Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,634 members, 7,958,893 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 06:48 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10367) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12479094 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10364) (10365) (10366) (10367) (10368) (10369) (10370) ... (16710) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 7:58am On Mar 27, 2021
smartsmith0907:

His performance has been bang average so far
Lol grin. I don't like this news oh. after all my expectations.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 7:59am On Mar 27, 2021
nairalandankrah:
The Fédération Béninoise de Football and coach Michel Dussuyer have received bad news ahead of Saturday evening's 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match against Nigeria after it was confirmed that one of the twenty four players invited for the fixture has tested positive for coronavirus...
Very sad indeed

Meanwhile, The Super Eagles players and officials had their mandatory COVID-19 tests done at the point of entry in Porto-Novo on Friday.
Only one is not bad na.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 8:03am On Mar 27, 2021
BascoVanVeli:
Seems Peter Olayinka took the time out to get married.
Maybe this will answer the serial conspiracy theorists question?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 8:13am On Mar 27, 2021
He married a nollywood actress
BascoVanVeli:
Seems Peter Olayinka took the time out to get married.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:32am On Mar 27, 2021
ChrisKels:

Another big steal after Koulibaly and Eduard Mendy is Abdou Diallo. I even read that his younger brother who plays for Southampton is considering going to the AFCON with Senegal.

Did you know that it doesn't take more than two weeks for those players to get cleared from France to rep any of these francophone countries, unlike England that takes up to 2years to clear a player for the anglophone countries in Africa?

MISINFORMATION

It took barely 18 days for Wilfred Zaha to change allegiance from England and that is after playing senior games for the first team not just youth football.

Add to that England was very reluctant to let him go, there was controversial opposition to his move to Cote De Voire.

But it still only took a mere 3 weeks.

Meanwhile a lot of people here think the problem is the players who were born in the UK. Why should it take years to get Oviemuno Ejaria clearance, a person who committed to Nigeria over 3 + years ago. Or should we talk about Ademola Lookman.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:36am On Mar 27, 2021
Olulong:

I think England does that thing intentionally because I mean Akpoguma was cleared in less than how many months but Ejaria and Lookman don dey take years.

Misinformation you really do not know your own NFF.

Check the archives and see how Aina clearance was administratively delayed by the NFF, some say ineptitude others say intentional to ensure vested interests in certain players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:37am On Mar 27, 2021
smartsmith0907:
I hope y'all know ighalo was in camp today.

Fabulous news.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:41am On Mar 27, 2021
nairalandankrah:

So the problem is his color?

That means Ngole Kante, Mikel Obi, Makakele, Lassana Diarra or Winjaldum at Liverpool are all WHITE.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Slimmy2222: 8:53am On Mar 27, 2021
realpoacher:

Pay you and still eat your pusscy?

You must be Mad!

Stop posting false information,I know this person she isn’t even like what this person said.Mehn people are wicked.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Slimmy2222: 8:57am On Mar 27, 2021
[quote author=realpoacher post=100246665]

You won’t succeed in life you imposter
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:59am On Mar 27, 2021
komekn:

Misinformation you really do not know your own NFF.

Check the archives and see how Aina clearance was administratively delayed by the NFF, some say ineptitude others say intentional to ensure vested interests in certain players.

Tell me something.. Why would the NFF intentionally delay the switch of all these British born players?
If they don't want them,why bother to go through the stress of convincing them to play for us?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 9:09am On Mar 27, 2021
Danielnino00:

Tell me something.. Why would the NFF intentionally delay the switch of all these British born players?
If they don't want them,why bother to go through the stress of convincing them to play for us?
i thing the problem may be from the players themselves its does not make sense for nff to delay
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 9:18am On Mar 27, 2021
Olulong:
This people have started with their useless antics. Why do we do this in this part of the world??

It is CAF that is useless and don't do their job in sanctioning countries that do such nonsense treatment to away teams. That shit is even worse in CAF club competitions.

