Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,193 members, 7,864,099 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 11:51 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1432) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11950839 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1429) (1430) (1431) (1432) (1433) (1434) (1435) ... (16364) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mumemma: 10:28am On Sep 05, 2017
ChrisKels:

Yep my bad, it wasn't Balogun that got yellow carded in Uyo and Yaounde. As a matter of factly, nobody got yellows successively. Ighalo and Moses plus Mikel(I guess) all got their yellows in either of the two matches, hence barring any injury we should have a full battalion against the Zambians in Uyo.

Thanks for that correction miss.

Off point : plz stop making mention of Ifeanyi udeze and Oshaniwa here

Oya bring Babayero
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by FabioPeter: 10:30am On Sep 05, 2017
comodo:
We should applaud the man for giving his team no worries at the back in such a game. He did well for a first timer. Yes a rush of blood made him to conceed the penalty, but before then, the same scenario happened in the 1st half, he stood his ground guarding the sticks before shehu cleared the line, I saw shehu talking to him with the sign that he should have come out for the ball. But am happy that when he was finally called up, he rose to the occasion. That stop was world class.we should say a big well done to him for not letting us down.

Hopefully we qualify for the World Cup finals, I doubt he would have gained sufficient experience to be first choice.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:34am On Sep 05, 2017
Enyeama returns

Good news Gentlemen and ladies...... But somehow against the odds.... Vincent Enyeama is back on the field training smiley

He posted a video of himself in training thanking God for the progress of his recovery.... He was just involved in Catching drills nothing major.

He is not 100% yet but his progress is very very encouraging....

His tweet: " Thank God. Happy 2 be back on de field apres 4mois. Special to my Kine n Doc France n Thibaut. Also de kines n Doc of proA. De race continues.."

"Apres 4mois" means after four months.

"Kine(s)" means Kinesiologist(s).

#SeeYouSoonVincent

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:49am On Sep 05, 2017
mumemma:

Oya bring Babayero
Lol u dun kolo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:00am On Sep 05, 2017
ChrisKels:
Thanks to our boys and the technical staff for sticking to their tactics to secure these four points in the double header against the Lions of Cameroun. Great coaches are always cautious of their approaches to games hence, sometimes u win dirty. That was the game plan but it didn't quite work out. That said, without any injury concern, this is what our next list should look like, come September.

Goalkeepers ; Ikechukwu Ezenwa (FC
IfeanyiUbah); Dele Alampasu (Cesarense FC,
Portugal); Daniel Akpeyi (Chippa United)

Defenders: William Ekong (Bursaspor FC,
Turkey); Abdullahi Shehu (Anorthosis
Famagusta, Cyprus); Leon Balogun (FSV Mainz
05, Germany); Tyronne Ebuehi (ADO Den Haag,
The Netherlands); Elderson Echiejile (Sivasspor
FC, Turkey); Chidozie Awaziem (Nantes FC,
France); Ola Aina (Hull City, England)

Midfielders: Mikel John Obi (Tianjin Teda,
China); Ogenyi Onazi (Trabzonspor FC, Turkey);
Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City, England);
Oghenekaro Etebo (CD Feirense, Portugal); John
Ogu (Hapoel Be’er Sheva, Israel); Joel Obi Chukwuma (Torino Italy)

Forwards: Kelechi Iheanacho (Leicester City,
England); Moses Simon (KAA Gent, Belgium);
Alex Iwobi (Arsenal FC, England); Odion Ighalo
(Chang Chun-Yatai, China); Victor Moses
(Chelsea FC, England); Henry Onyekuru (Anderlecht Belgium) ; Olanrewaju Kayode (Girona Spain)

STANDBY: Uche Agbo (Standard Liege,
Belgium); Kenneth Omeruo (Kasimpasa turkey); Noah Joel Sareren Bazee (Hannover Germany); Omatsone Aluko(Reading England); Azubike Okechukwu (yenimeylaspor turkey); Anthony Nwakaeme (Hapoel Sheva, Israel) ; Peter Olayinka (Zulte waregem belgium) ;Nura Abdullahi (Roma Italy) ;Mikel Agu (bursaspor turkey). Ahmed Musa (Leicester City,
England);

Musa to the standby list while kayode takes his place on the main list.
Mikel Agu to the standby list to create space for Joel Obi on the main list
The trio of Stephen Eze, Aaron Samuel, ALHASSAN IBRAHIM should make way for Sone Aluko, Azubike Okey, Sareren Bazee, Peter Olayinka on the standby list. grin

Apart from your defense and midfield which are spot on, your goalkeeper and attack get k-legs.

