Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,440 members, 7,850,541 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:43 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (112) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11865068 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) ... (16250) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:09pm On Oct 04, 2016
@bolded.... Chaiiiii.... Just see as Madam Safari don finish me..... See my life.... Looolllll

safarigirl:
when an argument spans 3 days, then someone should end it. Nobody posts birthday wishes past the actual birthday.

Tomorrow we'll start arguing that Ighalo is greater than Mikel because he scored goals to pull Watford out of Championship even though they were a shiiit team.

Sometimes you guys argue like women I swear.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Pavarotti: 12:16pm On Oct 04, 2016
Pavarotti:

Update on Eagles in camp

Alex iwobi Iheanacho in

http://www.soccerassembly.com/alex-iwobi-kelechi-iheancho-land-abuja-for-zambia-battle/

Update Mikel has Joined camp !
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:19pm On Oct 04, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

Looolllll..... I watched Yekini. I watched Kanu.... I watched all Yekini clips so no one should play that silly card of you are "too young to know" on me. Yes, I was born years after Yekini began... I was only 6yrs during his twilight national team years in 1998

I repeat..... Yekini isn't Nigeria's Finest ever. That's a fact. That's the truth. That's what the records state and no one can do anything about it.

Maybe you don't know what It means to have a heart condition and still shun out legendary performances and attain top accolades. You don't understand the odds against which Kanu strived to still achieve Greatness and Glory for Club and Country.

I made mention of Thompson Usiyen earlier on this debate. No one wanna look into it ba??

But I put it to you that Not even Yekini had a better goals ratio than Usiyen in the GreenANDWhite... 15 goals in 24 games vs 37 goals in 58 games.....

Usiyen had a short stint in Nigeria's colors and the NFA (now NFF) mis-management of situations at the time contributed to his short span with the Eagles. Legend has it that had he been around, Nigeria would have made the 1978 World Cup. He was a born goal-scorer and set NCAA goals records...

I AM NOT SAYING HE'S MORE THAN YEKINI IN OUR RANKINGS OF LEGENDS... But when it comes to goals, he edges Yekini. I may have been born in the early 90s (around 92) but I do know my history and I research a lot and watched lots of clips from the past.

So term me whatever you want... Looollll...

Indomie generation... loolll... Little kid...loollll... Whatever mehn... Lollll...

But the records are there and PUTTING ALL PARAMETERS AND PERSPECTIVES TOGETHER AS A WHOLE....... KANU RANKS AS NIGERIA'S FINEST AND GAVE US SOME OF OUR MANY BEAUTIFUL MEMORIES AS A FOOTBALLING NATION.

MIKEL IS NEXT.... ANOTHER IS FINIDI... YEKINI IS UP THERE IN NO.4... OKOCHA MAY HAVE LACKED MUCH CLUB SUCCESS BUT HE GOT TO BE NO.5.... HE GAVE US BLISS AS A NATION ALSO....

The records are everywhere.... Meanwhile, look up more on Usiyen before you make it look or sound like Yekini was the first authentic "super striker" we had... That title belongs to Usiyen.

Yekini's title is Greatest Striker in Nigeria's history coz he's nigeria's record goal scorer..... I doubt if he would have held such record had Usiyen played up to 50caps... smiley

I refuse to bash our legends. I am tempted to do so... But I just gotta put my points across without dimming the lights of any of them.

I have seen both Yekini and Kanu live at the National stadium.

