Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,971 members, 7,814,288 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:32 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14629) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11637471 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14626) (14627) (14628) (14629) (14630) (14631) (14632) ... (16140) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:28am On May 23, 2023
komekn:

I would say very poor, average a big No, he has been quite disappointing.

However, when he played for Liverpool he was the oustanding super sub. I have to say he was not the best in training, a lazy trainer.

So in your own words a player that has been very poor away from Liverpool is good enough for them but a player who has been balling out and just proved himself in their league is not. Does that make any sense?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 11:13am On May 23, 2023
Danielnino00:
I just watched the Vinicius reel of the many racist abuse he has received from fans in the La Liga.. it's disgusting.. quite shockingly,it has gone unnoticed and unpunished by the league hierarchy...

This is one of the things that set the premier league apart...racism exists there,yes, but actions are taken against offenders.. other leagues just don't seem to care
very disgusting for a big league like laliga

Such rarely happens in the epl
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:17am On May 23, 2023
Disgraceful really. Read the infuriating statement by the la liga president.

How can you be attacking Vinicius for rightly reacting against filthy racists chants. This nonsense has been happening since the days of E'too but sadly the Spanish football authority hasn't shown enough boldness to stop it.

Danielnino00:
I just watched the Vinicius reel of the many racist abuse he has received from fans in the La Liga.. it's disgusting.. quite shockingly,it has gone unnoticed and unpunished by the league hierarchy...

This is one of the things that set the premier league apart...racism exists there,yes, but actions are taken against offenders.. other leagues just don't seem to care

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:19am On May 23, 2023
B/ball fans what happened to the Lakers that they were swept so easily like that?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 11:37am On May 23, 2023
Danielnino00:

This isn't exactly accurate though. What the EPL does better than the others is grandstand and posture, but when it comes to addressing racism they are all the same. Isn't it the same England that Saka and 2 others were subjected to racist abuse after that euros penalty misses?

The EPL has learnt from the USA playbook;
Just kneel before every match, wear special wrist bands, donate to causes that "fight racism" etc. The most important thing is that you be seen as an ally.

Sadly, we can only learn to manage these things, racism isn't going anywhere. It's hate plain and simple and It is innate to the fallen man. It disguises itself in different shades and nomenclature but borne of the same source. It's called tribalism in African parlance but racism abroad. We saw it in our elections just a few months ago. It rares it's ugly head on this platforms too from time to time.

I wish there was a legislative solution to this, but you can't legislate love into people's heart.

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 12:06pm On May 23, 2023
chrisooblog:
B/ball fans what happened to the Lakers that they were swept so easily like that?

They tried all they could , especially in game 4 but for every offence they brought Nugget with J. Murray and Jokic had a reply. It's just Nuggets time . Their first NBA finals in the history of their franchise. And the number one team in the league all season. They are the real stuff. But how they swept AD and Lebron is puzzling. I mean Lakers couldn't even win one game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:09pm On May 23, 2023
chrisooblog:

Lakers overachieved to get to that point and Denver were just too good for them at the end of the day.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:24pm On May 23, 2023
quality post. "you can't legislate love"

lovewins:

This isn't exactly accurate though. What the EPL does better than the others is grandstand and posture, but when it comes to addressing racism they are all the same. Isn't it the same England that Saka and 2 others were subjected to racist abuse after that euros penalty misses?

Just kneel before every match, wear special wrist bands, donate to causes that "fight racism" etc. The most important thing is that you be seen as an ally.

Sadly, we can only learn to manage these things, racism isn't going anywhere. It's hate plain and simple and It is innate to the fallen man. It disguises itself in different shades and nomenclature but borne of the same source. It's called tribalism in African parlance but racism abroad. We saw it in our elections just a few months ago. It rares it's ugly head on this platforms too from time to time.

I wish there was a legislative solution to this, but you can't legislate love into people's heart.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:44pm On May 23, 2023
BascoVanVeli:

So in your own words a player that has been very poor away from Liverpool is good enough for them but a player who has been balling out and just proved himself in their league is not. Does that make any sense?

It's not so simplistic.

Awoniyi is a very different type of player to Origi.

And because it didn't work for Origi in AC Milan doesn't automatically mean it will work for Awoniyi in Liverpool.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 2:02pm On May 23, 2023
lovewins:

Actually you are limiting the scope of racism.

Racist Name calling and abuse , is largely inconsequential although not nice. To lay emphasis on this area of racism evades the core issue.

Equality of opportunity

Considering the number of black football ⚽ players who have performed at the highest level.

