Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,268 members, 7,829,562 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10055) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11751633 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10052) (10053) (10054) (10055) (10056) (10057) (10058) ... (16182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:28am On Nov 20, 2020
At least five English Premier League clubs have been offered the chance to sign Super Eagles captain Ahmed Musa, according to reports.

Team Talk claims Crystal Palace, Newcastle United, West Ham United, Burnley and Sheffield United have been approached by Musa's agent but it remains to be seen if an offer is made.

The Golden Boot Soccer Academy product was on the books of Leicester City for two years after which he transferred to Al-Nassr after putting himself in the shop window at the 2018 World Cup.

He is currently a free agent after mutually terminating his contract with the Saudi Pro League club last month.

Though Musa is on the radar of clubs in Spain, Russia, Italy and Turkey, he would prefer a move to the Premier League.

Meanwhile, according to Serbian media Srpski Telegraf, it is claimed that Serbian powerhouse Red Star Belgrade are in advanced talks to sign the former Kano Pillars star in the January transfer window.

The 1991 European champions are targeting Musa amid uncertainty over the future of Ghana striker Richmond Boakye.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 9:31am On Nov 20, 2020
barackodam:

Sey wetin happen? What kind of clause is that? Does that make sense?

And drawing twice to the Leoneans is a poor run of results?

Or I don't know the meaning of run?

We're winless in our last four games. Is that not a poor run of results??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 9:37am On Nov 20, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

Just glanced through the list.

I take the 2000 team over 2008. Coupled with the talents that were dropped. That was a creamer set.
Huh, the 2016 who I think are average is much better than the fraudsters from 2000
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:38am On Nov 20, 2020
jihday:
Huh, the 2016 who I think are average is much better than the fraudsters from 2000

Nah!!! wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 9:38am On Nov 20, 2020
quickberry:

They were better than the 2008 squad,if not for Zamorano and his goons...lol grin
That 2000 team was poor, managed to qualify from the group before chile thrashed them by 4-1
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:41am On Nov 20, 2020
jihday:
That 2000 team was poor, managed to qualify from the group before chile thrashed them by 4-1

That Honduras team was fire. Most of them were in Nigeria 1999 and were high in understanding. David Suazo was a menace also. Later became a too player in the la Liga.

The Italains were the European U20 champions in 1999 and a strong unit. With the brilliant Andreas Pirlo coordinating the team.

Surviving that group showed the quality of the team.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 9:59am On Nov 20, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

That Honduras team was fire. Most of them were in Nigeria 1999 and were high in understanding. David Suazo was a menace also. Later became a too player in the la Liga.

The Italains were the European U20 champions in 1999 and a strong unit. With the brilliant Andreas Pirlo coordinating the team.

Surviving that group showed the quality of the team.
I disagree, that Honduras team wasn't good enough. We drew Italy in a match they saw as dead rubber
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 10:23am On Nov 20, 2020
olu98:

especially those north African countries. north african fans are crazy about football and will do anything to win their home game. most black african team fear playing away to this north africans.
we all know what this north african teams also do when they play away, the tactics is always park the bus and waste time as much as possible.
you see that world cup. We're reaching there. Nigeria's 2021 team will be more composed as our players would have developed and bonded together by then. Our team is already sitting up and May is still a long time from now. Remember that we beat the same Algeria last time. Our world cup qualifiers record has been consistent. I don't think it will change. For me, the structure makes it easier. You just need to overcome one tough team instead of being in a group of death.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:29am On Nov 20, 2020
jihday:
I disagree, that Honduras team wasn't good enough. We drew Italy in a match they saw as dead rubber

They were good. As I said most were in Nigeria 1999 and even John Fashanu used to praise them and tipped Suazo for success.

Go and look at Julio Leon's goal and see his technique to score that goal. It will give you a hint of their quality.

In Nigeria 1999, Brazil had to bring their A game against them to qualify.