Greatest striker in Nigerian history! shocked grin

That is just one of Yekini's Greatest attributes.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kilo4sure: 12:22pm On Oct 04, 2016
Pavarotti:

Update Mikel has Joined camp !
Honestly that mikel is a patriot. I believe he is only slightly fit especially from the uyo game, seeing how he was substituted, but he just wants to play.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:24pm On Oct 04, 2016
England Gang’ Hold Super Eagles Russia 2018 Fate

 4 Oct 2016
 Headlines, Nigerian Foreign Legion

By Sulaiman Alao:

In my previous article on this column, I warned Super Eagles boss Gernot Rohr not to bank on players’ motivation alone as Nigeria seek to clinch the sole ticket in Group B of the African World Cup qualification series ahead of rivals Cameroon, Algeria and Zambia towards Russia 2018. As the Super Eagles get set to kick-start their qualification bid with a trip to Zambia on October 9, I’m personally convinced that our qualification hopes will largely depend on the forms and feet of certain players who are all interestingly, plying their trades in the English Premier League. Simply put, Nigeria’s qualification fate appears to be resting on the shoulders of Mikel Obi, Victor Moses, Ahmed Musa, Alex Iwobi, Kelechi Iheanacho and Carl Ikeme, all of whom I refer to as the ‘England Gang’.

To emphasise the importance of the England Gang, all the eight players were named in the 23-man list released last week by Rohr for the forthcoming game against Zambia with the exclusion of Odion Ighalo who was granted permission to attend his father’s burial in Nigeria on the eve of the match in Ndola.

It is a positive coincidence for Nigeria to have most of her key players plying their football trade in the same country under the tutelage of some of the best managers in the world and coach Rohr will do well to take maximum advantage, by exploiting the close ties and EPL experiences of these players for the greater benefit of the Eagles.

The importance of the Eagles England Gang is further emphasized by the fact that four or five of these players, barring injuries, are guaranteed of picking the starting shirts whenever the Eagles assemble for a key game and we should not lose sight of the fact that the captain and the assistant captain of the team are also among this group of players. Rohr’s professionalism will be highly required here as the German tactician will need to manage the egos of these players as well as devising the right tactical formation to ensure they deliver for the Eagles. Of the players that make up the lot, Ikeme and Mikel have their work cut out distinctly with little or no competition as goalkeeper and midfielder. Moses and Musa are forwards with diverse abilities as they can operate from the flanks. Ighalo, Iheanacho and Success are all-out-strikers while Iwobi though a striker too, is best suited playing behind the strikers. Rohr must therefore ensure none of these players are played out of their desired positions, if the Eagles are to get the best of their services.

A closer look at the players that made up the England Gang reveals to a large extent, the fact that they are blessed with experience, skills and creativity that are capable of unlocking any defense and getting the much needed goals. The grit and resilience needed to give the team a solid balance will have to come from the rest of the players in the squad. Rohr therefore needs to build his team around the right combination of players from the England Gang and complement them with other players from the rest of the squad to get a balanced and solid team. How well he does this in his first crucial game against Zambia will go a long way to brighten or jeopardize our qualification chances for Russia 2018.

With Nigerians in ‘safe mode’ celebrating the nation’s 56th Independence anniversary, nothing short of Eagles victory against the Chipolopolos will suffice to put smiles on our faces and ease the tension of economic recession currently plaguing the country.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:26pm On Oct 04, 2016
Abeg... I just gotta post the news one of us cited... Looolllll... It's kinda hilarious and uhmm... Maybe they have "a point" or do they? Loolllll....

ZAMBIANS THROW SHADE ON NIGERIANS:
YOU ARE OVER RELIANT ON KIDS (IWOBI &
IHEANACHO)

Three highly respected Zambian journalist have
taken swipe at the Super Eagles of Nigeria ahead of Sunday’s World Cup 2018 qualifiers clash against the Chipolopolo in Ndola.

James Lungu told Owngoalnigeria.com that
Nigeria is no longer a force to be reckoned with in global football due to the dearth of quality
footballers in the country, unlike before.

” I heard Victor Moses is not playing, that is good news. Who do you have? Mikel? , he sits on the bench at Chelsea, the rest are average players, except Kelechi Iheanacho and Alex Iwobi. You don’t win games with kids” He said.

James Kennedy also shared same opinion as his
compatriot, insisting that Zambia have got more
experience in their team than Nigeria.

