Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,067 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11326) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11653569 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11323) (11324) (11325) (11326) (11327) (11328) (11329) ... (16147) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nostradamus1: 7:09am On Oct 08, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Please tell me the better player Rohr has scouted that you will put above Ndidi, Osimhen, Chukwueze and Iheanacho. Keep in mind Amunike was part of the coaching team that brought both U17 winning teams.
Who gave most of this players there first cap when some where struggling. Who made them the back bone of his team.

Akpoguma ( our ball playing fb according to someone)
Dessers
Sanusi
And others u know.

Are we going to start comparing talents scouted? No
Simply proove that if Findi is employed , he won't employ Onobi to bench Osihmen

Or chuikiatra

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nostradamus1: 7:12am On Oct 08, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

That is why I find it annoying when you guys say Rohr has taking us to the Moon when he lacks the essentials of scouting and building a platform. I can bet if Siasia, Amunike or Finidi were handling this crop of boys, they would have developed the team after years to know how to build from the back.
When did this crop of boys become fully available that they would have turned them in previous years to world beaters? Osihmen became a first 11 player last year. Nacho got a breath of life this year. Kali is struggling for years and got his debut under Rohr.

What u don't know , is that if Amunike is made coach, na Enyimba and Qatar players that will be invited. Just forget about capping Ekong. And they will continue capping Musa because of federal power
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:12am On Oct 08, 2021
Nostradamus1:
Who gave most of this players there first cap when some where struggling. Who made them the back bone of his team.

Akpoguma ( our ball playing fb according to someone)
Dessers
Sanusi
And others u know.

Are we going to start comparing talents scouted? No
Simply proove that if Findi is employed , he won't employ Onobi to bench Osihmen

Or chuikiatra

All this one you are talking is long story. We could not play decent football against a team with a history of losing and you are talking employ Onobi.

You are talking of player selection when Rohr went to use the services of a man that has no football history as his chief scout.

Just leave that man. The team is lost tactically. Now we can not play Central African Republic. Let the man go back and pack bus. That is the only way out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 7:14am On Oct 08, 2021
Nostradamus1:

In your head only

Not like any of their citizens care
Not until I use a product made in Central Africa Republic though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nostradamus1: 7:15am On Oct 08, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Stop playing with yourself. Please, Manchester United builds from the back. You can hardly find a team in England, even Norwich that can't build from the back. There is a reason why it is called modern football. It is now adopted by most teams
Modern football is not building from back. It is nearly a Spanish and Netherland history. That top teams use it today doesn't make it the standards.

I would like u to ask this question on Reddit Tactics Thursday so that you will get more clearer examples
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:15am On Oct 08, 2021
Nostradamus1:

When did this crop of boys become fully available that they would have turned them in previous years to world beaters? Osihmen became a first 11 player last year. Nacho got a breath of life this year. Kali is struggling for years and got his debut under Rohr.

What u don't know , is that if Amunike is made coach, na Enyimba and Qatar players that will be invited. Just forget about capping Ekong. And they will continue capping Musa because of federal power

It has nothing to do with Rohr. The reason why Osimhen is playing is inspite of Rohr. Rohr dropped him from the team when he was having challenges because he lacks ideas about player development.

Dropped Iheanacho when he was struggling with poor treatment from Rodgers. When our players are down, Rohr tramples on them to destroy them.

These players fought without the support of Rohr. When they started doing well, Rohr will bring them to the team.

Then you want to praise him for that. Ka.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nostradamus1: 7:18am On Oct 08, 2021
Barryseal:

Not until I use a product made in Central Africa Republic though.
Have u used a product made in Kuwait? Or Bahrain or Brunei

I mean even CAR has more exports percent than Brazil.
They simply expect the same thing ur dear country and other African countries export
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nostradamus1: 7:19am On Oct 08, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

It has nothing to do with Rohr. The reason why Osimhen is playing is inspite of Rohr. Rohr dropped him from the team when he was having challenges because he lacks ideas about player development.

Dropped Iheanacho when he was struggling with poor treatment from Rodgers. When our players are down, Rohr tramples on them to destroy them.

These players fought without the support of Rohr. When they started doing well, Rohr will bring them to the team.

Then you want to praise him for that. Ka.
You all have started.

Today he is a man manager, tomorrow, he destroy players.

Stay one place.

Is the National team a rehabilitation centre?

