Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,217 members, 7,860,375 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:06 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10003) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11924822 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10000) (10001) (10002) (10003) (10004) (10005) (10006) ... (16332) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CornOak(m): 9:22pm On Nov 13, 2020
10cedes:
guys there is no need crying over spilled milk. we hope they come out stronger in the next game.

As odd as it might seem, that useless pitch contributed to his injury.

Grass was too high, stark dry, and not uneven. Why took these guys there when we have better pitches?

Well, I hope the injury is not severe and I also wish him quick recovery. sad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JayromWrites: 9:23pm On Nov 13, 2020
Danielnino00:

Siasia and Oliseh were sacked when they weren't performing, weren't they? why is Rohr still here??
Because He is performing in the here and now

Top of the group in The Qualifiers
Rohr dey Bleep up, but make we no compare am with Sia1 and Oliseh

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:23pm On Nov 13, 2020
kellycute:
rohr need to go. I'm tire of his game plan. The list of invited players is nothing to write home about. He will pack defenders on the list and sacrifice the midfield. He dey forbid to invite he dey forbid to invite 6 midfielders? I Don give up abeg.
I honestly feel ashamed of myself for not seeing him for the fraud he is earlier. There's no way anyone can say this was luck on the part of Leoneans or an honest mistake on the part of Fraudhr.

My night just spoil
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 9:23pm On Nov 13, 2020
AndSunGorilla:

Oga make sure say you fulfill your promise o. No watch that game o.
Unless say NTA, supersport or ait agree to show the match, which I know they won't. But to stream the match again? Hell no, I won't try that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 9:26pm On Nov 13, 2020
Danielnino00:

Siasia and Oliseh were sacked when they weren't performing, weren't they?
why is Rohr still here??
the manner of fvckery, siasia and olise exhibited demanded that they should be sacked even during the match. No compare those two disasters with Rohr. Rohr is bad but still better than them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:28pm On Nov 13, 2020
Subzero047:
Aribo always struggles in uneven pitch
Why the hell did Rohr OK that pitch? What happened to the Uyo one?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:30pm On Nov 13, 2020
kellycute:
he need to fly back to Napoli tomorrow sharp sharp for better treatment.

Yeah he surely will be on his way back ASAP. I think he will be fine. He is a strong boy. I wouldn't rule out him playing with a cast really soon but on the other hand the only example we have of this injury is Sunday Faleye and he was out for a while
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:30pm On Nov 13, 2020
politics and money grin

but it was in same pitch we led 4-0 at some point
MetalJigsaw:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:31pm On Nov 13, 2020
grin

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:31pm On Nov 13, 2020
temi1290:
It's very painful Nigeria doesn't have a standard pitch, very painful.*wipes tears*.
Funny enough this one is a new one lol

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:32pm On Nov 13, 2020
MetalJigsaw:

The Uyo one was poor the last time we played on it

Nigeria has problems maintaining pitches

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:33pm On Nov 13, 2020
Subzero047:
grin

Afobear would have used this meme if he was around grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 9:33pm On Nov 13, 2020
The retirement of Victor Moses, Mikel Obi & Odion Ighalo has really exposed Gernot Rohr's tactical ineptitude the more in the Super Eagles.

If in Europe or North Africa, he would have been fired long time ago but this is Nigeria, all is well.

Have observed that Zaidu Sanusi is always exposing the backline with his constant positional indiscipline.

Maduka Okoye & Sebatien Osigwe are long far from Super Eagles standard. That's just the truth.

Akpoguma is far from being our first choice right back. Awaziem performs better.

Rohr's style has always been to concede possession to the opponent, and hit the opponent on the counter through the wings. That's all. That's why they hardly string good passes together & the midfield mostly become part of the defence or non-existent in most matches.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 9:37pm On Nov 13, 2020
according to oma akatugba his source in the SE said Osimhen suffered a painful shoulder dislocation but not as bad as feared

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:39pm On Nov 13, 2020
I had to first recover from the shock before I could calm myself to compose any analysis.

Infact, this is one of greatest shockers in Nigerian football. Never have we led by 3 or 4 goals and ended up not winning that game. Worst still a home game.

First of all, I know my first point might not be a popular opinion, but I think moving matches to unfamiliar Venues has a way of affecting the performances of teams. Nigeria should have a fortress, a slaughter ground like we had in the National Stadium in Surulere back then. The NFF should please do well enough to prepare the National Stadium in Abuja or Lagos for us to be playing all our home games so the boys can very much get used to playing there. National Teams typically play in their Capital.

