Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,446 members, 7,846,851 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 04:00 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1307) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11841813 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1304) (1305) (1306) (1307) (1308) (1309) (1310) ... (16240) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by femianski: 11:49am On Aug 22, 2017
thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:49am On Aug 22, 2017
goldfish80:

There goes Emmanuel Daniel. The man Nigerians on the Internet want in goal for Cameroun ahead of Akpeyi.
His last competitive appearance should be close to a year now. When we said Daniel was not the answer, it was for a reason.

The news does not make Akpeyi a better choice. During the Olympics, it was clear who was the better goalkeeper.

You are making it look as if it was Akpeyi that displaced Emma in Orlando Pirates.

Emma Daniel beyond reasonable doubt showed he was a better keeper than Akpeyi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:51am On Aug 22, 2017
safarigirl:
the final job of a striker is to strike. If a striker is involved in overall play, but is not scoring those goals, he has failed.

Midfielders are there for creation, defenders are there to defend, if a striker is a hybrid of a MF and DF, but is not scoring, nobody really cares.

The primary aim of a striker is to strike, every other thing is secondary. This clear understanding of roles is the reason CR7 has been trumping Messi for the past two seasons and is set to trump him the third time.

In the end, Nacho needs to keep improving and doing this means improving in other areas because his finishing is already quality.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:09pm On Aug 22, 2017
Icon4s:

Victor Moses towers above all those players you mentioned.

How can you say we should confine him to the RB position. We don't have that kind of options upfront that will warrant us to do such.

Those were some good players I mentioned nonetheless. We also need to be solid at the back if we are to have any chance of beating Cameroun. Victor Moses offers us a guaranteed lock down defender and he will also open up space for the forwards. I don't believe it would be confining him because full backs score goals for Nigeria and torment defenses also.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:10pm On Aug 22, 2017
welcome officially to the thread. Hoping you will contribute to their great work.

femianski:
good morning everyone in this thread
this would be my first post on nairaland
I av been a ghost reader for about a year
I must really commend you guys for a great work in this thread most especially the goodjoe the supernerd sir icons safari girl
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:15pm On Aug 22, 2017
NFF slash winning bonus of CHAN team

The Super Eagles home-based players will be paid just N200, 000 after they were promised N700, 000.

Published: 20.08.2017
Steve Dede

The Super Eagles Team B are not happy over the slashing of their winning bonus by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).

The home-based Super Eagles players on Saturday, August 19 beat the Republic of Benin 2-0 (2-1 aggregate) to qualify for the 2018 Africa Nations Championship (CHAN).

After the game, the players learnt that their winning bonus has been slashed from N700, 000 ($2000) which was promised to N200, 000 ($600).

“We were told before the first leg game in Cotonou that our winning bonus is $2000. The Federation also told us in Cotonou that they came with the bonus only for us to lose the game,” a player whose name was withheld told Naija Football Plus.

“We won yesterday and the NFF told us our winning bonus would be N200,000. We were told to drop our account details and expect alert on Monday.”

It is understood that some of the players spent their own money on flights to and fro camp and the N200, 000 received from the NFF cannot make up for the expenses.

“We put everything into the game to ensure we save the NFF from another disaster of not qualifying for tournaments and this is our reward for serving our country with our hearts," the unnamed player added.

“We are not happy, we are bitter. This treatment towards us is unacceptable, it is not about the money but the manner they treated us and the lies. We are glad we didn’t fail our nation but the NFF should have kept their promises."

Rabiu Ali and Kingsley Eduwo scored the goals as the Super Eagles beat the Republic of Benin to qualify for the 2018 CHAN in Kenya.

http://www.pulse.ng/sports/football/nff-splash-winning-bonus-of-chan-super-eagles-id7174912.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 12:18pm On Aug 22, 2017
femianski:
good morning everyone in this thread
this would be my first post on nairaland
I av been a ghost reader for about a year
I must really commend you guys for a great work in this thread most especially the goodjoe the supernerd sir icons safari girl

you try and welcome,oooo

but....but..... No go put eye for first lady side ooo,

cos nah NO GO AREA cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:19pm On Aug 22, 2017
Nigeria na Nigeria

BascoVanVeli:

The Super Eagles home-based players will be paid just N200, 000 after they were promised N700, 000.

