Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,867 members, 7,862,894 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 08:31 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (13796) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11943930 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13793) (13794) (13795) (13796) (13797) (13798) (13799) ... (16355) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:47am On Nov 12, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Did an Ndidi x Aribo Midfield get us past the Round of 16 against a Covid ravaged Tunisian Midfield?? Did Nwakali play vs Tunisia? Why mentioning him with respect to that game?

Did that midfield duo even create chances through the middle?? We are talking raising the quality of our middle game dynamics and you are already jumping the gun to Afcon title.

Fabyom, stop deceiving yourself by asking evasive questions. You have to run well first before you can fly.

Before talking Afcon title, let us get the midfield in order. Right now, it is not in order and we only do a disservice to our national team to keep buttering them up as okay when they are poor in several middle game aspects.

And yes, the Same K. Nwakali went to that Afcon and emerged Tops as Nigeria's Highest Big Chances creator. He also turned our set piece situations into real dangers against the oppositions and did so well in the middle.

And Onyedika only had 5 cameo mins against Algeria. 5 MINS!!! Fabyom!!! 5mins!!! What did you expect him to show or do in 5 mins?? How many touches of the ball did he even make??

That you are using 5mins to rate a player shows that your level of football analysis needs to be SERIOUSLY upgraded.

You are the one spilling Half truths here. 5mins to rate Onyedika... Smh. You are unbelievable. Tufiakwa!!!

Blame the coach poor tactics not the players.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 9:47am On Nov 12, 2022
fabyom:
Iwobi, Wilf/Onyeka, and Etebo/Aribo is one of the best midfield in Africa.

Same midfield that hasn’t achieved anything in close to a decade or I’m i high

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daninya33: 9:49am On Nov 12, 2022

@TheSupernerd,What's your take on Rennes Midfielder,Lesley Ugochukwu?,does he have what it takes to boost our midfield?.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 9:51am On Nov 12, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Iwobi, Ndidi, Etebo Midfield got owned by that Algerian Midfield in 2019 in that Afcon semis. Absolutely reduced to mere passers-by.

Also, we saw Aribo x Ndidi Midfield against a Tunisian Covid-ravaged Midfield and they were totally shit. Totally clueless. Rubbish all round. Tell yourself the bloody truth and stop this nonsense.

Just stop capping Fabyom. We need to upgrade our midfield personnel in terms of tactical and technical quality and cease this "he plays in the EPL mentality".

Player Actual Quality >>>>>>> League One plays in.

Good bless you
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 9:59am On Nov 12, 2022
fabyom:
So, Alhassan, Onyedika and Nwakali midfield will win us the Nation's cup? Wow! The same Nwakali went to that AFCON. The same Onyedika played against Algeria few weeks ago he was no where to be found. Rest Supernerd. Stop the half truths.

Did all of the mentioned played combined?

Carry all them ndidi and the likes away they’re all washed out now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:09am On Nov 12, 2022
typicalgamer:

Did all of the mentioned played combined?
Carry all them ndidi and the likes away they’re all washed out now

Washed out bawo!!!!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 10:42am On Nov 12, 2022
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:02am On Nov 12, 2022
Wow. What sort of logical deductions are you making?

So Onyedika making a 5 mins appearance on his official debut is your way of reaching conclusions on who is better? Dammit! Are you even reading what you are typing? You do know that was Onyedika's first SE appearance right? Same Onyedika who bossed a midfield against Atletico Madrid in the UCL.

Smh... This is really terrible analysis.

Just look at you now making Peseiro the alpha and omega of Naija Talents. So Peseiro suddenly knows all those who are better and who's not? Lol

Same way Rohr also knew that Shehu was better than others?
Same way Oliseh knew Paul Onobi was better than Mikel Obi?

This Capping is getting really ridiculous.

And yes, we beat Egypt and but same Egypt went all the way to the final while we couldn't floor a Covid-ravaged Tunisia in the round of 16. Lolz. grin

We defeated Egypt because Carlos Quieroz and co didnt know what to expect from a coach that took over with weeks to the Afcon. The element of surprise worked in our favor and it didn't take our next decent opposition in Tunisia long to figure out how to stop us.

Prior to that game I had analysed the dangers of sticking to just that approach without tweaking the midfield to ensure dynamism and counter the likely strategy that will be thrown at us by decent teams who now knew about our "route one to wingers" strategy. What did we do? We didnt change a thing and were easily countered.

