Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,420 members, 7,846,758 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10249) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11840447 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10246) (10247) (10248) (10249) (10250) (10251) (10252) ... (16240) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 10:03am On Feb 18, 2021
smartsmith0907:

He will be invited if only chuks is not fully fit yet. He is coming for chuks not musa

Stop paying attention to owngoal they keep fabricating false news. Remember they were the ones to say that fifa has approved 8 players?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Alfryd: 10:04am On Feb 18, 2021
smartsmith0907:

He will be invited if only chuks is not fully fit yet. He is coming for chuks not musa

you mean MUSA we still retain his spot after been clubless
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Alfryd: 10:07am On Feb 18, 2021
12large1:

Stop paying attention to owngoal they keep fabricating false news. Remember they were the ones to say that fifa has approved 8 players?

It not from OWNGOAL

When list is out , your eye go clear
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 10:25am On Feb 18, 2021
Alfryd:

It not from OWNGOAL

When list is out , your eye go clear

So where did u get your information from
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Alfryd: 10:28am On Feb 18, 2021
Philosopher1979:

So where did u get your information from
from ROHR desk
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Arabiandude: 10:44am On Feb 18, 2021
12large1:

And ignore Iheanacho? Because some guys are scoring at Farmers league?? Keep drinking kool aid. Even nacho has more SE goals than our present king osigoal. Respect him
Who is Iheanacho?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:44am On Feb 18, 2021
smartsmith0907:

So meaning musa is sure of been invited despite his long inactivity from active fball?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 10:53am On Feb 18, 2021
Honestly, let's assume that we're not inviting British born Nigerian players are we saying that in the entire Nigeria, we cannot find creative midfielders like Okocha or Oruma? Why is it so difficult for us to produce creative midfielders, yet we have plethora of Strikers? Our football academy needs reconstructing i.e players must understand the main aim of their position. Defenders need to understand how to defend, Wingers and full backs must learn how to Cross while Passing and creativity needs to be installed in young midfielders to ensure that our Future wouldn't rely on begging "Foreign Rejects"
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 10:57am On Feb 18, 2021
Anytime i see Ndidi, osimehn and now zaidu excelling at their clubs, there's innate joy in my heart. Honestly, to have a Nigerian Born and raised excel and have the potential to become World class is one of the best feelings as an SE fan. I support my dual-nationals but they only choose us because of Rejection by their Favorite/Country of Birth

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:02am On Feb 18, 2021
Lol... We keep watching. That Sierra Leone game remains unforgivable in my books. Arrrggghhh. Let me just endure Rohr till 2022.

Icon4s:

Okoye that did not make even one save against Sierra Leone in Benin-City.

Rohr is gradually detailing from his old idealogies.

I am just watching him closely in 5D. cool

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:39am On Feb 18, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
Lol... We keep watching. That Sierra Leone game remains unforgivable in my books. Arrrggghhh. Let me just endure Rohr till 2022.

That game against S Leone was the last straw for me as well.

Honestly I don't get excited with Rohr's team anymore because no matter the scoreline, during the dying minutes, when the team gets tired Rohr seems to just stand and watch. The story always ends the same e.g. Ukraine, Argentina, S Leone.

Does he have the ability to read games? Has he ever for once made the right substitute at the most crucial moment?

Rohr's idealogy doesn't sit well with me. How do you explain starting Akpoguma as RB consistently when a more effective Aina is on the bench. When he was interviewed after the games he told the reporter "I told you they (S Leone) are good but you didn't believe me"

Are you kidding me? �

The truth is that many of us have been very patient with this guy because we believe if he could be more dynamic or reactive with his approach there are odds that he could churn out a very good team out of us.

Next game is against Lesotho at home. Hopefully they don't let in goals as usual, and Ekong doesn't start as RB this time because Lesotho are good grin

The next few games will determine Rohr's future with the eagles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:58am On Feb 18, 2021
TheSuperNerd:

Endure rohr till 2022....now I knw ur stand with rohr,well just 4get d afcon trophy and qf 2022 cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:50pm On Feb 18, 2021
So you just dey monitor my comments on Rohr O kwa ya? grin Well, now you know. After 2022, he should just go no matter what he wins.

And shaa ooo... Don't rule out a possible Afcon triumph just yet. And if that triumph happens it won't be down to any Rohr tactical masterclass. No way. It will have little to do with it really. Maybe he would get a few decisions right that contribute to it but overall, it won't be anything ingenious. It will majorly come down to the players quality at his disposal.

I mean, look at the French Side that won the WC in 2018. So loaded and filled with World class quality but they had (and still have) an annoyingly conservative coach in Deschamps.
But no matter how conservative his tactical set-up is, the quality of the french team always shine through eventually and that made up for his tactical deficiencies. But with time, we saw him exposed on a few occasions by smaller sides.

Same could happen with Rohr with the quality pouring into the Super Eagles. We have the players who can really ball and when all are available, we are actually one of the top sides in African football and the talents depth pool now is crazier than what we had two-three years ago.