I no wan see Akpeyi and Ezenwa for that list if Enyeama and Nwokolor are available.

Na one day man go stand.

In the attack, Ahmed Musa is still very much needed. Therefore, Onyekuru should be retained in the standby list. grin

However, I don't see why Azubiuke should be ahead of Raheem Lawal when we know he's far better.

People have forgotten that Raheem won the best player of the tournament in the first edition of CAF U23 despite coming third and that he has been playing consistently in Spanish third tier and the Turkish top league for donkey years.

In short, we know he ignored his club to play for us in that competition and that damaged his move to la liga that season. Many of those who ignored the national team for their club then have been given chances and some are still in the national team. You see life!? shocked

That's why I will never stop calling out for his inclusion in the national team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LogoDWhiz(m): 11:01am On Sep 05, 2017
daveP:
Sure. glad it panned out well. longest time man! you try o

Yea, glad with he result even though I'd have been ecstatic with the win.

Yea bro. Been a while. Seem you've changed contact.

Hope school is going on well?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:06am On Sep 05, 2017
War In Cameroon Camp As Coach Broos Publicly Blasts Star players Aboubakar, Bassogog
By Nurudeen Obalola in Yaounde

The coach of the Indomitable Lions Hugo Broos has taken a public swipe at his two best players Vincent Aboubakar and AFCON 2017 Most Valuable Player Christian Bassogog following the 1-1 draw against the Super Eagles of Nigeria in a World Cup qualifying game at the Stade Ahmadou Ahijo in Yaounde on Monday evening, Cameroon media has reported.

The outspoken Belgian tactician, not the most diplomatic man in the room, vented his frustrations at the Indomitable Lions’ elimination from the 2018 World Cup qualifying race on the under-performing players at a post-match conference.

Broos explained his decision to not start the duo of Aboubakar and Bassagog, putting the two on the bench before bringing them in in the 65th and 80th minutes respectively.

“I put Abuboukar on the bench to wake him up. I did this once at the AFCON and I just did again. I think his response (to being dropped) was very good. He was present in the game. He understood what I want from him. He is a very good striker, but sometimes he is confused. On the field, he loses a lot of balls and especially, when he has the ball, he always thinks that it is he who must make the difference. That’s why he loses a lot of balls,” Broos said.

Not a flattering testimonial but this was mild compared to Broos’ opinion of China-based Bassagog.

He said: “Christian (Bassagog) was not in charge because he has to change his way of playing. It’s very predictable. If I were 40 years younger, he would never go past me with the ball because everyone knows what he’s going to do. At the AFCON, he emerged MVP because several teams did not know Bassogog. But coaches now know what they need to do when playing against him.”

On how to stop the left-footed stocky attacker, Broos gave a heads up to other coaches.

“It’s very easy to mark Bassagog out. Just put a defender who’s as fast as him and he’s in trouble. So if Christian becomes aware that he will not always take the ball and run, he has to vary his game and he will become a better player,” said the Indomitable Lions coach.

Cameroon have three points from four games and have no hope of making it to the World Cup again even though there are two games left as group leaders Nigeria are already on 10.

Zambia are away in Algeria for the second leg of their own double-header after winning the first leg 3-1 in Ndola last Saturday. The Chipolopolo have four points while the Fenencs are on one point.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/war-cameroon-camp-coach-broos-publicly-blasts-star-players-aboubakar-bassogog/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:08am On Sep 05, 2017
Mikel: Eagles Owe Nigerians A Better World Cup Than Brazil 2014

Super Eagles captain Mikel Obi has vowed that the team will not disappoint if they qualify for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Nigeria are on the verge of reaching their sixth World Cup after their 1-1 draw with Cameroon on Monday in Yaounde night took them six points clear in Group B of African qualifying.

