Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,760 members, 7,831,446 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters (28170 Views)

Tension Grips Nigerian City As Separatist Leader Goes Missing - REUTERS / Nigerian Secessionists Greet Trump As Help Against Muslim North- Reuters / I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by musicwriter(m): 5:42pm On Mar 29, 2016
Atlantian:

Words like "devalue the Naira" is not supposed to exist. The right words should be "allow the value of naira to be determined by economic forces" while you block leakages. No one should charge fees and sell items in dollars or any other foreign currency in Nigeria. Close down all USD denominated account and convert the funds at agreed fx rate to Naira, then allow importers to conduct their businesses with certain tact and tax. Right ? But CBN decided to fix false exchange rate for Naira and still changes policy up and down like amarteurs. Do they not know that the single problem facing the economic is keeping funds in foreign currencies called Dorm accounts ?

Close down dorm account and allow every international transfers be settled in our local currency. That solves the very immediate step.

I believe the government is already allowing verified importers access to dollar to conduct their businesses. But, of course, they can do more.

1 Like

Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by Kay17: 5:43pm On Mar 29, 2016
Nigerians want cheap imported motor oil but don't want to pay the cost of keeping it cheap.
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by Kay17: 5:46pm On Mar 29, 2016
Reference:
I think the American government should stop meddling in our affairs and let us learn from hardship since this is the only logical way of the black man. It is apparent this nation and her leaders are hell bent at remaining beggarly and tied to the yoke of big oil. They don't want to work. Leave the horse at the river. When it is thirsty it will do the needful. Did anyone beg them to remove fuel subsidy.

When do you want the US or international community to intervene?
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by Willybos(m): 5:48pm On Mar 29, 2016
new2020:
This one nah cake walk for US...Obama go tell Buhari, choose one: devalue Naira or We will openly push for Biiafra Independence and support with military option if need be. Want to end up like Gaddafi? Before him finish, Buhari go say...consider it done!

I assure you between God and man...Buhari will come back and devalue Naira.
look at this poor foolish igbo man . If u don't have something 2 comment. pls, reserve ur comment ok.

2 Likes

Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by Kay17: 5:52pm On Mar 29, 2016
Atlantian:

Simple: Radical approach is the answer; Stop giving States Allocation. Yes, stop giving also means stop taking from states. States should exploit their resources and manage their infrastructures and build their power plants, while paying 40% taxes on oil/gas, solid minerals to Federal Government. States should establish their police and clinics and schools.

Federal Government is supposed to be a supervisor of States, not the God of States.

Except we change the governing structure, we must go down, real down.

When you say States should exploit their natural resources what do you really mean? Does that mean direct investment?

Who will pay for the army navy and air force?

Who will manage inter state commerce?

What about air travel sea and rail regulations?

Who will pay for that?
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by jpphilips(m): 5:59pm On Mar 29, 2016
Atlantian:

Run along boy, shoes get sizes, I am sure you will meet your equal on the way up. I hate trading by the way, when one says I am a businessmen, its only trading that comes to your mind. You shouldnt blame me for your ignorance please. Its best to get adequate knowledge before coming here to debate.

Please dont write again, you seem not willing to de-learn those junks and re-learn working modules.

I take it that you are not worth my 17:59, most of you come here to learn indirectly by arguing from a chimps point of view.
I am sure if those answers were any easy, you would have googled it right?
Business man ko bingo man ni, ogbeni rat poison claiming businessman online. If you don't know the answer to those rudimentary questions, what knowledge do you have to be speaking about the currency and what the Govt should do? Trader was even an over statement.
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by jpphilips(m): 6:00pm On Mar 29, 2016
Kay17:

When you say States should exploit their natural resources what do you really mean? Does that mean direct investment?

Who will pay for that?

Stop wasting your time with a rat poison hawker, I just learnt my lessons.
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by ochuko2020: 6:04pm On Mar 29, 2016
D'is exactly what prophet TBJ said . D'is tin happening right now are not just ordinary any one close to BUBU pls talk to him ! It's high time to seek one or two advise from our prophet . There must be a way out .. My option
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by mutvy: 6:05pm On Mar 29, 2016
Ghana devalued the cedis in the 80's and paid heavily for it. I wish what I was reading was false.
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by erico2k2(m): 6:06pm On Mar 29, 2016
musicwriter:

I believe the government is already allowing verified importers access to dollar to conduct their businesses. But, of course, they can do more.
Why assume? Thsee frame of minds are the reason our politicians take us for a ride. .My Mrs applied for just N10k dolars. 6 months ago request still at CBN..guy nor even start.
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by timiwillson: 6:06pm On Mar 29, 2016
funny people

Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by erico2k2(m): 6:08pm On Mar 29, 2016
mutvy:
Ghana devalued the cedis in the 80's and paid heavily for it. I wish what I was reading was false.
The biggest devaluer in history are the Germans.
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by Sctests: 6:12pm On Mar 29, 2016
Many people talking here do not know that the US brought Buhari to power and have a right to order him around. Buhari is owned by Obama who helped sway the minds of the populace with 'media fixing and doctoring' to elect Buhari when they fell out with GEJ.
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by erico2k2(m): 6:24pm On Mar 29, 2016
Sctests:
Many people talking here do not know that the US brought Buhari to power and have a right to order him around. Buhari is owned by Obama who helped sway the minds of the populace with 'media fixing and doctoring' to elect Buhari when they fell out with GEJ.
Ahaha THANK you. That cheered me up.
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by rhektor(m): 6:35pm On Mar 29, 2016
Always pressuring Africa, nawao what is their gain when the naira is devalued? Nigerians read between the lines these American are evil

1 Like

Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by Nobody: 6:59pm On Mar 29, 2016
Nigerians take note.

why is America concerned about whether we devalue our naira or not?

something smells fishy here.

1 Like

Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by TomLepskie(m): 7:01pm On Mar 29, 2016
Stolen:

Commenting is not by force if u have nothing valuable to contribute. It is better to be silence dan 4 people to know ur empty upstairs.

Until Nigerians exterminate imbeciles, we will continue to suffer. U are a hopeless liability to ur nation.

My friend find somewhere go sidon, u hear? Nigeria should reject any loan or advice from IMF. Where u from sef.
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by Atlantian: 7:23pm On Mar 29, 2016
Kay17:

Who will pay for that?

1. From Crude Oil, to Gas within States boundaries will be owned by States, mined by States and 40% tax paid to Federal Government. Then Federal Government owns oil and gas deposits outside the littoral zones of the states to 200 nautical miles into the ocean. And keep the proceeds 100%. Same thing with solid minerals. States should sign MoU on FDI with which ever investor they want.

2. Proceeds from the above, and taxes is enough to run any navy, airforce, Federal Police, education etc.

3. Interstate commerce will be managed by the Commissioners of Business And Commerce within the catchment states with supervision from the Minister of Commerce and Industry at Abuja.

4. Air Travel will be regulated by the FAAN and each State can decide to investment intra and international routes, same for Sea Travel, managed my Ministry of Transport.

5. States pay for every obligation from the Federal Government, so each State functions basically as independent unit supervised by Abuja.

The competition will naturally make each State Government follow working prototypes of any turnkey system developed by a better state.

State is where mistakes are made and corrected and certain paradigm modules from states are implemented at Federal level if it was successful in the State.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by NavierStokes(m): 7:26pm On Mar 29, 2016
mutvy:

Yes but they came out better

The rest of the more than 30 African countries who didn't implement the IMF recommendations to the latter, became worse off afterwards. Such structural changes are implemented with consistency over time, mix them with corruption and the outcome, present day Nigeria.
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by baby124: 7:26pm On Mar 29, 2016
Cheaper importation of Nigeria's oil of course. wink
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by Kay17: 7:31pm On Mar 29, 2016
Atlantian:

1. From Crude Oil, to Gas within States boundaries will be owned by States, mined by States and 40% tax paid to Federal Government. Then Federal Government owns oil and gas deposits outside the littoral zones of the states to 200 nautical miles into the ocean. And keep the proceeds 100%. Same thing with solid minerals. States should sign MoU on FDI with which ever investor they want.

2. Proceeds from the above, and taxes is enough to run any navy, airforce, Federal Police, education etc.

3. Interstate commerce will be managed by the Commissioners of Business And Commerce within the catchment states with supervision from the Minister of Commerce and Industry at Abuja.

4. Air Travel will be regulated by the FAAN and each State can decide to investment intra and international routes, same for Sea Travel, managed my Ministry of Transport.

5. States pay for every obligation from the Federal Government, so each State functions basically as independent unit supervised by Abuja.

The competition will naturally make each State Government follow working prototypes of any turnkey system developed by a better state.

State is where mistakes are made and corrected and certain paradigm modules from states are implemented at Federal level if it was successful in the State.

In other words to hell with States without oil. Your federal system is based on the conjecture that all States must at least a natural resource. The States without natural resources, will naturally falter and sink into poverty merely because God refused to bury oil under their feet.

Now if the States refuse to pay the federal govt, what will happen? War?

Military budgets can take up to 40 percent of a country's GDP. Military equipment isn't cheap.

FAAN is still a federal body, similarly seaports and rail will have to be administered by the federal govt since they are issues concerning the entire country.

So the federal govt will still be large and will need a large budget to maintain itself.
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by dunkem21(m): 7:32pm On Mar 29, 2016
NavierStokes:

I came across this from before the last general elections, can you please auote aksonmans post on the frontpage. That was from a year ago and GEJ had managed timely devaluations unlike Buhari who has wasted so much time that devaluation now may be detrimental to our economy. The devaluation issue should have been a quick response at the initial stage now we have a very huge gap between the official and parallel rates which may make an eventual devaluation to have significant adverse effect on the economy. Well the inflation is already here.

Saw this late. Sorry.
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by NavierStokes(m): 7:38pm On Mar 29, 2016
dunkem21:

Saw this late. Sorry.

