Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,767 members, 7,862,503 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 06:20 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12368) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11940833 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12365) (12366) (12367) (12368) (12369) (12370) (12371) ... (16352) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 10:05am On Jan 20, 2022
Papi85:
nwakali really needs to work on his work rate

Before Onyeka came in it seem ndidi was over stressed when the team is chasing the ball

Kelechi is very good on the ball with good passing ability but to be a complete CM/DLM he needs to up his agility and stamina cus this qualities are required mostly from coaches of this generation

Ndidi wasn't in top 10 for tackles made at this competition. But after his 7 tackles against Bissau he is now number 1.

21 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 10:06am On Jan 20, 2022
TheLoneCitizen:

The one on Sadiq wasn't, which other one, sir.
The one on ihanaecho
that's clearly a penalty

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Pidginwhisper: 10:06am On Jan 20, 2022
TheLoneCitizen:

For those that doubted that Guinea-Bissau deserved a penalty. Jump to 1:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwVA2yKLgEc?t=78
Oga rest. We equally deserved a penalty for the foul on Iheanacho which wasn’t given.

15 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 10:07am On Jan 20, 2022
Samueltemi337:
The one on ihanaecho
that's clearly a penalty

That was a tangle, if they gave that against us, there will be blood.

Ekong changed the trajectory on the shot which was heading into the corner.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 10:09am On Jan 20, 2022
With the look of things balogun should just retire from the national team unless em go accept to Dey chop bench

Can’t wait to have osimehn and Dennis back to the team also with the inclusion of uncapped ademola lookman

Michael olise I hope he makes up his mind soon cus he will be a great addition to the team while eze should continue waiting for England. Rangers bassey should also be given a chance. He is versatile and will be a great asset to the team as cover for the LB and CB position

Also eguavoen and the nff should reach out to udinese’s udogie, he will be a good competition for zaidu and better than Collins

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 10:11am On Jan 20, 2022
TheLoneCitizen:

Ndidi wasn't in top 10 for tackles made at this competition. But after his 7 tackles against Bissau he is now number 1.
ndidi na machine, exactly what my darling team Manchester United needs to sit at the front of the back four

Truly he is one of the best DMs in world football currently

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:14am On Jan 20, 2022
codemaniacs:

Guinea Bissau wasn't a well coached team if you really and honestly watched the match you'll have noticed it was the Guinea Bissau players that were coaching themselves and sometimes they were coaching their own coach and giving him instructions..

It is not true. Big misconception. That was a tactical discussion between the coach and the player. It even highlights how sound the man has gotten the players to the point they can read games and put heads with the coach.

Their build up plays, their reading of space, and efficient long balls were fine. Their problem was individual quality, which we were ahead.

As for coaching, they were well coached.

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:15am On Jan 20, 2022
Papi85:
With the look of things balogun should just retire from the national team unless em go accept to Dey chop bench

Can wait to have osimehn and Dennis back to the team also with the inclusion of uncapped ademola lookman

Michael olise I hope he makes up his mind soon cus he will be a great addition to the team while eze should continue waiting for England. Rangers bassey should also be given a chance. He is versatile and will be a great asset to the team as cover for the LB and CB position

Also eguavoen and the nff should reach out to udinese’s udogie, he will be a good competition for zaidu and better than Collins

You have not seen Balogun under Eguavoen to judge. He might turn out sublime.

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:16am On Jan 20, 2022
Samueltemi337:
The one on ihanaecho
that's clearly a penalty

Iheanacho's own was a very clear penalty.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:17am On Jan 20, 2022
ChrisKels:
Am I the only one who didn't see what Onyeka did after coming on for Nwakali?

Relax My Man Chris. Relax.

Don't make it look like an Nwakali vs Onyeka thing.

Yes, Nwakali looked quite unplayable yesterday. Infact, I almost shed tears just seeing the lad finally show us all what we have been missing. Look at the smoothness, ease, high technicality and pinpoint accuracy of all his passes and deliveries yesterday. He dropped a true central midfield conducting Masterclass. No caps.
92% passing accuracy, 36 accurate passes out of 39 attempted passes, 24 accurate passes in/into opposition half, 12 in own half,
2/5 accurate crosses, 4/6 accurate long balls, 1 clearance, 2 interceptions, 8 recoveries, 3 chances created, 1 big chance created, 4 corners delivered.