I have screenshotted ur previous statements and I am waiting
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nostradamus1: 7:20am On Oct 08, 2021
Meliforme:

The players will play according to instructions.
And the instruction is don't use your talent, play like headless chicken?

Even you will ignore that instruction if it comes from your parents
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nostradamus1: 7:21am On Oct 08, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

The only reason why I am opening blogs because you are arguing basic knowledge. When I watch teams, the first thing I want to see is how comfortable they are building from the back. Italy does it brilliantly. A big key is midfield movement to work with defenders.

[b]Solksjaer has been doing it since Cardiff. You can't say Solksjaer can't build from the back. [/b]Italy with Veratti and Jorginho can't build from the back. What are you saying? You are so off.

Just learn and move on.
Sorry

I no do again
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nostradamus1: 7:23am On Oct 08, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Build-up and General Offensive Principles

When building out the back, United have a wider range of variations compared to last season. For instance, Aaron Wan-Bissaka is more often used as a third centre back than last season in order to mask his flaws going forward (we shall speak about this again later on in this piece).

I took an example from the game against West Bromwich Albion. United formed a back three with Wan-Bissaka as the third centre back while Juan Mata provided a passing lane by dropping in United’s half. Now that Nemanja Matić has dropped deeper, Wan-Bissaka can take a higher position which pushes Mata further up the pitch and inside.

https://breakingthelines.com/tactical-analysis/tactical-analysis-manchester-uniteds-first-half-of-the-2020-21-season/
Glad u used one game that Mata and matic started and it was not from last season
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:23am On Oct 08, 2021
Nostradamus1:
Modern football is not building from back. It is nearly a Spanish and Netherland history. That top teams use it today doesn't make it the standards.

I would like u to ask this question on Reddit Tactics Thursday so that you will get more clearer examples

Modern football is applied by lots of teams. Not only top teams. In England, Swansea, Derby, Bournemouth and a host of others. Watch the likes of Aston Villa, Newcastle and you see the adoption of modern strategies.

No one on Reddit can start teaching me about it. I was an Ajax fan when Finidi George was playing there. I started watching it from Van Gaal.

I was supporting Guardiola to take over from Rijkaard when he was in Barca B. That is because his philosophy matches my soul.

Lineker wrote: "I’ll say it for him. He’s had, arguably, the most positive influence of anyone, ever on our game."

One fan then replied pleading the case of Ferguson, with Lineker replying: "Total respect for Sir Alex’s achievements, and, of course, he’s the most successful, but that’s an entirely different thing. Guardiola has changed the way we play/think about the game. From our obsession with direct play to total football...and they said it couldn’t be done."

There is now an obsessive drive to play football in the modern way. It goes from Spain, Germany, England, Italy. I don't need reddit to know what I can clearly see and explain.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 7:30am On Oct 08, 2021
kingphilip:
Are the CARians that beat us top tier?

Or of you were a bettor who wasn't a citizen of Nigeria considering the two teams you would have chosen C.A.R. to win?

We aren't saying our players are top tier, we are only saying we should be seeing off these lesser teams at least and be able to hold our own against at least the African so called powerhouses in football or is that too much to ask?

In all honesty I love this your reply so much I can’t bad mouth it no cap.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:32am On Oct 08, 2021
Nostradamus1:
Glad u used one game that Mata and matic started and it was not from last season

UNITED BRIEFING: WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER

byJoe GanleyMonday 22 March 2021 09:00Share With twitterShare With facebook
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer refused to condemn his players for the mistakes made in Sunday’s 3-1 defeat to Leicester City, insisting that the team and staff would share responsibility for the loss.

United would have expected to defend each of the Foxes’ three goals better and the first, scored by Kelechi Iheanacho, arrived following a mistake in the Reds’ build-up play on the edge of our own box.

But the Norwegian said he would not blame the players for mistakes made while playing the ball out from the back – not when the approach has worked well for us in the past.

We want them to build from the back,” emphasised Solskjaer. “I think we’ve been really solid, we’ve been really good and we’ve built a foundation to play from with what we’ve done.

“Of course, sometimes it goes wrong, but that’s acceptable. Everyone can make a mistake. We win together and we lose together: as a team.”

