Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,059 members, 7,849,281 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 05:48 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (13018) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11855195 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13015) (13016) (13017) (13018) (13019) (13020) (13021) ... (16247) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:34am On Apr 04, 2022
komekn:

I don't enthrone mediocrity and don't praise sing when there is nothing to praise.

But I do give Measured and objective commendation when due.

My comments given according to you " with my head in shame"

Can you explain why Iheanacho's goal per shot ratio is better than Harry Kane Harry has 12 goals with 99 shots and KC has scored 3 goals with 23 shots.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 9:04am On Apr 04, 2022
Subzero47:

It doesn't excite me because it doesn't translate to anything for Nigeria

Well for me, it's the people that excite me, not the country.

Nigeria doesn't qualify for next 20 years, so far Iwobi is splitting English defences and Osimhen is jumping Italian fence, I'm alright.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 9:07am On Apr 04, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

Can you explain why Iheanacho's goal per shot ratio is better than Harry Kane Harry has 12 goals with 99 shots and KC has scored 3 goals with 23 shots.

Shot attempts is actually not a deduction of quality at all.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 9:16am On Apr 04, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

Komekn, it is time for your morning lessons.
I believe you will make it to school today.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 10:29am On Apr 04, 2022
Subzero47:

This thing doesn't excite me anymore

Untill we start using midfielders our strikers will struggle to score and we won't go far in international football.
It doesn't matter if our central midfielders are from obscure leagues as we don't have too many talented players in the middle.
Most African teams have noticed our midfield is a problem and will capitalize on it.
The new set of new players must be midfieldets. From ovie ejaria to rabiu Ibrahim to alhassan Yusuf or whoever.
The next coach should get us 10 natural midfielders who can create chances and protect the defence.
Midfield is the engine room of a team and the sooner our coaches realize this the better.
They should stop calling 10 strikers and 3 midfielders.
Who will pass to the ten strikers.
Journalists in our local league should talk more about midfielders than strikers. In fact create an award for most creative player or midfielder and recommend him to the national team.
I'm surprised we don't appreciate creative players and we need them badly in our midfield

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 11:12am On Apr 04, 2022
elyte89:

We don't have to criticize govt in everything dey do,at least dis one honoured d failed promise by d past govts.. However u said d aws given looks like a public toilet,were u expecting d fg to give dem a luxurious mansion each undecided undecided? I am sure u an adult and u knw aw govt housing scheme looks like(its always a low cost housing scheme for d masses)mostly 3bedroom spacious flats)...so u don't expect dem to go outside d norm.
I have seen better govt built houses. That house is supposed to be a reward for being exemplary so I don't think it should be part of low cost housing scheme sir. Typically govt housing schemes come in at least low cost and medium cost. Yes the Buhari govt should be commended for honoring a failed promise, I agree and at the same time I wasn't expecting a luxurious mansion but in my mind, the house is symbolic. This is supposed to be a reward for being national heroes, for bringing honor and glory to the country, also for the fact that it has been long overdue should be the more reason why it should be more than ordinary.
That said, to each his own, good day GRANDPA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:36am On Apr 04, 2022
Pedri again showed yesterday why the midfield is so important to a team. When the going gets tough in the final third for your Strikers and wingers, it is the midfield that steps up.
Brains over brawns has always been my stance in the middle game. A mix of it gives you the best tactical balance always but having much more brains mixed with decent workrate/brawn will almost always give you the edge.

We don't boast elite Midfielders across Europe. Ndidi is the only lad in our current team who comes close to an elite Midfielder.

So anyone hoping for a sprout of 7-8 top MFs out of nowhere is deluding himself/herself.
We would not get the MFs we need if we keep ignoring the ones we have all because they are in Belgium, Norway, or maybe Sweden or in the second tiers of some of the top 5 leagues in the world.

We have to reinforce with what we have because the ones you lust after like Olise don't even want you. Lol

The Afcon taught us lessons (some of which have been taught before but ignored as usual) and we saw some MFs of Lower tier teams bossing it over MFs of top tier teams. We saw that talent is not limited to just playing in the top 5 leagues or for the top half sides in the top 5 leagues.