” We have players with more experience than you guys. Nigerians are quick to shout Iwobi. We see them on social media. Iheanacho, they are kids, am not sure they can cope with the demands of a World Cup qualifiers. You need experience in the African terrain to do that”. He concluded.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/10/04/zambians-throw-shade-on-nigerians-you-are-over-reliant-on-kids-iwobi-iheanacho/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:28pm On Oct 04, 2016
forgiveness:

Of course, he is a Arsenal Legend and that's all.

Now, I didn't say coming from the bench at Arsenal alone, I said he had always came from the te te. grin

At Ajax, he always came from the bench, at Inter Milan, he was a ball boy, at West Bromwich same thing, Portsmouth ko, same thing.

Point of correction, Victoria Setubal is the 4th most successful club in Portugal which was top 3 best leagues in the world as at that time grin.

Even doing it there without attachment is bigger bonus. grin

He won Bola de Prata ahead of Figo, Joao Pinto, Emil Kostadinov, Krasimir Balakov, Domingos Paciência,

Now, tell me, which Competition is the biggest UEFA Champions League or European Cup? grin

[size=14pt]Kanu Makes Greatest 100 Players List[/size]

Super Eagles striker Kanu Nwankwo has been voted as a member of the 100 greatest players ever club by the Association of Football Statisticians (AFS).

The Portsmouth striker was the only African player to make the list which was dominated by Brazilians and European players both past and present and headed by Edson Arantes do Nascimento popularly known as Pele and Diego Armando Maradona.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200711120538.html

You can argue as much as you like. The Association of Football Statisticians placed Kanu as one of the top 100 back in 2007. Yekini did not make it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:28pm On Oct 04, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
@bolded.... Chaiiiii.... Just see as Madam Safari don finish me..... See my life.... Looolllll

honestly, I used to think only women argue without direction, but this thread has changed my views.

The original argument here was whether Mikel belonged in the top 5 greatest Nigerian footballers. Some clowns managed to list a Top 10 without adding Mikel because they're biased as hell.

Suddenly, it became a Yekini vs Kanu battle, Jollof rice may not be many people's number 1 delicacy in Nigeria, but how does that stop it's international recognition? Many people hate pounded yam and egusi, but it is listed as our National food.

I don't know if I'm making sense, but if one person thinks Kanu is the greatest, it doesn't mean another person doesn't have the right to refute that claim irrespective of how 'illogical' his arguments may seem to #TeamKanu.

So, you may think Nigeria's best food is Garri because na that one dey help people life pass, but it won't change the fact that it is jollof rice the international community recognises, and the international community won't know that na Garri be the koko for here.

I don't know if I've made sense, y'all need to stop with the dick measurements here, it's not sexy

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:40pm On Oct 04, 2016
Looooolllllllll..... I get you Safarisweetie.... I get you... Looolllll... Abeg no vex... Looollll

Honestly, you're right na Mikel be the original debate ooo... But as you know naa.. E get people for here wey sabi change direction of debate effortlessly and yep... I decided to flow with them even though I initially didn't want to..... Loolllll

It's been a while I debated like this. I try to avoid long "endless" debates but mehn... Some people just won't let it go and will always say something which you just gotta come clarify... Lollll... But it was kinda fun shaa and yep, admittedly irritating to some...... smiley

Abeg her royal highness of the Sports section... No vex abeg... It's just one of those "thread moments"... Looollll

Your Jollof rice/Garri analogy make sense die... Looolllll...

And uhmmm.... @bolded... *lips sealed* (I know it's figurative but uhmm.....)

safarigirl:
honestly, I used to think only women argue without direction, but this thread has changed my views.

The original argument here was whether Mikel belonged in the top 5 greatest Nigerian footballers. Some clowns managed to list a Top 10 without adding Mikel because they're biased as hell.

Suddenly, it became a Yekini vs Kanu battle, Jollof rice may not be many people's number 1 delicacy in Nigeria, but how does that stop it's international recognition? Many people hate pounded yam and egusi, but it is listed as our National food.