Imagine doing such nonsense in Europe, UEFA would have sanctioned such country and these hostile behavior to away teams would have reduced to the barest minimum
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 9:25am On Mar 27, 2021
fabyom:
I prefer we play 3-5-2 away from home. We played so well the last time we played that formation. We have the players to play the formation effectively.
Uzoho(cos of the pitch)

Ekong Ajayi Balogun

Aina Ndidi Aribo Sanusi

Iwobi

Iheanacho Osihmen

By so doing, you will be sacrificing Chukwueze
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:29am On Mar 27, 2021
isan:
He married a nollywood actress

Oh okay I didn't know that one
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:32am On Mar 27, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

Oga Porto Novo used to be the capital of Benin o. There should be an airport close to it. How long will it even take to travel the whole of Benin sef? The COO airport is 30km from Porto Novo sir. But am sure the boat option will be way cheaper than a chartered flight

Porto Novo is still the capital of Benin republic.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 9:33am On Mar 27, 2021
Clementoke:

By so doing, you will be sacrificing Chukwueze

4-4-2 is the best option to me sha. That wayzl, Chukwueze and iwobi can play in midfield as RM and LM. Both iwobi and Chukwueze especially have played that position in their clubs multiple times so it won't be new.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:00am On Mar 27, 2021
komekn:

MISINFORMATION

It took barely 18 days for Wilfred Zaha to change allegiance from England and that is after playing senior games for the first team not just youth football.

Add to that England was very reluctant to let him go, there was controversial opposition to his move to Cote De Voire.

But it still only took a mere 3 weeks.

Meanwhile a lot of people here think the problem is the players who were born in the UK. Why should it take years to get Oviemuno Ejaria clearance, a person who committed to Nigeria over 3 + years ago. Or should we talk about Ademola Lookman.

Were you not the one that told us that Eze would be turning out for the eagles as soon as he secures a move to the EPL, that you knew every detail and how things were gonna pan out, what happened?
grin

12 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:04am On Mar 27, 2021
Icon4s:

This man!

Where you go since?

Been chasing what's chasing me bro. How is the family?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:05am On Mar 27, 2021
Karlovych:
Lateef is moving back to the US to play for a university in Vegas later this year.

After all the hype? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 10:15am On Mar 27, 2021
4-4-2 is not even that good, 1st Iheanacho flourishes in a 3-5-2 not in a 4-4-2 because he doesn't have the workrate to man the right wing AND the no 10 position, secondly Chukwueze and Iwobi are prevented from playing their best attacking positions

We are sacrificing a lot for Iheanacho and we are doing it wrong
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:23am On Mar 27, 2021
ChrisKels:

Been chasing what's chasing me bro. How is the family?

grin chase am wella o. But when the meat finally don, no forget your men o grin

Family is doing great and yours?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iiamharkinwaley: 10:30am On Mar 27, 2021
Good Morning, I’m hoping Dstv will show today’s match sad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:30am On Mar 27, 2021
Icon4s:

grin chase am wella o. But when the meat finally don, no forget your men o grin

Family is doing great and yours?

Na so bro, but na the world for all, then, all men for himself. It is a poor orientation looking up to anyone to climb and help you up undecided

We are doing good bro.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:38am On Mar 27, 2021
fabyom:
I prefer we play 3-5-2 away from home. We played so well the last time we played that formation. We have the players to play the formation effectively.
Uzoho(cos of the pitch)

Ekong Ajayi Balogun

Aina Ndidi Aribo Sanusi

Iwobi

Iheanacho Osihmen

Nah 3-5-2 is very conservative and dangerous for a team like Benin that will be on ultra defense so 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 will be the best bet.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:40am On Mar 27, 2021
Starters

Okoye
Ekong
Balogun
Aina
Aribo
Ndidi
Iwobi
Nacho
Chuks
Osihmen
In a 4-4-2 or 4-3-2-1 formation

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 10:47am On Mar 27, 2021
Three Key Decisions For Gernot Rohr Ahead Of Benin

Gernot Rohr has some important decisions to make ahead of the qualifier games against Benin and Lesotho

The Super Eagles of Nigeria go into March’s “double-header” against Benin and Lesotho in search of a point that will, for all intents and purposes, wrap up qualification for the Nations Cup.

It is a favourable state of affairs – to have your destiny in your hands – but the road Gernot Rohr’s side has taken to arrive here has left something of a bitter taste in the mouth.