“We have a very good young team, probably the youngest I’ve ever played with,” Mikel said after the match.

“I came into the team and played with greats like Jay Jay Okocha, Nwankwo Kanu and Joseph Yobo who were on their way out.

“I was in the 2014 World Cup team where I thought we didn’t do as well as we should. It was not the best. I hope to go to Russia. We owe Nigerians a better World Cup than Brazil 2014.

“If we qualify for Russia 2018, we’ll aim to do much better.”
The Super Eagles’ first World Cup was in 1994 where they reached the second round. Since then they have qualified for every World Cup except Germany 2006.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/mikel-eagles-owe-nigerians-better-world-cup-brazil-2014/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:09am On Sep 05, 2017
blueto:
It is okay to invite Omeruo for the tie. But Awaziem should start, because the Zambians may be looking to exploit omeruo's weakness (if hasn't improved on it) that he showed against them in the first leg which made Nigeria to concede. And Iwobi should also start in place of Simon if he returns from injury and regains fitness before the match.

Iwobi is not a winger to me, he's more a no 10.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:10am On Sep 05, 2017
Oga Forgiveness.... how are you getting on now? Getting much better I hope....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndreTAyodeji(m): 11:12am On Sep 05, 2017
mumemma:

The only clip of Tyronne ve seen was an owngoal.....make d guy wait........
You mean he has scored an owngoal in Nigeria colours?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:12am On Sep 05, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I wonder what you are writing here. It is incoherent. Origi was not a regular at Liverpool before Solanke came. With or without Solanke coming to Liverpool, he would have left Liverpool in search of regular time because he is a quality forward.

Solanke is not one of the top forwards for Liverpool. So in no way does he take credit for Origi's departure. There is no relation in Origi's departure from Liverpool and Solanke's arrival.

That article said nothing. If Solanke is a regular, then it makes sense. He is not. There are players ahead of him.

Origi out Solanke in. Is that too hard to understand? grin

All the matches Liverpool played so far, Solanke was on the bench. Why? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:14am On Sep 05, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Oga Forgiveness.... how are you getting on now? Getting much better I hope....

Man don dey ginger. grin I appreciate your concern. Thanks . grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mumemma: 11:14am On Sep 05, 2017
AndreTAyodeji:
You mean he has scored an owngoal in Nigeria colours?

No na......for imm club...wan kind funny Dutch club like that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:15am On Sep 05, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I wonder what you are writing here. It is incoherent. Origi was not a regular at Liverpool before Solanke came. With or without Solanke coming to Liverpool, he would have left Liverpool in search of regular time because he is a quality forward.

Solanke is not one of the top forwards for Liverpool. So in no way does he take credit for Origi's departure. There is no relation in Origi's departure from Liverpool and Solanke's arrival.

That article said nothing. If Solanke is a regular, then it makes sense. He is not. There are players ahead of him.

I no say you like argument.

The reason why Origi left is simple Solanke has displaced him. Origi played 43 games last season if that's not a regular player, what is. Particularly in a big club with a rotational system.

There are two issues. Here the rising quality of Solanke and the impact of Origi being at Wolfsburg for Osimhen your golden boy and his progression.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:15am On Sep 05, 2017
Enyeama has started light training but he will too match rusty to be invited for the next game.

John Ogu could struggle in a game where we are defending. His strength is keeping the ball and dominating possession. He is not the best tackler and is fairly slow.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:15am On Sep 05, 2017
Iwobi is another who can step into Mikel's role... he is a good ball holder and orchestrator too. Defensively, he is still improving. Kelechi Nwakali is for the future.... he needs this first full season in the dutch eredivisie to build more on his game and potentials but he remains a long term quality solution but not one to be considered outrightly right now.

