Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,473 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6729) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11693240 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6726) (6727) (6728) (6729) (6730) (6731) (6732) ... (16157) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 10:24pm On Jul 28, 2019
ChrisKels:

Deji Behruether and Chima Okoroji should borrow a leaf, go down to Bundesliga 2 to display their wares and improve themselves instead of sitting on the bench of Bundesliga clubs and occasionally playing for their youth teams in the Regionaliga, Collins has already blazed the trail, and here is Agu following same footpath.

Got my eyes on him already and he is just 19

Good. Chima Okoroji today played 90mins for Regensburg as a left back oooo in 4 4 2 formation...They beat Hamburg 3-1 in Bundesliga 2
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:29pm On Jul 28, 2019
gamaliel9:

Good. Chima Okoroji today played 90mins for Regensburg as a left back oooo in 4 4 2 formation...They beat Hamburg 3-1 in Bundesliga 2

The guy got a good rating today sha, but it was it was rather Bochum they beat, not Hamburg

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 11:10pm On Jul 28, 2019
Tryonne Ebuehi came on at the 73rd minutes for Nuno and played a vital part in helping his team Benfica retain their 1goal lead as they defeat AC Milan in an International club friendly match.

Good to have the lad back.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:10pm On Jul 28, 2019
Former Chelsea youth-teamer Michael Olise has been allocated a new shirt number by Championship outfit Reading, six days before their first competitive game of the new season against Sheffield Wednesday.

The France U18 international donned the number 48 jersey when he made his professional debut against Leeds United in March 2019.

Reading have confirmed that Olise will be wearing the number 21 shirt in the new season and added that the number is subject to change before it is submitted to the Football Association and Football League.

The 17-year-old playmaker wore the number 11 jersey when he made his international debut for the French team against Qatar at the 2019 Toulon Tournament.

Meanwhile, he showed flashes of brilliance as Reading lost 4-3 at home to Chelsea in their final pre-season game on Sunday after coming off the bench at half-time.

Sam Baldock halved the deficit with 20 minutes left on the clock, with Olise providing the assist for his goal.

Fikayo Tomori and Tammy Abraham played 45 minutes each for the Europa League holders.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 11:15pm On Jul 28, 2019
Earthquake2:

Don't be carried away he scored 4 goals last preseason
carried away you say? No,trust me saw hunger in his approach and that's all he need to get back to his best considering his talent. I hope he has a good run of minutes. An early goal in the forth coming campaign might be a good turning point in his career.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:23pm On Jul 28, 2019
Powerful header by Kalu (3:24)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxinTDhg4ck

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:46pm On Jul 28, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
You need not wait for Valentine to step up sef. Stephen Odey is already a good testimony for the league.

Colin Udoh covers this in that piece. Players in the league need to go out and learn again.

Odey, that people were already saying, he should join super eagles. It is obvious that he was not super eagles quality then because even now, he is still a work in progress..

I have always been of the opinion that you can't just pick players from the league. The quality is not good enough. The talented ones will go abroad and find their way to the top. Most will disappear.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 11:46pm On Jul 28, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Portugal is just producing quality talents at a large rate. Rafael Leao plays a lot like Jo of Brazil who played for Cska Moscow, Manchester City, Everton and Galasataray.

Wish Osimhen the best.

Yea they are producing quality talents, their no 9 in the U20 world cup is a star in the making

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 11:49pm On Jul 28, 2019
darkelf:

Let us set high standards for the SE

I am getting sick and tired of looking to lower tier leagues to fill in positions

Semilogo was very average in AFCON. Let us not populate the team with average players

What is semilogo?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 11:51pm On Jul 28, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Nobody wan carry last grin I like this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:59pm On Jul 28, 2019
Kelechi Iheanacho has said his confidence has returned on the back of his goals for Leicester City in pre-season.

Lack of game time and goals in the 2018/2019 season with Leicester City led to his exclusion from the Super Eagles squad to AFCON 2019 in Egypt.

On Saturday, he netted two goals in a 2-2 draw with Rotherham United and he has now scored three goals in two games.

He opened the scoring in the 11th minute to give Leicester City 1-0 lead.

He completed his brace in the 72nd minute to give his team 2-1 lead, but his compatriot Michael Ihiekwe denied Iheanacho and his team victory with equalizer to end the game 2-2.

He said: “I am delighted, I am happy getting two goals and hopefully I can take that into the season.

“I think it’s important for my confidence. It has been a long time coming, but I am happy again. I think I can take it fully into the season.”