Steve Dede

The Super Eagles Team B are not happy over the slashing of their winning bonus by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).

The home-based Super Eagles players on Saturday, August 19 beat the Republic of Benin 2-0 (2-1 aggregate) to qualify for the 2018 Africa Nations Championship (CHAN).

After the game, the players learnt that their winning bonus has been slashed from N700, 000 ($2000) which was promised to N200, 000 ($600).

“We were told before the first leg game in Cotonou that our winning bonus is $2000. The Federation also told us in Cotonou that they came with the bonus only for us to lose the game,” a player whose name was withheld told Naija Football Plus.

“We won yesterday and the NFF told us our winning bonus would be N200,000. We were told to drop our account details and expect alert on Monday.”

It is understood that some of the players spent their own money on flights to and fro camp and the N200, 000 received from the NFF cannot make up for the expenses.

“We put everything into the game to ensure we save the NFF from another disaster of not qualifying for tournaments and this is our reward for serving our country with our hearts," the unnamed player added.

“We are not happy, we are bitter. This treatment towards us is unacceptable, it is not about the money but the manner they treated us and the lies. We are glad we didn’t fail our nation but the NFF should have kept their promises."

Rabiu Ali and Kingsley Eduwo scored the goals as the Super Eagles beat the Republic of Benin to qualify for the 2018 CHAN in Kenya.

http://www.pulse.ng/sports/football/nff-splash-winning-bonus-of-chan-super-eagles-id7174912.html

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bishop88: 12:28pm On Aug 22, 2017
Joebie:
Nigeria na Nigeria

this things the nff are doing to this players is not good... I want ex players to work the ways in this position to help us move forward if not our football will not move forward coz this politicians will do us no good.. Just imagine this nonsense..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:47pm On Aug 22, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Those were some good players I mentioned nonetheless. We also need to be solid at the back if we are to have any chance of beating Cameroun. Victor Moses offers us a guaranteed lock down defender and he will also open up space for the forwards. I don't believe it would be confining him because full backs score goals for Nigeria and torment defenses also.

We need him more in that WF position.

As I said we are not much blessed with choices so we need to maximise the potentials of our players.

A shehu Abdulahi or Kenneth Omeruo can man that RB.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:49pm On Aug 22, 2017
Icon4s:

As I said we are not much blessed with choices so we need to maximise the potentials of our players.

Omeruo is not even on the new list if reports are to be believed, he is on standby in case there is an injury.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:49pm On Aug 22, 2017
Gernot Rohr during his playing days at Bordeaux

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:51pm On Aug 22, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

The news does not make Akpeyi a better choice. During the Olympics, it was clear who was the better goalkeeper.

You are making it look as if it was Akpeyi that displaced Emma in Orlando Pirates.

Emma Daniel beyond reasonable doubt showed he was a better keeper than Akpeyi.

Was or is he better than Alampasu? I mean Emmanuel Daniel.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:52pm On Aug 22, 2017
tbaba1234:

Omeruo is not even on the new list if reports are to be believed, he is on standby in case there is an injury.

Until the full list is out.

But would you rather we played Victor Moses as a Right full back?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:54pm On Aug 22, 2017
Icon4s:

No way.. It will be a waste.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:55pm On Aug 22, 2017
tbaba1234:

No way.. It will be a waste.
Please tell Bascovanveli o.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:00pm On Aug 22, 2017
Icon4s:

Was or is he better than Alampasu? I mean Emmanuel Daniel.

