Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,043 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12498) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11662107 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12495) (12496) (12497) (12498) (12499) (12500) (12501) ... (16150) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:37pm On Jan 26, 2022
Karlovych:
Both Ejeheri and Okonkwo haven't done anything of note this season.
Okonkwo is Arsenal’s third choice now, for a 19 years old keeper that’s something of note

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:39pm On Jan 26, 2022
semid4lyfe:

Eguavoen should be allowed to continue
this is the only solution that makes sense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:40pm On Jan 26, 2022
Kog45:
Sir,something needed to be done to our midfield,have watched Nig vs Tun three times and I want to say no striker will perform with our displayed especially in the first half,we played mostly on the wings and Tunisia were able to cage Simeon and Chuckwueze....second half could have been better if not for the red card cos Iwobi and Olayinka run around and did the needful for Sadiq but that red card really affected us but nonetheless we need a midfielder who possess and have energy to do the needful,honestly am beginning to appreciate Mikel and Onazi more.....On our keepers.I don't know cos we have WC qualifier in march so we have limited time,Maduka,Uzoho and Akpeyi will still be available,we need another goalkeeper trainer to psyche this guys up.
on GK I’ll personally go for Akpeyi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:46pm On Jan 26, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Na Morocco fit run am

But they won’t win it

Dem no too sabi like that na. More like survival and luck. I think that's even the most obvious game plan of the North African teams this year. Cameroun should win their cup in their backyard abeg. Lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:47pm On Jan 26, 2022
komekn:

Agreed without question but with great discontent.

I hope that lesson is learnt.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:49pm On Jan 26, 2022
Meanwhile....

NPFL starts. The Away Syndrome continues but scoring slightly better.

Kayode Bankole of Remo Stars with 5 Clean Sheets in 7games.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:50pm On Jan 26, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Just like how Portugal failed to win any game at the group stage of euro 2016 and ended up winning the tournament grin
I always tell people that tournament football is 60% luck 40% ability. We’ve seen it play out several times

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:55pm On Jan 26, 2022
poshemmanuel:
Nigeria current coach

Dorime. Iterimo adaba ni dorime. Bami re.

All the best. Mourinho wins.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:57pm On Jan 26, 2022
jihday:
I always tell people that tournament football is 60% luck 40% ability. We’ve seen it play out several times
the italians are there to disagree with you on this one. Belief and Ginger mixed with the right amount of luck can make champions. Right from pre-euros they weren't even faves. But their first match was all people needed to see to know their driving force was majorly self belief.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:13am On Jan 27, 2022
Ghana parts ways with Milovan. Who's hoping on to face Peseiro?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:27am On Jan 27, 2022
andrewbaba44:

I wonder if they aren’t updated

Peseiro is already the new super eagles coach and the earlier they accept the better for them

Nigeria will qualify for the World Cup by beating Ghana home and away

This post should be framed after it has been achieved .
but I don’t think he has signed a contract plus he hasn’t been officially presented

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Astrid4(m): 5:37am On Jan 27, 2022
Mujtahida:

Under Rohr, this was the face of Nigerian football
Hard, ugly, strained, and to top it up, no trophy

A bronze at the last AFCON is not a trophy? grin, defeating South Africa, Cameron, we almost Algeria won if not because of keeper error, all these feat no be beans,you can just undermine the achievement of rohr, he did very well we are only slightly better than ivory coast when it comes to squad depth yet ivory coast crashed very early the last AFCON. Rohr led us to two competition; he got us a bronze medal,he also led us to two AFCONQ and one WCQ we qualified with a game to spare

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 6:39am On Jan 27, 2022
Astrid4:

A bronze at the last AFCON is not a trophy? grin, defeating South Africa, Cameron, we almost Algeria won if not because of keeper error, all these feat no be beans,you can just undermine the achievement of rohr, he did very well we are only slightly better than ivory coast when it comes to squad depth yet ivory coast crashed very early the last AFCON. Rohr led us to two competition; he got us a bronze medal,he also led us to two AFCONQ and one WCQ we qualified with a game to spare
Rohr is miles ahead of the ghen ghen contingent

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:51am On Jan 27, 2022
daveP:
Meanwhile....

NPFL starts. The Away Syndrome continues but scoring slightly better.

