Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,981 members, 7,814,336 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14746) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11637725 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14743) (14744) (14745) (14746) (14747) (14748) (14749) ... (16140) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clint02(m): 7:23pm On Jun 18, 2023
That keeper saved us today.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 7:25pm On Jun 18, 2023
you keep flogging yourself thinking you are making fun of me grin
stop making fuul of yourself, i thought you be better person i no know say your thinking slow putting mouth for language you no understand grin

anyway, paseiro cannot go far in the AFCON with this tactics cuz he brings nothing new to the SE, any Nigerian coach can do what he's doing, so shameful, paying huge money for a useless coach, why not just pick a Nigerian coach!

charlesemeka85:
to me u be oloruburukun 🤣🤣🤣🤣 sounds very similar to ur monicker
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:26pm On Jun 18, 2023
No. The first goal was individual brilliance. The third was thanks to Zaidu's run and Iheanacho's simple finish and smart positioning.

But for the second, it was all Aribo.

I will not take away Credits from Aribo for the second goal. He still showed some flaws in his game today but credits where it is due. He created that second goal.

But my point is this... Aribo is the only one who created anything of note today from the midfield selection. The entire midfield combined struggled to join the chances creation party.

Osimhen finished with 4 chances created including a big chance for Iheanacho. Zaidu was next with 3 chances created.

When your pointman has way more chances created than the team's entire midfield, there is cause for concern. That is part of the points I make on Peseiro's midfield selections and tactical interpretations of how to set up or use the midfield.

Also, how can you say we played counter attack tactics yet we dominated? You contradict yourself.

forgiveness:

The two goals were individual brilliance and resilience of just one player. Nothing more.

It doesn't negate the fact that we dominated the game and had several scoring chances.

I was impressed though there is room for improvement.

The tactics today was spot on whether the striker was creator or not. Abi na striker worked the ball from behind singlehandedly?

He got passes that freed him to give passes that were enough for us to had scored more goals due to the counterattack tactics adopted today. Habamana!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:32pm On Jun 18, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
No. The first goal was individual brilliance. The third was thanks to Zaidu's run and Iheanacho's simple finish and smart positioning.

I will not take away Credits from Aribo for the second goal. He still showed some flaws in his game today but credits where it is due. He created that second goal.

But my point is this... Aribo is the only one who created anything of note today from the midfield selection. The entire midfield combined struggled to join the chances creation party.

Osimhen finished with 4 chances created including a big chance for Iheanacho. Zaidu was next with 3 chances created.

When your pointman has way more chances created than the team's entire midfield, there is cause for concern. That is part of the points I make on Peseiro's midfield selections and tactical interpretations of how to set up or use the midfield.

Also, how can you say we played counter attack tactics yet we dominated? You contradict yourself.

You didn't get my point. I was talking about their 2 goals not ours.

But with that same midfielders, we had more chances in the first half. Is that not true?

Who are you suggesting we play? What was the formation today?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:40pm On Jun 18, 2023
Nigeriagood:
I dey fear you o
433 the most utilized formation today is outdated
read well

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 7:41pm On Jun 18, 2023
Maybe we should give you the coaching job? Abeg NFF come employ this guy!
TheSuperNerd:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:43pm On Jun 18, 2023
Oh okay. Theirs? Well their first goal was nicely worked from the left. Won't call that individual brilliance alone. Bundu was fed a sweet ball and he beat Omeruo for pace to bag that scorcher.

And with the midfield in the first half, yes we had chances but it wasn't down to the midfield entirely. Ndidi didn't even get most of his long balls right. Aribo was hardly involved in that first half bar the sweet assist for Osimhen's second. And Iwobi also struggled a bit although he did have hands in second phase build-up passes. Same as Ndidi.

And I wont call names, but truth remains things would be a lot smoother if we focus on playing the exact player profiles that would elevate our midfield plays beyond kick, rush and hopeful balls.

The formation in the first half was 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-3/4231 depending on Iwobi's positioning in the midfield buildup phases coz he was the link. Aribo was the most advanced of the 3 Midfielders.

Zaidu also played as the most adventurous of the 2 Fullbacks today. Osayi-Samuel had to check his runs and be more defensive.

forgiveness:

You didn't get my point. I was talking about their 2 goals not ours.

But with that same midfielders, we had more chances in the first half. Is thst not true?

Who are you suggesting we play? What was the formation today?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Softbreastt: 7:44pm On Jun 18, 2023
Ndidi is below par technically

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:44pm On Jun 18, 2023
I get dealer for you oh as u dey suffer from withdrawal syndrome.

