Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,225 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12227) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11691768 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12224) (12225) (12226) (12227) (12228) (12229) (12230) ... (16156) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 11:20am On Jan 14, 2022
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cromz(m): 11:22am On Jan 14, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
And that was the reason for the term, "Post Afcon". It could be anytime before the next Afcon (2023 in the summer). U gerrit?

Also, we were just name-dropping a few other quality talents that can boost the team's depth. Among them are majorly Midfielders, a defender & a goalkeeper. Depts were more personnel is needed.

Besides, the uncapped names won't all just come in like that. It will take time. Some would come in a year or even 2. One or two could come in 6 months or less like Alhassan Yusuf.

The main point was Osimhen, Balogun, Etebo and even Onuachu would still return to this team to further deepen the depth we already witnessing.

So relax. This is why I stressed on the word, "Read".

I really try to make my posts simple and comprehensive enough. So don't get it twisted Brahh. wink

No wahala we are good
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:28am On Jan 14, 2022
do4luv14:
Good beautiful morning ladies and gentlemen,

So I woke up this sweet morning to see a msg on my phone from GTB wishing me happy birthday,
cheesycheesy,funny enough they can't credit my Aza for my birthday gift gringrin

Thank you Lord it's all by your mercies that I made it,

Guys am +1 Today happy birthday to me
Hurrrrryyyyyy,!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy birthday to you. Wishing you a Victor's life

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 11:31am On Jan 14, 2022
forgiveness:

Because the fancy team is avoiding injury while the less fancy team is desperate to impress.
It's possible
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 11:31am On Jan 14, 2022
do4luv14:

So I woke up this sweet morning to see a msg on my phone from GTB wishing me happy birthday,
cheesycheesy,funny enough they can't credit my Aza for my birthday gift gringrin

Happy birthday do4luv14, the bests keeps happening to you.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 11:41am On Jan 14, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
A Must Watch: Paul Ebere Onuachu, Goals Lord and King of Belgium on Teamwork

Watch Onuachu thanking his teammates for his latest "Golden Shoe/Best Player in Belgium for 2021" award.

It almost brought tears to my eyes. Probably the most beautiful video on appreciating teamwork you will watch today. Only 2 mins and 41 secs of your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guvxCFS7auY

The punchline is, "It's an individual trophy, but without a team you don't succeed as an individual".

Beautiful speech, Paul and more wins & triumphs to you.

I have so much admiration for Paul Onuachu.

I want to be a dad that wins international awards.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 11:41am On Jan 14, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Emmanuel Dennis did nothing ,Na una Dey prolong the matter

He didn’t make it to the afcon and nothing more than that ,did he miss an empty net ?

Same ighalo that easily returned back to the eagles ?

Enjoy awoniyi and co this afcon and leave Dennis alone

I don't understand this your statement.

Don't you know I've constantly defended Dennis on this thread? If he was loved by most Nigerians, would I have stressed myself in doing that?

If you think I'm prolonging the matter, just go to Dennis' social media handles and see what most Nigerians are telling him. Besides, I said 'might' and not 'will'.

Concerning Ighalo, don't you know he was invited in spite of what most Nigerians want? Do you think he would have been invited if most Nigerians had a say? I supported his call-up but as a substitute instead. I've also defended Ighalo on this thread.

And I never said their mistakes would prevent them from getting call-ups, I said MOST NIGERIANS WON'T FORGIVE THEM IRRESPECTIVE OF WHAT THEY DO and that's a fact. So many people still don't rate Onuachu despite his many achievements.

What are you even trying to insinuate by bringing up Awoniyi? Did you see me criticize him in any way? I don't understand you again ooo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 11:44am On Jan 14, 2022
Tolulopefinest:

Where is Sanni Keita ? grin

grin grin grin
How did I even forget Keita? I don't think he played another match for us after that red card.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:48am On Jan 14, 2022
Two Things That Could Have Happened If Victor Osimhen Was In The Game Against Egypt.
News Hub Creator

Nigeria played one of their best games on Tuesday, the 11th day of January 2022. The game was against the Pharaohs of Egypt and the Super Eagles got the better of the North African side by 1-0, courtesy of the goal scored by Leicester City's striker, Kelechi Iheanacho.