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/united-briefing-monday-22-march-2021-solskjaer-says-we-win-and-lose-together

Just know Solksjaer philosophy emphasizes building from the back.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by temi1290: 7:33am On Oct 08, 2021
Subzero047:

Are you trying to compare it to Champions league pitches? That pitch was good and is no excuse for our horrible play abeg

Definitely not an excuse but for a country of Nigeria's level.You call it champions league pitches like sa doesn't use such wc pitch.

Well like I said before, the coach is below poor, the players are below poor, the pitch is below poor, the country is finished.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:35am On Oct 08, 2021
That is why yesterday's match gave me an eyesore. Any eye doctor in the house?

We were atrocious tactically when it came to midfield movement to build from the back. Against a team who are known to lose.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:43am On Oct 08, 2021
How can you have a team that boats of talented players littered all around europe and still lack creative midfielders which is the most important department for any team/coach that wants to succeed.

And to know that NFF has no thoughts of sacking this crap of a coach is even more infuriating.

Really bad.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 7:53am On Oct 08, 2021
grin grin grin
I like it how the misery here has been compounded by CAR. No more talks of Monsters and Monster drinks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z52-lIZMbQ

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 8:01am On Oct 08, 2021
gustav25:
grin grin grin
I like it how the misery here has been compounded by CAR. No more talks of Monsters and Monster drinks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z52-lIZMbQ
grin

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:04am On Oct 08, 2021
I will use a quote from Guardiola on Brighton's manager, Graham Potter, to highlight what should have happened to our team over the years.
To quote Guardiola: “The quality they have, they show it. They have good players, good build-up. Every pass makes sense. Their movement between the lines up-front makes sense. Every player is in his position to get the ball and be free.”
Breakdown:

Good player selection: you need to have a philosophy for the team. Then keep building over time to have quality players in each position. After so many years, we are still lacking in this area and we just make wild selections from players gaining traction in their clubs. No philosophy-based selection.

Good build-up: this by now should be key in our play because of the massive adoption of good football play in the world today. It was astonishing to find that at this level (pardon me, Rohr's footie made me stop watching our team) we can't string intelligent passes from the back to draw our opponents off-position to create gaps for our offensive midfield and forwards to exploit.

Sensible passing: On numerous occasions yesterday I saw our players make passes that made no sense. A lot of thoughtless long balls. Time to pass to defenders who are in space and our players chose to pass to tight areas etc.

Forward between-the-lines movement: Due to our poor build-up play and thoughtless passes, our players did not have lanes to exploit. Another issue was supporting movements for players with the ball in the offensive third. There were times that was totally non-existent.

off-the-ball movement: movement was directionless a lot of times. This is something that should have become ingrain in our players. To the point, every player should know his movement choices as soon as a player holds the ball.

We are missing out a lot and it is unfortunate, after so many years, it seems we are still at the beginning of building the team's tactical play. I hope it changes soon because yesterday was terrible.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lloydtruth: 8:18am On Oct 08, 2021
I woke up this morning and unfortunately Genet Rohr is still the coach of the Super Eagles. Egypt and Ghana are actually stupid Nation according to the NFF.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dammywapes(m): 8:19am On Oct 08, 2021
Same Newcastle under bruce build from the back against which team? grin is just like saying burnley build from the back to..
TheGoodJoe:

Modern football is applied by lots of teams. Not only top teams. In England, Swansea, Derby, Bournemouth and a host of others. Watch the likes of Aston Villa, Newcastle and you see the adoption of modern strategies.

No one on Reddit can start teaching me about it. I was an Ajax fan when Finidi George was playing there. I started watching it from Van Gaal.

I was supporting Guardiola to take over from Rijkaard when he was in Barca B. That is because his philosophy matches my soul.

Lineker wrote: "I’ll say it for him. He’s had, arguably, the most positive influence of anyone, ever on our game."

One fan then replied pleading the case of Ferguson, with Lineker replying: "Total respect for Sir Alex’s achievements, and, of course, he’s the most successful, but that’s an entirely different thing. Guardiola has changed the way we play/think about the game. From our obsession with direct play to total football...and they said it couldn’t be done."