You will not find a single Black Manager in the EPL and we have two in Championship.

How many academy directors, heads of recruitment and even academy coaches are black in England. Therein lies the problem.

Darren Moore current Manager of Sheffield Wednesday was appointed interim manager of West Bromwich Albion when they were in the EPL.

He did an astounding job beyond all expectations what was really a poisoned chalice. As a consequence they had no choice but to give him the job , he had an unbeaten run of game's even beating Manchester United and giving the title as a consequence to Manchester city. Nonetheless they were still RELEGATED.

As WBA manager he got sacked when they were 4th position in the Championship.

Currently Sheffield Wednesday had the longest unbeaten record in all the leagues of Europe.

They are in the playoffs now and in pole position to get back to the Championship. They overturned a 3-0 deficit to get to the play off final.

If Darren Moore was white he would be managing an EPL team.

Racism is both conscious and unconscious but it's endemic and institutional. This is a an industry that very perceptive led and subjective so racism rule's.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clint02(m): 2:02pm On May 23, 2023
It seems our u20 boys are really u20.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 2:19pm On May 23, 2023
Clint02:
wetin happened?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 3:01pm On May 23, 2023
Gambia’s u20 goal scorer is their best player
He’s good
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 3:02pm On May 23, 2023
Clint02:
We’ve been fielding the right players since 2013 for youth tournaments
The scan also screens some players unluckily
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 3:06pm On May 23, 2023
komekn:

Actually you are limiting the scope of racism.

Racist Name calling and abuse , is largely inconsequential although not nice. To lay emphasis on this area of racism evades the core issue.

Equality of opportunity

Considering the number of black football ⚽ players who have performed at the highest level.

You will not find a single Black Manager in the EPL and we have two in Championship.

How many academy directors, heads of recruitment and even academy coaches are black in England. Therein lies the problem.

Darren Moore current Manager of Sheffield Wednesday was appointed interim manager of West Bromwich Albion when they were in the EPL.

He did an astounding job beyond all expectations what was really a poisoned chalice. As a consequence they had no choice but to give him the job , he had an unbeaten run of game's even beating Manchester United and giving the title as a consequence to Manchester city. Nonetheless they were still RELEGATED.

As WBA manager he got sacked when they were 4th position in the Championship.

Currently Sheffield Wednesday had the longest unbeaten record in all the leagues of Europe.

They are in the playoffs now and in pole position to get back to the Championship. They overturned a 3-0 deficit to get to the play off final.

If Darren Moore was white he would be managing an EPL team.

Racism is both conscious and unconscious but it's endemic and institutional. This is a an industry that very perceptive led and subjective so racism rule's.

I didn't limit the scope of racist. There was a context to the conversation. What I did was shine the light on the root of it which is hate.

While I also agree that racist name calling and abuses are largely inconsequential, the reactions from Vini's experience suggest otherwise. Many persons (and rightly so) are not built to consider it as such.

I personally do not subscribe to the "institutional racism" narrative. I believe it's a more nuanced conversation. I think that racism is quite serious, unfortunately we've used it so much for things that aren't remotely racist that it's beginning to lose its potency.

I do believe that everyone, irrespective of race have unconscious bias. By our lived experience, we sometimes believe that certain persons are better suited for certain roles. It most times have nothing to do with hate, it's just how we've learnt to do this. It's why though women's football is played 100% by women, we have less than 30% women coaches handling these teams. It's got nothing to do with hate, it's just how the world has learnt to do things and of course evolution will occur with time.

It's why I am a vast supporter of equality of opportunity. It's how we give people the chance to do damage to our biases. Equality of opportunity however isn't necessarily equality of outcome.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 3:16pm On May 23, 2023
lovewins:

You're right... Racism isn't something that might never ever go away ..it's in human nature...
However,with regards to the context which is how it is being handled, the premier league is still at least making sure that it doesn't become a norm... Hardly will u see fans chanting such racist slurs at a player and go unpunished.
La Liga is sending the wrong message if they don't deal with it sooner...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 3:19pm On May 23, 2023
chrisooblog:

Honestly,I expected it to be a competitive matchup.. but it appears that the Nuggets have more quality than the Lakers, and were more consistent.......
If the Celtics get swept tonight,it will be the biggest shocker 🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 3:33pm On May 23, 2023
Danielnino00:

You're right... Racism isn't something that might never ever go away ..it's in human nature...
However,with regards to the context which is how it is being handled, the premier league is still at least making sure that it doesn't become a norm... Hardly will u see fans chanting such racist slurs at a player and go unpunished.

