was his room, the smell was unfamiliar. As his eyes roved around the room, he concluded that he was in a ward in the hospital.

His brain couldn’t function yet as he had no idea what he was doing there. He suddenly felt the urge to get up. His body wasn’t ready to carry out any activity cause he ached all over, but he stubbornly tried sitting up. In the process, he flinched and let out a scream of pain.

His scream attracted the person in the ward to him. Edwin Broderick quickly ran to him. Edwin had been so absorbed in his thoughts that he hadn’t noticed his son trying to lift himyself off the bed. “Are you alright son?” Without waiting for an answer, he quickly added, “Please, relax. You are weak.” He held on to Jeremy and made him lie back on the bed. “I’ll go get the doctor.”

Jeremy fastened his hand to his father’s, preventing him from leaving. “What,” it took him a great deal of energy to utter that word. And the voice he heard didn’t sound like his, it was rough and sounded more like an old man’s. “What happened? What am I doing here? How did I get here?”

Edwin squeezed his hand softly. “My boy, please relax. You need to rest now.”

He stubbornly shook his head. “I’m fine. Its just my head. Its aching. Where is Purity? I need to see her.” His memory was still blank. He couldn’t recollect anything. The headache was so severe that his thought his head was going to split into two.

“Jeremy, listen to me. You need to worry about yourself,” he left his hand. “I’m going to get Doctor Allan.” Before Jeremy could protest any further, he was already out of the ward.

“How is he?” Aaron Theodore inquired. He stood up abruptly on sighting his dear friend. He was very worried.

“My friend, he just regained consciousness, he’s in pains, I want to get the doctor,” Edwin calmly explained.

Aaron heaved a sigh of relief. “That’s great news. Let me go see him.”

Edwin nodded in agreement. He was relieved that his son had woken up. “Thank you, my friend.”

Aaron patted his shoulder, “Be careful.”
“How are you feeling?”

Jeremy’s was already seated on the bed. He slowly raised his to confirm the whose voice he just heard. He was right. “I’m okay, sir,” his voice was back to normal, but slightly cracked. “Did Purity come with you? I want to see her,” he requested politely.

“I was hoping you’d tell me that. You were with her yesterday, nobody’s seen her since then,” Aaron replied amiably.

“I was?” Jeremy rhetorically asked. He tried to recall what happened, but he could not. The headache just seemed to get worse. He held his head and groaned in pain.

“Careful,” Aaron moved to his side and brought his hands down, “Your head is bandaged. You don’t need to touch it.”

“I don’t remember anything. I feel as if my head is going to tear apart. What happened to me? How did I get here? Why can’t I remember anything?” he questioned Aaron, looking devastated.

“That’s because you have temporary amnesia,” a voice whom he recognized to be Dr. Allan’s answered him. He shifted his gaze and saw him with his dad. “You were brought in here unconscious and had several injuries on your head. You need to rest now, I’ll give you medications. Within a day or two, you’ll fully remember everything.” he concluded, assuring him with a smile.

Jeremy exhaled deeply, “I want to be with Purity, let me come,” he demanded, again.

“You were the last person to see Purity before you had this accident. Only you can tell us where she is. Calm down and don’t force it,” Dr. Allan explained.

He nodded and laid back on the bed. He was troubled. He didn’t feel good. It had to do with Purity, where was she?

Aaron and Edwin stared at him with pity in their eyes. They were both concerned about their children.
He was covered with perspiration. Panting and tossing on the bed. The nightmare was really horrible. He wished it’d come to an end. Purity, he couldn’t find her. Darkness had taken her away from him. He forced his eyes open. “Purity!”

“Ah, papa,” Tricia excitedly called her father, “he’s awake. He has opened his eyes,” Tricia tugged her father’s shirt and ran over to the bed. She smiled widely, as his eyes ran over her.

David frowned and yawned. He was very tired. His daughter had made him spend the night in the hospital all because her fiance had an accident. The same fiance who had failed to honour his invitation. He wasn’t impressed. “That’s great,” he responded getting up from the chair he was sitting on, “I should get going.”

“Say hello to him first,” Tricia said to her dad. “Jeremy darling, I’ve missed you so much. I was so worried about you when I heard what happened. I’ve been here since last night. How do you do?” She grinned.

Jeremy just lay speechless, staring at the pretty woman who was full of smiles. She was gorgeous and attractive, but her face was different. She wasn’t the one he had dreamt of, he didn’t want to see her. He had no feelings for her. He just wanted his Purity.

“Jeremy Broderick,” David called, dragging Jeremy out of his reverie, “My soon-to-be son-in-law. Its nice meeting you.” He smiled faintly.

Jeremy only gazed at him with wide eyes. Soon-to-be son-in-law? That really shocked him. “What did you say?” Jeremy managed to ask.

David was taken aback by that statement. “You are my daughter’s fiance, right?”

