Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,018 members, 7,863,681 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 11:23 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12603) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11948397 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12600) (12601) (12602) (12603) (12604) (12605) (12606) ... (16363) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 3:06pm On Feb 08, 2022
charlesemeka85:
If coaches can handle the hot heads and egocentric retired and active players like cantona,cr7,ibrahimovic,gattuso,pogba,gascoigne,best etc then that of osaze,Taiwo and co na moi moi
Not every coach has the patience and right method to handle hot headed players. Maybe Keshi couldn't tolerate such hot headedness and decided to stop calling up the player. grin grin

Baba be like ... Take your wahala and go...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 3:07pm On Feb 08, 2022
Joezinho:

Master class against a second string Italian side? In a meaningless friendly game?

Sirigu, Maggio, Pasqual, Ranocchi, Ogbonna, Candreva, Montolivo, Giaccherini , Rossi etc..

And what was his contribution at the WC?

There was no masterclass abeg

But to be sincere those names there are quality players

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 3:10pm On Feb 08, 2022
jihday:
can’t take this headline serious because Okpala rushed to some ojuelegba blogs to say that, Taiwo said this 4 days earlier
You don't expect Taiwo to come out and say he is at fault na.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 3:12pm On Feb 08, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Sirigu, Ranocchi, Montolivo, Candrega, Rossi... These are quality players now.

Mr Joe, but they are not starters for Italy. You can't compare these players to Buffon, Abate, Barzagli , Bonucci, Chiellini , Pirlo , Marchisio, De Rossi and Di Natale

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:12pm On Feb 08, 2022
Joezinho:

Master class against a second string Italian side? In a meaningless friendly game?

Sirigu, Maggio, Pasqual, Ranocchi, Ogbonna, Candreva, Montolivo, Giaccherini , Rossi etc..

And what was his contribution at the WC?

Joe man,why is it anytime local coach did something meaningful we always try to downplay them...Italy is Italy no matter the players they paraded....I remember how we defeated France in paris in a friendly match but we didn't value that victory...Siasia beating Argentina,it was stories but when Rohr defeated Argentina it was massive victory.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 3:13pm On Feb 08, 2022
andrewbaba44:

He is right to you doesn’t mean he is right to me grin
I grab...that is what makes it an argument... grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 3:14pm On Feb 08, 2022
mostob:
You don't expect Taiwo to come out and say he is at fault na.
same sentiment applies to Okpala, can’t expect him to admit to being shady.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 3:14pm On Feb 08, 2022
Kog45:
Joe man,why is it anytime local coach did something meaningful we always try to downplay them...Italy is Italy no matter the players they paraded....I remember how we defeated France in paris in a friendly match but we didn't value that victory...Siasia beating Argentina,it was stories but when Rohr defeated Argentina it was massive victory.

Lol. Sir Kog, i wasn't over the moon when Rohr defeated argentina. It was Afterall a friendly game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 3:15pm On Feb 08, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Arteta doesn’t have a good man management .
You think so? He is a rookie and he needed to set some record straight. I won't blame him sha...by the way, not every coach can be like Arsene Wenger, coaching and fathering at the same time ...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:17pm On Feb 08, 2022
Joezinho:

Mr Joe, but they are not starters for Italy. You can't compare these players to Buffon, Abate, Barzagli , Bonucci, Chiellini , Pirlo , Marchisio, De Rossi and Di Natale

Does that mean Ameobi did not perform against a quality team? Those were quality players.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 3:19pm On Feb 08, 2022
jihday:
same sentiment applies to Okpala, can’t expect him to admit to being shady.
I chose to go with the Okpala camp because...
1. Okpala here is like a 3rd party. The issue was between Keshi and Taiwo.

2. How may players in the camp came out to corroborated Taiwo?

3. There was no evidence from Taiwo that proved Keshi was shady.

You don't need a chorister gown and woolen helmet to judge a matter...at times,all you need na common sense from the street grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 3:20pm On Feb 08, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Does that mean Ameobi did not perform against a quality team? Those were quality players.