Marjoribanks:
Shut up! Ode!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 7:48pm On Jun 18, 2023
Cecco90:

Lol.
Actually, anything apart from a win for them is useless. The mistake was in them conceding two first half goals.
We dominated them. A draw was more than enough for them.

They're always the underdogs even if we play in their market square.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:48pm On Jun 18, 2023
Odunayaw:
Very quality move from Zaidu

Meanwhile I hope Bassey gets back on track in his development
sure he will
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 7:49pm On Jun 18, 2023
I don't even know what to believe on this thread anymore because NEPA no gree me watch this match. Some folks here think the keeper was good because he saved 2 goal bound opportunities from the Sierra Leoneans while others think he was poor. Between Iwobi and Aribo, please who performed better?

This is the part where @The Supernerd should come in with his analysis of individual performance.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:50pm On Jun 18, 2023
I dont want the coaching job. I have a job in the medical world.
Also even if I wanted it, I don't meet any of the criteria as I have no coaching certificate. I am rather an analyst of the beautiful game. Last time I checked, there is no qualification/certification for football analysis beyond a true understanding of the game and its tactical and technical interpretations.

I just want us to be better. You, on the other hand, think we are perfect. Different standards birth Different expectations.

Marjoribanks:
Maybe we should give you the coaching job? Abeg NFF come employ this guy!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 7:56pm On Jun 18, 2023
humility33:

And sbortly after the 3 featured home based players abscond to obscure leagues in Latvia, Bulgaria, Lithuania etc and the circle continues

Just say you want the coach to use the national team market home based players to obscure leagues abroad because same home based players have not proved themselves in CHAN or CAF continental competitions to warrant this call
Not at all. A good Coach will blend his foreign based pro with the local based as Clemens Westerhof did in the early 90's and got good results. Marketing them would definitely be to core Western European teams.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 8:00pm On Jun 18, 2023
Odunayaw:
It is not proof of anything

Hunger has nothing to do with ability. Hunger comes a distant 2nd between both.

Best 11 plays. Not some quota system
Quota system applies to ethnicity mainly.
Promoting our league is not akin to using quota system. The Homebased Sierra Leoneans don't even perform near a poor Rivers United team. If you followed Super Eagles from 1990 you will understand my point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 8:01pm On Jun 18, 2023
Amedino99:
can't really see your point. as if we no dey see how home based eagles dey perform for their own competition. We were here when they flunked the chan qualifiers twice in a row.
Poor decision in Coach appointment and players selection cost us the qualifiers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:04pm On Jun 18, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Oh okay. Theirs? Well their first goal was nicely worked from the left. Won't call that individual brilliance alone. Bundu was fed a sweet ball and he beat Omeruo for pace to bag that scorcher.

And with the midfield in the first half, yes we had chances but it wasn't down to the midfield entirely. Ndidi didn't even get most of his long balls right. Aribo was hardly involved in that first half bar the sweet assist for Osimhen's second. And Iwobi also struggled a bit although he did have hands in second phase build-up passes. Same as Ndidi.

And I wont call names, but truth remains things would be a lot smoother if we focus on playing the exact player profiles that would elevate our midfield plays beyond kick, rush and hopeful balls.

The formation in the first half was 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-3/4231 depending on Iwobi's positioning in the midfield buildup phases coz he was the link. Aribo was the most advanced of the 3 Midfielders.

Zaidu also played as the most adventurous of the 2 Fullbacks today. Osayi-Samuel had to check his runs and be more defensive.

The space to beat Omeruo was my highlight of his individual brilliance. Not all players have that courage or technical skill to beat their maker with proper touch of the ball and body movement to free themselves like that. He still had more to do to create space for himself before placing the ball intelligently into the net. That was individual brilliance in my own opinion.

However, their movement off the ball must be put into consideration but i think you didn't consider that.

I saw Aribo and Iwobi marking, chasing the ball, defending etc with the ball. Like pressing the opponent to lose the ball. I think that was not bad.

We played mostly from the lose balls straight to the flanks if you noticed our game.

Anyway, if you think they are not the best pick for the midfield, perhaps, you are expecting then to play in a certain way but the coach is there to take responsibility. You know now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daninya33: 8:07pm On Jun 18, 2023

Jpes has failed to address the main issues of the team. I will opine we find someone better if his contract expires,it should not be renewed.