Ajagun, Joel Obi (if his injury wahala is over), And even Raheem Lawal (played some games under Keshi) should be looked into also.... this Mikel void is very important to fill. Even John Ogu is not a long term solution to the Mikel Void as he isn't one to orchestrate plays much despite his ability to keep possession but I would have preferred he came in for Mikel than a destroyer-like DMF with limited passing range like Agu...

forgiveness:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by whizola: 11:19am On Sep 05, 2017
All hail ‘Balogunbauer’
It is in observing the simplicity of football that we appreciate its complexity.
That there are three basic departments to a team — defence (of which the goalkeeper consists), midfield and attack — is easy enough to grasp, and is essential in understanding what is unfolding. Yet, in any good football team, the interaction between these is fluid enough to create varying levels of originality. All books in the earth, after all, consist of the same letters used in an infinite order of variableness.
What was all that hot air about? Well, the Super Eagles moved one step closer to Russia 2018 with a fine performance in Yaounde, drawing 1–1. For me, it was a very meaningful result; the game in Uyo was something of a caricature, as the latent superiority of Gernot Rohr’s side was greatly exaggerated by the haplessness on the day of the African champions.
The most important thing to pick out is that it showed us the level of selfless sacrifice this team can put in toward achieving a goal. From back to front, there was a focus that has not always been familiar within the national team. As Cameroon dominated the ball, the wingers dropped in and the team was extremely compact out of possession, allowing no ingress whatsoever through the middle of the pitch.
Defensively, there has not been a better display from a Nigerian team in ages. Much praise has gone to the pair of Leon Balogun and William Troost-Ekong (more on them later), and while they were great, it would be a disservice not to acknowledge how well the rest of the side did to make their tasks easier.
Ironically, it was going forward that this team showed some worrying concerns. Averaging 2.5 goals a game, you would not think this side has a problem advancing up the pitch. It is however becoming clear that this team is not just one that counters very well, but may be one better served by employing that by default anyway.
It is well said that you can tell the identity of a team by its style of defensive midfielder. A possession-based team will almost always employ a playmaker at the back of midfield: it needs to circulate the ball and look for gaps, after all. A transition-based team will broadly want an energetic, mobile ball-winner to regain possession and transfer it forward quickly.
Who is the deepest midfielder in the Super Eagles set-up? Ogenyi Onazi, a terrier-like battler who plugs gaps and harries opposing attackers. Interestingly, he is partnered, just ahead, by Wilfred Ndidi, himself a roving ball winner who plays simple, unambitious passes.
The most comfortable the Super Eagles looked last night was when Cameroon had the ball. When the home side’s intensity dropped somewhat, and this team tried to build up, the problem with such a defensive double-pivot in midfield was clear: how to advance the ball into the attackers?
In Mikel John Obi, Victor Moses, Odion Ighalo and Moses Simon, Nigeria have a quartet that seems to riff very well together. Ighalo now offers movement (in a transformation that makes one wonder how far gene splicing has advanced in China), Simon pace, Moses dribbling and Mikel is the binder whose ability to both hold possession and play one-touch passes holds it all together.
How do you get the ball to them when neither of the two deeper midfielders is (a) capable of evading pressure, or (b) passing incisively? That was the major dilemma presented to Nigeria yesterday.
Cameroon’s best openings of the first half came when they pressed Onazi and Ndidi. It didn’t take long to figure out something had to change. The first bit of proper build-up occurred when Mikel came slightly deeper, put his foot on the ball, spun and sprayed the ball wide left. It however leaves the team with one less man in attack.
Realistically, Moses comes inside and the left-back bombs forward to maintain width in this situation. Well, our left-back is Elderson Echiejile. Suffice to say he is no marauding full-back.
So, unorthodox solution. Balogun spent much of the latter part of the first half in a role closely approximating the old-fashioned libero, running with the ball out of defence in order to transfer it forward. Having played at full-back before, and being stationed on the right of Mainz’s back three last season, it is something he definitely has in his toolbox. Problem solved, yes?
Well, no.
First of all, what then happens when the opposition cotton on to this? In the second half, Cameroon got wise to him and proceeded to block him off in the build-up, letting Troost-Ekong have the ball. Did anyone notice how often Ekong gave the ball away in the second period, trying to pass between the lines? That wasn’t his fault.
Secondly, knowing Balogun’s proneness to injury, what happens when he is unavailable? How does this team build up?
I have some solutions, but those will come in a later post. This is already a lot longer than was initially intended. Your resident Super Eagles worrywart will sign out by stating the obvious: this was an immense performance by our young national team, and we are now a point away from making the World Cup. Crazy.
P.S : I would hold off on lighting Ikechukwu Ezenwa’s funeral pyre. His rush of blood to the head is a flaw that extends beyond him to locally-based goalkeepers — judging when and how to come off the line is a frequent weakness. So I would not

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 11:19am On Sep 05, 2017
benitochakone:
Looks like Balogun will miss the match against Zambia. He got a yellow card..or am i missing something. We need Azubuike Okechukwu asap. The good thing is he plays week in week out in the same league Elders on and Ekong play.

