Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (13192) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11652300 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13189) (13190) (13191) (13192) (13193) (13194) (13195) ... (16147) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:01pm On May 21, 2022
Unnamed Italian club interested in Calvin bassey while Aston villa sent scouts to watch him earlier today against hearts
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 9:17pm On May 21, 2022
Blueelf:

You dey always defend am now
grin cheesy

yes after una wrongly accuse am, nah so them do GEJ, now Bubu want finish us

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Koboko99(m): 9:35pm On May 21, 2022
Within the space of one week, 22 years old Calvin Bassey played in two finals and was voted man of the match in both games. MONSTER MODE!!!

But one person for here talk say he's all brawl and no brains! Make una try to dey fear God with all this upper iweka analysis.

21 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:38pm On May 21, 2022
Koboko99:
Within the space of one week, 22 years old Calvin Bassey played in two finals and was voted man of the match in both games. MONSTER MODE!!!

But one person for here talk say he's all brawl and no brains! Make una try to dey fear God with all this upper iweka analysis.
upper iweka analysis no be small cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:40pm On May 21, 2022
Jordan torunarigha hv been playing regularly for gent on loan from hertha Berlin

I think it won’t be bad if he is sounded out again by the nff because we are in need of quality in the cb positions

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 9:45pm On May 21, 2022
On u21

1. Still bumping into each other
2. Each player trying to impress
3. No fluidity from back to final 3rd
4. A lot of running with the ball
5. Certain players from the north begin with a lot of speed and energy, but towards the end gets tired and fatigued
6. The defenders need good positioning and coordination
7. A leader is yet to emerge[Daga is only balling but not leading]
If they meet an European or a South American team, the match will be over in 30 minutes

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 9:56pm On May 21, 2022
On Daniel Daga

The name alone reminds of a certain type of basket made during a basketball match which kills off the spirit of opponents and gives the winning team an unassailable lead.

However, this Daga is a human person with a human name.Full of confidence. Flamboyant even in celebrating a goal. Hawkish vision. Composed...skillful..

More is expected from him as the team gels

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:03pm On May 21, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
The Mbappe to Madrid saga is finally over

Mbappe just played a fast one on Madrid.

In one summer, Madrid missed out on Haaland and Mbappe. Heartbreaking.

They would have gone for Haaland but they prioritised their Mbappe chase over anything else. So Haaland settled for Man City.

Then cometh the hour when Madrid thought they had their boy and he has stunned them with a screamer.

Mbappe calls Perez to communicate his No and will stay for 3 more yrs at PSG Commanding more powers than any player at the club. He is become a God in Paris.

Football is business afterall. The Mbappe camp played their cards well and got the best financial deal for their client but in the long run, will shunning the biggest club in the world come back later to haunt Mbappe? Time will tell.

I'm convinced PSG is being used as a front for money laundering by the Qatari billionaires, cus WTF? 1.6m weekly salary! 300m signing bonus!

Mbappe has essentially taken over Messi and Neymar has the most powerful player at the club.. If he doesn't win the champions league, he might never win the balon d'or but who cares?
In the next decade, the amount football will be generating ehn... Parents will soon stop the habit of stopping their kids from playing football instead of studying grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 10:04pm On May 21, 2022
gamaliel9:
On u21

1. Still bumping into each other
2. Each player trying to impress
3. No fluidity from back to final 3rd
4. A lot of running with the ball
5. Certain players from the north begin with a lot of speed and energy, but towards the end gets tired and fatigued
6. The defenders need good positioning and coordination
7. A leader is yet to emerge[Daga is only balling but not leading]
If they meet an European or a South American team, the match will be over in 30 minutes

So you couldn't even say one good thing the team did
I hope this isn't how you are in real life

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:32pm On May 21, 2022
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:03pm On May 21, 2022
Highlights of our own Asisat Oshoala in the UEFA Women’s Champions league

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_5Z2UE6jpw

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:05pm On May 21, 2022
Umar and Almeria, one point away from Promotion Glory

They almost lost it at the end. Against the bottom side of the league, it was meant to be a walkover but Alcorcón came with other ideas.
A late Equaliser keeps Umar and co just in the race for automatic promotion.

Umar squandered 2 good chances but Almeria still escaped with a 1-1 draw after going behind to a Zarfino goal on 81mins.

Now all they need is one point in their final game away at Omeruo's Leganes. A tough away fixture.

Valladolid (3rd with 78 pts) won today but will try Huesca for size in their own final game of the league season proper.

Almeria has the better H2H and better goals difference over Valladolid.

1 point separates Umar and La Liga.

Come May 29. Umar will look to seize his La Liga destiny.

TheSuperNerd:
The Big Focus in La Liga Smartbank today though is Sadiq Umar and Almeria's quest for automatic promotion to La Liga.

They play already relegated Alcorcón today. A sure win in my books but they have to ensure it.