And how did he perform at the WC?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by caprikon: 3:22pm On Feb 08, 2022
Kog45:
Oga pls let's talk about our WC qualifier match against Ghana....Stephen Okechucwu Keshi is late and he will be remembered for winning Afcon as a player and as a coach,reaching WC second round,first to captain Super eagles to WC,longest serving captain 1984-1994....a player that was banned from national team and NPFL by Anthony Ikhazobo for playing for New Nigeria bank in Wafu cup final but couldn't make it to camp on a deadline date.He ran away to Ivory coast and was signed by stade of Abidjan when he thought he had no hope.He move to Belgian league from Ivory coast to sign for Lokeren and moved to giant Anderlecht after a season.The first Nigerian to play in any major European cup final,against Sampdoria....Stephen Keshi didn't for once criticized NFA for his expelled from football in Nigeria.He made it possible for the likes of Austin Eguavoen,Samson Siasia,Ademola Adeshina,Osaro Obabaifo,Andrew Uwe and many more to come to Belgium for Pro career....The highest Super eagles defender with goals till date.

He has done well no matter how some would like to paint him bad....till today no Nigeria player ex or active love Nigeria Super eagles than Stephen Okechucwu Keshi.

I challenge anyone to come out where Stephen Okechucwu Keshi was indicted for bribery.

RIP the Big boss.

You nailed it Sir.

With all his perceived shortcomings, Keshi towers head and shoulders above Rohr.

It's really saddening when we disrespect our own legends, especially after their demise. If Keshi was White, I strongly believe he will be talked about differently now.

The WCQ in March is going to be extremely nervy. Fingers crossed.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:27pm On Feb 08, 2022
Joezinho:

Does not change the point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:27pm On Feb 08, 2022
Joezinho:

Joe baba,he deputized Emenike and with his comeo appearance he used his frame very well,2014 WC,the top performers are Ahmed Musa,Ogenyi Onazi,Vincent Enyeama,the rest were average based on their second round achievement.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:28pm On Feb 08, 2022
caprikon:

You nailed it Sir.

With all his perceived shortcomings, Keshi towers head and shoulders above Rohr.

It's really saddening when we disrespect our own legends, especially after their demise. If Keshi was White, I strongly believe he will be talked about differently now.

Nigeria vs Ghana always a war.pls your insight on the match.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:30pm On Feb 08, 2022
caprikon:

You nailed it Sir.

I am also feeling the tension. Let us see the remarks that will come from the coaching crew in the next few days.

Either way, I still need to say a shout out to Dr. Terry. I hope he has a bright future in coaching in the coming years.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:36pm On Feb 08, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

I am also feeling the tension. Let us see the remarks that will come from the coaching crew in the next few days.

Either way, I still need to say a shout out to Dr. Terry. I hope he has a bright future in coaching in the coming years.
Victor Osimehn should just do the needful and avoid injury and good Balogun is back,possibly we will have Ighalo too cos the match na gidigbo (Bullmastif vs Rotweller),hope to see Etebo in the squad....my major concern is goalkeeping.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 3:40pm On Feb 08, 2022
Kog45:
Victor Osimehn should just do the needful and avoid injury and good Balogun is back,possibly we will have Ighalo too cos the match na gidigbo (Bullmastif vs Rotweller),hope to see Etebo in the squad....my major concern is goalkeeping.
Sadiq and Ajayi too...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:45pm On Feb 08, 2022
Kog45:

I do not think Ighalo will come in. If we play Ighalo, it will mean abandoning our system. Awoniyi, Sadiq, Osimhen offer a lot of running up front. I doubt Ighalo can offer that.

The goalkeeper remains an issue but also the tactical team needs to work on Ndidi not committing too much to the offensive side.

Any defensive contribution should come from the wide areas.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 3:48pm On Feb 08, 2022
mostob:
I chose to go with neither party because...
1. Okpala here is not a third party, he was Keshi’s assistant and close friend.

