Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,493 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:58 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10352) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11696064 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10349) (10350) (10351) (10352) (10353) (10354) (10355) ... (16158) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:35am On Mar 25, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Exactly. Ferguson saw a replica to Scholes that would form a twin partnership.

Ferguson loved everything about Mikel.

During the saga, I watched on MUTV how Ferguson flew repeatedly to Norway to convince Mikel not to accept the Chelsea deal.

Rumors have it that it was beyond footballing terms. There were forces behind Mikel not going to Manchester United.

Mikel even pointed out that after Chelsea beat Manchester United in the FA Cup Final, Ferguson still told Mikel that he would play for him.

How Mourinho robbed Mikel of such love from a top coach is heart breaking.

I really hate remembering this Mikel issue. It pained me.

That means Rohr also destroyed Etebo grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 10:39am On Mar 25, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

During the saga, I watched on MUTV how Ferguson flew repeatedly to Norway to convince Mikel not to accept the Chelsea deal.

Rumors have it that it was beyond footballing terms. There were forces behind Mikel not going to Manchester United.

Mikel even pointed out that after Chelsea beat Manchester United in the FA Cup Final, Ferguson still told Mikel that he would play for him.

I really hate remembering this Mikel issue. It pains me.

Mikel hands were tied up that time. The offer Chelsea made was too juicy to be ignored however three of Mikel friends were "kidnapped" along side Mikel And Chelsea promised to signed all if he agreed to sign for Chelsea plus the 30million pounds transfer fee... You can't blame young Mikel. He just want to play football

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 10:41am On Mar 25, 2021
well I wouldn't blame Ferguson too much on this because he went to extremes even almost breaking the law to sign Mikel. It was Mikel's reps backed by chelsea hierarchy that made john spurn Sir Alex's advances and I wouldn't have blamed the scot to washed his hands of the deal as bad market
elunico:

Ferguson didn't want him enough. Else, how could he have let Mikel slip after his unveiling as a UTD signing?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 10:44am On Mar 25, 2021
Yeah Obasi and co. had to consider their careers as well.

soetanoreoluwa:

Mikel hands were tied up that time. The offer Chelsea made was too juicy to be ignored however three of Mikel friends were "kidnapped" along side Mikel And Chelsea promised to signed all if he agreed to sign for Chelsea plus the 30million pounds transfer fee... You can't blame young Mikel. He just want to play football

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 10:53am On Mar 25, 2021
yeah Mikel was caught in the cross fire between Ferguson and Mourinho's egò/ambition.

anytime I remember Mikel's displays at U20 WC and 2006 AFCON like you I always have what ifs flooding through my mind of what john could have become

TheGoodJoe:

I really hate remembering this Mikel issue. It pains me.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 10:53am On Mar 25, 2021
chrisooblog:
well I wouldn't blame Ferguson too much on this because he went to extremes even almost breaking the law to sign Mikel. It was Mikel's reps backed by chelsea hierarchy that made john spurn Sir Alex's advances and I wouldn't have blamed the scot to washed his hands of the deal as bad market

The man tried his best sha. He was already affectionately referring to him as Obi Wan. Scholes was already looking out for the young lad. Damn! How I looked forward to that signing.

Chelsea just had to go to the extreme to get him. Fergie would have made him a better baller, I'm almost certain of that.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:04am On Mar 25, 2021
soetanoreoluwa:

I heard there were lots of threats and secrecy behind that saga. Mikel had no choice from his former agent, Anderson. But, why did Chelsea not let him be when they could sign anyone at that time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:04am On Mar 25, 2021
i agree 100% Man U would have been ideal for Mikel. Chelsea and Mourinho were just desperate not to give Ferguson any ammunition to hurt them.

Dude the thing weak me sef. I mean look at someone like Carrick before he arrived Man U he was just another random jam body english midfielder but see how ferguson polished him. That's one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of Jose respect his successes but as a developer of talents i rate him very low

elunico:

The man tried his best sha. He was already affectionately referring to him as Obi Wan. Scholes was already looking out for the young lad. Damn! How I looked forward to that signing.

Chelsea just had to go to the extreme to get him. Fergie would have made him a better baller, I'm almost certain of that.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:05am On Mar 25, 2021
One word Ego!