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 12:24am On Jul 29, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Thank you for indicating the time of the goal some people would have made us waste data
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 12:27am On Jul 29, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Portugal is just producing quality talents at a large rate. Rafael Leao plays a lot like Jo of Brazil who played for Cska Moscow, Manchester City, Everton and Galasataray.

Wish Osimhen the best.

Jo of Brazil ,not that a better player ,average at best

Rafael leo ,not bad ,but not better than osimhen in my opinion

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 12:30am On Jul 29, 2019
Gentlemen if you want to bring a video of a Nigerian player scoring please indicate the minute in order not to waste people's data
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 12:58am On Jul 29, 2019
Earthquake2:

What is semilogo?

Sorry, I meant to say Jamilu Collins
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:15am On Jul 29, 2019
andrew444:

Jo of Brazil ,not that a better player ,average at best

Rafael leo ,not bad ,but not better than osimhen in my opinion

Jo was no where average. Jo's problem was his lifestyle which cut his reign short.

When he was at CSKA Moscow before joining City, he up there amongst the best in Russia, if not the best. I think he scored over 30 goals in 50 appearances as a young star. He just got carried away with his big salary at City at stopped working hard.

Some of Jo's goals at Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvFcuaFCzrk

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:54am On Jul 29, 2019
Isokay

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:55am On Jul 29, 2019
Another young shall grow

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Triniti(m): 5:12am On Jul 29, 2019
ChrisKels:
When men were men, where were u?
Mali 2002 Afcon squad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:35am On Jul 29, 2019
jihday:
Isokay

I think Rohr is contemplating leaving us. His comments if I stay makes me think that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:39am On Jul 29, 2019
Earthquake2:
Osimhen is set to replace Lille frontman Rafael Leao
Campos has a very good eye for talent. If he thinks Osimhen is good enough - then I'm convinced.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:39am On Jul 29, 2019
Taliban:

I think Rohr is contemplating leaving us. His comments if I stay makes me think that.
He means as long as he's around. The guy speaks English in a weird way...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:40am On Jul 29, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Wish Osimhen the best.
He reminds me a bit of Welbeck.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:52am On Jul 29, 2019
tbaba1234:
I have been saying this for years here. I have even been tagged a local league player hater. This article from Colin Udoh is brilliant.

The next Mikel or Ighalo isn't going to come from Nigeria's league

While Cup Final weekend is upon Nigeria, as Kano Pillars go up against Niger Tornadoes to determine who wins the 2019 Aiteo Cup on Sunday, the talk is still on the Super Eagles' Afcon campaign.

Conversation in Nigeria remains centred on the future of coach Gernot Rohr as the team's failure to reach the continental final continues to enrage, but little has been said about the team itself. Specifically, the loss of key personnel.

And therein lies the crux of the matter. The Aiteo final, and the domestic season as a whole, has done little to showcase new talent, so where will Rohr, or the next coach, find players to replace the likes of John Obi Mikel and Odion Ighalo?

The combined retirements of captain Mikel and forward Ighalo have left two huge voids in the team. John Ogu is bound to follow suit soon, and it is possible that, being on the other side of 30, Leon Balogun is not far off. Surely there must be some concern about finding replacements?

Fans and media never seem to let up with telling Super Eagles coaches to pick players from the domestic league, with goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa the only regular home-based player in the side. But the fact remains that the NPFL has no real talent of international quality, and there is a huge body of evidence to support this.

Two wins in the CAF Champions League (both by Enyimba in 2003 and 2004) are a far cry from other top African nations. The CAF Confederation Cup (including its previous two-competition iterations) offer a slightly better picture, but the wins there came at a time when Nigerian domestic football was on a high and players from local clubs represented the country.

In recent years, performances at continental club competitions have been woeful. Lobi Stars, Nigeria's CAF Champions League representatives last season, travelled to South Africa and were soundly beaten by Mamelodi Sundowns.

It was not just about the result, but the disjointed and predictable play of the Nigerian team that left heads and fists shaking.

Then, CAF's African Nations Championship (CHAN), which offers a barometer of the strength of national teams sans Europe-based players, provides a clear-eyed metric. It is not one that flatters Nigeria.

The Super Eagles B-side failed to qualify for the first two tournaments, and then at the most recent final in 2018, were thrashed 4-0 by Morocco.

They also shipped four goals against rivals Ghana in the regional WAFU Cup of Nations final in 2017, and will hope to do much better this September at the event in Senegal.

Any manner of spin may be put on these results and performances, but the bottom line is that the players are simply not good enough until they move to Europe and have all their accumulated bad habits trained out of them.