Kayode Bankole of Remo Stars with 5 Clean Sheets in 7games.
Cos the NPFL does not have good strikers.Let these NPFL goalies face continental opponents and you will see them making embarrassing blunders. Especially when they face North African teams.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:56am On Jan 27, 2022
daveP:
Ghana parts ways with Milovan. Who's hoping on to face Peseiro?

Their fans are clamoring for a local coach.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:00am On Jan 27, 2022
jihday:
For me:
At group stage: 70% ability, 30% luck
Knockout stage: 50% ability, 50% luck

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:16am On Jan 27, 2022
Tunisia will win this AFCON.

BTW, what is the rumour about Ghanaian players using juju during their matches at AFCON?

Heard Partey and Kudus may not honour any call up again

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:27am On Jan 27, 2022
komekn:

There were a number of errors that led to the goal.

Aina rushed in to make an interception on the half way line against the No. 7 , misses and sprints back overtakes Msakni and blocks him off, ushering him on his inside at the same time getting back into position as Egyptian left back was on his right side.

Continue writing fake thesis.

The point is simple. We created more chances than the Tunisians but failed to take our chances.

We conceded by a Goalkeeper error.

The coach did his job by picking a system that created chances. 13 goal attempts we failed to take one. You can not blame the coach here except you are a bias person.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:37am On Jan 27, 2022
codemaniacs:

Eguavoen is not tactically clueless..

It is not Eguavoen and Simon's fault that Chukwueze's wing was toothless, that's Chukwueze fault.

It is not Eguavoen, Ndidi and Aribo's fault that Ihenacho and Chukwueze did not track back and help the midfield and also track back to help the defense..

To lose a match, A goal has to be conceded, the goal the S.E conceded was due to goalkeeping error and since the goal was due to goalkeeping error then that means Okoye was responsible for our loss..

same way Edouard Mendy cleansheets last season helped Chelsea win the UCL..
same way donnarumma helped Italy win the Euros...

In fact, Now that I'm thinking about it, sometimes the difference between some teams is the quality of their goalkeepers and strikers but especially their goalkeepers..

A good GK can keep a team in a game or tournament while a poor GK can take them out

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 7:47am On Jan 27, 2022
komekn:

There were a number of errors that led to the goal.

Aina rushed in to make an interception on the half way line against the No. 7 , misses and sprints back overtakes Msakni and blocks him off, ushering him on his inside at the same time getting back into position as Egyptian left back was on his right side.

Ndidi who is backtraycking Msakni tackles doesn't block him off but dives in and he get sold. Omeruo who is right in front of Msakni, just looked at him and doesn't block him off or attempt to put him off , he just looks.

He then gets a direct shot at Okoye who is asleep and not concentrating or had any anticipation, fluffs it like a school boy, terrible error.

Who is to blame, Ultimately Eguavon .

We are playing a very good team that's a wounded Lion. They have always had good team cohesion. That means your Midfielder need to work hard very hard to close down and break up the Tunisian play.

That means water carriers, hard workers, Midfielders that will tackle and make interceptions, that will backtrack and also attack, and Midfielders that run on diesel not petrol ,long lasting with huge amounts of stamina.

Certain player's are immediately excluded such as Nwakali, KC they will not NEVER work hard and backtrack.

That means wingers who press in unison and also defend. That excludes immediately Chukwueze he just does not do that both for club and nation. Ejuke or Iwobi would have been a better option.

Awoniyi was pressing mostly on his own.

The midfield duo of Onyeka and Ndidi would have presented a different option that would have protected the back four and contained Tunisia.

I probably would have started with Awoniyi and sub him with a very hungry Olayinka who would work very hard as he has a point to prove.
Finally, it's Eguavon fault , irrespective of whatever politics is at play. He needed to man up because it's reputation on the line. He had spent enough time with all these players to know who is who and make the best selection, he did not.

Not Eguavoen's fault..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:07am On Jan 27, 2022
grin

Maduka has never been a good GK for Super Eagles. Uzoho is far better than him. Maduka is only favored for some Reasons obvious to Everyone.

I never have Confidence in him, and ain't sure I'm gonna be convinced he's the right man to be our No. 1.

However, I can't blame Maduka for the Loss, rather Eguavoen. He saw him in Trainings. He definitely knows his Weaknesses, yet kept playing him as our No. 1.