And what do you mean by "We could have equalised vs Tunisia"?

Yeah, same way we could have equalised against Argentina at WC 2018. Or against Italy at USA 1994 or even against Algeria in our last friendly.
Analysing based on "what could have been" is lame. Work with the facts.

Since you wanna be all assumptive, Why not apply your "what could have been" logic to Nwakali's sweetly crafted chance and pass to Sadiq in that 3rd game vs Guinea Bissau?

Nwakali made his way from midfield, penetratimg final third spaces and sleekily locating Sadiq. A moment of pure midfield artistry but no... he was denied an assist due to Sadiq's big miss. But you ignore that and scream No Goals, No Assists. grin

Now this takes me to the final point.... which I will drop in the next post.

fabyom:
Why would Paserio give him Onyedika five minutes and Frank 90 minutes when Onyedika is better? Paserio doesn't know a good player or what? Nwakali was at AFCON and made no difference. Zero assist and goals. We were the only team that defeated Egypt within 90 minutes with that exceptional midfield. We pressed Tunisia and could have Equalized even with 10 men. The same midfield stood tall against Brazil and Argentina. Stop the half truths Supernerd!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:05am On Nov 12, 2022
Now to the next point... tell me these are half truths as well, Capper Elite Fabyom.

Among our midfielders at Afcon 2021, no one had a better Chances creation ratio than Kelechi Nwakali.

Note: Kelechi also topped for Most Big chances created.

1. K. Nwakali - 111mins played - 4 chances created. 2 big chances created. Chance created every 27.75mins.

2. Wilfred Ndidi - 360mins played - 5 chances created. Chance created every 72mins.
Bagged his most vs Sudan (2 chances created).

3. Joe Aribo - 243mins played - 2 chances created, 1 big chance created and 1 assist. Chance created every 121.5mins.

4. Alex Iwobi - 145 mins played - 1 chance created. Chance created every 145mins.

5. Frank Onyeka - 14 mins played - No chance created, no goals, no assists... and by your own "Peseiro-Onyedika" logic... why did Eguavoen only give Onyeka 14mins since he is a good player?? grin

Do you see how silly that deduction of yours sound?

Bonus: It might interest you to know that the most effectively combined midfield chance creation for Nigeria at Afcon 2021 was seen in an Nwakali-Ndidi pairing vs Guinea Bissau with 4 chances created by the midfield that day (Nwakali- 3, Ndidi - 1).

The best that the Ndidi-Aribo pairing gave us in terms of chances creation combined in a game is 3. It came vs Egypt (Ndidi - 1, Aribo - 2).

Against Sudan, Ndidi x Aribo gave us 2 chances created combined (Aribo - 0, Ndidi - 2).

Against Covid-ravaged Tunisia, it was their WORST. The Ndidi-Aribo pair gave us just 1 chance created. (NDIDI - 1, Aribo - 0).

fabyom:
Why would Paserio give him Onyedika five minutes and Frank 90 minutes when Onyedika is better? Paserio doesn't know a good player or what? Nwakali was at AFCON and made no difference. Zero assist and goals. We were the only team that defeated Egypt within 90 minutes with that exceptional midfield. We pressed Tunisia and could have Equalized even with 10 men. The same midfield stood tall against Brazil and Argentina. Stop the half truths Supernerd!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:14am On Nov 12, 2022
I have knocked Eguavoen several times and I did so before that day and on that same day we fell to Tunisia.

But the same coach beat Egypt didn't he? Or is it the players alone that deserve praise for that win? grin

Isn't it obvious that our midfield limitations became exposed against Tunisia?

While the coach failed in his tactical assignment, the midfielders also failed in theirs.

forgiveness:

Blame the coach poor tactics not the players.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:26am On Nov 12, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
I have knocked Eguavoen several times and I did so before that day and on that same day we fell to Tunisia.

But the same coach beat Egypt didn't he? Or is it the players alone that deserve praise for that win? grin

Isn't it obvious that our midfield limitations became exposed against Tunisia?

While the coach failed in his tactical assignment, the midfielders also failed in theirs.

The coach is the anchor of a ship. It decides the direction of the ship. So, is the coach to a team.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:31am On Nov 12, 2022
Lesley Ugochukwu is a fine Midfield talent but he offers more on the defensive side than on the offensive. Comfortable playing at the base of midfield in a midfield 3 and also decent in a midfield 2 but his qualities are seen more in defensive actions and his tactical positioning in the middle.