I am not sure but I think he was. Either way, I think Alampasu did not make it to the final camp based on club duties.

I will gladly welcome Emmanuel Daniel to camp to work with the current trainer to select the best among all.

Alampasu vs Emmanuel Daniel, I am not sure but Akpeyi vs Emmanuel Daniel, I am sure that Emmanuel Daniel is better.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:03pm On Aug 22, 2017

If this is true then the NFF people must correct this wrong. This is scamming players working for the country and it is intolerable.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 1:49pm On Aug 22, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Steve Dede

biko is it per person?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:54pm On Aug 22, 2017
safarigirl:
the final job of a striker is to strike. If a striker is involved in overall play, but is not scoring those goals, he has failed.

Midfielders are there for creation, defenders are there to defend, if a striker is a hybrid of a MF and DF, but is not scoring, nobody really cares.

The primary aim of a striker is to strike, every other thing is secondary. This clear understanding of roles is the reason CR7 has been trumping Messi for the past two seasons and is set to trump him the third time.

Soothing, perceptive write up.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:00pm On Aug 22, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I am not sure but I think he was. Either way, I think Alampasu did not make it to the final camp based on club duties.

I will gladly welcome Emmanuel Daniel to camp to work with the current trainer to select the best among all.

Alampasu vs Emmanuel Daniel, I am not sure but Akpeyi vs Emmanuel Daniel, I am sure that Emmanuel Daniel is better.

Emmanuel Daniel was obviously better than Alampasu at that U23. Forget that his club did not release him. He would not have displaced Emmanuel Daniel in that Olympics team.

Fast ward to now I cannot vouch that Emmanuel Daniel is still better than Alampasu.
Emmanuel Daniel has not been involved in any competitive action for a year now.

That was then and this is now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:21pm On Aug 22, 2017
Our heroes will not play a big role in football administration. It is not in our mentality. It all starts from their playing days, to their years just before retirement. It's not in our character.

bishop88:
this things the nff are doing to this players is not good... I want ex players to work the ways in this position to help us move forward if not our football will not move forward coz this politicians will do us no good.. Just imagine this nonsense..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:24pm On Aug 22, 2017
lol we are still having this discussion few days to the Cameroon double header.. haha.. na wa oh. Abi make we use Osas Okoro. Our left back is still a problem oh. I no trust Echiejile enough.

Icon4s:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 2:26pm On Aug 22, 2017
Lol at Kelechi Iheanacho famous bad first touch. Why would a professional player struggle with a simple first touch ? Kelechi will be doomed soon as people find out he can't keep a ball down,no club will sign him. Kelechi needs a lot of work.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:50pm On Aug 22, 2017
Icon4s:

Emmanuel Daniel was obviously better than Alampasu at that U23. Forget that his club did not release him. He would not have displaced Emmanuel Daniel in that Olympics team.

Fast ward to now I cannot vouch that Emmanuel Daniel is still better than Alampasu.
Emmanuel Daniel has not been involved in any competitive action for a year now.

That was then and this is now.

Talent does not fade in the air. Especially, not in a year. As I said, I will have no problem if Emmanuel Daniel comes to camp. At the end, we need the very best in the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:52pm On Aug 22, 2017
OMANBALA1:
Lol at Kelechi Iheanacho famous bad first touch. Why would a professional player struggle with a simple first touch ? Kelechi will be doomed soon as people find out he can't keep a ball down,no club will sign him. Kelechi needs a lot of work.

Kelechi Iheanacho has good ball control. His only challenge in that aspect when he is under pressure. He is a brilliant talent, monitored for years by quality scouts. Club will always want him, especially with his brilliant finishing attribute.

It seems you did not watch his brilliant thigh control in the U17 game against Mexico after Yahaya sent him a long pass.