At least three players from the last U20 team of Ladan Bosso can add depth to the Super Eagles.One can even start at Centre back and Two in Midfield.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 8:08pm On Jun 18, 2023
ecoco2014:
Quota system applies to ethnicity mainly.
Promoting our league is not akin to using quota system. The Homebased Sierra Leoneans don't even perform near a poor Rivers United team. If you followed Super Eagles from 1990 you will understand my point.
Incase you have not noticed, the quality of the local scenes is not the same with the 90s

And you're talking to someone that goes to watch Shooting Stars at Lekan Salami stadium. I'm not just throwing stones.

Anything outside "best man plays" is quota. Quota isn't tied to ethnicity

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:12pm On Jun 18, 2023
Sierra Leone 2-3 Nigeria: Full Time Stats Summary

✅️Alex Iwobi was the most fouled player in the game today (Fouled 3x).

✅️Zaidu Sanusi recorded the most recoveries today (11).

✅️Victor Osimhen created the most chances (4) in the game.

✅️Adebayo Adeleye made 3 saves despite conceeding twice.

✅️Victor Osimhen scored his 2 goals from 3 shots on target and 5 total shots. Missed Zero Big Chances. Clinical.

✅️Kenneth Omeruo Won all 5 of his aerial duels (100% aerial duels success) and recorded 7 duels won overall out of 8.

✅️Wilfred Ndidi completed the most passes (31) in the game. His passing accuracy was 82%

✅️Semi Ajayi recorded the most tackles (4) in the game.

✅️Kenneth Omeruo recorded the most accurate Long balls (7).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:17pm On Jun 18, 2023
Show me one perfect team? No team is perfect but when a coach does well give him his flowers or get a team to coach yourself. I do not understand how you want a team to be perfect with a week of training. Show me an african team with a perfect game in the last week? A midfield of Aribo, Iwobi and Ndidi is the best in this current squad!
TheSuperNerd:
I dont want the coaching job. I have a job in the medical world.
Also even if I wanted it, I don't meet any of the criteria as I have no coaching certificate. I am rather an analyst of the beautiful game. Last time I checked, there is no qualification/certification for football analysis beyond a true understanding of the game and its tactical and technical interpretations.

I just want us to be better. You, on the other hand, think we are perfect. Different standards birth Different expectations.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 8:20pm On Jun 18, 2023
Softbreastt:
Ndidi is below par technically

No b below par…d guy no b am presently..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:20pm On Jun 18, 2023
Sierra Leone's first goal was not individual brilliance because Bundu was well fed from a fine pass. He only had to run to meet the ball, outpacing Omeruo who was back tracking and couldn't catch up.

The off-ball work of the midfield is not what channels my discussion. Generally, they did decently off the ball. You are trying to restrict the midfield discussions to defensive duties whereas I am expanding it to include their on-ball work and duties. The midfield still isn't as smooth in transition and still suffers lapses in offensive plays.

And yes, I don't expect the profiles that executed the midfield roles today to play in a certain way. I know exactly how they play and that is why I ask for upgrades. Iwobi is the only midfielder who will keep his place if we go for upgrades based on the options we have and the expected standards to which our midfield can still perform.

Peseiro is there to take responsibility but I am here to analyse that we can be better and that Peseiro isn't serious about elevating our midfield game.

While he takes responsibility, I will point out if him taking responsibility changes anything. You know this now too.

forgiveness:

The space to beat Omeruo was my highlight of his individual brilliance. Not all players has that courage or technical skill to beat their maker with proper touch of the ball and body movement to free themselves like that. He still had more to do to create space for himself before placing the ball intelligently into the net. That was individual brilliance in my own opinion.

However, their movement off the ball must be put into consideration but i think you didn't consider that.

I saw Aribo and Iwobi marking, chasing the ball, defending etc with the ball. Like pressing the opponent to lose the ball. I think that was not bad.

We played mostly from the lose balls straight to the flanks if you noticed our game.

Anyway, if you think they are not the best pick for the midfield, perhaps, you are expecting then to play in a certain way but the coach is there to take responsibility. You know now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:22pm On Jun 18, 2023
How many local players started for Westerhof at the 1994 world cup? Good local players do not spend a season in the NPFL this age! Get over it!
ecoco2014:
Not at all. A good Coach will blend his foreign based pro with the local based as Clemens Westerhof did in the early 90's and got good results. Marketing them would definitely be to core Western European teams.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:25pm On Jun 18, 2023
Werey! We don win keep crying!
Joebie:
I get dealer for you oh as u dey suffer from withdrawal syndrome.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:25pm On Jun 18, 2023
@Bolded... there was a time I actually agreed with this on this thread and even analysed it and made a full thread on their potential on twitter but I am no longer at this phase. I know much better now. I have outgrown it because I see the several flaws in that set up. But you are still at the phase where they are the best in your eyes. It's fine.

