Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,962 members, 7,825,016 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:37 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11787) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11729777 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11784) (11785) (11786) (11787) (11788) (11789) (11790) ... (16171) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lloydtruth: 10:21pm On Nov 30, 2021
charlesemeka85:
Chidera ejike wins Cska’s player of the month award

Winning the award back to back. Looks like he's the only player in CSKA Moscow.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:21pm On Nov 30, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

Very well said, Mikel was a gem and that Mourinho didn't help him develop honestly to be the best Mikel we could have seen. With what he showed at the U17 and U21 he should have been competing for world's best at some point. Mourinho so limited him that on one of the rare occasions that Mikel scored, Mourinho made it seem like an unimaginable feat. And Mikel too by his nature, looks like someone wey no like wahala, he would follow the coach's instructions to the letter.

He had no choice because he was receiving the bulk.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:22pm On Nov 30, 2021
teamoneline:

Do you know how many before xavi did there coaching badges and failed? Please that type of luxury is not available with national team or even junior teams. Going by what you said we would have to test for so many years just to land that xavi? C'mon. Let's use division two as a lab where we do the experiments and national teams as end product of successful experiments.

There should be factors that go into it before selection. However, a key depth in tactical understanding and scouting procedures can form a basis of selecting sound coaches. It will not be a throw of dice pick.

We don't have the luxury of getting quality foreign based coaches. If not we get white coaches who are mediocre to our local coaches. The only solution is to support of local coaches and give them time to show their worth. They intern with a top quality tactician before taking over.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:25pm On Nov 30, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

Btw I disagree with you. Ekong, shehu, current musa are not average.

Lol ,sorry Baba

They are below average grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:25pm On Nov 30, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

The never ending argument about to start again.

Lols
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:29pm On Nov 30, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

The never ending argument about to start again.

Deres nothing like never ending..Andrew wey put ndidi among above average player sef is debatable grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 10:37pm On Nov 30, 2021
forgiveness:

He had no choice because he was receiving the bulk.
Mikel that should have succeeded Zidane with playmaking albeit without the goals. And who knows that could have been worked on too. 2020 vision always the best who knows what he could have become if he had gone to Man Utd because Fergie would never have tried to turn him to a Makalele type of player.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:39pm On Nov 30, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

Mikel that should have succeeded Zidane with playmaking albeit without the goals. And who knows that could have been worked on too.

Exactly! But Oyinbo doesn’t believe an African can play that role well.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:45pm On Nov 30, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

Mikel that should have succeeded Zidane with playmaking albeit without the goals. And who knows that could have been worked on too. 2020 vision always the best who knows what he could have become if he had gone to Man Utd because Fergie would never have tried to turn him to a Makalele type of player.

Ferguson had a plan and loved Mikel to a fault. I never saw a coach love a player the way Ferguson loved Mikel. I don't know why Nigerians are so money-driven. John Shittu destroyed Mikel for his monetary gain.

He could have gone for any other player but he just had to take Mikel from Ferguson.

We can only imagine what would have happened if Mikel played side by side with Paul Scholes for over a decade. It would have been amazing and Mikel would have been celebrated as one of the intellects of the game.

Mikel remains a dark cloud in the story of Nigerian football. He was just too intelligent and gifted.

Kashimawo Laloko said as soon as he saw Mikel play, he knew he found the best player in the country.

A sad tale.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:48pm On Nov 30, 2021
Subzero047:

Ndidi is the farthest from being SE captain, I think Balogun is next in line

Balogun might not play more than one more afcon and World Cup with the way I am seeing ,so If you make him captain he won’t last longer
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:49pm On Nov 30, 2021
charlesemeka85:
Chidera ejike wins Cska’s player of the month award

Well deserved
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:50pm On Nov 30, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

Plateau United fans booed aggressively when they saw a lanky secondary school boy marching in to play for their team. But, as soon as the ball came to Mikel, they were silent.

He was a gem. That is what I call unearthing a gem. Babawo Mohammed, Kashimawo Laloko, and Eguavoen did something good there.

Credit also goes to Ferguson for training him with the senior players at Manchester United.

Sad the world did not get to enjoy his brilliance.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 10:51pm On Nov 30, 2021
forgiveness:

Exactly! But Oyinbo doesn’t believe an African can play that role well.
I think also the Mourinho factor too. Mourinho is a short term person in my own opinion, he just wants to win now and doesn't care about 2moro. That's why he discarded Salah and DeBruyne. Even he and Pogba eventually fell out because of his boring and negative tactics. At that point in Chelsea, Mourinho felt he had Lampard but Makalele was getting old so he just threw in Mikel to meet his needs then.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 10:51pm On Nov 30, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Well deserved

Is this from your heart?

He doesn't play for Barca you know

grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 10:52pm On Nov 30, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Plateau United fans booed aggressively when they saw a lanky secondary school boy marching in to play for their team. But, as soon as the ball came to Mikel, they were silent.

He was a gem. That is what I call unearthing a gem. Babawo Mohammed, Kashimawo Laloko, and Eguavoen did something good there.

Credit also goes to Ferguson for training him with the senior players at Manchester United.

Sad the world did not get to enjoy his brilliance.
In my opinion, Mikel was a generational talent. You don't get the Okochas and Mikels of this world all the time.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:53pm On Nov 30, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Ferguson had a plan and loved Mikel to a fault. I never saw a coach love a player the way Ferguson loved Mikel. I don't know why Nigerians are so money-driven. John Shittu destroyed Mikel for his monetary gain.