For the first time in long while, all our setpieces (corners and freekicks) looked constantly threatening all game with Nwakali standing over them.

But yes, Nwakali lost some duels yesterday on the defensive side which Ndidi mopped up for. Ndidi's Defensive actions side complimented Nwakali's passing range and creative nous from deep.

Now, to Frank to the Tank, be informed that although he had only 15 mins in his Afcon debut yesterday, that beast didn't lose one duel (3/3 duels won- 100%) and even got himself into 3 tackles while winning 1.

Frank came and locked up that middle for good. We all know his defensive side is far superior to Nwakali's so in the physical side, he excelled.

So both Nwakali and Onyeka had fine showings yesterday.

Onyeka was Solid in the few mins he had and Nwakali, truth be told really brought back memories of the legend Mikel Obi. So much that he almost brought tears to my eyes.

Uncle Elder Kog45 is spot on. Anyone who watched Nwakali closely yesterday and saw Mikel in his time won't help but bring the two into one sentence. Class oozed. Elegance similar. We pray the boy gets better.

A comfortable win yesterday and even the much vilified Umar gas a goal to his name. lol.

For me, nothing much to say again oooo... You all have said most of what needs to be said. But I must talk on one more person in my next post.

We move. Eguavoen and the crew are not joking. Our depth is scary.

And as for Ndidi... In honor of his World Class Defensive showings yesterday further cementing why he has dominated England and by extension, Europe in all defensive actions stats for 4 seasons straight before the current season (21/22)... I leave this below.

Ndidi, The Midfield Octopus.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 10:17am On Jan 20, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

You have not seen Balogun under Eguavoen to judge. He might turn out sublime.
his combo with ekong don expire moreover he is not getting younger

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 10:23am On Jan 20, 2022
Papi85:
But to be honest rohr clipped the wings of this team ooo

See as bois Dey fly with freedom and swagger. Simon Moses is too good to be in Nantes, he deserves to be playing for any Lyon,Marseilles,lille or any decent team in the epl

Ndidi so far hv been my most valuable player. Dude hv been a rock in midfield with good ball distribution and energy.

Awoniyi have shown that he is a worthy cover for osimehn

Resurgent ekong and omeruo in our first 2 games were unplayable but seeing Ajayi against guinea got me confused on who is better among the trio

Oliseh nda was too smooth and calm on the ball. He needs to leave the SA league ASAP for Europe

Eguavoen is on the right path and shouldn’t allow sentiment or egunje taking to disrupt this good work he has on ground at the moment. Even if the team fails to win the competition I am satisfied with what I hv seen so far

The nff should shelve the idea of brining in another coach for now and back Austin to continue with the team atleast after the World Cup his appointment can be reviewed for renewal if the team performs decently at the world stage

Charles what of Nwakali? grin we won hear your opinion
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 10:24am On Jan 20, 2022
M7even:

Charles what of Nwakali? grin we won hear your opinion
great passer of the ball but work rate na zero cheesy

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 10:28am On Jan 20, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

Yes, Nwakali looked quite unplayable yesterday. Infact, I almost shed tears just seeing the lad finally show us all what we have been missing. Look at the smoothness, ease, high technicality and pinpoint accuracy of all his passes and deliveries yesterday. He dropped a true central midfield conducting Masterclass. No caps.
92% passing accuracy, 36 accurate passes out of 39 attempted passes, 24 accurate passes in/into opposition half, 12 in own half,
2/5 accurate crosses, 4/6 accurate long balls, 1 clearance, 2 interceptions, 8 recoveries, 3 chances created, 1 big chance created, 4 corners delivered.

For the first time in long while, all our setpieces (corners and freekicks) looked constantly threatening all game with Nwakali standing over them.