He wasn't carded prior to yesterday's game
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:21am On Sep 05, 2017
Joel Obi is in great form and should be given a look in.. He is experienced, plays regularly in a top league and can play the creative role.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 11:23am On Sep 05, 2017
tongue
Daninya11:
Before the WC qualification campaign, I can remember Coach Gernot Rohr saying we need 11 points to qualify and we are 98% there.

We all clamoured for 4 points or at least 3 points against Cameroon and we got 4 .Kudos to the team and the Coaching Crew for a job well done .

But ......

We need to point out to some lapses noticed in the team.

1.We need Enyeama back.Ezenwa is a decent goalkeeper no doubt but in the world cup no room for excuses because you come up against the best. You can refer back to USA 94 against Italy.

2.Rohr should never be in a haste to Substitute Skippo Mikel .The midfield collapses any time he is unavailable or Substituted. I suggest Joel Obi ,Ajagun and Azubuike as like for like replacement. We need someone who can hold the midfield together.

3.Onazi and Ndidi Combo is not good enough. One should be dropped .

4.Echiejele has failed to improve .We need a better replacement ASAP.He overworked Leon Balogun.He shouldn't be in our first 11.He is the weakest line in defence

5.Mikel Agu is no Mikel Obi.If he must play then he should play as a DM.

6.Victor Moses must be a team player.

7.Ezenwa is a decent GK but he is full of theatrics.No be every time dem day play o.

We sometimes say away team hardly win in the NPFL,Same can be said on the African stage.

Zambia has 2 away games.One against Algeria and Nigeria. We are all aware that North African are good at home.They will also play against Cameroon.

We are 98% in Russia 2018.

I pray that the result goes our way tomorrow.

Maybe a 1-0 for Algeria or a barren draw .

Once again kudos to the boys.

A Hausa adage says that no matter how beautiful you are ,you will still have to take of your beauty.

The S.E is not there yet that is why we need objective criticism so that we can return to our glory days when we used to be 5th in the world

We want to go to the world cup and make a significant impact .We don't want to be jokers as some African teams embarrassed us with some shambolic display.

At bolded, we didnt lose the match because of goalkeeper errors. We lost because of recklesness. We played very well up until i think 84th minute when Oliseh inadvertently tried dribbling one Italian player when he should probably have swept the ball into the stands. He lost possession and Baggio promptly slammed the ball into the net
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:23am On Sep 05, 2017
Keep the fire burning Man..... wink

forgiveness:

Man don dey ginger. grin I appreciate your concern. Thanks . grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndreTAyodeji(m): 11:31am On Sep 05, 2017
mumemma:

No na......for imm club...wan kind funny Dutch club like that.
OK.....but i think he is a good player and with time he will get his chance.I will be happy if Rohr play him against a less physical Algeria in our last group game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:39am On Sep 05, 2017
Saw a clip of the Super Eagles celebrations with Team theme songs on their plane flight back to Nigeria.... looolll

Provided by the NGSuperEagles twitter handle....

https://twitter.com/NGSuperEagles/status/904980819638439936

Iheanacho, Musa, Awaziem, John Ogu and more all led in rendition of beautiful theme songs for the team with Iheanacho in front.... Hahahaha and Musa just behind him singing happily and passionately.... Mehn... musa sabi sing ooo... Hahahaha..

But I observed the calm and cool of Team leaders Mikel Obi and Leon Balogun.... they were just seated and calm.... they were Happy too but their minds dey far ahead of the youngsters... Now that is the matured leadership I am talking about. And later una go dey ask funny questions like "How do you know if Mikel was not part of the silly party?"