He could have gone for any other player but he just had to take Mikel from Ferguson.

We can only imagine what would have happened if Mikel played side by side with Paul Scholes for over a decade. It would have been amazing and Mikel would have been celebrated as one of the intellects of the game.

Mikel remains a dark cloud in the story of Nigerian football. He was just too intelligent and gifted.

Kashimawo Laloko said as soon as he saw Mikel play, he knew he found the best player in the country.

A sad tale.
you are absolutely right. Ola shittu was the one that Chelsea used to entice mikels poor family then with the type of money they hv never seen before.

The Chelsea move then was money driven. Also a lot of promises were made to mikel and one was that he will be part of the first team immediately while United had plans of sending him on loan to Antwerp in Belgium then for a season before he will be integrated into the team

Fergie did all he could to sign mikel and it almost happened before Chelsea came to the picture. His plan was to prepare mikel as the heir to aging Paul scholes

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:54pm On Nov 30, 2021
darkelf:

Is this from your heart?

He doesn't play for Barca you know

grin

Smiles

You know say me Dey talk Things as I see am

Ejuke has been good for cska Moscow this month
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:54pm On Nov 30, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

In my opinion, Mikel was a generational talent. You don't get the Okochas and Mikels of this world all the time.
mikel,okocha and Kanu are generational talents that I doubt we can produce such anytime soon

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:54pm On Nov 30, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

Mikel is way more reserved than Ndidi yet Mikel was captain.

I have seen Ndidi charge his team as a leader, especially against Benin Republic and I won't 4get how he calmed down Basco's homeboy Anayo on his debut.

Agreed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 10:55pm On Nov 30, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Smiles

You know say me Dey talk Things as I see am

Ejuke has been good for cska Moscow this month

I know bro

Just decided to pull your legs small

cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:56pm On Nov 30, 2021
elyte89:

Deres nothing like never ending..Andrew wey put ndidi among above average player sef is debatable grin

Osimhen and ndidi is very debatable

Na Just my opinion
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:56pm On Nov 30, 2021
darkelf:

I know bro

Just decided to pull your legs small

cheesy

Smiles
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:57pm On Nov 30, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

Mikel succeed zidane grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:01pm On Nov 30, 2021
andrewbaba44:

not exactly but mikel would hv been a top CAM in European club football
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:01pm On Nov 30, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

I think also the Mourinho factor too. Mourinho is a short term person in my own opinion, he just wants to win now and doesn't care about 2moro. That's why he discarded Salah and DeBruyne. Even he and Pogba eventually fell out because of his boring and negative tactics. At that point in Chelsea, Mourinho felt he had Lampard but Makalele was getting old so he just threw in Mikel to meet his needs then.

I agree with you but I still doubt if Oyinbo believes an African can play the amf role.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 11:02pm On Nov 30, 2021
As the football world celebrates Lionel Messi's 7th Ballon d'Or win, is it not high time we had done some introspection and asked ourselves why a nation such as Nigeria with its glorious footballing track record cannot yet boast of a single Ballon d'Or winner? In this article http:///s5d2ed7ea211130en_ng?link=1&client=news , i examine some key factors which have led to this sad situation and recommend some solutions to the problem.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:03pm On Nov 30, 2021
charlesemeka85:
not exactly but mikel would hv been a top CAM in European club football

Na Mikel kill him self ,make nobody blame mourinho

Well he still ended up as a top player sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:03pm On Nov 30, 2021
After mikel signed for Chelsea he had displinary issues with Jose like coming to training late as reported and was demoted to Chelsea’s 2nd team, even tipped for a loan move to Hamburg at the end of the season. His performances with the teams 2nd team prompted the Portuguese to recall him to the first team because he was class above players at that level

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:04pm On Nov 30, 2021
andrewbaba44:

One hundred percent. I had no doubt in my mind.

When Mikel pulled off this skill, Chelsea fans were shocked at his capability. He was never given the chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL4QV5v2iCM

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 11:06pm On Nov 30, 2021
forgiveness:

I agree with you but I still doubt if Oyinbo believes an African can play the amf role.
We do have exceptions though. An Abedi Pele wasn't held back, at least Klopp allows Keita to play as a CM or even AM occasionally. When Pellegrini was coaching City, Yaya usually had a free role on the field. I agree with you, a lot of the Oyinbos will automatically believe an African midfielder should be a DM or at most a CM. Okocha had issues too in Europe until Bolton, he was underutilized too.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:06pm On Nov 30, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Na Mikel kill him self ,make nobody blame mourinho

Well he still ended up as a top player sha
you won’t blame him bro. The kid wanted a better offer to help family back home

Do you know even when the Chelsea and man United debacle on his transfer was still not resolved your Barca wanted to snatch him cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:06pm On Nov 30, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

One hundred percent. I had no doubt in my mind.

When Mikel pulled off this skill, Chelsea fans were shocked at his capability. He was never given the chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL4QV5v2iCM

Mikel was just too relaxed playing for Chelsea

He feels he doesn’t need to do anything more or keep improving

(1) (2) (3) ... (11784) (11785) (11786) (11787) (11788) (11789) (11790) ... (16171) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ChrisKels and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.