This is why I don't rule out an Afcon win. It could still happen. But it won't make me ever forget the "Rohrbish" sin of Benin City. Losing a 4-0 lead?? The sacrifice that will erase such memory and abominable outing hasn't been discovered. Arrggghhh. It remains unforgivable. No Indigenous coach has even lost such lead in a competitive fixture at home! angry

Anyway, we March towards March. wink

elyte89:

Endure rohr till 2022....now I knw ur stand with rohr,well just 4get d afcon trophy and qf 2022 cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:02pm On Feb 18, 2021
Latest World Rankings released today.

Nigeria 5th in Africa. 36th in the world. Points remain unchanged but moved down a place from 35th position.

African teams in Top 50

- Senegal (20th)

- Tunisia (26th)

- Algeria (31st)

- Morocco (33rd)

- Nigeria (36th)

- Egypt (49th)

Note: Next World Rankings to be released on April 8th.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:05pm On Feb 18, 2021
Subzero047:
Zaidu Sanusi pocketed Ronaldo, yet he couldn't start for Fulham

I find that here people watch the same match with dramatically different perceptions of what happened.

I watched him and did not find him outstanding he actually gave a penalty that wasn't given when he tackled Ronaldo recklessly in the 18.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:55pm On Feb 18, 2021
Hi everyone.... Please check 4:20 and from 5:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUf5RVKMfJk

"ZAiDu TacKLEd RonALdo ReCKlessLY"

Emphasis on "ReCKlessLY"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 3:04pm On Feb 18, 2021
TheSuperNerd:

I remember that day like yesterday. I was going to miss the match for church service so I decided I'd steal glances at my browser to follow the scores. First time I'd check scores it was like 55+ mins. My hallelujah was loudest in church.

I'm glad we had just taken communion before I checked my phone again to see 4-4! It was a great deliverance from falling into temptation of raining curses on Rohr
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:11pm On Feb 18, 2021
Odunayaw:
I remember that day like yesterday. I was going to miss the match for church service so I decided I'd steal glances at my browser to follow the scores. First time I'd check scores it was like 55+ mins. My hallelujah was loudest in church.

I'm glad we had just taken communion before I checked my phone again to see 4-4! It was a great deliverance from falling into temptation of raining curses on Rohr

@First bolded... Hahahahahahaa... That moment when you are the most excited in church service and nobody understands why it is so. grin

@Next bolded... Loooooolll. The Lord's Supper stopped you from doing "bad thing". At least, you get "Fear of God". grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:39pm On Feb 18, 2021
Loads of Naija players in Uefa Europa League Knock out action today!

First in line is David Okereke of Club Brugge away at Dynamo Kyiv. First leg, Round of 32.

He starts.

Game kicks off in 21 mins.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:49pm On Feb 18, 2021
Other Naija lads in UEL KO Action today - 1st legs

Believe Iyayi Atiemwen (Dinamo Zagreb) vs FC Krasnodar - Away game.

Peter Olayinka (Slavia Prague) vs Leicester City - Home game.

Wilfred Ndidi, Kelechi Iheanacho (Leicester City) vs Slavia Prague - Away game.

Victor Osimhen (Napoli) vs Granada - Away game.

Samuel Chukwueze (Villarreal) vs RB Salzburg - Away game.

Karim Adeyemi (RB Salzburg) vs Villarreal - Home game.

Joe Aribo, Leon Balogun, Calvin Bassey (Glasgow Rangers) vs Royal Antwerp - Away game.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 3:53pm On Feb 18, 2021
TheSuperNerd:

So you just dey monitor my comments on Rohr O kwa ya? grin Well, now you know. After 2022, he should just go no matter what he wins.

And shaa ooo... Don't rule out a possible Afcon triumph just yet. And if that triumph happens it won't be down to any Rohr tactical masterclass. No way. It will have little to do with it really. Maybe he would get a few decisions right that contribute to it but overall, it won't be anything ingenious. It will majorly come down to the players quality at his disposal.

I mean, look at the French Side that won the WC in 2018. So loaded and filled with World class quality but they had (and still have) an annoyingly conservative coach in Deschamps.
But no matter how conservative his tactical set-up is, the quality of the french team always shine through eventually and that made up for his tactical deficiencies. But with time, we saw him exposed on a few occasions by smaller sides.

Same could happen with Rohr with the quality pouring into the Super Eagles. We have the players who can really ball and when all are available, we are actually one of the top sides in African football and the talents depth pool now is crazier than what we had two-three years ago.

This is why I don't rule out an Afcon win. It could still happen. But it won't make me ever forget the "Rohrbish" sin of Benin City. Losing a 4-0 lead?? The sacrifice that will erase such memory and abominable outing hasn't been discovered. Arrggghhh. It remains unforgivable. No Indigenous coach has even lost such lead in a competitive fixture at home! angry

Anyway, we March towards March. wink

Maybe Klopp will be on another soul searching leave of absence at that time and we give him the privilege of becoming SE coach.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:53pm On Feb 18, 2021
TheSuperNerd:

Aswear shame catch me after that game.
Especially after spending days, before my colleagues, defending our Performances against Algeria and Tunisia in those friendlies.