There was space and he took that ball down with ease.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:08pm On Aug 22, 2017
Icon4s:

The difference is that the players I mentioned have at least some form of experience at playing that position on the highest level, can u say the same for Shehu and Kenneth?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:28pm On Aug 22, 2017
Maikaba favoured to lead Flying Eagles, Ilechukwu, Biffo tipped for Golden Eaglets

By admin -
August 22, 2017
132

SCORENigeria understands that Akwa United coach Abdu Maikaba is the front runner to lead the new Flying Eagles, while MFM FC coach Fidelis Ilechukwu and Abdullahi Biffo are highly favoured for the Golden Eagles top post.

Maikaba has proved himself at Wikki Tourists and now Akwa United, while Ilechukwu’s work at MFM FC shows he is at home working with exciting young players.

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) will today in Abuja begin interviewing of the 59 applicants they short listed for vacant national team coaching positions.

For other national team posts, Rivers Angels coach Edwin Okon looks set to return as Super Falcons boss, while former Enyimba coach Paul Aigbogun, former Super Eagles World Cup Finidi George and ex-Kano Pillars coach Mohammed Baba Ganaru will be considered for the Olympic team, who were last guided by Samson Siasia.

Former Falcons star Perpetua Nkwocha and Bala Nikyu are favoured to be in charge of the country’s female U17s, the Flamingoes.

By Kola Daniel

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BounceNigeria: 3:38pm On Aug 22, 2017
Siasia has a lot of issues with many Nigerian players. In a Bounce interview with a former Eagles captain, it was revealed Siasia stripped Azubuike Okechukwu of his captain band. This is believed to have played a role in the later defeat of the eagles. http://news.bounce.ng/Content/bounceexclusive-i-was-stripped-by-siasia-super-eagles-midfielder-20170822
forgiveness:

PUZZLING SELECTION SINKS NIGERIA'S AFCON QUEST

The stakes could not be higher, but Siasia's odd selection choices robbed the Super Eagles of any flow and rhythm in attack in Alexandria

By Solace Chukwu
Where once it seemed an aberration to have an Africa Cup of Nations without Nigeria, there is now a sense of resigned inevitability to it. The Fifa ranking cops quite a bit of flak (are Cape Verde really the best team in Africa?) but in the case of the Super Eagles, it may well be overgenerous.

One miss might be considered unfortunate, but a repeat serves only to buttress the most uncomfortable of truths: Nigeria are no longer one of Africa’s best 16 teams. The 2013 triumph in South Africa seems now a distant memory, the cruel shadow of a haunting memory tugging away at the back of the mind, fluttering just out of reach and leaving in its wake baleful emptiness.

Charged with the task of exorcising that ghost was an eleven that appeared to defy logic and reason; so much so, it became convenient to see method in the madness: perhaps Siasia sought to spring a surprise on the Pharaohs, luring them into the sort of false sense of security that proved their undoing in the epic Biblical tale of Hebrew redemption at the Red Sea.

As it turns out, it was Nigeria’s wheels that came unstuck in the end. Far more worrying though than the underwhelming choices and performances of the likes of Aminu Umar and Stanley Amuzie, it was clear that, as a team, there was little conviction to how it sought to create the goal(s) required to remain in contention. Surely, if the idea was to take the game to the hosts from the off, a bit more invention in central areas than either Umar or Ahmed Musa are capable of would have seemed apposite.

Did Siasia's selection decisions undermine Nigeria?

The effect of both Victor Moses and the CSKA Moscow man taking up narrow positions meant oodles of space on the flank, but yet again – as it was against South Africa in Uyo in 2014 – neither full-back provided width on the overlap. The hosts therefore only had to defend the width of their penalty box, and were largely untroubled against an attack that appeared to feature four (five if you count a neither-fish-nor-fowl Oghenekaro Etebo) strangers uncertain of their collective moments.

Shehu Abdullahi at right-back – there’s an experiment that has spontaneously combusted in all our faces – looked totally overawed by the occasion, and was full of errors all game long. His haplessness evinced sympathy, and though it was Amuzie at left-back who was withdrawn at half-time, one gets the impression it was for lack of a proper deputy at right-back.