That Video clip is your answer to how Mikel and Balogun carry themselves in this team... they are truly the leaders. Kudos Men.... kudos Boys... We are almost in Russia.

Russia 2018 will as I long predicted be the first real tournament for this Rising new Super Golden Generation for Nigerian Football..... let's keep the march on.... forward ever, stagnant never, backward impossible... #SoarSuperEagles

Many thanks again to all members of #TheSilentCrew for making their presence registered. It was good to meet and hear a little from you all. Godbless.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndreTAyodeji(m): 11:43am On Sep 05, 2017
whizola:
All hail ‘Balogunbauer’
It is in observing the simplicity of football that we appreciate its complexity.
That there are three basic departments to a team — defence (of which the goalkeeper consists), midfield and attack — is easy enough to grasp, and is essential in understanding what is unfolding. Yet, in any good football team, the interaction between these is fluid enough to create varying levels of originality. All books in the earth, after all, consist of the same letters used in an infinite order of variableness.
What was all that hot air about? Well, the Super Eagles moved one step closer to Russia 2018 with a fine performance in Yaounde, drawing 1–1. For me, it was a very meaningful result; the game in Uyo was something of a caricature, as the latent superiority of Gernot Rohr’s side was greatly exaggerated by the haplessness on the day of the African champions.
The most important thing to pick out is that it showed us the level of selfless sacrifice this team can put in toward achieving a goal. From back to front, there was a focus that has not always been familiar within the national team. As Cameroon dominated the ball, the wingers dropped in and the team was extremely compact out of possession, allowing no ingress whatsoever through the middle of the pitch.
Defensively, there has not been a better display from a Nigerian team in ages. Much praise has gone to the pair of Leon Balogun and William Troost-Ekong (more on them later), and while they were great, it would be a disservice not to acknowledge how well the rest of the side did to make their tasks easier.
Ironically, it was going forward that this team showed some worrying concerns. Averaging 2.5 goals a game, you would not think this side has a problem advancing up the pitch. It is however becoming clear that this team is not just one that counters very well, but may be one better served by employing that by default anyway.
It is well said that you can tell the identity of a team by its style of defensive midfielder. A possession-based team will almost always employ a playmaker at the back of midfield: it needs to circulate the ball and look for gaps, after all. A transition-based team will broadly want an energetic, mobile ball-winner to regain possession and transfer it forward quickly.
Who is the deepest midfielder in the Super Eagles set-up? Ogenyi Onazi, a terrier-like battler who plugs gaps and harries opposing attackers. Interestingly, he is partnered, just ahead, by Wilfred Ndidi, himself a roving ball winner who plays simple, unambitious passes.
The most comfortable the Super Eagles looked last night was when Cameroon had the ball. When the home side’s intensity dropped somewhat, and this team tried to build up, the problem with such a defensive double-pivot in midfield was clear: how to advance the ball into the attackers?
In Mikel John Obi, Victor Moses, Odion Ighalo and Moses Simon, Nigeria have a quartet that seems to riff very well together. Ighalo now offers movement (in a transformation that makes one wonder how far gene splicing has advanced in China), Simon pace, Moses dribbling and Mikel is the binder whose ability to both hold possession and play one-touch passes holds it all together.
How do you get the ball to them when neither of the two deeper midfielders is (a) capable of evading pressure, or (b) passing incisively? That was the major dilemma presented to Nigeria yesterday.
Cameroon’s best openings of the first half came when they pressed Onazi and Ndidi. It didn’t take long to figure out something had to change. The first bit of proper build-up occurred when Mikel came slightly deeper, put his foot on the ball, spun and sprayed the ball wide left. It however leaves the team with one less man in attack.
Realistically, Moses comes inside and the left-back bombs forward to maintain width in this situation. Well, our left-back is Elderson Echiejile. Suffice to say he is no marauding full-back.
So, unorthodox solution. Balogun spent much of the latter part of the first half in a role closely approximating the old-fashioned libero, running with the ball out of defence in order to transfer it forward. Having played at full-back before, and being stationed on the right of Mainz’s back three last season, it is something he definitely has in his toolbox. Problem solved, yes?
Well, no.
First of all, what then happens when the opposition cotton on to this? In the second half, Cameroon got wise to him and proceeded to block him off in the build-up, letting Troost-Ekong have the ball. Did anyone notice how often Ekong gave the ball away in the second period, trying to pass between the lines? That wasn’t his fault.
Secondly, knowing Balogun’s proneness to injury, what happens when he is unavailable? How does this team build up?
I have some solutions, but those will come in a later post. This is already a lot longer than was initially intended. Your resident Super Eagles worrywart will sign out by stating the obvious: this was an immense performance by our young national team, and we are now a point away from making the World Cup. Crazy.
P.S : I would hold off on lighting Ikechukwu Ezenwa’s funeral pyre. His rush of blood to the head is a flaw that extends beyond him to locally-based goalkeepers — judging when and how to come off the line is a frequent weakness. So I would not
What an insightful post.Thumbs Up!!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:48am On Sep 05, 2017
Mujtahida:

