Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,892 members, 7,821,118 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12364) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11707671 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12361) (12362) (12363) (12364) (12365) (12366) (12367) ... (16161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:44pm On Jan 19, 2022
12large1:

I don’t GAF about the performance, all I care about is the result. Rohr achieved a 3rd place result last tournament and even defeated cameroun, South Africa. Egu must surpass it to consider this tournament a success
He must not surpass it. He's practically been with the team for less than a month. We are playing well. That is immensely satisfying to me. A trophy will be an icing on the cake. I really do want them to win a trophy but if we don't win it, we will treasure the immense potential of this team.

17 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:45pm On Jan 19, 2022
The techincal crew have done a wonderful work but there is still more work to be done. A lot. So, they need to keep at it.

Either way, proud of the Super Eagles team.

Super Eagles that know their onions.

12 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 11:45pm On Jan 19, 2022
Sadiq seems like a confidence player. You could literally feel the relief on his face after scoring that goal. Too bad he was taken off immediately after, I think he would have played a lot differently.

Problem is, confidence players usually don't do well in high-pressure situations, especially with national teams where no spot is guaranteed.

Despite his woeful performances so far, I still feel like the guy can come good.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:45pm On Jan 19, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Lies from the pit of hell
Well, at least I don't regard his statements on Ndidi as hate
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 11:46pm On Jan 19, 2022
Mujtahida:

He must not surpass it. He's practically been with the team for less than a month. We are playing well. That is immensely satisfying to me. A trophy will be an icing on the cake. I really do want them to win a trophy but if we don't win it, we will treasure the immense potential of this team.

Yes, we’re playing well but we must aim to progress and not regress. At the last tournament, we achieved a 3rd place it’s normal to aspire/aim to do better than the last tournament. A 1st or 2nd place will be consider as progress
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:47pm On Jan 19, 2022
Etebo would have turned to Kante under his set up.. That man has 20 lungs grin ..

25 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 11:47pm On Jan 19, 2022
I watched all the corner kicks and set piece from Nwakali. They were all right on point. How did we not bury even one

31 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:49pm On Jan 19, 2022
12large1:

Yes, we’re playing well but we must aim to progress and not regress. At the last tournament, we achieved a 3rd place it’s normal to aspire/aim to do better than the last tournament. A 1st or 2nd place will be consider as progress
I really want these guys to win this Afcon. It's might be the only major trophy some of this players get to win ooo

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 11:49pm On Jan 19, 2022
For the moment, I think Olayinka is a better backup CF to Awoniyi. Strong enough, excellent work rate, nothing flashy but links up play well. Another Awoniyi but just smaller and slimmer.

Sadiq may be useful in certain games. His height combined with Ajayi made us especially dangerous from set-pieces in the first half. However the guy needs to work on himself a lot. He needs to be more fluid, add some upper body mass and learn to link up play better. He gives off this Onuachu 5 years ago vibe (Onuachu's days at Mitdjylland when he scored that goal against Manchester United).

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:50pm On Jan 19, 2022
comodo:
I watched all the corner kicks and set piece from Nwakali. They were all right on point. How did we not bury even one

That Iheanacho's own should have gone in. Nwakali sure has his way with the corners. So impressive.

18 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 11:53pm On Jan 19, 2022
alekside:
Forget the unnecessary hype on this thread. Nwakali is a good player. His not playing in a top league is definitely not because of lack of talent. I was really impressed with his calmness on the ball.

Talented player on the ball. Very good set pieces.

Off the ball though, he has a long way to go. Ndidi was too stressed today.

19 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:55pm On Jan 19, 2022
Danielnino00:
Etebo would have turned to Kante under his set up.. That man has 20 lungs grin ..

cheesy

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:56pm On Jan 19, 2022
Curtisaxel10:
How on earth Rohr was able to imprison Simon Moses on the pitch for five years needs to be studied in universities. How can a player go from a bang average defensive fullback to prime Neymar with just a change of coach? What the heck was Gernot doing to Simon?!

I'm not even angry with Rohr. I'm astounded.
What Rohr did to Simon is like the stories we have often heard or read about wicked madams who chain their househelps in the house and abuse them.

19 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:56pm On Jan 19, 2022
Joebie:
In this tournament, I disagree. Ejuke has a better work rate. He needs to improve in decision making. Chuks on his part never start yet, but may explode as we progress.

Oga Joe,Ejuke and Chuckwueze dey fall my hand o....imagine I rated Ejuke than Simon but I was wronged...I always see Chuckwueze as unplayable player in GWG but so far am not impressed......the duo just need up their games cos we have Dennis,Lookman and Kalu waiting after Afcon

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 11:58pm On Jan 19, 2022
comodo:
we don't have an undertaker in the team grin and the next thing to that na mask man and he his currently doing his thing at Naples. wink

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:58pm On Jan 19, 2022
PDPGuy:
Congrats to the Super Eagles on being the first team to achieve a 100% record at this AFCON!

Meanwhile, we say goodbye to both Sudan and Guinea Bissau
New record: Nigeria has never won all three group matches in the past.

By the way, wetin Cerezo dey give Simon chop?

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:58pm On Jan 19, 2022
At least we can now tell one of the players that revolted against Rohr (my suspicion).

Simon Moses. He definitely wanted to do more than what Rohr was asking from him.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:59pm On Jan 19, 2022
MetalJigsaw:

I thought the commentator said Eguaavoen won all three group games before this one.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 12:01am On Jan 20, 2022
MetalJigsaw:

Only Cerezo has done that and this is his second time doing it too.

