Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,107 members, 7,828,890 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11433) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11747107 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11430) (11431) (11432) (11433) (11434) (11435) (11436) ... (16180) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 8:05am On Oct 22, 2021
Ppogbae:
Algeria and Morocco don't mess around when it comes to foreign born players. They scoop them up like there's no tommorow grin

Because the country's FA knows their work unlike Nigeria

Despite the quality of their National League and structures in place they still harvest foreign born players prior they are ripe but here in Nigeria no good League and structures in place we still delay in going after this stars

We're even lucky Rohr is making moves rarely will an indigenous coach go after foreign born players because of their corrupt nature...this kids will rarely understand the egunge system so they prefer go after the local based players trying to make Maradona out of them so as to sell to obscure clubs in europe for some dollar notes

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:07am On Oct 22, 2021
Ppogbae:
Algeria and Morocco don't mess around when it comes to foreign born players. They scoop them up like there's no tommorow grin

Their closeness to Europe is one factor that really count in their favour... They have quite a large pool of players to pick from..
Nigeria's pool of foreign born is mostly from England...And most of them are either very average or unwilling to commit to play for us..

While the francophone countries like Senegal and CIV with their close relationship with France have the biggest pool of players in Europe to chose from... The French league is really filled with so many players of francophone Africa origin that haven't even be capped... it is crazy!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:19am On Oct 22, 2021
I wish we could establish a good relationship with a modest European club renowned for grooming young talents. I mean something similar to what Mali has with RB Salzburg.

Salzburg has helped Mali groom quality young midfielders such as: Diadie Samassekou, Sekou Koita, Amadou Haidara, Mohammed Camara, Mamady Diambou and Daouda Guindo

I wonder why the agents of our young players don't take our boys to such clubs.

Look at what Nordsjland is doing for Ghana too.

When I look at Nwakali and Haidara, I say e no go better for whoever advised Nwakali to join Arsenal when he did. Awoniyi's Liverpool move was also ill advised

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by seankafor(m): 9:02am On Oct 22, 2021
Danielnino00:
Meanwhile, December 27th is the date clubs are supposed to release their players for AFCON..
The tournament starts on January 9th... that means there's 2 weeks for teams to prepare..

Meanwhile, we should brace ourselves of the possible injuries that will befall African players in the weeks leading to the start of the tournamentgrin .. A lot of clubs will do anything to keep their star players away from the tournament. grin
I don't like how Everton did iwobi prior to last world cup qualification match..
I know thy re injury ridden at the moment but feigning injury to deny us iwobi is uncalled for
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 9:05am On Oct 22, 2021
Danielnino00:

Their closeness to Europe is one factor that really count in their favour... They have quite a large pool of players to pick from..
Nigeria's pool of foreign born is mostly from England...And most of them are either very average or unwilling to commit to play for us..

While the francophone countries like Senegal and CIV with their close relationship with France have the biggest pool of players in Europe to chose from... The French league is really filled with so many players of francophone Africa origin that haven't even be capped... it is crazy!!

Not only that bro
Check out most of Algeria, Morocco players they scooped while still in academics yet to hit limelight the likes of Mahrez

The best way to get this FBs is to scoop them early enough prior their Birth Country come dragging

Our FA is always slow and don't understand if it is out of non commitment to this function

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:18am On Oct 22, 2021
Napoleon55:

Hope u understand that eto is arguably the african greatest footballer of all time,
This is not what u achieve playing for leicester ,or even at napoli .
it will take a long time to reach eto's or drogba's status .
They need to perform at d highest level consistently 4 some few seasons before we can conclude they r next eto or drogba.

Let's pray they enjoy injury free career ,especially Osimhen ,so he can fulfil his potential n attain such status.
Some of una just like argument

Osihmen and Daka may be the next Drogba and Samuel eto of African football.

When may be turn conclude

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:20am On Oct 22, 2021
seankafor:
I don't like how Everton did iwobi prior to last world cup qualification match..
I know thy re injury ridden at the moment but feigning injury to deny us iwobi is uncalled for

More of such case will come up soon...I'm sure of it...
Already, Liverpool are in talks with Egypt, Senegal and Guinea to allow them keep Salah,Mane and Keita beyond that December 27th because of the incoming game against Chelsea...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:23am On Oct 22, 2021
humility33:

Not only that bro
Check out most of Algeria, Morocco players they scooped while still in academics yet to hit limelight the likes of Mahrez

The best way to get this FBs is to scoop them early enough prior their Birth Country come dragging

Our FA is always slow and don't understand if it is out of non commitment to this function

I'm not in support of this your idea of the NFF devoting so much time to chasing foreign born players around to the extent of bringing the ones from obscure academy... No! That is a short time solution to a long term problem.. Such attentionn should be devoted to developing the football back home...