TheGoodJoe:

I heard there were lots of threats and secrecy behind that saga. Mikel had no choice from his former agent, Anderson. But, why did Chelsea not let him be when they could sign anyone at that time.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:07am On Mar 25, 2021
elunico:

Ferguson didn't want him enough. Else, how could he have let Mikel slip after his unveiling as a UTD signing?

How did he let Mikel slip? The only blame Ferguson can get is allowing Mikel sign with Lynn Oslo after discovering him. He should have stayed in Manchester United and not waited for a future deal.

After unveiling Mikel, John Shittu came with his mafia movement to scatter the deal. Mikel had to admit he signed the deal under duress to save his neck.

So Ferguson can not get blamed for it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 11:19am On Mar 25, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

How did he let Mikel slip? The only blame Ferguson can get is allowing Mikel sign with Lynn Oslo after discovering him. He should have stayed in Manchester United and not waited for a future deal.

After unveiling Mikel, John Shittu came with his mafia movement to scatter the deal. Mikel had to admit he signed the deal under duress to save his neck.

Getting him and sending him to the U-23 would have been better. He wouldn't spend much time there before he breaks into the 1st team. Obi wan was already a favorite at the time. The mafia wouldn't have stood a chance.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 11:19am On Mar 25, 2021
Nice line up

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 11:20am On Mar 25, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

I believe Anderson served jail time for issues related to that transfer saga.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:20am On Mar 25, 2021
elunico:

Getting him and sending him to the U-23 would have been better. He wouldn't spend much time there before he breaks into the 1st team. Obi wan was already a favorite at the time. The mafia wouldn't have stood a chance.
Exactly.

Ferguson did not see the trouble coming. That was just the plain truth. By the time Mikel was ready, the mafia were in for him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:23am On Mar 25, 2021
elunico:

I believe Anderson served jail time for issues related to that transfer saga.

Anderson took a fall for Mikel. If Anderson agreed Mikel signed that deal with Manchester United, Mikel would have been in trouble with the forces behind the scene.

Anderson could not also say Ferguson knew about them trying to sneak Mikel behind the forces.

So he accepted he forged Mikel's signature. Went to jail and let Mikel go to Chelsea.

The Ferguson team really loved Mikel and I hope Nigeria raises another gem with the class of Mikel again.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 11:31am On Mar 25, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

LMAO I am not a Jamaican ooo. I was dead tired when I recorded so maybe that explains the slow rap. At least it wasn't mumble rap so I can be happy with that grin
It was fun.. grin..liked it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 11:31am On Mar 25, 2021
I like the way our outing against Sierra Leone is making Benin Republic over confident.

Hopefully, they will underrate us smiley

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:32am On Mar 25, 2021
Samueltemi337:
Nice line up

If we had a reasonable coach, then we could bring down any team in Africa using this line up, though at the long run, I would shake it up by replacing Iwobi with Ademola Lookman. Also Maduka should sit for Uzoho.

Nice line up

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:32am On Mar 25, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

But why would Manchester United unveil a player without going through his agent? Shittu did the right thing if he was in fact the agent. Man U were trying to do crooked and ethical business. Would they have bypassed him if he was a white agent I have to ask because people have just overlooked facts for too long. Here we have a black man managing one of the hottest prospects in the game and a club bypasses him on the biggest deal of his career. Manchester United should also admit that they were wrong

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 11:34am On Mar 25, 2021
Samueltemi337:
Nice line up
This
But I'd swap sanusi for ebuehi
Uzoho for okoye
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:43am On Mar 25, 2021
nairalandankrah:

It was fun.. grin..liked it

Thanks boss. Glad u enjoyed it wink

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ersonleads(m): 11:48am On Mar 25, 2021
ChrisKels:

If we had a reasonable coach, then we could bring down any team in Africa using this line up, though at the long run, I would shake it up by replacing Iwobi with Ademola Lookman. Also Maduka should sit for Uzoho.

Nice line up
madt line up. wish rohr could see this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Fabuloski(m): 11:48am On Mar 25, 2021
nairalandankrah:

This
But I'd swap sanusi for ebuehi
Uzoho for okoye
That's not ebuehi wing. I will bench aina for ebuehi though.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ersonleads(m): 11:50am On Mar 25, 2021
ChrisKels:

Nice line up
with this line up, there will be free flow of d ball & less work for osimehn cos of iheanachos support up front
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ersonleads(m): 11:52am On Mar 25, 2021
ChrisKels:

Nice line up
someone should make rohr see this please....so juicy assembly

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:55am On Mar 25, 2021
You make good points however Shittu was the one who orchestrated Mikel's trials with Chelsea. Ferguson knew he had no chance getting Mikel through Shittu. Hence the reason why he used Anderson to try and get Mikel. He also probably thought Mikel would probably want to be his own man having just turned 18 but unfortunately for Sir Alex he didn't reckon that Chelsea had other leverage on the young man.