I don't know if I'm making sense, but if one person thinks Kanu is the greatest, it doesn't mean another person doesn't have the right to refute that claim irrespective of how 'illogical' his arguments may seem to #TeamKanu.

So, you may think Nigeria's best food is Garri because na that one dey help people life pass, but it won't change the fact that it is jollof rice the international community recognises, and the international community won't know that na Garri be the koko for here.

I don't know if I've made sense, y'all need to stop with the dick measurements here, it's not sexy

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:42pm On Oct 04, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Looolllll..... I watched Yekini. I watched Kanu.... I watched all Yekini clips so no one should play that silly card of you are "too young to know" on me. Yes, I was born years after Yekini began... I was only 6yrs during his twilight national team years in 1998

This explains it.. you were just 6 in 1998.. You did not watch Yekini. You grew up with Kanu.

The man was prolific at his prime. Have you ever been sure that a Nigerian striker will score in a game? That was yekini.

Kanu and Okocha will win popularity contests because they played in a different time
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:45pm On Oct 04, 2016
safarigirl:

So funny that u just finding out men like to argue.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:47pm On Oct 04, 2016
Loolllll.... I knew people will pick on this. It's always a cop-out to discredit my points... Loolll..

But I have been harping on Thompson Usiyen... (He was before Yekini sef)

What about that?? smiley

tbaba1234:

This explains it.. you were just 6 in 1998.. You did not watch Yekini. You grew up with Kanu.

The man was prolific at his prime. Have you ever been sure that a Nigerian striker will score in a game? That was yekini.

Kanu and Okocha will win popularity contests because they played in a different time

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by profmathsland(m): 12:54pm On Oct 04, 2016
forgiveness:

I have seen both Yekini and Kanu live at the National stadium.

Greatest striker in Nigerian history! shocked grin

That is just one of Yekini's Greatest attributes.

Please I have a clarification to make concerning Thompson Usiyen, he actually scored 14 goals in 24 appearances meaning he has a goal ratio of 0.54.Rashidi Yekini 's goal ratio stands at 0.64.This means that Usiyen has a better goal scoring average than Yekini. I know people will bring arguments on this but when we are talking about the best striker in Nigeria the goal ratio is a huge criteria for this but we should also not forget the individual 's contributions to the team as well. Let our arguments be healthy from now onwards.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:55pm On Oct 04, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Loolllll.... I knew people will pick on this. It's always a cop-out to discredit my points... Loolll..

But I have harping on Thompson Usiyen...

What about that?? smiley

I did not watch Usiyen but i watched yekini at his prime, not clips. I also watched Kanu's whole career. i believe Yekini should be top three easily.

I think, the challenge is comparing different eras.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:07pm On Oct 04, 2016
I watched few clips of Usiyen. I watched several full videos and many clips of Yekini. And I watched videos, highlights, clips of Kanu and saw him play also (watching him live was predominant).

So you're right, I didn't watch "Yeking" live....

And yeah the challenge is comparing different eras. But all the same, Records-wise provided all other factors are constant... We know who tops our legends rankings.

Lemme drop someone's opinion on Usiyen.... (Someone who actually saw him play)...

Ex players are usually more known by the younger generation when they stick around in Nigeria and continue to make themselves relevant in some shape or form. E.g. Chukwu, Odegbami, (both legends as players), but continued to either coach, be involved in the game either through media, administration, etc. Usiyen moved to the US.

To those who think it is fair to compare him with Yekini, it can only be b/c you didn’t watch Usiyen play. Usiyen was a more complete footballer than Yekini. He could do things with a ball that Yekini couldn’t even imagine. When Yekini first appeared on the scene around the mid 80s, he was so clumsy on the ball, couldn’t trap a bag of cement, and was more about strength and a bulala of a shot. In later years, he would cement himself as our Number 1 striker, but it took a while for him to do this. Yeah, he scored a lot of goals for us, but was never convincing as a clinical finisher. I think Yekini’s rep is more about our shortage of quality strikers than his ability.

