Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,632 members, 7,809,370 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:24 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6509) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11588684 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6506) (6507) (6508) (6509) (6510) (6511) (6512) ... (16120) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:53pm On Jul 07, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Chelsea starlet Fikayo Tomori could become the most expensive Nigerian defender in history if transfer speculations are anything to go by.

The Daily Star is reporting that Burnley are hoping to clinch a £15m deal for Tomori, who is also eligible to represent the senior national teams of Canada and England.

Should Chelsea agree to do business with The Clarets, Tomori will become the costliest defender eligible to represent Nigeria, surpassing the 12 million euros Inter Milan paid Auxerre for Taribo West in June 1997.

Tomori was loaned out to Derby County for the entirety of last season and was named the club's Player of the Year and spent the previous season at Hull City.

With Chelsea slapped with a two-window transfer ban, it is thought that the central defender is in the plans of new Blues boss Frank Lampard as he was included in the pre-season squad for games against Bohemians and St Patrick's Athletic FC this week.

Although Manuel Akanji is a Switzerland international and no longer eligible for the Super Eagles, he is the most expensive defender of Nigerian descent in history, costing Borussia Dortmund €21.5 million when he was acquired from FC Basel in 2018.

Tomori has upped his game.

I siad sometime ago that Fikayo was arguably the best CB in the Championship 2018/19. The very successful season that Frank Lampard had was predominantly anchored on the performances of Fikayo.

I doubt if Lampard will let him go on loan and or be sold for the paltry sum of £15 million right now is way undervalued for a young promising and outstanding CB that he is.

2017/18 l slated him as bang average and not good enough as a RB for the SE when l watched him live up close and personal several times that season. But he has turned it all round in one season.

IMO the best Nigerian origin CB yet to be capped.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:54pm On Jul 07, 2019
Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that Belgian First Division A side Club Brugge have won the race for Nigeria U23 international David Okereke.

Club Brugge have reached an agreement with Italian club Spezia over the transfer of the talented winger who was courted by a host of clubs in the English Premier League.

Southampton, Newcastle United, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Crystal Palace were monitoring the situation of Okereke with a view to a summer move but they have missed out on his services.

The 21-year-old will undergo a medical with Club Brugge on Monday, July 8 ahead of his unveiling by the Blue-Black.

He is highly thought of by Super Eagles boss Gernot Rohr who invited him to beef up the senior national team squad ahead of a friendly against Egypt in March after watching him in action for 12 minutes in an U23 AFCON qualifier against Libya.

Okereke was one of the outstanding performers in the Serie B last season, scoring 10 goals and providing 12 asssits in 30 appearances.

He is represented by renowned Italian agent Patrick Bastianelli, who used to handle the affairs of Odion Ighalo on behalf of Atta Aneke during his time with Udinese.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jubilantagida: 11:55pm On Jul 07, 2019
TheCongo2:

Can't Nigeria develop its own league? Why do Africans have to rely on western countries. What was the point of getting independence?
Sorry for my venting.

One can't wait for the other.

The ideal thing to do is depend on the foreign alternatives while we build our leagues, in fact, that's the only way.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:55pm On Jul 07, 2019
forgiveness:

Please, watch the match again. All Nigerian's players were in the half of the Camerounians and about 5 or 6 players were in the box to receive a cross. That was part of Rohr's tactics not the movement of Chukwueze.

Agreed without reservation.

Not every one has the capacity to be objective on this thread. Many are carried away on a wave of sentimentality and emotive favoritism.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:56pm On Jul 07, 2019
him and uduokhai are the best for now
komekn:

Tomori has upped his game.

I siad sometime ago that Fikayo was arguably the best CB in the Championship 2018/19. The very successful season that Frank Lampard had was predominantly anchored on the performances of Fikayo.

I doubt if Lampard will let him go on loan and or be sold for the paltry sum of £15 million right now is way undervalued for a young promising and outstanding CB that he is.

2017/18 l slated him as bang average and not good enough as a RB for the SE when l watched him live up close and personal several times that season. But he has turned it all round in one season.

IMO the best Nigerian origin CB yet to be capped.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:59pm On Jul 07, 2019
cc12:
I hope he becomes serious this time around and gets a club in Belgium Pro League

On what basis, poor performances playing before the youth team of Porto.

