Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,598 members, 7,851,028 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:25 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11012) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11868942 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11009) (11010) (11011) (11012) (11013) (11014) (11015) ... (16250) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 6:28am On Aug 05, 2021
Ppogbae:
How much do you wanna bet that those unused kits from PUMA will be sold by the higher ups in the Federation?

Nothing is out of the realm of possibility in this country at this point grin grin
You and millions of other Nigerians have this thing in common. drawing conclusions from one sided stories. Why not calm your nerves and emotions down and allow Sunday Dare to bring his own side of the story? Definitely there's something wrong with that contract issue. Sunday Dare may be wrong somewhere, but he's not that stupid to reject the PUMA contract jerseys just like that for no reason. There's a lot more to the story.

9 Likes 6 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 6:30am On Aug 05, 2021
fabyom:
I do think you can call Sunday Dare out without ridiculing the country. My family/relatives live in a great nation, not a zoo. What will you benefit from the collapse of the zoo? I sincerely want to know!
Lol. As if anything will change.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 6:44am On Aug 05, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
You and millions of other Nigerians have this thing in common. drawing conclusions from one sided stories. Why not calm your nerves and emotions down and allow Sunday Dare to bring his own side of the story? Definitely there's something wrong with that contract issue. Sunday Dare may be wrong somewhere, but he's not that stupid to reject the PUMA contract jerseys just like that for no reason. There's a lot more to the story.

Nothing shocks me in this country anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if an investigation is not done and everyone moves on as if nothing happened - as has happened time and time again in this country

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 6:51am On Aug 05, 2021
Ppogbae:

Nothing shocks me in this country anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if an investigation is not done and everyone moves on as if nothing happened - as has happened time and time again in this country
Well, everyone has his own perspective.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tamunotonye22(m): 6:54am On Aug 05, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Grealish not having Champions League experience has to do with his club and not his talent. Players like Riqui Puig and Pedri are not as good as him but they have Champions League experience.

You have proved so much point to let these guys bully you like that. There are a bunch of players that have UCL experience and cannot be on the same level with grealish. This is common sense. Mane and VVD had no UCL experience from s'oton. It's just funny and ridiculous when I hear people call EPL and it's players overrated. England not winning the WC or Euros has nothing to do with the players, but with the coach. Coaches/managers these days have a philosophy (Mancini,guardiola, Tuchel, klopp) and that alone changes the mentality of a team and a player. Conte and Mourinho all had that top manager quality (philosophy and format) that helped them edge over their counterparts. We saw how klopp and pochettino played out (esp Spurs with a team you'd arguably call average) at the UCL finals the last time. And now Tuchel and guardiola, Southgate is nowhere half as good as these men are. Most of y'all watch this game for fun and probably for goals and it clearly shows.
@TheGoodJoe you made too much sense, respect!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tamunotonye22(m): 6:59am On Aug 05, 2021
Ppogbae:
Sunday Dare and the higher ups at the athletics federation will rot in perdition. This is truly the height of callousness.

Everyday I rejoice for the privilege of social media. This may have been going on for years and years on.
They should ban smart phones this time around Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tamunotonye22(m): 7:04am On Aug 05, 2021
humility33:

Lol.... oga that guy is not as good as pedri
Please don't compare them

Why is this comparison please?
Your statement is delusional but I'd have to question about you. They're both gen talents and spent time at lower teams (grealish has been at the top level, drawing interest from man utd and Spurs from the same age as Pedri now). Trust me, if grealish was Spanish he'd be at Real or barça by now just like your Pedri Lol

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 8:34am On Aug 05, 2021
In my humble opinion Guardiola is a good manager with a good record BUT

1. The idea that he improves players who are already world class or near that level is laughable...some pundits here in the UK even dared to say he improved Aguero. I'll let you decide or what you chose to believe.

2. He assembles the very best legs for obscene transfer fees that would cripple 99% of clubs in world football. By that reasoning he should be conveniently beating 99% of teams he faces too. So his achievements in the dugout are par for course in particular in the domestic leagues.

3. The jury is still out in some quarters about what metrics for success should be applicable when discussing Guardiolas success or lack of it. He has not won the champions League in 10 years.

