Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,428 members, 7,815,966 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:25 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10095) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11652083 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10092) (10093) (10094) (10095) (10096) (10097) (10098) ... (16147) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:05am On Dec 03, 2020
You for soro soke wella nah

andrewbaba44:

My broda wertin i go do nah
Na to keep on saying the facts
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:12am On Dec 03, 2020
Joe Aribo is in contention for Rangers’ Europa League away clash against Belgian club Standard Liege on Thursday, Completesports.com reports.

The Nigeria international has missed Rangers last two games in all competitions due to illness.

Rangers manager Steven Gerrard said in his pre-match press conference on Wednesday that the midfielder could feature against the Belgian League outfit.

“Ryan Jack is a major doubt, he still has a good chance for the weekend, Aribo will hopefully be back with us, assuming he comes through today’s session,” Gerrard declared.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:02pm On Dec 03, 2020
Ademola Lookman completed a laudable turnaround on Tuesday when he was named in the Premier League Team of the Week—as selected by Alan Shearer—following his exploits for Fulham over the weekend.

Lookman was arguably the Cottagers’ outstanding player as they defeated Leicester City 2-1 away for only their second victory of the season, climbing out of the bottom three in the process.

In early November, the wideman was the Londoners’ pariah after spurning a late penalty against West Ham United to deny the newly promoted side the chance to take a valuable point away from home.

If missing a late penalty is—perhaps—forgivable, the nature of Lookman’s failure was not, as he appeared to hesitate, dithering, on his run up to the penalty, before sending an unconvincing half-hearted paneka into the hands of Lukasz Fabianski.

There are times and places to attempt a flamboyant panenka, and there are ways to execute the technique, this was neither the context nor the approach, and Lookman was left as the brunt of ridicule on social media.

It’s not easy to make Scott Parker, the mild-mannered, softly spoken Fulham manager, angry, but Lookman succeeded in doing just that, with the ex-England and Tottenham Hotspur midfielder taking aim at the Anglo-Nigerian youngster after the match.

“I'm disappointed and angry,” Parker told Match of the Day. “You can't take penalties like that and he knows that. He's a young player and he's learning.

“The boy has made a mistake. Ade is the first to understand that,” Parker added. “When you're young and you're learning you have to learn quick.

He is disappointed and rightly so,” he concluded. “This is part and parcel of football, of growing as players and as a team. We'll get around him now.”

To his credit, Lookman held his hands up after that miserable moment, taking to social media to accept the blame and responsibility for his poor decision-making, while vowing to bounce back stronger.

However, words would only carry the youngster so far, it was imperative that Lookman picked himself up off the floor—he was clearly affected by the miss—and responded on the pitch.

“Ademola is devastated, apologetic,” Fulham captain Tom Cairney told journalists, as per BBC Sport.

“He's a young man who has had a good start here and is a big player for us,” he continued. “We'll get around him and pick him up, he knows he could have got us a point.”

Lookman has responded in style, firmly banishing memories of that hideous penalty.

Against his former club Everton, he contributed an assist during a vibrant and eye-catching display, albeit in a 3-2 defeat, and looked undaunted by the previous failure hanging over him.

His dribbling caught the eye—only Ivan Cavaleiro and Alex Iwobi completed more take-ons—while Lookman’s three key passes highlighted his creative qualities.

He was magnificent, with his pace and incisive movement allowing the Cottagers to play on the counter knowing that they could launch forward with speed and precision and trouble the Foxes in behind.

The ex-RasenBallsport Leipzig man opened the scoring in the 30th minute—with credit going to Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa for the sensational assist—and was a threat throughout.

He took four shots—two of which were on target—registered one key pass, and was the second most effective dribbler on the pitch.

Suddenly, with a cutting edge—even though Aleksandar Mitrovic was again only fit enough for the bench—Fulham are looking like a side who can grind out results, who can score against some of the league’s better teams, and are increasingly competent across the board.

