Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,792 members, 7,862,621 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 09:02 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1232) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11941535 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1229) (1230) (1231) (1232) (1233) (1234) (1235) ... (16354) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jul 27, 2017
goldfish80:

Against Egypt in Alexandre. Akpeyi was in goal on the day. The Egyptians scored what can be described as a lucky goal via a deflection.
If he wasn't gittery in that high pressure game. How come he became jittery all of a sudden? Abi we are just making things up?
Why are we still flogging a dead horse? Akpeyi's days with the Eagles are over. As for our World Cup qualifier against Cameroon, I believe we will be the first African team to qualify with 2 games to spare.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:57pm On Jul 27, 2017
goldfish80:

I'm not trashing anybody but, I mean virtually everyone on this forum have been trashing Akpeyi for throwing the SA match, but none can really prove that his specific error(s) lead to the goals.
We have heard Rohr and Shorunmu come out and absolved him of blame for that 2nd goal but it appears our minds have been made up.

Sometimes I wonder if the guy is less Nigerian than everybody in that team.

O' pari

I have been a critic of Akpeyi way before the SA game. In fact, I have not even blamed him for the SA loss in any discussion.

Before the Olympics, I rated him as a decent keeper but his shaky displays in the Olympics, against Algeria, Senegal and SA have convinced me that he is not good enough to be number 1 in the national team.

It is not just one display, any keeper can have an off night. His recent displays have been shaky. He consistently mishandles crosses. If he was a young keeper, perhaps we could have made excuses for him.

Emmanuel Daniel during the Olympics qualifiers and sometimes in the Olympics was a lifesaver for the team. He made great saves to keep his team in it. Enyeama has done that for Nigeria.

If Nigeria is under pressure in Yaounde, Can we count on Akpeyi to keep us in the game if necessary.. His recent performances do not suggest that.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:59pm On Jul 27, 2017
Truidstar:

Why are we still flogging a dead horse? Akpeyi's days with the Eagles are over. As for our World Cup qualifier against Cameroon, I believe we will be the first African team to qualify with 2 games to spare.

Why is his days over in the super eagles? You haven't been able to pin down one howler he made that cost us a game,yet you think his days are over.
This was how you guys blamed Uyo stadium and Uyo fans for the loss.

Sometimes, I think God pieced together the most emotional beings and threw all of them to a country called Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:01pm On Jul 27, 2017
Truidstar:

So who replaces him?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:02pm On Jul 27, 2017
tbaba1234:

I have been a critic of Akpeyi way before the SA game. In fact, I have not even blamed him for the SA loss in any discussion.

Before the Olympics, I rated him as a decent keeper but his shaky displays in the Olympics, against Algeria, Senegal and SA have convinced me that he is not good enough to be number 1 in the national team.

It is not just one display, any keeper can have an off night. His recent displays have been shaky. He consistently mishandles crosses. If he was a young keeper, perhaps we could have made excuses for him.

Emmanuel Daniel during the Olympics qualifiers and sometimes in the Olympics was a lifesaver for the team. He made great saves to keep his team in it. Enyeama has done that for Nigeria.

If Nigeria is under pressure in Yaounde, Can we count on Akpeyi to keep us in the game if necessary.. His recent performances do not suggest that.

So who do you think will do better?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 1:05pm On Jul 27, 2017
zicky:
Which outstanding save did he made

In your judgement you actually think he stood still all 90 mins and did nothing in Alexandria?
The way Akpeyi is being judged, if Kelechi, Iwobi or any of the fans darling received a quarter of what is being thrown at him this thread would have been in flames.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:09pm On Jul 27, 2017
Icon4s:

So who do you think will do better?

I sincerely think Daniel will do better if given the opportunity. He has kept in the Olympics and showed some ability. He will be fine at this stage.

If Alampasu starts the season as 1st choice in Feirense. I will also be willing to give him a shot. We are down to bare bones in the Gk department and taking a risk with a youngster might yield great rewards.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:28pm On Jul 27, 2017
tbaba1234:

I sincerely think Daniel will do better if given the opportunity. He has kept in the Olympics and showed some ability. He will be fine at this stage.

If Alampasu starts the season as 1st choice in Feirense. I will also be willing to give him a shot. We are down to bare bones in the Gk department and taking a risk with a youngster might yield great rewards.

Have you been following Daniel lately?

'If' for Alampasu you said.