If you know Sir Alex's notorious disdain for agents then his actions won't have surprised you.

BascoVanVeli:

But why would Manchester United unveil a player without going through his agent? Shittu did the right thing if he was in fact the agent. Man U were trying to do crooked and ethical business. Would they have bypassed him if he was a white agent I have to ask because people have just overlooked facts for too long. Here we have a black man managing one of the hottest prospects in the game and a club bypasses him on the biggest deal of his career. Manchester United should also admit that they were wrong

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:01pm On Mar 25, 2021
Good offensive line up but the question to ask is those it offer that right balance in terms of defence. This line up is great against the likes of lesotho, benin, togo but against Senegal, Algeria or Morocco we would need to tweak the formation to give them a solid defensive foundation while not reducing their attacking potential.

ChrisKels:

Nice line up
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dammywapes(m): 12:03pm On Mar 25, 2021
How we dey watch benin v nigeria?...

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:04pm On Mar 25, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

Shittu was not in the picture when Manchester United found Mikel while in camp in the U17 with Eguavoen.

The Nigerian U17 team of 2003 camped at Old Trafford in preparation for the U17 World Cup.

It was after that Mikel camped with the Manchester United team, did a trial and moved Mikel to Oslo.

In the course of that, I don't know how Mikel dabbled into Shittu or Shittu trying to play a fast one to secure Mikel a big deal. Keep in mind he was already a Manchester United player and Anderson was already in the picture. The Oslo deal earlier.

At the time Shittu was working with Chelsea, Manchester United were ready with an offer for Mikel. Mikel gladly signed and all hell was loosed.

Shittu did not want a loss, he wanted the money and things got messy.

Ferguson and Anderson had to let go to save Mikel.

This is what I think went down after reading multiple sources.

Shittu stole Mikel from Anderson and not the other way around. I heard some other players from that set suffered the same fate.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:11pm On Mar 25, 2021
chrisooblog:
Good offensive line up but the question to ask is those it offer that right balance in terms of defence. This line up is great against the likes of lesotho, benin, togo but against Senegal, Algeria or Morocco we would need to tweak the formation to give them a solid defensive foundation while not reducing their attacking potential.

It just has to do with set up. With the full backs dropping into midfield to make it compact, we can defend against sides on the counter attack.

The offensive players can offer high pressing to disrupt build ups from the back and also win the ball back fast.

Also we can defend in unison when we lose the ball by dropping deep.

Just defensive Tactical awareness will assist in defensive rigidity.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:18pm On Mar 25, 2021
chrisooblog:
You make good points however Shittu was the one who orchestrated Mikel's trials with Chelsea. Ferguson knew he had no chance getting Mikel through Shittu. Hence the reason why he used Anderson to try and get Mikel. He also probably thought Mikel would probably want to be his own man having just turned 18 but unfortunately for Sir Alex he didn't reckon that Chelsea had other leverage on the young man.

If you know Sir Alex's notorious disdain for agents then his actions won't have surprised you.

Sometimes you break protocol.

Ferguson should have found a way to get Shittu and Anderson to sit. Reach a compromise and settle Shittu. Mikel was worth the extra expenses.

Sometimes people forget Chelsea had to pay Manchester United development fee for Mikel.

All it took for Ferguson was to reach an agreement with Shittu.

Guess the oil money backing Shittu behind the scenes was too much.

Either way, I still blame Mourinho because he did not need Mikel when he already had top midfielders.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 12:22pm On Mar 25, 2021
elunico:

True that, the same way he turned Eric Djemba Djemba to world class!!!! By the way I haven't seen an African ( full blown) thrive at Man Utd, Quinton fortune and Bailly are the best from africa to feature for them and that says a lot.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10349) (10350) (10351) (10352) (10353) (10354) (10355) ... (16158) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: AndSunGorilla, Tolulopefinest(m), Suzzytee05(f) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.