However, it depends on how good his agent is its still possible. A lot of the time particularly in lower level league and clubs, players through agent influence can be given opportunity.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:05am On Jul 08, 2019
andrew444:

Another person that doesn't know anything about football

Where semid dey ?
Quit this puerile stunts. Instead of you to reply him fact to fact you decide to go low trying to shame him.

You na old hand here na.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:05am On Jul 08, 2019
AIG07:
Ighalo is similar to Emenike. Ighalo like Emenike is inconsistent. Emenike did well and contributed his quota to the national team and won the AFCON abut was never loved by Nigerians... Ighalo is towing same path.

Nigerians don't just like him. Nothing more.

I disagree l am Nigerian and consider him our best striker with nobody near him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 12:10am On Jul 08, 2019
Joebie:
if Rorh still can't beat SA wetin remain?
No excuses, we have to avenge our Uyo loss, else we should never boast wherever they are.

Exactly

Just for that Uyo loss, I'll be going with the SE 100%. I will be dusting off my optimist cap and putting it on

Especially to melt the mouth of a certain IronGalaxy on this thread

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:21am On Jul 08, 2019
komekn:

I disagree l am Nigerian and consider him our best striker with nobody near him.
So you alone is representative of the broad Nigerian people?

Ighalo is not fan's favorite. That's a fact.

Not many know that Kanu never scored in an AFCON. And someone posted that ighalo has ten goals now same with Kanu yet Kanu is regarded as a Nigerian soccer god.

Ighalo is like Akpoborie more or less.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:24am On Jul 08, 2019
darkelf:

Exactly

Just for that Uyo loss, I'll be going with the SE 100%. I will be dusting off my optimist cap and putting it on

Abeg ooo continue to wear your pessimist crown ooo cos we've been winning inspite of it. No go dust your optimist cap now and we come go lose.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 12:26am On Jul 08, 2019
darkelf:

Exactly

I'd prefer the pessimist you Sha.....since you nor support us we dey win, now that you wan support like this make you nor go pour sand sand for we garri abeg....

Kindly be a Zulu man for the next couple of days grin

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 12:29am On Jul 08, 2019
Mujtahida:

Not many know that Kanu never scored in an AFCON. And someone posted that ighalo has ten goals now same with Kanu yet Kanu is regarded as a Nigerian soccer god.

ighalo is our best striker at the moment, I don't know bout you or the remaining NIGERIANS but I love him and follow him on all social media accounts.... He is a senior man, case closed

Pls don't try to compare with kanu Abeg....that's a shiity comparism....

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 12:30am On Jul 08, 2019
Mujtahida:

Abeg ooo continue to wear your pessimist crown ooo cos we've been winning inspite of it. No go dust your optimist cap now and we come go lose.

Hahahahaha. Nice one
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 12:31am On Jul 08, 2019
Starboytwo:
I'd prefer the pessimist you Sha.....since you nor support us we dey win, now that you wan support like this make you nor go pour sand sand for we garri abeg....

Kindly be a Zulu man for the next couple of days grin

Hahahahahaha. Why are you guys talking like this now

DOn't worry, we will win by even a bigger margin cheesy wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 1:54am On Jul 08, 2019
lexyman:

The Coach of SA made the Egyptian team to look Ordinary , he is a good Tactician

It's not hard to make the Egyptian team look ordinary

Just block Mo Salah

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 1:56am On Jul 08, 2019
darkelf:
Football isn't math but I don't see Tunisia getting past Ghana tomorrow

Mali vs Ivory Coast is going to be a tight affair. May go to extra time

I wanted Mali vs Ghana, Tunisia vs Ivory coast grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 1:58am On Jul 08, 2019
safarigirl:

This isn't the league

The league has 32 games, home and away, this doesn't have any home and away, there are no do-overs, no chance to correct a bad formation. You lose, you're out.

Hey girl, I was lost in the celebration yesterday

I'm waiting for the transfer window to close to make up the rest of my FPL team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 2:01am On Jul 08, 2019
darkelf:

Exactly

We have a convert grin

Welcome brother Light elf

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 2:05am On Jul 08, 2019
Earthquake3:

We have a convert grin

Welcome brother Light elf

Its Just for the SA match smiley

I will always be Darkelf and look at the darker side of things cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 3:42am On Jul 08, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that Belgian First Division A side Club Brugge have won the race for Nigeria U23 international David Okereke.