The Super Eagles had a good game, but there were still some players who were not on top of their game. This now leads to the question, what would have happened if Victor Osimhen was in action against the Pharaohs of Egypt?

Probably, Taiwo Awoniyi played to his best, but his best couldn't have been up to the best of Victor Osimhen of Napoli. Let's take a look at what could have happened if Victor Osimhen played against the Egyptians.

1. The Super Eagles would have scored more goals in that game; Taiwo Awoniyi played well, but he was not pacy enough to connect with Moses Simon, who was always on the run towards the box of the Egyptians. In that game, one of the strengths of the Super Eagles was their solidity in the midfield.

The Eagles were strong in the midfield that the attackers of the Pharaohs of Egypt hardly went pass them. With such performance in the midfield, Victor Osimhen would have scored at least a goal in that game. He is pacy and has good positioning.

2. The defenders of the Pharaohs of Egypt would have been restricted to their box; fear factor is one thing that works in the game of football. There are a couple of strikers who are feared by the defenders, and Victor Osimhen is one of those strikers. His presence on the pitch would have kept the defenders on their toes in that game, this would have given the Super Eagles more opportunities to press them more in their box.

It's really painful that Victor Osimhen couldn't play at this tournament. Do you think Taiwo Awoniyi would possibly replace Victor Osimhen as expected? Let's have your thoughts on this article in the comments' section.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 11:51am On Jan 14, 2022
minfelix:
AFCON 2023 to be held from June 23 to July 23 2023
Good one

Lol that's just next year �
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:53am On Jan 14, 2022
COOL10:

I don't understand this your statement.

Don't you know I've constantly defended Dennis on this thread? If he was loved by most Nigerians, would I have stressed myself in doing that?

If you think I'm prolonging the matter, just go to Dennis' social media handles and see what most Nigerians are telling him. Besides, I said 'might' and not 'will'.

Concerning Ighalo, don't you know he was invited in spite of what most Nigerians want? Do you think he would have been invited if most Nigerians had a say? I supported his call-up but as a substitute instead. I've also defended Ighalo on this thread.

And I never said their mistakes would prevent them from getting call-ups, I said MOST NIGERIANS WON'T FORGIVE THEM IRRESPECTIVE OF WHAT THEY DO and that's a fact. So many people still don't rate Onuachu despite his many achievements.

What are you even trying to insinuate by bringing up Awoniyi? Did you see me criticize him in any way? I don't understand you again ooo.

Nigerians have no reason to hate in Dennis ,we should be sincere here

What social media handle ? Even before the issue self Dennis Instagram account comment section has limited since his club Brugge days

I didn’t say you criticized Awoniyi ,i meant since Dennis didn’t make it to the afcon you guys should enjoy awoniyi and co who made it there

Well Nigerians not forgiving players always ends inside their pockets

Concerning onuachu ,he is highly rated outside this thread .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 11:56am On Jan 14, 2022
Alfryd:

Doc, I saw some White guys training in the other side, also on the same pitch with super eagle,

are we sharing the training pitch with another north Africa team?
Pre match against Egypt, that's not their training

The other white guys were Egyptian players
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 11:59am On Jan 14, 2022
M7even:

Lol that's just next year �
May likely not be held in Cote d'ivoire cos we all know they aren't prepared to host the tournament not even in 3 years time.

Algeria or Morocco may be a likely host
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:00pm On Jan 14, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
A Must Watch: Paul Ebere Onuachu, Goals Lord and King of Belgium on Teamwork

Watch Onuachu thanking his teammates for his latest "Golden Shoe/Best Player in Belgium for 2021" award.

It almost brought tears to my eyes. Probably the most beautiful video on appreciating teamwork you will watch today. Only 2 mins and 41 secs of your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guvxCFS7auY

The punchline is, "It's an individual trophy, but without a team you don't succeed as an individual".

Beautiful speech, Paul and more wins & triumphs to you.

P.S:
Really can't wait to have this guy, Monster Machine (Osimhen), 4 lungs Midfield horse (Etebo) and Dean of Defence (Balogun) back in the fold ahead of March's WCQs cracker.