Usiyen, on the other hand, was a certified baller. While a striker should be judged by his goals ratio, greatness is about your all-round game. This is why someone like Gary Lineker was a good finisher for England, but very few would call him a great player. While Marco Van Basten for e.g. was pure greatness. Usiyen was that type of striker – a finisher who could embarrass defenders with silky skills.

I extracted it from one of the analysts on cybereagles forum. smiley

tbaba1234:

I did not watch Usiyen but i watched yekini at his prime, not clips. I also watched Kanu's whole career. i believe Yekini should be top three easily.

I think, the challenge is comparing different eras.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:11pm On Oct 04, 2016
Wow! ProfMathsland in the building!!!! smiley

I see you Big Bro. smiley

profmathsland:

Please I have a clarification to make concerning Thompson Usiyen, he actually scored 14 goals in 24 appearances meaning he has a goal ratio of 0.54.Rashidi Yekini 's goal ratio stands at 0.64.This means that Usiyen has a better goal scoring average than Yekini. I know people will bring arguments on this but when we are talking about the best striker in Nigeria the goal ratio is a huge criteria for this but we should also not forget the individual 's contributions to the team as well. Let our arguments be healthy from now onwards.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 1:21pm On Oct 04, 2016
profmathsland:

Did you read what you wrote? How is 0.54 greater than 0.64? What you gave shows that Yekini is a more prolific striker.

Also, please provide source of your stat. Where did you get 14 goals in 24 matches from?

People also forget that it's not just about goals. All goals are not created equal. Aguero's goal against QPR is more important than Kelechi's goal against Gladbach. Yekini scored very important goals. In AFCON 1994, his goals were so important that he was named the best player of the tournament. His goals qualified us for Nigeria's first ever World Cup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:23pm On Oct 04, 2016
phamarsenal:
yekini or KANU won't help us qualify for d world cup in Russia, lets live DAT issue and discuss abt d showdown DAT is going to take place in zambia , I read an article by a Zambian journalist insisting DAT we re dependent on kids ( iwobi and iheanacho), DAT dey lack d experience at d international stage. DAT statement made me rethink, because honestly d amount of pressure we re mounting on their young shoulders is immense and I just hope dey don't allow d pressure get d best of dem on Sunday. All in all I wish d super eagles success and luck on Sunday

It is very good they underestimate our kids before the start of the match. That is an added advantage.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 1:30pm On Oct 04, 2016
The garri and jollof rice angle from safarigirl is the conclusion of the whole debate. One a local champion, the other a world recognize champion

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:36pm On Oct 04, 2016
Uhmmm.... He missed a goal. It's 15 goals in 24 apps. (0.58) I have already stated that before.....

Yekini's is 37 goals in 58 apps... (0.64)

Had Usiyen played at least 50 games.... Yekini won't hold the record.

Usiyen was Nigeria's first authentic Super Striker not Yekini.

At USA 94, where were Yekini's goals?? He wasn't even our stand-out performer at the two world cups he played in.

Kanu also scored important earth-shaking goals for Nigeria. Atlanta 96 comes to mind.

He also gave the killer pass to Utaka for that famous win over Cameroun at Afcon 2004 to break Cameroun's hoodoo over Nigeria at the Afcon. We can go on and on... But Kanu takes it.

joseph1013:
Did you read what you wrote? How is 0.54 greater than 0.64? What you gave shows that Yekini is a more prolific striker.

Also, please provide source of your stat. Where did you get 14 goals in 24 matches from?

People also forget that it's not just about goals. All goals are not created equal. Aguero's goal against QPR is more important than Kelechi's goal against Gladbach. Yekini scored very important goals. In AFCON 1994, his goals were so important that he was named the best player of the tournament. His goals qualified us for Nigeria's first ever World Cup.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:37pm On Oct 04, 2016
You are on point. You got the subtle logic but there's more.... smiley

zicky:
The garri and jollof rice angle from safarigirl is the conclusion of the whole debate. One a local champion, the other a world recognize champion

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 1:49pm On Oct 04, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Uhmmm.... He missed a goal. It's 15 goals in 24 apps. (0.58) I have already stated that before.....