He shook his head, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Before the scene got ugly, Tricia had to do something. Her father was bad tempered when it had anything to do with her. She could feel his anger rising as he stared with Jeremy with blazing and confusing eyes. What was going to save Jeremy was the face that he was lying in a hospital bed. She was going to help out too. “Papa, its not like that. I heard from the doctor that he has temporary amnesia, so he’s not able to remember me as his fiancee,” she smiled reassuringly as her father, giving him a signal to calm down, then she smiled at Jeremy. “By the time he’s okay, he’ll definitely remember me, not so honey?”

Jeremy only scoffed and threw his face away from hers. Someone else occupied his heart and mind. Someone else was his fiancee. Someone else he needed. That person, he wanted to be by his side, lying close to him and clinging to him. That was his pretty witch, as he had earlier called her, but now she was his princess and not the lying devil smiling devilishly at him.

His daughter’s soothing words managed to drain away the anger he felt towards Jeremy. He unclenched his fists and breathed. His only daughter, his favourite child meant the whole world to him. Noting was going to hurt her while he was still alive and no one was going to make her cry. This Jeremy better be serious with his daughter or he’d regret it. He glanced at his wrist watch. It was fifteen minutes past eight. “I have to get going. Please, Jeremy recover your memory quickly and don’t break my daughter’s heart. Bye, my love.”

“I love you too, dad.” Tricia replied.

That was all he needed to hear and he walked out of the room with an air of confidence. His daughter better be taken care of.

“Does your head still hurt?” Tricia inquired, trying to sound concerned.

Jeremy did not make a sound. Purity clouded his brain and nothing seemed to be real, he couldn’t even hear what was being said. All he wanted was to be with Purity and not lying on a hospital bed. If she wasn’t coming to him, he had to make the first move, he was the man after all.

“You don’t want to talk to me?” Tricia cooed. “Alright, I get it. You are too tired to talk. I’m sorry for coming unannounced and bothering you, its just that,” she played with his fingers and had an innocent look on her face, “I couldn’t sleep after I heard you were brought here. I was not really happy. I felt all your pains, I was worried and had to come see you. I spent the night here, but not in your ward. They wouldn’t allow me. You see how much I love you?” Playing with his fingers was what she really missed. It was what she always did over the years when they dated. Playing with them always seemed to do a trick for her, luring him into getting what she always wanted. Recently, he had forbidden her from even seeing his face, now that she had the opportunity, she had to make wise use of it. She smiled to herself in satisfaction. She still wasn’t sure if he’d fall for it, but she had to think positively. Her hopes were up.

Jeremy felt it was time for him to pay attention to the devil who had been bugging him. He had to make her leave, she had been distracting him and what he needed was privacy and a time to think. “You’ve seen me, I’m okay now. Don’t you think you should leave?”

The smile on her face disappeared and was soon replaced with a frown. That wasn’t the reply she was expecting.

.. To be continued
Read up to episode 30 on www.youngicee.com
Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Missmossy(f): 3:52pm On May 14, 2016
Keep it coming Oyin,beautiful piece. Kudos.

2 Likes

Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by jacy67(f): 4:05pm On May 14, 2016
oyinprince, I must commend what you're doing here but am very much confused. Just this morning I was surfing the net for some stories and then I stumbled on one titled HAUNTED BY MY PAST MISTAKES.

the characterization changed as follows
Abigail=Purity
Deborah = Melissa
James= Jeremy
David= Ernest
Victoria = Tricia
Rejoice = Prudence

Everything was the same-- verbatim except the ones I pointed out.

What is happening?

you can view the story from this link
http://gospelbreed.com/category/stories/page/4/
Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Oyinprince(m): 7:28pm On May 14, 2016
jacy67:
oyinprince, I must commend what you're doing here but am very much confused. Just this morning I was surfing the net for some stories and then I stumbled on one titled HAUNTED BY MY PAST MISTAKES.

the characterization changed as follows
Abigail=Purity
Deborah = Melissa
James= Jeremy
David= Ernest
Victoria = Tricia
Rejoice = Prudence

Everything was the same-- verbatim except the ones I pointed out.

What is happening?

you can view the story from this link
http://gospelbreed.com/category/stories/page/4/

Thanks for bringing my attention to it. The person posting there is copying directly from coolval, where it was posted also. But I'm very sure the writer is not aware (It's obvious seeing the change in the names of the characters) , I'll bring it to her notice and something will be done about it.
Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by Browndipson(m): 8:25am On May 17, 2016
i dy feel u guy more blood 2 ur finger
Re: New Story : Afraid To Love by prettyiyanu5(f): 12:52pm On May 18, 2016
Really enjoyed ur story so much but pls can u upload d remaining episodes of dis story can't wait to get to d end of d story....
9ce work keep it up!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Grace Ifeoma Adichie's Burial: Chimamanda's Mum Buried (Photos, Video) / Ibale{virginity} / Me, You, And Them: Book 3 (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 444
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.