Algeria and Morocco that you mentioned already have their football in order,so they have enough time to chase foreign born all around..

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:47am On Oct 22, 2021
humility33:

Not only that bro

Lol bro calm down. Those north African countries can easily recruit foreign kids from European academies because themselves aalready have their grassroots in order back home. They put their houses in order and left it in trusted hands before embarking on this journey you are suggesting. It has really paid off for them as they merge the foreign ones with the home grown ones. Nigeria can't do that otherwise our him grown talent will suffer serious neglect. In this part of the world, good management is a taboo.

That said, no coach has chased more foreign born players than SiaSia

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by samtol4(m): 9:50am On Oct 22, 2021
fabyom:
I watched both the Europa and Champions League, and Nigerian players are everywhere while only 2/3 players are from the other African countries. I don't understand the hype around these other so-called top Africa countries. Where are their players?
Some of them have tactical coaches but we have none
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:53am On Oct 22, 2021
humility33:

Because the country's FA knows their work unlike Nigeria

Despite the quality of their National League and structures in place they still harvest foreign born players prior they are ripe but here in Nigeria no good League and structures in place we still delay in going after this stars

We're even lucky Rohr is making moves rarely will an indigenous coach go after foreign born players because of their corrupt nature...this kids will rarely understand the egunge system so they prefer go after the local based players trying to make Maradona out of them so as to sell to obscure clubs in europe for some dollar notes
Oga humility you and indigenous coach palaver nawa o...I asked you again are you not a Nigerian cos you always shouting local coaches and corruption without any proof.

Emmanuel Sarki came out with zero allegation without even mentioning anyone,funny enough you said it should be Keshi.

Asked Sarki maybe he paid his way into U 17 and U 20 teams?No but no call up from eagles after many years now he was talking about 5k dollars.Pls can Sarki enter eagles team as at then?

My man to the main point,hope you know that Keshi was the one that invited Leon Balogun and Ekong Troost.Remember Siasia gave Iwobi his break through in the national team.Hope you remember Oliseh gave that opportunity to Carl Ikeme.Do you remember Onigbinde gave Ozase Odenwegie his first cap.Coach Udemuze gave John Chiedozie the opportunity.Keshi gave Hope Akpan the chance.Remember Sodje brothers invited by Onigbinde.What of Shola Ameobi,Sone Aluko and Sammy Ameobi.Coach and Ladan Bosso invited Semi Ajayi to national team.

If you don't know Keshi was the first coach to contact Akpoguma after starring for Germany U 20 at World Cup and you know years before Kevin agreed to play for Nigeria.

Good that Rohr was able to convince the likes of Ebuehi,Aina,Maduka,Akpoguma,Aribo but you know what no coach would handle Nigeria team presently and shy away from foreign born cos we are in dearth of talents in NPFL.

My man small small on our local coaches they are Nigerians like you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:55am On Oct 22, 2021
Danielnino00:
Meanwhile, December 27th is the date clubs are supposed to release their players for AFCON..
The tournament starts on January 9th... that means there's 2 weeks for teams to prepare..

Meanwhile, we should brace ourselves of the possible injuries that will befall African players in the weeks leading to the start of the tournamentgrin .. A lot of clubs will do anything to keep their star players away from the tournament. grin

Danny Liverpool go feel am for this one oooo

Salah and mane just be like Messi and Neymar for Liverpool

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:58am On Oct 22, 2021
As much as I love Onuachu, I think it is time to try other strikers to see who nicks that third striker choice spot. Onuachu is doing well at Genk same as Awoniyi and Sadiq for their respective club sides but, I would rest Onuachu for now to see what those other two can bring to the team. Onuachu is a good striker but he is static compared to these two

Mind you, I was the first person who started championing for Onuachu's call up back when he was at Mitjyland, especially after that goal against Manchester United, so your hater mantra is already dead on arrival

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 9:58am On Oct 22, 2021
Mr Komekn don't tell me you have abandoned the gospel of 'her and now'? grin

Hope you are well and the family too.

komekn:

Agreed without question
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:01am On Oct 22, 2021
ChrisKels:

Are you sure of what you just wrote, or are you saying this because you don't really know the names of these other players from other African countries? Senegal and Morocco still have about 9-10 players each in the champions league ooo while we only have Chuks and Zaidu who have spent more time on the bench than in the pitch. And the way it stands, only Senegal, Algeria and Moroccan players stand a chance of going home with a golden medal in this year's UEFA champions league. Most of our players are in the Europa league and conference league

Morrocco:-

• Zakaria Labyad - Ajax
• Oussama Idrissi - Ajax
• Mazraoui - Ajax
• Zuhair Feddal - Sporting CP
• Adel Taarabt - Benfica
• Yassine Bounou *Goal keeper* - Seville
• Munir El Hadadi - Seville
• Yousef En-Nesyri - Seville
• Hakim Ziyech - Chelsea
• Achraf Hakimi - PSG