2. How many players/coaches in the camp came out to corroborate Okpala?

3. There was no evidence from Okpala that proved Taiwo said those things

You don't need a chorister gown and woolen helmet to judge a matter...at times,all you need na common sense from the street grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:49pm On Feb 08, 2022
mostob:
Sadiq and Ajayi too...
Sir,Sadiq,Awoniyi and Dessers should just step aside for that match.If I have my way Maduka too....the issue with Sadiq is that his good performance in any match is not guaranteed.

Nigeria vs Ghana we need players who will delivered at any giving opportunity,no mistake should occur or else we paid dearly for it.

Semi is cool.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:54pm On Feb 08, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

I do not think Ighalo will come in. If we play Ighalo, it will mean abandoning our system. Awoniyi, Sadiq, Osimhen offer a lot of running up front. I doubt Ighalo can offer that.

The goalkeeper remains an issue but also the tactical team needs to work on Ndidi not committing too much to the offensive side.

Any defensive contribution should come from the wide areas.
Oga,you heard me saying na gidigbo match.This is a knockout matches where we need real fighter,not player running and fallen down unnecessarily....my hope is Victor Osimehn.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:54pm On Feb 08, 2022
Kog45:

I expect a pairing of Osimhen and Iheanacho. However, Iheanacho will need to do more dropping deep than he did at the world cup. He needs to learn how to own the central offense area. Despite finishing, Iheanacho is also a good passer.

However, we can not deny the intensity Iwobi brought before the red card. If we go with a three-man midfield, I tip Iwobi to take the ten role.

We frightened teams at the AFCON and I think this will make the bedrock of the strategy Ghana will adopt. They will keep it tight at the back and hit us hard and fast with counters.

We need to close up spaces to prevent surprises.

Most important thing is us saving Ndidi's energy by restricting his offensive plays and saving it to help break down attacks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:58pm On Feb 08, 2022
Kog45:
Oga,you heard me saying na gidigbo match.This is a knockout matches where we need real fighter,not player running and fallen down unnecessarily.

I expect such fight too but why go in fighting the same way they do. We should play to our strength. They will have a compact defensive block. We need to spread it out and disorganize them.

If we play a fighter with little speed, we will play to their strength. We need to keep the ball wide and have a striker running around their block to break it.

What about if we get an early goal? They will need to break the block, and with runners, we can exploit their space.

I actually see Sadiq as a better target man in this scenario but I think we should go with a high-pressing strategy. Osimhen/Nacho or Osimhen/Iheanacho. Even if they want to lunge long balls, we should press them hard to prevent accuracy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:00pm On Feb 08, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

I expect a pairing of Osimhen and Iheanacho. However, Iheanacho will need to do more dropping deep than he did at the world cup. He needs to learn how to own the central offense area. Despite finishing, Iheanacho is also a good passer.

However, we can not deny the intensity Iwobi brought before the red card. If we go with a three-man midfield, I tip Iwobi to take the ten role.

We frightened teams at the AFCON and I think this will make the bedrock of the strategy Ghana will adopt. They will keep it tight at the back and hit us hard and fast with counters.

We need to close up spaces to prevent surprises.

Most important thing is us saving Ndidi's energy by restricting his offensive plays and saving it to help break down attacks.
Sir,I watched Iheanacho closely in just concluded Afcon and I want to say I wasn't impressed.In the absence of Osimehn I expected much from him.....check it out
1.Uzoho
2.Aina
3.Sanusi
4.Balogun
5.Ekong
6.Ndidi
7.Etebo
8.Aribo
9.Simeon
10.Osimehn
11.Iheanacho....4-3-3 against Ghana.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:08pm On Feb 08, 2022
Kog45:
Keshi had a lot of issues during Afcon 2013 ...It took Keshi time to really understand that Daniel Amokachie was working against him...prior to Amaju Pinnick emergent as NFF president,he was one of those that criticized Keshi heavily and plotting secretly for Sunday Oliseh to coach Super eagles the moment he became NFF president.
because he sidelined amokachi and was chopping egunje alone. Amokachi had no say in the team