Club Brugge have reached an agreement with Italian club Spezia over the transfer of the talented winger who was courted by a host of clubs in the English Premier League.

Southampton, Newcastle United, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Crystal Palace were monitoring the situation of Okereke with a view to a summer move but they have missed out on his services.

The 21-year-old will undergo a medical with Club Brugge on Monday, July 8 ahead of his unveiling by the Blue-Black.

He is highly thought of by Super Eagles boss Gernot Rohr who invited him to beef up the senior national team squad ahead of a friendly against Egypt in March after watching him in action for 12 minutes in an U23 AFCON qualifier against Libya.

Okereke was one of the outstanding performers in the Serie B last season, scoring 10 goals and providing 12 asssits in 30 appearances.

He is represented by renowned Italian agent Patrick Bastianelli, who used to handle the affairs of Odion Ighalo on behalf of Atta Aneke during his time with Udinese.
Hmmm don't know what to think of this. I'd rather he moves to Serie A than go to Belgium.
Our players need to grab any opportunity they have to play at top leagues.
Look how much Aina and Omeruo has improved. Omeruo was wasting him time at Turkey all this while.
Put development first when you're young and you can run to China or wherever for you last payday later on(i.e Ighalo)

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 3:49am On Jul 08, 2019
lexyman:

The Coach of SA made the Egyptian team to look Ordinary , he is a good Tactician
He's impressed me no lie. I never rated him(thought Ruud Krol would've been a better option) considering how he flopped with a more talented Mzansi side back in 04-05.
I think he just took Mashaba's formula and ran with it (keep things tight and hit on the break).

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by samtol4(m): 4:01am On Jul 08, 2019
edi287:

He's impressed me no lie. I never rated him(thought Ruud Krol would've been a better option) considering how he flopped with a more talented Mzansi side back in 04-05.
I think he just took Mashaba's formula and ran with it (keep things tight and hit on the break).
Mashaba remains the best coach for SA and don't understand why sacked him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 4:03am On Jul 08, 2019
samtol4:
Mashaba remains the best coach for SA and don't understand why sacked him
He's the Amodu Shuaibu of South Africa. People didn't like him because he didn't play entertaining football. Dude got the results when it was required.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 4:19am On Jul 08, 2019
Sorry to derail o
Allison Becker:

Champions league champion

Copa America champion

Champions league golden glove

Premier league golden glove

Copa America golden glove

62 games played and 36 goals conceded

36 clean sheets

A sure Top 5 balloon D'or finisher if not a contender

#YNWA

14 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:55am On Jul 08, 2019
According to Abola.com, Ligue 1 team, Nantes, want to sign Nigerian international defender, Chidozie Awaziem on a permanent deal. Awaziem played on loan from Porto for Nantes in the 2017/18 season.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 6:35am On Jul 08, 2019
jihday:
Hmmmm

These are not TRUE.

Awaziem got dribbled countless times. One even earned him a yellow card

Omeruo got beaten once that I can remember in the Cameroon game

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:59am On Jul 08, 2019
Mujtahida:

Chaaaaiiii..... Elf of Darkness oooo....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 7:04am On Jul 08, 2019
Mujtahida:

Quit this puerile stunts. Instead of you to reply him fact to fact you decide to go low trying to shame him.

You na old hand here na.

Alright
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ucheo: 7:50am On Jul 08, 2019
I have reasons to believe that Mikel, jamilu, shehu all came to camp with injuries..why was seyi ajayi dropped.
Nigerians need to demand a better explanations from the coach

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:52am On Jul 08, 2019
Mujtahida:

First of all, l gave my personal opinion to negate the proposition that nobody likes Ighalo. Because I unapologetically do.

Nairaland does not represent the views of all Nigerians neither do you and I.

How popular he is l really don't know because we would have to have substantive survey to ascertain that.

Nonetheless, one thing that's apparent here, is that accolades and ability are not based on proven established fact but emotive sentiment. Even when the facts are right before our eyes.

But then it should not surprising. The terminology football fan is derived from the word fanatic. People who are fanatical are usually unable to be rational, objective, balanced and devoid of emotive prejudiced sentiment.

So let's find it all good comedy never to be taken serious.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6506) (6507) (6508) (6509) (6510) (6511) (6512) ... (16120) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89 and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.