Examples are Dango Ouattara of Lorient (Ligue 1) and Burkina Faso, Gustavo Sangare of QR Metropole (Ligue 2) and B/Faso, Pablo Ganet of Real Murcia (La Liga 2) & Eq.Guinea, Jose Machin of Monza (Serie B) & Equatorial Guinea just to mention a few standout unknowns.

We have a huge midfield problem in terms of deeplying creativity, playmaking and conduction and whether we like it or not, only a few midfielders with the matching skillsets can address that deficiency in the middle.
We have to stop kidding ourselves. We have more of Workrate merchants and brawn-over-brains Midfield players.

If we are serious, then we will address this midfield imbalance that has bedevilled us for far too long since Mikel's powers waned before he finally left the GWG scene.

Philosopher1979:

Untill we start using midfielders our strikers will struggle to score and we won't go far in international football.
It doesn't matter if our central midfielders are from obscure leagues as we don't have too many talented players in the middle.
Most African teams have noticed our midfield is a problem and will capitalize on it.
The new set of new players must be midfieldets. From ovie ejaria to rabiu Ibrahim to alhassan Yusuf or whoever.
The next coach should get us 10 natural midfielders who can create chances and protect the defence.
Midfield is the engine room of a team and the sooner our coaches realize this the better.
Journalists in our local league should talk more about midfielders than strikers. In fact create an award for most creative player or midfielder and recommend him to the national team.
I'm surprised we don't appreciate creative players and we need them badly in our midfield

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 12:06pm On Apr 04, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Pedri again showed yesterday why the midfield is so important to a team. When the going gets tough in the final third for your Strikers and wingers, it is the midfield that steps up.
Brains over brawns has always been my stance in the middle game. A mix of it gives you the best tactical balance always but having much more brains mixed with decent workrate/brawn will almost always give you the edge.

We don't boast elite Midfielders across Europe. Ndidi is the only lad in our current team who comes close to an elite Midfielder.

So anyone hoping for a sprout of 7-8 top MFs out of nowhere is deluding himself/herself.
We would not get the MFs we need if we keep ignoring the ones we have all because they are in Belgium, Norway, or maybe Sweden or in the second tiers of some of the top 5 leagues in the world.

We have to reinforce with what we have because the ones you lust after like Olise don't even want you. Lol

The Afcon taught us lessons (some of which have been taught before but ignored as usual) and we saw some MFs of Lower tier teams bossing it over MFs of top tier teams. We saw that talent is not limited to just playing in the top 5 leagues or for the top half sides in the top 5 leagues.

Examples are Dango Ouattara of Lorient (Ligue 1) and Burkina Faso, Gustavo Sangare of QR Metropole (Ligue 2) and B/Faso, Pablo Ganet of Real Murcia (La Liga 2) & Eq.Guinea, Jose Machin of Monza (Serie B) & Equatorial Guinea just to mention a few standout unknowns.

We have a huge midfield problem in terms of deeplying creativity, playmaking and conduction and whether we like it or not, only a few midfielders with the matching skillsets can address that deficiency in the middle.
We have to stop kidding ourselves. We have more of Workrate merchants and brawn-over-brains Midfield players.

If we are serious, then we will address this midfield imbalance that has bedevilled us for far too long since Mikel's powers waned before he finally left the GWG scene.

Give us suggestions(midfielders).. Give us names both local.and international players.. smiley

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:20pm On Apr 04, 2022
If you have been following all the reports I had been dropping since last year on our players' performances alongside occasional mentions this year when I am around, then it won't be hard drawing up a list of the midfielders we can tap from going forward that strongly address our MF ball playing deficiency.

I have a list but I would rather you all figure it out yourselves.

I have said what I have said. So don't think you can bait me into anything.
Coz I know exactly what will happen. I drop names now and all you and others will do is talk them down when the point is they are what we have.