Now to the game Proper:
The team started well. A Fairy tale first 35mins or so minutes. In my entire history of watching football for close to 40years, never has the Super Eagles led any team by 4:0 within 30mins.
Ok Sierra Leone pulled one back before half time and that was all they needed to have some believe.

At the point in the second half when it became 4:2, what the coach needed was to protect what he had. The problem in this team started with a lean midfield in the entire squad. See the number of Midfielders. He just packed up the team with defenders.
Etebor did creditably well but he is not a natural DM and so he didn't shield the back line well enough.
Ahmed Musa, even though didn't do much going forward, added steel to that middle. Iheanacho, his replacement, move more into forward positions and we became lean in the midfield at a time when we were supposed to go compact.

Akpoguma playing RB was another big error in this game. Even the least person here saw that coming. As a RB he offered absolutely nothing going forward, making Chukwueze a lone ranger in that part of the pitch.

Our centre backs need to be taken to Benin Ring road and flogged mercilessly.

Again, Rohr's tactical weakness has been exposed. He has not always been good with making substitutions. His game management has always be mediocre.

I have made this call before, I will make it again: We need a tactician in that Team.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 1realBobby(m): 9:40pm On Nov 13, 2020
all these people mentioning victor moses and ighalo ... let's be truthful for once... was the attack our problem today with or without these guys, these goals would still be conceded..

I agree we need solutions right now, but mentioning ighalo is way off it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 9:41pm On Nov 13, 2020
BascoVanVeli:

Yeah he surely will be on his way back ASAP. I think he will be fine. He is a strong boy. I wouldn't rule out him playing with a cast really soon but on the other hand the only example we have of this injury is Sunday Faleye and he was out for a while
I don't like this at all. How long do you think it will be out in term of month?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 9:43pm On Nov 13, 2020
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:46pm On Nov 13, 2020
zoboizee:
The retirement of Victor Moses, Mikel Obi & Odion Ighalo has really exposed Gernot Rohr's tactical ineptitude the more in the Super Eagles.

If in Europe or North Africa, he would have been fired long time ago but this is Nigeria, all is well.

Have observed that Zaidu Sanusi is always exposing the backline with his constant positional indiscipline.

Maduka Okoye & Sebatien Osigwe are long far from Super Eagles standard. That's just the truth.

Akpoguma is far from being our first choice right back. Awaziem performs better.

Rohr's style has always been to conceed possession to the opponent, and hit the opponent on the counter through the wings. That's all. That's why they hardly string good passes together & the midfield mostly become part of the defence or non-existent in most matches.

D last statement is not a style..cos if its a style ,we would hardly concede..let alone concede cheap goals.
So rohr got no style...

All what u c on d pitch of play is mere individual brilliance and to some extent luck when it comes to d team scoring goals

When u c an average team dt is well schooled tactically. ..it will b obvious,u will c dier pattern of play...an example is d Greece team dt won 2004 euro,anoda example is d Ghanaian team 2010 dt almost got to d semi's.. We could all c deir style of play..a robust,agile playing team cool

So inconclusion..rohr no get any impactful style on d way d team plays cool

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:47pm On Nov 13, 2020
Lest I forget,
Paul Onuachu no be striker at all.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:47pm On Nov 13, 2020
nelszx:

Onuachu was dribbling himself on the left side
grin Dem for kuku use the guy as a lamp stand. ?grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 9:48pm On Nov 13, 2020
Is it just me or that Rohr doesn't rate our home grown talents. As soon as he finds a foreign born he dumps out home bred players. He only play the ones that he has no other choice than to play. Rohr thinks Nigerian grown talents are inferior. I refuse to accept that Aribo is better than Tijani , Agu or Nwakali! He played Ajayi in a makeshift role with the presence of Agu and Tijani who are natural born midfielders. Under his guide our midfield has become a joke. Sack the racist whitey, already!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:51pm On Nov 13, 2020
Where d hell is chriskels grin grin we need his comment right now grin grin..Thesupernerd too undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chuks404: 9:52pm On Nov 13, 2020
grin grin
mostob:
grin Dem for kuku use the guy as a lamp stand. ?grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 9:52pm On Nov 13, 2020
1realBobby:
all these people mentioning victor moses and ighalo ... let's be truthful for once... was the attack our problem today with or without these guys, these goals would still be conceded..