Zambo Anguissa contributes both defensively and offensively—it’s not too far to say that he’s among the best central midfielders in the league outside the top six—while Parker will be happy with the contributions of Tosin Adarabioyo, Ola Aina and Bobby De Cordova-Reed in his defensive unit.

If Lookman can maintain his recent form, then he too can play a big role in Fulham beating the drop and ensure that he’s no longer looked at as a player who frittered away his vast potential.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by temi1290: 12:44pm On Dec 03, 2020
charlesemeka85:
calvin bassey ughelumba snubs england u21, commits to nigeria

Wow, Zaidu,Bassey and Collins,omo see God ooo, even RB has Ebuehi,Ehizibue and Aina,we will soon get to a point where our players will have to be extra good to get call ups(French nt is a good example), wish we could lay our hands on Rosin too.Our midfielders needs to step up quickly,na them dey delay us.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 12:54pm On Dec 03, 2020
TFLASHOGEE:
Interview with azubuieke modric okechuku currently on brila FM grin

The guy dey roll out football knowledge grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:16pm On Dec 03, 2020
if you know you know wink

TFLASHOGEE:
Interview with azubuieke modric okechuku currently on brila FM grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 1:37pm On Dec 03, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

Zaidu Sanusi played very well. That is not what I am talking about. He defended well. I think he had a brilliant goal line interception of Sterling's shot which the commentator praised his reading of the place Sterling was to shoot to.

My problem was violent plays that were unnecessary.
If this was your comment before the one below I wouldn't have had any issue with your post. But coming to a Nigerian football thread to tell us only the below about the match made it look as if that was all he did the whole 90 minutes.

TheGoodJoe:

Zaidu Sanusi annoyed me with his repeated violent plays against Foden. He would have injured the Young Man for no reason.

I found that really displeasing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 2:10pm On Dec 03, 2020
https://www.sunnewsonline.com/dont-sack-me-yet-rohr-begs-nff/

Has Rhor finally believe he can win the world cup?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 2:27pm On Dec 03, 2020
mank1234:
https://www.sunnewsonline.com/dont-sack-me-yet-rohr-begs-nff/

Has Rhor finally believe he can win the world cup?

He only said dt to calm nerves...he now knows he's unpopular amongst d football lovers most especially with his "defeatism" mindset prior to a game dereby dampening d spirit of d boiz

Imaging a statement like,..our players don't av d mindset to defeat serria leaone @ home smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Alfryd: 2:56pm On Dec 03, 2020
PSV Striker, Madueke: I’m Open To Playing For Nigeria

PSV Nigerian striker Noni Madueke says he is not ruling out the possibility of representing Nigeria at senior international level. Madueke, 18, has made appearances for England at youth level, notably netting four in only six games for the U18s But he is also eligible for Nigeria through his parents. Nigeria have proved successful in prizing talent away from the Three Lions in the past with Joe Aribo and Alex Iwobi opting to play for the African nation.

And Madueke is open to swapping, he said: “I am only 18 so I have got to be open to everything,” he told SunSport.
“If I had a closed mindset I would not be where I am now so for sure I am open to both. “We just have to see in the future what is best.” Madueke gave kudos to legendary Manchester United and Netherlands striker Ruud Van Nistelrooy, current head coach of PSV U-19s, for helping to honed his finishing.
He said learning from Van Nistelrooy is already making a difference as he has four league goals and three assists from only three starts in ten Eredivisie appearances.
He also spearheaded a Europa League comeback with a goal and an assist in PSV’s 3-2 win against PAOK last week and is in line to feature at Granada today (Thursday). “Ruud helped me a lot last year, taking my game to the next level and now I am just trying to get better every day.
“I have always scored nice goals but I know I needed to score easier ones — being in the right place at the right time — striker-type finishes. “Ruud has been teaching me how to get into those positions more and, being a Manchester United fan, I know he is the master of that.” As well as working with Van Nistelrooy, PSV summer signing and 2014 World Cup-winning goalscorer Mario Gotze has also been having an impact on him.
Madueke added: “Mario is a top player and top players rub off on other good players. He has been great with me since signing. “Him being around, training with us and playing with us is definitely going to improve me.” Born in Barnet, north London, Madueke got picked up by Spurs age 12 and within three years was U16s captain and featuring for the U18s.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jargooflife912(m): 3:12pm On Dec 03, 2020
Is there anyone on here that is following this league it is very interesting and creative like the league name