Yekini's is 37 goals in 58 apps... (0.64)

Had Usiyen played at least 50 games.... Yekini won't hold the record.

Usiyen was Nigeria's first authentic Super Striker not Yekini.

At USA 94, where were Yekini's goals?? He wasn't even our stand-out performer at the two world cups he played in.

Kanu also scored important earth-shaking goals for Nigeria. Atlanta 96 comes to mind.

He also gave the killer pass to Utaka for that famous win over Cameroun at Afcon 2004 to break Cameroun's hoodoo over Nigeria at the Afcon. We can go on and on... But Kanu takes it.

You don't know that. That's not how football works. You are judged based on what you achieved not on what you would have achieved. If Yekini had played only 32 games for Setubal scoring 34 goals and retired, someone like you would have said that if he had not retired, he would have scored more than 120 goals in 114 appearances based on his 1.06 goals per game (34/32). You see the fallacy in that?

I also asked where y'all are bringing these stats from, no one has answered. Is there any authentic source for these information? Someone said 14 goals, another said 15...tomorrow, another person would say 24. Where is the authorative source for Usiyan's goals? We have documented sources about Yekini's goals.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:00pm On Oct 04, 2016
I already said in a post to Forgiveness that it's been long I researched this. But I am certain of it.

Records from Usiyen's era are not so easy to come by.

In the earlier part of this debate... So you didn't see where Sir Bascovanveli said,

"Would Yekini have won an U-17 wc like Kanu if given the chance? "Maybe"

Olympic gold nko if picked? Maybe..."

I said nothing to that but kept it at the back of my head. I saw it as a kinda prognosis even though it never happened and can't happen again.

No one picked on it.

And yes we can prognose statistically in soccer.... Usiyen's goal-rush back then was legendary. Too bad he didn't last in the national team... Check out his scoring records in the US after he left the national team due to certain issues with the then NFA... NCAA records and the likes.... These were back in the days.

I also placed an opinion of one who actually watched Usiyen. Maybe we should all go interview more figures from usiyen's era to make it more balanced coz I don't even expect you guys to take the "extracted" account I dropped seriously.

joseph1013:
You don't know that. That's not how football works. You are judged based on what you achieved not on what you would have achieved. If Yekini had played only 32 games for Setubal scoring 34 goals and retired, someone like you would have said that if he had not retired, he would have scored more than 120 goals in 114 appearances. You see the fallacy in that?

I also asked where y'all are bringing these stats from, no one has answered. Is there any authentic source for these information? Someone said 14 goals, another said 15...tomorrow, another person would say 24. Where is the authorative source for Usiyan's goals? We have documented sources about Yekini's goals.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maputohq: 2:03pm On Oct 04, 2016
kilo4sure:

Honestly that mikel is a patriot. I believe he is only slightly fit especially from the uyo game, seeing how he was substituted, but he just wants to play.
The guy is now matured unlike while he was younger. We so much need his experience.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 2:11pm On Oct 04, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
I already said in a post to Forgiveness that it's been long I researched this. But I am certain of it.

Records from Usiyen's era are not so easy to come by.

In the earlier part of this debate... So you didn't see where Sir Bascovanveli said,

"Would Yekini have won an U-17 wc like Kanu if given the chance? "Maybe"

Olympic gold nko if picked? Maybe..."

I said nothing to that but kept it at the back of my head. I saw it as a kinda prognosis even though it never happened and can't happen again.

No one picked on it.

And yes we can prognose statistically in soccer.... Usiyen's goal-rush back then was legendary. Too bad he didn't last in the national team... Check out his scoring records in the US after he left the national team due to certain issues with the then NFA... NCAA records and the likes.... These were back in the days.