And you ask if there is any perfect team? You are the one always making it seem like the Nigerian Super Eagles don't have problems naa. That we are perfect. Why ask me such a question if you are against me analysing this team and pointing out where we can improve?

The other things you say is just yammerings from thin air. You are forcing assumptions that aren't true. I want us to be better especially with the profiles that I know can give our game a lift. Simple.

Marjoribanks:
Show me one perfect team? No team is perfect but when a coach does well give him his flowers or get a team to coach yourself. I do not understand how you want a team to be perfect with a week of training. Show me an african team with a perfect game in the last week? A midfield of Aribo, Iwobi and Ndidi is the best in this current squad!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 8:26pm On Jun 18, 2023
JohnBullMySon:
We dominated them. A draw was more than enough for them.

They're always the underdogs even if we play in their market square.

They had to win. A draw was never going to be enough.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 8:28pm On Jun 18, 2023
ecoco2014:

There is nothing funny here. Go check the clubsides of the Sierra Leonean National Team players holding you to a draw.
*Abu Dumbuya(East End Lions, Sierra Leone)
*Abu Bakarr Samura(Bo Rangers, Sierra Leone)
*Prince Barrie(Bo Rangers, Sierra Leone)
*Mustapha Bundu(Anderlecht, Belgium)
*Saidu Fofanah(Kallon FC, Sierra Leone)
*Augustus Kargbo(Crotone FC, Italy)
*Alusine Koroma(Linense, Spain)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 8:32pm On Jun 18, 2023
Our attack is World class
Midfield is African class grin
Fullbacks are competent class
Centre backs and goal keepers are ... invisible submarine class cheesy

We focus a lot on our midfield shortcomings but I think we are better in midfield than at Centre back and GK. That's why there really is no spine to this team.

Oh and was it only me that heard the Sierra Leone goal keeper and one of their centre backs were 18 years old. We should fear God more in Africa sha.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 8:34pm On Jun 18, 2023
ecoco2014:

It seems you've not following the super eagles

This guys stephen Eze, Aneke etc and co leave for obscure leagues abroad at the slightest opportunity the coach can't stop them... and after that you barely hear of them again
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:34pm On Jun 18, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Sierra Leone's first goal was not individual brilliance because Bundu was well fed from a fine pass. He only had to run to meet the ball, outpacing Omeruo who was back tracking and couldn't catch up.

The off-ball work of the midfield is not what channels my discussion. Generally, they did decently off the ball. You are trying to restrict the midfield discussions to defensive duties whereas I am expanding it to include their on-ball work and duties. The midfield still isn't as smooth in transition and still suffers lapses in offensive plays.

And yes, I don't expect the profiles that executed the midfield roles today to play in a certain way. I know exactly how they play and that is why I ask for upgrades. Iwobi is the only midfielder who will keep his place if we go for upgrades based on the options we have and the expected standards to which our midfield can still perform.

Peseiro is there to take responsibility but I am here to analyse that we can better and that Peseiro isn't serious about elevating our midfield game.

While he takes responsibility, I will point out if him taking responsibility changes anything. You know this now too.

The bolded sums it up. His space to beat Omeruo and his technique to bury the ball is individual brilliance.

These days, I have the opportunity to watch academy matches 2 to 3 per week and I saw many of these chances missed. Why? The coaches remarks were, he doesn't have the individual brilliance. In fact, they will stop the game and correct the players. Sometimes, they do push up to server as punishment.

These are certified coaches.

So, if you say his space to beat his marker and his ability to score was not individual brilliance, then I don't need to go further.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 8:36pm On Jun 18, 2023
ecoco2014:

*Abu Dumbuya(East End Lions, Sierra Leone)
*Abu Bakarr Samura(Bo Rangers, Sierra Leone)
*Prince Barrie(Bo Rangers, Sierra Leone)
*Mustapha Bundu(Anderlecht, Belgium)
*Saidu Fofanah(Kallon FC, Sierra Leone)
*Augustus Kargbo(Crotone FC, Italy)
*Alusine Koroma(Linense, Spain)

Let the home based stars qualify for CHAN and win continental titles or at least stay competitive prior we flood them into the super eagles team...ok

It seems you play in the NPFL or you're an agent to some of this players with the way you are forcing it down our throat here

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14743) (14744) (14745) (14746) (14747) (14748) (14749) ... (16140) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Oasis007(m), opes, ChrisKels and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.