I think that Honduras team was even together since their U17.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:42am On Nov 20, 2020
"It was a good game," he told the media. "It was not the result we expected considering the very horrible turf and the kind of pitches our players play on.
"You don't just wake up and say you want to fire a coach, you don't just do that. Even though I have my own reservations about the man."
Part of the reason for this controlled reaction could be the severance pay that Rohr -- who only signed a contract extension in May -- would be entitled to if he was fired before he failed to meet targets set for him.
These targets, sources tell ESPN, include matching or bettering Nigeria's performance at the Afcon in 2019 and World Cup in 2018.
This means he would need to fail to reach the semifinals of the tournament in Cameroon for the NFF to fire him without incurring stiff financial penalties. Failure to qualify for the Afcon would meet the baseline, but there is no danger of that, with Nigeria just two points away from going to Cameroon.
Pinnick's next words, not exactly a ringing endorsement of the coach, seemed to reflect that reality.
"It's not that we are excited, but we believe it can be better and these are very critical times for us to start wanting to change coaches unless there are some issues of insubordination attributed to the coach," he added.
Insubordination could be a back door to achieve the same objective and a source who was in Sierra Leone told ESPN that there had been issues between the coach and certain ranking officials of the federation in Freetown.
Pinnick said the NFF's Technical Committee was investigating: "We still need to carry out further investigations. If it is established that there was any gross insubordination, then we can do what we need to do to, Nigerians don't need to tell us.
"If we find out that the violation was very gross, and is not acceptable then that is his fate. But if it's not gross, then we will look at it and take our next action, but I can tell you sacking of the coach at the moment is out of it."
None of this will be very reassuring for Rohr.
There are four months until the next round of international matches -- plenty of time to shift Rohr and hire a replacement. Sources tell ESPN that former international Emmanuel Amunike -- who was highly touted at the height of Rohr's contract negotiation hold-up -- could be in line as a replacement.
Argentinian Hector Cuper is also believed to be in consideration, according to other sources.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 20, 2020
The only reason why rohr could be sack is
1. If we didn't qualify for AFCON
2. if we fail to get to the semi final of the next afcon
3. If rohr is found guilty of insubordination charged against him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:53am On Nov 20, 2020
If investigated by technical committee and found guilty then his replacement will be
1. Amunike
2. Cuper
3 Ndubuisi
4. Redknapp

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:17am On Nov 20, 2020
yep most of them were already in the national team. the 2000 set that goodjoe mentioned had a few good players but i don't them in high esteem as he does

Icon4s:

That was a killer Olympic squad. I still don't understand what when wrong in that tournament.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 11:21am On Nov 20, 2020
smartsmith0907:
The only reason why rohr could be sack is
1. If we didn't qualify for AFCON
2. if we fail to get to the semi final of the next afcon
3. If rohr is found guilty of insubordination charged against him
mtcheeeew. All these ones na story, they should just sack him already.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mkrest(m): 11:26am On Nov 20, 2020
smartsmith0907:
If investigated by technical committee and found guilty then his replacement will be
1. Amunike
2. Cuper
3 Ndubuisi
4. Redknapp

Hector Cuper has once stated his desire to coach the SE, I would like to see that happen
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 11:26am On Nov 20, 2020
Any one can shout blood, Rohr is going NOWHERE!
NOBODY has been able to point at his deficiencies yet they scream murder!
Rohr has surpassed many Nigerian coaches in many ways.
Drawing with Leone is not a valid reason for all the buzz

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bennie1980(m): 11:27am On Nov 20, 2020
Super Eagles should be given to Mike Emenalo and Emmanuel Amunike

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dammywapes(m): 11:30am On Nov 20, 2020
smartsmith0907:
1. Amunike
2. Cuper
3 Ndubuisi
4. Redknapp
former tottham manager ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:34am On Nov 20, 2020
JohnBullMySon:
you see that world cup. We're reaching there. Nigeria's 2021 team will be more composed as our players would have developed and bonded together by then. Our team is already sitting up and May is still a long time from now. Remember that we beat the same Algeria last time. Our world cup qualifiers record has been consistent. I don't think it will change. For me, the structure makes it easier. You just need to overcome one tough team instead of being in a group of death.

You keep talking about how good our team is.. But you are ignoring the obvious issue which is the level of coaching.. It doesn't matter how many star players we get, if the level of coaching doesn't improve, we aren't getting anywhere..

Good thing you mentioned Algeria.. The Algeria team we beat in 2016 was star studded if not more star studded than the current one, but they were poorly coached.. Look at them now.. Can we still beat them again at this time??

We can get Lookman, Adarabioyo maybe even Saka,but with a coach like Rohr that doesn't know how to utilise them, we are going nowhere...that's the truth...

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 1realBobby(m): 11:42am On Nov 20, 2020
Icon4s:
NAIRALAND NIGERIAN FOOTBALL FANS (NNFF) AWARDS

NOMINATION OF AWARDS COMMITTEE MEMBERS

The Super Eagles have played all their matches for 2020, and to crown up all our analyses on Nigerian Players for the entire year, it is time for us to select players who have made more Impact than the others in various categories.

And, like it has always been, we need to nominate Monikers who will come up with the list of players in the various categories. Then, the entire house will do the voting.

NOTE: Being the Coordinator I am already part of the committee. No need to nominate Icon4s, so we need 6 more people who will join me.

All you need do is mention the Moniker you want to see in the awards Committee and CC: Icon4s and Bascovanveli. The Top 6 nominated monikers will join me in the Committee.