Senegal:-

• Fode Yannick Toure - Young Boys
• Boulaye Dia - Villarreal
• Nicolas Jackson - Villarreal
• Fode Balo-toure - AC Milan
• Idrissa Gana Gueye - PSG
• Abdou Dialo - PSG
• Sadio Mane - Liverpool
• Eduard Mendy - Chelsea
• Bouna Sarr - Bayern Munchen

So Bouna Sarr don later play for Senegal after he rejected to play at the 2018 World Cup even without playing any of their qualifiers ,well Bouna Sarr is a confirm bench warmer and has spent more time at the bench than the pitch and not zaidu sanusi

And you are wrong ,sanusi has played 145 minutes in 3 games with us actually more game time on the pitch than the bench ,you already know chuks was injured for 6 months nah if not he was a starter for Villarreal

Many of the Senegalese players you mentioned there are bench warmers and few of the Moroccans grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:01am On Oct 22, 2021
ChrisKels:
As much as I love Onuachu, I think it is time to try other strikers to see who nicks that third striker choice spot. Onuachu is doing well at Genk same as Awoniyi and Sadiq for their respective club sides but, I would rest Onuachu for now to see what those other two can bring to the team. Onuachu is a good striker but he is static compared to these two

Mind you, I was the first person who started championing for Onuachu's call up back when he was at Mitjyland, especially after that goal against Manchester United, so your hater mantra is already dead on arrival
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:02am On Oct 22, 2021
ChrisKels:

GBAM
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 10:03am On Oct 22, 2021
If I start to talk Papilo matter now e go be like say pesin dey beef. If no be the respect and admiration I get for Kanu personally him matter for full this place tire.

Kog45:
Andrew even Kanu Nwankwo with 86 appearances scored just12 goals.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 10:05am On Oct 22, 2021
To be fair he said 'maybe' so it's still a plausible occurrence.

andrewbaba44:

Baba calm down abeg and it’s too early

Maybe if daka no score 4 goals yesterday you no go talk this thing

A reminder that eto is the greatest African player of all time

There is still mane and salah there oooo

Salah looks like he will surpass drogba self grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:07am On Oct 22, 2021
chrisooblog:
If I start to talk Papilo matter now e go be like say pesin dey beef. If no be the respect and admiration I get for Kanu personally him matter for full this place tire.

Pls leave papilo alone o...Super eagles Kanu was damn average but club level ha papilo na real man o.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:08am On Oct 22, 2021
We had this argument 7years ago, back in December 2014. Sir Icon4s do you think we have closed that gap or is this team still lagging behind, quality wise?

Icon4s:
How Nigerian football has deteriorated!
We dont even have 20-21 yrs olds playing top flight football in top leagues.
Most of these invitees are from Lower English, Scandinavian and eastern european teams. Even d ones in top leagues are still playing for the feeder teams or are yet to break in fully into d 'A' teams.

Compare with the Gold winning 96 team when:
Kanu was in Ajax (UEFA champions league winners)
Amuneke was in Barcelona
Oliseh was in Juventus
Amokachi was in Everton
Okocha was in Frankfurt
Babangida jst moved to Ajax
Others like Oruma, Ojigwe, Oparaku, Babayaro, were already regulars in their respective clubs.

All those Akpom, Semi Ajayi, Iwobi, Iheanacho, Yahaya, Success, Awoniyi are nt experienced enough for the U23. They are U20 materials.

If we dont have 19,20, 21yrs olds (dat will form d U23 in 2 yrs time) dat play top flight football in Europe then we should fall back on our local players.

Besides i am hoping to c d likes of
Abdul Ajagun
Olanrewaju Kayode
Michael Olaitan
Christian Pyagbara
Abdulahi Shehu in d team. Thèse are some of John Obu's last U20 who should b fully matured for d next U23.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:13am On Oct 22, 2021
fabyom:
I watched both the Europa and Champions League, and Nigerian players are everywhere while only 2/3 players are from the other African countries. I don't understand the hype around these other so-called top Africa countries. Where are their players?

Nigerian players are not everywhere in the champions league bro

Maybe Europa league ,and other African countries have players in the champions league than us

Chuks
Bonke
Sanusi

So which everywhere naija players Dey for champions league with only 3 players ?

Check well next time

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 10:15am On Oct 22, 2021
Monster machine!!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:18am On Oct 22, 2021
kellycute:
Monster machine!!!!

He is the undisputed best striker in Africa, and among the top 4 best young strikers in Europe, argue with your akpa amu

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 10:18am On Oct 22, 2021
Excellent analysis! The point you raised about Osimhen not getting as many clear cut chances as Haaland is that due to quality of service or is his movement still pedestrian which doesn't allow him to occupy space where he would do the most damage?