Also, Eguavoen failed when it matters most. We caged Egypt coz we were marked out Sallah. Tunisia did same to us cos they marked out Simon..... yet Eguavoen couldn't do Jack to outclass his Rival.

If Eguavoen wanna maintain 4 - 4 - 2 Formation by all means, then he ought to have switched to a diamond midfield shape. Push up Aribo to 10, let both Simon and Chuks played as LM and RM respectively.

Choked the Midfield, control the Game from the middle and give your fullback license to function as Wingbacks.

Well...... we move.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by caprikon: 8:21am On Jan 27, 2022
mostob:

BTW, what is the rumour about Ghanaian players using juju during their matches at AFCON?

Similar allegations of voodoo were rife in the Ghana team at the 2012 AFCON.... this news is not surprising.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pahars(m): 8:24am On Jan 27, 2022
Maduka making a mistake in a major tournament is normal.Lets us not forget this guy is just 22, it is a learning curve but am sure he will come better and whether people like it or not Maduka is going to be the undisputed no 1 of the super eagles for many years to come, you cannot overlook a goalie playing regular football in major leagues in europe(he will improve with time)Even Enyeama at the age of 22 I doubt if he was already playing in Europe.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:53am On Jan 27, 2022
pahars:
Maduka making a mistake in a major tournament is normal.Lets us not forget this guy is just 22, it is a learning curve but am sure he will come better and whether people like it or not Maduka is going to be the undisputed no 1 of the super eagles for many years to come , you cannot overlook a goalie playing regular football in major leagues in europe(he will improve with time)Even Enyeama at the age of 22 I doubt if he was already playing in Europe.
Bro...I really pray the bolded doesn't happen. Do you want us to remain trophyless for 'many years to come' We need another goalie please. And playing regularly in Europe doesn't make you a better goalkeeper.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:56am On Jan 27, 2022
caprikon:

Similar allegations of voodoo were rife in the Ghana team at the 2012 AFCON.... this news is not surprising.

oh really? Long may they remain trophyless o grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 8:59am On Jan 27, 2022
Learning curve in a major tournament? What's this one saying?

pahars:
Maduka making a mistake in a major tournament is normal.Lets us not forget this guy is just 22, it is a learning curve but am sure he will come better and whether people like it or not Maduka is going to be the undisputed no 1 of the super eagles for many years to come, you cannot overlook a goalie playing regular football in major leagues in europe(he will improve with time)Even Enyeama at the age of 22 I doubt if he was already playing in Europe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:14am On Jan 27, 2022
pahars:

As much as I like Maduka ,all GK should fight for the number 1 shirt ,if Maduka is the best then he should take it ,not just giving him the shirt just because he is tall and handsome .

Akpeyi wey peoole Dey insult here the blunder wey him don do Na for Argentina friendly oooo and not the afcon tournament ,if akpeyi do like Maduka for last afcon South Africa for don eliminate us

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:25am On Jan 27, 2022
mostob:

Tunisia won’t win this afcon

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:27am On Jan 27, 2022
Oasis001:
grin

Maduka has never been a good GK for Super Eagles. Uzoho is far better than him. Maduka is only favored for some Reasons obvious to Everyone.

I never have Confidence in him, and ain't sure I'm gonna be convinced he's the right man to be our No. 1.

Choke midfield, mark Simon, 4-4-2, 4-3-3, is not the point when we created more chances and were the better side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:39am On Jan 27, 2022
pahars:
absolute trash, what a nonsense write up. maduka okoye will never be super eagles number one goalkeeper again
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 9:41am On Jan 27, 2022
Mousup40:
absolute trash, what a nonsense write up. maduka okoye will never be super eagles number one goalkeeper again
and you will be the one to stop him from playing for the national team?

Oga go pay ur haus rent cus it’s evident over frustration Dey worry u
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pahars(m): 9:48am On Jan 27, 2022
Yes I know it doesn't make you a better goalkeeper but it gives you the edge over someone playing in lower league
mostob:
Bro...I really pray the bolded doesn't happen. Do you want us to remain trophyless for 'many years to come' We need another goalie please. And playing regularly in Europe doesn't make you a better goalkeeper.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (12495) (12496) (12497) (12498) (12499) (12500) (12501) ... (16150) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.