He was employed by Bayern to win it and failed. Since he left they have won it!
He is employed by Man City to win it. 5 years and multiple hundreds of millions after and still no cigar...not quite the alchemist some will try to make us believe is it?

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 9:18am On Aug 05, 2021
Tamunotonye22:

Your statement is delusional but I'd have to question about you. They're both gen talents and spent time at lower teams (grealish has been at the top level, drawing interest from man utd and Spurs from the same age as Pedri now). Trust me, if grealish was Spanish he'd be at Real or barça by now just like your Pedri Lol

We all saw both play for their national teams at the last euro no youngster from England could match him talent wise

You talk about if grealish was spanish he would be in Madrid or berca, you make me laugh if not for the privilege of been english i doubt if he is worth beyond 50m pounds and even an elite club material
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:19am On Aug 05, 2021
wayodude:
In my humble opinion Guardiola is a good manager with a good record BUT

1. The idea that he improves players who are already world class or near that level is laughable...some pundits here in the UK even dared to say he improved Aguero. I'll let you decide or what you chose to believe.

2. He assembles the very best legs for obscene transfer fees that would cripple 99% of clubs in world football. By that reasoning he should be conveniently beating 99% of teams he faces too. So his achievements in the dugout are par for course in particular in the domestic leagues.

3. The jury is still out in some quarters about what metrics for success should be applicable when discussing Guardiolas success or lack of it. He has not won the champions League in 10 years.

He was employed by Bayern to win it and failed. Since he left they have won it!
He is employed by Man City to win it. 5 years and multiple hundreds of millions after and still no cigar...not quite the alchemist some will try to make us believe is it.

You guys reharsh the same stale story. Guardiola was bought to win the Champions League. Football has never worked like that. It takes luck to win the Champions League. The only guarantee a coach can give is outstanding performances. Title falls to luck.

Mancini won this Euro based on luck. He did his job to turn the Italians to a top quality team. Enrique build the best class with respect to team play but unluckily lost to Italy on Penalties.

Italy won by penalties.

However, what Guardiola did at Bayern and has done at City is what a layman can not deny. He built the fiercest playing teams. They made results that were not done possible. He did the same with Barca.

So you guys can keep hiding under Guardiola has not won the Champions League but heck, he came to the most competitive league on the planet and won it 3 times in four seasons. Won every domestic title in one season.

So you guys can run with he has not won the Champions League but we the Cityzens family know the truth Guardiola has over delivered and we expect him to keep delivering.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:21am On Aug 05, 2021
humility33:

We all saw both play for their national teams at the last euro no youngster from England could match him talent wise

You talk about if grealish was spanish he would be in Madrid or berca, you make me laugh if not for the privilege of been english i doubt if he is worth beyond 50m pounds and even an elite club material

Jack Grealish was not given a chance by the coach. That is not a proof that Pedri is better. When Jack Grealish got a bit of chance, he showed quality.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 9:21am On Aug 05, 2021
Tamunotonye22:

You have proved so much point to let these guys bully you like that. There are a bunch of players that have UCL experience and cannot be on the same level with grealish. This is common sense. Mane and VVD had no UCL experience from s'oton. It's just funny and ridiculous when I hear people call EPL and it's players overrated. England not winning the WC or Euros has nothing to do with the players, but with the coach. Coaches/managers these days have a philosophy (Mancini,guardiola, Tuchel, klopp) and that alone changes the mentality of a team and a player. Conte and Mourinho all had that top manager quality (philosophy and format) that helped them edge over their counterparts. We saw how klopp and pochettino played out (esp Spurs with a team you'd arguably call average) at the UCL finals the last time. And now Tuchel and guardiola, Southgate is nowhere half as good as these men are. Most of y'all watch this game for fun and probably for goals and it clearly shows.

You need to learn the rules of engagement
Goodjoe argued his points without calling me or anyone else delusional and please lets be civil the fact we hold diverse views doesn't make any delusional

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 9:23am On Aug 05, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Jack Grealish was not given a chance by the coach. That is not a proof that Pedri is better. When Jack Grealish got a bit of chance, he showed quality.