Did the first 16years ago

12 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dkay51(m): 12:03am On Jan 20, 2022
komekn:

He parried the ball straight into the pathway of the oncoming player, they nearly go the rebound and scored.

It's very poor to goalkeeping it's literally a school boy error

When maduka dropped the ball under no pressure you were mute o. undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by philip0906(m): 12:03am On Jan 20, 2022
lbrichman2:

Truth be told, I still want to see Sadiq given more minutes albeit in a different set up
He may have missed chances today, but I feel it's due more to his nerves than ability
That goal would do wonders for his confidence
I believe we will see a different Sadiq next time
The "next time" quota system Sadiq will be playing, will be in the trenches. Not for this Super Eagles.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:04am On Jan 20, 2022
drDoom3:
Sadiq seems like a confidence player. You could literally feel the relief on his face after scoring that goal. Too bad he was taken off immediately after, I think he would have played a lot differently.

Problem is, confidence players usually don't do well in high-pressure situations, especially with national teams where no spot is guaranteed.

Despite his woeful performances so far, I still feel like the guy can come good.
He will never be loved. Even if he scores loads of goals. Personally I wish he'd continue to be given more time but can we afford the luxury?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:04am On Jan 20, 2022
daveP:

Minus 3 abeg. For that Sadiq starter. Lol
He needed to try him out. If he didn't how would we have known about the revelation?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:06am On Jan 20, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

I thought the commentator said Eguaavoen won all three group games before this one.
He did it in 2006

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:07am On Jan 20, 2022
drDoom3:

Talented player on the ball. Very good set pieces.

Off the ball though, he has a long way to go. Ndidi was too stressed today.
Nwakili reminded me of Mikel today but as you said off the ball he need to do more but he would have flourish with Ndidi,Aribo playing behind him in three man midfield and Awoniyi upfront but meaning Iheanacho will be on the bemch which is very unlikely with Simeon and Chuckwueze on the flank 4-3-3

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:10am On Jan 20, 2022
Kog45:
Nwakili reminded me of Mikel today but as you said off the ball he need to do more but he would have flourish with Ndidi,Aribo playing behind him in three man midfield and Awoniyi upfront but meaning Iheanacho will be on the bemch which is very unlikely with Simeon and Chuckwueze on the flank 4-3-3

You were warned not to put Nwakali and Mikel in the same sentence.

[img]https://c./NHUmRkGlXwcAAAAM/bart-simpson-strangle.gif[/img]

13 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 12:11am On Jan 20, 2022
MetalJigsaw:

Actually, the Super Eagles have achieved the feat before in 2006, when Eguavoen was the coach

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 12:12am On Jan 20, 2022
Kog45:
Oga Joe,Ejuke and Chuckwueze dey fall my hand o....imagine I rated Ejuke than Simon but I was wronged...I always see Chuckwueze as unplayable player in GWG but so far am not impressed......the duo just need up their games cos we have Dennis,Lookman and Kalu waiting after Afcon

Collins made Ejuke look like a fool today. Ejuke was too isolated on that wing, he barely touched the ball throughout the game.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dkay51(m): 12:15am On Jan 20, 2022
Mujtahida:

OH lord, this boy is good. This one no be jibola. This Ndah na bolaji

When Ekong gaffed and let the GB strike through, he just calmly stole the ball from him. shocked
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:19am On Jan 20, 2022
drDoom3:

Doctor,yes the absence of Osimehn created a lot of pressures on Awoniyi and Sadiq,and good they have a goal to their name.

Oh if you watched Rio 2016 you won't be surprised by Sadiq performance but I was expecting more refine Sadiq by now...Awoniyi supposed to be under more pressure than him....anyway good that all our players can score,Ekong made that statement today.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 12:19am On Jan 20, 2022
Mujtahida:

He will never be loved. Even if he scores loads of goals. Personally I wish he'd continue to be given more time but can we afford the luxury?

Confidence players turn into beasts when they do get the confidence back. Look at Nacho at Leicester last season for example.

The problem as you have said is time. We don't have the luxury to give you ten games to grow your confidence before you start playing like a beast. Look at Awoniyi, once he got the chance against Egypt he took it hookline and sinker.

Sadiq is playing like the whole of Nigeria is on his neck to score, he is playing like someone told him that if he doesn't score, they will pursue him with cutlass. He is panicking, he feels like at any moment he could lose his spot so he is desperate and trying too hard, only to fail and get his confidence even much lower.

I remember when Eguavoen said after the first game that Sadiq's problem was psychological, I thought he was joking because wetin consign football consign psychology? Kudos to Eguavoen by the way for understanding his players so well, another reason why he is able to utilize the talented squad he has so effectively.

I think what Eguavoen shoul do is meet with the guy privately, calm his nerves. Explain to him that he doesn't need to go into games burdened, he should just calm down and play the way he normally plays.

12 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dkay51(m): 12:21am On Jan 20, 2022
codemaniacs:

Super Eagles have not played against a strong team especially a team with a strong attack..

It's normal to play well against teams like sudan, equatorial guinea, an underperforming Egypt..

Eguavoen major advantage for now is the fact that he is playing attacking football if Super Eagles concedes first and changes to a defensive pattern then SE will be in trouble.

Hopefully eguavoen doesn't change his attacking game.

Senegal no even get underperforming big name for their group yet dem no still carry 9pts. Abeg bring another come grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (12361) (12362) (12363) (12364) (12365) (12366) (12367) ... (16161) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: waffiboi and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.