But yes, Nwakali lost some duels yesterday on the defensive side which Ndidi mopped up for. Ndidi's Defensive actions side complimented Nwakali's passing range and creative nous from deep.

Now, to Frank to the Tank, be informed that although he had only 15 mins in his Afcon debut yesterday, that beast didn't lose one duel (3/3 duels won- 100%) and even got himself into 3 tackles while winning 1.

Frank came and locked up that middle for good. We all know his defensive side is far superior to Nwakali's so in the physical side, he excelled.

Onyeka was Solid in the few mins he had and Nwakali, truth be told really brought back memories of the legend Mikel Obi. So much that he almost brought tears to my eyes.

Uncle Elder Kog45 is spot on. Anyone who watched Nwakali closely yesterday and saw Mikel in his time won't help but bring the two into one sentence. Class oozed. Elegance similar. We pray the boy gets better.

A comfortable win yesterday and even the much vilified Umar gas a goal to his name. lol.

For me, nothing much to say again oooo... You all have said most of what needs to be said. But I must talk on one more person in my next post.

And as for Ndidi... In honor of his World Class Defensive showings yesterday further cementing why he has dominated England and by extension, Europe in all defensive actions stats for 4 seasons straight before the current season (21/22)... I leave this below.

this ur meme na fire cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 10:30am On Jan 20, 2022
Full marks to you for calling things out earlier on. I guess I erred by giving Rohr too much benefit of the doubt after our successful 2018 WC qualifying run.

TheGoodJoe:
Jan 27, 2019

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 10:36am On Jan 20, 2022
*Modified* Yeah he is the only local SE coach to have won all group stage matches at any tournament

TheGoodJoe:

I thought the commentator said Eguaavoen won all three group games before this one.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:38am On Jan 20, 2022
Ndidi rightly gets his high praise. Nwakali did deliver. Iheanacho dropped the assist of the tournament so far BUT THE TRUE MAN OF THE MOMENT IS MOSES SIMON

In just 33 mins, this devil of a Winger came on and made mincemeat of a team Mohamed Salah has to dig really deep to shine against.

Moses Simon is a devil. I repeat... He is a devil!!!!! Habamana!!!

7 dribbles attempted... 7 dribbles completed. All PURPOSEFUL. ALL Goal-Creating and Chance creating Dribbles.
1/1 accurate long balls as well. 1/3 accurate crosses. 1 shot on target, 2 shots off target.. and 1 shot hitting woodwork after beating about 4 players or so to set up Ekong's easy tap in. DEVILISH WINGER!!!

AH AHN... Eguavoen too is wicked. You are in control yet you throw in Simon to wreck more havoc. Simon single handedly, yes... SINGLE-HANDEDLY UPGRADED the left side of our attack INTO BEAST MODE and the Guineans couldn't cope one bit. No one had an answer to the Simon Magic.

This man effortlessly STAT-PADDED against Bissau and has now garnered 15 completed dribbles in just 3 games so far. An average of 5 dribbles per game. Beastly!!!

Add that to his 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 shot hitting woodwork to set up Ekong, and 3 "statistically recorded" chances created so far at Afcon2021 and you are looking at a potential tournament MVP if he keeps this going.

Simon has arguably been the tournament's best Winger so far. Amazing how a change of coach could unleash such hidden beast in certain players. May Simon's awesome form continue because he is indeed a weapon most oppositions don't seem to have an answer against.

Special player.

Watch this short clip made in honor of Simon's showings so far... the clip could infact explain the Simon rebirth. Simon Messi? wink

Watch clip here:
https://twitter.com/israeldanimator/status/1484046514922082306?t=XN5Cfe6APDSE1HxjbbbIQQ&s=19

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 10:43am On Jan 20, 2022
I won't like bro if it were up to me I might not play him again in this afcon. This is tournament football and we're in the knockout stages, any slip up we are going home. No coach has time to be doing fela durotoye for anybody to boost their confidence. Hope Sadiq can turn it around all the same.