The Borg El Arab Stadium may have lacked the sheer weight of numbers that crammed itself into the Ahmadu Bello Stadium, Kaduna on Friday, but it made up for it with an atmosphere of hissing malevolence and zipping green lasers. It worked; aside captain John Obi Mikel and Daniel Akpeyi, who pulled off two splendid stops in the first period, no one else in green came out of this smelling of roses. If eleven subs were possible, Siasia may well have made them all.

There was perhaps no greater indication that he had got his starting line-up wrong than the nature of his substitutions: all broadly like-for-like, each introducing a player who should have started the tie—Elderson Echiejile’s experience at the highest level was surely not something to sniff at; Etebo’s impersonation of a central midfielder, untidy and imprecise as it was, gave way to the smooth Azubuike Okechukwu; while Alex Iwobi, in his 20 minutes, showed more guile and ability to knit the play together than the limited Umar managed in 70.

Quite why Siasia thought it wise to keep his powder dry so long, with his team needing a win, is anyone’s guess.

He may have saved the fine wine for last, but by the time the changes were made, the Super Eagles were addled, swaying on their feet and pretty much out for the count. It seemed almost mercifully fortunate that Moses’s fizzing shot came off the post and spun out: renewed hope, in this case, would have been little more than prolonging the agony.

What this team needs; nay, what Nigerian football needs now, is surgery.

http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4079/features/2016/03/30/21824882/puzzling-selection-sinks-nigerias-afcon-quest
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:59pm On Aug 22, 2017
I said it few pages back, that you don't change what is already working.. This is another round of experimentation. For this country, one can weep forever.

Modified.
MFM may look exciting. But looking at their statistics in goals differential, their record is laughable. Let's not take anything a way from their sleek style of play and good flow. Please leave Illechukwu alone to perfect his craft in the League. Manu Garba should remain as our U17 coach and should be well rewarded. Our bad reward system in Nigeria had always led to underhand business.

BascoVanVeli:
Maikaba favoured to lead Flying Eagles, Ilechukwu, Biffo tipped for Golden Eaglets

By admin -
August 22, 2017
132

SCORENigeria understands that Akwa United coach Abdu Maikaba is the front runner to lead the new Flying Eagles, while MFM FC coach Fidelis Ilechukwu and Abdullahi Biffo are highly favoured for the Golden Eagles top post.

Maikaba has proved himself at Wikki Tourists and now Akwa United, while Ilechukwu’s work at MFM FC shows he is at home working with exciting young players.

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) will today in Abuja begin interviewing of the 59 applicants they short listed for vacant national team coaching positions.

For other national team posts, Rivers Angels coach Edwin Okon looks set to return as Super Falcons boss, while former Enyimba coach Paul Aigbogun, former Super Eagles World Cup Finidi George and ex-Kano Pillars coach Mohammed Baba Ganaru will be considered for the Olympic team, who were last guided by Samson Siasia.

Former Falcons star Perpetua Nkwocha and Bala Nikyu are favoured to be in charge of the country’s female U17s, the Flamingoes.

By Kola Daniel
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 4:16pm On Aug 22, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Kelechi Iheanacho has good ball control. His only challenge in that aspect when he is under pressure. He is a brilliant talent, monitored for years by quality scouts. Club will always want him, especially with his brilliant finishing attribute.

It seems you did not watch his brilliant thigh control in the U17 game against Mexico after Yahaya sent him a long pass.

There was space and he took that ball down with ease.

Nnaa,how can you have a good ball control without a stable first touch and to make things worse you are a danm striker. One of the most important feature of a striker is that first touch. You can't be world class if you are a good finisher without a good ball control. Kelechi should be more concerned with his first touch than starting a game.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1304) (1305) (1306) (1307) (1308) (1309) (1310) ... (16240) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.