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:29pm On Dec 03, 2020
kingphilip:

If this was your comment before the one below I wouldn't have had any issue with your post. But coming to a Nigerian football thread to tell us only the below about the match made it look as if that was all he did the whole 90 minutes.

What you are missing is that the previous comments from others were about the things Zaidu Sanusi did well in that game. So me commenting on that was not Paramount.

I had to talk about what I did not like and hope he stops.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:18pm On Dec 03, 2020
temi1290:

Wow, Zaidu,Bassey and Collins,omo see God ooo, even RB has Ebuehi,Ehizibue and Aina,we will soon get to a point where our players will have to be extra good to get call ups(French nt is a good example), wish we could lay our hands on Rosin too.Our midfielders needs to step up quickly,na them dey delay us.
...you forgot say na Rohr dey in charge.

We need a coach to bring the best in our boys.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 6:00pm On Dec 03, 2020
Indidi, Iheanacho and chukwueze all start Ejuke on the Bench in Europa league
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 6:01pm On Dec 03, 2020
maidaboi:
Indidi, Iheanacho and chukwueze all start Ejuke on the Bench in Europa league
Bench ke. They are all in starting eleven oga.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 6:07pm On Dec 03, 2020
DrKlever:
yes Ejuke is on the Bench
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 6:08pm On Dec 03, 2020
DrKlever:

He is right. Ejuke is on the bench for cska moscow while ndidi and iheanacho starts for leicester.
I just checked it online
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tolulopefinest(m): 6:15pm On Dec 03, 2020
NDIDI IS BACK. cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 6:15pm On Dec 03, 2020
maidaboi:
yes Ejuke is on the Bench
my bad. I read it wrongly. I thought you meant all of them starting from the bench.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 6:32pm On Dec 03, 2020
DrKlever:
my bad. I read it wrongly. I thought you meant all of them starting from the bench.
no problem SADIQ UMAR start for Almeria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by temi1290: 6:41pm On Dec 03, 2020
Kog45:
...you forgot say na Rohr dey in charge.

We need a coach to bring the best in our boys.

I use to be Rohr's fan but not anymore,did doesn't know what he's doing.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by hatakekakashi: 7:20pm On Dec 03, 2020
Mendy will bench ndidi undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by temi1290: 7:24pm On Dec 03, 2020
hatakekakashi:

Gaffe of the month, Last month
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 7:25pm On Dec 03, 2020
Link for Leicester game pls
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 7:35pm On Dec 03, 2020
hatakekakashi:
Nairaland and cruise o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by damagnificentusb(m): 7:42pm On Dec 03, 2020
Odunayaw:
Nairaland and cruise o

Its beats me when some CLOWNS sit in the comfort of their homes and predict doom for the most CONSISTENT nigerian player in recent time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Noahu: 8:36pm On Dec 03, 2020
Chukwueze with a goal for Villarreal grin

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by hatakekakashi: 8:36pm On Dec 03, 2020
Chukwueze with a goal

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by feelme2020: 9:04pm On Dec 03, 2020
hatakekakashi:
Chukwueze with a goal

He should reach double digits in goals and assists this season
Something like 10 goals and 11 assists will be nice

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10092) (10093) (10094) (10095) (10096) (10097) (10098) ... (16147) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Ikanium(m), mostob(m), jihday(m), freesinzu(m), TheGoodJoe(m), Philosopher1979, mkrest(m), Kog45(m), CaptainStephen(m), Impeccable5248(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.