Your analysis is deep. For the life of me I can't understand why John Ogu has been turned into a bench warmer yet he constantly gets invited but never gets to play. Nobody knows why.

the only thing we know is that he is a nice training material for the starters, but I don't understand why we are inviting him to just be a clone for others, if I were in his shoes I would be angry

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:49am On Sep 05, 2017
Super Eagles Player Ratings – Shehu Abdullahi MOTM, Victor Moses, Ighalo & Onazi Impresses

The Super Eagles of Nigeria were held to a 1-1 draw by host Cameroon in yesterday’s World Cup 2018 Qualifiers in Yaounde. Owngoalnigeria.com Patrick ‎Joel who watched the game live rates the Nigerian players who played in the tie.

Ratings :

Ikechukwu Ezenwa – Very assured in dealing with crosses into the box, and displayed fine reflex and reactionary when Cameroon sort to take the lead. Should have done better with the challenge that lead to the penalty awarded to Cameroon…. 7/10

Shehu Abdullahi – Man of The Match display from the Cyprus based defender. Solid in defending, joined the attack when he needed to and also looked very comfortable in possession. Didn’t miss a single tackle all game long….. 8.5/10

Elderson Echiejile – Copped with all that was thrown at him until the introduction of Christian Bassogog in the second half. Struggled to keep up with the pace of the MVP of the last AFCON but still did enough to keep him out of Nigeria’s box…..6.5/10

William Troost–Ekong – Made one decisive tackle in the box and several more outside. Full of energy, strenth and very solid in aerial duels. Only thing missing in his game has to be his inability to pick a correct pass from the back…..7/10

Leon Balogun – A German gift to Nigeria. Bossed the game and moved the ball out of defence majestically. Picked up a booking but it still didn’t affect his over influence in the game. His class has never been in doubt…..8/10

Wilfred Ndidi – Worked tirelessly in the middle, and covered lot of grounds. Solid in tackles and not scared of getting stuck in. His work rate was key to Nigeria in defence and attack…. 8/10

Ogenyi Onazi – Another disciplined performance from the Trabzonspor man. Mopped up all loose balls with ease. Won back possession for Nigeria countless time and not until his legs gave away Cameroon found it hard to get pass him in front of the Nigerian defence….. 7.5/10

Mikel Obi – His confidence on the ball under pressure clearly showed his class. Wasn’t quite as influential as he was in the first class in Uyo, but did enough to prove why he is the captain. His withdrawal lead to the collapse of the midfield of Nigeria…..7.5/10

Moses Simon – Took his goal nicely and looked very dangerous on the ball. Helped Abdullahi in defending as well and showed no sign of fatigue despite lasting the entire duration of both games against Cameroon withing a space of three days….. 8/10

Victor Moses – A firm fans favourite. A class above every other player on the pitch for both teams. Cameroon had to resort to fouling him to keep him quiet. Surely the livewire of this Nigerian team in attack…..8/10

Odion Ighalo – Dangerous with his back at goal and even when he is up with his man. His hold up play is simply brilliant and it lead to Nigeria’s only goal. Struggled to maintain his pace in the second half, as he wasn’t fully fit for the tie after picking up a knock in the first tie on Friday…..8/10

Substitutes :