I also placed an opinion of one who actually watched Usiyen. Maybe we should all go interview more figures from usiyen's era to make it more balanced coz I don't even expect you guys to take the "extracted" account I dropped seriously.

Any claim that cannot be backed cannot be admitted. We can only have a discussion on what we can prove. That Basco made a similar point does not mean it's admissible. We can take those claims serious only when we see evidence.

NCAA was a backwater league in those days. You can't see a player scoring goals for fun in the Indian league and say he's better than Griezman.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:12pm On Oct 04, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

[size=14pt]Kanu Makes Greatest 100 Players List[/size]

Super Eagles striker Kanu Nwankwo has been voted as a member of the 100 greatest players ever club by the Association of Football Statisticians (AFS).

The Portsmouth striker was the only African player to make the list which was dominated by Brazilians and European players both past and present and headed by Edson Arantes do Nascimento popularly known as Pele and Diego Armando Maradona.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200711120538.html

You can argue as much as you like. The Association of Football Statisticians placed Kanu as one of the top 100 back in 2007. Yekini did not make it.

Europeans telling African man em Football history without Roger Milla, Abedi Pele, Raber Madjar, Rashidi Yekini, Hossan Hassan etc grin Chai!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 2:14pm On Oct 04, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
*Yawns* no need for the long epistle..... wink

You can't change what history has put down. Kanu is Nigeria's No.1 Finest of all time. Loollll.... I didn't make it so... smiley It is just what it is... smiley

Tu comprends?? wink

Note:

- @first bolded.... I was not afraid to say a name. Nigeria's finest striker or Nigeria's finest defender are all different from Nigeria's finest player ever putting all parameters together. Period!

- @second bolded... Stop playing the "pioneer" card... Even today, there's still discrimination against blacks in football. Today, it still takes Hardwork, Awesome effort and stand-out talent to stand in the league of "World-Class".

- @third bolded.... Yekini and Keshi are Truly African legends. Who says they aren't?? Using "Proper" shows disrespect for what Kanu, Eto'o, Finidi and a couple more achieved. So these are "improper" African legends abi?? Looollllll.... Na wa oooo....

- Finally, if a kid searches on Google and this page comes up. HE WILL SEE THE TRUTH. He will understand that These legends all have their place in History's Hall of Fame. And he will see that it is not out of place for him as a kid to say, "I wanna be greater than the former.... I wanna outshine the finest that ever was". HE WILL SEE THAT NO MATTER WHAT PEOPLE OF THE PAST HAD ACHIEVED IN WHATEVER FIELD, HE TOO CAN DO IT AND EVEN SURPASS IT.... HE WILL UNDERSTAND THAT YOU MUST NOT BE A "PIONEER" BORN IN THE 80s or 70s to be regarded as THE GREATEST. smiley THAT KID WILL BE ABLE TO DREAM AND ACTUALLY THINK HE CAN BECOME THE GREATEST EVER.

But ofcourse, HE WON'T LOSE THAT SENSE OF APPRECIATION FOR THE LEGENDS OF THE PAST AND MORE.

That Kid will only see the Truth. Not watered down facts and sentimental comments coz of attachments to the past.

I added "these notes" for the sake of posterity also and especially for "that kid" that will surely show up. smiley

This argument is going way out of line and quite nonsensical. Do you think you love Kanu more than me?
I have no problem if you think he is the greatest Nigerian export. But driving home your argument while making back hand compliments against Keshi and Yekini like the rubbish "top ten sef" snide remarks is something I take exception to.
I can see you lots are already saying Yekini is a local champion. A man whose record has yet to be matched. Nigeria's first APOTY.
It's like a French man calling Michelle Platini a local champion to drive home how much he adores Zidane.

What exactly is wrong with you guys?

You can continue belittling Yekini's achievement and make jest of his record, but I promise you , as you get older and develop more in your though process, you will realise how way out of line you gave gone in putting Yekini down just to win an argument online.
Am done with this gutter argument

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:17pm On Oct 04, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
I watched few clips of Usiyen. I watched several full videos and many clips of Yekini. And I watched videos, highlights, clips of Kanu and saw him play also (watching him live was predominant).