Mujtahida:

He will never be loved. Even if he scores loads of goals. Personally I wish he'd continue to be given more time but can we afford the luxury?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:47am On Jan 20, 2022
Papi85:
this ur meme na fire cheesy

Charles, Ndidi is a colossus. A Mega Bully. Everytime the Guineans got past Nwakali's press or when Iwobi lost possession, Ndidi was right there to mop things up.

He was like, "Bia Nwokem, Who born you? Who make you? Where do you come from? How do you form? WHO YOUUUU??"

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:50am On Jan 20, 2022
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

ndidi should be playing for any of man united,chelsea,juve,madrid,psg or bayern

the guy is too good to be ignored by top clubs
TheSuperNerd:

Charles, Ndidi is a colossus. A Mega Bully. Everytime the Guineans got past Nwakali's press or when Iwobi lost possession, Ndidi was right there to mop things up.

He was like, "Bia Nwokem, Who born you? Who make you? Where do you come from? How do you form? WHO YOUUUU??"

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:51am On Jan 20, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Ndidi rightly gets his high praise. Nwakali did deliver. Iheanacho dropped the assist of the tournament so far BUT THE TRUE MAN OF THE MOMENT IS MOSES SIMON

In just 33 mins, this devil of a Winger came on and made mincemeat of a team Mohamed Salah has to dig really deep to shine against.

Moses Simon is a devil. I repeat... He is a devil!!!!! Habamana!!!

7 dribbles attempted... 7 dribbles completed. All PURPOSEFUL. ALL Goal-Creating and Chance creating Dribbles.
1/1 accurate long balls as well. 1/3 accurate crosses. 1 shot on target, 2 shots off target.. and 1 shot hitting woodwork after beating about 4 players or so to set up Ekong's easy tap in. DEVILISH WINGER!!!

AH AHN... Eguavoen too is wicked. You are in control yet you throw in Simon to wreck more havoc. Simon single handedly, yes... SINGLE-HANDEDLY UPGRADED the left side of our attack INTO BEAST MODE and the Guineans couldn't cope one bit. No one had an answer to the Simon Magic.

This man effortlessly STAT-PADDED against Bissau and has now garnered 15 completed dribbles in just 3 games so far. An average of 5 dribbles per game. Beastly!!!

Add that to his 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 shot hitting woodwork to set up Ekong, and 3 "statistically recorded" chances created so far at Afcon2021 and you are looking at a potential tournament MVP if he keeps this going.

Simon has arguably been the tournament's best Winger so far. Amazing how a change of coach could unleash such hidden beast in certain players. May Simon's awesome form continue because he is indeed a weapon most oppositions don't seem to have an answer against.

Special player.

Watch this short clip made in honor of Simon's showings so far... the clip could infact explain the Simon rebirth. Simon Messi? wink

Watch clip here:
https://twitter.com/israeldanimator/status/1484046514922082306?t=XN5Cfe6APDSE1HxjbbbIQQ&s=19

Very wicked man that Eguavoen is grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:52am On Jan 20, 2022
Afcon stat: Bissau vs Nigeria, Iwobi

Alex Iwobi recorded the least touches on the ball for anyone to play 90mins yesterday. 42 touches.

Delivered 22 passes out of 29 pass attempts. 76% pass accuracy. 7 passes in own half. 15 passes in opposition half.

We saw snippets of his plays but he was less involved yesterday than he was vs Sudan.

Lost the ball 12 times as well.

Needs to do better.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 10:53am On Jan 20, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

In the long run, that 424 formation has to be sacrificed for a 433. We need 1 dm, 1 cm and 1 Am. Also, I want to see nwakali as a mainstay in our Midfield. But, not at the expense of Aribo

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:57am On Jan 20, 2022
The interim boss has managed to make the three-time AFCON champions an exciting team to watch again, but he insists it wouldn’t have been possible without his predecessor

Super Eagles interim boss Austin Eguavoen has said that former coach Gernot Rohr deserves some credit for Nigeria’s brilliant performances at the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations.

The Super Eagles have been the most impressive side in the competition so far after winning all of their three group games, scoring six goals and conceding just one, which came from the penalty spot.