The coach saw all he has to offer the team during friendlies and more so he wasn't pleased with his inputs of all subs saka played better and even steal the show at some point nothing special from grealish at last euros
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 9:25am On Aug 05, 2021

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 9:29am On Aug 05, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

You guys reharsh the same stale story. Guardiola was bought to win the Champions League. Football has never worked like that. It takes luck to win the Champions League. The only guarantee a coach can give is outstanding performances. Title falls to luck.

Mancini won this Euro based on luck. He did his job to turn the Italians to a top quality team. Enrique build the best class with respect to team play but unluckily lost to Italy on Penalties.

Italy won by penalties.

However, what Guardiola did at Bayern and has done at City is what a layman can not deny. He built the fiercest playing teams. They made results that were not done possible. He did the same with Barca.

So you guys can keep hiding under Guardiola has not won the Champions League but heck, he came to the most competitive league on the planet and won it 3 times in four seasons. Won every domestic title in one season.

So you guys can run with he has not won the Champions League but we the Cityzens family know the truth Guardiola has over delivered and we expect him to keep delivering.

If your argument is that luck is the overriding element that determines success in the champions League (which by the way is a more even field considering Guardiola's outlay on players) then I will leave it there. I have no more to add to any debate on the matter.

Italy won the Euro by luck too? It's okay.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 10:02am On Aug 05, 2021
Olympiacos have collected the number 7 Jersey from local boy & captain, Kostas Fortounis, who contributed 22 goals last season and given it to Henry Onyekuru. Fortounis had worn this for the past 6 years.

Pressure.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:10am On Aug 05, 2021
Tamunotonye22:

I like your point

Champions league experience doesn’t matter

Vardy didn’t play at the champions league till he was almost 30 but was still better than many strikers that has been playing there

Well grealish is a good player but no where worth 100 million

And yes English players are overrated but not all of them

How many of us have you seen calling Harry Kane ,sterling Kyle walker Kieran tripper overrated ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:11am On Aug 05, 2021
wayodude:

If your argument is that luck is the overriding element that determines success in the champions League (which by the way is a more even field considering Guardiola's outlay on players) then I will leave it there. I have no more to add to any debate on the matter.

Italy won the Euro by luck too? It's okay.

Luck played a big part. They won two penalty shootouts to carry the cup. That is straight luck too. The manager's job is to get the team playing well. Hoping the team pick trophies along the line.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:16am On Aug 05, 2021
humility33:

The coach saw all he has to offer the team during friendlies and more so he wasn't pleased with his inputs of all subs saka played better and even steal the show at some point nothing special from grealish at last euros

Saka got selected to play more like a wingback and not because he was better than Grealish. Southgate opted for a more defensive approach and selected the team based on that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:18am On Aug 05, 2021
Tamunotonye22:

Pedri was purchased from a division 2 Spanish team at 5 million euros at the age of 17 while grealish was a 25 year old player playing championship football for years ,pedri spent only 1 season at division 2 football which was at the age of 17 and same can’t be said of grealish

I cannot compare the 2 players okay ,as one is already a world talent at 18 and won the best young player at the euros

After 1 season of top flight football for club and country pedri is worth 80 million euros by transfer market ,that should tel you he will be sold for nothing less than 150 million euros of Barca are to sell him

Who told you if grealish was Spanish he will be at real or Barca ,as good as Dani Olmo and oyazarbal they haven’t played for Barca and you think grealish will be playing there .

Point of correction Na grealish spend time for lower teams and not pedri ,you cannot compare 8 seasons at Aston Villa and north county which most of the time there was championship football to a single season at las palmas for a 16 year old kid .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dozai: 10:20am On Aug 05, 2021
Is it possible we can get this Karim Adeyemi?? If we can't get Noni Madueke. Have been watching his playing style during this pre season. I have this feeling that he will be the next big thing from the stable of RB Salzburg.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:22am On Aug 05, 2021
TheLoneCitizen:
Olympiacos have collected the number 7 Jersey from local boy & captain, Kostas Fortounis, who contributed 22 goals last season and given it to Henry Onyekuru. Fortounis had worn this for the past 6 years.