Apart from the grandstanding gesture I cited earlier, can you give clarity to how the EPL is "making sure" it isn't a norm?

BTW, I agree the La Liga should do something. Vini's experience wasn't an isolated incident with a few fans. Large number of persons chanting racist expletives is concerning and should be a lot easier to deal with.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 3:35pm On May 23, 2023
Danielnino00:

Honestly,I expected it to be a competitive matchup.. but it appears that the Nuggets have more quality than the Lakers, and were more consistent.......
If the Celtics get swept tonight,it will be the biggest shocker 🤣

While I wasn't expecting a 4-0 result, I wasn't also expecting the Lakers to carry the day. They barely got into the playoffs and didn't exactly have a great season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 3:51pm On May 23, 2023
Danielnino00:

la Liga's way of dealing with such issues is to report them to the courts. Unless they start to impose sanctions to the clubs themselves, nothing will change. One of this racism claim against vinicius this season was squashed by prosecutors based on one filmsy excuse of sporting rivalry. Affected clubs should be fined and if their supporters still persist they should start deducting points. By doing so, the clubs will start putting in measures in place to combat this. I even like how the Brazilian govt is putting pressure on them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 3:56pm On May 23, 2023
komekn:

Statistics are indicative not conclusive.

It's quite possible in fact I am almost certain Ndidi had better statistics than Ngole Kante when it comes to tackles and maybe interceptions. But did anybody EVER think Ndidi was better than Ngole.

I don't think 💬 so.

Some of you guys here are obsessed with statistics and looking at player ratings and using that as the singular basis for player quality.

It's a very very flawed approach.

Stats alone may not show all there is to a player, but we know that they reveal a player's quality to a great extent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 4:21pm On May 23, 2023
Papi85:
very disgusting for a big league like laliga

Such rarely happens in the epl

When barca fans keep saying tebas is killing Laliga ,Madrid fans where supporting him because the agenda he has against Barca

Guy man is not interested in doing anything against racism ,but only interested in stopping Barca from signing players and make sure gavi isnt registered ,looking for new rules everyday by day and taking Barca to court

Since this racism issues Madrid fans have seen the light ,man was even commenting on social media going against Vinicius and ancelotti

Tebas suffered the whole 19 Laliga teams this last transfer window expect his team Madrid ,now I am glad even his team want him out now

And as for the epl they have had many racism case than Laliga in the past ,but they know how to handle it better,and they are well organized than Laliga who parade bastardd tebas as president
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 4:23pm On May 23, 2023
chrisooblog:

Eleribu lakers bottled that lead

Well I knew Denver would smoke them
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 4:29pm On May 23, 2023
lovewins:

Epl is the more you look the less you see

They are organized and well packaged though

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 4:31pm On May 23, 2023
Clint02:

I disagree

I only believe our u17 guys
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:34pm On May 23, 2023
Papi85:
Gift Orban🗣 "Do you know why I will never be afraid even against Real Madrid? Because I'm a child off the street.

"My parents both had a house – my father in Nigeria, my mother in Togo. I started playing football in the suburbs of Lagos as a little boy."

Make this boy no play for Togo ooo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 5:45pm On May 23, 2023
forgiveness:

Make this boy no play for Togo ooo.

If Nigeria genuinely invites him over…he will play for us

Same way we can’t fight England for a player,na so Togo 🇹🇬 sef no fit fight us😊

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:53pm On May 23, 2023
elyte89:

Emmanuel Adebayor comes to mind

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 6:23pm On May 23, 2023
elyte89:

When he knows his chances of getting playing time for us is very slim, he may be tempted to go to Togo and be the all in all.

Well, Togo hardly qualifies for tournaments, that's an advantage for us but we still can't say for sure what he will decide.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 6:27pm On May 23, 2023
By the way, if you support tribalism in Nigeria but condemn racism in Spain, I just want to tell you that you are a fowl-brained doltish clown.

Maintain your tribalistic energy everywhere so that thunder can locate you easily.

12 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 6:48pm On May 23, 2023
forgiveness:

Emmanuel Adebayor comes to mind

Dt was y I said genuinely invited over

If u look at Emmanuel Adebayor story…he was not invited over genuinely ,at d lower levels,he was even rejected
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 7:26pm On May 23, 2023
Quick question
Please why is Akinsanmiro not at the u20 world cup

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14626) (14627) (14628) (14629) (14630) (14631) (14632) ... (16140) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Psittacus(m), Samueldodo781(m), villagereporter(m), Oasis007(m), Ikanium(m) and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.