For Rennes, he has mainly featured as a CDM and CM and he's done pretty okay so far.

He does get forward a few times but his offensive side isn't as strong. He is strong on the ball and in duels and his ball playing is decent but from games I've seen of the lad his press resistance impresses me so far. Quite decent at his age.

He's still just 18 so he is bound to manifest more qualities or improve in certain qualities with time.

Overall, a fine prospect.

Daninya33:

@TheSupernerd,What's your take on Rennes Midfielder,Lesley Ugochukwu?,does he have what it takes to boost our midfield?.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:33am On Nov 12, 2022
True. And I repeat that is why I knocked Eguavoen hard and still do so any chance I get on other platforms. That guy dey vex me and You bringing him up now again dey vex me. Abeg, I no wan talk about that guy. Abeg, him name dey give me PTSD from that Afcon.

So Eguavoen gets my biggest knocks but on a flip note, our midfield dynamics needs addressing.

And I hope you keep this same energy for Graham Potter oooo. Don't criticise any of your players then. Since Potter na the alpha and omega of London Blue grin

forgiveness:

The coach is the anchor of a ship. It decides the director of the ship. So, is the coach to a team.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:10pm On Nov 12, 2022
Frank Onyeka makes his 4th league start for Brentford in 12 league appearances vs Manchester City today.

Not surprised he starts as he is a roaming box to box pressing machine so he is expected to help disrupt Man City's possession flow.

No place to hide.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 1:20pm On Nov 12, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Wow. What sort of logical deductions are you making?

So Onyedika making a 5 mins appearance on his official debut is your way of reaching conclusions on who is better? Dammit! Are you even reading what you are typing? You do know that was Onyedika's first SE appearance right? Same Onyedika who bossed a midfield against Atletico Madrid in the UCL.

Smh... This is really terrible analysis.

Just look at you now making Peseiro the alpha and omega of Naija Talents. So Peseiro suddenly knows all those who are better and who's not? Lol

Same way Rohr also knew that Shehu was better than others?
Same way Oliseh knew Paul Onobi was better than Mikel Obi?

This Capping is getting really ridiculous.

And yes, we beat Egypt and but same Egypt went all the way to the final while we couldn't floor a Covid-ravaged Tunisia in the round of 16. Lolz. grin

We defeated Egypt because Carlos Quieroz and co didnt know what to expect from a coach that took over with weeks to the Afcon. The element of surprise worked in our favor and it didn't take our next decent opposition in Tunisia long to figure out how to stop us.

Prior to that game I had analysed the dangers of sticking to just that approach without tweaking the midfield to ensure dynamism and counter the likely strategy that will be thrown at us by decent teams who now knew about our "route one to wingers" strategy. What did we do? We didnt change a thing and were easily countered.

And what do you mean by "We could have equalised vs Tunisia"?

Yeah, same way we could have equalised against Argentina at WC 2018. Or against Italy at USA 1994 or even against Algeria in our last friendly.
Analysing based on "what could have been" is lame. Work with the facts.

Since you wanna be all assumptive, Why not apply your "what could have been" logic to Nwakali's sweetly crafted chance and pass to Sadiq in that 3rd game vs Guinea Bissau?

Nwakali made his way from midfield, penetratimg final third spaces and sleekily locating Sadiq. A moment of pure midfield artistry but no... he was denied an assist due to Sadiq's big miss. But you ignore that and scream No Goals, No Assists. grin

Now this takes me to the final point.... which I will drop in the next post.

Did Onyedika play against the Algeria team B?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 1:34pm On Nov 12, 2022
Daninya33:

Why are we not putting international friendlies to good use?,Is it not an avenue to assess players strengths and weaknesses?.
We have a large poll of players that can add depth and grit to the Super Eagles Team A and B,U23 and U20 national team.

JP doesn't strike me as a coach who is ready to try new things.

We keep squandering opportunities to try new players most especially in midfield which is our major challenge.

@TheSupernerd has been honest and patriotic in his analysis of our midfield dilemma.
We already know what Ndidi,Etebo,Iwobi and Aribo can offer in midfield and it is not good enough.
I don't even rate Bonnke and Frank.

Hey, it's time the coaches give opportunity to players like Alhassan Yusuf,Kelechi Nwakali,Onyedika,Ejaria and others.