I didn't know what to defend again.

Imagine comment like " I am not surprised we drew against Sierra Leone". Imagine equating Nigeria with Sierra Leone. cry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:57pm On Feb 18, 2021
TheSuperNerd:

Papa don show... cheesy

Welcome Back Dad.

Nzogbu Nzogbu grin

smiley I was not really far away.

I was here all through reading our comments and analysis, but only couldn't contribute.

Nzogbu Enyimba for life cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 4:04pm On Feb 18, 2021
komekn:

I find that here people watch the same match with dramatically different perceptions of what happened.

I watched him and did not find him outstanding he actually gave a penalty that wasn't given when he tackled Ronaldo recklessly in the 18.

He didn't tackle Ronaldo they came together in the box and Ronaldo went looking for a penalty, You didn't watch the match
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:14pm On Feb 18, 2021
Because there really was nothing to defend. Time has passed, yes. And moving on, we are. But I won't let Time fool me into settling for "all is forgotten and forgiven." No way! That day was it! The last straw drawn.

But shaa... Moving on to the March games.

Icon4s:

Aswear shame catch me after that game.
Especially after spending days, before my colleagues, defending our Performances against Algeria and Tunisia in those friendlies.

I didn't know what to defend again.

Imagine comment like " I am not surprised we drew against Sierra Leone". Imagine equating Nigeria with Sierra Leone. cry

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 4:26pm On Feb 18, 2021
Sanusi laughing at Ronaldo begging for a penalty

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:48pm On Feb 18, 2021
Subzero047:
Sanusi laughing at Ronaldo begging for a penalty

More like...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:05pm On Feb 18, 2021
Like I promised I would... Here we are...

2020/21 Current European Golden Shoe Rankings- As at today, Feb 18

1st - Robert Lewandoski (FC Bayern): 25 goals (50 points)

2nd - Andre Silva (Eintracht Frankfurt): 18 goals (36 points)

3rd - Ebere Paul Onuachu (KRC Genk): 23 goals (34.5 points)

4th - Mohamed Salah (Liverpool): 17 goals (34 points)

5th - Giorgios Giakoumakis (VVV Venlo): 22 goals (33 points)

6th - Luis Suarez (Atletico Madrid): 16 goals (32 points)

7th - Kylian Mbappé (PSG): 16 goals (32 points)

8th - Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus): 16 goals (32 points)

9th - Romelu Lukaku (Inter): 16 goals (32 points)

10th - Erling Haaland (Dortmund): 15 goals (30 points)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 5:38pm On Feb 18, 2021
Rohr to Drop Super Eagles Captain, Chukwueze and Two Others From Squad
OlamideSundayOyetunji Feb 18, 2021 4:51 PM

The Nigerian male national team will be back in serious footballing business in the coming weeks as the first FIFA international break will see professional players starring for their various countries.

Super Eagles manager Gernot Rohr will execute his first and second assignment when Nigeria will entertain Benin Republic and Lesotho in the 2022 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.

After the disappointing back to back draw with Sierra Leone in November, the Franco-German manager is expected to change the outlook of the team.

The dramatic and unexpected 4-4 draw with the Leone Stars of Sierra Leone at the Samuel Ogbemudia stadium, Benin City led to outcry and condemnation from all quarters and the gaffer is ready to make some changes.

Super Eagles captain Ahmed Musa will become the first player to be dropped from the team due to his unemployment state as Gernot Rohr was expecting him to make a move during the January transfer window.

According to the list leaked by owngoalnigeria.com, Samuel Chukwueze was also not penned by the manager due to his inactivity at club level since January courtesy of injury not forgetting Dennis Bonaventure who just completed a loan move to FC Köln from Club Brugge.

Lastly, Heartland goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa has also been excluded from the team that will have Maduka Okoye, Daniel Akpeyi and the returning Francis Uzoho but another goalkeeper from the Nigeria Professional Football League will be given an opportunity.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 5:44pm On Feb 18, 2021
Ndidi and Olayinka start for Leicester and Slavia Prague respectively

This will be a hard hitting match

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:05pm On Feb 18, 2021
David Okereke featured for 69mins as his side, Club Brugge secured a 1-1 draw away at Dynamo Kyiv in the UEL Round of 32 1st leg.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:32pm On Feb 18, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
David Okereke featured for 69mins as his side, Club Brugge secured a 1-1 draw away at Dynamo Kyiv in the UEL Round of 32 1st leg.

Okereke's stock seem to have fallen drastically...
Remember when he first joined Brugge and was banging in goals like no tomorrow....

(1) (2) (3) ... (10246) (10247) (10248) (10249) (10250) (10251) (10252) ... (16240) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Meliforme, mostob(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.