Eguavoen has received all the praises for the team’s brilliant displays in Cameroon. Despite a far from ideal preparation, the former Gent defender has managed to make the team an exciting side to watch again, which is a stark contrast to what fans saw before the competition.

Eguavoen only came in a month before the start of the tournament, replacing Rohr, who was sacked following the second round of 2022 World Cup qualifiers.

Rohr came in for criticism in the last few months of his tenure due to the Super Eagles uninspiring performances, which is why Eguavoen is getting more plaudits for the work he has done in a short period of time.

However, the former Enyimba coach insists Rohr also deserves to take the plaudits because he assembled the squad.

“There’s no way we are not going to give Gernot Rohr credit because he’s the one who put this team together, Eguavoen said after Nigeria’s win over Guinea-Bissau, as per Modo.

“We still inherited a team of about 98% Gernot Rohr together, so there is no way we are going to leave Gernot Rohr out of this.”

“He did a good job assembling these boys, but it’s quite unfortunate what has happened.”

“And if we win the Africa Cup of Nations, it’s for everyone, not just me alone,” he added.

Nigeria will continue their quest for a fourth continental title when they play their second-round game on Sunday.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:03am On Jan 20, 2022
Meanwhile flopbele is set to leave Barca

I love Mateu Alemany, Man no get time for nonsense

Liverpool manure Chelshit Newcastle make una come carry ooo grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:04am On Jan 20, 2022
12large1:

In the long run, that 424 formation has to be sacrificed for a 433. We need 1 dm, 1 cm and 1 Am. Also, I want to see nwakali as a mainstay in our Midfield. But, not at the expense of Aribo

Well said, My Man.

Key words here are "Not at the expense of Aribo". He is the one player that I have insisted even before the tournament began that must not be dropped from the first XI even though he is no bonafide Playmaker. What he brings with his mix of energy and high technicality and box to box workrate is something unique to him and him alone.

This is why my proposed Ndidi-Nwakali-Aribo MF trio as CDM, CM and AM respectively will work. It is tactically balanced enough to control a game, enable us apply our high intensity press and also hurt the opposition big time thereby sharing the attacking threat and creative threat burden with our wingers who have been our major source of attacking creativity.

Yesterday we saw our team attack from different routes. Through the middle, from the wings and from set pieces. We need such overload of options in order to increase our chances of hurting the opposition especially in the KO rounds where one game decides it all.

Nwakali will bring his creative nous from deep & passing range to compliment Aribo's box to box workrate & high energy alongside Ndidi's World Class CDM Masterclass. A MF that will be game over for the rest of the African continent but be reminded this would mean sacrificing one of Nacho (looking quite undroppable so far) and Big Aw.

In the end, it falls at Eguavoen’s table. I trust he is pondering over this and will make the smarter choice based on the opposition.

I just like that this lad below has given the coaches a tactical option to consider thereby expanding our tactical varieties. We need to keep the opposition guessing and "JiBaller BallerJi AdeBaller" grin ensured that with his showings yesterday.

Where is Papi85? I hope you enjoyed the show my good man grin You were the most eager to see this lad start grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:05am On Jan 20, 2022
Papi85:
Who else noticed how ekong joins the attack and one of his adventures going forward resulted to the 2nd goal against guinea

It's not just Ekong, Ajayi was just slightly late to slot in the first goal. I had to ask at a point: what kind of formation are we playing with defenders, Central defenders attacking

16 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:06am On Jan 20, 2022
tongue tongue tongue tongue
TheSuperNerd:

Well said, My Man.

Key words here is "Not at the expense of Aribo". He is the one player that I have insisted even before the tournament began that must not he dropped from the first XI even though he is no bonafide Playmaker. What he brings with his mix of energy and high technicality and box to box workrate is something unique to him and him alone.

This is why my proposed Ndidi-Nwakali-Aribo MF trio will work. It is tactically Balanced enough to control a game and also hurt the opposition big time thereby sharing the attacking threat and creative threat burden with our wingers who have been our major source of attacking creativity.