Not to mention newbies like The Menace (should he be called), The MF machine (Alhassan) & maybe Onyedika.

The future of our team is ever bright. The New Golden Generation. wink

My min Ito really did a lot for Paul last season. See assists

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 12:10pm On Jan 14, 2022
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 12:14pm On Jan 14, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Nigerians have no reason to hate in Dennis ,we should be sincere here

What social media handle ? Even before the issue self Dennis Instagram account comment section has limited since his club Brugge days

I didn’t say you criticized Awoniyi ,i meant since Dennis didn’t make it to the afcon you guys should enjoy awoniyi and co who made it there

Well Nigerians not forgiving players always ends inside their pockets

Concerning onuachu ,he is highly rated outside this thread .

Check his Twitter.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 12:19pm On Jan 14, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
6. Alhassan Yusuf
7. Ademola Lookman
8. Igoh Ogbu (many don't know this lad grin )
9. Adebayo Adeleye (some don't know him)
10. Abbas Ibrahim (many don't know him too).
11. Ishaq Abdulrazak (several don't know him).
12. Several others including a few of the Naija dual-Nat lads who could still turn to us.

Don't forget the likes of Etebo, Balogun, Onuachu et al would be making a return to the team and the Number 1 Striker himself, Osimhen. wink

The Depth gets even better Post-Afcon for sure.

But for now, Let's focus on the lads in Cameroun.

Nerdie! Can Etebo still break into SE again with the emergence of these new stars like Frank Onyeka. You didn't even mention Innocent Bonke

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 12:21pm On Jan 14, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
6. Alhassan Yusuf
7. Ademola Lookman
8. Igoh Ogbu (many don't know this lad grin )
9. Adebayo Adeleye (some don't know him)
10. Abbas Ibrahim (many don't know him too).
11. Ishaq Abdulrazak (several don't know him).
12. Several others including a few of the Naija dual-Nat lads who could still turn to us.

Don't forget the likes of Etebo, Balogun, Onuachu et al would be making a return to the team and the Number 1 Striker himself, Osimhen. wink

The Depth gets even better Post-Afcon for sure.

But for now, Let's focus on the lads in Cameroun.

Nerdie! Can Etebo still break into SE again with the emergence of these new stars like Frank Onyeka. You didn't even mention Innocent Bonke
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 12:30pm On Jan 14, 2022
forgiveness:

One step at a time. Let us win Sudan and qualify for the next round.
It is the disrespect for the Super Eagles that gets me irritated. 16 tournaments 14 Semi finals. How the hell?
Imagine we attended during our peak 96 and 98 edition.

Imagine there was VAR in 88, 2000, and 2004 editions.

Nigerians thrive in chaos!

Underestimate us at your perile.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:39pm On Jan 14, 2022
do4luv14:

happy birthday Amaju’s advocate

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:40pm On Jan 14, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Frank The Tank: Another Beast Afcon2021 is yet to see in action

Our Midfield Depth is Mad. cool
the defensive side of the midfield, offensive side is almost nonexistent
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:42pm On Jan 14, 2022
solonnachi:

Etebo still has a place in this team, trust me. A keen competition he remains for even Frank The Tank. The Depth is good.

@bolded.... Nnachi, Biko ewesola'm iwe... no vex me! angry Make I call am so that Darkelf & Chriskels will come conduct their football carpentry checks o kwa ya? You sure you want to make heaven? angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:44pm On Jan 14, 2022
Aribo, Iwobi, Nwakali (in a deeper role). That's the offensive side in Cameroun now as things stand.

Post-Afcon, I hope we still address it. Olise, Eze or Noni Madueke.... one of them could have a change of heart. And ofcos we have Akinkunmi Amoo waiting in the wings already. He is a bonafide AM and RW.

jihday:
the defensive side of the midfield, offensive side is almost nonexistent

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:44pm On Jan 14, 2022
minfelix:
AFCON 2023 to be held from June 23 to July 23 2023
Good one
Venue? Still Ivory Coast?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:47pm On Jan 14, 2022
As things stand now, Yes. I remember I spoke on this weeks back on twitter. I don't know how CIV will do it because it would be the rainy season but time will tell. Changes may happen but summer it is.

jihday:
Venue? Still Ivory Coast?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:51pm On Jan 14, 2022
solonnachi:

He can ,it’s all down to hard work
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bossto(m): 12:51pm On Jan 14, 2022
Awoniyi played his best considering it was just his debut for the SE. I knew he would make a good replacement of Osimhen.