Akpeyi until we see a better pair of gloves.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:33pm On Jul 27, 2017
Neither Rohr or Ike Shorunmu will criticize a player in public. That's unprofessional. Rohr's appointment of a new Goalkeeping coach is the best indicator of his position in that department.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 1:44pm On Jul 27, 2017
tbaba1234:

I don't think Akpeyi is the best but as a stop gap measure, he is just OK to fill in.
However, since the game against SA, he has been made the escape goat, the reason for this resentment is not clear to me. Because Looking at the game critically and running a proper analysis on the events leading up to the goals, Akpeyi was in no way responsible for those goals.

On the Olympics, you do appreciate Akpeyi was drafted in as one of the over age players. Friendly games and tournaments leading up to the Olympics, Emma Daniel was not convincing, we had some countries running crazy number of goals against us like 6:0,4:1 and the likes. Emmanuel and Awoniyi were targeted but somehow, Emmanuel survived while Awoniyi was dropped.

In my opinion Siasia stuck with Emmanuel because he was one of the oldest member of his U23 team. In the game against Japan, Emmanuel was very suspect for some of those goals but Siasia stuck by him and he grew into the tournament. This was exactly how it played out.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 1:48pm On Jul 27, 2017
tbaba1234:
Neither Rohr or Ike Shorunmu will criticize a player in public. That's unprofessional. Rohr's appointment of a new Goalkeeping coach is the best indicator of his position in that department.

Ike Shorunmu is not a member of the technical crew. He can criticise any player like other ex internationals have done on TV.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:05pm On Jul 27, 2017
goldfish80:

Ike Shorunmu is not a member of the technical crew. He can criticise any player like other ex internationals have done on TV.

Ikeme Shorunmu was working with these players closely not too long ago. He was also part of the technical team. He knows the Gks intimately. No way, he will criticize them publicly. That does not mean, he will not make different decisions if he was in charge.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:22pm On Jul 27, 2017
komekn:

That is the official stance but the reality is that practice and theory have huge disparities. Again I am talking from a UK perspective.

Drills and attributes in a national team set up have limited value. Essentially because the times you have with these players is very limited before they go back to thier home clubs.

What they do in thier parent clubs, all things being equal is the definitive factor in deciding attributes, ability and capacity not drills in the national team.

Is there a training session in camp of a National team that does not have drills in them?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:23pm On Jul 27, 2017
tbaba1234:

Ikeme Shorunmu was working with these players closely not too long ago. He was also part of the technical team. He knows the Gks intimately. No way, he will criticize them publicly. That does not mean, he will not make different decisions if he was in charge.

Precision in words.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:31pm On Jul 27, 2017
Icon4s:

But some players never get game time during period of study but get invited. What criterion did they use in that instance?

Past games. If they show brilliant attributes in their past games, then the coach weighs if he feels the player can make an impact then he invites the player to camp and accesses him closely.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:37pm On Jul 27, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Past games. If the show brilliant attributes in their past games, then the coach weighs if he feels the player can make an impact then he invites the player to camp and accesses him closely.

Are you by any way referring to experience here?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 2:44pm On Jul 27, 2017
goldfish80:

In your judgement you actually think he stood still all 90 mins and did nothing in Alexandria?
The way Akpeyi is being judged, if Kelechi, Iwobi or any of the fans darling received a quarter of what is being thrown at him this thread would have been in flames.
do you just say Akpeyi has been judge more than Kelechi, guy! I'll give you chance to retract that statement.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:48pm On Jul 27, 2017
komekn:

That is the official stance but the reality is that practice and theory have huge disparities. Again I am talking from a UK perspective.

Drills and attributes in a national team set up have limited value. Essentially because the times you have with these players is very limited before they go back to thier home clubs.

What they do in thier parent clubs, all things being equal is the definitive factor in deciding attributes, ability and capacity not drills in the national team.

This comment deserves an award.

Well spoken.

TheGoodJoe 'reality' is the key word here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:52pm On Jul 27, 2017
Icon4s:

This comment deserves an award.

Well spoken.

TheGoodJoe 'reality' is the key word here.

Let him answer if there is any way a National team coach can conduct training sessions without drills. That is the reality. Or, do you guys think the coaches do those drills for fancy?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:56pm On Jul 27, 2017
Icon4s:

Are you by any way referring to experience here?

Been studying and reading football articles and books for too long. Also leaved in the same compound with former coach of the Super Eagles, coach Monday Sinclair for years. Not experienced but have lots of insights into these.