No mind them . All those Ighalo fan boys. As if the guy was any good. If anything, the present crop of players we have now score a lot of goals. Scoring goals is not the problem as they've shown in most of their games.
The problem is the incessant goals we conceed in every match . The problem is the defence and goalkeeping department. Even though we all knew about it, but it got worse when Balogun stopped getting game time for the eagles because he's the only real defensive leader we have at the back. Even Ekong best game as a super eagle is with Balogun.

Lastly, Rohr shitty tactics also has a way of bringing out the worst in his players, when a good coach should always know his players and deploy tactics that will bring out their best while limiting their weaknesses

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 9:52pm On Nov 13, 2020
Icon4s:
I had to first recover from the shock before I could calm myself to compose any analysis.

Infact, this is one of greatest shockers in Nigerian football. Never have we led by 3 or 4 goals and ended up not winning that game. Worst still a home game.

First of all, I know my first point might not be a popular opinion, but I think moving matches to unfamiliar Venues has a way of affecting the performances of teams. Nigeria should have a fortress, a slaughter ground like we had in the National Stadium in Surulere back then. The NFF should please do well enough to prepare the National Stadium in Abuja or Lagos for us to be playing all our home games so the boys can very much get used to playing there. National Teams typically play in their Capital.

Now to the game Proper:
The team started well. A Fairy tale first 35mins or so minutes. In my entire history of watching football for close to 40years, never has the Super Eagles led any team by 4:0 within 30mins.
Ok Sierra Leone pulled one back before half time and that was all they needed to have some believe.

At the point in the second half when it became 4:2, what the coach needed was to protect what he had. The problem in this team started with a lean midfield in the entire squad. See the number of Midfielders. He just packed up the team with defenders.
Etebor did creditably well but he is not a natural DM and so he didn't shield the back line well enough.
Ahmed Musa, even though didn't do much going forward, added steel to that middle. Iheanacho, his replacement, move more into forward positions and we became lean in the midfield at a time when we were supposed to go compact.

Akpoguma playing RB was another big error in this game. Even the least person here saw that coming. As a RB he offered absolutely nothing going forward, making Chukwueze a lone ranger in that part of the pitch.

Again, Rohr's tactical weakness has been exposed. He has not always been good with making substitutions. His game management has always be mediocre.

I have made this call before, I will make it again: We need a tactician in that Team.

excellent write up!. Nff should stick to uyo stadium only. At this stage, we need onazi back to the team because we only have ndidi as dm. Aribo is cm, etebo is cm, even azeez is cm too. Rohr should stop this nonsense of playing Kevin at rb. If he can not play him in central defensive position, he should drop him to the bench and allows ebuehi/aina to play rb. We have a clueless coach and I just pray he should use his church-mind and resign tomorrow, na beg we dey beg am.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 9:56pm On Nov 13, 2020
Icon4s:
Lest I forget,
Paul Onuachu no be striker at all.
make onuachu go sit down for Bush. Na club football fit am.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 9:57pm On Nov 13, 2020
IDENNAA:
Is it just me or that Rohr doesn't rate our home grown talents. As soon as he finds a foreign born he dumps out home bred players. He only play the ones that he has no other choice than to play. Rohr thinks Nigerian grown talents are inferior. I refuse to accept that Aribo is better than Tijani , Agu or Nwakali! He played Ajayi in a makeshift role with the presence of Agu and Tijani who are natural born midfielders. Under his guide our midfield has become a joke. Sack the racist whitey, already!
bro abeg stop. Aribo is class. Nor dey Mention aribo and tijani for the same sentence cos you dey insult aribo abeg. Nor even mention Agu and Nwakali for the same sentence with aribo cos you dey fall aribo hand big time. He nor be their mate!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovich: 9:59pm On Nov 13, 2020
1realBobby:

We might as well recall Danny Shittu and call up Adebayo Akinfenwa
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 10:00pm On Nov 13, 2020
maidaboi:
Instead of me to be angry here am I laughing

Charly , the super chickens match don fry your brain ? What kind English e be this ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovich: 10:00pm On Nov 13, 2020
IDENNAA:
Aribo is better than those players you mentioned
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:01pm On Nov 13, 2020
Icon4s:

Now to the game Proper:

I totally agree with the bolded.. The NFF have been moving the team around for too long.. More like selling matchday venues..

(1) (2) (3) ... (10000) (10001) (10002) (10003) (10004) (10005) (10006) ... (16332) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: EEGA, daveP(m), MetalJigsaw(m), lovewins, TheSuperNerd(m), Mujtahida and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.