NOMINATION CLOSES 22ND NOVEMBER, 2020 @ 6PM (NIGERIAN TIME)

Let me open the floor:

I nominate Bascovanveli
Cc: Icon4s, Bascovanveli.

I nominate Safarigirl

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 11:43am On Nov 20, 2020
bennie1980:
Super Eagles should be given to Mike Emenalo and Emmanuel Amunike

Emenalo doesn't merit the position in anyway
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:43am On Nov 20, 2020
Danielnino00:

You keep talking about how good our team is.. But you are ignoring the obvious issue which is the level of coaching.. It doesn't matter how many star players we get, if the level of coaching doesn't improve, we aren't getting anywhere..

Good thing you mentioned Algeria.. The Algeria team we beat in 2016 was star studded if not more star studded than the current one, but they were poorly coached.. Look at them now.. Can we still beat them again at this time??

We can get Lookman, Adarabioyo maybe even Saka,but with a coach like Rohr that doesn't know how to utilise them, we are going nowhere...that's the truth...

Agreed
If left for me I will only make adjustment in rohr's contract and make the sport director and technical adviser of the super eagles just like the role of cech in Chelsea ....while i find a real head coach for the SE
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:44am On Nov 20, 2020
Edopesin:

Emenalo doesn't merit the position in anyway

Emenalo is a better technical adviser and sport director than rohr.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 11:55am On Nov 20, 2020
oloriooko:
Any one can shout blood, Rohr is going NOWHERE!
NOBODY has been able to point at his deficiencies yet they scream murder!
Rohr has surpassed many Nigerian coaches in many ways
Drawing with Leone is not a valid reason for all the buzz
I take God beg you, explain the bolded.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 11:59am On Nov 20, 2020
smartsmith0907:

Emenalo is a better technical adviser and sport director than rohr.

Is that what we are going to employ him for? Coaching the National team is more than being a good sport director
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by quickberry(m): 12:03pm On Nov 20, 2020
jihday:

@ 2005 U-20 world cup, we managed to qualify from our group with four points, but we were still able to make it to the final. The same thing happened at 2013 nations cup, so that doesn't mean the team is poor, the major problem with that team(2000) was goalkeeper(Etafia).
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:15pm On Nov 20, 2020
Edopesin:

Is that what we are going to employ him for? Coaching the National team is more than being a good sport director

Rohr is a technical adviser same with emenalo...the truth is Nigeria no get coach at all ....our last coach was salisu yusuf...so the truth of the matter now is the appointment of a new head coach who will be working together with the technical adviser....there is huge discrepancies between the role of a technical adviser/ sport director and head coach.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 12:26pm On Nov 20, 2020
smartsmith0907:

Rohr is a technical adviser same with emenalo...the truth is Nigeria no get coach at all ....our last coach was salisu yusuf...so the truth of the matter now is the appointment of a new head coach who will be working together with the technical adviser....there is huge discrepancies between the role of a technical adviser/ sport director and head coach.

Rohr as a tecnical advisor has coached teams and has better experience than emenalo both in national and club level, we don't know if emanalo as head coach will come good for us but it's gamble the NFF will not take that's for sure.

We need a Coach and an experienced one
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:09pm On Nov 20, 2020
JohnBullMySon:
After 4 years na next year them go bond? What are you saying

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Toylove: 1:09pm On Nov 20, 2020
Icon4s:
NAIRALAND NIGERIAN FOOTBALL FANS (NNFF) AWARDS

NOMINATION OF AWARDS COMMITTEE MEMBERS

The Super Eagles have played all their matches for 2020, and to crown up all our analyses on Nigerian Players for the entire year, it is time for us to select players who have made more Impact than the others in various categories.

And, like it has always been, we need to nominate Monikers who will come up with the list of players in the various categories. Then, the entire house will do the voting.

NOTE: Being the Coordinator I am already part of the committee. No need to nominate Icon4s, so we need 6 more people who will join me.

All you need do is mention the Moniker you want to see in the awards Committee and CC: Icon4s and Bascovanveli. The Top 6 nominated monikers will join me in the Committee.

NOMINATION CLOSES 22ND NOVEMBER, 2020 @ 6PM (NIGERIAN TIME)

Let me open the floor:

I nominate Bascovanveli

i nominate andrewbaba44 wey secretly like chelsea tongue
cc: Icon4s, Basconveli
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:12pm On Nov 20, 2020
mkrest:

Hector Cuper has once stated his desire to coach the SE, I would like to see that happen
You wouldn't like to see him, his past few jobs have been rubbish. I'd prefer Amunike sef
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:19pm On Nov 20, 2020
smartsmith0907:

Huh! you once told us that Rohr is good, what changed?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10052) (10053) (10054) (10055) (10056) (10057) (10058) ... (16182) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: enlady(f), forgiveness, Sugarboyy(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.