No worries mate, had come upon the Aksonman's quote and needed a wider read.

1 Like

Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by erico2k2(m): 8:05pm On Mar 29, 2016
Kay17:

In other words to hell with States without oil. Your federal system is based on the conjecture that all States must at least a natural resource. The States without natural resources, will naturally falter and sink into poverty merely because God refused to bury oil under their feet.

Military budgets can take up to 40 percent of a country's GDP. Military equipment isn't cheap.

FAAN is still a federal body, similarly seaports and rail will have to be administered by the federal govt since they are issues concerning the entire country.

So the federal govt will still be large and will need a large budget to maintain itself.
Sorry to dive in here BUT
FANN same case as BAA, public owned.
The Ports at felixstowe and Tilbury are owned by public
This is waht we should do, Govt cannot run all of these,if it
goes private they will design more innovative ways of being in teh green.
Talking about Oil,there are states with Gold deposit,Timber,Agriculture,(farm produce)Bitumen,Aluminum,Tin,Limestone,Iron ore etc.Silicon the list goes on.
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by Atlantian: 8:22pm On Mar 29, 2016
Kay17:

You should simply ask me questions without resorting to conclusions based on your assumption. There will be no internal wars to fight, no Boko Haram, no Biafra agitators and no Militants once they people are directly in ownership of their resources.

2. The States will explore resources they have, be it farm land, or Timber, be it cocoa, groundnut, even States like Anambra can become manufacturing hub. There is no single State without great resources even Borno State. But if there is any States that are ready to merge, then their houses of Assembly should discuss and meet with NASS to ratify the laws to effect their emergence.

3. 40% is very much great for a Federal Government if utlized without corrution. We are talking about 40% from all the States and 100% the Fed will keep from resources from littoral waters etc plus an enhanced and focused tax regime
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by macaranta(m): 8:24pm On Mar 29, 2016
erico2k2:

Check BBC news today. Lol the Saudi where reported to have lost the Oil war as Russia, the US,Iran,Iraq and China Increased production and supply. We must run away from Oil.
Actually that's the proposed OPEC strategy,pump up production rates so that the profit margins for shale oil becomes less lucrative.That is to say,if anyone uses shale technology for production they will be producing at a loss and can't compete with the excessively low pricing of oil,thereby halting shale explorations.
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by erico2k2(m): 8:37pm On Mar 29, 2016
macaranta:

Actually that's the proposed OPEC strategy,pump up production rates so that the profit margins for shale oil becomes less lucrative.That is to say,if anyone uses shale technology for production they will be producing at a loss and can't compete with the excessively low pricing of oil,thereby halting shale explorations.
you are missing the point, shale is actually a cheaper way of getting Oil off the ground.
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by Nobody: 9:04pm On Mar 29, 2016
If you devalue naira pass the current level, then all I need is CBN Governor's signature on toilet paper for kuli kuli and garri shocked
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by macaranta(m): 9:07pm On Mar 29, 2016
erico2k2:

you are missing the point, shale is actually a cheaper way of getting Oil off the ground.
production cost of a barrel of shale oil ranges from as high as US$95 per barrel to as low US$25 per barrel, although there is no recent confirmation of the latter figure.[4] The industry is proceeding cautiously, due to the losses incurred during the last major investment into oil shale in the early 1980s, when a subsequent collapse in the oil price left the projects uneconomical.[5]

Culled from wiki ..you can research further.

1 Like

Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by King44(m): 9:50pm On Mar 29, 2016
Makweembo:

SOURCE: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-nigeria-currency-idUSKCN0WU1M4

My comment - I am not surprised. This is EXACTLY what TB Joshua said in his 2016 prophecy: "The president will do everything to reject revaluation of the naira - which is a good idea from a good leader. But there will be overwhelming pressure which he will not be able to resist. Nigerians, support and pray for your leader. The future is crying for help."
if Buhari devaluate benin republic go better pass naija
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by oyinkinola: 9:50pm On Mar 29, 2016
it's a pity, many nigerian were advocate of world bank and the west and american, they were many among nigeria economist, how the economist believe the dead theory of the west that nigeria have only one mean of resource and when the prce of it is down that's all for nigeria,where is our looted fund reserve in america and europe, that's not our money, why all our economist refuse to talk about it, where is our looted fund?)
Re: US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters by miqos02(m): 10:03pm On Mar 29, 2016
new2020:

Personally I think Naira should be devalued to 220 officially. This will bring parralel market rate to 230. This will help ordinary Nigerians. As it's right now only the elite are enjoying the astounding difference in official and parralel market rates.

what happened to the last devaluation of the naira in december 2014? from 160 to 198

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Toni Kan Declines Appointment As Sadiya Umar Farouq's Spokesman / Abba Kyari: 3 US Law Firms Consulted To Defend DCP / Emefiele Pumped ₦‎10Tn Into Economy Through Quasi-Fiscal Activities – Cardoso

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.