Any coach that can not do drills for his team, is that one a coach?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:09pm On Jul 27, 2017
tbaba1234:

We have seen Amokachi come hard on some of these players when he worked on super sports. Thierry Henry used to criticize Arsenal players when he worked on sky, even ex Chelsea assistant manager Ray Wilkins do call out his former players who aren't performing right in front of the camera.
You're not ethically bound not to criticize someone or a team you have no contract with.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:10pm On Jul 27, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Been studying and reading football articles and books for too long. Also leaved in the same compound with former coach of the Super Eagles, coach Monday Sinclair for years. Not experienced but have lots of insights into these.

Initially you said game time and experience do not matter. Only drills matter.

But you have now by yourself brought in game time by saying coaches study video of players in their respective clubs. And experience by saying players can be invited based on past games.

Oga, just be humble and accept some things abeg.
It will not remove a strand of hair from your body.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:13pm On Jul 27, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

You have been reading and studying articles and books right?

I have attended coaching classes. Product of Clemence Westerhoff. That is the difference. Hahahaha.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:17pm On Jul 27, 2017
Icon4s:

I have attended coaching classes. Product of Clemence Westerhoff. That is the difference. Hahahaha.

What is the difference? Because you attended a coaching class, does it change the fact of studying coaching sessions? They are loads of sessions with from Ariggo Sacchi, Guardiola, Hitzfeld etc.

What did they teach you in the classes because you have not yet told us the team selection process you were thought.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:22pm On Jul 27, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

What is the difference? Because you attended a coaching class, does it change the fact of studying coaching sessions? They are loads of sessions with from Ariggo Sacchi, Guardiola, Hitzfeld etc.

What did they teach you in the classes because you have not yet told us the team selection process you were thought.

Hahaha I also coached.

Aside handling academy players as my practicals, I once managed an amerture club side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:22pm On Jul 27, 2017
Icon4s:

Initially you said game time and experience do not matter. Only drills matter.

But you have now by yourself brought in game time by saying coaches study video of players in their respective clubs. And experience by saying players can be invited based on past games.

Oga, just be humble and accept some things abeg.
It will not remove a strand of hair from your body.

Who said only drills matter?

I said drills is what coaches use to screen players. Experience is for player development. At the end selection is for the best players. Not experienced players. That is why a young Cristiano Ronaldo could play for the Portuguese National.

Renato Sanches was a young man who made the list over highly experienced players. If experience is the criterion for selection, Renato would not make the list. He was better than many experienced Portuguese midfielders.

Mark that. Experience was not the criterion. It was better that got him there. Not drills. Ha. How did you get that.

Accept it. You did not even know that the video analyst works when the team is not in camp in team selection.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:24pm On Jul 27, 2017
Icon4s:

Hahaha I also coached.

Aside handling academy players as my practicals, I once managed an amerture club side.

I beg. Leave that one. It sounds like story because I wonder how you do your team selection without drills. A coach who does not perform drills during training sessions, is that one a coach?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:25pm On Jul 27, 2017
Icon4s:

Okay tell us how you will go about screening a hundred players in camp to come up with a 22 man team if all of them are amateurs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bossto(m): 3:29pm On Jul 27, 2017
WAFU??....Is Nigeria playing in this tournament??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 3:33pm On Jul 27, 2017
Daninya11:
It is absolutely clear that Ezenwa will be in goal against Cameroun.
don't be surprise to see akpeyi in goal against cameroun
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:34pm On Jul 27, 2017
goldfish80:

We have seen Amokachi come hard on some of these players when he worked on super sports. Thierry Henry used to criticize Arsenal players when he worked on sky, even ex Chelsea assistant manager Ray Wilkins do call out his former players who aren't performing right in front of the camera.
You're not ethically bound not to criticize someone or a team you have no contract with.

A Goalkeeping coach has 3-5 players, he works with regularly. Not 23 or 35. They build relationships with their players. Even at that, I have never heard Amokachi criticize his players publicly . Thierry Henry is an ex-Arsenal player not a coach. He worked with the youth players briefly. His relationship with the players is completely different.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:35pm On Jul 27, 2017
Daninya11:
It is absolutely clear that Ezenwa will be in goal against Cameroun.

I am not even comfortable with Ezenwa.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1229) (1230) (1231) (1232) (1233) (1234) (1235) ... (16354) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: daveP(m), AlbertoIancu, lbrichman2, MetalJigsaw(m), Goke7, joxxy01(m), ddone, victornoah(m), ozoono(m), samtol4(m) and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.