So Elyte, figure it out for yourselves. No be today I begin dey talk about our midfield problems.

elyte89:

Give us suggestions(midfielders).. Give us names both local.and international players.. smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 12:37pm On Apr 04, 2022
Philosopher1979:

Well said. Yekini scored a lot of goals because our MF was strong then. From Thomson Oliha, to Friday Ekpo, Finidi, Oliseh, Okocha, Adepoju, etc. Most of our goals from the wingers were still created through the MF. It was still the MF that opens the spaces for the wingers to run in. If the MF is poor we will continue suffering. QED. I prayed and prayed that Amoo be introduced in that game, hell no.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 12:41pm On Apr 04, 2022
elyte89:

We don't have to criticize govt in everything dey do,at least dis one honoured d failed promise by d past govts.. However u said d aws given looks like a public toilet,were u expecting d fg to give dem a luxurious mansion each undecided undecided? I am sure u an adult and u knw aw govt housing scheme looks like(its always a low cost housing scheme for d masses)mostly 3bedroom spacious flats)...so u don't expect dem to go outside d norm.
I'm not really a government critic. But below is what a low cost house should look like.

The problem with that house is that it is so shabbily designed and utterly distasteful sad

1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:56pm On Apr 04, 2022
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:59pm On Apr 04, 2022
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Damioduso1: 1:07pm On Apr 04, 2022
charlesemeka85:
https://www.owngoalnigeria.com/2022/04/04/exclusive-sunday-oliseh-in-prime-position-to-be-named-new-super-eagles-coach/
. I don't think we have learn anything from our past we still repeating the same set of coaches in the national team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 1:14pm On Apr 04, 2022
I'm not sure we are ready to leave the trenches.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by robosky02(m): 1:51pm On Apr 04, 2022
Amedino99:

Seriously

Why can't they do the right time for once

This minister of football self dey cause more wahala
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:00pm On Apr 04, 2022
charlesemeka85:
https://www.owngoalnigeria.com/2022/04/04/exposed-eguavoen-and-co-didnt-know-when-ghana-switched-to-back-five-a-player-told-them/

How can you not know when a team switch to a back 5 ?

Many monikers here have more footballing brains than some of these coaches

Na wa ooo

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Damioduso1: 2:02pm On Apr 04, 2022
I don't think we learn anything from our mistake as a nation . We keep repeating the same mistake every time . I hope is just a rumour and not Truth about the story .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:05pm On Apr 04, 2022
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 2:11pm On Apr 04, 2022
jihday:
I really hope this isn’t true

Abi o...its better we kuku retain eguavoen/amunike if dis is d only option left

Oliseh bawo undecided

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:18pm On Apr 04, 2022
elyte89:

Abi o...its better we kuku retain eguavoen/amunike if dis is d only option left

Oliseh bawo undecided
as in ehn, just give us Amunike let us move on
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:30pm On Apr 04, 2022
This one is busy throwing jibe at abroad born players ,you will think our home based players are the best or even dominating chan or wafu tournaments

Imagine this one as super eagles coach ,then it’s finished grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:49pm On Apr 04, 2022
Funny how this report partly shows a glimpse of what I already knew.

Eguavoen and Amunike were clearly not in sync with each other. Eguavoen didn't listen. This is why I say this loss is majorly on him.

Amunike did complain about Dennis' unwillingness to track back/track a man and truly it is that one moment of lackadaisicality that earned Ghana the throw-in, in the first place. Then from the same throw-in, Dennis again didn't track his man.

Abeg, I have read and seen enough. Eguavoen is a true dunce.

And Ghana actually switched to a 4-5-1 at the beginning of the second half. The DM dropped back to the back four to make it 5 at the back leaving 4 in the middle and only Afena up front in case of a quick counter.

Inability to read opponent tactical switches and then not being in tactical sync with your assistants further exposes Eguavoen for the one dimensional dummy he is as a coach. Tufiakwa!!!!

charlesemeka85:
https://www.owngoalnigeria.com/2022/04/04/exposed-eguavoen-and-co-didnt-know-when-ghana-switched-to-back-five-a-player-told-them/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:01pm On Apr 04, 2022
Amedino99:

OGN has their moments when they are wrong, right, half wrong, half right.

I hope this is one of those totally wrong moments. Oliseh ke?? Same man who ended Enyeama's career with us? Same man who disrespected Mikel obi's place in the team??

Heeeiii... Abeg nau. Some never still recover from the WC Ticket loss and Oliseh's previous reign of chaos as our coach.

I know he is kinda tactically sound as he showed that with Fortuna Sittard contributing to their promotion to the Dutch Eredivisie but abeg... Man is a temperamental nuclear bomb. Man management is not his thing and I don't know how much he's improved in that aspect.

I don't trust this Oliseh fellow. Tactically maybe I can a little but as a man manager?? Even Rohr is a better man manager than this man.