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 4:12pm On Feb 08, 2022
charlesemeka85:
because he sidelined amokachi and was chopping egunje alone. Amokachi had no say in the team
cheesy cheesy grin no kill me with laughter abeg which one be he dey chop egunje alone baba no to trust the statement of all this ex international's Same amokachi that stated it point blank that keshi was the best man he ever worked with and will always cherish the time dey spent together wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 4:12pm On Feb 08, 2022
Ex Juventus Director Moggi – I
Prefer Osimhen To Dusan
Vlahovic, He Decides Games
More

https://www.owngoalnigeria.com/2022/02/08/ex-juventus-director-moggi-i-prefer-osimhen-to-dusan-vlahovic-he-decides-games-more/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 4:13pm On Feb 08, 2022
Kog45:
Sir,Sadiq,Awoniyi and Dessers should just step aside for that match.If I have my way Maduka too....the issue with Sadiq is that his good performance in any match is not guaranteed.

Nigeria vs Ghana we need players who will delivered at any giving opportunity,no mistake should occur or else we paid dearly for it.

Semi is cool.

Osimhen should be first striker then gidigbo ighalo looks like he still have something to offer more than Sadiq and awoniyi for now ,I just have to say this despite the likeness I have for awo bobo ,onuachu is another man in the picture but should be used as a super sub when things doesn’t go well
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 4:20pm On Feb 08, 2022
Kog45:
Sir,I watched Iheanacho closely in just concluded Afcon and I want to say I wasn't impressed.In the absence of Osimehn I expected much from him.....check it out
1.Uzoho
2.Aina
3.Sanusi
4.Balogun
5.Ekong
6.Ndidi
7.Etebo
8.Aribo
9.Simeon
10.Osimehn
11.Iheanacho....4-3-3 against Ghana.

This formation is problematic! Only 2 of Etebo, Aribo and Iheanacho is needed.
We need an additional winger to bring stability. Olayinka/Chuz/Ejuke should start! Etebo shouldn't be starting.
He hasn't play a lot of football in the last month.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 4:24pm On Feb 08, 2022
Kog45:
Oga pls let's talk about our WC qualifier match against Ghana....Stephen Okechucwu Keshi is late and he will be remembered for winning Afcon as a player and as a coach,reaching WC second round,first to captain Super eagles to WC,longest serving captain 1984-1994....a player that was banned from national team and NPFL by Anthony Ikhazobo for playing for New Nigeria bank in Wafu cup final but couldn't make it to camp on a deadline date.He ran away to Ivory coast and was signed by stade of Abidjan when he thought he had no hope.He move to Belgian league from Ivory coast to sign for Lokeren and moved to giant Anderlecht after a season.The first Nigerian to play in any major European cup final,against Sampdoria....Stephen Keshi didn't for once criticized NFA for his expelled from football in Nigeria.He made it possible for the likes of Austin Eguavoen,Samson Siasia,Ademola Adeshina,Osaro Obabaifo,Andrew Uwe and many more to come to Belgium for Pro career....The highest Super eagles defender with goals till date.

He has done well no matter how some would like to paint him bad....till today no Nigeria player ex or active love Nigeria Super eagles than Stephen Okechucwu Keshi.

I challenge anyone to come out where Stephen Okechucwu Keshi was indicted for bribery.

RIP the Big boss.
Didn't Keshi even become captain of Anderlecht? The first and only person to have qualified a no WC hoper country for the WC, intact Togo may not qualify again in years to come. The only african to have qualified two different countries for the WC, intact Keshi you too much!!!! Was he perfect, of course not, like all of us but that doesn't make him less of a legend!!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12600) (12601) (12602) (12603) (12604) (12605) (12606) ... (16363) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: femicyrus(m), Ppogbae, Nomyth, Goke7, opes, dijon and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.