The disastrous November international window saw Nigeria unable to beat Sierra Leone in two attempts, despite taking a four-goal lead inside the opening 30 minutes of the home leg in Benin. These sorts of results can be deemed a wake-up call and may be described as a teachable moment for what is still, essentially, a young team. But, it narrowed the margin for error, although not by much. A point is eminently achievable over the next two matches, but some important decisions need to be made. These “calls” will significantly help or hinder the cause if they go wrong or right.

How To Format The Attack
Until recently, it seemed set in stone that the Super Eagles’ attacking lynchpin was Victor Osimhen. However, since his injury in the home leg against Sierra Leone last year, his trajectory has plateaued somewhat. He has been unable to get into a decent rhythm at Napoli, and there were even calls for him to be left off the national team list to focus on finding his feet in Italy.

But, it is a different case for Kelechi Iheanacho and Paul Onuachu, both of whom have been prolific for their clubs. However, while their merit is undeniable, they both bring very different strengths to the table than Osimhen, and so Rohr has a tough choice to make: continuity v form. Does he stick with Osimhen based on tactical familiarity, or reward the other two in a bid to broaden his attacking options going forward?.

Rohr has a tough decision to make with Kelechi Iheanacho in form
A further wrinkle comes in with the idea of fielding two of the three, rather than one. But who then misses out? Tough choice…

Recommendation: start Osimhen in a front two, with Iheanacho just off him.

Who Starts At Right Back?
If you think the Super Eagles is spoiled for options in attack, wait till you get a load of the traffic jam at right-back.

Both Ola Aina and Tyronne Ebuehi, being in fine form at club level, are at the front of the queue, but then you get to the more unorthodox picks.

Rohr trusts Chidozie Awaziem, to play at right-back in the service of a greater defensive security, and even Shehu Abdullahi has tried the role.

It really comes down to how Rohr interprets the game. He is more unlikely to field two flying full-backs simultaneously. There is a strong probability (especially if, as expected, Zaidu Sanusi starts at left-back) that we will see a more conservative pick on the other flank.

That doesn’t write off Aina or Ebuehi, however. The Fulham man in particular, has been playing a more disciplined role in the Premier League; something of a hybrid between a full-back and an outside centre-back in a back three. This has sharpened his concentration and curbed some of his wilder instincts. Ebuehi is a complete, well-rounded full-back, and so can be trusted to interpret a more measured role as well.

Does Ola Aina or Tyronne Ebuehi start at right-back?
Recommendation: start Tyronne Ebuehi at right-back.

Midfield Formatting
For the first time, Rohr has the trio of Joe Aribo, Wilfred Ndidi, and Oghenekaro Etebo available to him for selection. Injuries have, since 2019, conspired to deprive him of one or more of the three at various times, and so he will relish the bounty.

Of course, it raises the question of how exactly to deploy them?

Ndidi is pretty much a certain option, but who pairs with him, and how might that determine the shape and flow of the team?

His partnership with Etebo, while a solid one, has often struggled to progress the ball when faced with compact, disciplined opponents (see: 2019’s Africa Cup of Nations semi-final v Algeria). Aribo, with whom he played with against Brazil, is the more expansive option but he can lack defensive awareness due to his attacking instincts.

Also, how does he set it up? Ndidi as the sole holding midfielder, with two shuttlers on either side? A double-pivot? Will we see a re-tread of the flat midfield from the home game against Sierra Leone?

Ndidi looks like a guaranteed starter in midfield
Recommendation: play all three (preferably in a midfield diamond).
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:47am On Mar 27, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

Maybe this will answer the serial conspiracy theorists question?

It didn’t answer anything.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ihenzy(m): 10:49am On Mar 27, 2021
smartsmith0907:
Starters
Okoye Ekong Balogun Aina Aribo Ndidi Iwobi Nacho Chuks Osihmen In a 4-4-2 or 4-3-2-1 formation
You ommited a name which I guess is sanusi

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SmartyPants(m): 10:53am On Mar 27, 2021
nairalandankrah:
Someone should pls tell me why Ndidi is undervalued.. Is it because he scores less goals from his position?

How is he being undervalued?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:53am On Mar 27, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
Lol grin. I don't like this news oh. after all my expectations.

I don’t believe that news

And we no go judge player because of training

(1) (2) (3) ... (10364) (10365) (10366) (10367) (10368) (10369) (10370) ... (16710) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: bennie1980(m), elyte89, toluxe0075, Ppogbae, sureleads, lbrichman2 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.