Nna why are the people at the helm of affairs bent on extending our chaos like this? Na only we waka come into nadir boulevard? Haba

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:03pm On Apr 04, 2022
Fake news.

Government is planning to employ a foreign coach.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 3:04pm On Apr 04, 2022
So una de believe owngoal when it suits your biases abi grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:20pm On Apr 04, 2022
Actually no. Because I still don't rate that site so much except when it comes to lineups. But what that report carries is no much different from the other reports I got via personal investigation.

Also, Amunike was indeed quoted on Dennis before OGN put it up.

Truth remains that Eguavoen and Amunike were clearly not in sync on the whole. EGU DID HIS THING AS ALWAYS and it ultimately cost us from tactical standpoints. His tactical monotonousness is something I have pointed out since Afcon2021 so this should not be news to anyone here.

Odunayaw:
So una de believe owngoal when it suits your biases abi grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 3:35pm On Apr 04, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

In a nutshell, why go to Sokoto to find something already in our sokoto!!! Bring on Jibola!!!! According to African China:
If I say Kele, you say chi,
another man say Nwakali
Omo na you sabi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 3:37pm On Apr 04, 2022
elyte89:

We all know now, the midfield generalissimo, deep lying playmaker m, the inky one with the critical skillset we need.
Anyway make i go buy hammer, nails and wood for the crucifixion cross
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by caprikon: 3:43pm On Apr 04, 2022
It's interesting to see how Eguavoen went from looking like the missing part of the SE puzzle to being a major part of the problem itself.

Eguavoen takes some of the blame as the coach but let us also remember how a lot us, asked for him to continue post AFCON. If Peseiro was hired and came short against Ghana, the NFF would have been roasted by fans.

We need to admit that this crop of players aren't as special as we think.
This is not a golden generation, just regular naija footballers. That's how we kept naming every Olympic team after Atlanta 96.. "Dream Team" ..even when na dreamers full the team in some cases.

It is pointless clamouring for certain names when we find it easy throwing them under the bus when things go sour. The NFF should do a thorough job in choosing the next coach...a coach that is a fit for the current set of players we have not necessarily the fantasy of fans and pundits.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 3:43pm On Apr 04, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

OGN has their moments when they are wrong, right, half wrong, half right.

I hope this is one of those totally wrong moments. Oliseh ke?? Same man who ended Enyeama's career with us? Same man who disrespected Mikel obi's place in the team??

Heeeiii... Abeg nau. Some never still recover from the WC Ticket loss and Oliseh's previous reign of chaos as our coach.

I know he is kinda tactically sound as he showed that with Fortuna Sittard contributing to their promotion to the Dutch Eredivisie but abeg... Man is a temperamental nuclear bomb. Man management is not his thing and I don't know how much he's improved in that aspect.

I don't trust this Oliseh fellow. Tactically maybe I can a little but as a man manager?? Even Rohr is a better man manager than this man.

Nna why are the people at the helm of affairs bent on extending our chaos like this? Na only we waka come into nadir boulevard? Haba
No to Oliseh. Dude needs to work on his temperament. Even Emenike left the national team because of Oliseh. You are so on point.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:57pm On Apr 04, 2022
Don't be a dunce yourself by reducing my use of "midfielders" to midfielder. I clearly pluralised my Tots and said I have a list. Is a list of one a list at all?

I clearly dropped a small chunk of a major issue (I.e. the Midfield issue) I have always pointed out since the time of Gernot Rohr's final 2 yrs with us leading into Eguavoen's own reign of tactical one dimensionalism and all you see here is a cheap chance to totally digress into brainless discourse.

Nigerian football is again in a dark spot so abeg quote me with something more intellectually sound, and solution-laden and not this noise some of you, in here, take glory in while offering little or zero substance.

AndSunGorilla:

In a nutshell, why go to Sokoto to find something already in our sokoto!!! Bring on Jibola!!!! According to African China:
If I say Kele, you say chi,
another man say Nwakali
Omo na you sabi

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (13015) (13016) (13017) (13018) (13019) (13020) (13021) ... (16247) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: immobilare(m), Psittacus(m), enlady(f), Zellas, cromz(m), Danielnino00(m), lakesidepapa(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.