So you're right, I didn't watch "Yeking" live....

And yeah the challenge is comparing different eras. But all the same, Records-wise provided all other factors are constant... We know who tops our legends rankings.

Lemme drop someone's opinion on Usiyen.... (Someone who actually saw him play)...

I extracted it from one of the analysts on cybereagles forum. smiley

I did not watch Usiyen so i can't really judge his talent but as regards yekini, Drogba is the only recent player, i can compare him to.. Many people underrated his ability at his time too, he was seen more as a finisher but his link -up play and movement were sublime.

We had strikers like Efan Ekoku and later on Chris Ohenhen, who were doing well in England and spain but could not displace yekini. With Yekini's conversion rate, we did not even need another striker.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:24pm On Oct 04, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Yekini's record will be broken. And we all shall witness it.... Another golden generation rises and that is what this thread is all about.

Madam Safari.... Pls pardon me. I try to keep all things connected to this thread but sometimes the "elders" in the house just make one digress a little... Lolll...

Iheanacho, Osimhen, Sadiq Umar.... Etc... One of them must shatter that record. It's because it has stood for too long a time... That's what is making it look more special than it actually is.

I wonder what we all will call the man who scores 38 goals for Nigeria... Loollll.... "Nigeria's finest" abi?... Looolll.... (But yeah..if that man is Iheanacho or Osimhen or one of the other Rising Golden boys for Nigeria's Golden Generation NEXT.... Why not abi?? Loollll ) wink

Point of correction, records not record.

In addition to his records, he is the all time 3rd highest goal scorer in the history of African Cup of Nations. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:25pm On Oct 04, 2016
Ohhhh so now... The NCAA and US was backwater huh?? From back in the days? Looolll...

Pele played in the US you know, wink in his twilight years.... smiley

It's not my fault the internet is devoid of clear citations for Usiyen's goals. Even wikipedia puts it as 14 goals now... A former thread on NL in 2012 with citation put it as 15 goals...

Here it is: https://www.nairaland.com/1074465/super-eagles-all-time-highest-goal

The records are a bit sketchy but I know when I researched it, it was indeed 15 goals in 24 matches.

It's not easy getting records from the 70s... Even the NFF no dey help matters.

So based on his records, the clips I saw and his records in the US.... Usiyen was a super striker.

Even someone's opinion( someone who watched him play) says it all...

Like I said earlier... Check out more on Usiyen for yourself... History shouldn't be one-sided... Look from all perspectives... smiley

joseph1013:
Any claim that cannot be backed cannot be admitted. We can only have a discussion on what we can prove. That Basco made a similar point does not mean it's admissible.

NCAA was a backwater league in those days. You can't see a player scoring goals for fun in the Indian league and say he's better than Griezman.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:27pm On Oct 04, 2016
I wonder why he scored only one goal at the world cup. So much for being prolific. Looolllll

Sorry, it's just a banter... wink

forgiveness:

Point of correction, records not record.

In addition to his records, he is the all time 3rd highest goal scorer in the history of African Cup of Nations. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:31pm On Oct 04, 2016
I think the name "Richard Owubokiri" rung a bell kinda in Yekini's era. But yep.. No way he too could trump Yekini.

But Usiyen?? Mehn!!! Sir, You need to research a bit more on him too... smiley

tbaba1234:

I did not watch Usiyen so i can't really judge his talent but as regards yekini, Drogba is the only recent player, i can compare him to.. Many people underrated his ability at his time too, he was seen more as a finisher but his link -up play and movement were sublime.

We had strikers like Efan Ekoku and later on Chris Ohenhen, who were doing well in England and spain but could not displace yekini. With Yekini's conversion rate, we did not even need another striker.

(1) (2) (3) ... (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) ... (16250) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Philosopher1979 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.