On Sunday, Pillars and Tornadoes will square up in the aforementioned Aiteo Cup final. There will be further examples of this lack of formal football education, guaranteed. Anyone even suggesting the national team coach should be there, for anything other than ceremonial reasons, probably needs to rethink some life choices.

At the moment, what the Super Eagles need are two goalkeepers, one right back, one additional centreback and at least two midfielders. None of those who will be on show on Sunday can fill those gaps.

Prime Mikel on the ball was a wonderful sight to behold. Difficult, one might even say impossible, to shake off the ball and could ping passes with the precision of a German-engineered machine. No player in the domestic league comes close. Ighalo did not have the best first touch in the world, but as a cold-blooded goalscoring forward, his numbers speak for him.

The late Stephen Keshi spent over six months in camp with domestic players and ended up taking just six to the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations, so it isn't for lack of effort on the coaches' parts. Of that number, only two - Godfrey Oboabona and Sunday Mba - played significant minutes. A mere six years later, none are currently anywhere near the Super Eagles team sheet.

Rohr - if he stays - or his replacement, are better served scouting for players already in Europe to fill those gaps. At least for now.

But suggesting that Rohr, or whomever the coach may be in the coming months, picks from the teams involved in the Final is a line few are brave, or stupid, enough to venture across.

https://africa.espn.com/football/club/nigeria/657/blog/post/3906752/the-next-mikel-or-ighalo-isnt-going-to-come-from-nigerias-league
Colin Udoh isn't saying anything new. This is obvious to anyone who is an ardent follower of Nigerian football.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:48am On Jul 29, 2019
TheGoodJoe:
"The Super Eagles Thread: The Dawn Of A New Era"

This should be the title of the thread. No need adding tourneys. Thus the name stays for a longer period. We are in the dawn of a new era.

Good but some will still argue the New era has not dawned yet. TheSuperNerd how far?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 8:58am On Jul 29, 2019
edi287:

Colin Udoh isn't saying anything new. This is obvious to anyone who is an ardent follower of Nigerian football.

Oga not everyone is an ardent follower of Nigerian football, so what is saying is new to a whole lot of us because many ignorant Nigerians believe that we can gather 11 world beaters straight from our league.

Which in reality its a fantasy.

What Collins has done is to bring to the fore(and by extension to the world) in one concise piece, a summary of our inherent football problems and solutions.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:26am On Jul 29, 2019
realpoacher:

Oga not everyone is an ardent follower of Nigerian football, so what is saying is new to a whole lot of us because many ignorant Nigerians believe that we can gather 11 world beaters straight from our league.

Which in reality its a fantasy.

What Collins has done is to bring to the fore(and by extension to the world) in one concise piece, a summary of our inherent football problems and solutions.
sadly, such a piece will not reach the people it is meant for, it will remain on this thread, rather than be a Front Page topic

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:56am On Jul 29, 2019
safarigirl:
sadly, such a piece will not reach the people it is meant for, it will remain on this thread, rather than be a Front Page topic

When the story is not about how Tiwa Savage Kissed Wizkid at Eko Hotel.

Seriously, Seun needs to review his moderators list.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:00am On Jul 29, 2019
Icon4s:

When the story is not about how Tiwa Savage Kissed Wizkid at Eko Hotel.

Seriously, Seun needs to review his moderators list.
you tell no lies
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by peterd53(m): 10:27am On Jul 29, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
9 Most Expensive transfers in history involving Nigerian Players

1. Kelechi Iheanacho £25m
2. Ademola Lookman £22.5m
3. Odion Ighalo £20m
4. Ahmed Musa £17m
5. John Obi Mikel £16m
6. Wilfred Ndidi £15m
7. Isaac Success £12.5m
8. Yakubu Aiyegbeni £11.25m
9. Obafemi Martins £10.1m

Who will be Nigeria's first £50million+ player? wink

Mikel £16m as at 2006.........it would have been close to £60m if seh na 2019

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LZAA: 10:30am On Jul 29, 2019
edi287:

Sorry but i disagree with collins udoh
It's not about the players but the coaches
We just don't have excellent coaches or the structure to produce them(please dont call N.I.S)
Ajax thanks to the cryuff plan implemented after the defeat to madrid in 2010 have become relevant in europe again
Rohr is not the coach to take nigeria forward
QED

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 10:35am On Jul 29, 2019
Taliban:

Abeg he should make up his mind fast so that we will know where we stand. All this "If" is getting me pissed off

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6726) (6727) (6728) (6729) (6730) (6731) (6732) ... (16157) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, Philosopher1979, Ikanium(m), shawwal1(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.