Sadiq must be in La Liga. Lad has more than earned it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:10pm On May 21, 2022
Blueelf:

This news gladdens my heart

Madrid fans eying you:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:33pm On May 21, 2022
Anwan was in the top 5 of the Russian 2nd tier for Tackles and interceptions while playing for Olimp-Dolgoprudnyi before his recent Jan/Feb move to FK Khimki.
He is more naturally a CDM and then a CM as well. AM is not his natural forte. I have watched him as well.

And you are right. It has been the pattern for sometime now since the emergence of the Iheanacho set of 2013. Following the success of our 2013 Eaglets on the world stage, and further reinforced by the 2015 success of the Osimhen set, the pattern became permanent.... Genuine young talents from various football academies across the country will be snapped up by European teams into their youth sides or feeder sides from where they make their climb (some rapid, some gradual) into the Senior teams of these euro clubs.

The pattern remains till this day.

But I must point out that one or two clubs are trying to get it right.

One of them is NPFL side, Remo Stars FC. Two of their lads Lekan Oyedele (LCB/LB) and Tolulope Ojo are products of Academy sides.

Lekan Oyedele especially came from Beyond Limits Football academy, which happen to be the Academy/youth team of Remo Stars FC.

He was a member of the Amazing Beyond Limits FA team that finished second in the 2022 Torneo di Viareggio Cup held in Italy.

He also won the award of best defender of the tournament and now balls for Remo Stars in the NPFL.

That's the kind of talent moulding and blooding our other NPFL clubs can tap into.

Notice the finest high yield youngsters among your academy lads or evem from academies near you including your feeder teams from the NPFL U-15 promises and more and begin blooding them in with time and a good strategy.

Remo stars is doing this already and they are now responsible for giving the Naija U20 two of the finest players we have in that squad. A LB also adept at CB (LCB) in Oyedele, MVP defender of an international youth tournament and also a lovely RW prospect in Tolulope Ojo, Wafu B finals hero.

So, my dear philosopher, we can get it right if we really want to.

All our finest talents don't need to go straight to Europe from Academies.

Some would still go through such route but others can still fall into good clubs locally before eventually finding their way to Europe.

Our NPFL clubs could tap in and also enjoy the benefit of having a hand in their development before eventually selling then to Euro clubs for huge profits akin to the Brazilian method.

It is well.

Philosopher1979:

Anwan case is exciting. I saw his profile on transfermarkt and it was stated he can play as an attacking midfielder or central midfielder. He should be in the Nigerian team in no time.

By the way supernerd. It seems our grassroots football is tied to foreign leagues and not our local leagues like enyimba, Kano pillars etc. Our best players move from football academies to Europe and other foreign leagues.
Our local clubs have to believe in grassroot football bad that is where the talents are.
The nff u15 is changing this but our local clubs need to patronise football academies for players.
Chidera ejuke and this anwan and most of our homegrown talents are products of football academies but our local clubs don't appreciate this enough

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:37pm On May 21, 2022
Calvin Bassey: The New Nigerian Defensive Hope

In Bassey lies the present and the future of the Super Eagles defence.

All he needs is a capable partner. The ying to his yang. The perfect nut to his bolt.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:44pm On May 21, 2022

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 12:09am On May 22, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Calvin Bassey: The New Nigerian Defensive Hope

In Bassey lies the present and the future of the Super Eagles defence.

All he needs is a[b] capable partner[/b]. The ying to his yang. The perfect nut to his bolt.

I thought what you wrote was "What he needs is a carpenter"

Chai, I rebuke every spirit of carpentry

grin grin

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:14am On May 22, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Some Calvin Bassey Moves in the Scottish Cup Final...

https://twitter.com/RangersNick1/status/1528030251661639682?t=Q8CPz42g89i9Hoq9SZbUPQ&s=19

The Gif version:

https://twitter.com/beemcadam/status/1528041364419657731?t=vf8N9AfFCvmPMlg-hahQfQ&s=19

At the end of the whole showboating, what did he do with the ball? What was his final decision? This is why I said he is all brawns. I think you guys should stop with these unnecessary hypes and let this boy focus. For now, his same is still amateurish because he positioning is still suspect, his decision making poor. He uses his physical strength more than he does his brains. Maybe he would come good with time, but you guys ain't helping him with these overhypes. I remember warning you guys also that the hypes were unnecessary when Awaziem made his Porto debut.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 8:19am On May 22, 2022
I will rather hype Bassey than Nwakali

grin cheesy

At least one has been recognized in Europe, the other one is a furniture maker (corporate carpenter)

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:39am On May 22, 2022
Koboko99:

cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:12am On May 22, 2022
Both are still our lads. One did well at the Afcon when given a chance (our highest big chances creator at that tournament) and the other has done well in Europe so far. Mustn't talk down one to raise the other.

Meanwhile.... Today is the day. EPL title decider. We will know if you will be smiling or frowning. wink

Blueelf:

grin cheesy

At least one has been recognized in Europe, the other one is a furniture maker (corporate carpenter)

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:20am On May 22, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Umar and Almeria, one point away from Promotion Glory

They almost lost it at the end. Against the bottom side of the league, it was meant to be a walkover but Alcorcón came with other ideas.
A late Equaliser keeps Umar and co just in the race for automatic promotion.