Yesterday we saw our team attack from different routes. Through the middle, from the wings and from set pieces. We need such overload of options in order to increase our chances of hurting the opposition especially in the KO rounds where one game decides it all.

Nwakali will bring his creative nous from deep & passing range to compliment Aribo's box to box workrate & high energy alongside Ndidi's World Class CDM Masterclass. A MF that will be game over for the rest of the African continent but be reminded this would mean sacrificing one of Nacho (looking quite undroppable so far) and Big Aw.

In the end, it falls at Eguavoen’s table. I trust he is pondering over this and will make the smarter choice based on the opposition.

I just like this lad below has given the coaches a tactical option to consider thereby expanding our tactical varieties. We need to keep the opposition guessing and JiBaller BallerJi AdeBaller ensured that with his showings yesterday.

Where is Papi85? I hope you enjoyed the show my good man grin You were the most eager to see this lad start grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:08am On Jan 20, 2022
The Super Eagles confirmed their ratings as an Afcon 2021 favourite with their third consecutive victory at the tournament on Wednesday

Coach Augustine Eguavoen has pointed at the Super Eagles’ decent performance against Guinea-Bissau to indicate that Nigeria meant business at the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon.

The Eagles’ disciplined and accomplished display against the African Wild Dog was crowned by two second-half goals from Umar Sadiq and William Troost-Ekong.

Mozzart
That win follows two equally impressive victories over two former Afcon champions, Egypt and Sudan.

With the Super Eagles finishing top of Group D, they are billed to face any third-place team from Group B, E, or F.

That opponent is still undecided, but it could be defending champions Algeria, Tunisia, or Malawi.

Should the Eagles progress beyond the Round of 16, they could meet Senegal, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, or Morocco en route to the final.

These are mouthwatering clashes that could provide sterner tests to Nigeria’s title credentials. Still, Eguavoen is confident he has a team that will underrate no one, as shown by their output against the Wild Dogs.

“For instance, if you see today’s game and like I said before, Guinea-Bissau is a very strong team. They were no pushovers at all,” said Eguavoen after the encounter, as per Modo.

“So, they gave us a run for the money, but at the end of the day, we were able to get those two goals, and I am very satisfied with the performance.

“The most credit must go to the players for doing everything we told them to do.”

The Super Eagles’ strength in depth was evident for all to see on Wednesday night as Eguavoen played with eight players who were earning their first starts in the competition.

Nigeria still tried to play on the front foot again, keeping position well and getting numbers into the opponent’s box.

And Eguavoen insists his charges will stick to their style of football, regardless of the opposition placed in front of them.

He said, “we will always respect our opponents, we will play them with full strength, and we will play them the way we play with anybody.”

The Super Eagles made Afcon 2021 record with the victory over the African Wild Dog, becoming the only team to win all three matches in the competition’s group stage.

The three-time continental champions will next face the third-placed team from Group B, E, or F in a round of sixteen clash on Sunday, January 23.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:08am On Jan 20, 2022
Tyrone was solid for me. Joining the attack is just not his game yet but hopefully Eguavoen can help him improve on that part of his game.

Curtisaxel10:
Lest I forget, Ebuehi was largely underwhelming yesterday. I assume he was just trying to play safe since we've already qualified but i expect more from the lad going forward.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 11:09am On Jan 20, 2022
Papi85:
Who else noticed how ekong joins the attack and one of his adventures going forward resulted to the 2nd goal against guinea

Ajayi also joined the attack, he almost got on the end of Sadiq's goal

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:10am On Jan 20, 2022
charlesemeka85:
tongue tongue tongue tongue

Hahahaahahahahahahaha.... I am sure you were kinda "disappointed" and also "happy" at the same time. grin

Because in the end, their performances (not just Nwakali's) yesterday was for the good of our team which we both share great passion and love for. No be so? grin

Man we move. ROUND OF 16 CALLS TO US.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (12365) (12366) (12367) (12368) (12369) (12370) (12371) ... (16352) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: XshegzzyeeiX2, mekabuachi, AndSunGorilla, Toylove, Philosopher1979, naptu2, elyte89 and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.