TheLoneCitizen:
For those who want to know if Osimhen is better than Haaland, here's what the stats say:

In every other season, Haaland would have trumped Osimhen, but this is the first full season where both players are fully settled and injury free.

So far this season, they've played almost exact minutes so the playing field is level .

1. Defensive striker

During his Lille and early Napoli days Osimhen was a far better defensive striker than Haaland. Better presser and menace to defenders.

But this season under Spalletti, just as Osimhen's aggression has reduced, Haaland’s has increased during his years at Dortmund.

Today, they have the exact same defensive attributes, and anyone who says Osimhen is far better is bias.

Note: Senior Man, Iheanacho is better than both of them defensively. (Iheancho has scored more goals from steals and tackles than both)

2. Finishing.

By this time last year, Osimhen was a wasteful forward, while Haaland was one of the world's deadliest finisher.

Under Spalleti, Osimhen has improved so much that he is toe-toe with Haaland.

Anybody who says Haaland is a far better finisher is working on past glory.

3. Creativity

Osimhen still has loads to do to catch Haaland, but Haaland isn't up to Kels when creativity is mentioned.

4. In every other attribute, Haaland edges Osimhen.

But what statistics wouldn't show you is movement, the most important attribute of any striker, and this is where Osimhen doesn't compare with Haaland.

Haaland’s better movement means despite them being identical in other aspects, Haaland would get 3 goalscoring chances in the same game where Osimhen would get only 1.

This is why last season they missed almost the same number of clear cut chances (Osimhen=14, Haaland=19), but Haaland almost tripled Osimhen's goal return (Osimehn=10, Haaland=25).

NOTE: Haaland is currently on a streak of getting at least [b]one clear-cut chance in each of his past 9 games in all competitions, meanwhile Osimhen hasn't found a big chance in his past 4 games for club. All his goals that period have been half-chances[/b].

Bottom line: Victor is closing in on Erling, but Haaland is not stagnant either. Where he was lagging behind Osimhen, he has caught up, so it's now Osimhen's turn.

APPLAUD HIM, BUT DO NOT OVERHYPE!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 10:20am On Oct 22, 2021
The Yak was too unserious for my liking.

elunico:

Yakubu could have broken Yekini's record sha.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:22am On Oct 22, 2021
ChrisKels:
I wish we could establish a good relationship with a modest European club renowned for grooming young talents. I mean something similar to what Mali has with RB Salzburg.

Salzburg has helped Mali groom quality young midfielders such as: Diadie Samassekou, Sekou Koita, Amadou Haidara, Mohammed Camara, Mamady Diambou and Daouda Guindo

I wonder why the agents of our young players don't take our boys to such clubs.

Look at what Nordsjland is doing for Ghana too.

When I look at Nwakali and Haidara, I say e no go better for whoever advised Nwakali to join Arsenal when he did. Awoniyi's Liverpool move was also ill advised

Nobody might have advised them

The average Nigerian football lover sees epl as everything ,you no say you no go get chance to develope for arsenal and Liverpool but you go there
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:25am On Oct 22, 2021
There was one thing I noticed about Iheanacho's game in the match against Spartak Moscow. Dude kept making the wrong runs and getting offside, which was really unlike him, in two of such instances, Maddison and Tielemans were forced to choose Daka to lay off the passes that resulted to his third and last goal. I have been wondering if those were tactical moves or major errors on Iheanacho's side

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:27am On Oct 22, 2021
andrewbaba44:

The average Nigerian football lover sees epl as everything ,you no say you no go get chance to develope for arsenal and Liverpool but you go there
Oga Andrew Liverpool,Arsenal came for you..just reason am now..don't blame those boys.Sometimes it worked out and sometimes it failed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:29am On Oct 22, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Oboy Mali's midfield will swallow our own in a bout, all thanks to RB Salzburg
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:31am On Oct 22, 2021
chrisooblog:

to put it mildly, January was not even played as a striker, more like a winger and an SS,

what he lack in scoring for Eagles he made up, by creating chances

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:34am On Oct 22, 2021
Kog45:
Oga Andrew Liverpool,Arsenal came for you..just reason am now..don't blame those boys.Sometimes it worked out and sometimes it failed.

Arsenal came for Chuks and Osimhen too. Ajax and some other top European clubs renowned for youth developments outside the UK came for Nwakali. Omerou left his development in Belgium abi Netherlands to run to Chelsea. Bros, these things are all down to choice and foresight.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (11430) (11431) (11432) (11433) (11434) (11435) (11436) ... (16180) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Lawag3, Christinu2, chrisooblog, lbrichman2, Setaleonoz(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.