Umar squandered 2 good chances but Almeria still escaped with a 1-1 draw after going behind to a Zarfino goal on 81mins.

Now all they need is one point in their final game away at Omeruo's Leganes. A tough away fixture.

Valladolid (3rd with 78 pts) won today but will try Huesca for size in their own final game of the league season proper.

Almeria has the better H2H and better goals difference over Valladolid.

1 point separates Umar and La Liga.

Come May 29. Umar will look to seize his La Liga destiny.

They should have won that game jare

Can’t wait for the Laliga promotion confirmation
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:22am On May 22, 2022
Blueelf:

This news gladdens my heart

Better beat them in the champions league finals

All my support for Liverpool

Liverpool must win the champions league for the streets

But if you fail we go cook grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:30am On May 22, 2022
First of all, he wasn't showboating. He was simply trying to escape 3 markers to get a cross in.

Secondly, this is him back to playing as a LB and he did put in some very good crosses in the final yesterday.

Thirdly, ain't no way he is just all brawns. I repeat... Bassey is probably the closest defender to Awaziem in terms of the perfect long ball pass execution. He even does it far better than Ekong. And his ball playing composure disagrees with this "all brawns no brains" talk. He isn't there yet but believe me, he is a mix of both Bs as things stand.

Lastly these are not "unnecessary hypes". The boy has earned the attention and watching his interview after the final yesterday shows a lad who isn't allowing the praises get to his head. Chris, be glad. Bassey will only get better we hope.

Watch below:
https://twitter.com/johnmasonrtid/status/1528060631135531009?t=5V9HzZRLysaCOqz1HK_pNQ&s=19

And then this (just a bonus):
https://twitter.com/ScottishCup/status/1528085475105423361?t=jT7PxyWszEPEfJztkYcDTg&s=19

As for Awaziem, it is not like he went bad. It's just club stability he struggles with. Chidozie has always been a rock for us in GWG colors. Awaziem remains the one central defender in the Super Eagles today who can locate anyone on the pitch with any kind of long pass.
He and Nwakali were the most Dominant long passers in camp prior to the Afcon and during the Afcon campaign in camp (up until Awaziem's injury which didn't let him play at the Afcon).

The ease with which he executes the long ball is almost godlike and he is also a very assured defender. A fine combo of ruggedness and technical ability.

We must not forget so suddenly how we admitted how much improved he had gotten in Super Eagles colors prior to the Afcon.

The only issue with him is his very weird club career choices lately mostly motivated by money anyway. Leaving Boavista to go on loan to Alanyaspor all because Boavista couldn't take up his wage bill (awaziem was boavista's highest earner/most valuable player in the market but it wasnt even up to what he desired).

Awaziem haven't lived up to expectations club wise despite starring in Ligue 1, La Liga and in Portugal's top flight all because he is yet to find stability. Stability is his issue and at 25 currently, I hope he finally has that sorted this summer.

ChrisKels:

At the end of the whole showboating, what did he do with the ball? What was his final decision? This is why I said he is all brawns. I think you guys should stop with these unnecessary hypes and let this boy focus. For now, his same is still amateurish because he positioning is still suspect, his decision making poor. He uses his physical strength more than he does his brains. Maybe he would come good with time, but you guys ain't helping him with these overhypes. I remember warning you guys also that the hypes were unnecessary when Awaziem made his Porto debut.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:41am On May 22, 2022
Blueelf:

I thought what you wrote was "What he needs is a carpenter"

Chai, I rebuke every spirit of carpentry

grin grin

You sleep carpentry. You breathe Carpentry. You think Carpentry. You drink and eat Carpentry. You teach Carpentry. Your professorship is in Carpentry. And your greatest work of all time is the book you compiled on World football's finest Carpenters and plumbers. grin grin

Now you see where your Carpentry Obsession has gotten you. Even your Optic Chiasma and entire Visual pathway has been "Carpenterized"

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:32am On May 22, 2022
Blueelf:

grin cheesy

chai this my guy self cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:38am On May 22, 2022
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 10:55am On May 22, 2022
This stupid coach nor start osimhen
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 11:23am On May 22, 2022
Samueltemi337:
This stupid coach nor start osimhen

Last game of the season against a poor club with already decided positions and the player courting 100-million money suitors? What did you expect?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 12:27pm On May 22, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Better beat them in the champions league finals

All my support for Liverpool

Liverpool must win the champions league for the streets

But if you fail we go cook grin

Yes

No wahala...we go cook Madrid for the streets
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 12:29pm On May 22, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Both are still our lads. One did well at the Afcon when given a chance (our highest big chances creator at that tournament) and the other has done well in Europe so far. Mustn't talk down one to raise the other.

Meanwhile.... Today is the day. EPL title decider. We will know if you will be smiling or frowning. wink

Even if we loose the title race, I would still remain upbeat.

The lads gave a good account of themselves
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 12:34pm On May 22, 2022

(1) (2) (3) ... (13189) (13190) (13191) (13192) (13193) (13194) (13195) ... (16147) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: robosky02(m), BascoVanVeli(m), Sugarboyy(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.