Sadiq was so slow for my liking, but l would give him the benefit of doubt cos the match was almost over and our players sat back leaving only him up front.

The coach should also know that Iheanacho, or Olayinka could also player a lone striker in case the formation changes and requires a lone striker.

Good day elders!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:53pm On Jan 14, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Aribo, Iwobi, Nwakali (in a deeper role). That's the offensive side in Cameroun now as things stand.

Post-Afcon, I hope we still address it. Olise, Eze or Noni Madueke.... one of them could have a change of heart. And ofcos we have Akinkunmi Amoo waiting in the wings already. He is a bonafide AM and RW.

none of these names inspire confidence unless maybe Eze and we don’t even have him, in just hope either Eguavoen or Pajero will try to fix this before the World Cup (if we qualify) because we can’t depend on only wing play.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:54pm On Jan 14, 2022
Junya Ito is who Onuachu wishes the likes of Chuks, Ejuke and even Simon can be in the Super Eagles in terms of crossing/putting the ball right into the box or in his path to goal.
Ito is a fantastic ball crosser and lovely winger. Pin point accuracy in the crossing game. Provided the most assists for Onuachu, followed by Theo Bongonda I think but Ito give am better gap.

Onuachu is so blessed to have Ito. Another guy that contributed to Onuachu's shine leading up to the 2021 calendar year is Joakim Maehle now at Atalanta. The Danish Dani Alves. Bad guy, he is.

BascoVanVeli:

My min Ito really did a lot for Paul last season. See assists

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:57pm On Jan 14, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
As things stand now, Yes. I remember I spoke on this weeks back on twitter. I don't know how CIV will do it because it would be the rainy season but time will tell. Changes may happen but summer it is.

how will they even play qualifiers? The rest of this year may not be possible cos after the March window teams will start preparing for Nov/Dec. Caf better plan it well
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:05pm On Jan 14, 2022
jihday:
none of these names inspire confidence unless maybe Eze and we don’t even have him, in just hope either Eguavoen or Pajero will try to fix this before the World Cup (if we qualify) because we can’t depend on only wing play.

Sunday Mba didn't inspire confidence either at Afcon 2013 but he shook the continent. Selah.

Amoo is young and already one of the very best players across the Scandinavian leagues. He is one to keep an eye on.

Aribo is also good to go if we play him there with a DLP (e.g. Nwakali or Alhassan) behind him in Central areas. Iwobi is a decent backup for AM.

@bolded... and is it just now you are realising the bolded? When I was crying out for a MF conductor as one way of solving our MF offensive deficiencies, did you not know I was trying to take the creative burden off our wingers?
This is why I have been analysing our Middle game more than any other department of the team. In here, on twitter and anywhere else.

Having CDMs, a DLP and a modern day Goal scoring #10 is a step closer now. But we still need a genuine AM-playmaker. That is what we lack now. This is why I hope any of Eze, Olise or Noni can be bagged with time or another spring up to fill that hole well, and also an Amoo to keep developing coz he has strong AM qualities.

Hopefully we get there. Let time do its work.

But remember the first line of this post. Yep, that guy didn't inspire confidence at all leading up to that tournament.

So time will tell... until then, enjoy this lad below at this Afcon coz he's not done showing you and I what he can do when given proper licence to attack the box.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:07pm On Jan 14, 2022
Haven't exactly checked the calendar to see for myself but I want to believe CAF have considered the windows needed to execute the Qualifiers ahead of the summer of 2023.

jihday:
how will they even play qualifiers? The rest of this year may not be possible cos after the March window teams will start preparing for Nov/Dec. Caf better plan it well

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12224) (12225) (12226) (12227) (12228) (12229) (12230) ... (16156) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: do4luv14(m), GMBOFASIA and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.