There is now an obsessive drive to play football in the modern way. It goes from Spain, Germany, England, Italy. I don't need reddit to know what I can clearly see and explain.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dammywapes(m): 8:22am On Oct 08, 2021
True that Brighton is one of the team that build from the back they have players to carry that out...
TheGoodJoe:
I will use a quote from Guardiola on Brighton's manager, Graham Potter, to highlight what should have happened to our team over the years.
To quote Guardiola: “The quality they have, they show it. They have good players, good build-up. Every pass makes sense. Their movement between the lines up-front makes sense. Every player is in his position to get the ball and be free.”
Breakdown:

Good player selection: you need to have a philosophy for the team. Then keep building over time to have quality players in each position. After so many years, we are still lacking in this area and we just make wild selections from players gaining traction in their clubs. No philosophy-based selection.

Good build-up: this by now should be key in our play because of the massive adoption of good football play in the world today. It was astonishing to find that at this level (pardon me, Rohr's footie made me stop watching our team) we can't string intelligent passes from the back to draw our opponents off-position to create gaps for our offensive midfield and forwards to exploit.

Sensible passing: On numerous occasions yesterday I saw our players make passes that made no sense. A lot of thoughtless long balls. Time to pass to defenders who are in space and our players chose to pass to tight areas etc.

Forward between-the-lines movement: Due to our poor build-up play and thoughtless passes, our players did not have lanes to exploit. Another issue was supporting movements for players with the ball in the offensive third. There were times that was totally non-existent.

off-the-ball movement: movement was directionless a lot of times. This is something that should have become ingrain in our players. To the point, every player should know his movement choices as soon as a player holds the ball.

We are missing out a lot and it is unfortunate, after so many years, it seems we are still at the beginning of building the team's tactical play. I hope it changes soon because yesterday was terrible.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 8:25am On Oct 08, 2021
That game cost me 137 dollars in winnings.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kentebemoney: 8:31am On Oct 08, 2021
Nostradamus1:
Balls to tell them.

Those tactics could have worked with better execution. The plan was to use long balls and throwings to the winger to upend their low block . sadly, we didn't have people like VVD who do it for Liverpool.

We sadly forget that top team struggle to score against low blocks so u need long passes to ur forward. If it was not working , what were u expecting from Rohr to do next considering the absence of quality AM?

He did the reasonable thing by bringing in attacker who can create in Musa. That it didn't work out is not due to any RoHr tactical inefficiency
Very on point.
But i think Nwakali should get a look in.
He (nwakali) does not have to be exceptional
For club, after all na division 4 player score for CAR.
Lot's of african teams will play a low block and counter against us, we need a DLP that can give line breaking pass from deep(assist before the assist).

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:34am On Oct 08, 2021
dammywapes:
Same Newcastle under bruce build from the back against which team? grin is just like saying burnley build from the back to..

Try watching. Your eyes will shock. Even mediocre teams now are making adjustments. These are things I watch and get baffled. Go and watch EFL games, you will see Championship and League One teams showing adaptation to modern football playing styles.

Note, adaptation is not a total playing strategy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lloydtruth: 8:36am On Oct 08, 2021
The Nigeria vs CAR match should be investigated for match-fixing.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joxxy01(m): 8:37am On Oct 08, 2021
I am just imagining a certain jamilu colins against mbape or benzema against ekong.. Hmmmmn

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:38am On Oct 08, 2021
kentebemoney:

Very on point.
But i think Nwakali should get a look in.
He (nwakali) does not have to be exceptional
For club, after all na division 4 player score for CAR.
Lot's of african teams will play a low block and counter against us, we need a DLP that can give line breaking pass from deep(assist before the assist).

So if a team decides to play with a low block, do you think it is advisable to try to break them down with long balls from the defense? grin

Wa lai, this Rohr is a comedian. cheesy

Playing long balls to a low block defense is playing to their advantage. You use long balls against teams pressing you. You use long balls to exploit gaps when a team has lost shape in their defensive third.

When a team plays a tight low block, you use intricate passing to put them in disarray, create gaps, and exploit the gaps.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:40am On Oct 08, 2021
lloydtruth:

I felt the same way but I just avoid that discussion before I turn the whole thread against me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:52am On Oct 08, 2021
PurpleHouse:

To think Rohr sacrificed Onyekuru's international career for Moses, hurts my feelings for the lad who is sooo passionate about the SE.

Moses is consistent and is doing well in his club.

How do you know he is not passionate about SE?

People should not come here and start playing down on Moses even when most of the players on the pitch did nothing extraordinarily.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 8:59am On Oct 08, 2021
lloydtruth:

I felt same way too

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11323) (11324) (11325) (11326) (11327) (11328) (11329) ... (16147) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Napoleon55(m) and 14 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.