We cannot keep repeating the same thing and expecting the same result.

We all saw what the midfield trio of Didier Deschamps,Zidane and Djorkneff achieved in France 1998. It was a balanced midfield.

I rate Etebo and Frank because of the uniqueness of their contributions to the dynamics of a game.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:45pm On Nov 12, 2022
Frank Onyeka my guy balling against man city grin cheesy

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:47pm On Nov 12, 2022
Onyeka onye ball cheesy

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 12, 2022
Onyeka wey dem dey bash… na him dey ball so?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:52pm On Nov 12, 2022
Truidstar:
Onyeka wey dem dey bash… na him dey ball so?
the guy na carpenter and pressing merchant with no balling skills and brain cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:01pm On Nov 12, 2022
Yes he did and he was impressive and I mentioned it here on this thread but we can't count that because that wasn't a recognised friendly.

His official debut came vs Algeria's main team for just 5 bloody mins.

AndSunGorilla:

Did Onyedika play against the Algeria team B?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daninya33: 2:18pm On Nov 12, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Lesley Ugochukwu is a fine Midfield talent but he offers more on the defensive side than on the offensive. Comfortable playing at the base of midfield in a midfield 3 and also decent in a midfield 2 but his qualities are seen more in defensive actions and his tactical positioning in the middle.

For Rennes, he has mainly featured as a CDM and CM and he's done pretty okay so far.

He does get forward a few times but his offensive side isn't as strong. He is strong on the ball and in duels and his ball playing is decent but from games I've seen of the lad his press resistance impresses me so far. Quite decent at his age.

He's still just 18 so he is bound to manifest more qualities or improve in certain qualities with time.

Overall, a fine prospect.

Thanks for sharing Doc.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:36pm On Nov 12, 2022
24 years old Bright Osayi-Samuel is honoured to get a Nigeria call up. He's played predominantly on the right hand side this season for Fenerbahçe either as a full back, wingback or as a midfielder.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:46pm On Nov 12, 2022
Naija battle in Serie A: Osimhen vs Success x Ehizibue

It's Napoli vs Udinese in Matchday 15. Final matchday in the league before the World Cup kicks off.

Victor "Monster Machine" Osimhen starts for Napoli.

Kingsley Ehizibue starts for Udinese.

Isaac "The Beast" Success benched.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 3:01pm On Nov 12, 2022
Daninya33:

Why Ngandeu was left out of the world cup list by Song

I have just learned from a source, that Ngadeu is indeed the cause of his non-selection in the World Cup.

After the match against Burundi in June 2022, Zambo Anguissa and Ngadeu fought in the locker room to the point of promising death, hence the exit of the President of the Fecafoot which caused much ink to flow.

Then a decision of sanction will be taken with the requirement to sign an act of peace within the den and to ask forgiveness to the staff and its staff.

This was done by Zambo Anguissa this week, but Ngadeu was clearly opposed to this and refused to sign at the point of giving conditions.

The day before yesterday after the game against Jamaica, the coach and manager Rigobert Song spoke at length on the phone with Gadeu before the release of the official list. Ngadeu categorically refused to comply, hence his absence from the squad that will represent us in the World Cup.

Good luck to the rest of the national team

TeboPost
Fit to Publish

are you a Cameroonian??

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:13pm On Nov 12, 2022
Amedino99:
are you a Cameroonian??
u no knw am? cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 3:16pm On Nov 12, 2022
Headmaster have done it again

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by austineaddy: 3:16pm On Nov 12, 2022
Osimhen with the goal

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Koboko99(m): 3:16pm On Nov 12, 2022
It’s VICTOR OSIMHEN AGAIN!!!! Wonder boy don scoreeee!!!!

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:16pm On Nov 12, 2022
Kevin Akpoguma starts for Hoffenheim vs Wolfsburg.

Taiwo Awoniyi on the bench for Forest vs Palace. No Dennis.

Michael Olise and Eberechi Eze start for Palace.

Chidera Ejuke benched for Hertha Berlin vs FC Koln.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:17pm On Nov 12, 2022
Victor!!! Osimhen!!

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 3:18pm On Nov 12, 2022
Again oooo

Capocannoniere

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (13793) (13794) (13795) (13796) (13797) (13798) (13799) ... (16355) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Zonofman(m), Philosopher1979, charlesemeka85(m), kennysville(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.