Mikel Agu – Looked lost in the middle after coming on for Mikel. Gave away possession cheaply which cost Nigeria the lead….. 4/10

Kelechi Iheanacho – Struggled against the physically imposing defenders of Cameroon and came on at a time when Nigeria have lost their strong hold on the game, hence he got no service to wreck havoc….. 5/10

Oghenekaro Etebo – Added urgency to the play of Nigeria and was very eager to get on the ball. His introduction stemmed the wave of attacks Cameroon were launching….. 5.5/10

Patrick Joel LIVE in Yaoundé

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/09/05/super-eagles-player-ratings-shehu-abdullahi-motm-victor-moses-ighalo-onazi-impresses/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:00pm On Sep 05, 2017
forgiveness:

indubitable! buy he played and scored from that position against Zambia and also made other brilliant passes. He can also timely switch to the center from the wings.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:04pm On Sep 05, 2017
Broos: Cameroon Will Help Nigeria Qualify For World Cup

Cameroon coach Hugo Broos has promised to help the Super Eagles qualify for the 2018 World Cup after his own team crashed out of the race on Monday, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

The Indomitable Lions drew 1-1 with Nigeria here in Yaounde on Monday to end the African champions’ World Cup dreams, while Nigeria opened up a six-point gap in Group B of the African qualifying series.

“We are an ambitious team and we had two goals early this year: to win the Africa Cup of Nations and qualify for the World Cup,” Broos said.

“But in life it’s almost impossible to achieve all your goals. We were poor on Friday, but on Monday we did a very good performance. If we had been a little lucky we could have won.

“We’ve had some luck before, but this time we weren’t so lucky. We’re out ofbthe World Cup, but we will take our remaining two games very seriously and try to beat Zambia away and Algeria here.

“Maybe we’ll help our friends Nigeria to qualify by beating Zambia and Algeria.”

Broos, who has been under attack in the Cameroon media, insists that he wants to stay on and build another successful team.

“We’re in a bad phase at the moment but we need to be patience and try to develop for the next AFCON,” he added.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/broos-cameroon-will-help-nigeria-qualify-world-cup/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:05pm On Sep 05, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Iwobi is another who can step into Mikel's role... he is a good ball holder and orchestrator too. Defensively, he is still improving. Kelechi Nwakali is for the future.... he needs this first full season in the dutch eredivisie to build more on his game and potentials but he remains a long term quality solution but not one to be considered outrightly right now.

Ajagun, Joel Obi (if his injury wahala is over), And even Raheem Lawal (played some games under Keshi) should be looked into also.... this Mikel void is very important to fill. Even John Ogu is not a long term solution to the Mikel Void as he isn't one to orchestrate plays much despite his ability to keep possession but I would have preferred he came in for Mikel than a destroyer-like DMF with limited passing range like Agu...

If that be the case I will like to see play in that role for both club and national team consecutively before the world cup.

I don't buy the idea of using players in a makeshift positions just to accommodate them in the team.However, Joel Obi is the man able to replace Mikel Obi in this role and he is still very young. I don't think he is using his football age, so I think he will be around for another 7 - 8 years provided he stays injury free.
grin

He is the best amoung the lots and plays regularly in that role in a better league where CMF is highly emphasised.

For now, Nwakali must prove himself in his club before he's considered for the future.

We all saw Azeez Ramon who was the third best in the U17 world cup not living up to expectation though he bloomed ahead of his peers.

If Joel Obi is not in the team OTHERS can be considered. I mean Abdul, Raheem, Sokari, Azubiuke etc. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 12:06pm On Sep 05, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

I doubt any of these players can do what mikel does. It's not just about being creative, you can see sometimes that Mikel just slows the ball down to a halt so that everybody can cool down and the opposing team will lose steam, Iwobi for sure cannot do this he doesn't have the stamina to do that. it's not about who can pass the ball quicker but who can hold the ball when there is too much pressure, that's what we are missing without Mikel

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:08pm On Sep 05, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Keep the fire burning Man..... wink

Yeah! Thank.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1429) (1430) (1431) (1432) (1433) (1434) (1435) ... (16364) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: codemaniacs, daveP(m), Goke7 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.