Pressure.

Wow

Onyekuru is the Messi there

Modified

Just found out that the captain who dropped the number 7 for onyekuru is switching to the number 10 jersey

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:22am On Aug 05, 2021
andrew444:

Pedri was purchased from a division 2 Spanish team at 5 million euros at the age of 17 while grealish was a 25 year old player playing championship football for years ,pedri spent only 1 season at division 2 football which was at the age of 17 and same can’t be said of grealish

I cannot compare the 2 players okay ,as one is already a world talent at 18 and won the best young player at the euros

After 1 season of top flight football for club and country pedri is worth 80 million euros by transfer market ,that should tel you he will be sold for nothing less than 150 million euros of Barca are to sell him

Who told you if grealish was Spanish he will be at real or Barca ,as good as Dani Olmo and oyazarbal they haven’t played for Barca and you think grealish will be playing there .

Point of correction Na grealish spend time for lower teams and not pedri ,you cannot compare 8 seasons at Aston Villa and north county which most of the time there was championship football to a single season at las palmas for a 16 year old kid .

I doubt purchase time is a point. I remember clubs wanted Jack Grealish earlier but he turned them down to stay at Villa. That should not mean poor player.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:24am On Aug 05, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

I doubt purchase time is a point. I remember clubs wanted Jack Grealish earlier but he turned them down to stay at Villa. That should not mean poor player.

Lies ,grealish didn’t turn anyone down to stay at Villa ,those club weren’t serious

He is joining mancity now because city are serious in getting him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 10:28am On Aug 05, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Saka got selected to play more like a wingback and not because he was better than Grealish. Southgate opted for a more defensive approach and selected the team based on that.

Can't argue much with you because that Southgate na agbaya.... gernot rohr English nephew. But i dont agree with agree with that grealish is up to pedri potentials

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:29am On Aug 05, 2021
TheGoodJoe:
See what I am saying? No one talks about the improved buying power of the selling club. Reports have it that Aston Villa just landed Danny Ings. Which I consider a massive signing from Southampton.

Aston Villa has made 3 massive signing

They signed the best championship player from Norwich for 40 million euros ,Emiliano buenda the Argentine ,they signed Leon Bailey from leverkusen for 30 million euros and now they have signed Danny Ings for 25 million euros

Watch out for Aston Villa
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 10:30am On Aug 05, 2021
andrew444:

Lies ,grealish didn’t turn anyone down to stay at Villa ,those club weren’t serious

He is joining mancity now because city are serious in getting him

Bless u bro
Imagine tamuno saying if he was spanish he will be in madrid or berca at least grin

If not that we have eyes we would have still same of kelvin philips and Rice
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 10:31am On Aug 05, 2021
andrew444:

Aston Villa has made 3 massive signing

They signed the best championship player from Norwich for 40 million euros ,Emiliano buenda the Argentine ,they signed Leon Bailey from leverkusen for 30 million euros and now they have signed Danny Ings for 25 million euros

Watch out for Aston Villa

You never can tell bro
Remember spurs once made such signings soldado and co after bale exit and fulhan too with nothing to show for it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jubilantagida: 10:32am On Aug 05, 2021
TheLoneCitizen:
Sadiq Umar is faaaaaasst!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psB4WR61tJs

Doesn't look like he plans on slowing down anytime soon.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:33am On Aug 05, 2021
humility33:

You never can tell bro
Remember spurs once made such signings soldado and co after bale exit and fulhan too with nothing to show for it

Lol

Well Aston Villa has once spent 200 million on signings and ended up escaping relegation at the last day of the season at the epl ,I consider that a big failure then
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:34am On Aug 05, 2021
humility33:

Can't argue much with you because that Southgate na agbaya.... gernot rohr English nephew. But i dont agree with agree with that grealish is up to pedri potentials

Time will tell but my money is on Jack Grealish. I am expecting a huge leap in his performances and people criticizing us we just bought a SUPERSTAR. Let the season begin.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11009) (11010) (11011) (11012) (11013) (11014) (11015) ... (16250) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: johnjunior39(m), delana(m), Mujtahida, Bascovanveli2, dankorode(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.